-- Weightlifting & Nutrition Thread -- v9.0 Optimized

Comments

• True_TechTrue_Tech dragon the body Joined: Posts: 2,739 mod
    with exercises like that you're already preexhausting your biceps if you want to do the chin ups you can face your hands forward and it won't work your biceps as much if at all but they're aloooooooooot harder pull ups are easier cause you have your biceps to assist you

also remember incline and decline is alot harder then reg benchpress i found this out the hard way a few weeks back in my room and i had to slide under the bar cause it got to heavy after the 5th rep
  • MagnusMadnessMagnusMadness Senior Citizen Joined: Posts: 1,282
    True_Tech wrote:
    with exercises like that you're already preexhausting your biceps if you want to do the chin ups you can face your hands forward and it won't work your biceps as much if at all but they're aloooooooooot harder pull ups are easier cause you have your biceps to assist you

also remember incline and decline is alot harder then reg benchpress i found this out the hard way a few weeks back in my room and i had to slide under the bar cause it got to heavy after the 5th rep

as for pull ups I ALWAYS face my hands forward and have them about shoulder width apart maybe a little farther apart...pull ups are supposed to be for ur lats don't put it all on ur biceps...they'll be smoked by the time ur done anyway.

As for incline yes it's a pretty good bit harder...but decline should be easier...cuz ur moving the weight less distance and should be able to use more of ur tricep...it probably seems harder cuz u do it last.

Crouching tiger:

Just try a regular 4 day routine as follows: (this is what worked for me, and it's what I liked..but everybody's different)

Day 1 chest and tri's:
    flat bench press
    incline press
    decline press
    dips
    tricep pull downs
    kick backs (on the kick backs, when u extend ur arm turn ur wrist making ur palm face the ceiling)

Day 2: Back and Bi's
    PULL UPS...(hands facing forward)
    wide grip lateral pull downs
    rows
    Bicep curls (try dumbells while laying on an incline bench, this one is the shit)
    concentration curls

Day 3: shoulders and traps
    Military press
    lateral raises
    frontal raises
    Then lay on ur stomach on an incline bench and do reverse flies for ur rear delts
    shrugs ( I started really feeling my traps when I started doing 6 sets)

Day 4: Legs
    Squats
    Leg Extensions
    reverse curls (hams)
    calf raises

There see?? That's not overtraining at all..that's just hitting all the major muscle groups and that's important early on...cuz one day ur gonna plateau and it's gonna be alot harder to move up in weight and shit starts to get frustrating. After a while you'll get comfortable with this routine and u will prolly need to start adding sets and adding exercises to really tax ur muscles. I was fortunate enough to be friends with alot of big motherfuckers at the gym who showed me everything I know and still show me new shit all the time and always offer advice...It's always a good idea to be polite in the gym, offering folks a spot every once in a while if they need it...shits real important to people like me who go to the gym alone. I know everybody at my local gym now..and if I need anything (even the hookup on all kinds of supplements) all I gotta do is ask.
    Have no Way as Way
    Have no Limitation as Limitation
  • CrouchingTigerCrouchingTiger MacBauer who? Joined: Posts: 719
    I do like that routine... I think I will switch to that one after about 2 months on my current one. I've been workin out for about a month and a half, though the first month wasn't "routine" at all. It was pretty much a different exercise every day/week, trying to find ones I liked and ones that felt good. Now that I finally chose something, I'm gonna stick with it for a bit. I like the idea of "phase training" where you alternate between two routines every 8-12 weeks or so, so maybe that will be the routine I switch to.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Long time no see, good to see a new version of this thread. To the people citing Toby/Brad Pitt workouts and results, they used gear to accomplish their changes. At the very least they had someone to monitor their diet and supplementation 24 hours a day, something you will not. Using their routine and expecting similar results is setting yourself up for disappointment. Argue if you want but it is commonplace in hollywood to use test/Clen/etc. for physique changes.

As far as recommended workouts, I'm currently following DC style training, its interesting to say the least. Romie have you tried it, you're the lifter in here who I think has adequate muscular base/experience to give it a whirl. It is the most taxing workout I have ever done though, beating the log book is getting to be tough. I'm now doing 315 for 8 reps on floor deadlifts though, going for ten tomorrow. I'm about 6'1, currently at 200 pounds so thats not a bad lift.
  • RomieRomie Joined: Posts: 204 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Throw me a link to it man. I'm always up for different styles of training.

