NEW Hori Fighting Stick VX (360) & V3 (PS3) Thread

AndrwAndrw Joined: Posts: 10
Sucessor to the Hori EX2 and FS3?
MarkMan wrote:
Hori will be unveiling their new "Fighting Stick" series of arcade sticks prior to/at Tokyo Game Show 2009 this year.

They are 6 button arcade sticks and will be available on both the Xbox 360 (VX) and PS3 (V3).

The 360 version will be white and PS3 version will be black.

More details on this one as TGS rolls around.

http://cache.gawker.com/assets/images/kotaku/2009/09/sukima065400-1.jpg

I know I posted a link to a Left 4 Dead 2 thing, but it has pictures of what looks like magazine ads or something. If you look to the right of the L4D2 ad there is another ad for a Hori stick with a 6 button layout. It also doesn't seem to have any wires, but they never show that in ads anyways.

What do you guys think? Could they be rolling these out the same time they roll out with the new sticks that come with the Tekken 6 bundle?

Edit: I got this from Kotaku. Link: http://kotaku.com/5353782/left-4-dead-2-image-edited-for-japan

Comments

• rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,174
    Looks promising. I hope those are 30mm button holes and has the joystick is mounted like a standard japanese arcade panel.
  • AndrwAndrw Joined: Posts: 10
    Looks promising. I hope those are 30mm button holes and has the joystick is mounted like a standard japanese arcade panel.

Yeah, I hope so too. I really wish that this uses a 5-pin and is common ground, but even that may be asking for too much from Hori. At least it looks kinda like a VSHG!
  • NeoPennyNeoPenny Joined: Posts: 419
    nice catch. and they do look a bit like the T6 sticks. Interesting... Hopefully we get more info soon!
  • AndrwAndrw Joined: Posts: 10
    Actually something I just noticed was that I don't see a start and select button on the stick. Do you guys think its off to the side like the Fightsticks from Madcatz? It could just be like those small buttons at the top like the old sticks.
  • NeoPennyNeoPenny Joined: Posts: 419
    what im hoping for is that hori is looking at the market where they are trying to introduce a smaller stick (than the hrap) with quick disconnects, to compete with the SFIV SE from mad catz. I really hope that's the case.

we'll see how this plays out, and i really wish hori would release more details on this.

as far as the buttons, the image is too blurry, they could very well be on top.
  • kikimaru024kikimaru024 Mid-tier scrub Joined: Posts: 1,690
    Oooh, nice catch. Dunno how I missed that first time.

Looks good & simple, too.
    Seimitsu & K-sticks > Sanwa JLF.
    This truth is not universally acknowledged.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,174
    Can anybody read Nihon-go and translate what ever is visible?
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,200
    Well, the first line reads "Fighting Stick". (the smaller one)
    The one with the underline, It's what looks to be "ri su", I can't make out those two kanji though.
    <edit> the reason I say "looks to be" is because half of what I think is a ri is cut off. Theres really not all too much to go off of. :/
  • PrepaidPandazPrepaidPandaz Joined: Posts: 3
    maybe this is why the FS3 is sold out almost everywhere.
    I have a backorder through Amazon.ca and its been almost a month and a half and still no word when it is coming. I wonder if maybe I should just cancel this order and wait and see if this is actually true.
  • benjiedudebenjiedude Joined: Posts: 699
    I'll take two of those...
  • BurningKyoBurningKyo Joined: Posts: 36
    There seems to be an imageless Amazon.jp page up for at least the 360 model:
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%83%9B%E3%83%AA-%E3%83%95%E3%82%A1%E3%82%A4%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B0%E3%82%B9%E3%83%86%E3%82%A3%E3%83%83%E3%82%AFVX/dp/B002L3SXLW
    under the name "????????????VX" or "Fighting Stick VX"
    Interesting to note that the expected release date (October 22nd) seems to be the same as the launch of the MadCatz peripherals in Japan :rofl:

(first post, yay)
    Edit: release date is probably due to Tekken 6 coming out at the end of next month, also, the only readable Japanese in the flyer probably just says ?????? = "series birth"
  • DillyDilly Joined: Posts: 294
    It's the Fighting Stick V3 and the VX.

I'm pretty sure they're wireless, which may be good or bad. I can say one thing that catches my eye is that this is the first time hori has done a 6 button layout on a sony console since the Namco stick AFAIK.

