New to CvS2? Read here before asking questions!

Comments

• MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    Anyone know of a way to access old threads, such as the links in Nick T.'s post (#40)? It's been some time ago but I was going to read some, but none that I tried worked.

Reformat URL to new style.
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    hey thanks guys im not a cvs2 bad ass bot this rcing shit is incredible since i suck up my pride and red how to rc it may sound funny but i use to roll then try to do the special move after very fast .
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    hey thanks guys im not a cvs2 bad ass bot this rcing shit is incredible since i suck up my pride and red how to rc it may sound funny but i use to roll then try to do the special move after very fast .

Huh?
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • CMXCMX Hateful Henry Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Huh?

i think he means roll super. >.>
    Making Designer Combos
  • RaidenRaiden Joined: Posts: 86
    This was the post about what to do if you suck at RC. It says its not found when I click on the link. Is there anywhere else I can get this info?
    CvS2 Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I suck at RCing. Any tips?
    A: Check my old post here:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1058189&highlight=display#post1058189
    A True Warrior Enters the Arena with ALL of his powers at the ready . . .
    - Gouki, SFA the Movie
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,077
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
    checked the first post, are DC and PS2 speeds identical?
    Is there a post/ guide/something that ranks each character in each groove?Like their best groove down to there worst groove?
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Is there a post that breaks down common team abbreviations (for instance: CBS, Are, etc.)?
  • Weak SauC3Weak SauC3 That's a bad trade Joined: Posts: 847
    checked the first post, are DC and PS2 speeds identical?

i've read a ton of different opinions on this but it honestly seems to me and everyone i play with that there is a speed difference. We usually have two TVs set up, one with PS2 CvS2 and one with DC MvC2, but sometimes more people want CvS2 so we set it up on both TVs. When switching between PS2 and DC there is a crystal clear difference in speed, IMO. I have to slow down my PTF and Shosho motions to get them to come out correctly on the DC version.
  • RyanTheRobotRyanTheRobot Lord of the Bling Joined: Posts: 327
    Is there a post that breaks down common team abbreviations (for instance: CBS, Are, etc.)?

CBS is Cammy Blanka Sagat and the only common team abbreviation I've ever heard. Never heard of Are or have any ideas what it might stand for. It might be some Japanese player I know a lot of times you hear stuff like team Mago or team Bas which are two well known Japanese players that use a specific team. Your best bet if you can't figure it out is to just ask in the thread you see it in or in the "Ask Me Something" thread if the one you see it in is in one of the dead character forums.
    "Little known fact: nothingxs is actually a rare spanish breed of oompaloompa." - Anthony, RandomNigger, Adam*Warlock

CvS2: K Black (Bison, Balrog, Blanka) - MvC2: Guile/Cable/Cyclops - GGAC: Millia Rage - RPS: Rock - 3S: Ken
    ARE is a term for the best possible combination in a groove. A-ARE was A/Sak-Bison-Blanka, but i think Vega replaced Sak. P-Are is P-Kyo/??(Sagat IMO)/Cammy.
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
  • shooshoo t('.' )t Joined: Posts: 5,455 mod
    where is the right place to ask: "hey i have some footage of me playing, can someone watch it and analyze for me?"
    since 2005
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,536
    I guess you can post it here or make a universal thread so that others can do the same
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    Ask me something thread
    Just started learning this game and wanted to know what to practice first, I find the combo system hard to get use to with those strict timings and hit confirming are nothing like 3rd strikes.
    Any tips would be helpful
    Depends on your characters but you'll find that you can do some combos slower than you think eg: shoto: short, short xx super.

I would learn some safe block strings first but what team and groove have you got?

Also know what far reaching normal you can use to punish whiffs that cancels into supers this is quite important.
    My team is cammy ken and sagat I like both K and C groove
  • UtsusemiUtsusemi S.O.N.S Joined: Posts: 200
    Go through the move list and see what each special and super does, Look up some bnb combos for your characters like Ken's is Cr.lk Cr. lk St.lk xx Hcf lk for example. Check out your characters lv. 2 cancels for C-groove and JDing should just come naturally from playing more, that team is a good team for both C and K groove.
  • LeezyLeezy In gaming, I age in dog years... Joined: Posts: 1,397
    ^
    Search YouTube for "Combofiend" and "John Choi." I don't see any reason to play that team in K or C differently from either of them.

Oh, and as far as comparisons to 3s go, there aren't as many hit confirms in CVS, and rarely are they one hit, confirm, super. Most of them are confirming off of multiple hits, which are easier in CVS than in 3s.
    Same old dog, same old tricks...
    Thanks for the tips guys
  • ZakyoZakyo Dream King Joined: Posts: 216
    Help?

