Comparison of HDR Versions (PS3, 360, DC, CPS2)

124»

Comments

• JED07JED07 Sleeping on the floor with the Rats Joined: Posts: 650
    Wow, and here I thought all this time that there was some game changing difference that made HDR classic mode totally unsuitable.

Sure there's the speed diff and the input delay, but when your playing ST vanilla and you have the stage speed differences who the fuck cares?

Mind you I wouldn't advocate running anything with ST arcade and HDR classic side by side. That just wouldn't work.
    Will puke for ST.
  • Coth_XCoth_X G(x) = (3/(1-3x)) - 3 - 3x - 27x^2 Joined: Posts: 4,340
    Wow, and here I thought all this time that there was some game changing difference that made HDR classic mode totally unsuitable.

Sure there's the speed diff and the input delay, but when your playing ST vanilla and you have the stage speed differences who the fuck cares?

Mind you I wouldn't advocate running anything with ST arcade and HDR classic side by side. That just wouldn't work.

I believe its like 2 to 3 frames of extra input delay though. Its pretty jarring if you play emu/arcade ST for awhile and then play hdr classc..

-trolls suck-
    "The purpose of proof is to understand, not to verify." - Arnold Ross
    http://www.newgrounds.com/portal/view/534416 <--- Coolest Game Ever!
  • milesokeefemilesokeefe Spammy Joined: Posts: 387
    I believe its like 2 to 3 frames of extra input delay though. Its pretty jarring if you play emu/arcade ST for awhile and then play hdr classc..

-trolls suck-

Arcade? Yes.

Emu? I'm not so sure. Looking over this info:

ggpo
    w7 aero 8-11 frames (and a lot of dropped inputs) * (ED - this is what I was playing GGPO on when I tried to get into it. No wonder I was unhappy)
    w7 fullscreen 7-9 frames *
    w7 disable aero 7-8-frames *
    xp 6 frames *

supercade
    w7 aero 8-10 frames (and a lot of dropped inputs) *
    w7 fullscreen 7 frames *
    w7 disable aero 7 frames *
    xp 6 frames *

... it would seem that HDR Classic mode on 360 either has exactly as much add. input delay as GGPO/Supercade on XP, or has +1 frame add delay compared to either.

But then, HDR Classic mode runs at 102% the speed of ST tournament standard - IIRC, turbo 2/3 depending on the region.

Compare this to GGPO's turbo - what, zero? I believe the difference in speed here compared to tournament standard is greater than 2%.

IDK what speed Supercade runs ST at.
  • studtrooperstudtrooper Super Turbo Joined: Posts: 3,081
    Supercade runs at Turbo 2 like it should be. Someone thought it would be brilliant to use Turbo 1 for GGPO's default setting making it run like molasses.
    ST/HDR: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    GGPO/Fightcade: x64
    When I went from ggpo to some classic hdr, I couldn't do basic jump in combos.
    Were you playing the 360 or ps3 version?
    Ps3
    The PS3 has more input delay than the 360 port does. Same thing happened with SF4 Vanilla, but they fixed it for Super.

The difference in delay felt huge to me, like 3-4 frames more than the 360 port, but according to that chart it only has 1-2 frames more delay than 360 HDR.
  • Reno KReno K You're dizzy Joined: Posts: 151

And here I thought it was my crappy USB converter. That would explain a bunch of dropped combos
    PSN - RenoMD
    XBL - RenoMD
    And here I thought it was my crappy USB converter. That would explain a bunch of dropped combos

Really need to disable aero.
    The PS3 has more input delay than the 360 port does. Same thing happened with SF4 Vanilla, but they fixed it for Super.

See now, if we all got together and stood behind HDR instead of crying very hard about it's drawbacks, Capcom might have considered giving us the patch treatment and maybe old backgrounds etc.

Instead we became a hostile fan base that Capcom has apparently abandoned and rightly so.

So now if I want to play sf2 I have two choices, HDR which uses modern consoles that are all over the place, or ST arcade which is only acceptable on DC or arcade board. If I ever run anything in my neck of the woods, guess which version I'm going to use?

Shit I'll buy another copy of HDR to get the above fixes plus speed changed and input delay taken out.

