KOF 95 hidden gem?

AlexanderAlexander Joined: Posts: 977
I recently got into this game, and I think it may be my favorite of the Neo Geo era of KOF. Even though I really enjoy 98 and 2K2, my biggest complaint with those games and the KOF's from 96 to 2K2 is the poor controls. I may be in a minority, but I have read that others on here agree with this issue. 98 In particular has very stiff controls, there have been numerous times where a simple :qcf: attack or a :dp: refuses to come out and costing me the match. 2K2 has better controls, but it's not so much as stiff as it is 'picky.' For example, to do a basic 3-4 hit combo, your timing has to be exact, there is zero room for fucking up. The game is very specific, if you hit down, downback, and punch, Iori's recka punch will refuse to come out. It will only come out if you do the full qcb motion and hit A or B just as you hit back. Keep in mind that I've used a Joystick and Controller, and the issues persist. I don't have these problems in Last Blade 2, Garou, or SF3, not by a long shot.

95 has very smooth controls, if you fail, you just suck, you can't blame the controller. Even thought it doesn't have as many characters, and lacks short hops. It just has that 'feel' and attention to detail that pulls you in. To be honest; the game truly feels like SNK's take on Super Turbo. It's hard to describe, but it has a similar vibe and really appeals to the fans of the older fighters.

Check it out.

Comments

• Bahn YukiBahn Yuki Joined: Posts: 128
    KOF95 is still my fave KOF. Sure the damage is obscene, but the stages, characters and controls are all win for me.

Music was top notch!
  • meiji_99meiji_99 Joined: Posts: 103
    that game was good, music, background, strong cast, control, but the damage is way too high.
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ゆうしょう よゆうッチ! MOTHAF**CKA!! Joined: Posts: 3,572
    I have said it many times but for me,

playing neo geo 98,2k2 with a sanwa stick is impossible. it has to be happ or nothing

the ps2 ports are different story though
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
  • fiolfiol Joined: Posts: 1,419
    95 to me it's too fast..i stick with 94 (also because there is no iori in that one..yeah!) XD
    Lowpstore.com (the best place for arcade stick and stuff) Check it out!
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice young old guy Joined: Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Korea stage music is amazing in 95.
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
  • G.O.TG.O.T #1 Haggar fan Joined: Posts: 2,164
    I told people that KOF95 was just badass.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
  • Hatred EdgeHatred Edge No Ningens Allowed Joined: Posts: 16,611
    the damage is way too high.
    Sounds like I'm passing on this one.
    Has anyone thanked you today for not setting the whole world on fire?

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • Dandy JDandy J now you face a super saiyan shaolin Joined: Posts: 2,790
    Sounds like I'm passing on this one.
    no please dont we all care a lot whether or not you play this game
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
    It's nice to know that you care Dandy. What would I ever do without your thoughts? My life has so much more meaning since you have entered it.

They should. I won't. I advocate setting the world on fire. But morons who actually like it, benefit from society, would do well to thank you and men like you for not visiting hell upon them.

"You don't know what it's like to hate. To have your entire life become nothing more than an expression of hate. Nothing else matters. Nothing else can compare. Or taste as sweet."
  • The Lone DragonThe Lone Dragon perverted feminist Joined: Posts: 3,865
    Try beating arcade mode on the hardest difficulty. You won't like '95 anymore.
    Watch Porkchop 'n Flatscreen: Episode 2 on Youtube! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53Z4Kj1Etrk
    VIEW my animations and music: http://emezie.com
    READ my sister's book- http://nnedi.com
  • Sol_ShingoSol_Shingo Joined: Posts: 489
    '95, SNK AI at its best/worst (well, KOF AI at least, AoF2 is still more painful to play alone). Being unable to play multiplayer has really made me unable appreciate this game.
    that game was good, music, background, strong cast, control, but the damage is way too high.

Yeah, even if it's in MAX mode, stuff like a simple C->qcb+Cx3 from Iori doing 75% is just ridiculous.
  • MUSOLINIMUSOLINI Joined: Posts: 1,533
    the first great kof. the last and best old school 2d fighter (when graphics changed form old school ugly to good lookin alpha, lb, vh, kof96 shit & onwards typa shit).
    Shells in the mouth, jailhouse snitch
    My powder voice, Snow White stiff
    Verbal killas, gorilla grip
    God body shit, puff Marley spliffs
    overall 95 was a good game, old school style to the maximum level, that game has depth too.
    good mind game, nice gameplay speed, and nice high low projectile avoider using special move (terry,joe qcb k will beat ground base projectile, iori dm beat mid projectile, etc).
    It's nice to know that you care Dandy. What would I ever do without your thoughts? My life has so much more meaning since you have entered it.
    what kind of comeback is that? you just copied what i did
    "The challenge is, how can we create a mechanic where it makes your mistakes not matter and turns the game into a clown show? All these solutions are great but they don't take into account what X-Factor is supposed to do, which is turn the game into a joke."- O. Seth Killian
    I was bored.

