Columbus, OH - Made you look, Avi!

TiggyTiggy j.B loop > SkittlesJoined: Posts: 2,060
edited April 2013 in Midwest
This will be the last Cbus thread for quite some time, so enjoy.

Thread title tentative, may be changed at a moment's notice.

Quoted from my good friend Capps Indigo, this is kinda sorta the gist of this thread:
if you dont know what the important topics and concerns of this thread are, they include but are not limited to getting the chi community together for gatherings, tourneys, exchange useful info, generally bond, and improve. off-topicness happens and is tolerated so long as its not getting in the way.

Replace 'chi' with 'cbus', and you get the general idea.

FIRST TIME POSTERS, READ BOLDED PARAGRAPH BELOW!!!!

If you're new, just post and make yourself known, along with the games you play. Gatherings are currently being held at Donatos Pizza (OSU Campus) on Wednesdays, 6pm-12am.

Donatos OSU Campus
2084 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43201

IRC info:
irc.synirc.net
#SRK-ohio
Come by and say hi!! Then idle.

Previous Columbus Threads:
Columbus, OH: The Wheel of Hate Is Turning (later changed to "Brent threw his stick at me, and all I got was this lousy thread title")
07-06-2009 to 08-24-2009
Columbus, OH: Brent threw his stick at me, and all I got was this lousy thread title

Columbus, OH: The Kingdom of jinmaster and a Juggalo (later changed to "jinmaster got banned, lolwut")
05-18-2009 to 07-06-2009
Columbus, OH: jinmaster got banned, lolwut

The NEW Columbus, OH Thread: We don't really have a scene, STOP COMPLAINING
04-01-2009 to 05-18-2009
The NEW Columbus, OH Thread: We don't really have a scene, STOP COMPLAINING

Columbus.....OHIO
05-31-2006 to 04-01-2009 (geez)
Columbus.....OHIO

Top Posters/Spammers in Previous Thread:
LuckyDay: 181
WaInut: 167
Tiggy: 136
bbing51: 129
Rakae: 111

As stated above, thread title is tentative and may be changed without notice, so no more polls.

"I like loli, so deal with it."
Post edited by Tiggy on
Kludge: i don't think it's fair to compare professionnal fighting games to doujins like sfxt

<BiGgOvDoInThAnGs> thats the goal of ah3
<BiGgOvDoInThAnGs> stay out of jail long enough to be the best

Comments

• LuckyDayLuckyDay Joined: Posts: 2,870
    Damn it Tiggy, you changed the thread right as I responded to a post. Oh well, Avi, see my response in the other thread.

Also, WTF happened to Bing?
    Evil will always triumph... Because good is dumb....

"I can do the corner infinite on cyclops like 25% of the time" - Governor
  • TiggyTiggy j.B loop > Skittles Joined: Posts: 2,060
    I think Brian is back in school, which shall be my fate next month
    Kludge: i don't think it's fair to compare professionnal fighting games to doujins like sfxt

• AviH20AviH20 I hear that WMD is the bomb. Joined: Posts: 78
    Reposting for new thread:

Thanks for everyone who came out Saturday. Super fun day all around. We don't have a regular weekend thing and things went really well here and I think I'd be up for hosting people more regularly. If there's enough interest for a weekend gathering in addition to Wednesday, I would probably be up for having it here every other weekend at least.

It'll be BYO Hot Dog chips though.

Anyhow, if you are interested in getting together a bit more often, let everyone know in thread and mention what time is best for you.

Also anyone going to this? Looks like Dandy, myself and Jacob are gonna head out there for it.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=196544

Also, I'd like to my stick PS2 connectors. Does anyone have an extra shitty 3rd party controller or something I can buy/have that would work with PS2/PS3 converters? I think Jacob wants his PS2 stick usable on 360 and would like to have someone do that. I've heard some mod talk in this thread but I've not been around enough to know who is doing what.
  • DJ_SanDJ_San rendezvous? Joined: Posts: 1,536
    Oh hey Tiggy, good news. I end up going to Columbus State next month
    It'll be BYO Hot Dog chips though.

