-- Weightlifting & Nutrition Thread -- v9.0 Optimized

1268269270271272274»

Comments

• white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited July 3
    But blood work is science and you are flat out ignoring science. Making up some idea that he and his clients all ate too much protein and kicked themselves out of keto. aka your strawman. A body builder and a personal trainer of over 25 years experience. This isn't some weekend gym goer like most of us, he takes it a lot more seriously than us. You literally changed the argument because you can't argue with the science of his blood work.

No, I'm not ignoring the blood work:

4fdf3988ef41c75855851b089b245d92ec1d16d1.jpg

Phinney, Stephen D., MD, PhD. The Art and Science of Low-Carbohydrate Performance

Note: The release of ketones actually goes up post workout, not decrease.

I'm rationally looking at the results and making a determination based on genuine research by actual professionals within this particular field. Something I exhaustively did before starting the ketogenic diet years ago.

Dr. Phinney's clinical experience includes inpatient and outpatient clinical nutrition, directing multidisciplinary weight management programs in three locations, and he has designed, completed, and published data from more than 20 clinical protocols involving diets, exercise, oxidative stress, and inflammation. His extensive experience in the design of clinical nutrition trials in both academic and industrial settings has led to more than 87 peer-reviewed papers and book chapters on clinical nutrition and biochemistry.

Dr. Phinney holds a Doctorate in nutritional biochemistry and metabolism from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, received his medical degree from Stanford University, and completed post-doctoral research at Harvard University.

I think I'm going to go out on a limb and say I trust Dr. Phinney's and his colleagues' decades of peer-reviewed research data, over one personal trainer's anecdote and blood work showing no direct evidence of correlation.

Your body uses what it needs. You have over 2200 grams of fat in each pound of fat within your body. If you body needs 500 grams of fat it will break down 500 grams of fats. It won't keep on breaking down fats that you body doesn't need because you aren't active enough. If you only needed 100 grams of fats then that's what it'll break down.

We're in agreement on one thing. A healthy body does use what it needs, but it isn't a lawn mower that we turn on and off, it's constantly in a state of flux due to the release of hormones- which is why we have a basal metabolic rate in the first place. It's also why blood and urine tests are a commonly used indicators by medical professionals to know what's going on in our bodies. Our circulatory system is the medium by which nutrients and waste products are constantly being transported throughout our bodies, unless, they aren't present. No disrespect, but I honestly don't think I can state this any more plainly.

You have been flat out saying that it doesn't matter how many ketones are in your bloodstream under the caveat of a working metabolic system. I'm calling BS on that.

Please quote me where I said that.
    Post edited by white shadow on
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!
  • ZeroZero Ruler of Dimension X Joined: Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    dab00g wrote: »
    Zero wrote: »
    OK, so my town opened a gym this month and I no longer have to work out at home. It's small, it's only has one squat rack and one bench, no dumbells, and machines too light to be of any use, it's expensive, and only open 3 hours a day (on weekdays), but it's a gym dammit.

I'm back!

You in japan right? I would look into bjj gyms

If you find a good bjj place you will meet other foreigners into fitness

Gyms in japan are basically tiny studios

Whack as hell

Yeah, it is exactly as you describe: a tiny studio. However, I live in not only a pretty rural area, but a place still recovering from the tsunami. I did check if there is a bjj gym in the area, and there isn't. This gym is the only one in town...until the new one opens at the end of the year.

With home workouts to fill the gap, I've been able to make due with this gym for the time being.
    "Dont call it a comeback / I've been here for years"

Steam ID: drzerogi

Aura Crusher:
    www.geocities.com/xybaz (this site is dead, BTW)
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,065
    Where are you? Some rural places have ymca like establishments. But you make do with what you can get.

I stayed in rural areas close to fukuoka, and the only gym was in the "hotel" i stayed at.

In the province in the philippines 3 years ago, i worked out just using calisthenics and it was okay.

Calisthenics and making do is how you get ahead

Gotch bible and some free weights, will keep you good.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,805
    edited July 4
    ketosis is pretty difficult to maintain imo, especially considering the human body seems to prefer carbohydrates as a fuel source.

i used to do the paleo thing and i felt like shit. seems like a total fad diet. i know thats not the only diet that pushes the ketosis thing but it seems to be the big one.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Staying in ketosis is easy. The hardest thing about a keto diet in general is eating enough food which as far as diets go is a good problem to have.

Typical keto problem: Oh no, I still need another 300-500 calories! I guess I have to *force* myself to munch on this almond and bacon bits mix :sad: lol
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
  • Citrus_monkeyCitrus_monkey Joined: Posts: 1,897
    Fuck ketosis, I don't care anymore. I stopped counting calories and I'm just eating whatever the fuck I want whenever the fuck I want, and I've been adding 5 pounds to my 5 RPM each week consistently and seeing the results. Yea sure, the cutting phase may be longer but I already reached my main long term goal and I'm slowly catching up in overhead, bench and squats. My legs are finally starting to look swole and I've been noticing some good shoulder development.