• t3h mAsTarOth...!t3h mAsTarOth...! KOF XIII...!!! Joined: Posts: 624
    the system wasn't that deep... but my favorite was the sounds... lol... i loved the block/hit effect sounds... that was awesome... and character select screen music was sick too... and and haoh sho ko kens sounded great... so was the fireballs... kyo's dm when he held and released it... clark's grab and dm... oh and pretty much everything heidern did sounded like win... specially when he flew and did that helicopter spin... but my favorite would have to be the introduction "laru vases clalk" lmao...
    SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

KOF XIII - http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php
    i just played a bit on level 1....damn maybe i suck but this game is hard as hell!
    kof94 at level 1 is ok, but 95 is too much for me (i play heidern,clark,ralf mainly).
    also when i play against humans on 2df i dont like the game.. if someone choose iori or kyo there is no match (at least for me), the damage is way too high
    i dont suck on 94 (i use the brasilian team there or the korean or the meixcan) but can't play 95 at all :wtf:
  • TooseriusTooserius DVERITAS Joined: Posts: 755
    KOF 95=Classic in my book
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,419
    The only thing entertaining about KOF 95 gameplay is that all the hits sound like somebody getting slapped in the face with a dick.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
    kof 95 sound effects are awesome and so the italy stage
    The only thing entertaining about KOF 95 gameplay is that all the hits sound like somebody getting slapped in the face with a dick.
    95 has literally the best hit effects ever
  • t3h mAsTarOth...!t3h mAsTarOth...! KOF XIII...!!! Joined: Posts: 624
    i just played a bit on level 1....damn maybe i suck but this game is hard as hell!
    kof94 at level 1 is ok, but 95 is too much for me (i play heidern,clark,ralf mainly).
    also when i play against humans on 2df i dont like the game.. if someone choose iori or kyo there is no match (at least for me), the damage is way too high
    i dont suck on 94 (i use the brasilian team there or the korean or the meixcan) but can't play 95 at all :wtf:

u serious? u play 95 heidern and find it hard to beat cpu? heidern is good in 95... *not as good as in 98 though* sure unsafe as hell if u don't know when to throw out specials... but clark is pretty beast too... don't know much about ralf... didn't touch him before 96... but whenever i would pick him i would just play like clark and sab... damn clark has been a beast in every version besides xii... :(

thinking & talking about 95 got me day dreaming about 95 hit effects... *goes plays 95 in pc*
    SaMsTarOth t3h mAsTarOth of AsTarOth...!

KOF XIII - http://dreamcancel.com/forum/index.php
  • RemxiRemxi Mithan's Robe Joined: Posts: 297
    95 has literally the best hit effects ever

Agreed (apart from the RBFF series). It also has some sweet voice effects too. e.g. Kyo hcb+K.
  • Sifu VSifu V Is Lord_Grimulus Joined: Posts: 189

Word.

That being said, When im playing KOF12 ive got the soundtrack to 95 & 96 playing off my hard drive... Makes a huge difference when you're using Andy, Joe & Terry and Club M (95 Italy Stage) starts playing. Too good.:lovin:
    Classic quotes #3: 'The older i get, the better i was'.
    u serious? u play 95 heidern and find it hard to beat cpu? heidern is good in 95... *not as good as in 98 though* sure unsafe as hell if u don't know when to throw out specials... but clark is pretty beast too... don't know much about ralf... didn't touch him before 96... but whenever i would pick him i would just play like clark and sab... damn clark has been a beast in every version besides xii... :(

thinking & talking about 95 got me day dreaming about 95 hit effects... *goes plays 95 in pc*

yes i'm serious xD
    I love heidern here, his moves are fast as hell and i can charge super fast but.... the last team/char before sayso (i dont remember how to write his name xD) is fucking hard for me. Maybe it's just me, in fact when i play online i lose quite often in 95 (in 94 i'm better) but i can't stand Iori and Kyo.
    I like Ralf and clark the same, the dm of clark is difficult to pull out for me since i need to be near the enemy but sometime i can :D
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,466 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I thought Heidern was one of the best in this game? Then again, with the jacked up damage, I think a lot of characters are contenders.