If we're doing this again next Sat, I may bring some pizza. Depending on how much I have. Other than that, yeah dude your gathering was pretty cool.
    [18:03] <@AviH20>; infinite iced coffee def owns. | [17:46] <Sketch> i can feel my sperm getting blasted everytime i take a sip of the dew
  • RakaeRakae Be there... Joined: Posts: 854

I don't think he is back in just yet but I know he has been busy.
    Vortex < Bortex
  • MrBlastyV2MrBlastyV2 on Blast Joined: Posts: 1,600
    fuck this new thread name
    www.columbusfightinggames.com
    PM from MR WIZARD "Your avatar has received several complaints. I had to remove it." LMAO
  • bbing51bbing51 Joined: Posts: 332

Yeah I dont go back till about the same time you go back. I think its Sept. 23 :wgrin:
  • radicaledward101radicaledward101 . Joined: Posts: 805
    Yay new thread!!!
    -MBAA - Seifuku Akiha (I only play casuals now. No one wants to play...)
    -VS - Demitri (According to Twitter I'm the worst Demitri ever! [My Biggest FGC Accomplishment])
    -VF - Kage
  • poonpoon always get a receipt Joined: Posts: 1,257
    I'm the hero Bamboo Stick... who are you?
  • FistofFury2000FistofFury2000 Joined: Posts: 361
    Reposting for new thread:

Also anyone going to this? Looks like Dandy, myself and Jacob are gonna head out there for it.
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=196544

Im most likely going there too.
  • GeochronGeochron #1 fan Joined: Posts: 66
    It was nice to meet everyone at Avi's on Saturday. Lots of sweet games 'n' sticks 'n' hotdog chips. Had a fun time getting destroyed in Blazblue.
    Thanks for everyone who came out Saturday. Super fun day all around. We don't have a regular weekend thing and things went really well here and I think I'd be up for hosting people more regularly. If there's enough interest for a weekend gathering in addition to Wednesday, I would probably be up for having it here every other weekend at least.

I'm not done with work until 10pm on weekdays so weekends would actually be the best for me. I'll still try to make it out on Wed & Thurs if you guys are still out that late.

Semi-related: does anyone here know about dual-modding? ie modding a PS3 stick to work on 360 as well? I realize there are tutorials on this site but if I can see something in person that'd be cool.
  • WaInutWaInut Loli dunkin ftw Joined: Posts: 1,293
    Oh hey Tiggy, good news. I end up going to Columbus State next month

If we're doing this again next Sat, I may bring some pizza. Depending on how much I have. Other than that, yeah dude your gathering was pretty cool.
    If anyone gives me a ride we can stop at Little Ceasers in Reynoldsburg and pick up $5 large pizzas
    He's like this American Hero type character, then he's the fuckin main character in the movie. I always related Ryu and Ken as kinda those "secondary twin characters" similar to Phil and Lil.
  • Crimson_Zero12Crimson_Zero12 ¬_¬ SIDE-EYE MADNESS ¬_¬ Joined: Posts: 659

Thanks. I was thinking of something else completely. Good shit.
    "The true indication of a good fighting game – playability, not balance" -Clockw0rk
    If anyone gives me a ride we can stop at Little Ceasers in Reynoldsburg and pick up $5 large pizzas
    If you're working Saturday and we're playing that same day, sure I can drop by and pick you up.
    [18:03] <@AviH20>; infinite iced coffee def owns. | [17:46] <Sketch> i can feel my sperm getting blasted everytime i take a sip of the dew
  • Paul SothPaul Soth Multi-hit normals. Joined: Posts: 344
    Working evenings again, see how this works out.
    Good shit on the hook-up Brent. Wednesday is gonna be fucking HYPE

If you're working Saturday and we're playing that same day, sure I can drop by and pick you up.
    I can be there Saturday if you need me to, if not, my house is practically on the way to Games on Main
    He's like this American Hero type character, then he's the fuckin main character in the movie. I always related Ryu and Ken as kinda those "secondary twin characters" similar to Phil and Lil.
    I can be there Saturday if you need me to, if not, my house is practically on the way to Games on Main

Oh. :| Well, PM me directions or an address, I don't mind being Taxi Driver / picking up a friend.
    Jeeze, get here already Weds, I'm tired of being called a scrub for winning matches without using fancy shit like combos, and FADC's.
  • hitstunhitstun Get it together! Joined: Posts: 264
    Oh crap, I missed the new thread starting up. Here's your link to the last post you haven't read yet; drag it to your bookmarks: Columbus
    I end up going to Columbus State next month
    Columbus State is pretty nice, actually. I took my gen. ed. courses there and saved a lot of money, and some of their instructors teach at other schools too. I hope they solved that parking issue, though.

