Netcode Hitting 360 Soon!

Comments

• BemaniAKBemaniAK Regitrd usr Joined: Posts: 618
    PORT FORWARDING[/b]

There are still people who don't do this?

I just put my 360 in the DMZ.
  • PELVIC THRUSTERPELVIC THRUSTER Joined: Posts: 199
    There are still people who don't do this?

I just put my 360 in the DMZ.

This is the huge majority. Like 90% of people do NOT forward shit once the wireless is online and working. A huge amount of people don't even use passwords when using wireless.
  • MadeManG74MadeManG74 Joined: Posts: 669
    Just to be sure I have a good connection when the PAL release hits, my 360 is hooked directly into the modem/router via Ethernet cable, do I still need to forward ports or does that count as a 'direct connection' to the modem?

In any event, I always make sure to have nothing else happening online when I'm playing, if someone else starts using a PC in the house for the net, I notice fairly quickly and usuallyplay offline until they are done.
  • TheWeakOneTheWeakOne Joined: Posts: 18
    If you really want to know how much your wireless setup affects your console<-->router connection and you are familiar with the 'ping' command you can do something like 'ping -t -l 100 CONSOLE_IP', let it run for an hour and get some statistics.

I don't get why port forwarding has anything to do with quality of the connection. It simply allows more systems to connect to each other.
    For improving the connection quality, if your router have QoS settings you can set it up so that UDP packets to the PS3/XBOX360 have higher priority over other stuff like bittorrent.
  • RemxiRemxi Mithan's Robe Joined: Posts: 297
    Just to be sure I have a good connection when the PAL release hits, my 360 is hooked directly into the modem/router via Ethernet cable, do I still need to forward ports or does that count as a 'direct connection' to the modem?

It depends on your hardware, but most likely what you'll need to do is find out what IP your router has assigned to your XBOX (you can check on the 360 to find this) and then put that IP address in the DMZ section in the router config page. Alternatively you can forward the individual ports but it's easier to just stick it in the DMZ and not worry about it again.
  • XTGXTG Gimme mah DYREKTEEV Joined: Posts: 2,363
    Mycah, what options do my parents have for way better speed than 5 MB DSL? Houston 77034.
    a real job, first day of a road trip, or a blowjob should be the only reason to wake up at 7am
  • Mycah LeonhartMycah Leonhart The Pope of Bootyism Joined: Posts: 1,028
    Mycah, what options do my parents have for way better speed than 5 MB DSL? Houston 77034.

77034 is in the SE, I used to live in 77061 - Not too far away.

Call Comcast, they also have a hub by Hobby Airport when I was living over there in 77061 my speed was much faster then what I was paying for.

Started off the Basic 6MB net (when it was still called Time Warner in this market) and I had speeds of 8MB on many a speed test

After they switched to Comcast - they upped the basic net to 8MB, No huge change in speed on my part really.......

I upped it to 16MB right before Hurricane Ike and had speeds of 20MB on a regular according to speed tests and I was able to carry a #5 Blue Connection on soul Calibur IV (the game that was hot at the time)

Comcast has fucktarded Customer Service, pray that your shit never goes out - ever.

But the product is top tier.
    R.I.P. Nate Hunt - Gone but never forgotten.
    Stand Tall and Shake the Heavens.......
    Netplay Fix = http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=214258&p=8269146
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice young old guy Joined: Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    http://www.speedtest.net/

For those that do not know what speeds their broadband connection speed is.

555769714.png

This is my connection speeds.

http://www.speedtest.net/global.php

With this link you can see where countries rate on overall internet infrastruture. The US is fucking shit.
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
  • EmXEmX Joined: Posts: 845
    connection speed != connection quality or type. I used to get 20-40ping to chicago, columbus, nyc, and some parts of canada on 3mb cable.

now i'm on 18mb DSL, guess what? ping is almost double that lol.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    It's to do with the quality of cables running from the exchange into you home, then it depends on how old the cables are on your phone socket. Speed never equals quality of connection.
    It also has to do with BACKBONE ROUTING - Depends on what path it's taking in laymans terms some ISP's take you the long bumpy scenic route - keep in mind DSL uses phones lines..........how long have phones been in use? - Those cables can be pretty old hunh?

Cable has been in widespread use since the Late 70's, "Digital Cable" is somewhat Fiber it just bottlenecks from the hub to your house.

I won't get into all this (IMO Fiber > Cable > DSL) - just take my advice on what you can do to cut lag in not just KOF but ALL your Online Games.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    ^Indeed. If you are unfortunate like me to be on DSL then if you are serious about resolving connection issues you should first connect to the 'master socket' in your house and run tests from there. Alot of people find that their master socket has very little noise but the other sockets in the house are terrible. This would probably involve replacing all the wires.

I would say try your ISP tech support and ask what steps can be taken to improve on your end, but most companies I've delt with other than bethere (uk company) don't know what they are talking about for the most part.

