Comparison of HDR Versions (PS3, 360, DC, CPS2)

Comments

• RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    It all depends on what the question you want answered is. If the question is, how much does my setup lag, then testing the setup as a whole is appropriate. That said, I don't see a whole lot of posts of "my setup has x frames of input lag", but rather "the xbox has x frames of input lag". OTOH, most of those test are of the set-up as a whole, and I find myself quite dubious of claims that LCDs are lagless when nobody seems to run tests with better than 1-frame resolution. (To be fair I'm a bit nuts about stuff like that.)

Component performance is, for example, useful when you make buying decisions. Which monitor do I buy? Do I buy an Xbox or a PS3? Do I shell out extra cash for the XRBG-2? This game is lagging... do I upgrade my net connection (might be a good idea), get a better monitor (probably a smaller issue), or do I swap out the PCB in my TE stick (you won't notice)?
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    you are being stubborn. because...
    If you want to have a comprehensive combination of everything you'll also need to get different sticks/pad, etc. You realize how much work that is going to be right?
    No.

What is needed is the exact opposite. a test that determines the lag of 360/PS3 HDR itself, without any other factors contributing to lag. Say it turns out it's 5 frames. With that knowledge you can apply it to any other setup and determine the complete lag from there with a simple stopwatch test to test any monitor. With your tests this is impossible as the results are only valid for your HDR + HDMI + ASUS V236H in game mode setup. Not every runs that setup dude.

basically your test measured input lag, which can be made up of a number of factors.

input lag = inherent lag in the game + Monitor + Cable/port.

You meassured the input lag to be 6 in one of the tests for example, but cannot specify where the lag comes from. hence your test doesnt say anything about either HDR, the monitor, the cable/port.

It's not even that I'm saying CRT is the only acceptable way to play. What I'm saying is that when testing any variable you make sure to eliminate unknown factors that can contribute to that variable. CRT is the way to do that in input lag tests.

Also, are you seriously claiming suprme knowledge of how people are playing their games everywhere in the world? What if I told you UK ran HDR on 360+CRT 2 years straight in their majors? And who says maors are the only thing thatt matter. What if people are hosting sessions in their houses and want to play ST?

You have the means to give a clearcut answer of 360 HDR lags THIS much. PS3 HDR lags THIS much. Yet are refusing to do so.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • mad possummad possum Joined: Posts: 1,091
    Because Papasi has a clear agenda, that's why. He's never going to do anything that might make HDR or HDR classic look viable. To him it's arcade ST (even though they play with Jap sticks and buttons, which isn't how arcade ST was ever played in the US) or nothing, which would mean nothing for most people.
    GGPO name : madpossum
  • papasipapasi N Ken is the truth Joined: Posts: 1,568
    You have the means to give a clearcut answer of 360 HDR lags THIS much. PS3 HDR lags THIS much. Yet are refusing to do so.
    Because Papasi has a clear agenda, that's why. He's never going to do anything that might make HDR or HDR classic look viable.

Did any of you actually read?
    [ Actually I did try to look for my composite cable that comes with my xbox yesterday night. But I might have thrown it away already..., and I don't have the ps3 anymore]

I now regret spending that 30 mins yesterday trying to find that damn composite cable. And no I'm not going to bother asking ultrcombo to borrow his ps3 again.

mad possum how many HDR players do you think would be crazy enough to get a CRT and play HDR in 4:3 SD, if they already have a nice hdmi > LCD setup?

I don't know about the euro scene, and I don't know about the brazil scene either.

Seriously none of us learn anything from these tests I guess.
    eltrouble "I doubt that ST will be on the main stream ever again."
    OhNuki: Real men play ST!!
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
    Super Turbo Hitbox & safe jump guide http://www.strevival.com/hitbox/
  • FulaaniFulaani Of terrorist descent Joined: Posts: 2,555
    mad possum how many HDR players do you think would be crazy enough to get a CRT and play HDR in 4:3 SD, if they already have a nice hdmi > LCD setup?
    I gave my mom my big widescreen HDTV and got a small CRT in return. Because it was lag free.

And indeed, those tests you did provide no answers about HDR itself.
    zoning took an indefinite hiatus
  • DNGR S PAPERCUTDNGR S PAPERCUT Joined: Posts: 1,608
    :(
    :(
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
    Ah shit..    
    I gave my mom my big widescreen HDTV and got a small CRT in return. Because it was lag free.

