New to CvS2? Read here before asking questions!

BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazingJoined: Posts: 1,713 mod
CvS2 Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: What do all these abbreviations like QCF, HP and CC mean?
A: Just go to Maj's Sonic Hurricane site here:

http://www.sonichurricane.com/articles/sfnotation.html

Q: I keep hearing about frames. What are they?
A: I've already written an article about this which should answer pretty much every question you might have about frames. See it here:

http://www.video-opera.com/features/f0009.php

Q: How do I go about creating CC's for my characters?
A:
Gunter wrote:
The basic formula for CCs is as you said... damaging attacks at the beginning, then after the 9th hit do quick attacks since they all do a pixel each. However, that's only part of the problem. The bigger part is knowing WHEN you can use your CCs. Almost everyone has either a ground CC or an anti-air CC (my site needs updating, but since my CvS2 guide was stolen from my house, I'm too lazy to look up the damages for each hit). However, you'll rarely have an opponent cooperate with you and just stand right next to you or jump in on you when you have meter. So you have to look for situations where you can activate and start your combo, eventually leading INTO either the ground or anti-air CC. Blocking a Blanka Ball and activating is a good example. The opponent has done a move and is in recovery. For many characters, that's a free CC. ABSOLUTELY FREE. You just look for a move that will 1) reach Blanka after you block it and 2) will put him in a knockdown state if you hit him out of the air and you can follow up with another move. Bison is probably the best example. He can block the Ball, activate, and immediately slide (c.roundhouse). The slide puts Blanka in a knockdown state, allowing Bison to continue the combo with s.strong to launch, then a bunch of jumping hits and get to the corner to paint Blanka's fence. Once Bison blocks the Ball, there is absolutely nothing Blanka can do to prevent losing half his life.

Linking into CCs is also good (there's a whole thread on it in this forum). Basically, between the two hits in any link, you can insert an activation. So once you see the first one hit, you can activate and then do the second. Characters that can do c.jab x2 into some sort of normal can usually go into a ground CC from there (take Geese for example). The damage is lower than if you would have started the CC and THEN started hitting, but with practice it's guaranteed damage. A-Groove is all about versatility of meter (at least, in my opinion). To "create a CC" as you say, you have to know when you can START a CC.

Q: What is a roll cancel?
A: Roll cancelling (RCing) is a very exploitable glitch in CvS2, accomplished by cancelling the first 3 frames of any roll directly into a special move (and certain other things, like supers and stuff). This gives the roll-cancelled special move the properties of the roll in addition to whatever special properties it already had. Translation? Your roll-cancelled special move becomes invincible. It's important to note that like rolls, most RCed moves can be thrown as well. The only exception are moves that are airborne (shoto hurricanes) or are naturally invincible anyway (shoto uppercuts). Contrary to popular belief, the length of invulnerability time on the RCed move is not the same as the character's roll. RC invulnerability time is somewhere between 17~21 frames for every character. This last part should be common sense, but RCs can only be performed in grooves that have the ability to roll.

Q: Are Roll Cancels legal in tournament play?
A: Yep.

Q: Should they be allowed?
A: This is a never-ending debate that won't die for as long as CvS2 is being played. It's been discussed to death already, so I'll just glaze over the main arguments real quick:

The main focus of the Pro-RC argument is that it balances the game better, makes it more interesting, adds depth, takes focus away from low fierce, etc. The main focus of the Con-RC argument is that it's an unintended glitch, it's "not street fighter", it's overpowered, etc. Form your own opinions, but realize that for better or worse, RCs ARE allowed in tournament play.

Q: How do I RC a move?
A: It's just like I said above: you cancel the first three frames of your roll into a special move. Translation? Do a motion for a special move and throw a LP+LK somewhere in there before you finish it. As the 3 frame window above suggests, RCs must be done very quickly to work. If you've ever done kara throws in 3S or Hwoarang's RF 3~4 in Tekken, you should have a general idea of how fast you have to press the buttons.