BTW, in case some of you didn't know, I was gone for a while due to a dislocated shoulder and slight injury to my rotator cuff while playing baseball. I'm at 100% now, although my shoulder makes a clicking sound when I bench.
    Heres a link to the basics.

http://www.chadnicholls.net/forums/showthread.php?t=11851

Not for the weak of heart, nor for those who wanna look like male strippers year round (read- those of you who want to keep a constant 6-pack).

And as an aside I strongly suggest you drop flat bench (bar) from your program, otherwise your asking to reinjure yourself. Bar bench locks your shoulder into a range of motion that puts lots of stress on teh rotator cuff, the supraspinatus most notably. Just my .02 worth.
    I do incline DB presses. I didn't even do flat bench before the injury.

Good heads up though.

I've heard of doggcrapp training before. I'm still a little confused on some stuff. If you can, hit me up on AIM, my sn is y0ureign0rant
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Where is a good website to order whey from?!
    "Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose
    I Just Started Working Out. So I'm Getting Pain In My Chest / Arms, Wich I Know Is Normal, Here's My Question:
    How Do I Mimimalize The Pain, Does Massaging Or A Cream Work, Its Annoying As Hell.
    Stretching and exercising with no weights really help. Like if you were doing chest and your chest is sore, do some pushups.
    Thanx :)
    Where is a good website to order whey from?!

Do a search for nitro-tech...that's a good protein...(you can also get it at GNC, kinda expensive though, around 70 bucks for a 4 pound tub)

You may want to check out sports-performance-news.com...they sell nitro max protein powder..I've tried it at my gym and it's one of the best tasting protein powders around...and if you get the 25 pound tub it's a great value at only 150 bucks. (around 165 after shipping I believe)
    Have no Way as Way
    about stretching, don;t stretch too hard on your chest during your chest workout....it can actually limit the growth of your chest

do very light stretching of your chest before, during and after the workout.....

chest was one of my biggest problems but it's getting better...stronger anyway not so much bigger
  • toastcrumbtoastcrumb Rat Bomber! Joined: Posts: 25
    Try 1000mg of vitamin C in time-release capsules daily for muscle soreness. I used to work with a doctor who was in to weightlifting, he was chock-full of handy tips.
    Do a search for nitro-tech...that's a good protein...(you can also get it at GNC, kinda expensive though, around 70 bucks for a 4 pound tub)

You may want to check out sports-performance-news.com...they sell nitro max protein powder..I've tried it at my gym and it's one of the best tasting protein powders around...and if you get the 25 pound tub it's a great value at only 150 bucks. (around 165 after shipping I believe)

Nitro is frikkin expensive man. Optimum Nutrition is probably the best you can get for your money. I personally use Isopure.
  • AjilAjil clumpete flast fy master Joined: Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    about stretching, don;t stretch too hard on your chest during your chest workout....it can actually limit the growth of your chest

do very light stretching of your chest before, during and after the workout.....

chest was one of my biggest problems but it's getting better...stronger anyway not so much bigger

Absolutely false, there is evidence extreme stretching in and of itself my cause muscle hyperplasia.
    mvc3: ironman, taskmaster, tron
  • Quicksilver3007Quicksilver3007 Joined: Posts: 177
    I have some questions about lifting and nutrition, obviously. Anyways I am about six feet tall and I weigh 155 lbs. Since I have about 10-12% body fat I am just looking to get bulk on my muscles so they can show through. What kind of foods can help me with a 3 day a week lifting routine? I also have protein powder that I make shakes with but when is the best time to use it?
    Ronin - Oh, I used to live on the ground floor too, son. I'd walk the hoes up just to push them down.
    I have some questions about lifting and nutrition, obviously. Anyways I am about six feet tall and I weigh 155 lbs. Since I have about 10-12% body fat I am just looking to get bulk on my muscles so they can show through. What kind of foods can help me with a 3 day a week lifting routine? I also have protein powder that I make shakes with but when is the best time to use it?

read the directions on the protein powder...most tell you the best time to take it...and most say right after you work out, or before, or right as you wake up...I would suggest one right as you wake up...and one after you work out. As far as foods go...I would suggest alot of red meat first and foremost...because aside from having the necessary protein they also have more fats than chicken and fish and a 6 footer who ways 155 needs all the fats and calories they can get.