I ask how many. So you're saying you're the only one you know of? So I take that your answer is one.

Well, number not big enough for me to go to bestbuy to buy a composite cable just for this test or borrow the ps3 again. Sorry.
    James Chen: there is something special about playing ST on a cab. It just feels so goooooood.
  • ShariShari Overestimated. Joined: Posts: 2,623
    Average LCD computer monitor with VGA cable plugged to 360 4tw.
    Haunts: Is it lag or just impeccable footsies and spacing, I don't know.
    MiloDC: I beat YuuVega -- yes, that YuuVega -- the first time I played Claw seriously in my entire life.
  • krknightkrknight Joined: Posts: 1,743
    i played my xbox with a crt instead of my asus 27' for over a year. then i got my lg w2363d.

Amazon.com: LG W2363D-PF 23-Inch Class Widescreen 3D LCD Monitor, Gloss Black: Computer & Accessories

and here is the test.

LG W2363D Review - 3D Vision Blog

if console is still standard, at least the display aspect of lag can be resolved. i can't say how much more the xbox lags compared to ST arcade though so i really didn't help much. just thought i'd show everyone that there are hd lcd's without lag.
  • ultracomboultracombo Weakest Loser Joined: Posts: 741
    Whether or not you think you believe the tests were completely scientific (do LCD monitors lag enough to add 1+ frames of delay?), you have to admit that they have some value because the majority of HDR play is on LCD monitors.

Oh and Papasi if you want to retest on PS3, you'll have to wait at least 3 weeks :( unless of course you have access to someone else's PS3. I don't see why you should bother though, nobody will appreciate it and you'll just be accused of conspiring against HDR.
    "If ultracombo misses a low roundhouse, he is likely to continue doing it." - TheMuffinMan
    David, ask pap why he won't talk to me anymore.
    Ah shit..    
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    Awwww maaaan, I promied Thelo I would stay out of his section but I couldn't resist......
    Have you tried playing PS3/Xbox360 with non-HD CRT TV? The text on the screen are unreadable...

DSC06107.jpg
    DSC06108.jpg
    <garyangel> ceks,cani,robbiers,yito all mexico players dont know where kyouya
    <garyangel> (((((((((((((((
    <djfrijoles> kyouya is with his gf gary
    <Random.Jab.DP.Spamer> his gf is gary ?
    I think most of us would rather play it on CRT TV's. I don't think it would that hard to get a couple of the HDR guys going to a tourney to bring a 360 and a CRT TV (that's what's going on for the tourney in Indy that Silver is running).

A 360 plus CRT TV shouldn't be any worse input wise than a DC for ST (which is what was used for years), and would be a lot more managable to set up.

You guys are just relentless, but considering that you want to actually bring CRT to the tourney that sliver007 runs, and dj just made me laugh with that tiny ass TV that he could only afford, I picked up a cable on my way home to save you the trouble.

xbox -> crt is 6.5 frames (average of 20 cr. rh)

btw classic mode with old sprites does look much better in sd.

I used to play a few games of Forza 3 on a SD TV at a friend's place (2 players verse mode, so sd screen is split in half) and I honestly couldn't read anything on the screen.

David, tell DSP that he's on my ignore list so anything he said on ggpo or here I just couldn't read...

[edit: ganelon : it's just the regular composite xbox360 cable, and a regular tv with composite input. what else you want to know?]
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    OK, so there's no difference from the Asus to a CRT, still 2-3 frames of additional lag compared to CPS2 ST. I actually compared performing links on a CRT and Asus one after another multiple times (to see if an ST setup to an Asus was viable) and couldn't detect any noticeable lag so the monitor performance results are consistent with my experience (and it's what Ponder concluded in the first place after all).

Still, the Asus does have many shortcomings with the relatively lacking picture quality, poor viewing angle, low volume, and sound lag. papasi, for reference, can you detail what visual setup and cables for the 360 were used?
  • djfrijolesdjfrijoles First ST player to ever moon a live stream baby ! Joined: Posts: 2,054
    David, tell DSP that he's on my ignore list so anything he said on ggpo or here I just couldn't read...

oooooooooooooooooooooo

He just posted about your mom dude. daaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyuuuummnnnn you shouold take him off ignore and read it.
  • geogeo Official Contrarian Joined: Posts: 1,291
    Still, the Asus does have many shortcomings with the relatively lacking picture quality, poor viewing angle, low volume, and sound lag.