BTW I'm not shitting on you milesokeefe or anyone specifically. Personally, I'm guilty of hopping on the "let's hate HDR and nominate SIRLIN for ST antichrist" train but I recognize that strategically it was a bad idea.

I really want to play ST on a regular basis offline but now I can't. Online is shit and doesn't cut it.
    Will puke for ST.
  • PaskyPasky Ninja with pistol! Joined: Posts: 1,863
    I must be the only guy on GGPO who doesn't get input delay from Aero (Ultracombo also said he noticed no difference) and I do a lot of hard shit like J. HK linked into double flash in both GGPO and HDR and notice no significant differences....*shrug*

I do notice HDR is a bit faster, but that's it, as far as delay it feels the same.

People need better PC's, I don't see how the aero service could cause any kind of input delay with DirectInput.
    <Pasky> so you can go extra fast by just holding it?
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    <baklakiller> sure if had a penis
    <baklakiller> im a beginner gief
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 333
    I must be the only guy on GGPO who doesn't get input delay from Aero (Ultracombo also said he noticed no difference) and I do a lot of hard shit like J. HK linked into double flash in both GGPO and HDR and notice no significant differences....*shrug*

I do notice HDR is a bit faster, but that's it, as far as delay it feels the same.

People need better PC's, I don't see how the aero service could cause any kind of input delay with DirectInput.

Pasky, you don't feel that there's significant input lag with the FBA emulator (and on Win7, no less)? I've always felt that the consoles are preferable to GGPO in terms of input delay, but papasi's empirical results seem to call that into question. I'm on WinXP by the way, with 1ms USB polling rate. Could be my LCD monitor is laggy, for all I know...
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
    No I can notice the difference in input delay between mame and FBA. FBA is a terrible emulator for netplay because it has an inherent 1 frame of input delay even offline. Mame (.145) is hella smooth for me. I don't really feel a difference between FBA and HDR.

I definitely don't buy that Windows XP has 6 frames of delay and Win 7 has 8 frames, sounds like someone has a shitty USB controller or just doesn't know how to test input delay properly, because 8 frames is extremely noticeable.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
    I think it's total delay, not the amount of delay you must add to ST's natural delay of 4 frames.

8 frames total minus 4 frames the source material naturally had would be 4 frames additional delay. But I think it'd still be really noticeable, especially considering how enormous just 1-2 frames of delay differential felt to me playing on PS3 compared to 360.

Now, I've been using a HDMI->VGA adapter to hook my PS3 up to my VGA monitor. I have no idea whether this configuration is any laggier than the VGA cable I use for my 360 or not, but warrant it could be adding a bit of display lag to my PS3 experience above and beyond the 1-2 frame difference.

I was using a HRAP VX SA during my GGPO adventures.
    I meant USB chipset controller...not the actual controller. Guess I should have specified.
    <bookah> turbo handjob
  • Reno KReno K You're dizzy Joined: Posts: 151

Granted, I'm without any empirical evidence so it may just be in my head.

But turning off Aero last night, I noted a marked improvement in my execution. I was not dropping nearly as many combos/inputs.

FYI I am running off of a PC I just built:

i-7 2600k @ 3.4Ghz, quad-core
    16GB memory
    Geforce GTX 560 Ti w/ 2GB VRAM
    Intel 520 series 60GB SSD

I also am not quite sure why this would occur. It doesn't make technical sense to me. If anybody has a procedure for testing, or the specs of the machine the input lag statistics were determined upon, I'd be interested in knowing.

A bit of research brings up a possibly-related issue from SC2: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/2456907383. Of course, this could merely be coincidence.
    PSN - RenoMD
    XBL - RenoMD
    JED07

We did ask for another patch and expressed why it was needed on Unity.

All Sven said was, "there are no more patches planned at this time"

That was like 2 years ago.
    True, I remember something like that back then now that you mention it.

I guess either way Capcom is going to focus on the game that brings in the bigger bag of $$$.

So either way it didn't matter what our smaller community did.

Even if they did patch the game, realistically, that probably wouldn't be enough to help revive the game even if it soldered the HDR and ST communities together.
    Will puke for ST.
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,966
    A little thread necro... my method will give lag times that are, on average, about 1/2 a frame lower than the camera/LED method that, for example, NKI used.