As a matter of fact, it VERY much resembles the design of the classic namco... If they go back to that quality... Well... MadCatz may have awakened the sleeping giant.
  • fokkusuhaundofokkusuhaundo true bubble struggle Joined: Posts: 695
    Considering that it might be wireless and its price of 5,934 yen on Amazon.jp (compared to 6,501 yen for the EX2), I'll hold out on any hope that competing with the SE is what Hori is aiming at with these sticks.
    youはshock!
    PSN: nxsr
  • HisNameIsLHisNameIsL Your best friend Joined: Posts: 518
    I do believe I see a shaft cover. Mayhap these come equipped with JLFs. If they do and they retain the MSRP of $40-50, I'd definitely pick one up.
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,850
    Amazon.jp definitely has the dates for the MadCatz Asian-edition TE sticks up --
    http://www.amazon.co.jp/s/ref=nb_ss?__mk_ja_JP=%83J%83%5E%83J%83i&url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=mad+catz&x=0&y=0

Listings for both HD-console versions although only the XBox 360 stick has a picture.

So far, no reserves available for the Asian MC stick at the major importers yet.

The PS3 version is a bit less expensive.

Gee, I wonder why? (Can we say security chip and license fee for the 360?)
  • Hunter-ZeroHunter-Zero Under the Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 201
    nice catch. and they do look a bit like the T6 sticks. Interesting... Hopefully we get more info soon!

Yeah, looks like the T6 sticks...nice shape, flat and wide, i like that
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    Hori will be unveiling their new "Fighting Stick" series of arcade sticks prior to/at Tokyo Game Show 2009 this year.

They are 6 button arcade sticks and will be available on both the Xbox 360 (VX) and PS3 (V3).

The 360 version will be white and PS3 version will be black.

More details on this one as TGS rolls around.
  • ToshinToshin Joined: Posts: 904 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    sounds a little like a certain stick coming with a game around halloween...
    <s-kill> silence!
    <s-kill> capcom's new policy is no criticizing anything
    <s-kill> ever
    <s-kill> thank you
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    They aren't the T6 sticks.

Look at the headset port location on the 360, it mimics the TE design.

The T6 stick does not have edges like that either.
    It's not, they're different from the T6 sticks for sure.
  • dav3ybdav3yb Quarter Man Joined: Posts: 1,119
    woo... im rather interested in how these sticks are... i wouldnt mind picking up atleast the case of one if they're like the preview of the T6 sticks.
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    I used to prefer 8 button layouts but I've found it difficult to train myself to use the 4 button spread style so I may actually be interested in these.
  • NeoChaosXNeoChaosX loves violin music Joined: Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The only thing that bugs me about the sticks is the button layout on the 360 stick. I have no idea why it continues to be used in Japanese sticks.
    Fear The Fin

Steam/CFN: NeoChaos | PSN: NeoChaosX
    Project Justice: Yurika/Chairperson/Kurow | SFV: Karin | DOA5LR: Helena
    It's a Microsoft spec/standard. Since it is not tied to a game it must use that DOA4 layout.
  • GigazordGigazord Psycho Powered Joined: Posts: 776
    It's not, they're different from the T6 sticks for sure.

Like...quick disconnects different?
    New Episode: The Power of the Supreme Ruler to Destroy a Ruler. Zerochaku! Danzaiver. -Entry of Magician Alty Al-Lazel-
    The body of the case is different, the location for the headset is different, etc.
  • ShinJNShinJN President/COO & Co-Founder of Level Up, LLC, Event & Stream Director/Producer, Old School Tech Talk Joined: Posts: 846 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    The case looks like it uses the edging that many stick makers on here use. Should be easy to mod. The black one looks dope.
    Jimmy Nguyen
    Level Up, LLC - COO, CFO, CTO, Tech/Production/Stream/Event Director - www.levelup-productions.com, www.levelup-series.com
    The Bear: Wiring Gone Wild - http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/2409761/#Comment_2409761
  • drunkninja42drunkninja42 My Little CvS Joined: Posts: 1,697
    It's a Microsoft spec/standard. Since it is not tied to a game it must use that DOA4 layout.

Wait.....so Microsoft makes Hori use that layout? What about the Japanese HRAP EX then?
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,828
    After the Japanese HRAP EX, all Hori Arcade Sticks for Xbox 360 use regular Button Layout seen on American HRAP EX and Fighting Stick EX2 and others.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Japanese HRAP EX uses the new spec too, it was just the initial run that had the 4 button diamond style.
  • NeoChaosXNeoChaosX loves violin music Joined: Posts: 674 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Is it a Microsoft Japan thing, or would this apply to American manufacturers like Mad Catz as well?
    Fear The Fin

Steam/CFN: NeoChaos | PSN: NeoChaosX
    Project Justice: Yurika/Chairperson/Kurow | SFV: Karin | DOA5LR: Helena
    So, considering the price, these would be wired.