Just more of the same, you guys just can't stop. Do you still somehow think that through these arguments you're going to stop people playing HDR? At the end of the day: what's your ultimate goal here? You don't play HDR anymore anyway do you?
    Just one example of ST fundamentalism on dontblowthis.com: "HDR is just another game with no relation to the Street Fighter II series" - riz0ne
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    I run Xbox VGA cable to VGA CRT when I care about video quality, but when I record video, I typically do that on a TV. (Some other games change their frame rate depending on what display is plugged into the Xbox.)
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Super Turbo Joined: Posts: 3,125
    DSC06108.jpg

Señor Frijoles wins thread.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    GGPO/Fightcade: x64
    David, can you ask pap if he ignored me cuz I said his tests were retarded? Or if it was cuz I said he was retarded?

In both cases, tell him I was just joshing.
    Ah shit..    
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Just more of the same, you guys just can't stop. Do you still somehow think that through these arguments you're going to stop people playing HDR? At the end of the day: what's your ultimate goal here? You don't play HDR anymore anyway do you?

My bit about the Asus VH236H was admittedly unnecessary but everything mentioned were complaints that have been corroborated by others: unable to properly optimize the picture, difficult to see the picture when sitting on the ground, unable to hear the sound during loud events, and the annoying delay cutting off the first few seconds of sound starting up.

I'm not sure why you'd be upset enough to suggest a connection between my longstanding and open disappointment with the Asus (outside of its great response and low cost) to HDR. Most of HDR at last year's Evo didn't even use the Asus monitor (despite having no warning about such beforehand) and, as has been surprisingly revealed, some European HDR events have used CRTs.

Anyway, my goal with this thread has been to uncover HDR's version differences and place them into perspective. There were a lot of unsubstantiated rumors when I started (and have been perpetuated to this day) and I wanted to see where the truth was. Nobody questioned my intent when I created this topic so why start now? Now, I've played very little HDR in the past few months (and not much ST either for that matter) but feel responsible for making sure this topic is accurate and up-to-date.

I've done my best to ensure that everything is correct and that papasi's tests follow the exact same process as NKI's (like I mentioned, other types of input lag tests could be comparing apples to oranges). That's why I was hoping the visual setup and exact cables would be listed for review, as I did for my tests. If anyone has factual qualms with any of the evidence, feel free to ask away, point out issues, or bring up counter-evidence.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,271
    A new setup guys, here is my CRT tv w/ built in recorder!
    rcaido>djfrijoles setup

DSC_0030.jpg
    A new setup guys, here is my CRT tv w/ built in recorder!
    rcaido>djfrijoles setup

DSC_0030.jpg

aww you dun fuked up challenging meeeee. Ill be back tonight.
    Imagen0515.jpg
    Imagen0514.jpg
    Imagen0513.jpg
    Imagen0512.jpg
    Imagen0511.jpg
    Imagen0510.jpg
    Imagen0509.jpg
    Imagen0508.jpg

lol Im gonna get banned one day and everyone is gonna point and laugh like if I had a little dick lol.
    Well played sir

God damn, ill be back...Imma steal a setup...
  • CigarBoBCigarBoB Joined: Posts: 895
    beans posting

Ummm You sure have a nice house there. How did you get so many cardboard boxes to make it?
    Ummm You sure have a nice house there. How did you get so many cardboard boxes to make it?

Only box I call home is your assholes hit box when I rape you in ST lol. Big ol sisy la la lol. waaahhhhh frijoles your picking on me wahhhh frijoles stop hitting me waahhhhhh FRIJOLES YOU'RE T O B I G Y O U ' R E R I P P I N G M E AAAAUUUUUWWW !!!!

lol I heard you talk in your sleep cigarfrog. talkin bout.........let go of my ears I KNOW WHAT IM DOING DAMIT lol.
  • Elton ChongElton Chong AKA Herbert Wong Joined: Posts: 346

Hey Robert. U sold ur sf2 cab to make ends meet, now piss off shithead.

What is even more sad than a 400lb cigar eating streetfighter playing virgin? A 400lb cigar eating virgin that has retired and still posts on srk.