I can't do it consistently, about 8 out of 10 in training mode but when I game with a
    friend it becomes a Gamble? The sad thing is i can do ryo half a circle backwards (P)
    and i can't do Bison R/C Charge move, whats the timing? do i rub on the pad,
    Bk+R/C then rub the motion F+(P)? and make sure there is no negative edge on the R/C? or Charge BK then leave the pad netrual then Roll,with no negative edge am told anyways, then Tap (F+P)? And I have no idea why i can do Ryo F,df,d,db,B+(P)
    R/C move and I can't do iori? :wonder: It drive's me nuts!
    Am a Game geek, only when it comes to all, capcom, snk, namco, tecmo,sega,hudson, game Fighter's of course, 2D and 3D only. I am a force to be reackened with lol! O yeah
    Fuck mortal kombat and Damn that Cammy hahahaha!
  • HellionHellion .5 Beat Combat Joined: Posts: 888
    I can't do it consistently, about 8 out of 10 in training mode but when I game with a
    friend it becomes a Gamble? The sad thing is i can do ryo half a circle backwards (P)
    and i can't do Bison R/C Charge move, whats the timing? do i rub on the pad,
    Bk+R/C then rub the motion F+(P)? and make sure there is no negative edge on the R/C? or Charge BK then leave the pad netrual then Roll,with no negative edge am told anyways, then Tap (F+P)? And I have no idea why i can do Ryo F,df,d,db,B+(P)
    R/C move and I can't do iori? :wonder: It drive's me nuts!

Wow boss, you're a force to be reckoned with yet you can't RC?
    j/k

Have you read through this thread, used the "search through this thread" option to find help with RCs, gone through in depth all threads in general strategy regarding RC's?

Check out Buktooth's Iori faq with regards to Iori's RC's.

I am not sure what the problem is with your Iori.

Basically man, your questions are a little too vague.

If you mean Bison's torpedo move, the Psycho Crusher,
    charge back or down back, hit roll then "slam" the stick towards opponent and press punch,

-or-

roll the stick from the charge position towards the opponent:hcf: and make sure to hit the roll buttons in the middle of all that and hit punch at the end.
    In essence, it's the reverse of Ryo's hcb, but with the charge beforehand.
    This is done really fast btw, within a window of 3/60ths of a second.

for Iori's Fierce Rekka, start with the stick in the down position, and from there hit roll then qcb + HP.

That's effectively the only way that is going to work, because he has another move that's hcb, and if you mess up you will probably get Iori's running grab.

Forget RC'ing the scum gale. Ain't gonna happen.
    "No one quits SRK. NO ONE" -wepeel
    P-Kyo(2), Guile, Cammy
    ST-Guile
  • VPTVPT I give up... Joined: Posts: 765
    Quick question about CvS2 for PS2: What buttons does the game let you assign for controls? My joystick has buttons for square, triangle, circle, x, R1, and L1. But if I recall correctly, the game doesn't let you assign to R1? I could be wrong but want to make sure before I buy the game.
    No you can assign to any of the 8 buttons.
  • VPTVPT I give up... Joined: Posts: 765
    No you can assign to any of the 8 buttons.
    Did you double check or do it from memory?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I have a vague memory of not being able to assign a button for some reason.
  • CMXCMX Hateful Henry Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Did you double check or do it from memory?

I'm not trying to be rude, but I have a vague memory of not being able to assign a button for some reason.

no, atb_555 is correct, some people reorder almost all 8 of the buttons that i've seen.
    Making Designer Combos
  • D@RUD@RU "Sonic Poo!" Joined: Posts: 265
    You can only configure 6 buttons on DREAMCAST version.
    So don't worry, be happy!
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

CVS2 : C-Groove Claw, Guile, Sagat²
    MVC3 : Wolverine(barrage), Trish(peekaboo), IronMan(unibeam)
    SSF4: FeiLong
    Wargods -_-' The mighty ANUBIS!!!
  • AznmnkyAznmnky Mr. Robot Joined: Posts: 395
    Quick question about CvS2 for PS2: What buttons does the game let you assign for controls? My joystick has buttons for square, triangle, circle, x, R1, and L1. But if I recall correctly, the game doesn't let you assign to R1? I could be wrong but want to make sure before I buy the game.

That's dreamcast button setup.

For PS2, you can still assign buttons to R1 and L1, but only thing is you won't be able to change the order of your 3rd character.
    http://www.myspace.com/davent123
    http://www.facebook.com/davent123

Scooby Doo can doodoo, but Jimmy Carter is smarter.....
    There's a dead link I really wish were not dead.

