New to CvS2? Read here before asking questions!

Comments

• 2hai2hai Joined: Posts: 171
    No problem, just focus on "proper technique" and u'll eventually get it.
    And another thing is to practice both sides evenly. Cause if practice one side exclusively, its going to be awhile to learn the other side, which would also affect how you play if u can only do CC's on one side. Just be patient and u'll eventually see results.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    thanks man. i'll check out replies to my other posts before hitting the arcade later.
    I have a few questions about RCing that I'd like some help with. First, I read the post on it that Buktooth linked in the first post of this topic so I generally know what needs to be done, I just need clarification.

First of all, what does it mean to negative edge something?

Second, I'm having some issues RCing my funky kicks with Ken and would like to know how I'm supposed to RC something but use lk as the finisher for the move, as is the case with the Funky Kick. Do I just tap the lk really fast after hitting the roll or is there an easier way?
  • D@RUD@RU "Sonic Poo!" Joined: Posts: 265
    Hi all, i am quite new to all these fighting terms, and read some faq of this thread.
    http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Appendix:Fighting_game_terms

This one is also well done i think.

Just one question, what do you call a meaty hit?
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

CVS2 : C-Groove Claw, Guile, Sagat²
    MVC3 : Wolverine(barrage), Trish(peekaboo), IronMan(unibeam)
    SSF4: FeiLong
    Wargods -_-' The mighty ANUBIS!!!
  • LionxLionx Do the Stun Super! Joined: Posts: 925
    I call a meaty hit where as a person wakes up, you stick a move with long attack/hit frames inside where the person will wake up, making reversals harder to do. Thats my interpetation of it...
    CvS2: (C-Ryu, Terry, Rolento; K- Rolento, Geese, Kyo.) + Sagat/Cammy
    KoFXIII - Andy, Terry, Maxima ; BB: Tao >:3
    My IPlayWinner Article on CvS2: http://tinyurl.com/83dv74g
    High Level CvS2 vlog: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Lionx
  • D@RUD@RU "Sonic Poo!" Joined: Posts: 265
    ok i got the idea^^ Thx!
    "Grab a tit, squeeze!"

CVS2 : C-Groove Claw, Guile, Sagat²
    MVC3 : Wolverine(barrage), Trish(peekaboo), IronMan(unibeam)
    SSF4: FeiLong
    Wargods -_-' The mighty ANUBIS!!!
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    It also gives you a lot more frame advantage and makes things like sagat meaty c.fierce > c.fierce possible
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    I'm having trouble RCing certain moves. I got the charge back + F attacks RCed (Bison's Psycho Crusher, Blanka's Ball.) But im having trouble RCing QCB and other stuff (Tatsu, and other stuff.) Any advice? Are some moves NOT RC-able?
    It's just about timing, qcf/b, hcf/b, charge b-f, ppp, kkk are all RC-able
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    And basically, it just comes out as fast as a kara cancel in 3s? Like, I input the motion that fast?
    I never played 3s but, its the same as doing a kara cancel.
    Hey Buktooth, mind checking and editing some of the links in your first post?A few dont work.
    Hey Buktooth, mind checking and editing some of the links in your first post?A few dont work.

Alot of the old links in these thread don't work because either the site is no longer running or its been deleted off the site because its so old.
    Hi everyone!

Sorry for disturbing...

I'm new in cvs2 and I have a question related with the different versions.
    I have the PS2 PAL version. And when I see some videos, it seems that my game is really slower. Is it because the PAL version only supports 50Hrz? If it is the case, is the NTSC version faster? Thanks in advance for your answers.
  • tetsuye00tetsuye00 I've got an AKA Joined: Posts: 589
    Having worked in the game industry and tested games, standard PAL tv's output 50hz and NTSC tv's are standard at 60hz. That doesn't actually change the play speed of the game though.

What version of CVS2 do you have. normal or EO?
    CVS2 GUIDEBOOK: http://www.idiomendeavors.net/

SFIV: Honda/Akuma/Sim
    CVS2 : K-CBS;
    SC3: Zasalamel
    Hi Tetsuye. Thanks for your answer.

I have the normal version of cvs2. The reason why I asked this question is because, in Gulty Gear XX#, you can chose the option you want (50Hrz or 60Hrz)(in the PAL version). And the fact is that the 50Hrz "version" is slower than the other.
    Really, PAL-50 shouldn't run any slower than PAL-60. It should just drop frames. I could be wrong, but that has been my experience. wierd.

• pyro_dragunpyro_dragun Chun-licious Joined: Posts: 164
    Okay, I read the first page about RCing, but when exactly do you press LK+LP? Is it after you enter in the command for the special move, or is it sometime during it?
    CvS2 - C- Cammy, Chun, Sagat R2
    ST: Chun, Cammy
    Okay, I read the first page about RCing, but when exactly do you press LK+LP? Is it after you enter in the command for the special move, or is it sometime during it?

Add the roll about halfway through the move motion. Usually on the down or df/db before the move finishes.