Q: I suck at RCing. Any tips?
A: Check my old post here:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1058189&highlight=display#post1058189

Button tap specials like Blanka's RC elec and Chun's RC legs aren't covered there, so I'll explain it real quick:

Button tap specials are performed by doing five of the appropriate inputs. So, pressing a punch button five times in a quick succession will always result in an electricity if using Blanka. Pressing more than one button at the same time only counts as one input, so pressing PPP will count as one punch input. Pressing roll (LP+LK) will still only count as one input, but the game will accept it as either a punch OR a kick input. So, RCing stuff like Blanka's electricity can be accomplished by hitting 3 punch inputs, then roll, then a last punch input quickly after. This all must be done very fast. There's two different general techniques for RCing button tap moves:

:lp:,:mp:,:hp:,:lp:+:lk:,:hp:

The :lp:,:mp:,:hp: is accomplished by "piano'ing" your index, middle and ring fingers from left to right over the punch buttons. You then quickly hit roll, then IMMEDIATELY hit HP after for the fifth input. Many people have problems piano'ing left to right, and they usually do it this way:

:hp:,:mp:,:lp:,:lp:+:lk:,:hp:

This has a few disadvantages compared to the above method, mainly the impracticality of doing RC elec off of whiffed jabs or shorts.

Q: How do I fight against RCs?
A: People inexperienced against RCs often make the mistake of denying that they exist and will often keep challenging them over and over with different moves. You cannot outprioritize an RC. They are invincible. Can you beat an RCing player? Definitely. Here's an old post I made which should help:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1684446&highlight=sakura+hurricane#post1684446

Q: I keep hearing about this crazy CvS2 guidebook. Where can I buy one?
A: http://store.yahoo.com/animebooks-com/capvssnk2mil.html

Q: There's like 5 different platforms for CvS2. Are there any differences?
A: For obvious reasons, everything will be compared to the arcade version of the game.

Dreamcast: For all intents and purposes, arcade perfect. There have been some complaints about speed differences between the arcade and DC versions, but it's an established fact that there IS no standard arcade speed. Different arcade cabinets all set on the default speed of 3 will have slight (sometimes major) speed differences for no apparent reason.

PlayStation 2: Pretty much identical to the DC version (and therefore, identical to the arcade), the PS2 version does sport slightly higher resolution. Nothing game-affecting, though.

EDIT: Yun has a really random game-crashing glitch: hit the opponent with a You Hou super, then immediately do the qcb+P palm move after. Game crashes for no apparent reason.

X-Box: Lots of differences here.
  • EO Mode: The Easy Operation Mode lets players do special moves and supers at the touch of a single button. Obviously aimed at beginners and mashers.
  • System: RCs are completely removed. Not sure if other glitches (OTG grab CCs, tech throw glitch, etc) were removed.
    Grooves: S-Groove reportedly charges its gauge faster. P-Groove gets the (amazingly broken) ability to do super cancels. A-Groove can jump and whiff an air attack and still activate CC afterwards. They can also cancel most connected air attacks into CC as well.
  • Characters: Sagat, Blanka and Cammy all get a 5% damage reduction across the board. Certain characters I can't remember got a 5% damage boost, I think it was something like Dan, King, Kyosuke, Maki, Eagle, Gief, Yuri, and I think Zangief...? On a more specific level, the only real tweaks found were that A-Maki can no longer juggle a CC after her punch throw in the corner, the Kim infinite doesn't work and Cammy bounces a lot higher on a blocked DP. Hibiki still can juggle a CC off of her kick throw for whatever reason though.

And... that's all I can remember at the moment. There are certain false rumors being spread around by XBox lovers, like the top tier characters' moves having less priority and Sak/Bison's CCs doing less damage. Don't believe them.

Gamecube: I don't know exactly for sure, but it should be exactly the same as the XBox version. I've heard random rumors about stuff like Sagat not being able to buffer supers off of his low fierce, haven't had a chance to check them though. EDIT: this has been confirmed to be true.

