Check Out My New Arcade Stick! (No Image Quoting)

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,805
    FreedomGundam can you show us how you did the modules? I'd love to see how you wired the PS360+.

Also yeah, stick of the year. Fantastic work.

seeing the DB 25 connector, I think it a similar fashion how rtdzgn wired some of his sticks.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,843
    Modular sticks aren't totally new, but my God, your implementation of the idea is undoubtedly the most fluid and well-conceived version of it. That could seriously be a commercial product the way you designed it.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    That modular stick is boss, extremely clean implementation. Well done dude.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 786
    Fabulous work, FreedomGundam, very smart
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,843
    I don't think I was around long enough to learn the legend of MarkMan, or I at least wasn't a fixture of TT until Madcatz announced their sticks. I honestly didn't know why you had the credibility you did that managed to ease the concerns SRK had over Madcatz making sticks.

Then I saw the pictures, and SDTekken.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,805
    edited December 2013
    Thanks for the great comments guys. I never would've expected this kind positive feedback, even to the extent of considering it as a stick of the year? Wow, I can't re-iterate enough how much of an honor it is to have some of you even think that.

I originally was just going to use this stick as a proof of concept, but I ended up spending so much time on it and I liked the end-result enough that I decided to use it as my main stick. It's going to come it doubly useful when I gut an XBO controller for Killer Instinct.

I actually already have a full (non-split) top-panel cut up with nothign drilled in yet; I was originally going to make a Hitbox panel as well, but then realized I had no more 24mm buttons sitting around.

One thing I wish I did differently was to make the casing a little bit bigger (in all 3 dimensions): as it stands, the innards are a little tight; the joystick bodies and the Run button on the MK layout are very close to the project box for the PCB. I would've liked to make the casing a bit taller and a bit more spaced out so that I would've been able to fit Happ/Il parts into it as well.
    MarkMan wrote: »
    @FreedomGundam I had an idea to implement that a few years ago but it never came to fruition. I was very inspired by the ROYDS stick design but wanted to take it a step further (with the same idea you did), having a fully modular stick and button section. I had a few more ideas to put in, but I'm glad to see the innovation put to test and it looks awesome.

Keep up the good work.
    Thanks for the kind words Markman. As you are one of the most respected stick enthusiasts around here and someone who works in the industry, believe me when I say that your compliments on my work mean a lot to me.
    FreedomGundam can you show us how you did the modules? I'd love to see how you wired the PS360+.
    As Darksakul mentioned, it's just simply connected to the DB-25. The "left half" of the pins of the connector have U/D/L/R/R/L1/L2 and the 8 wires for the RJ-45 output; the "right half" have SL/ST/H/P1/P2/P3/K1/K2/K3; just so there's a nice split down the middle.
    The L1/L2 and RJ-45 wires on the left and SL/ST/H wires on the right go straight along the inner-side of the frame to connect to the appropriate buttons. The wires for the stick and face-buttons are significantly shorter, and just curl right back to the spring connectors.

Just to add on FreedomGundam's Mod. The actual pin assignment on a DB-25 in this case is arbitrary; as long as the pins in the project box matches up with the pins in the stick, that is the only thing that matters.
    FreedomGundam could for example choose Pin 7 for his ground, rtdzng could choose pin number 25, I could choose pin 9 and lets say Missing Person decides to use the shell/shielding for ground. And all of those choices are legit choices.
    Only thing that matters in this kind of mod is that your own pin assignment is consistent to your own stuff, writing down the pin assignment on either paper or a txt document on your PC would help.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,838
    Wow, @FreedomGundam that stick is slick! Easily stick of the year simply from a functionality stand point. It looks slick, too.
    Disclaimer: I work for Paradise Arcade Shop. My posts are probably biased. Take that into consideration. Bye!
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,735 mod
    I don't post much in this thread, but that modular stick is absolutely inspired. I wish it was available at retail.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • ZensoukenZensouken Ouroboros = Chips Ahoy! Joined: Posts: 1,324
    @FreedomGundam Flawless Victory.