CPS-2 Green Turbo 1,2 and 3: 2-3 frames. Average 2.5 frames. (3 frames NKI equivalent)

Xbox360 Turbo 0, PS360 PCB: 4.2-5.4 frames. Average 4.8 frames (5.3 frames NKI equivalent)
    Xbox360 Turbo 2 PS360 PCB: 3.5-5.8 frames. Average 4.7 frames (5.2 frames NKI equivalent)
    Xbox360 Turbo 4 PS360 PCB: 3.3-5.4 frames. Average 4.5 frames (5 frames NKI equivalent)

PS3 Turbo 0, PS360 PCB: 5.2-6.3 frames. Average 5.7 frames (6.2 frames NKI equivalent)
    PS3 Turbo 3, PS360 PCB: 4.3-6.2 frames. Average 5.3 frames (5.8 frames NKI equivalent)
    PS3 Turbo 4, PS360 PCB: 4.1-6.2 frames. Average 5.3 frames (5.8 frames NKI equivalent)
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    A little thread necro... my method will give lag times that are, on average, about 1/2 a frame lower than the camera/LED method that, for example, NKI used.

CPS-2 Green Turbo 1 and 2: 2-3 frames. Average 2.5 frames. (3 frames NKI equivalent)

Xbox360 Turbo 0, PS360 PCB: 4.2-5.4 frames. Average 4.8 frames (5.3 frames NKI equivalent)
    Xbox360 Turbo 2 PS360 PCB: 3.5-5.8 frames. Average 4.7 frames (5.2 frames NKI equivalent)
    Xbox360 Turbo 4 PS360 PCB: 3.3-5.4 frames. Average 4.5 frames (5 frames NKI equivalent)

PS3 Turbo 0, PS360 PCB: 5.2-6.3 frames. Average 5.7 frames (6.2 frames NKI equivalent)
    PS3 Turbo 3, PS360 PCB: 4.3-6.2 frames. Average 5.3 frames (5.8 frames NKI equivalent)
    PS3 Turbo 4, PS360 PCB: 4.1-6.2 frames. Average 5.3 frames (5.8 frames NKI equivalent)
    did u test GGPO?

Also FBA with sound disabled gives -2 frames of delay, so probably its very close to arcade
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
    did u test GGPO?

Emulators are on the todo list, along with CCC2 and Dreamcast.
    Got some Dreamcast testing in.

All testing with MC Cthulu 2.5.4 1ms firmware.
    Dreamcast Turbo 0: 4-5 frames of lag. 4.5 average - 5 f NKI equivalent
    Dreamcast Turbo 1: 3-5 frames of lag, 4.2 average
    Dreamcast Turbo 2: 3-5 frames of lag, 4.2 average
    Dreamcast Turbo 3: 3-5 frames of lag, 4.1 average.
    Dreamcast Turbo 4: 3-5 frames of lag, 4.1 average.
    Dreamcast Turbo 5: 3-5 frames of lag, 3.9 average.
    Dreamcast Turbo 6: 3-4 frames of lag, 3.5 average.

Also, Dreamcast turbo settings are faster than HDR turbo settings.
  • mad possummad possum Joined: Posts: 1,091
    Got some Dreamcast testing in.

Dreamcast Turbo 0: 4-5 frames of lag. 4.5 average - 5 f NKI equivalent
    Dreamcast Turbo 1: 4-6 frames of lag, 4.2 average
    Dreamcast Turbo 2: 4-6 frames of lag, 4.2 average
    Dreamcast Turbo 3: 4-6 frames of lag, 4.1 average.
    Dreamcast Turbo 4: 4-6 frames of lag, 4.1 average.

Also, Dreamcast turbo settings are faster than HDR turbo settings.

So basically the Dreamcast version, which was the tournament standard for ST for years, has the same amount of input lag as HDR on the 360, yet somehow HDR or HDR Classic mode (by far the easiest way to set up ST at tournaments adding no additional space/equipment requiments) isn't considered a viable option by a select, vocal few. While at the same time 99% of people playing ST/HDR are doing it on either consoles or on laggy emulators (with wack speed settings). It's very clear to me why our favorite game/s are quickly becoming more and more niche. It's the only one where you can't play and practice your game under the same conditions, with the same stick/controller, on the same equipment as you will see at a tourney.
    GGPO name : madpossum
    So basically the Dreamcast version, which was the tournament standard for ST for years, has the same amount of input lag as HDR on the 360, yet somehow HDR or HDR Classic mode ...