Been messing around with the PC SF4 for a little bit. I had to buy the game and alternate costumes over again so I could use them online, but there's an app that unlocks everything for you, and then there's the which is [url= . My MAMEbox is ready enough that I can bring it to Brent's place on Wednesday. As long as there's an open TV and one open power outlet, I'm set.
    "Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!" -Bowser
    http://hitstun.bakamostudios.com
  • TheKiestTheKiest Joined: Posts: 231
    New thread eh....

I up for some Tekken and or BB on Weds.

(I also do Smash and wouldn't mind playing SF4 either)

Thurs I work, so no Gameworks for me this week...
    "Blazblue is a game that favors characters that can zone, rushdown, or both. Unfortunately for Hakumen, he is not capable of doing any of these."
    Tekken: Lee, Paul, Law BB: Ragna, Hakumen
    Good shit on the hook-up Brent. Wednesday is gonna be fucking HYPE

welcome sir i got combos nowson watch out!
    PM from MR WIZARD "Your avatar has received several complaints. I had to remove it." LMAO
    My MAMEbox is ready enough that I can bring it to Brent's place on Wednesday. As long as there's an open TV and one open power outlet, I'm set.

But but but but. . . there's a MAME cab in the living room. What's the point?
    "The true indication of a good fighting game – playability, not balance" -Clockw0rk

and the pc mame set up in the living room so thats 2 emulator set ups whats the point? again please refer to the old thread working with now limited space and more bodies than ever there is never room more any set up for people that get there at 10 pm they are all taken usally by 7 30 if your name wasnt on the list of fellas in my previous post regarding this issue please learn to read
    I am interested to see how this mame box turned out. Did you build it into a stick? or do you just have USB slots so we can use our own stick.

Post up some pics.
    Vortex < Bortex
    We might want to go ahead and get a plan for a hotel room for casuals for SBIV....

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7362746&postcount=462

I will get it taken care of this weekend. Anyone who wants to chip in pm me or get at me sometime.

Wow that news is crazy awesome
    Vortex < Bortex
    MOMOs is going to get fined by the city for passing the fire capacity for sure. Shit is too serious. Fucking sardine mode throughout that whole tourney.

On that note, when did the venue fee go up to $25? Pure voyeur this year (and the former two, for that matter).

EDIT: Anybody interested in teaching/co-learning some TvC on Weds? I want to play and improve, not wiggle a stick around and mash buttons while in zombie mode. Luis, I'm looking at you because your sticks will probably be needed. I KNOW YOU SEE ME NIGGA.

EDIT MEGA-DEUCE: Also want to level up in BB. Anybody wanting to put up with a low-tier Jin/garbage-tier Racheal/unplayable-tier Bang can add me to XBL. .34 win-ratio is landfill mode. I blame Marvel 1 for building my turtle-style.
    ...Fucking sardine mode throughout that whole tourney....

Exactly why we need a room. I'm all for watching the main events and playing my matches, but it's going to be tough to get any casuals there.

And yeah, Momos is going to exceed capacity in no time.

• GhaleonGhaleon Maximum Cammy Joined: Posts: 3,467
    Capacity is def a concern -- we're trying to get them to close MoMo's to the public at least Saturday. Once we have pre-regs tallied we can know how many people we can let in for the weekend.

$25 is half of Evo and still less than some other tournaments with no special events, so we feel it's still very fair.
    gdlkEnt - Season's Beatings Twitter:
    Season's Beatings Tournament Series - on Facebook
    Have you considered renting or using any space at the hotels for run off or maybe pool play?

Obviously it will depend on the turnout, but might help a little.

I will give you some money for the room lucky. I am not trying to be a downer and I don't mind the crowds but I don't think momos can handle this. Last year it was full and that was before SFIV and DAIGO!!!