The name of the game is weight gaining...and to do it you need to work out...and load up on carbs and calories while taking in a gram of protein for every pound you weigh every day. Consistency is crucial.

Romie...nitro is expensive but it's rumored to be one of the best so me and my roommate tried it out...My roommate did nitro and weight gainer (1/2 servings) and put on 7 pounds already (it's only been 2 or 3 weeks.)

And isopure tastes so bad it makes my asshole wanna suck on a lemon.

Anyways romie..check out that website sports-performance-news.com and read the artical on their protein NitroMax. It's an interesting read.
    Have no Way as Way
    heh

Here ya go "guys" - http://queerabs.com
  • AL the greatAL the great jerking off to my av. Joined: Posts: 1,056
    AHVB wrote:
    I Just Started Working Out. So I'm Getting Pain In My Chest / Arms, Wich I Know Is Normal, Here's My Question:
    How Do I Mimimalize The Pain, Does Massaging Or A Cream Work, Its Annoying As Hell.

you cant minimalize the pain when u just start out. what should do is do less work out cuz u just started. and also make sure to rest up until the pain is totally gone before you go again. dont injure urself.
    ST on LIVE all day everyday. come play me.
    clay

Next time ur back in town, I want you to come to ironworks with me and show me this training in person..I'm starting to plateau pretty hardcore and this training sounds like the truth. I think it'd be fun too.
    Have no Way as Way
    No problem I will be home for four weeks for holiday break from around december 14th or so until January 10th. Extra long break for us to balance up the quarter schedule.
    ok guys...I need help putting together a good diet, cuz I think that's the one thing I'm lacking...I'm about to get alot more serious here next week..I was reading that link chaos made to the DC training and I noticed him saying something about taking in 500 grams of protein a day...that's an ungodly amount of protein...is that really necessary?? I've always heard the rule 1 gram for every pound you weigh...
    Have no Way as Way
    I noticed him saying something about taking in 500 grams of protein a day...that's an ungodly amount of protein...is that really necessary?? I've always heard the rule 1 gram for every pound you weigh...

Yeah the general rule is 1 gram for every pound of your weight. I read a article a sometime ago and it said that even 1 gram for every pound was a lil too much but didnt hurt, ill try to look it it up and post a link.
    what kind of diet are you looking or leaning towards?
    DEF wrote:
    Yeah the general rule is 1 gram for every pound of your weight. I read a article a sometime ago and it said that even 1 gram for every pound was a lil too much but didnt hurt, ill try to look it it up and post a link.
    what kind of diet are you looking or leaning towards?

well I'd like to put on some weight...but only lean mass not fat...I'm afraid that I'm not eating enough that's all. Cuz I sleep in for the most part every day ( I wait tables at night) wake up drink a shake...go to the gym...drink a shake...and the shakes leave me pretty satisfied for the most part and then I get ready and go to work.

I've read about people loading up on carbs and calories and am wondering if I should follow suit...
    Have no Way as Way
  • Quicksilver3007Quicksilver3007 Joined: Posts: 177
    Preciate the info Magnus. Yeah I probably can afford to eat a lot more when I want to just because of how damn skinny I am. I'm trying to eat a more balanced diet along with taking in more protein.
    Ronin - Oh, I used to live on the ground floor too, son. I'd walk the hoes up just to push them down.
    My metabolism is unstoppable. I few weeks ago I was eating my usual 2000 or so calories a day and I weighed 130. I upped my calories to 2500 calories a day, and only gained half a pound. I then upped my calories again to 3000 calories a day, and lost a pound heh. Now I'm 129.5.
    You don't eat enough crouching tiger, point blank. I'm 6'1 or so, 200 pounds and I'm currently eating 5-6000 calories a day. I'm gaining weight, but I'm also getting chubby, such is life. I find it much easier to diet down where I want to be than to gain weight, eating the way I currently am is a pain in the ass. Just make sure your getting in as many meals a day as you can, gains will come. Also you may be weighing yourself to often, I would weigh at most once every two weeks, always on teh same scale, always at the same time of day. Your weight can vary drastically throughout the day remember.