This is fucking great.
    Fuck ketosis, I don't care anymore. I stopped counting calories and I'm just eating whatever the fuck I want whenever the fuck I want, and I've been adding 5 pounds to my 5 RPM each week consistently and seeing the results. Yea sure, the cutting phase may be longer but I already reached my main long term goal and I'm slowly catching up in overhead, bench and squats. My legs are finally starting to look swole and I've been noticing some good shoulder development.

This is fucking great.

I also absolutely LOVE the way people look at me when I deadlift 400 lbs now. It's a mix of surprise and confusion. My arms are naturally small and I'm not tall nor have *that look*; it really doesn't look like I'm capable of pulling that weight on DL. But I am.
  • thurstthurst What's my age again? Joined: Posts: 11,511 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    How tall/heavy are you?
    #teamSkinnyBitches #teamHATE #teamKELLS #OGteamMILEY
    First off I don't know how editing my post resulted in a double post quoting myself. Hmmm.

5'7, 185 lbs, at around 19-20% BF.
    Where are you? Some rural places have ymca like establishments. But you make do with what you can get.

I stayed in rural areas close to fukuoka, and the only gym was in the "hotel" i stayed at.

In the province in the philippines 3 years ago, i worked out just using calisthenics and it was okay.

Calisthenics and making do is how you get ahead

Gotch bible and some free weights, will keep you good.

I'm in Rikuzentakata, which is in north Japan: almost the exact opposite of where Fukuoka is. I'm making due with the gym they have. They got dumbells a few months ago, so it's not as bad. And like you suggested before, I have Gotch bible.

It's pretty much the same as when I had a home gym years ago, just with less weights for the dumbells.

Aura Crusher:
  • dab00gdab00g Joined: Posts: 20,065
    I would suggest try rucking

I usually have a heavy ass backpack, so
    I would suggest try rucking

I usually have a heavy ass backpack, so

Good idea. I have a weighted vest back in the states. If I can, I'll trying to bring it with me the next time I go back to America. In the meantime, hiking is popular here, since we have a lot of mountains here...but bear attacks are on the rise in Iwate, so I may pass on that.

Aura Crusher:
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh god jason blaha made a video about me on his youtube... Or my response.. I dont think he got what i was trying to say though...
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 4,640
    HNIC Mike wrote: »
    Nice first few posts. Some stuff i didnt think of in there with regard to pyramid training and finding the weight you should be using.

My first time visiting here.

For a little background i was serious into lifting in my early 20s but as i settled into my adult life i stopped training after 2 consistent years and basically just let myself go.

A few months back i had a blood sugar scare that jarred me into taking health more seriously. Nearly blacked out, blah blah blah, long story. I was up to 310 lbs. Im 5'10 so that was way too heavy. Knees and back were really starting to give me trouble due to the physical nature of my job.

So i decided to get healthy. Back in the gym. Complete dietary overhaul. Weights. Cardio.

Its been 11 weeks and I've lost a total of 59lbs. I had a temporary goal weight of 230 so I still got 21 to go. At that point I'll decide if I'm happy with my body comp and either maintain or go lower.

Damn 59lbs in just 11 weeks? You must be going hard in the gym 5-6 days a week. Good for you man. You saw your health was at risk due to your weight. And you got off your ass and did something about it. Like hearing stories like yours.
  • HNIC MikeHNIC Mike Joined: Posts: 10,131
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    HNIC Mike wrote: »
    Nice first few posts. Some stuff i didnt think of in there with regard to pyramid training and finding the weight you should be using.

My first time visiting here.

For a little background i was serious into lifting in my early 20s but as i settled into my adult life i stopped training after 2 consistent years and basically just let myself go.

A few months back i had a blood sugar scare that jarred me into taking health more seriously. Nearly blacked out, blah blah blah, long story. I was up to 310 lbs. Im 5'10 so that was way too heavy. Knees and back were really starting to give me trouble due to the physical nature of my job.

So i decided to get healthy. Back in the gym. Complete dietary overhaul. Weights. Cardio.

Its been 11 weeks and I've lost a total of 59lbs. I had a temporary goal weight of 230 so I still got 21 to go. At that point I'll decide if I'm happy with my body comp and either maintain or go lower.

Damn 59lbs in just 11 weeks? You must be going hard in the gym 5-6 days a week. Good for you man. You saw your health was at risk due to your weight. And you got off your ass and did something about it. Like hearing stories like yours.

Yeah. As long as my legs allow im in there 6-7 days a week.40 minutes of cardio 3 or 4 days, then I lift 3 days. On those three lift days i get 20 minutes of cardio. One cheat meal per week.

Might be changing the routine tho. 2 weeks ago after the 4th i pushed too hard on the treadmill and gave myself runners knee. Which is basically tendonitis or strain from over use in the tendons above the knee cap. Makes it too painful to run until it heals 100% which could take a month on the short end.

So ive only been on lift days recently. This week my legs feel better so im going to walk and see what that does. Elliptical and bike also hurt at any meaningful resistance.

If the weight loss stalls out I'll just add more lift days and focus on changing my body composition. The weight should still come down during the process but it'll be much slower.
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,805
    edited July 18
    its nearly impossible to lose that much weight in pure fat so quickly.

