Columbus, OH - Made you look, Avi!

Comments

• RyujinflameRyujinflame Bald Eagle, Amazing! Joined: Posts: 316
    GGs guys in SNK, GGs Monty, Jeremy, and Thomas in KoF. Feels good to Sans-Culotte and lose to Mr. Got Bodied once again.
    "What is DHC Glitch? That means you can do a combo into another combo with a super, but that combo, is not landing any combo, but if he knockdown, it's still a combo. You understand?"
  • AthrexAthrex Joined: Posts: 414
    Great turnout last night. Had 3 SF4 setups going. Nice rotation on KoF. Shoutouts to homo-genius. There are even more funny ass goal videos in that soccer game Jason.

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk 2
  • Onizuka1Onizuka1 THE TAR PIT CLUB Joined: Posts: 136
    has nothing to do with the venue, its more that

1. most players here dont have a very competitive attitude, its more laid back/casual
    2. no one is running events that players wanna go to

i was thinking about trying to start running stuff in the future but im not really into running events these days and also dont have accessible transportation. that said im willing to help out if one of these youngins can get some pull with the players around here. im sure guys like travis, clint, or todd would tell you the same thing but i cant speak for them.

I was thinking sometime early next year trying to reach out to a number of people (you, clint, todd, jeremy off the top of my head) and work together to form a weekend 1 day event (potentially recurring) after getting everyone's opinions and input on the best way to approach it with the current state of columbus fgc in mind
    Crash! Into the rolling morning~ Flash! I'm in the coolest driver's high~
    Hey there for those not on Facebook, I'm planning to have a small get-together at my place Friday for fighters / board games around 8. I have spots for two setups (thinking KOF and Marvel) but feel free to bring a TV and setup of your own for other things. I know I'd also like to play some Tekken, and P4 would work too. Let me know if you're interested - my place isn't super-large so I'll probably have to cut off at around 10 people.
    "What is DHC Glitch? That means you can do a combo into another combo with a super, but that combo, is not landing any combo, but if he knockdown, it's still a combo. You understand?"
  • radicaledward101radicaledward101 . Joined: Posts: 805
    Is Donatos happening this week? I'm finally settling in after my move from Cincy. My new job has kept me too busy to do anything, so this is the first week when I have weeknights free. I really want to play some games.

planning to have a small get-together at my place Friday

If there's no Donatos this week count me in, but I have to do Christmas shopping either tonight or Friday night so...

Is anybody going to Christmas Combat on Saturday that has an extra spot in their car? I really don't want to have to drive by myself! ...but I will! ...but I don't want to... I am more than willing to compensate for gas, trouble picking me up, etc. I hate driving.

P.S. For those who haven't played me since I left, I haven't gotten any better at games since the last time I was at a Columbus gathering like 2 years ago...
    -MBAA - Seifuku Akiha (I only play casuals now. No one wants to play...)
    -VS - Demitri (According to Twitter I'm the worst Demitri ever! [My Biggest FGC Accomplishment])
    -VF - Kage
    Yeah it's on tonight Ed. Also you should be good to stop by Friday if you don't have Christmas shopping.
  • HexSellsHexSells Joined: Posts: 367
    I've been thinking about going to one of the nights at Donato's since I live on campus now/will actually have a way to get there but I only play 3S. I play other shit too but I like to think I at least know what I'm doing in 3S. If I bring my own set up, will anyone else play? Maybe I can have some people over if it's cool with my roommates.

"set up" as in a PS3 and no TV.

I have a friend who's trying to learn/play TTT2 as well but apparently, "no one plays it there, I asked".
    "play to get better, not to win."
    TTT2: Not true, as I'm sure a number if other people would say. It changes per night but there are usually at least 3 people playing, and we've had around 10 on some nights.