LOL @ the dick-beating sounds. Incidentally, I chanced upon this YT account with a ton of KOF '95 vids last night:
    http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=Taikoubou1984&view=videos
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • Tetsuo YagamiTetsuo Yagami Arrancar Joined: Posts: 19
    I love how fast-paced '95 is, That, combined with the fact that I'm efficient with many of the characters in it, makes it one of my favorite games in the series, next to '96.
    <<you cannot leave the magic>>
    Arrancar #632, Tetsuo Yagami -- Servin' it up with Xtra Mayo!
  • PillarOfHeavenPillarOfHeaven Shoshin Joined: Posts: 278
    KOF95 was built on the Samsho 2 philosophy...maybe a little bit too much combo friendly for its damage system but clutch comebacks in 95 is always legendary.
    well 95 have strong cast, there was no weak character, but the way character play is quite similar, almost everyone have projectile.

Hell Normal mode will piss you off. Just tried about an hour ago. Great game but it pisses me off sometimes.
    Fight Fo' Dah Future.
    you know i used to (back in 95/96) blast through this game on hardest dificulty ocv all teams. i tried to do that shit some time ago on kb on emu. i got killed at like the 3rd or 4th team. w..t...f.....? i hate the damage the cpu does at lvl 8, especially the later teams and the bosses. i really didnt have much trouble with it back when the game got released and i was playing the shit daily for hours a day. rugal can kill you in 1 combo, no max needed iirc on lvl 8.
    I like the difficulty of old snk games

the ones that come out these days are way too easy even on lv 8
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice young old guy Joined: Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Korea Stage music was epic as hell in 95. I used to play it so much on PSX.

Best stage music in any fighting game ever!
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
    I like the difficulty of old snk games

the ones that come out these days are way too easy even on lv 8
    that's true :( (except the bosses)
    Korea Stage music was epic as hell in 95. I used to play it so much on PSX.

Best stage music in any fighting game ever!

stages in kof 94/95 were very different with the intros, the music and the dark atmosphere like those from korea and mexico stages.

snk what happened
    yeah wtf ever happened to that great ass music we had back in the days? the FF games, kof games, lb games, ss games, sfa&3 games, the vampire games. all these games had some great ass music in them. wtf is up with games like sf4 and kofxii having these dead beat sountracks that i just fucking hate with a passion. listen to mediterian theme of FF in 95 or any good/.great theeme from the past and compare them to the BS we gettin nowadays. the composers need to get shot IMO.

its like music in general and especially rap music nowadays, wtf happened to that shit. not just music but its the same for movies of which 99.8% just suck ass. listen to pacs blasphemy and tell me if you can compare that shit to anything thats coming out now?

edit: jazz > rock BS.
    yeah wtf ever happened to that great ass music we had back in the days? the FF games, kof games, lb games, ss games, sfa&3 games, the vampire games. all these games had some great ass music in them. wtf is up with games like sf4 and kofxii having these dead beat sountracks that i just fucking hate with a passion. listen to mediterian theme of FF in 95 or any good/.great theeme from the past and compare them to the BS we gettin nowadays. the composers need to get shot IMO.

its like music in general and especially rap music nowadays, wtf happened to that shit. not just music but its the same for movies of which 99.8% just suck ass. listen to pacs blasphemy and tell me if you can compare that shit to anything thats coming out now?

edit: jazz > rock BS.

Oh man fatal fury team theme is tight. But my favorite track in the game has to be Ryukko No Ken.

oh second is Desert Reqium and last is Rugals stage.

Fight Fo' Dah Future.
    i just love me some 95. the shit was mad hype back i the days. even when playing it now you can help but feel hyped when the music kicks in and the stage intros start. shits just too epic. ryuuko is fucking awesome, but most shit is on 95 (never was a 94 fan, even in 94. SSII got all play play back in 94 instead of kof).

kof 95 was basically the game that made me give up on SSII and FF3 that was released just before it. when this got out, we played it for at least more than a year straight on, hours a day 2player madness. i still remember buying these new shiny sealed games for my neo cd back in the days, man i had some great fun on that system. and kof95 was one of my most played (ms1, ff3, rbs&2, ffs, ssii, lb1&2, kof95&97&08).

its really a shame ps3 cant properly emulate the ps2 games, or at the very least alllow mame or some sort of other emu on it.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    KOF95: best soundtrack ever plus great gameplay and smoothness. but u do need combos to progress into the stages. my team ( Iori, Eiji and Terry) mean