Perry, the 500-600 grams of protein DC and some of his elite clients (silverback,Inhuman) take in is because they are elite level lifters. 300-ish pound people. Basically DC suggests around 2 times bodyweight in protein daily, 5-6 meals. The eating is one of the toughest parts of the training system, it just wears on you after a time. Also after about 5 weeks on the program when you get back to the exercises for the third and fourth times the weights start to get daunting. Tomorrow I to smith squat 3 plates for 20 reps, and I know now its gonna be totally balls out. In short the reason he demands such high protein intake is that the system is designed for gaining mass, and it stresses your bodies ability to recover.
  • acesmith5acesmith5 UNSTOPPABLE!!!!111 Joined: Posts: 140
    Thanks for the info guys. Interesting reads.

I'm currently like 6'1 and 220 lbs. So, yeah I'm big enough to scare off my sister's would be boyfriends :rofl: Most people that find out my weight are like "Where are you hiding it?!? O_O " So...whatever.

anyways, lately I've been kinda on this vegetarian kick. Fruits for breakfast, salads for lunch, veggie pizza or whatever for supper, and random glasses of fresh carrot juice through the day. Please note I am NOT A HIPPIE! lol I love meat and have no problems killing animals for food, but it's a good diet for me because I have a medical problem with my Kidney and protien will kill me :(

But anyway, it was interesting because when looking into this way of eating they made the point that meat is not as essential to muscle growth as we thought. They go into the scientifics of it all, but a logicalpoint being that humans and gorrillas have like the exact same digestive/whatever system. Meaning both of our bodies use food in exactly the same way. And the gorrila's #1 favorite food is fruit and if it can't find fruit it'll eat vegetables. No meat whatsoever. However just look at the gorilla, I would kill to be as buff as a gorrilla! :lol: Just not the hair :p

But anyway, was curious if anyone else has tried this stuff. I'll let you guys know (with seski gay pics like
    Herny wanted LoL j/k )if it magically works and I get buff as fuck. :rolleyes:

Keep up the good work :tup:
    It's not whether I win or lose, just so long as I piss you off!

http://www.facebook.com/IamMattSmith
    http://www.twitter.com/IamMattSmith
    random question...

what technique do you guys use to spot someone who is lifting heavy or attempting a max for flat dumbbell bench?

elbow or wrist spotting? feet/knee position? shoutting encouragement? verbal count of what rep they're on? etc.

i'm still trying to find the best/most stable spotting position for me. although i'll turn down a request for a spot if it's an ungodly weight...i'd like to prevent someone from getting pancaked or sent to the ER
    random question...

what technique do you guys use to spot someone who is lifting heavy or attempting a max for flat dumbbell bench?

elbow or wrist spotting? feet/knee position? shoutting encouragement? verbal count of what rep they're on? etc.

i'm still trying to find the best/most stable spotting position for me. although i'll turn down a request for a spot if it's an ungodly weight...i'd like to prevent someone from getting pancaked or sent to the ER

I spot at the elbows...no reason in particular though...

Some people wait for someone to practically drop the weight before they spot them and they just help them finish the rep...that's not what I do...

I give a little help at their weakest point on the rep I see them struggling...after that rep...I don't give a fuck how many they've done they're givin me two more...on the first of those two I again help at the weak point ever so slightly and on the last one I give them as little help as possible to ensure they got a good strong set with a good failure rep.

On a side note...if ur not taking ur sets to failure...ur failing to do ur sets. The only set in my workouts that I don't take them to failure is a warm up set.
    Have no Way as Way
    alright guys...let's talk something serious...anybody ever tried steroids??

I haven't...but I've been reading up on winstrol and it seems like a much safer alternative and from what I've read it doesn't support water retention and when you come off it you don't have to take an antiestrogen to balance out your hormone levels. Basically it doesn't share alot of the side effects of more popular steroids and you keep most of the gains you get after your cycle is over.

Any of you guys ever tried it or know anything about it??
    Have no Way as Way
    Tons. Never tried it, never will. I'm not willing to take the risk of obtaining and using AS. Physically they are quite safe (IMO) if used correctly and reasonably, but I just don't feel like taking the risk. On an aside you should have at least 2 years of hardcore training underneath your belt before you start with AS it represents a huge step in the game. As for aromatization, I would still do a post cycle with nolva to be on the safe side.