Which is a good thing :)
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Here's hoping the buttons are Quick disconnects and roughly around the same price point as the Madcatz SE stick.
  • ulovemikerochulovemikeroch Joined: Posts: 1,802
    Markman, these are the same ones posted over in the HORI TGS thread as well right?
    Freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
  • NotANoob81NotANoob81 Shinkiro Crackhead Eyes Joined: Posts: 907
    Looks like it's more cheaply made than the FS3, but it looks able to house a JLF with no fuss. I'll get one, but not if it's more than $50.
    Rocking a CRT display until something better comes along.
  • zangief4lifezangief4life Joined: Posts: 339
    buttons and sticks are new hori parts.
    lighter feel than previous hori parts.
    now this lighter feel means less durability? like madcats se buttons n stick?
    ぐるぐるザンギ
  • zangief4lifezangief4life Joined: Posts: 339
    moded v3 stick
    http://pld.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/imgboard/img-box/img20091206012246.jpg

top sticker does not need to be removed to swap to sanwa stick, but will require removal for seimitsu stick.
    for seimitsu stick, minor plastick case mod is also required which includes shaving off stick mounting thread and boring out the holes and adding counter sink.
    ぐるぐるザンギ
  • Ragnorok64Ragnorok64 My muscles have no memory. Joined: Posts: 4,947
    moded v3 stick
    http://pld.hp.infoseek.co.jp/cgi-bin/imgboard/img-box/img20091206012246.jpg

top sticker does not need to be removed to swap to sanwa stick, but will require removal for seimitsu stick.
    for seimitsu stick, minor plastick case mod is also required which includes shaving off stick mounting thread and boring out the holes and adding counter sink.

Seimitsu gets no love.

What about an LS-32 mounted with an RE mounting plate?
    so i'm guessing the v3 doesn't come with sanwas parts:sad:, i really want it though cuz it reminds me of the VSHG
  • LBCLBC KISHISHISHISHI Joined: Posts: 3,681
    Is this out yet? I seen this site has them.
    "LBC once parried Daigo super....I SEEN IT!"- JAY "KILLA Z' TANNER

3rd Strike: Makoto/Q/Alex/Urien
    MvC2: MSP
    SFV: Alex / R.Mika

LBC-GFX
  • KAKUKAKU Joined: Posts: 73
    My hori v3 got delivered this morning, just got done playing a few games with it.

I'm seriously impressed. Even straight out of the box, this stick is really nice. (I think I even prefer it over my namco)

It feels solid and has a nice weight to it. Some people mentioned above that it looked cheaply made; it definitely doesn't feel cheap. At a first glance, there appear to be some imperfections in the plastic (slight swirls, colour variance) but it's very minor and doesn't affect the structure at all, it's more a visual thing. I suppose it could be fixed with paint, but it doesn't really bother me that much. I may get another one to mod once it's released domestically.

The buttons have a convex top and slightly more resistance than seimitsus, but are very comfortable to play on. In order of button stiffness: sanwa < seimitsu < new hori
    I was expecting cheap nasty buttons like the stock ones on a saturn virtua stick (you know, the ones that don't press evenly if you press them on one side), but they're really. really nice.
    It feels practically like an OSBF with a stronger spring.

The stick comes with the regular square gate, and has quite a short engage (I think it has a shorter throw than a JLF, but it might be the engage playing tricks on me). I actually prefer it to the JLF, it feels more responsive because you don't have to make huge motions for 41236 or 360s. My best estimate is that it's a clone of the LS-32 or something. It does indeed have a black shaft cover. The microswitches on the stick are soldered individually, but it is a common ground PCB.

I was originally going to mod it straight away, but after being so pleasantly surprised I might hold off on it for a while. The design is nice and understated, and after the 'fisher price' of sticks from madcatz it makes a really great entry-level stick.

The biggest complaint I see from people is that there's no quick disconnects on the buttons. It takes all of two minutes to desolder the board, so I have no idea really why this is such a big issue for some people. The PCB is laid out nicely and the wires are colour-coded, and that's even if you do decide to change the buttons (the stock ones are very good). Better than the SE in every way? Definitely.