If there's any general questions that I've missed, list em here and I'll add em in.

lastly, here's here's a ton of threads with commonly asked questions.
-Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

me: did pz john ever give the japanese players their money
bas: hahah of course no

Comments

• caliagent#3caliagent#3 Caliagent Bobblehead Joined: Posts: 4,164 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Here's one you forgot:

I'm new to SRK. What do all these abbreviations like lp, qcf, dp, etc mean?
    Whiff your entire SOUL into c.MK in 3S.
    Footsies guide: www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbpXplP_WFE
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    light punch --> lp or jab
    mid punch ----> mp or strong
    hard punch ---> hp or fierce
    light kick ---> lk or short
    mid kick
    > mk or forward
    hard kick ----> hk or Roundhouse (RH)
    qcf --> quarter circle forward
    qcb --> quarter circle back
    hcf --> half circle forward
    hcb --> half circle back
    RC --> roll cancle
    JD --> just defend
    DP --> dragon punch
    j. --> jumpin
    c. --> crouchin
    sj. -> superjump
    s. --> standing
  • MajMaj CvS2 Combo Collector Joined: Posts: 2,073
    http://www.sonichurricane.com/articles/sfnotation.html

I'm still working on it. Just thought i'd show what i had so far since it's relevant to this thread and since it really does come up often.
  • BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazing Joined: Posts: 1,713 mod
    Tight. Editing first post now.
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

this is a pretty simple newbie question:
    how do you hit someone's back? as in (with ryu): jump over a guy and RK the back of their head (while in the air).

I can't seem to do this. not sure if i'm jumping to close/far and when i'm supposed to hit the kick button.
  • DooMDooM Joined: Posts: 1,036
    its called a crossup, not every character has one, but with ryu: its jumping medium kick, its pretty easy ;) i think you're trying to do hard kick, which would only connect if they were ducking *but noone should duck when you are jumping...*

anyway: j.mk, just try it =) and for your own sake: if someone you play knows crossups too: block the other way =)
    DooM wrote:
    its called a crossup, not every character has one, but with ryu: its jumping medium kick, its pretty easy ;) i think you're trying to do hard kick, which would only connect if they were ducking *but noone should duck when you are jumping...*

anyway: j.mk, just try it =) and for your own sake: if someone you play knows crossups too: block the other way =)

THANKS a lot! :china:

is there a FAQ that lists all the available cross-ups? i think it would be a nice addition to this thread for newbies like me.
  • RanevskiRanevski Shin Gamer Joined: Posts: 244
    May want to add the link to JC's FAQ. Write something like for any more information you want it's probably in here http://db.gamefaqs.com/coinop/arcade/file/capcom_vs_snk_2_system_combo.txt

Feel free to delete my post if you add the link.
    I intend to live forever. So far so good.
  • MajMaj CvS2 Combo Collector Joined: Posts: 2,073
    JohnEX wrote:
    THANKS a lot! :china:

is there a FAQ that lists all the available cross-ups? i think it would be a nice addition to this thread for newbies like me.
    Nope, nothing comprehensive. You should be a team player and make one. All it takes is a little thorough research.
  • TrickTrick Joined: Posts: 139
    Crossups off the top of my head
    Shotos/Sakura/Rugal/Blanka/Geese/Athena/Dan/Dhalsim(hold back)/-mk
    Sagat/Cammy/Guile/Chun li/Bison/Iori(hold back)Nakoruru-lk
    Rock (ducking opp.)/Rolento/Kim/Terry/Bison (ducking opp.)-hk
    Zangief/Raiden-down forward hp in the air (splash)
    Honda-down forward mk (splash)

One's i'm not sure but I know they have crossups
    Benimaru-lk
    Kyo-lk
    Maki-mk/hk
    Morrigan-mk
    Todo-mk (don't know if they have to duck or not)

i'll try to do more later. gotta go to work.
    Do your own shit-Trick
    I have a noob question. What's a reset?
  • DooMDooM Joined: Posts: 1,036
    if you hit someone while theyre in the air with jab for example, they will fall back on their feet, if theu're not ready for it, you can unleask all knids ox mixups, etc. The point is: You have more options to do then your opponent *blocking...*
    How do you successfully do the following?