Idea, people who are not playing have to wait in the parking lot. lol

Also 25 is a deal.
    Vortex < Bortex
    Oshit Daigo at SBIV? That shit will be serious.
    Have you considered renting or using any space at the hotels for run off or maybe pool play?

Obviously it will depend on the turnout, but might help a little.

Nah, we should be good with our layout. FR handled 256 people in a day, so at least as we have the layout and we're prepared we should be good
  • bqheathbqheath Trial Time Joined: Posts: 214
    Damn, Daigo at SB4. I wonder if they'll have side bets on the FT10.
    Got'em stealin out they cribs cuz my crack taste like ribs.
    Damn, Daigo at SB4. I wonder if they'll have side bets on the FT10.

I'm sure there will be.

*edit*

Ok guys, here's the info on the hotel room and what we can do.

As far as I can tell there isn't a bigger sized room that's available, I'm guessing Red Roof just has one size room (two beds standard stuff).

I will get a non-smoking room unless enough people tell me to do otherwise.

For now I'm going to plan on one room, if a bunch of people pitch in I can get two right next to each other, but we may not need that.

Reply back and let me know if you're interested in gaming throughout the weekend for MMs and casuals even if you're not able to put any $ in, so I know what to set up.

and the pc mame set up in the living room so thats 2 emulator set ups whats the point? again please refer to the old thread
    Fair enough. If the host doesn't want it there, it won't be there. Sometime next week I'll have the DVD version so I can just run it on Tiggy's laptop or something. Maybe the next time Clint or Avi do something, you'll see it there. I'm sure it won't be long.

The MAMEbox PC itself is an ordinary Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor version. It's small enough that I can carry the whole PC in a backpack. There's no monitor or speakers, only TV connections. I have a dual-controller PS2 controller adapter plugged in the front, and the player 1 controller can navigate all the front-end's menus and start games. A mouse is still required for some games that require mouse input to start, like SF4. I might be able to get away with not having a keyboard.

What the shit? Daigo's coming to town? How'd we pull that off? It's going to be insane! MOMO's really will be too small, even if the pool tables are removed from the room. We might have play matches in the middle of the bowling alley, or in the karaoke rooms.
    "Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!" -Bowser
  • doragonkoroshidoragonkoroshi Joined: Posts: 1,225
    $25 is half of Evo and still less than some other tournaments with no special events, so we feel it's still very fair.

Well, for those of us that are just interested in competing in a tournament and having a good time, 25$ may not seem fair, but you're right. When we consider everything we're getting out of this, and the expenses of flying Daigo out along with everything else, it's gotta be quite the financial burden. Also, I'd imagine it would take a little extra to convince momo's to close to the public. I think those of us who still expect to pay 10 or 15 dollars are either not being respectful of, or just not being realistic about just how big this event has become, and how much effort is being put into it. I think those of us in Ohio need to stop looking at SB as just another local tourney (if we haven't already.)
    "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."
    "...That's rough, buddy."
  • AviH20AviH20 I hear that WMD is the bomb. Joined: Posts: 78
    Fair enough. If the host doesn't want it there, it won't be there. Sometime next week I'll have the DVD version so I can just run it on Tiggy's laptop or something. Maybe the next time Clint or Avi do something, you'll see it there. I'm sure it won't be long.

The MAMEbox PC itself is an ordinary Dell Optiplex 745 small form factor version. It's small enough that I can carry the whole PC in a backpack. There's no monitor or speakers, only TV connections. I have a dual-controller PS2 controller adapter plugged in the front, and the player 1 controller can navigate all the front-end's menus and start games. A mouse is still required for some games that require mouse input to start, like SF4. I might be able to get away with not having a keyboard.

What the shit? Daigo's coming to town? How'd we pull that off? It's going to be insane! MOMO's really will be too small, even if the pool tables are removed from the room. We might have play matches in the middle of the bowling alley, or in the karaoke rooms.

I'm pretty sure you can emulate mouse stuff with joy2key or something. If you are using a 8 button stick to control the thing, you MIGHT be able to use 2 buttons to start something that "requires" mouse input. I would suspect there is a command line option or something to bypass a "settings" option screen or whatever requires the mouse input. I know there are also programs you can use to make mouse input macros which you could probably use to bypass that.

