New to CvS2? Read here before asking questions!

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hello all.I have three nOOb questions:

1)I still dont understand that Ration things? What they are and how to use them. Can somebody reply? Thankx.

2)What is the best groove for CVS2 noobs and new commers.

3)i start to play as A-Groove Akuma, Sagat and Bison. But if i activate and start to make some CCs then they do very small dmg. Can somebody tell me what i do wrong or place here some link to thread about it,i dont found anyone. I watch a lot of videos and that wicked players can do half-energy damaging combos(like in last SOCAL vid. with Bison).

Thanx to everybody who helps.
  • xX_Deus_XxxX_Deus_Xx ItsCool2BeDismissive Joined: Posts: 2,579
    Profesor wrote:
    Hello all.I have three nOOb questions:

1)I still dont understand that Ration things? What they are and how to use them. Can somebody reply? Thankx.

2)What is the best groove for CVS2 noobs and new commers.

3)i start to play as A-Groove Akuma, Sagat and Bison. But if i activate and start to make some CCs then they do very small dmg. Can somebody tell me what i do wrong or place here some link to thread about it,i dont found anyone. I watch a lot of videos and that wicked players can do half-energy damaging combos(like in last SOCAL vid. with Bison).

Thanx to everybody who helps.

1. a ratio determines how strong a character is. the higher the ratio, the more life and more damage the character will do. you should always pick two ratio 1 characters and one ratio 2 character. i dont feel like explaining why, but just trust me its the right thing to do.

2. c / n / k grooves are best for beginners.

3.whenever you're doing your custom combos, you want to do your most damaging hits within the first 9 hits of the custom. after 9 hits all hits will do 100 damage only.
    Have fun, and be safe with it.

Just kidding. Fuck shit up.
    Buktooth wrote:
    Q: I keep hearing about this crazy CvS2 guidebook. Where can I buy one?
    A: http://store.yahoo.com/animebooks-com/capvssnk2mil.html

if anyone wants the cvs2 guidebook, i have the scan that smoothcat made, and i can send it to people over aim if you ask nicely.

what's a CC? I keep hearing about them.
    Custom Combo

WTh is BnB....?!!? haha and i love how you guys talk abut RC'ing like its EASY....tuant RC is easy...but doing supers and moves with it....INsanely hard
  • HellionHellion .5 Beat Combat Joined: Posts: 888
    WTh is BnB....?!!? haha and i love how you guys talk abut RC'ing like its EASY....tuant RC is easy...but doing supers and moves with it....INsanely hard

but... it is easy
    "No one quits SRK. NO ONE" -wepeel
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    hah maybe to you...im def not natural when it comes to fighting games...anyway you didnt answer my first question...whats BnB? also uhm ...can anyone explain to me TOP tier and lower tier...haha and one more thing...how exaclty do you cancel supers...
    It means Bread and Butter, its your basic meterless combo you use, some characters have several that lead to different mixups and so on.
    Some are easier than others, some more rewarding than others.
    Choose your character, choose your fate I guess.

Roll cancelling isn't hard. Did you check out the first or second page of this thread? Theres good info there on it.
    It's not like you'd "see" the roll come out before you get the chance to cancel it, you're basically doing the special with the roll inserted into the commands, or just prior to. Ease really depends on which character you're playing as.
    The more specials a character has, the more precision required of the RC, especially when they demand different directions on the stick.

Take Iori, you RC his qcb+HP, you have to watch for his hcb+K. The roll has to be done when the stick is either neutral, down, or down back. You can't "cheat" by throwing out the roll at down forward in a hcb motion like with Rugal's God Press or Hibiki's qcb+P (both characters not having a move that could register like Iori's hcb+K)
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    sorry i edited after you replied but "also uhm ...can anyone explain to me TOP tier and lower tier...haha and...how exaclty do you cancel supers or any moves for that matter..." .hope im not annoying you....im one of those....came from doing a fireball 25% of the time people
    anyone explain to me TOP tier and lower tier...haha

Top tier... basically your characters that have an edge that net wins and have few bad matchups.

Lower tier... May have some good qualities but overall aren't considered to be quite so dominant over the cast. However some may (and do) counter or fight top tiers well enough in certain roles.