As an aside, in no way do I condone the use of steriods by any individual, and all information I post is in the interest of science.
    any tips for a little weight gaining for a 120 lbs guy?

i've read the majority of the posts on this threads... unfortunately i'm an engineering student and have work to do (labs/projects/study) pretty much all day, and have to stay in the labs for pretty long hours every day. eating 6~8 meals a day or visiting the gym every day of the week simply isn't possible for me. however i'm not really looking to be brad pitt or anything, all i want is at least a 20-pound gain to 140 lbs. (that'll at least put me into 'average' for an asian guy)

i was actually only 110 before last year. i spent a few months at the gym (not too often, just twice or so a week) and tried to eat more in general (not calculating fat/carbs/proteins) and after that few months i got to 120. but i stopped doing it for a while, and started it again just 2 months or so, but don't really see any gain so far. any suggestions?

thanks.
    Damn, its like all you guys are trying to get big. I'm already naturally big, I just need to get ripped up more.

The only question I have is this . .I can EASILY do 200+ crunches in one sitting. My abs are nice I guess but I'm always hurting the next day, and since I work out each night before I go to bed it seems like I'm always in some kind of pain the next day. Do I need to lower my reps and keep it down to less than 7 days a week?

It may sound like overkill but I'm used to it.
    p republic wrote:
    Damn, its like all you guys are trying to get big. I'm already naturally big, I just need to get ripped up more.

The only question I have is this . .I can EASILY do 200+ crunches in one sitting. My abs are nice I guess but I'm always hurting the next day, and since I work out each night before I go to bed it seems like I'm always in some kind of pain the next day. Do I need to lower my reps and keep it down to less than 7 days a week?

It may sound like overkill but I'm used to it.

Ripped up = low body fat percentage...

If ur existing muscle mass is not metabolizing the fat necessary to make you look more cut...then you should try dieting. 67% of what you look like is what you eat....

As for working out 7 days a week...I don't know what you do...but I can hit every major muscle group of the body in 4 days of working out 1.5 to 2 hours...if I add a 5th day it's to either hit bi's and tri's together with compound sets or I hit chest again. You have to remember that you're muscles aren't getting any bigger/stronger while you're actually working out...it's the rest in between workouts where you're muscles recover and rebuild where they grow and grow stronger...without adequate rest it's safe to say you won't really see that much in the way of results...or at least not as much...

If I did workout a sixth day that day would be reserved for abs and cardio.

The pain ur describing...is it good pain...like sore from a good workout...or a sharp pain that feels like u pulled/tore something??

And as for the asain guy trying to gain weight but can't find time to eat 6 times a day....just try taking weight gainer...maybe two servings a day...that'll put some meat on ur bones...and whatever you do...don't do any cardio...stick to heavy weights.
    Have no Way as Way
  • goodgravygoodgravy Joined: Posts: 41

I haven't...but I've been reading up on winstrol and it seems like a much safer alternative and from what I've read it doesn't support water retention and when you come off it you don't have to take an antiestrogen to balance out your hormone levels. Basically it doesn't share alot of the side effects of more popular steroids and you keep most of the gains you get after your cycle is over.

Well I've never tried steroids, but i've been taking creatine for the last 2 weeks and that stuff makes pretty strong. my bench went from 225 to 250. so that could be an option.

Post cycle therapy is always needed after ANY steroid cycle. I don't care who told you, but even if the steroid doesn't artomize, there's still a rebounding effect after the cycle with your hormone levels. Your estrogen levels will increase post cycle if you don't take something like Nolva or Clomid. Not doing PCT is where most people fuck themselves up and start growing tits and get severe acne.

IIRC Winstrol will shut down your natural test in 1-2 weeks. And any cycle with Winstrol under 6 weeks isn't worth anything. So proper PCT is a MUST.

*I don't reccomend anyone under 21 doing steroid cycles. Or anyone with less than 2 years training. You must have your diet down to the dot and know what you're doing. *

It's alright to talk about steroids here, but if anyone wants specifics such as what to take when, doseages, etc. PM me, or Chaos if he's willing to answer PM's.

I've personally done a few cycles before. Although I'm only 17, I had a professional trainer by my side, did tons of research months before I did the cycle, and followed instructions to a dot. At the time I had 4 years of training behind me and I was already naturally 200lbs.

I don't reccomend cycles for anyone who's like 150lbs and just wants to add a few lbs of muscle. 150lbs is nothing. You can gain a lot more weight naturally before you even think about steroids.