Edit: Here's an example of what I was poorly trying to explain above. http://www.dslzoneuk.net/socket.php?type=html
  • BLACKLACBLACKLAC Joined: Posts: 154
    555955750.png

17.78Mb/s download

2.61 Mb/s upload

9 ping

I should be fine
    VF5: FS - Vanessa
    Stockton, CA
    XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: BLACK L A C x
    555955750.png

17.78Mb/s download

2.61 Mb/s upload

9 ping

I should be fine

Ping is how "far" you are from the server tested.

17 and 2 are what you need to look at, and yes YOU are fine.......what about the other guy?

Also just cause you have a fast connection doesn't mean it's time to ignore all the other factors of a good connection.
  • OGHowieOGHowie Joined: Posts: 297
    555955750.png

17.78Mb/s download

2.61 Mb/s upload

9 ping

I should be fine

Good god. Are you running FIOS?

Fios would destroy that speedwise.

Nope, good ol' Comcast. :wonder:

This man speaks the truth.

Fiber > Cable > DSL
  • BLACKLACBLACKLAC Joined: Posts: 154
    Ping is how "far" you are from the server tested.

17 and 2 are what you need to look at, and yes YOU are fine.......what about the other guy?

Also just cause you have a fast connection doesn't mean it's time to ignore all the other factors of a good connection.

duly noted and will do :tup:
    VF5: FS - Vanessa
    Stockton, CA
    XBOX LIVE GAMERTAG: BLACK L A C x
    Nope, good ol' Comcast. :wonder:

This man speaks the truth.

Fiber > Cable > DSL

Actually I'd say good DSL is better then cable. Cable fluctuates on the speed so the more people on your hub or block, the less likely it is you will ever reach your maximum speed or even a stable constant high speed. DSL doesn't have that little stumbling block so while it can be slower, it can also be a lot more stable.
  • OGHowieOGHowie Joined: Posts: 297

Guess you're right. Slowest FIOS is 15/5.
    Actually I'd say good DSL is better then cable. Cable fluctuates on the speed so the more people on your hub or block, the less likely it is you will ever reach your maximum speed or even a stable constant high speed. DSL doesn't have that little stumbling block so while it can be slower, it can also be a lot more stable.

Not gonna get into all that - we'd be here all day lol

But you're right, that's why cable advertises at speeds MUCH LOWER then what you will really get.......just in case you do a speed test during "rushhour"

Cable says you're paying for 6 ~ 12MB (hell some martets 16 ~ 18MB) in reality you get much, much more... at least 20+

The best speed I ever got was 32MB and I was paying for "18MB" and never, ever have I did a speed test and gotten lower then "advertised"
    Guess you're right. Slowest FIOS is 15/5.

Fios has speed over 100MB is some markets, I can't wait for that shit to be wide spread all over Houston.

LA and NYC is getting the Business now, Chicago and Houston are coming along slowly but surely
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 14,105
    I used to get lower all the time on speedtests with Cable. I use DSL, and it works OK enough. Pretty much everyone I know who has Cable internet here complains about speeds being slow. So I use DSL and wait for the day Verizon brings FiOS into the area, or that I move into an area with FiOS.

With that said, I hope to hear good things about the patch on the 360. I may end up actually grabbing a copy, just depending on how much birthday money I get this month.

That's riding on the netcode, though.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • GernburgsGernburgs Joined: Posts: 80
    I have a feeling that the patch will be more successful on XBL.

I hope this is true! I really do... I don't know much about PSN, but LIVE is a really good online set up. The vast majority of my fighting games run great (Not KOF XII though)...

I think it funny that people always bring up M$ making you pay for online cause it's actually so worth it. It's only $50 dollars for AN ENTIRE YEAR! A year is a long-ass time to get a great service for only $50 bucks.

$50 bucks a year, that's $4.16 cents a month, it's not going to take any food out of your baby's mouth. It's actually $0.59 cents a day. That's less than they ask you for to sponsor a child in Somalia!

So if you're playing PS3 and saving a WHOLE BUNCH of money because you don't have to pay for LIVE, the least you could do is sponsor a kid in Africa.

My on topic part of this is that (topics change pretty fast no?) I don't use a router EVER. I just run the ethernet cord straight from the modem into the back of my 360. Why would you do it any other way when you going to play a fighting game???

You know fighters can be sensitive to lag, so why not just run the cord right into the back?

No one should be using a router with their PS3 or 360 to play online period, but especially not when playing FGs.
    Currently playing: KOF XIII, BF3 and Skyrim
    - Goh Hinogami extraordinaire
    - Wannabe Abel master...
    - Love Shen Woo!!!
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
    Would they even bother on the 360 version when the PS3 one essentially outsold it 3 to 1? That'd piss off far more people then anything else. They need to fix BOTH. Especially if they want to continue to use this netcode as a backbone for their future releases.
  • Mr ListMr List Lord of the Scrubs Joined: Posts: 1,393
    isnt this patch quite big?
    ie hundreds of megabytes not kilobytes.