So far as cancelling moves and supers
    You know how to throw a fireball so we'll work on that and Ryu, the man himself
    I guess.

"Low forward," a.k.a. medium kick, d.mk, whatever.
    It has startup, active hiting, and recovery frames of animation.

Just buffer in your fireball motion, qcf+P during the move as it's hitting and the move will cancel. Same with supers. Hit confirmation becomes a factor in this because you naturally don't want your super blocked. Some supers are safer blocked than others but whatever.
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
  • AbhiAbhi Best Team EVER Joined: Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Noob Q but I cant see the diff beween RC and a normal special move by its self

could someone post a quick 5 sec vid and of a special move used where first it is used normally and then again with RC.

Thanks or please give me a link of a vid like this already done
    I'm like an Hadoken

I'm like Down Right Fierce
    Abhi wrote:
    Noob Q but I cant see the diff beween RC and a normal special move by its self

could someone post a quick 5 sec vid and of a special move used where first it is used normally and then again with RC.

Thanks or please give me a link of a vid like this already done

Can't help you with a vid, but if it helps any you have to listen
    It's not like you're going to see the roll before it gets canceled.

You'll know the results when you hear the character yell (or whatever) when they roll then yell (or whatever) again when their special normally has them yell (or whatever).

Um. In short they'll yell twice (if they yell at all)

That and you see the results since you typically only RC to go through another person's move unless it's something rather dominating like meaty RC electricities
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    if you're doing a non invincible move and see it go through fireballs and other oddities like that, it's RCed =P

if you're RC it first frame (like me), you really can't tell by looking or hearing, either learn to do it slower, or just keep it so the opponent can't tell either, and will just assume you're rcing after they go through their pokes a few times
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I have a noob question so I came to this thread (I'm not a true noob I am just new to 720 characters) Whenever I do honda's 720 move, half the time it registers as his headbutt super. Can someone explain to me what I need to change about the way I am doing the motion? I roll it around clockwise twice and on the input screen it seems to make 2 full circles, yet I get the wrong super. Thanks.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • MixahMixah Joined: Posts: 8,130
    i saw a match video where the one dude cancels C Ken shoryu reppa Lvl 2 into a roll, then DP... how do you do this? i can't get the roll to come out fast enough for a DP
    Beat... That's all.
  • Shin AkumaShin Akuma "My country is the world."..."Independence [for the world] is my Happiness." ― Thomas Paine Joined: Posts: 1,618
    I have a question for all of you.

Is Charge Partitioning in CvS2 considered to be the same as Charge Partitioning in 3s?

An example would be Chun-Li's s. Fierce --> Spinning Bird Kick. Or is this considered Charge Partitioning at all?

Also, in order to execute a proper Charge Partition, do you have to charge for 1 second or 2? Because in 3s it was one IIRC from Thongboy Bebop's thread:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64739
    Charge Partitioning is when you separate the charge time for a single move into more than one section. Which is to say, instead of charging for a full two seconds; you charge, interrupt it with something, charge again, then perform the move. The most common example of this is when you do a dashing charge move, such as Urien Headbutt or Kneedrop. The Kneedrop is like so:

Charge down for 1 second, dash forward, (during the dash) charge down for the full remaining second, then hit up and kick.

For me, it seems you have to charge for 2 seconds.

Also, I don't think it's possible to do "3s style Paritioning", that is to say you are able to dash --> CP Spinning Bird Kick.
    “A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”Bruce Lee
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.Vince Lombardi Jr.
    "Execution wins games." Execution > Strategy. "Execution is like the sun ― every single aspect of fighting games revolves around it." ― Me
    "KNOWING (strategy) is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must DO (execute)." ― Bruce Lee • Leonardo da Vinci • Johann Wolfgang von Goethe • Sun Tzu
    "One may KNOW (strategy) how to conquer without being able to DO (execute) it." "He wins his battles by making NO mistakes. Making NO mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory. ― Sun Tzu
    "If you can execute everything you want to at the right time, you can't lose. And that's why Tomo (Ohira) was the best ever. EXECUTION. He's just quicker, faster, better trained than anyone that's ever lived." ― Jeff Schaefer
  • J-rideJ-ride OG Member Joined: Posts: 2,120 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    m1x4h wrote:
    i saw a match video where the one dude cancels C Ken shoryu reppa Lvl 2 into a roll, then DP... how do you do this? i can't get the roll to come out fast enough for a DP

here is an easy way to explain this, do the shoryu reppa at point blank range on hit five cancel into jab roll (lp) then you literally have all day to do a DP you can even walk a few step forwards and hit him extra deep. If you do it deep you can get in the 3 hits of the flaming DP. Also in the corner you can cancel into jab dp and then shinruyken as they fall back down. So hope that helps.
    Woman was created for our destruction, and it is from her we inherit all of our miseries.