*This post was for informational purposes only. Any information here is not to be used as any type of guideline for steroid use.
  • qwazyqwazy Christopher U. Joined: Posts: 456
    i've got a question for anyone that can help.

i've been workin' out pretty religiously for the past three years of highschool, starting freshmen year and i'm a junior now. i've got pretty good definition and i'm satisfied with that, but i've always been pretty skinny and now i wanna fill up. i was thinkin' of takin' creatine but everyone made andro (i dont know the full textbook name, sorry) sound more worth it. i know it's a pro-testoserone (sorry i butched the name, lol) a reliable friend of mine told to just take 1-2 tablets before working out + protein shake and then protein shake after workout. it worked for him so i was pretty convinced but i need to know from you guys if there's anything significant i should know

right now my weight, maxes and workouts go like this;

weight - 145lbs

last maxes
    bench - 190lbs
    dead - 280lbs
    squat - 290lbs

workout (set x reps)
    since i'm in a class i have to do the workouts i'm assigned;

bench - 4x4-6
    dead - 4x3-5
    squat - 4x6-10

those are my core lifts and after i do those, i'll do aux.

hammer curls (5-6x10-15) at about 35lbs
    concentration curls (5-6x10) at about 25lbs
    pull downs (5x10) at about 125lbs
    and a couple forearm lifts.

that's mostly what my workouts consist of.

ok, back to the topic; should i take andro? are there major side effects? better alternatives?

thanks.
    I like you.
    I don't know about using steroid stuff, but you could try not doing isolation exercises. Doing nothing but compound exercises will help you gain mass quickest. Like a 5x5 routine, high intensity.
  • AjilAjil clumpete flast fy master Joined: Posts: 255 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Andro is absolutely worthless for a high schoool junior, and anyone who tells you differently is greatly misinformed. Your endogenous testosterone levels are off the charts already. There is no need for prohormones as your body isn't going to convert much anyway with natural levels so high. And in addition to that andro is a very weak prohormone. Creatine is vastly superior to someone in your shoes, trust me. Let them take andro, you will be better serviced by taking creatine and eating properly.
    mvc3: ironman, taskmaster, tron
    qwazy wrote:
    i've got a question for anyone that can help.

i've been workin' out pretty religiously for the past three years of highschool, starting freshmen year and i'm a junior now. i've got pretty good definition and i'm satisfied with that, but i've always been pretty skinny and now i wanna fill up. i was thinkin' of takin' creatine but everyone made andro (i dont know the full textbook name, sorry) sound more worth it. i know it's a pro-testoserone (sorry i butched the name, lol) a reliable friend of mine told to just take 1-2 tablets before working out + protein shake and then protein shake after workout. it worked for him so i was pretty convinced but i need to know from you guys if there's anything significant i should know

right now my weight, maxes and workouts go like this;

weight - 145lbs

last maxes
    bench - 190lbs
    dead - 280lbs
    squat - 290lbs

workout (set x reps)
    since i'm in a class i have to do the workouts i'm assigned;

bench - 4x4-6
    dead - 4x3-5
    squat - 4x6-10

those are my core lifts and after i do those, i'll do aux.

hammer curls (5-6x10-15) at about 35lbs
    concentration curls (5-6x10) at about 25lbs
    pull downs (5x10) at about 125lbs
    and a couple forearm lifts.

that's mostly what my workouts consist of.

ok, back to the topic; should i take andro? are there major side effects? better alternatives?

thanks.

At 145lbs you're still way too small to be even thinking about taking andro (which is a waste of money anyway). So get that idea out of your head right now. Stick to protien and creatine.

And andro,just like steroids, WILL SHUT DOWN YOUR NATURAL TESTOSTERONE. And just be aware, most andro's on the market artamize heavily. Meaning they convert to estrogen. So andro's are shit, don't use them.
    In all honesty I'm a fat fuck (not obese, just chubby at the paunch/glutes) at 5'11", 220 pounds, and I am also a pussy when it comes to weightlifting and stuff. I can only do about 5-10 pushups before I become tired. I have a medium-semibig body build (fairly wide shoulders naturally) I am so goddamn out of shape >_<

Should I get my ass on cardio and try to lose some weight first then work on increasing my strength? Or should I try to convert my fat mass to pure muscle and focus more on strength training over Cardio?
    Crazymojo wrote:
    In all honesty I'm a fat fuck (not obese, just chubby at the paunch/glutes) at 5'11", 220 pounds, and I am also a pussy when it comes to weightlifting and stuff. I can only do about 5-10 pushups before I become tired. I have a medium-semibig body build (fairly wide shoulders naturally) I am so goddamn out of shape >_<

Should I get my ass on cardio and try to lose some weight first then work on increasing my strength? Or should I try to convert my fat mass to pure muscle and focus more on strength training over Cardio?