Q: How do I fight against RCs?
    A: People inexperienced against RCs often make the mistake of denying that they exist and will often keep challenging them over and over with different moves. You cannot outprioritize an RC. They are invincible. Can you beat an RCing player? Definitely. Here's an old post I made which should help:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/show...ne#post1684446

I'll research and probably find your post. If I find it, I'll include the updated link here.

I think the biggest thing that will help newcomers is fighting against RC. Learning how to fight with RC should come second.

Another dead link, but not as big a deal to me ;) :

lastly, here's here's a ton of threads with commonly asked questions.
  • FSgamerFSgamer Cheap Tactics!!! Joined: Posts: 1,315
    There's a dead link I really wish were not dead.

Q: How do I fight against RCs?
    A: People inexperienced against RCs often make the mistake of denying that they exist and will often keep challenging them over and over with different moves. You cannot outprioritize an RC. They are invincible. Can you beat an RCing player? Definitely. Here's an old post I made which should help:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/show...ne#post1684446

I'll research and probably find your post. If I find it, I'll include the updated link here.

I think the biggest thing that will help newcomers is fighting against RC. Learning how to fight with RC should come second.

Another dead link, but not as big a deal to me ;) :

lastly, here's here's a ton of threads with commonly asked questions.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=1684446&highlight=sakura+hurricane#post1684446
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=2350967#post2350967
    FSgamer aka FS7 --- Cheap Tactics for the Win ---

random CvS2 player
  • EveryFlowerFlowEveryFlowerFlow You Want Pain? Aegis Reflector Joined: Posts: 3,778
    where's that site with cc's for every character?
    I make Jazz-Hop/Soul-Hop: http://releases.prosodij.co.uk
  • UtsusemiUtsusemi S.O.N.S Joined: Posts: 200
    where's that site with cc's for every character?

http://namonaki.com/games/
    yea...i know...i'm late. well here's my question: i play on a ps2 pad and it's really hard to cancel regular moves into supers. for example: rock's c.mk into qcfx2 ppp, and cammy's s.hk into qcfx2 kkk. i've played around with the game and found a shortcut which i've heard online that's called "blending." basically for rock it would look like this: d, d/f, f, d+mk, d/f, f+k. this was i don't have to mash qcf like mad to try and get the super out. my problem is this trick doesn't work with cammy's s.hk. since if i do the first d, d/f, f+hk motion it will turn into her drill move. does anyone else use this "blending" technique, if so how do u blend her s.hk into her super?
  • PieguyPieguy 3.1415926535897932 Joined: Posts: 1,650
    I've never heard it called blending. Most people call it buffering or two in one's. To answer your question, if there is a motion overlap on a special and super, you usually can't buffer. You end up having to just input during active frames or you use a different normal (s.mp or c.mp or s.hp). However I know this sucks cause her standing hk is the farthest ranging normal I believe. If you decide to just input during the active frames, then make sure you hold down the hk so you don't get any negative edges.
    Founding Member of Pakside
    Hold down the button. I also play on pad, and can consistently punish whiffs. Do st HK (HOLD) QCF x2. If you see it hitting, release HK (or press another K button) and watch the magic.
  • MixahMixah Joined: Posts: 8,130
    back in the day in sf2 Sagat's Tiger Knee move was performed by going:

:qcf: :uf: + kick

actually, it was :db::qcf::uf:+:k:

So, I want to ask...

Is it worth me learning this game? I've only ever played this game for the kicks of it and just used the most basic fighting game strats (pokes, crossups, etc) and nothing specific to this game (rc, A-groove, etc - I play C Blanka, cammy ken and sometimes I use K groove)

I just don't see competition for this game anymore. Worth it, or better off just focusing on SF4 when it's released in Feb?
    Beat... That's all.
  • No defenceNo defence idk -_- ? Joined: Posts: 1,025
    Cvs2 is probably Capcom's best street-fighter to date. (Next to Super Turbo)

SnK characters Aside........ Being a CVS2 Player gives you a Strong foundation for Capcom fighting games out side of the Marvel series.

If you can play CVS2 you can play ST,3S, and STREET FIGHTER 4.

SF4 is the hot right now...... so I would probably put more time into SF4.

Cvs2 has a high replay value for me so I won't be quitting anytime soon. One you learn/master a game you never forget how to play. It's like riding a bike.

C groove Ken, cammy, Blanka is a very strong C team!
    Adapt or Die.
    Well, ST is my main game... 3S, I absolutely fail at... MvC2 is fucking retarded to me nowadays.

So perhaps...
    Beat... That's all.
    The game is really fun. Yeah, it has its glitches, (RC), cheapness (damm CCs, K lvl3), but the combo system, team dynamics, and gameplay style (poke oriented) makes it REALLY good. Also it has really good artwork and music, and infinite replay value if you find someone that likes it too.