The set-up can add significant lag. I expect that using the "Evo Monitor" and a MadCatz SE/TE stick instead of a CRT and a PS360 will add significant lag. FWIW, going from a good supergun to PS3 HDR is pretty jarring.
    Dreamcast Frame Skip (short samples...)
    Appears to be patterns of 32 in-game frames. The numbers are visible consecutive frames between skipped frames.

Turbo 6: 1,1,1,1,1,1,1...
    Turbo 5: 2,2,1 (repeat)
    Turbo 4: 3,3,2,3,2,3,2,3,2 (repeat)
    Turbo 3: 3,3,3,3,3,3,.
    Turbo 2: 4,4,3,4,3,4,3 (repeat)
    Turbo 1:4,4,5 (repeat)
    Turbo 0: No skip

Turbo settings correspond to 0,6,7,8,9,12, and 16 skipped frames per 32 visible frames.
    Turbo 0 - 100% speed
    Turbo 1 - 123% speed - approximately HDR turbo 2.
    Turbo 2 - 128% speed - approximately HDR turbo 4.
    Turbo 3 - 133% speed
    Turbo 4 - 139% speed
    Turbo 5 - 160% speed
    Turbo 6 - 200% speed
  • GanelonGanelon Joined: Posts: 1,101
    Rufus: It's great that you're providing more quantitative results for input lag but is there any reason why the official DC controller or stick wasn't tested instead? I'd feel a lot more confident with results using that that than with the unofficial MC Cthulhu setup.

Anyway, I'm not sure what "approximately" means but HDR speeds aren't equivalent to DC speeds at any level except Turbo 0. My DC-HDR timeline in the first post has the details and were based on side-by-side comparison of the ending time of rounds. Based on that, DC T1 should be closer to HDR T3 speed. Feel free to use the same test and see for yourself.
  • PointBreak91PointBreak91 Custom costumes for SFV please Cap Joined: Posts: 666
    HDR on Dreamcast, you mean the port of ST? I thought at the time that had been documented as a flawed conversion, although nowhere near as bad as the oddball Saturn rev found on the collection with Zero2'?

What about running Anniversary Edition on the old Xbox, choosing purely ST chars? HDR on 360 is something else entirely... just look at the Sagat juggles :wasted:

I would happily pay $25 right now for a pure and simple arcade port of Super Turbo to play (with acceptable network and lobby options) over Xbox Live.
    twitch.tv/nyc_vf
    In terms of game frames/shown frames
    The speeds on the DC are 32/x (32/32, 32/26, 32/25, 32/24, 32/23, 32/20, and 32/16 for turbo 0-6)
    On HDR it's x/32 (32/32, 38/32, 39/32, 40/32, and 41/32 for turbo 0-4)
    These are relative to turbo 0 based on the differemces in frame skip.

I used the mc cthulu because it was easier for wiring than the DC pad.
    Here's a better speed chart:
        Turbo Game Frames Shown Frames Speed

DC  0    32          32          1.00
        1    32          26          1.23
        2    32          25          1.28
        3    32          24          1.33
        4    32          23          1.39
        5    32          20          1.60
        6    32          16          2.00

HDR 0    32          32          1.00
        1    38          32          1.19
        2    39          32          1.22
        3    40          32          1.25
        4    41          32          1.28