Newsflash. Noone cares that u quit, u achieved 2 thirds of nothing in your whole sf2 career, u gave ur youth to this game and still ur were just an also ran. U could never be a Wong or a Valle. Hell u couldn't even be a sirlin.
    Only box I call home is your assholes hit box when I rape you in ST lol. Big ol sisy la la lol. waaahhhhh frijoles your picking on me wahhhh frijoles stop hitting me waahhhhhh FRIJOLES YOU'RE T O B I G Y O U ' R E R I P P I N G M E AAAAUUUUUWWW !!!!

lol I heard you talk in your sleep cigarfrog. talkin bout.........let go of my ears I KNOW WHAT IM DOING DAMIT lol.

Dude you going to make it to Evo this year?

so you can call immigration on me.....................no. lol. If I do decide to sneak over one day Im staying at your house and eating all your food.
    so you can call immigration on me.....................no. lol. If I do decide to sneak over one day Im staying at your house and eating all your food.

Umm yea come straight to my house. You will be safe here I promise.
    Ok i got the prettiest setup now! i jacked it from some girlscout chick, ill be looking her up when she's at least 15 years old but for now, ill let her be...

DSC_0041.jpg

Got a built in Ariel volume
    DSC_0044.jpg
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    Blah Blah Blah[/IMG]

Ariel is top tier son.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
    Ok i got the prettiest setup now! i jacked it from some girlscout chick, ill be looking her up when she's at least 15 years old but for now, ill let her be...

Finally a fitting display for HDR. Well done sir
    Finally a fitting display for HDR. Well done sir

Shut the fuck up you ginger red headed fat bastard, Rocky Rose will whop your ass in those cornfield again boy! If i were you i would stay retired you fat piece of shit!

cornfield.jpg
    Shut the fuck up you ginger red headed fat bastard, Rocky Rose will whop your ass in those cornfield again boy! If i were you i would stay retired you fat piece of shit!

Hey your the one that put HDR in its place finally. Dont blame me for pointing it out. Maybe next time you should use a My Little Pony or Rainbow Bright TV. Oh yea Rainbow Bright would be awesome. Cuz then it can have the *** tag of a rainbow on it as well.

You are my hero.
  • TheloThelo Holdin' down-back Joined: Posts: 1,144 mod
    I should be moderating posts left and right here, but damnit, I'm too busy laughing my ass off at these setups. :looney:
    Keeping your cool is always the winning move.

They don't have a stage for world of Warcraft I'm afraid Robert. No evo for you.

Also U don't play Sf so why post?

I just bought a £2500 CRT tv. Loads of people use CRT
  • Sweet PoisonSweet Poison Knowledge is power. Joined: Posts: 981
    What about plasma tv's? I use plasma and I dont notice any lag compared to a LCD tv.
    My hunger's never satisfied. Knowledge is what fuels me.
    LCD/Plasma - It depends on the tv, my plasma Samsung 50" 3dtv has slight lag...32"LG on my Viewlix cab i dont notice any when using VGA...

Princess Ariel CRT = no lag
  • Sweet PoisonSweet Poison Knowledge is power. Joined: Posts: 981
    But isnt the refresh rate typically much, much higher if not always on a plasma instead of a lcd? I purposely purchased my panasonic (say that 3 times) because lcd's seem laggy at times when it comes to gaming.
    My hunger's never satisfied. Knowledge is what fuels me.
  • JigglyNorrisJigglyNorris The Low Tier Hero Joined: Posts: 1,279
    Frijoles won the thread by wiring his shit to that phone. That's on the same lines as that one dude who made a cardboard cabinet.
  • GrogGrog discombobulatingly Joined: Posts: 3,617
    Frijoles won the thread by wiring his shit to that phone. That's on the same lines as that one dude who made a cardboard cabinet.

I remember a couple years back I saw a thread for the most ghetto sticks and one was made out of a plastic tupperware container, one out of a shoe, and some other ones too. Shit was too funny :rofl:
    no one cares syxx

www.dontblowthis.com
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Super Turbo Joined: Posts: 3,125
    But isnt the refresh rate typically much, much higher if not always on a plasma instead of a lcd? I purposely purchased my panasonic (say that 3 times) because lcd's seem laggy at times when it comes to gaming.

