-- Weightlifting & Nutrition Thread -- v9.0 Optimized

Comments

• orkaorka alpha Joined: Posts: 7,174
    Volkan wrote: »
    Damn! 500 pounds at 189 pounds. That's amazing. I can only dead lift 250 pounds once at 144 pounds.

Edit: I just tried 255 pounds on my dead lift and it was pretty easy. I think I can do 5 more pounds.

Edit: I just measured the weight of bar and it was five pounds less than I thought. So, yeah, I only lifted 250 pounds.

Other maximum lifts:

1. Shoulder press: 110 pounds one rep.
    2. Barbell curl: 95 pounds one rep.
    3. Pull ups: 12 reps.
    4. Dumb bell bench press: Two 50 pounds dumb bells 17 reps.
    5. One legged squats with two 25 pound dumb bells 2 reps.

It's not much, really. My current goal is to pull triple body weight in competition (I compete in 181 lbs weight class) within the next year. Would be great if I can get it at the state championship but I won't be upset if I don't.

• dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 21,014
    edited February 2015
    Glucosamine and fishoil have rebuilt mt cartilage

Knees feel awesome

I hate seeing bad form and guys lifting shitty

The best/funnest lift for me now

Clean and press with 80 lbs dumb bells

Kettle bell turkish get ups

The persian clubs are the hardest thing ever
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,721 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I slipped on some ice and fucked up my wrist in like the last week of December and haven't really been able to push it on the OHP since. Finally felt 100% today, so I started up a new round of Wender's 5/3/1, felt great. Decided to really go hard on today.

Also, after 1.5 week of this high fat, low carb diet, my biggest problem is getting enough calories. To maintain my weight, I need like 3200 calories...getting that without carbs is hard as fuck, or at least it is for me.
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
  • beezibopbeezibop Sougenmu--> ??? --> Profit Joined: Posts: 458
    Bacon?
  • maxxmaxx DIO THE DESTROYER Joined: Posts: 36,632 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    need opinions

so i weigh about 140-145 atm.

bench 205, dead 225 dunno squat cause i have tested that in a long time. thoughts? good for my weight?
    FREE Stuart "StuMiz" Hayden

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    http://mondaynitecoloring.tumblr.com/
  • AlexTheKingAlexTheKing Joined: Posts: 1,141
    205 for how many reps? If it's your 1 rep max then it's probably average. Generally, lean individuals are stronger lbs for lbs, so if you're 140lbs and lean you should bench more than that.

My all time best was 275x8 at a bodyweight of 165lbs, but like I said, lean people are always stronger pound for pound.
    edited February 2015
    205 for how many reps? If it's your 1 rep max then it's probably average. Generally, lean individuals are stronger lbs for lbs, so if you're 140lbs and lean you should bench more than that.

My all time best was 275x8 at a bodyweight of 165lbs, but like I said, lean people are always stronger pound for pound.

well my routine on tue was
    175 2 sets of 8
    185 2 sets of 5 and one set of 8
    then i did 2 sets of 3 and then 1 set of 4 for 205

did the same for mon except only 2 sets of 205 for 3

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
  • crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,572
    edited February 2015
    edit: nevermind my dumbass maths... but yea still think your doing good maxx :tup:
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,704
    whats up with low carbs? Whats so bad about carbs?
    “I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • AlexTheKingAlexTheKing Joined: Posts: 1,141

Nothing, japanese people eat high carbs and they're the leanest people on the planet, their obesity rate is at 1%. I eat a pound of carbs everyday and i'm 11% body fat.

Calories are the major factor, Americans are fat because they eat too many calories, not because of a specific macronutrient. That's why japanese people are lean even though they eat a ton of rice, because the portions are small.

• crucadescrucades Its a Kinda Bullshit Joined: Posts: 11,572
    huh, I thought sushi places just ripped me off, ill be damned.
    "I was fighting from the day I was born!"

-Michael 'The Count' Bisping, Greatest MW Champion of all time
  • jebopjebop Joined: Posts: 6,890
    I hate my core.

I should also really slow down, not 100% recovered from injury and lifting heavy like I'm Superman.
    Making man children cry on this forum is way too easy.
    Unless you're

super-saiyans-without-broly-and-gogeta-dragon-ball-z-2005141-640-1051.jpg

With that bullshit injury recover boost.