Aramis from The Three Musketeers
  • DeskDesk ハイパー・ディーサイド・デスク Joined: Posts: 705
    Ok, just reading that bit about game speed, I wasn't aware of the arcades variable speed. A long while ago I got a whole bunch of japanese vids (arcade) and it looked alot like they were playing on speed 4. So whenever I practiced on PS2, that's the speed I played. Soon after I entered a tourny and it was on speed 3, proper fucked up my timing. I also found out that pretty much everyone in the UK plays on the default speed (3).

So, question, are console tournies generally held on default speed? And do people change the speed on the arcade versions at all, or is it just slight differences in the default speed? It's hella too slow for me and I've spent so long getting my RC timing on speed 4 that I don't feel I can even be bothered to go back.

Anyway, anyone with lots of arcade/console tournament experience, I'd really appreciate some input.
    Desk wrote:
    Anyway, anyone with lots of arcade/console tournament experience, I'd really appreciate some input.

Arcade's standard settings is generally the model they go by, though in some parts they up it some.
    Shin Akuma wrote:
    *snip*

Well going by Thongboy Bebop's definition I guess a form of Charge Partitioning exists, you can see this when Bison's walking d.MP's, if they connect xx scissors,
    but that may just be an example of the added time you get from counter hits.

Perhaps the best example is Guile's Booms, you don't have to charge the full 2 secs just charge and throw following another poke after the first boom hits. In the time it takes to do that it doesn't seem like 2 seconds honestly.
    (Unless maybe you're playing speed 4 lol)

There's a clear difference in how charge is stored from a regular jump and a superjump/shortjump. Can't explain it other than by providing examples

Guile throws someone in the corner
    Guile superjumps, j.MK, d.MP xx Sonic Boom
    You can be close as fuck so the arc of the jump is interrupted and this still comes out fine. This property of the charging process is similar to short jumps.
    However with a regular jump though this combo doesn't work for some stupid reason, you need more time I guess by inserting two jabs instead of a d.MP.
    Or maybe that's just me. But that's easy enough I don't see how I could be fucking that up.

Don't know if your Chun example is an example of Charge Partitioning, though it would make sense that if you charged for 1 sec, then neutral s.HP xx up+K works for the same reasons involved with the Bison example, but what's wierd with this sequence is that with Bison's scissors you can charge down back and down forward and retain the charge but there's no retention from down to up due to jumping.

Oh well.
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
    so... in K groove... i jump in, JD an attack and I bounce up in the air... now, my opponent literally has all day to think of something to do on my way down...

what can i do to have to worry about that less? i think attemping a JD on an incoming tatsumaki sempukyaku is a good thing... after my friend realized that K groove has no air blocking, he started doing that... that's before i learned how to JD it, but now he'll bait it with a lvl 1 and then counter on my way down..

btw: we're both scrubs at CvS2
    Beat... That's all.
    well, first of all hurricane kick doesn't really antiair, so you can just hit him out of it

and after a successful air JD you should be getting ready to hit them or JD again

@shin
    charge partitioning doens't exist enough to be usable in this game, it's just that they lie about 2 seconds charge, charging only requires about 1.5 seconds

@hell, you're only having trouble with normal jump c mp -> boom cuz normal jumps last a shorter amount of time =P
    if i'm going in deep though and he does it then, i can react for a JD, not an attack. as soon as i land, he rolls or uoh. he can also RC it on occassion, and there's been too many times where i've lost a match cuz i tried to hit him out, and i get fucked for it... teams with me and this guy typically run...