1) Counter Attack
    2) Counter Movement
    3) Air Combo
    4) Chain Combo
    5) Cancel a move (not just rolls)

Thanks!
  • DrChenDrChen Joined: Posts: 65
    What should also be mentioned is for those who have CvS2 on Gamecube or Xbox (CvS2:EO) There is no roll-cancelling at all.

I was thinking about making an extensive Bread & Butter combo list for each character, but the problem is I don't know most character's BnB =/ Maybe a comprehensive list should be made to give newbies reliable basic combos to use (for example, Hibiki's cr. short x3, cr. jab, qcf + jab/strong)
    1) Counter Attack
    2) Counter Movement
    3) Air Combo
    4) Chain Combo
    5) Cancel a move (not just rolls)

1.) Counter Attacks = f + mp + mk (while blocking)
    2.) Counter Movement = f + lp + lk or b + lp + lk )while blocking)
    3.) Air Combo is basically being able to chain normal moves in the air. This "ability" is from the Groove Edit Mode I believe, and basically, you can jump in with a light kick, and as it hits, you can chain a hard kick to it. (I believe this is the definition, correct me if I'm wrong)
    4.) Chain combo is basically the same thing as Air combo, except done on the ground. You can chain normal attacks that normally are not possible to chain together, such as (crouching hard punch, crouching hard kick)
    5.) Cancelling moves is also from Groove Edit Mode I believe, and it's basically being able to cancel any special move into something else. We'll take Ryu for example, (qcf + p, qcf qcf +p) So basically, it's a fireball, cancelled into a super fireball, because you have activated this ability.

Hope that helps.

Chen
    DrChen
    Hey Chen, thanks a lot, that makes it much easier. I play the XBOX version so I never heard or even read of cancelling rolls, so once again, thanks for the heads up!

One other question, in creating a good custom groove, what do you guys suggest is a great combination?
    Chen, one more question, when you say press f + MP + MK, do you mean while I'm pressing back, I have to quickly press f + MP + MK?
  • popoblopopoblo Joined: Posts: 2,147
    Q- what's the best CC to do in certain situations with this character?

A- read this.......

http://www.video-opera.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=103&perpage=20&pagenumber=1
  • archetypearchetype Cofey was here Joined: Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    shabazz5th wrote:
    Chen, one more question, when you say press f + MP + MK, do you mean while I'm pressing back, I have to quickly press f + MP + MK?

While your character is in block stun just do the command above

peace

SKJ
    THE FIRM will fuck all you bitch ass marks, punk ass busters, and fake ass tricks up. WE DON'T FUCKING PLAY FOR FUN, WE PLAY FOR BLOOD.

I am THE FIRM aka MONGO SLADE aka arch aka Jake Rockwell
  • BunzBunz ☱☰☴☲☯☵☶☷☳ Joined: Posts: 1,495
    How about, "What system would you recommend playing on?"

Or, "Should I throw my PS2 at my DC, never buy X-Box and just go to the arcades?"
  • BuktoothBuktooth vietnamazing Joined: Posts: 1,713 mod
    First post updated.
    -Campbell Tran

as of 12/02/09:

Got a couple questions.....

I played CVS2 for a little while when it was released, but i dropped it and I am trying to pick it up again with S-groove. But I was wondering what are some of the new ways to play it I guess. Like, strats and ways people have changed the way the game is played now. Like, is there more footsies now? It seems the game has become more of a slowed pace then it used to be. I guess I don't want to be using 2001 strats in 2004 lol....
  • Daisuke-NiwaDaisuke-Niwa Joined: Posts: 25
    Q: What is tatical recovery?
  • xX_Deus_XxxX_Deus_Xx ItsCool2BeDismissive Joined: Posts: 2,579
    Have fun, and be safe with it.

Just kidding. Fuck shit up.
    What's a dragon punch?
    a shoryuken

if ppl say dp k
    it means shoryuken motion using kick.

forward ,down dorward punch = dragon punch with ryu, ken akuma etc..
    is there an article somewhere on the 2P throw glitch that could be added? or if someone could explain it properly, that would add something worthwhile to this thread. i have an idea of what it is, just not exactly sure how to put it into words and what exceptions there are.

peace
  • CrimsonDisasterCrimsonDisaster team anime Joined: Posts: 1,582
    If P2 knocks his opponent down so that their head is sticking out of the corner, any move P2 does that is in the air and can get over P1's prone body will put P2 into the corner.