3S: If you bring it and announce it before game night, people will come out for it. I know a couple of the guys won't come out unless they know it's there.
  • cygnuscygnus going up Joined: Posts: 977
    theres a couple players that are also relatively new to ttt2 (kyle/dulyanna, jeremy/athrex) that are there every week or close to it, so he would definitely have people to play. there are some higher level players that come around every few weeks usually but dont expect them to always be there (hamilton, dan (spearl), anthony (noize)). (you might never see anthony) ;7) kyle (thekiest) also plays, havent seen him in awhile tho.

as for 3s no one really plays it but im sure brian (bqheath) would show up and play you
  • N0!ZE~!N0!ZE~! Lurker of C-bus Joined: Posts: 312
    there are some higher level players that come around every few weeks usually but dont expect them to always be there (hamilton, dan (spearl), anthony (noize)). (you might never see anthony) ;7) kyle (thekiest) also plays, havent seen him in awhile tho.

as for 3s no one really plays it but im sure brian (bqheath) would show up and play you

Yeah, I usually never leave my house. :( lol... But in all seriousness, I haven't played TTT2 in about a month in a half, maybe more maybe less. My PS3 is acting up and chooses when to read blu-rays. I can always try to set up a time to come up to Donatos, but I can't do it weekly or anything.

It's always something with me. D:
    Back in the grind of Tekken, slowly. PSN: xNOIZE-x
    http://wtf.tekken.com/playercard/view/ps3/xnoize-x
  • cygnuscygnus going up Joined: Posts: 977
    lol its all good. also thinking about 3rd strike mustve given me a brain hemorrhage, cause i completely forgot about mr retired luis aka mgear who im sure can still do low forward xx super, you could prolly get him to come out
  • dudefelladudefella Mr. Perfection Joined: Posts: 168
    mgear more like mqueer.
    Body by Kyokugen.
  • DullyannaDullyanna mm hmm... nope Joined: Posts: 1,160
    I've been thinking about going to one of the nights at Donato's since I live on campus now/will actually have a way to get there but I only play 3S. I play other shit too but I like to think I at least know what I'm doing in 3S. If I bring my own set up, will anyone else play? Maybe I can have some people over if it's cool with my roommates.

"set up" as in a PS3 and no TV.

I have a friend who's trying to learn/play TTT2 as well but apparently, "no one plays it there, I asked".

Next time, weather permitting, come along and bring your friend to at least get an idea of how many people will be willing to play the same stuff as you. If there aren't a lot of people, try again another time since lots of people don't like to go out of their homes when it's shitty, cold, and Columbus side roads are ass.
    "Making Yun strong on purpose was naturally a dick move"

"3S is a hidden gem."

"SFIV series... kept the matches very technical because there was very few downtimes, even when you are dominated."
  • cheezface immortalcheezface immortal unbeatlievable Joined: Posts: 1,082
    shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/feb-2-2013-plenty-of-corn-decatur-in.174183

Your friends in Indiana is hosting a Street Fighter, Marvel, and Smash tourney in just under a month. Please take a look and consider! :)
    I am, quite possibly, the greatest man alive!
    Steven Seagal as The Cockpuncher - "I don't think you have the balls."
    Chaos Crypt - "I'd say we sound like the primeval howl from the cursed newborn."
    For those at Donato's last night: Someone left a book bag, but the manager there was able to keep it in her office. Be sure to claim it when you can!
  • todtod Joined: Posts: 216
    Hey guys. I was thinking about checking things out this week. Hopefully I don't have to work too late, but I'd like to stop by and play some AE and I saw someone mentioned 3S, which I'd be down for as well. I kind of don't play any other fighting games but those would be fun.

Is there a cover charge?
    CFN: todoro | Fightcade: todoro | Steam: intelligentjerk | YouTube | Twitch.tv
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    Hey guys. I was thinking about checking things out this week. Hopefully I don't have to work too late, but I'd like to stop by and play some AE and I saw someone mentioned 3S, which I'd be down for as well. I kind of don't play any other fighting games but those would be fun.

Is there a cover charge?
    No fee, but you are encouraged to buy pizza to support the venue.