Also, I'm seeing fewer and fewer PS2 sticks at events and such. I probably would configure the frontend to have buttons based on 360 sticks that most people are using if the goal is to bring it to gatherings and such.

Do you have snaps and marquees and shit for your setup? If so, could I get them from you some time?
    Do you have snaps and marquees and shit for your setup? If so, could I get them from you some time?

I have a torrent somewhere that's got thousands of the marquees and front ends.

$$

I don't think it's disrespectful if people complain about the price -- I'd just say if someone looked at what we have set up and it's not appealing to them, yeah, they probably want to stick to 20-man local tournies and the like, that's fine. Like an iPhone is like $200 -- I just need a cell with music so I don't care about the iPhone. But if I wanted a GPS, music, all the apps, etc., the iPhone is actually a steal.

I had a DDR friend come last year, pay, and stayed for like 20 min cos he said he didn't like how crowded it was, lol. Since he didn't care about any of the games much or the big names we had SB probably wasn't for him.

We had Smash people last year skeptical of $20 venue -- we just say here's what we have, if you don't like it that's cool, but you're missing something pretty special in most players' opinion.
  • doragonkoroshidoragonkoroshi Joined: Posts: 1,225
    I had a DDR friend come last year, pay, and stayed for like 20 min cos he said he didn't like how crowded it was, lol.

you crook lol.
    "My first girlfriend turned into the moon."
    "...That's rough, buddy."
    I have a torrent somewhere that's got thousands of the marquees and front ends.

I will have to get that off you.
    Vortex < Bortex
    I'm pretty sure you can emulate mouse stuff with joy2key or something.
    Yeah, I can set up JoyToKey to make the right analog stick move the mouse and R3 do a left click. That should work for everything, but it requires a Dualshock to be plugged in. As for snaps, I only have the official current MAME set from the torrent. It's missing a lot of games, and I don't use the marquees or anything else. I also have snaps for some of the other emulators, but I haven't gotten them to work right with MaLa yet. The snaps don't have the (U) or [!] or whatever in their names, so MaLa doesn't find them.

$25 is a good price for Season's Beatings 4, since it's for the full weekend. Overcrowdedness will be a serious issue, so I hope the layout will be better than in previous years.
    Daigo AND Justin at SB IV?
    Shit that settles it, WOULD ANYONE VOLUNTEER TO BE MY SPARRING PARTNER?
    Edit : .. And unless Ghaleon doesn't mind me paying in person, I may have to ask you, Lucky Day sometime at Gameworks to get me in, I'll probably pay you when I get the cash, you know the drill.
    I think I'll brush up on my Japanese so I can nuthug Daigo....IN JAPANESE
    ????????????????????????????????
    welcome sir i got combos nowson watch out!

All I need you to do is crouch block in the corner so I can break your Guard Meter

But but but but. . . MY FIGHT MONEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEYYY

Daigo AND Justin at SB IV?
    Shit that settles it, WOULD ANYONE VOLUNTEER TO BE MY SPARRING PARTNER?
    Edit : .. And unless Ghaleon doesn't mind me paying in person, I may have to ask you, Lucky Day sometime at Gameworks to get me in, I'll probably pay you when I get the cash, you know the drill.
    I'll play with you on the PC, I really want to practice up now.
    I wasn't complaining, I was asking when it was raised. . .

. . .if I was complaining, I'd say how I'm not paying because $45 (venue fee/bb/Mahvel) is too much for games that I'm not quite comfortable playing at a pro level. But because it's irrelevant and it's my own fault and not yours, I keep it to myself. However, I wouldn't mind casuals. :coffee:
    ^
    Wayne, who was that directed at? :looney: I don't mind paying that much, granted I get hella casuals in since I, too, am not good enough to compete at pro level

I'll play with you on the PC, I really want to practice up now.

I'd love to take you on. Message me as needed to over STEAM.

The coolest shit ever to come out since the motherfucking dreamcast

22 Dollars too, neat.
    Tiggy: Ghaleon, I think. I feel that he thought I was bitching.