Me:
    K - Dhalsim / Sagat 2/ Cammy or C - Ryu / Sagat 2 / Kim

Him:
    C - Shoto or Ken/Ryu 2/Iori
    Beat... That's all.
  • Shin AkumaShin Akuma "My country is the world."..."Independence [for the world] is my Happiness." ― Thomas Paine Joined: Posts: 1,618
    Hellion wrote:
    *SNIP*

Thanks. That explains a little bit.

Oh and I play on speed 2 since thats what my arcade plays on.

Don't wanna play on speeds other than 2 since it might screw up my timing for CCs.
    “A goal is not always meant to be reached, it often serves simply as something to aim at.”Bruce Lee
    “Gentlemen, we will chase perfection, and we will chase it relentlessly, knowing all the while we can never attain it. But along the way, we shall catch excellence.Vince Lombardi Jr.
    "Execution wins games." Execution > Strategy. "Execution is like the sun ― every single aspect of fighting games revolves around it." ― Me
    "KNOWING (strategy) is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must DO (execute)." ― Bruce Lee • Leonardo da Vinci • Johann Wolfgang von Goethe • Sun Tzu
    "One may KNOW (strategy) how to conquer without being able to DO (execute) it." "He wins his battles by making NO mistakes. Making NO mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory. ― Sun Tzu
    "If you can execute everything you want to at the right time, you can't lose. And that's why Tomo (Ohira) was the best ever. EXECUTION. He's just quicker, faster, better trained than anyone that's ever lived." ― Jeff Schaefer
    BoswerLK wrote:
    @hell, you're only having trouble with normal jump c mp -> boom cuz normal jumps last a shorter amount of time =P

Yeah, but, I'm doing this in the corner, and as a result the super jump's duration until the j.MK connects is for all intents and purposes the same exact amount of time a regular jump j.MK in the corner is (Both examples done with the j.MK hitting as deep and meaty as possible, considering the differences between the two)

I think there's more to it than my timing:looney:

Although if we were in the center of the stage you would be correct:rofl:
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
  • DeskDesk ハイパー・ディーサイド・デスク Joined: Posts: 705
    Arcade's standard settings is generally the model they go by, though in some parts they up it some.

yeah I guessed as much, still waiting out on some more info though... anybody? Like has anybody been in a tournament on speed 4? even better, what speed is it set to at evo?
  • Vega_RedVega_Red Joined: Posts: 148
    Speed3 on console is the closest to the arcade version (some people say that console speed3 is even a little bit faster than arcade, but I'm not sure about that), speed4 is definately too fast. Speed3 is also console tourney standard.
    ive been here for a while and I can't seem to find the "really fast DPs without messing up" thread. can somebody give me a link here? thanks.
  • Nick T.Nick T. Joined: Posts: 3,976
    CvS2AGruv wrote:
    ive been here for a while and I can't seem to find the "really fast DPs without messing up" thread. can somebody give me a link here? thanks.
    Search for "buffer DPs" or "repeated dps"
    "It's not your characters' weakness, but weakness in yourself.
    Practice it hard and you can beat anybody." -Kuni
    Nick T.: The previous forward buffers into the next d > f and so on.
    f > d > f + p

I don't have to go df+P or do qcf's right?

2hai: thanks for the psychological part of practicing DPs. i knew that i was missing something. i hope that i get it right later.
  • 2hai2hai Joined: Posts: 171
    No problem, just focus on "proper technique" and u'll eventually get it.
    And another thing is to practice both sides evenly. Cause if practice one side exclusively, its going to be awhile to learn the other side, which would also affect how you play if u can only do CC's on one side. Just be patient and u'll eventually see results.
    thanks man. i'll check out replies to my other posts before hitting the arcade later.
    I have a few questions about RCing that I'd like some help with. First, I read the post on it that Buktooth linked in the first post of this topic so I generally know what needs to be done, I just need clarification.

First of all, what does it mean to negative edge something?

Second, I'm having some issues RCing my funky kicks with Ken and would like to know how I'm supposed to RC something but use lk as the finisher for the move, as is the case with the Funky Kick. Do I just tap the lk really fast after hitting the roll or is there an easier way?
  • D@RUD@RU "Sonic Poo!" Joined: Posts: 265
    Hi all, i am quite new to all these fighting terms, and read some faq of this thread.
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Fighting_game_terms

This one is also well done i think.