Sent from my MOTWX435KT using Tapatalk 2
  • hitstunhitstun Get it together! Joined: Posts: 264
    edited February 2013
    Good games tonight at Donato's, but fuck OSU campus. Traffic made Lane Ave a parking lot on the way in. Just Play Games is apparently done for good, lights out, TVs gone. I eventually made it to Donato's, but the parking meter maxed out at 9:40pm, and at 9:46pm I got a $25 parking ticket. This is why people don't show up until 8pm, if at all.

I don't normally get Wednesdays off of work, so I don't have much of a say in this, but I think we really need a new serious fighting game meetup. One that brings together players from the current meetup, this thread, and #srk-ohio. We had better attendance when the Donato's meetup was moved to Tuesday for a week. As for me, I'm also open Mondays and Thursdays, and I want to play more VF5. Of course, the Columbus fighting game community is so divided and unmotivated that nothing will come of this post. I still read this thread, you know!

Also, holy hell, what happened to the forums? If I turn Adblock off, there's a fucking autoplay video ad on top of the page. The new URL to the latest post is this:
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/78984/#latest
    "Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!" -Bowser
    http://hitstun.bakamostudios.com
  • eli alvarezeli alvarez xbl: eli alvarez Joined: Posts: 7
    can i have the link to the facebook group?
    I posted that 2 months ago? Damn. 
    I have this issue where I post shit and forget I posted it 2 hours later.

I'll be at the next game night, though. I'll try to bring my friend Jason. I won't be bringing a set-up, just my stick.
    Main/only game is 3S (Hopefully someone there will have it and be willing to play it) but I've always wanted to expand my skills and knowledge in GG/VF/VS and probably some other shit no one cares about anymore. I'll be down to learn Marvel too.
    HexSells said:
    I posted that 2 months ago? Damn. 
    I have this issue where I post shit and forget I posted it 2 hours later.

I'll be at the next game night, though. I'll try to bring my friend Jason. I won't be bringing a set-up, just my stick.
    Main/only game is 3S (Hopefully someone there will have it and be willing to play it) but I've always wanted to expand my skills and knowledge in GG/VF/VS and probably some other shit no one cares about anymore. I'll be down to learn Marvel too.
    I have 3S on my 360, but can't guarantee when it'll be up as I leave my setup open for KOF XIII and Marvel first. But if things are looking slow in those games, or I go off to another setup, you're welcome to play it on that one.

This is also assuming I'm good enough to show for Wednesday. A little under the weather at the moment.
    Sounds good to me.
    I can wait all day/night to play 3S with someone, I'm just happy to have the opportunity.

• EmphaticFrenzyEmphaticFrenzy Joined: Posts: 3
    Hi everyone, I'm going to be heading over to Donatos sometime around five thirty today. If you spot a random black guy with huge headphones on his cranium that would be me.

I'll be bringing my xbox and stick, I'm hoping to run some games of AE, Persona and 3s if possible.
    The manliest of them all.
  • DJWorkSafetyDJWorkSafety Joined: Posts: 2
    I'll be sure to bring my PS3 next time. I've been putting in some WORK in KoF XIII but I'm still pretty shit tier. I picked up Billy though so I finally have a decent team.

Also holy shit I really wish someone had recorded Hitstun on SFXT with that Gief. So many SPDs.
  • FoggyFoggy Joined: Posts: 73
    Hey

I'm over in Chicago, but I've been offered a position in the graduate program at Ohio University. Columbus looks like the closest major scene, so I thought I pop by with a few questions. What games are popular in Columbus? I mostly play AE and KoF, but I've been trying to pickup Tekken and Persona. Is there a group from Athens that heads over for events? Thanks for the info.
    edited March 2013
    Foggy wrote: »
    Hey

I'm over in Chicago, but I've been offered a position in the graduate program at Ohio University. Columbus looks like the closest major scene, so I thought I pop by with a few questions. What games are popular in Columbus? I mostly play AE and KoF, but I've been trying to pickup Tekken and Persona. Is there a group from Athens that heads over for events? Thanks for the info.