You can't turn fat into muscle. You can either lose fat or gain muscle. It's almost impossible to put on muscle and lose a lot of fat at the same time.

I'd put on some muscle if I were you. Since its winter you won't be wearing tight clothes and such, so you won't have much to show off. And then come early spring, start dieting and cutting up in case you want to go to the beach in the summer, so at least you know you would have put on some muscle so you would look bigger when you cut.
    Romie wrote:
    You can't turn fat into muscle. You can either lose fat or gain muscle. It's almost impossible to put on muscle and lose a lot of fat at the same time.

I'd put on some muscle if I were you. Since its winter you won't be wearing tight clothes and such, so you won't have much to show off. And then come early spring, start dieting and cutting up in case you want to go to the beach in the summer, so at least you know you would have put on some muscle so you would look bigger when you cut.

ACTUALLY...me and my roommate both slim down when we lift weights. For one...lifting in the morning is supposed to make u burn more calories during the day...and I've always been told by trainers that ur metabolic tissue is muscle.

I've lost over 20 pounds since I started lifting 6 months ago...I'm trying to gain some of it back in the way of muscle mass now though...getting a lot more strict on my diet. And by that I mean making sure I take in a solid amount of protein on a daily basis.

And about not being able to turn fat to muscle...in a way body fat helps...because the metabolism of a person with no body fat will be working against them alot more than a person with body fat...burning muscle mass in the place of fat...
    Have no Way as Way
    Ahh I see.

And no, the "pain" wasnt anything major, but today I took a break anyhow. I sorta ate a little careless today as well but I'll pay for it tomorrow with some serious cardio.
  • trunkszero157trunkszero157 Catastrophic Inc Joined: Posts: 42
    what exercises could I do to broaden out my shoulders, and whats the best way to gain 70-80 pounds
    Still
    what exercises could I do to broaden out my shoulders, and whats the best way to gain 70-80 pounds

Eat like a madman. I also highly recommend creatine, that stuff makes you gain muscle like crazy, my bench went from 225 to 250 in a month so i'm very satisfied. thats one route i'd take if i were in your shoes.

side note: try adding a protein bar to ur daily meals. :tup:
    Also a question to the weightliftin pro's, how effective is it to take creatine with grape juice vs water? i mixed my creatine with grapejuice for the first 5 loadin days, then i just used water after that, some people tell me the juice has insulin that helps it absorb better.

comments?
    ACTUALLY...me and my roommate both slim down when we lift weights. For one...lifting in the morning is supposed to make u burn more calories during the day...and I've always been told by trainers that ur metabolic tissue is muscle.

I've lost over 20 pounds since I started lifting 6 months ago...I'm trying to gain some of it back in the way of muscle mass now though...getting a lot more strict on my diet. And by that I mean making sure I take in a solid amount of protein on a daily basis.

And about not being able to turn fat to muscle...in a way body fat helps...because the metabolism of a person with no body fat will be working against them alot more than a person with body fat...burning muscle mass in the place of fat...

No, I mean literally, fat can't turn into muscle. There are fat cells, and muscle cells. They can only get larger or smaller, they don't turn into one another. Losing fat would tend ot make people look more muscular, because more of their muscles are showing, making most people believe that they turn fat into muscle.

And about burning muscle. Everyone will burn muscle no matter how big or small they are if their diet isn't proper. Like training or doing cardio in the morning before eating. That's very bad because your cortisol levels will rise and your body will start to break down muscle, don't get me wrong, you'll also burn fat, but you'll also be losing more muscle than you should. That's why bodybuilders eat 5 or 6 tiems a day, so cortisol levels won't peak because they're never hungry, and it speeds up their metabolism because their body is constantly processing foods.

goodgravy:

Grape juice is good to go, if you can handle all that sugar. Just don't use anything citrus based, as it can diminish the effects of creatine.

trunkszero157:

For shoulder width, I'd suggest side lateral raises and military presses. Don't expect to widen them more than a few inches in a few years.

And to gain 70 or 80 lbs of muscle usually takes a couple years. Most people that workout would gain about 20-30lbs a year of muscle depending on their experience.

If you wanna gain something other than muscle, then by all means, eat anything you'd like.