360 patches are always tiny.
    they most likely have no idea how to make a patch that is too big for xbox live and is also in need of being mandatory.
    (bigger things need to be on the marketplace like sf4 power pack)
    Hey hey let's go kenka suru , Taisetsu no mono protect my balls! Boku ga warui so let's fighting...
    Let's fighting love!
    Let's fighting love!
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Fios destroys ones wallet as well. The cheapest I saw it for was like 200 a month after surcharges.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • nothingnothing Keep calm, and stay dashing Joined: Posts: 1,700
    US Broadband

If you weren't aware already, read the article and you'll see that US broadband sucks balls and US ISPs aren't gonna do shit about it because they don't have to. We're already paying for shitty, slow broadband so there's no reason for them to upgrade and catch up to the rest of the world. The reality is that ISPs want the government to absorb all of the cost in providing broadband to rural areas and putting us on par with the rest of the world in terms of speed. Sorry for the rant, but US internet speeds compared to the rest of the world is my biggest pet peeve.

But anyway, is there anyway to tone down the input delay in online matches? I only play yellow bar matches as I haven't been able to find anything better thanks to this games horrible online interface that seems to force you to actually enter a room before you can see how bad the lag is..
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,573 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It would be sweet if we could get fios for 50 a month, cuz they all say crap like "there's no maintenance costs" and stuff...so why does it cost so damn much? Why do cable and dsl bills differ so wildly between multiple people getting the same service? How much would we be paying if they charged honestly and only sought to make a fair profit per customer, instead of the maximum the customer will fall for? There's no way in hell 2 people on the same block, neither of whom have any special problems in receiving internet service (old wiring, geography problems) from the same company should be paying for the exact same service, yet have a 30-40 dollar difference in their bill.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
  • Monkey KingMonkey King Joined: Posts: 503
    isnt this patch quite big?
    ie hundreds of megabytes not kilobytes.

360 patches are always tiny.
    they most likely have no idea how to make a patch that is too big for xbox live and is also in need of being mandatory.
    (bigger things need to be on the marketplace like sf4 power pack)

This patch was less than 20mb.
    But anyway, is there anyway to tone down the input delay in online matches? I only play yellow bar matches as I haven't been able to find anything better thanks to this games horrible online interface that seems to force you to actually enter a room before you can see how bad the lag is..

If you make a room turn off the chat.
    James Chen: "Where's your USA chant now?!"
  • MadeManG74MadeManG74 Joined: Posts: 669
    It depends on your hardware, but most likely what you'll need to do is find out what IP your router has assigned to your XBOX (you can check on the 360 to find this) and then put that IP address in the DMZ section in the router config page. Alternatively you can forward the individual ports but it's easier to just stick it in the DMZ and not worry about it again.

Ahh that sounds like a plan, I'll do that as soon as I get home, thanks for the tip!

I had no idea you could do sometihng like that, I didn't look forward to forwarding ports and whatnot, but this sounds like a relatively simple and effective method.
  • spudlyff8fanspudlyff8fan is love. Joined: Posts: 7,082
    Xbox 360 patch has (finally) been confirmed by Microsoft and will be available in a few days.
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,851
    That's good to hear, it's a god damn shame you 360 players had to wait this long, stupid Micro$oft...
  • BemaniAKBemaniAK Regitrd usr Joined: Posts: 618
    If you weren't aware already, read the article and you'll see that US broadband sucks balls and US ISPs aren't gonna do shit about it because they don't have to.

Hey, count yourself lucky you aren't down here in Australia.
    It's rare for a house to be able to get any better than a 1.5 mbps connection.
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice young old guy Joined: Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Xbox 360 patch has (finally) been confirmed by Microsoft and will be available in a few days.

OMG finally! I hope the words goes around. Hopefully people will come back to this game.
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
  • Gill HustleGill Hustle Joined: Posts: 221
    Still got my copy. . .and Tekken 6 has horrible lag . . . wow. . .
  • ryu991ryu991 Joined: Posts: 86
    OMG finally! I hope the words goes around. Hopefully people will come back to this game.

I've kept my copy and assumed that when t6 hit I would completely forget about it, since I heard the netplay on t6 is trash I'll give KOF another go around. I really did enjoy the game so hopefully the netcode is fixed.
  • 09er09er Banned Joined: Posts: 103

:lovin:
  • NocturnalNocturnal SNK Supporter Joined: Posts: 2,977 mod
    I heard the patch is out already. Anyone else get a download update yet?
    youtube channel = jaimedl
    twitch channel = jaimedl
    twitter = NocturnalSRK
  • ryu991ryu991 Joined: Posts: 86
    I heard the patch is out already. Any else get a download update yet?

I got a DL update when I signed on, I dont know if it was a KOF update or a general xbox update.

I played one yellow bar connection today and the match was pretty much the same as always so hopefully that was not the patch I downloaded, of course if it was I'll play a few more before passing judgment but this one felt exactly the same as expected.
  • 09er09er Banned Joined: Posts: 103
    I heard the patch is out already. Any else get a download update yet?

I haven't tried KOFXII yet...
    I got a DL update when I signed on, I dont know if it was a KOF update or a general xbox update.

I played one yellow bar connection today and the match was pretty much the same as always so hopefully that was not the patch I downloaded, of course if it was I'll play a few more before passing judgment but this one felt exactly the same as expected.

That was a general Xbox update:
    http://kotaku.com/5391607/xbox-360-system-update