Well today I think I'll be doing legs so my hand shouldn't be used too much. Only for deadlifts, but I'll go at a comfortable weight rather than my usual.
    edited February 2015
    Used a power plate for my core, for the first time a few days ago, was doing my back routine I posted a few pages back. I always thought they were useless outside of massaging. First 10 seconds made me feel sick as a motherfuck. Didn't feel much different to not using it tbh... Then again, a personal trainer there said the one we have sucks so maybe it's just a big, expensive, useless machine.
  • PsychobluePsychoblue the Conductor of the Hype Train Joined: Posts: 2,800
    So the past couple of weeks I thought it'd be a good idea to just skip lunch entirely and just have a huge breakfast and a moderate dinner every evening. I just brought two bottles of water, a couple of fruit snacks, and an apple to keep my metabolism up throughout the day. Unfortunately, doing so seems to have increased my girth and not in a good way. So what I'm going to do now is go back to grilled chicken for breakfast in the morning (before I was having breaded chicken pieces along with a big plate of lettuce), and return to my boxed lunches. That should tide me over for the rest of the day, I think.

Real shame my location stopped carrying those grilled fajita chicken strips. Those were godlike.
  • beezibopbeezibop Sougenmu--> ??? --> Profit Joined: Posts: 458
    New favorite accessory exercise: reverse hypers.

My strength's coming back. I've been doing day 2 and day 3 sheiko workouts back to back with no downside. Was able to consolidate my 85% 3x2 squat worksets into 1x6.
  • StockyJamStockyJam My nigga Networkingyuppy Joined: Posts: 5,745
    opinions on Leucine?
    BCAAs supplements in general?

anybody have any experience with BCAA supplements before?
    effects?
    side effects?
  • orkaorka alpha Joined: Posts: 7,174
    opinions on Leucine?

effects?
    side effects?

You are not going to get any side effects from taking BCAA supps. I use them during training (I just fill up a jug every time).

Leucine is a key amino acid that stimulates protein synthesis. Part of the reason why vegetarian and vegan diet is not ideal for anybody participating in athletic activities is the fact that it's difficult to ingest sufficient amount of leucine without eating meat.
    wooo. hit 2 sets of 205 for 4 and then 1 for 5. gainnns.

kobrakawaii.com/
    art blog:
    As I type this a girl's shorts on the treadmill is falling down and I can see dat ass. How can you not notice? In before its on purpose.
    orka wrote: »
    opinions on Leucine?

effects?
    side effects?

You are not going to get any side effects from taking BCAA supps. I use them during training (I just fill up a jug every time).

Leucine is a key amino acid that stimulates protein synthesis. Part of the reason why vegetarian and vegan diet is not ideal for anybody participating in athletic activities is the fact that it's difficult to ingest sufficient amount of leucine without eating meat.

well I can get all that info from the wiki already.
    let me be more detailed in my questioning.

how do your muscles feel after using BCAA?
    do you feel less burnt out? less acidic build up in your muscles? faster recovery?
    also,
    how does your brain feel?
    is BCAA stimulatory? yunno, like glutamine? or does it just fuel muscle like lysine while leaving influence on brain chemistry?

uh, as you guys know....I started using 50mg of potassium iodide to replace my thyroid hormone meds.
    and things were great at first but I noticed 2 or 3 weeks later that...now with the extra "gas petal to the metal" the iodide was giving me,...I was also now feeling tired in muscles faster than before.
    more alertness and greater desire to move around and get shit done also meant burning body fuel faster...and me with a digestive system that didn't absorb nutrients well enough...yup. I was running on fumes.
    momentarily had to stop the iodide and switch back to thyroid hormone meds.
    keep in mind my mind was still very bright and sharp...but my muscles in particular starving for fuel.
    particularly protein.

cuz I get more than enough vitamins.
    I get more than enough in trace minerals and elements.
    but the amino acids/proteins....eh, not so much. all I have are the neurotransmitter amino acids. the ones that affect brain chemistry but nothing here to feed and fuel the muscles.

was thinking about getting those gnc protein leucine/casein/ jars.
    but then I realized that all those are is milk/eggs in powder form.
    still gonna get a jar, just not right now.

also, word of advice.
    never take glutamine, an excitatory neurotransmitter amino acid along with iodide.
    lol, I went like 3 straight days without sleep.
    I think I slept....6 hours outta 72 hours.
    my body was soooooooo tired!. my eyes were...red, puffy as hell, sleepy as fuck eyeswise.
    but my mind...my mind was too busy solving the riddles of the universe.
    my brain refused to shut down for sleep.
    it was pretty crazy

• ElderGODElderGOD GOD Joined: Posts: 9,800
    Lets talk about food and tiers, but from a health perspective.