A bunch of throws set this up. That's pretty much the main way to set up the glitch. Not everybody has a throw that sets it up but most do.

The other way (comes up far less frequently) is to be cornered, your opponent jumps, you get under and behind them then knock them out of the air... they are hit into the corner, but they land as if they were hit from the front... hard to phrase it any other way but to say it hits them so that their head is sticking out of the corner = P2 glitch setup.
    I only play games with RCs.

In the game, each character has two avatars during character selection. Depending on what groove you select, you either get the more fiercesome character or the less fiercesome one. Does the avatar matter (does the character become better if you select a groove that makes him look tougher)?

Also, if you play the computer, sometimes you face a souped up Akuma after the final stage in Osaka. What triggers this since he doesn't pop up every time you face him (even if you faced Geese or Bison and haven't had to restart)?
    Slipkid wrote:
    In the game, each character has two avatars during character selection. Depending on what groove you select, you either get the more fiercesome character or the less fiercesome one. Does the avatar matter (does the character become better if you select a groove that makes him look tougher)?

yes, the more "fiercesome" ones get a damage increase of 5%. that's why capcom grooves (CAP) are better than SNK grooves because they clearly look more fiercesome. thus, SNK grooves are for pussies due to the lack of fiercesomeness.
  • noodlemannoodleman Cancer of GTASF Joined: Posts: 5,165
    popoblo wrote:
    yes, the more "fiercesome" ones get a damage increase of 5%. that's why capcom grooves (CAP) are better than SNK grooves because they clearly look more fiercesome. thus, SNK grooves are for pussies due to the lack of fiercesomeness.

don't believe him!

SNK grooves are clearly more fiercesome. I mean all the characters are laughing AT you! clearly SNK grooves are the grooves that get the 10% bonus by trashing you just by being there.
    "You'd be better off falling asleep with the taste of my crotch in your mouth." - Miyavi

"no no! it don't hurt if spoon is greasy!" - Zangief Chronicles.
  • vasAZNion13vasAZNion13 Thank you Gene. Joined: Posts: 2,368
    wow...

slipkid: i can't tell if your post was serious or not.

so i'll answer it...

NO, AVATARS DO NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

and i'll request that you think more about what you write, before you post it.
    SSBB friend code: 2449-4333-1879
    NO, AVATARS DO NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE

and i'll request that you think more about what you write, before you post it.

shhhhhhhhhh, it's plain to see that capcom characters get a 5% damage increase due to the fiercesomeness of the avatar. come on man, i thought everybody knew that. and noodleman, they're laughing because they're pussies, plain and simple. it's a reverse psychology thing to make themselves feel better.
  • HoneyBBQGrundleHoneyBBQGrundle Coco's dead! Joined: Posts: 980
    Buktooth wrote:
    Gamecube: I don't know exactly for sure, but it should be exactly the same as the XBox version. I've heard random rumors about stuff like Sagat not being able to buffer supers off of his low fierce, haven't had a chance to check them though.

This is true.
    I do want to play Barbie Horse Adventures.
    How do you use Reversals? I don't mean the specials that grab opponent like Geese's, but making any move like Shoryuken a Reversal?
    Buktooth wrote:
    CvS2 Frequently Asked Questions:

Gamecube: I don't know exactly for sure, but it should be exactly the same as the XBox version. I've heard random rumors about stuff like Sagat not being able to buffer supers off of his low fierce, haven't had a chance to check them though.

If there's any general questions that I've missed, list em here and I'll add em in.

- this is TRUE I know gc version of cvs2 fairly well ... its all I have at home, you CANNOT cancel sagat's crouching fierce punch to any super. There's also other differences in this version out there ...
    noodleman wrote:
    don't believe him!

SNK grooves are clearly more fiercesome. I mean all the characters are laughing AT you! clearly SNK grooves are the grooves that get the 10% bonus by trashing you just by being there.