Edit: Frameskip tested on Toodles disk ST.
  • JZA80TJZA80T Joined: Posts: 45
    Dangit. I just started playing HDR again but on the PS3 with a usb converter for my 360 Madcatz stick. lol Looks like I could not have picked a worse combination.
    l994SupraTT
  • freeway230freeway230 Minus the bullsh*t, life's great Joined: Posts: 50
    I know I'm late to the party, but I just wanted to chime in. Since there have been previous posts on this forum about which version is used in tourneys, I have a gripe about this whole 25th Anniversary tourney that's going on. Why is it that Capcom tells everyone that HD REMIX is an official tourney game, yet they play it on classic mode. That doesn't make sense. You might was well run it on ST cabinets or whatever has been done in the past. Instead the tourney is run under HD Remix, but the old character sprites are used and you have to play classic. Doesn't that defeat the whole purpose of playing HD Remix in a tourney in the first place? I also wish they would have made this tourney more available to other areas in the country (US). Not everyone lives in major cities. Just seems like it would be a good idea to give everyone a fair shot vs having to drive x amount of miles to play.
    See now, if we all got together and stood behind HDR instead of crying very hard about it's drawbacks, Capcom might have considered giving us the patch treatment and maybe old backgrounds etc.

Instead we became a hostile fan base that Capcom has apparently abandoned and rightly so.

So now if I want to play sf2 I have two choices, HDR which uses modern consoles that are all over the place, or ST arcade which is only acceptable on DC or arcade board. If I ever run anything in my neck of the woods, guess which version I'm going to use?

Shit I'll buy another copy of HDR to get the above fixes plus speed changed and input delay taken out.

BTW I'm not shitting on you milesokeefe or anyone specifically. Personally, I'm guilty of hopping on the "let's hate HDR and nominate SIRLIN for ST antichrist" train but I recognize that strategically it was a bad idea.

I really want to play ST on a regular basis offline but now I can't. Online is shit and doesn't cut it.

I totally agree on this. I'm a big fan of both ST and HDR, but I must say HDR is way easier to setup and play. People who are advocates of GGPO, Supercade, etc.... must realize that these programs are not the easiest to run. I've tried numerous times to run GGPO, but I takes too much time and effort for it to run properly. I always have lag issues, rooms wont load, I cant accept challenges, etc. So what do I do? Answer: say to heck with it and turn on HDR and get 20 games in. I just wish more ST players would return to HDR. There IS a classic mode on there for a reason. It may not be mirror perfect, but is it really enough to scare away players? Just sayin.......
    King of dis Ryu sh*t @freeway230
  • -TheBastard--TheBastard- FAB u LOSE! Joined: Posts: 1,276
    If u cant set up GGPO properly u dont deserve playing it
    <blitzfu> cool, and bastard is a loser, screen shot that
    <Pasky> he's always trolling, he has a macro button that troll
    <Kyouya>LoL Bastard, best post evah! But you forgot the tiger uppercut!!
    Imagine a snail being able to play fgs, and being a noob in it, it would sure be a salty snail, oh the tragedy of a snail!
  • philcitophilcito The Berserker Shoto Joined: Posts: 1,178
    Freeway i told you, stop using DHCP, change your ip address to static, that's your problem with GGPO, always was, always will be!
    "You hit coins at the same time as punch, just like philcito does". Bookah
    " I don't snore and I shower daily". Rekkaken

The Crew - www.nohonorcrew.com/
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 439
    Dreamcast ST is so awesome that I find little reason to buy the actual cps2.
    What capcom did with this gem, they did it awesome and with added dipswitches.
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 333
    edited May 2013
    I just tried ShmupMAME and the difference coming from Final Burn Alpha used on GGPO is like night and day. There's basically no input delay with ShmupMAME, compared to horrible input lag (which we've known about for years) with FBA. The thing with ShmupMAME is it's been designed to remove as much input delay as possible, focusing especially on shmups, but they've also apparently made fixes to CPS2 drivers which allow games like ST to run very smoothly and feel extremely responsive.

I know moving to some version of MAME for GGPO is not happening ever, but it's pretty disheartening when you switch between ShmupMAME and GGPO-FBA and feel the huge difference. I'm not sure if the latest versions of FBA have incorporated any input delay fixes for CPS2/ST, but I doubt it. We might be stuck using this outdated emulator forever.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
  • MaxGritMaxGrit Master Baiter Joined: Posts: 291
    philcito wrote: »
    Freeway i told you, stop using DHCP, change your ip address to static, that's your problem with GGPO, always was, always will be!

Works perfectly for me using wired gigabit with a TPlink tl-wdr4300 router. DHCP is on. Setup for ports was super easy. My IP never changes on DHCP.

Usually people having connection problems are the ones with bad routers.
    SSF4T on GGPO is very fun.
124»