• JuggyJuggy Joined: Posts: 413
    Anyone know of a way to access old threads, such as the links in Nick T.'s post (#40)? It's been some time ago but I was going to read some, but none that I tried worked.
    I MAIN GOKU RYU E HONDA LOL ??? NO ONE CARES JK RFORLFL
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    Anyone know of a way to access old threads, such as the links in Nick T.'s post (#40)? It's been some time ago but I was going to read some, but none that I tried worked.

Reformat URL to new style.
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
    hey thanks guys im not a cvs2 bad ass bot this rcing shit is incredible since i suck up my pride and red how to rc it may sound funny but i use to roll then try to do the special move after very fast .
  • MizukiMizuki ayy lmao Joined: Posts: 3,200
    hey thanks guys im not a cvs2 bad ass bot this rcing shit is incredible since i suck up my pride and red how to rc it may sound funny but i use to roll then try to do the special move after very fast .

Huh?
    www.twitter.com/thenipahhut
  • CMXCMX Hateful Henry Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Huh?

i think he means roll super. >.>
    Making Designer Combos
  • RaidenRaiden Joined: Posts: 86
    This was the post about what to do if you suck at RC. It says its not found when I click on the link. Is there anywhere else I can get this info?
    CvS2 Frequently Asked Questions:

Q: I suck at RCing. Any tips?
    A: Check my old post here:

http://www.shoryuken.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1058189&highlight=display#post1058189
    A True Warrior Enters the Arena with ALL of his powers at the ready . . .
    - Gouki, SFA the Movie
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,085
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
    checked the first post, are DC and PS2 speeds identical?
    Is there a post/ guide/something that ranks each character in each groove?Like their best groove down to there worst groove?
  • goodm0urninggoodm0urning AWKWARD... BITCH Joined: Posts: 14,235
    Is there a post that breaks down common team abbreviations (for instance: CBS, Are, etc.)?
  • Weak SauC3Weak SauC3 That's a bad trade Joined: Posts: 847
    checked the first post, are DC and PS2 speeds identical?

i've read a ton of different opinions on this but it honestly seems to me and everyone i play with that there is a speed difference. We usually have two TVs set up, one with PS2 CvS2 and one with DC MvC2, but sometimes more people want CvS2 so we set it up on both TVs. When switching between PS2 and DC there is a crystal clear difference in speed, IMO. I have to slow down my PTF and Shosho motions to get them to come out correctly on the DC version.
  • RyanTheRobotRyanTheRobot Lord of the Bling Joined: Posts: 327
    Is there a post that breaks down common team abbreviations (for instance: CBS, Are, etc.)?

CBS is Cammy Blanka Sagat and the only common team abbreviation I've ever heard. Never heard of Are or have any ideas what it might stand for. It might be some Japanese player I know a lot of times you hear stuff like team Mago or team Bas which are two well known Japanese players that use a specific team. Your best bet if you can't figure it out is to just ask in the thread you see it in or in the "Ask Me Something" thread if the one you see it in is in one of the dead character forums.
    "Little known fact: nothingxs is actually a rare spanish breed of oompaloompa." - Anthony, RandomNigger, Adam*Warlock

CvS2: K Black (Bison, Balrog, Blanka) - MvC2: Guile/Cable/Cyclops - GGAC: Millia Rage - RPS: Rock - 3S: Ken
  • geadomgeadom Reversal Counter Hit Joined: Posts: 1,085
    ARE is a term for the best possible combination in a groove. A-ARE was A/Sak-Bison-Blanka, but i think Vega replaced Sak. P-Are is P-Kyo/??(Sagat IMO)/Cammy.
    "He´s different, he´s special." Pick up your spear, the only thing you can do is your best
  • shooshoo t('.' )t Joined: Posts: 5,455 mod
    where is the right place to ask: "hey i have some footage of me playing, can someone watch it and analyze for me?"
    since 2005
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,538
    I guess you can post it here or make a universal thread so that others can do the same
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
  • gridmangridman Drill Joined: Posts: 3,221
    Ask me something thread
    Just started learning this game and wanted to know what to practice first, I find the combo system hard to get use to with those strict timings and hit confirming are nothing like 3rd strikes.
    Any tips would be helpful
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,538
    Depends on your characters but you'll find that you can do some combos slower than you think eg: shoto: short, short xx super.

I would learn some safe block strings first but what team and groove have you got?

Also know what far reaching normal you can use to punish whiffs that cancels into supers this is quite important.
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
    My team is cammy ken and sagat I like both K and C groove
  • UtsusemiUtsusemi S.O.N.S Joined: Posts: 200
    Go through the move list and see what each special and super does, Look up some bnb combos for your characters like Ken's is Cr.lk Cr. lk St.lk xx Hcf lk for example. Check out your characters lv. 2 cancels for C-groove and JDing should just come naturally from playing more, that team is a good team for both C and K groove.
  • LeezyLeezy In gaming, I age in dog years... Joined: Posts: 1,397
    ^
    Search YouTube for "Combofiend" and "John Choi." I don't see any reason to play that team in K or C differently from either of them.

Oh, and as far as comparisons to 3s go, there aren't as many hit confirms in CVS, and rarely are they one hit, confirm, super. Most of them are confirming off of multiple hits, which are easier in CVS than in 3s.
    Same old dog, same old tricks...