Come on Jason!!!!!!!! You know P GROOVE owns all ... parry that shit!!!!!!!!! :karate:
  • Dark GeeseDark Geese Joined: Posts: 12,439
    Couldnt have said it any better X-Pac, "Parry that Shit!!" Amen!!!!! LOL
    **The KOF Cup 2011: March 10-14th, CDJ, Mexico w/Hummer from JAPAN!**
    **Mexico vs. Japan Part III!!**
  • KryptoniteBootsKryptoniteBoots Joined: Posts: 577
    so err umm about thast cvs guidebook....so even though it's completely in japanese is it worth buying
    I had some great things and I had some bad things. The best and the worst... In other words, I had a life.
    ~Richard Pryor
  • Nick T.Nick T. Joined: Posts: 3,976
    Index Of Important Links

This is a list of important links for all newcomers to PLEASE look at before you post. They range from basic strategy to specfic strategy discussions based on topic. Enjoy!

-Game Basics:

Groove Basics

http://www.shoryuken.com/games/cvs2/grooves/index.shtml

Buk's Tip Of The Day (12/03 - 9/04)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48665

Bad Matchup Discussion (12/04)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78560

Yama/Vega Matchup Discussion (3/05)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86680

Footsies Discussion (9/04)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72115

Training Without Competiton

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=72650

How To Play At Higher Level Discussion

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84312

Technical Stuff

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61932

Going From Good To Pro

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89029

-Roll Cancel Discussion:

tru3tn01's Guide to Learning RCs

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46214

Countering Roll Cancels: (7/04)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66463

Shortcuts To Roll Canceling

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=42985

-Groove Discussions:

*C Groove:

C Guile Matchup Discussion

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64545

Sagat vs. Chun-Li Matchup Discussion

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62138

Best C-Groove Characters

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64452

Who Is Better In C-Groove?

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86438

*A Groove:

Custom Combos

http://www.video-opera.com/forums/s...20&pagenumber=1

My A Groove Thread(Long Time Ago, Has Basic Stuff)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52480

*P Groove:

Main P-Groove Thread

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48901

2nd P Groove Thread

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79858

Lifetimeboy's P-Groove Thread

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69611

More P-Groove

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59974

Anti P-Groove Thread

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=62816

Parrying Discussion

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66651

*S Groove:

Dr.B's S Groove Thread (9/02 - 4/05)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10607

New S Groove Thread (4/05)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=89543

*N Groove:

Next Level: N-Groove Thread (6/04)

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64845

*K Groove:

K vs. A Strategy

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74075
    "It's not your characters' weakness, but weakness in yourself.
    Practice it hard and you can beat anybody." -Kuni
    RC X box

Buktooth stated RC is removed in X box EO but I can rc on my x box..just thought i would say something had no idea about the blanka rc he mentiond tho thats cool shit
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    Got a few questions that seem like they've probably been asked elsewhere, but a quick check revealed nothing. I'm fairly sure I have at least some idea about the answers to these, but it's always good to get confirmation.

1. EVERYONE in high level play seems to play r1/r1/r2. What's the reason for always having a 3 person team with the r2 at the end?

2. I see people refer to the team order as battery/user/anchor. I get that battery is a character that's supposed to build meter but not use it, and the user is, presumably, the character that uses the meter you built with your battery. What's the anchor for?

3.What's the advantage to using the r1-battery/r1-user/r2-anchor method of organizing a team?

3. What should I look for in characters when deciding where to place them in the team order?
  • wepeelwepeel Blanka is my only hope Joined: Posts: 1,180
    polarity wrote:
    Got a few questions that seem like they've probably been asked elsewhere, but a quick check revealed nothing. I'm fairly sure I have at least some idea about the answers to these, but it's always good to get confirmation.

1. EVERYONE in high level play seems to play r1/r1/r2. What's the reason for always having a 3 person team with the r2 at the end?

2. I see people refer to the team order as battery/user/anchor. I get that battery is a character that's supposed to build meter but not use it, and the user is, presumably, the character that uses the meter you built with your battery. What's the anchor for?