They always say 600hz refresh for plasmas but all that is is marketing jargon. It doesn't matter weather the HDTV is 60/120/240/600hz, just turn that retarded fast motion shit off (every manufacturer calls it something different). LCDs that seem laggy usually also have a "Game" mode that turns off the fancy post processing.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    GGPO/Fightcade: x64
  • moocusmoocus internets? Joined: Posts: 869
    whoa, when did this thread turn awesome?

ariel assist is broke as fuck.
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    cps2 s-video encoder->CRT 4.5 frames *

cps2 vga encoder->LCD 7-frames *

xbox classic mode->LCD 6-7 frames *

xbox classic mode->CRT 6-7 frames *

PS3 classic mode->LCD 8 frames

ps2 ae->CRT 6 frames *

ggpo
    w7 aero 8-11 frames (and a lot of dropped inputs) *
    w7 fullscreen 7-9 frames *
    w7 disable aero 7-8-frames *
    xp 6 frames *

supercade
    w7 aero 8-10 frames (and a lot of dropped inputs) *
    w7 fullscreen 7 frames *
    w7 disable aero 7 frames *
    xp 6 frames *

xp offline fba version 029708 6 frames *

xp offline mame version 0141b 6 frames *

xbox SSF4 ryu cr. rh 6 frames *

PS3 SSF4 ryu cr. rh 7-8 frames (most of them at 8 frames) *

fba with sound disabled gets u -1 frame, u can get as low as 5 frames which is almost arcade perfect(cps2 s-video encoder->CRT 4.5 frames *)
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    according this post, sound disabled makes 2 frames less of lag.
    I can save you the trouble, I have completed various tests of my own, using several different emulators and games. Both real-time tests and frame advancement tests.

This has been posted in other threads, but I guess I should repeat it here since the topic resurfaced:

Final Burn Alpha, Mame, Mame++, and Kawaks have additional input delay for CPS2 games with audio enabled. The added input delay is a 2-frame lag.

Final Burn (the original version), and Nebula do not have this additional input delay.

This ONLY applies to CPS2, it does not apply to SNK games. And this only applies with audio on. If audio is disabled then there will be no added emulation-based input lag. The amount of added input delay from FBA/Mame/Kawaks for CPS2 audio is 2 frames.

With Final Burn and Nebula frame advancement tests, it shows that if you input a command the action will begin on the next frame, so it occurs on the 2nd frame. With FBA/Mame/Kawaks frame advancement tests it show that you can input an action and it will not occur for another three frames, so it occurs on the 4th frame.

With my real-time tests I was able to put PC games like MeltyBlood, GuiltyGear, and two of the emulators on the screen at the same time, and control multiple games at the same time. With this setup, I was able to show that actions were normally occurring on the same frame, but FBA/Mame/Kawaks lagged behind by generally 2 frames (though sometimes only 1).

Final note: If you enter the game's input test mode located in the dip switches, you can clearly see exactly what frame the input is being read by the emulator. With Final Burn, when you push a button, the input-test mode displays that input as being read on the same frame (1st frame). But actions do not occur until the next frame in-game (2nd frame). So this test shows that it's not the controller or the emulator that is lagging, it shows that the game recognizes the input instantly (same frame) but the action does not occur until the next frame. With FBA/Mame/Kawaks however, there is still the added input delay.

It appears to be directly related to sound, and only CPS2, so I imagine it's caused by poor Q-Sound emulation.
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • Zero1_Zero1_ Combo fraud Joined: Posts: 642
    That's Ok, I'll just loop Guile's theme on youtube
  • JED07JED07 Sleeping on the floor with the Rats Joined: Posts: 650
    according this post, sound disabled makes 2 frames less of lag.

Maybe so, but getting most people to agree to playing on PC will be like getting them to agree to hold still for a branding. Mostly frame skipping issues, hardware standardization etc.

That aside, I always assumed the biggest reason that HDR classic was not acceptable was that it wasn't in fact arcade perfect aside from the frame delay.

After reading this thread I'm not so sure.

Is it or is it not arcade perfect? Has anybody played it extensively and noticed anything different from ST aside from the frame delay and shitty udon sprites?
    Will puke for ST.
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    Is it or is it not arcade perfect? Has anybody played it extensively and noticed anything different from ST aside from the frame delay and shitty udon sprites?

nope as far as i know, other than the fact that it's slower compared to the DC version, (which you left out), the frame delay, and the shitty udon sprites. (although I admit, I havn't played on HDR classic mode much, since HDR doesn't change the game enough for me to complain stop playing it. )
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.