Hey there Foggy. As of late I'd say you can count on KoF, Marvel, AE, and Melee / Brawl, with Tekken, Persona, and some anime fighters next depending on who shows up. We bring all of our own setups for the sake of the fight nights, so you're definitely encouraged to bring your own, and it usually ensures you get to play your games.

There are a couple of players at OU, but I would say that usually stays in Athens and they don't come up this way as often.

If you've got a free Wednesday though, definitely stop by Donatos and we'll see you there.

EDIT: Also before I forget, did anyone take an extra PS3 controller cable last night? Daniel couldn't find his after we left.

EDIT2: Daniel, Freddy mentioned he might've picked it up, so I'd check with him next week or when you can.
    Post edited by Ryujinflame on
  • FoggyFoggy Joined: Posts: 73
    Thanks for the heads up. If I do decide to accept the offer at OU, I'll be sure to stop by for some games.
  • DJWorkSafetyDJWorkSafety Joined: Posts: 2
    Hey, sorry I couldn't make it last time, some stuff came up. I'll be there next week though. Sorry Freddy for making you bring that thing and probably look for me that night, my bad.
  • todtod Joined: Posts: 216
    edited March 2013
    Nice meeting the people I met tonight. Was fun to play some 3s and AE.
    Post edited by tod on
    CFN: todoro | Fightcade: todoro | Steam: intelligentjerk | YouTube | Twitch.tv
    Echoing Dandy's post on the Facebook group:
    Just want to remind everyone that the game night venue is free. This is quite the convenience -- so much of a convenience that one might be encouraged to show common courtesy, such as not leaving trash behind.

This got really bad last night. This only applies to cool prizes a select group of people but at the very least take care of the area around you setup-wise and trash-wise before you leave. Donatos is offering the space to us every Wednesday, so please show some respect for the place. I also realize not every may realize the trash doesn't get cleaned up on its own, so be sure to remind people if they're not taking care of their business.
    Heads up from Travis: Since a group already reserved the Donatos basement for Wednesday, this week's fight night is tomorrow instead. Repeat, Tuesday, not Wednesday, and just for this week as far as we know. See everyone tomorrow!
  • TiggyTiggy j.B loop > Skittles Joined: Posts: 2,060
    Sorry Avi, this one was special request
    Kludge: i don't think it's fair to compare professionnal fighting games to doujins like sfxt

<BiGgOvDoInThAnGs> thats the goal of ah3
    <BiGgOvDoInThAnGs> stay out of jail long enough to be the best
  • Tim StaticTim Static Kid Thunder!! Joined: Posts: 4,635 mod
    Hey Cbus guys, Im running an IGAU tourney tonight at the Gamestop 1704 Morse Road. Not sure exactly what the prize is yet, but i'll have 2 set ups running the game. Doors open at 10pm if anyone's interested.
  • omgerstistonyomgerstistony Registered kiss Joined: Posts: 96
    Hi guys, I'm moving to Columbus in June. My favorite game is MVC2, does anyone still play it? I can also play AE and Mvc3 and other random games. I hope we can become friends <3
    like oh my god do you wanna be facebook friends facebook.com/tvirata
  • OsirunOsirun www.powerupfighters.org Joined: Posts: 2,062
    Heya guys,

Take a look and see if you can make it down for the Injustice, MK9 and/or UMK3 action.

Brutality - May 2013
    Good games to all in KOF. Not that I like to rely on one character, but Shen was definitely helping out in a lot of matches. Hope to get Leona back up to that point.
  • ManiacMike313ManiacMike313 Joined: Posts: 110
    https://www.facebook.com/events/451142301646965/

Michigan Masters is coming June 1
    Location 18600 Haggerty Rd Livonia, MI 48152
    @ Schoolcraft VisTaTech Center & Waterman Campus Center

Venue fee is $5 tourney is $10
    We will be running SSF4ae, UMvC3, TTT2, SFxT, and P4A

Come check us out.
  • dudefelladudefella Mr. Perfection Joined: Posts: 168
    Since no one decided to post it up here.