Just one question, what do you call a meaty hit?
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

CVS2 : C-Groove Claw, Guile, Sagat²
    MVC3 : Wolverine(barrage), Trish(peekaboo), IronMan(unibeam)
    SSF4: FeiLong
    Wargods -_-' The mighty ANUBIS!!!
  • LionxLionx Do the Stun Super! Joined: Posts: 925
    I call a meaty hit where as a person wakes up, you stick a move with long attack/hit frames inside where the person will wake up, making reversals harder to do. Thats my interpetation of it...
    CvS2: (C-Ryu, Terry, Rolento; K- Rolento, Geese, Kyo.) + Sagat/Cammy
    KoFXIII - Andy, Terry, Maxima ; BB: Tao >:3
    My IPlayWinner Article on CvS2: http://tinyurl.com/83dv74g
    High Level CvS2 vlog: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Lionx
  • D@RUD@RU "Sonic Poo!" Joined: Posts: 265
    ok i got the idea^^ Thx!
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

CVS2 : C-Groove Claw, Guile, Sagat²
    MVC3 : Wolverine(barrage), Trish(peekaboo), IronMan(unibeam)
    SSF4: FeiLong
    Wargods -_-' The mighty ANUBIS!!!
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    It also gives you a lot more frame advantage and makes things like sagat meaty c.fierce > c.fierce possible
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    I'm having trouble RCing certain moves. I got the charge back + F attacks RCed (Bison's Psycho Crusher, Blanka's Ball.) But im having trouble RCing QCB and other stuff (Tatsu, and other stuff.) Any advice? Are some moves NOT RC-able?
    It's just about timing, qcf/b, hcf/b, charge b-f, ppp, kkk are all RC-able
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    And basically, it just comes out as fast as a kara cancel in 3s? Like, I input the motion that fast?
    I never played 3s but, its the same as doing a kara cancel.
    Hey Buktooth, mind checking and editing some of the links in your first post?A few dont work.
    Hey Buktooth, mind checking and editing some of the links in your first post?A few dont work.

Alot of the old links in these thread don't work because either the site is no longer running or its been deleted off the site because its so old.
    Hi everyone!

Sorry for disturbing...

I'm new in cvs2 and I have a question related with the different versions.
    I have the PS2 PAL version. And when I see some videos, it seems that my game is really slower. Is it because the PAL version only supports 50Hrz? If it is the case, is the NTSC version faster? Thanks in advance for your answers.
  • tetsuye00tetsuye00 I've got an AKA Joined: Posts: 589
    Having worked in the game industry and tested games, standard PAL tv's output 50hz and NTSC tv's are standard at 60hz. That doesn't actually change the play speed of the game though.

What version of CVS2 do you have. normal or EO?
    CVS2 GUIDEBOOK: http://www.idiomendeavors.net/

SFIV: Honda/Akuma/Sim
    CVS2 : K-CBS;
    SC3: Zasalamel
    Hi Tetsuye. Thanks for your answer.

I have the normal version of cvs2. The reason why I asked this question is because, in Gulty Gear XX#, you can chose the option you want (50Hrz or 60Hrz)(in the PAL version). And the fact is that the 50Hrz "version" is slower than the other.
    Really, PAL-50 shouldn't run any slower than PAL-60. It should just drop frames. I could be wrong, but that has been my experience. wierd.

• pyro_dragunpyro_dragun Chun-licious Joined: Posts: 164
    Okay, I read the first page about RCing, but when exactly do you press LK+LP? Is it after you enter in the command for the special move, or is it sometime during it?
    CvS2 - C- Cammy, Chun, Sagat R2
    ST: Chun, Cammy
    Okay, I read the first page about RCing, but when exactly do you press LK+LP? Is it after you enter in the command for the special move, or is it sometime during it?

Add the roll about halfway through the move motion. Usually on the down or df/db before the move finishes.

• JuggyJuggy Joined: Posts: 413
    Anyone know of a way to access old threads, such as the links in Nick T.'s post (#40)? It's been some time ago but I was going to read some, but none that I tried worked.
    I MAIN GOKU RYU E HONDA LOL ??? NO ONE CARES JK RFORLFL