What's the top five fruits? Top five meat? Top five vegetables? Etc.
  • ZeroZero Ruler of Dimension X Joined: Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    dab00g wrote: »

Knees feel awesome

Glucoamine works?

From all I've read, it's a placebo.
    "Dont call it a comeback / I've been here for years"

Steam ID: drzerogi

Aura Crusher:
    www.geocities.com/xybaz (this site is dead, BTW)
    I KNOW THE CAMU CAMU FRUIT HAS 30X THE VITAMIN C AN ORANGE HAS.
    helps my adrenal-Addison's disease a ton.
  • dodgers2213dodgers2213 Joined: Posts: 3,028
    ElderGOD wrote: »

I don't believe in tiers with vegetables and fruits. Eat plenty and eat a variety, all have different levels of beneficial nutrients. Don't limit intake to a small few

As for meat though, low mercury level fish is easily no.1. Only because our diets are high in omega 6's that we need high omega 3 sources to counterbalance
    Steam- Dodgers2213
    PS4-- Dodgers2213
    Zero wrote: »
    dab00g wrote: »

Knees feel awesome

Glucoamine works?

From all I've read, it's a placebo.

Eh it has worked for me and i have worked my knees hard thanks to stupid running
    edited February 2015
    Just got on the scale for the first time after starting this keto diet, even after taking the weekend off, dropped about 3 kg. Not sure if it's muscle or not, but just started another 5/3/1 cycle, so we'll see.
    ElderGOD wrote: »

Pork over everything!
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,722 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Nothing, japanese people eat high carbs and they're the leanest people on the planet, their obesity rate is at 1%. I eat a pound of carbs everyday and i'm 11% body fat.

Calories are the major factor, Americans are fat because they eat too many calories, not because of a specific macronutrient. That's why japanese people are lean even though they eat a ton of rice, because the portions are small.

Genetics is also a major component in how certain ethnic groups process certain foods. Asians by in large eat a lot of carbs, even when considering portion size. If I ate as much rice as my Chinese friends I'd be a blimp. Their bodies definitely metabolize carbs differently. The same way most of us wouldn't be able to handle the almost exclusively meat-based diets of the Inuit, who, despite having far lower cases of health problems, have a body/fat ratio that would be considered overweight by Western standards. They've adapted over generations to handle a certain diet.

Conversely, the Western diet wreaks havoc on most Asians, particularly the Japanese and Indians, who suffer from dramatically worse cases of heart disease (e.g., Indians who consume red meat or mutton are 20 times more likely to die of heart disease than other racial groups), inflammation and high cholesterol than their Western counterparts.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
    edited February 2015
    Asians eat high carb diets, but their diets are also super low in protein and fat. In America, most people have high carb AND high fat diets. You can have high fat or you can have carbs, you can't have both.

Diabetes and obesity are skyrocketing in Japan and Korea as their diets are becoming more Westernized, btw.
    Post edited by thurst on
    Found top tier chicken fillets and chicken breast today. I know where I'm spending all my money. Breaded, Piri, Garlic Sauce.

ohhh_l_argent_des_abonnes__kreygasm_by_lordrepusv-d84dml8.jpg

in case yall wanna learn how shit happens at the chemical level.
  • Buster CannonBuster Cannon Cool head, heated heart Joined: Posts: 3,446
    OnZZwg6.jpg

Man, I'm hitting all kinds of early plateaus with these upper-body exercises (bench and overhead press). Squats, Deads, and Rows are moving up at a steady pace, but I feel like I'm hitting a brick wall with the other 2. :(
    PSN: AquaTeamV3
    SFV Fighter ID: BusterCannon
    FightCade: AquaTeamV3
    My YouTube Channel
    The Digger's Database (My Megaman Legends site)
  • Negative-Zer0Negative-Zer0 Joined: Posts: 9,704
    Quick question. Well a couple of questions.

Is Organic really better then conventional? I am talking all produce.

Does removing Red Meat from your diet really benefit you more so than it doesn't?

“I was trying to take the easy way out by running away from everything. No matter the pain, I will keep living. So when I die, I'll feel I did the best I could.” - Koala
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 5,156 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Gonna try and get a MRI, went from having a possible strained rotator cuff from last july to believing it might be a SLAP tear...
    My left wrist is fucked

So fucking mad