If that stick had a Link optional panel, ultimate travel stick; would completely change the marketplace and landscape. Patent and produce my man, get paid; please.
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    CFN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
  • LaMaquinaLaMaquina Joined: Posts: 178
    Agreed. FreedomGundam, I'd buy one of those in a second.
  • teleuteteleute Panda Joined: Posts: 118
    edited December 2013
    phaedrus wrote: »
    Added a mount for the wiimote.
    ~snip~
    ~snip~

It's crazy that I've never seen anyone do this before. Awesome! So where is the mount from?
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    Seriously, if FreedomGundam made a kickstarter for this to be mass produced, he would be rolling in money.
    That's the thing though. Sometimes when you do a one-off, you can put a ton of love/detail into it. When you try and mass produce something, it's another animal. For the amount of time it takes to do one, I doubt many people would be willing to pay.
    -ud

• PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    undamned wrote: »
    Seriously, if FreedomGundam made a kickstarter for this to be mass produced, he would be rolling in money.
    That's the thing though. Sometimes when you do a one-off, you can put a ton of love/detail into it. When you try and mass produce something, it's another animal. For the amount of time it takes to do one, I doubt many people would be willing to pay.
    -ud

It would certainly take a lot to get something like that done in a larger format. It could be done though it would just take some forethought how to incorporate everything he'd want and how to scale things back to allow for larger production (ie, PCB boxes and whatnot). I like it though.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,350
    It took him a few months to finish. I would still buy one if the price wasn't too crazy.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    undamned wrote: »
    -ud
    It would certainly take a lot to get something like that done in a larger format. It could be done though it would just take some forethought how to incorporate everything he'd want and how to scale things back to allow for larger production (ie, PCB boxes and whatnot). I like it though.
    Yeah. You two, of all people, would definitely know what it's like to have a project scaled up for availability to the general public. I was thinking a little about this on my way to work this morning, and there'd have to be a lot of redesigning of many parts just to be able to mass-produce a casing like that. It's definitely something that would overwhelm a single person working on it. As far as I can figure it, the only real way to ensure something like this could be sped up with consistent results is to get an injection mold made, and I'm not sure even a Kickstarter would be able to cover that, considering the super-custom-stick-community is a niche-market out of the FGC anyways.

iNENDOi wrote: »
    It took him a few months to finish. I would still buy one if the price wasn't too crazy.
    It was a few months from beginning to end, but I'll admit that a lot of that was waiting time: there'd be stuff that I'd order only when I realized I needed it, plus tools that I don't have necessarily access to on a whim (ie, table-saw and drill-press at my parents' place).
    I started on designs in 3D in mid-to-late-August via Sketchup; I got my chunk of ABS in the first week of September; the stick was fully functional by the first week of November, with the last month (on and off) was just the painting/polishing/finishing of the casing.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    @undamned makes a good point. I know if given the chance, I would buy one easily. I'm very impressed with it, and I prefer plastic over wood, so your design just makes it that much better.

Not only did you one-up every modular stick that has been made before, but you one-upped every project box stick that has been made before. I salute you for that.
  • HeymdallHeymdall Joined: Posts: 3

I have a question. are good GamerFinger (HBFS-30) buttons? I want to try and want to know that you think of them
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    edited December 2013
    Heymdall wrote: »

I have a question. are good GamerFinger (HBFS-30) buttons? I want to try and want to know that you think of them

Wrong thread.
    Absolute Question and Answer Thread (ASK YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!) <-- click
    Also, use the search feature.
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • Nobus3r1Nobus3r1 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,390
    MarkMan wrote: »
    I don't think I was around long enough to learn the legend of MarkMan, or I at least wasn't a fixture of TT until Madcatz announced their sticks. I honestly didn't know why you had the credibility you did that managed to ease the concerns SRK had over Madcatz making sticks.

Then I saw the pictures, and SDTekken.

Thanks. The archive of the SDTEKKEN site is still around. Just gotta do some digging. I really want to revitalize the site and get a new URL (sdtechin.com) and focus strictly on arcade sticks. But man, no time.

Maybe I'll get it started and start recruiting tech talk members to help update it! lol.

EDIT: Okay, if ppl help I can do this! - http://sdtechin.com :)

Might I suggest by starting with you documenting your arcade stick collection and then having other people write up descriptions of the various sticks (parts, special features, converter compatibility, availability, etc.; some sort of template?). Same thing for converters though this section should be easy as if this site is looking at "Tech Talk" approved then the converter section would, I believe, consist of descriptions of exactly four converters (2x PS2 -> PS3 & 2x PS2 -> 360).
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • HeymdallHeymdall Joined: Posts: 3

thx and sorry ^^

• nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Love the TE2 with the art upgrade, definitely lovin' the TE2 chassis the more I look at it. It, like a fungus, has grown on me.