"FIRST WEEK of each month will be TUESDAY fight night @ Donatos. Every other week will be a wednesday. I have this schedule through out summer until around school starts"
    Body by Kyokugen.
    Good to know.
  • AmadeousAmadeous Accidental Jamage Joined: Posts: 14
    edited June 2013
    So this week's fight night is gonna be Tuesday? Planning on going this week since I'm going to Montreal this weekend for Ultimate Montreal Air Dashers, want to get in more Guilty Gear practice while I can. I'll bring my setup+monitor for Guilty Gear, hope to see people show up.

'course if people just want to start learning Guilty Gear in preparation for AC+R I'm willing to help with that too.
    Man after all the hype with Lethal League my work schedule changed up this week so I have no idea when I'll be able to show up. :(
  • hitstunhitstun Get it together! Joined: Posts: 264
    edited June 2013
    Heads up! Doing an experimental stream from Donato's tonight! Mostly Lethal League

Edit: Archive saved
    Post edited by hitstun on
    "Stomping fools is my business! Show me a fool, I'll stomp it! I don't even need a reason!" -Bowser
    http://hitstun.bakamostudios.com
  • XeroFaithXeroFaith にがもんp Joined: Posts: 26
    Coming this Wednesday with JetM and Townes
  • RakaeRakae Be there... Joined: Posts: 854
    The Facebook group killed this forum, Once 16 bit opens up someone should post up a review here.
    Vortex < Bortex
  • thejoker34thejoker34 Joined: Posts: 1
    Hi there! im going up to columbus for college and i and some of my friends really like to playfighting games (specifically marvel). do you guys still meet? Thanks
    thejoker34 wrote: »
    Hi there! im going up to columbus for college and i and some of my friends really like to playfighting games (specifically marvel). do you guys still meet? Thanks

Sure do. Show up to the Donato's Basement on Wednesdays (though it's Tuesdays the first week of the month) eat pizza and have fun.
  • Disaster740Disaster740 Joined: Posts: 1
    edited July 2013
    A few friends and I might be trying to make the hour drive up and play some games one of these Wednesdays you guys need anymore t.v.s or anything? I had a weekly running down here in Zanesville but I lost my spot. This will probably be better in the long run for our scene anyway.

Edit: A little personal info as this is my first post.
    XBL: Disaster740 add me!

I play mostly UMVC3 and I:GAU right now. But I dabble in all things SF. GG always treats me right. I like to play TTT2 really badly. Also, I've been meaning to get better at Skullgirls :P.
    thejoker34 wrote: »
    A few friends and I might be trying to make the hour drive up and play some games one of these Wednesdays you guys need anymore t.v.s or anything? I had a weekly running down here in Zanesville but I lost my spot. This will probably be better in the long run for our scene anyway.

Edit: A little personal info as this is my first post.
    XBL: Disaster740 add me!

I play mostly UMVC3 and I:GAU right now. But I dabble in all things SF. GG always treats me right. I like to play TTT2 really badly. Also, I've been meaning to get better at Skullgirls :P.

Hey guys. You can generally count on someone playing UMvC3 at game nights, AE depends on who brings a setup, and GG and Skullgirls have seen more play as of late. I can't guarantee TTT2 will always be there, but we've got 2-3 regulars willing to play it if there's a setup. TVs are appreciated, as are power strips. Only so many wall outlets to work with!

Our regular meet up spot is Donatos Pizza on North High Street, at North High Street and Frambes. Action can start as early as 6 but most people are there around 7, ends right at midnight.

Also if you're on Facebook, check out the Columbus Fighting Games FB group. That's where most of the action is these days.

Hope to see you soon!
  • IzusaIzusa Food porn enthusiast Joined: Posts: 3
    Hey, is there any chance someone could host Injustice on the off days aside from Weds? I still don't own a console, but watching yesterday's matches on EVO makes me want to dick around with Nightwing more. Also is anyone here interested in the new Jojo's coming out next month? I know it's an import, but I'll be bringing it once I get it next month if there's a free TV to use at Donatos.