IMHO, it doesnt get old tiereing wise (unlike 3s and marvel), so a lot of characters are rally fun and viable to play, always. Give it a try, it might grow on you..
    i'm thinking more in the area of..

"will there be tournaments in 2 years - evo level - for this game?" (not AT evo, since apparently only one game is returning)

because, i'm pretty confident mvc2 will be around for a while... ST looks to be replaced finally with SF4.... SF3 might still be around. But the rest... can't say for sure.
    Beat... That's all.
  • ShervinShervin 09'er Joined: Posts: 1,994
    Well, heres hoping to someone reading this.

Im switching over from C to P groove (thinking about it at least), but should I even bother? Ive been fucking around with parries, and it seems that it would be impossible to master it. With such a diverse roster, it would be a very tedious task to master the timing for each characters moves. Can you guys parry consistently? Is it something I should try to grind out or should i stick with C groove? I dont play competitively btw, just for fun against my bro and his friends.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

__

I've been told I'm entertaining in Battlefield and my roommate and I often get in fist fights over Nba 2k, watch here:
    Watch live video from shervin_ on www.twitch.tv
  • Da BoogeymanDa Boogeyman Joined: Posts: 2,292
    I use P-groove so i could do consistent chip damage, and not rely on the super bar to get me there, so i use P-groove sort of like the Super bar from ST

If you want something that's less dependent on memorization, try k-groove
    I use P-groove so i could do consistent chip damage, and not rely on the super bar to get me there, so i use P-groove sort of like the Super bar from ST

If you want something that's less dependent on memorization, try k-groove

Eh, K groove bores me. Im going to try out A-groove. Anyone know any guard break combos with Ken/Rock/Kyo? Ill check their forums in a sec. And does anyone know how to do this?

I always end up accidentally doing his super...

__

I've been told I'm entertaining in Battlefield and my roommate and I often get in fist fights over Nba 2k, watch here:
  • GaspGasp | | | | | Joined: Posts: 4,611
    Well, heres hoping to someone reading this.

Im switching over from C to P groove (thinking about it at least), but should I even bother? Ive been fucking around with parries, and it seems that it would be impossible to master it. With such a diverse roster, it would be a very tedious task to master the timing for each characters moves. Can you guys parry consistently? Is it something I should try to grind out or should i stick with C groove? I dont play competitively btw, just for fun against my bro and his friends.

generally if you see it once you should have an idea of how it works
    so jump in parry or stand and parry a move they throw out, take the risk if you miss the parry its small damage if you parry it you get meter and learn the properties of what can and can't be done after.
    (i.e for example with ken if you parry blanka's electricity super you can punish with short hop j.hk c.lk c.lk super)
    but i mean all it boils down to is knowing when they're going to attack and then it becomes a principle of how many times you need to parry after that and how to punish it and depending on character you can skip parrying an entire move and just 1 hit parry into a beefy ass normal -> super

as for that dragon dance
    thats really hard

its [T+HK, DP+HP]xN
    Lunchtime Shopper
    Hmm ok thanks...how about this one? Is this as hard to do, and how do you do it?

__

• GaspGasp | | | | | Joined: Posts: 4,611
    shoshosho?
    no it just takes practice.
    sf4 player i assume?
    that can be done either two ways.
    the roll method and the dp method
    the roll method is the easy(i.e: lazy) method of performing it.
    basically input the first dp+p then [qcf+p]xN till super

the dp method is actually doing each dp in the cc.
    this is way harder but you'll get some more damage.

stick to the first one.
    Lunchtime Shopper
    shoshosho?
    no it just takes practice.
    sf4 player i assume?
    that can be done either two ways.
    the roll method and the dp method
    the roll method is the easy(i.e: lazy) method of performing it.
    basically input the first dp+p then [qcf+p]xN till super

the dp method is actually doing each dp in the cc.
    this is way harder but you'll get some more damage.

stick to the first one.

Eh yeah I play SF4 a lot now but I started with HF. I use a Gamecube controller too for CVS2 (yeah..) so that COULD be a factor of why I find it troubling. Do I do the DP, go back to neutral, and then do the qcfs? I dont want to accidentally throw out a super. Ill try it later tonight after I finish my paper, thanks a lot.

__

• AegisJoshAegisJosh Joined: Posts: 19
    Q: I suck at RCing. Any tips?
    A: Check my old post here:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/show...ay#post1058189

404 error.

Anybody got the new adress?
  • J.ScogzJ.Scogz Bye Joined: Posts: 2,378
    Is Buktooth around to update that front post?
    It's been real.