Also, the implications of a modular--injection moulded arcade stick, would cause me to drool if I wasn't a well adjusted human. So I guess if I was some sort of anthropomorphic (no furry) dog-alien then I would be drooling.

Suffice to say I am excited to see what arcade sticks will be like 10 years from now.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
  • dejdej Joined: Posts: 460
    nsc wrote: »
    Love the TE2 with the art upgrade, definitely lovin' the TE2 chassis the more I look at it. It, like a fungus, has grown on me.

Also, the implications of a modular--injection moulded arcade stick, would cause me to drool if I wasn't a well adjusted human. So I guess if I was some sort of anthropomorphic (no furry) dog-alien then I would be drooling.

Suffice to say I am excited to see what arcade sticks will be like 10 years from now.

well, look no futher than b15sdm... his MSG stick is from 2025 or some shit, dats high-tech
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    Bah, nobody would ever mass produce a stick with a sony handheld in it.

A nintendo handheld however...

Think of it, you don't make it out of pools? At least you can play pokemon until grand finals. Travelling with S/O? They can play pokemon if your charming personality isn't enough to tide them over during transportation.

b15sdm, this one is free.
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    edited December 2013
    what about a fleshlight built into the stick, hiding the lube in the cable shelf... so when you're at the hotel @ tournaments, you're set without anyone ever realizing your dirty secret...

e/ this is probably the wrong place to discuss this at, however, i dont think anyone would see such an arcade stick knowing its dirty secret, so here's a picture of a jazz jackrabbit

jazzjack1.gif
  • bluedudebluedude Joined: Posts: 112
    Very nice work Cobrakai22. The design you chose fits really well with that stick.
    The more I see of the TE2, the more I'm liking what I'm seeing.
    edited December 2013
    its art class, of course you should just wing (pun intended) it and make it look nice.

i like the hinges for the easy removal. the wiring is slick, and overall the stick is very nice. its also 6 button, which automatically makes the stick doge.

only thing i can say that looks negative-ish is maybe the fact that the cord hole seems bit too big, idk if its possible to get like something to fill it out so it looks nice
  • ZensoukenZensouken Ouroboros = Chips Ahoy! Joined: Posts: 1,324
    Liking that stain, looks pretty damn clean.
    Stridering since 1998; I play pragmatic and dirty. You will eat pringles and hate me for it.
    PSN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    CFN IDs: "superschure" [USA] / "suupaashaa" [JPN]
    3DS FC: "1564-4856-0905"
  • ed1371ed1371 Yogahh Joined: Posts: 1,526
    edited December 2013
    sorta hesitated posting this due to the awesome in the last few pages. But i figured i needed feedback/tips more than anything.

Note several things:
    -i made this stick mainly for one of my art classes in university, i just needed something simple for an installation piece that I was making.
    -it is my first time building something with wood or building an arcade stick from scratch, basically. getting my feet wet etc..
    it has a slant ala madcatz FS Pro/hori FE. and some "wings/ears". dunno why, just felt like it.

here's a video for somewhat better look

be gentle :0

Very nice... what did you finish it with?

when you work with wood, the grain will absorb the finish at different rates and that why you have to do a little work in between. I LOVE using oil based poly. It dries so fast and is so easy to work with... you can coat, wet sand, coat, wet sand coat and then polish to get such a DEEP uniform gloss all within days.

Overall very nice man... love the color :)
    why crimp when you can solder??

PSN: Nippage
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,350
    Okay... I added ls-56-01s and some seimitsu push buttons. Along with the new plexis from art, I feel like these count as "new" sticks. Trying to go shmup on these ones. Or maybe Neo Geo...

I love them @Hustle Kong.....Love! Reminds me of dominos.

• hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,647
    edited December 2013
    ed1371 wrote: »

Very nice... what did you finish it with?

thanks all...
    i used Rustoleoum brand stain, Cabernet color, and glossy Poly coat. sanded the wood down to 600 grade (120, 220, 660) and did the stain for 3 days, and another 3 for the poly. One of the things i messed up with is that i had a few spots of glue residue which didn't sand down very well, so the stain didn't hold very much and have white splotches. again, part of the learning process i guess. and thanks for the tips.

as for the cord hole, yeah, i need to get a usb/rj45 mount in there (switchcraft i hear is the ones to go for wood mounts), i just needed to install a pcb for the meantime so its usable. i'll get to that eventually when i have more budget.

same goes for the plexi panel, there's no real way to lock it down, partly for convenience (since its not really done) and im still brainstorming on good ideas on what to use. (camlocks maybe?)

-h