To be honest, if hori can produce stock parts like this, the 'real arcade parts' thing is becoming nothing more than a gimmick. Even though the LS-56 is my favourite stick ever, the gap is really closing fast.
    Considering this stick is going to be even cheaper once it hits domestically, I can't recommend it highly enough.
    Very good impressions! Thanks for that. I haven't put in as much time into this stick as I'd like to. I'm going to revisit it thanks to your words.
    Could this be the next "Namco stick"? :)
    <snip>
    I actually tend to disagree with the impressions given of the stick; I actually have a more detailed write up/mod guide (I was probably on something) that I might post later after I get some case comparison pictures done. Generally, my impressions were:

- The design of stick part is very similar to stock Hori joysticks all the way to the Namco, and mostly resembles the HFS3/EX2 stick but seems more precise. It's probably slightly worse than the Namco but seems quite a bit better than the EX2s and HFS3s I've used. You might be able to put a meatier actuator on it or something to kill the annoying 'dead zone' too. While I found it pretty good for basic moves, and was going to keep it, more complex stuff such as say, Viper's HJC FADCs weren't very easy to do on the stick. I had a JLF lying around, so I decided to just replace it.

- The buttons are standard Hori stock from the HRAP3s, perhaps slightly better, but not by much. It required some degree of hammering to get normals out, which I'm not really used to as I primarily use OBSFs. It was one of the first things I wanted to change (and did) because stuff just wasn't coming out as expected.

- The case is quite light, probably about as heavy as a HFS3; which is pretty light considering its size. This is most likely due to the lack of a metal base. I don't have a problem with light sticks, and it does seem pretty solid over all, but considering some have a problem with them I'd just like to point it out. There's plenty of room in the case to put in weights if needed, and it saves some money on shipping though lol.

- I'm not sure what you mean by better than the SE in every way; the SE provides quick disconnects for every button, including the non standard Start/Select, and these are also colour coded. It's very easy to swap out parts with no modding experience in the SE, but for this stick you'd probably need a guide of sorts. Overall I felt the stick felt cheaper than the SE, from the case construction to stock parts. It does seem to be slightly more moddable/customisable in the sense that the case has plenty of room though.

That's not to say I don't like the stick - quite the opposite; I really like the fact that it's a very moddable case due to the height clearance and simple PCB setup. Furthermore, the button holes are the standard 30mm which is great considering the effort needed to mod the HFS3 etc, and surprisingly, the stick's case provides adequate support for other sticks, at least the JLF - which I modded mine with, as they seem to be able to be mounted at the correct mounting height. In all, you can mod this stick VERY cleanly without much effort or experience. Finally, the proportions are great; probably most similar to the VSHG, and the 6 button layout without any plugs on a standard stick is a nice feature to have too imo.

Anyway, that's just my two cents on the V3. I actually highly recommend it to anyone who wants to get their hands a bit dirty with modding, although it actually seems less fussy and more satisfying to mod than say, a HRAP3, which is pretty cool too. It doesn't feel like it's in line with the HFS3, nor does it seem that close to the HRAPs, but seems to be a new direction Hori is taking with it's sticks, which is very encouraging.

(PhotoBucket link: http://s599.photobucket.com/albums/tt79/inthebrook/V3/)
    Is this badger going to see a UK release?
  • hacksparrowhacksparrow Banned Joined: Posts: 331
    wots with the vewlix style? is that wot the V is for? i like the layout of cities better but this case is much sexier and i just bought a friggin hrap se damnit
  • TwinnissTwinniss Joined: Posts: 785
    Is their an estimation on how tall the case is?

cause insides just look like a EX2/hrap3/wii. Stick mounting same as well
    A single Pot buster does 45% damage on Chipp with full life.

wots with the vewlix style? is that wot the V is for? i like the layout of cities better but this case is much sexier and i just bought a friggin hrap se damnit
    Yeah, I personally like the Cities' layout too, but since its 6 buttons you could just think of it as a P2 Astro City or something :P
    Is their an estimation on how tall the case is?
    cause insides just look like a EX2/hrap3/wii. Stick mounting same as well
    The case is about 5cm tall, the insides are more like a licensed HRAP than the fighting sticks because there are separate PCBs for the main pcb and the buttons. In fact, the stick comes up as a Real Arcade Pro stick when you plug it into the computer.

Stick mounting is easier than the older fighting sticks because of the extra height in the case, it's done similarly, but when finished it results in a JLF at the correct mounting height (maybe 1 or 2mm off). There's also pictures on the net of people putting in Seimitsu sticks in as well. Overall, it's a much better stick.
  • The_ThirdThe_Third Poverty Gamer Joined: Posts: 1,004
    So what steps are required for modding the V3 compared to the bitch that was FS3? No hole widening and separate PCB is already a plus. For the stick, similar procedure with FS3 with the depth bonus?