3.What's the advantage to using the r1-battery/r1-user/r2-anchor method of organizing a team?

3. What should I look for in characters when deciding where to place them in the team order?

1. If you look at the stats, ratio 1's are unusually powerful in this game. If there was an option to pick 4 R1s then people would definitely go for that, just for the life total. Two R1s (depending on the character) have just as much life as a ratio 4...check Buktooth's FAQs on gamefaqs

R2 at the end becuase that's probably when most people start to play "for reals" and the higher damage output/more stamina gives them the advantage over someone who isn't anchoring with an R2...

2. The Anchor is usually your best character, though sometimes people make their best character first to get rid of the other guy's R1s, or maybe they put their best in the User position because they are able to use meter effectively while also REALLY needing the meter (Chun-Li, Morrigan, etc)

That's why some people like to put Bison as their R2 anchor...he pretty much kills whoever is left after your R1s had their fun. All he has to do is land his custom, assuming you were ahead when your opponent got to your last character.

3. The battery provides meter for the user, and the anchor will (presumably) be difficult for your opponent to defeat. The battery does not necessarily rely on meter (Iori, Sakura, etc).

If you had Chun/Iori/Zangief2 as a team order, it would be all wrong...think about it for a sec. It's not too hard to grasp; using Iori/Chun/(someone other than R2 Gief :rofl:) would be a much better order. I hope I don't have to clarify why...

3.(#4 question I presume) - Honestly, go ahead and play around with this. For whatever reason, some people actually like using Chun as a battery; this question can only be answered by you since it's preference based...but try to follow the batt/user/anchor rule for the best results

Next time you use the search function, look for Campbell's Tip Of The Day, most of these questions are answered there too if you don't trust me.
    do you believe I would take such a thing with me, and give it to a police man

-find the truth on page 318 of the Thinking Out Loud Thread V.2
  • polaritypolarity I'M BACK BITCHES Joined: Posts: 1,841
    Thanks a lot :karate:
  • FSgamerFSgamer Cheap Tactics!!! Joined: Posts: 1,315
    Where can I find frame data for CvS2? (stuff like the frame/attack data found in the CFE strategy guide)
    FSgamer aka FS7 --- Cheap Tactics for the Win ---

random CvS2 player
    Quick question on canceling as ive never really got my head round it, do i just pull off say rocks shining knuckle at level 2, then while he's doing it, just pull off his ragin storm lvl 1? or do i have to cancel by pressing a specific button?
  • LeezyLeezy In gaming, I age in dog years... Joined: Posts: 1,397
    Cancels have to be done before the lvl 2 ends, and it doesn't matter which button you use, 'cause you'll only have a lvl 1 stored anyway. It's more an issue of timing than which button to press.
    Same old dog, same old tricks...
  • VR-FistVR-Fist Welcome to die! Joined: Posts: 318
    It's nice to know what's lk, mk etc., but how to perform the commands? I am complete n00b, today bought the game. I play hardcore Tekken if it helps. Thanks for your reply in advance.

EDIT: Bought a booklet (the game was sold without it - not a new piece), it's all there. Don't reply me.
    VR-Fist 仮想拳 - twitter / steam
    Czech Fighting Games Community - www.czecharcade.com
  • GumberculesGumbercules Fullscreen Super Pro Joined: Posts: 567
    What does it mean when people say to tiger-knee a move?
    CVS2: C-Vega, Eagle, Blanka K-Rock, Geese, Blanka
    3S: Shitty Oro
    back in the day in sf2 Sagat's Tiger Knee move was performed by going:

:qcf: :uf: + kick

so when you tiger knee something, you're usually tigerkneeing an air :qcf: move from the ground so that you end up doing the move "barely off the ground" ..... like Cable's Air Hyper Viper Beam barely off the ground: http://ahvb.ytmnd.com or lets say Akuma's air fireball so he throws it as he's going up ...
  • GumberculesGumbercules Fullscreen Super Pro Joined: Posts: 567
    Ah I've done that before, just didn't get the term.
    CVS2: C-Vega, Eagle, Blanka K-Rock, Geese, Blanka
    3S: Shitty Oro