You're doing great but just a little reality to keep you going as hard as possible, most people who start training lose water weight first. Water weighs a lot. keep up the good work, stay motivated.

. running is hard unless you're reasonably light or at your bodies preferred weight.

Cardio is really good for weight loss to a point (it eventually loses its value for pure weight loss and becomes better for body maintenance), weight training has an added benefit of taking a while to repair so you can burn calories repairing your muscles while laying around. so lift heavy til failure.

This is going to sound silly but make sure your hormones are straight. A lot of heavy guys have more estrogen than thinner or muscular guys (estrogen promotes body fat). lots of plastics disrupt your hormonal balance, I suspect dairy does as well as there has been many studies linking animal products to endocrine disruption via mammalian estrogen. There are ways around this, I'd have to imagine eating leaner meat is one of them(if you insist on eating meat, don't buy into the soy bro-science most studies indicate that phyto-estrogens act as an estrogen blocker in males). I have nothing but terrible shit to say about dairy though.

Get yourself some brown rice and lentils and make that a staple meal. You'll feel full and get tons of protein.

get into deadlifting (make sure your form is 100% right or you'll get hurt) and squats are good for promoting testosterone. broccoli is a good testosterone food too.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • white shadowwhite shadow WHAT'S MY NAME NYUKAH?!!! Joined: Posts: 13,402 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Oh god jason blaha made a video about me on his youtube... Or my response.. I dont think he got what i was trying to say though...

Link? The dude definitely has issues but will occasionally make a cogent argument from time to time. I found his videos attacking Mike Rashid's natty claims hilarious.
    It could be Esther Baxter vs. Pat Morita in drag and half of this board would be like "black chicks don't really turn me on sooo..." - Randomnigga

" Is Wayne Brady gonna have to choke a bitch?!!!"- Wayne Brady from Chappelle's Show. LOL!!!

Link? The dude definitely has issues but will occasionally make a cogent argument from time to time. I found his videos attacking Mike Rashid's natty claims hilarious.

it was one of his recent videos on cardio. I tried to comment on one of his videos basically the hypocritical nature of him saying that him doing 3 hours of cardio everyday on top of everything else he does is healthy, because there are lots of professional endurance athletes who are completely healthy with no problems. So I tried to say dude, for someone who is on on TRT, how have you never seen studies showing that chronic endurance athletes have health problems like lower T etc. Also how can you say every professional athlete is on drugs and that anything they do doesn't matter one min, because they can just annihilate everything with drugs. But professional athletes who do endurance training and take drugs its not the same.

I just found that to be hypocritical of him. Normally I think he is fine and i listen to him pretty frequently. But I think its one of those situations, he needs to lose weight, so he is using a convenient excuse now. Its like dude its cool you are losing weight, but the reason you have do 3 hours of cardio a day right now on top of everything else you are doing is BECAUSE you are too big. Most normal people dont have 3 hours a day to work out, let alone 3 hours of cardio, and THEN your work out after that. And even if that was all he is saying its like dude then you are gonna say now that professional athletes doing drugs are healthy because it fits your argument? Just seemed messed up to me but whatever.

Then he tried to call me lazy I think in the video which I don't think he has any idea what i look like or what I do so I was pretty disappointed in him for that lol.
  • NickRocksNickRocks SATSUI NO SABU Joined: Posts: 22,561
    jason blaha still makes videos???
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys
  • Disciple of RyuDisciple of Ryu The King of Iron Fist Joined: Posts: 729 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Jason Blaha just reads from websites and makes it seem like he knows what he is talking about. That guy has been called out for lying and making stuff up numerous times. I dunno if you missed all of the "exposed" stuff but you shouldn't take anything he says seriously.

ha I dont have a problem with him generally, but like I said I was disappointed he made a video showing my post and totally took what i was saying wrong, and tried to imply I was saying something I didn't.
  • Rhio2kRhio2k Senior Member Joined: Posts: 11,417 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Little heads-up: Vitamin Shoppe is has reduced the price of their 50-serving containers of Optimal Nutrition Whey Protein powder to 29.99 until the 30th, after which they will no longer carry said size.
    Roger: Well, Anita's pregnant, and-
    Cruella: Well, what can I say? Accidents will happen.
    Roger: We're having puppies, too.
    Cruella: *Gasp* Puppies!? *Leer* My, you have been a busy boy!
    its nearly impossible to lose that much weight in pure fat so quickly.

You're doing great but just a little reality to keep you going as hard as possible, most people who start training lose water weight first. Water weighs a lot. keep up the good work, stay motivated.

. running is hard unless you're reasonably light or at your bodies preferred weight.

Cardio is really good for weight loss to a point (it eventually loses its value for pure weight loss and becomes better for body maintenance), weight training has an added benefit of taking a while to repair so you can burn calories repairing your muscles while laying around. so lift heavy til failure.

This is going to sound silly but make sure your hormones are straight. A lot of heavy guys have more estrogen than thinner or muscular guys (estrogen promotes body fat). lots of plastics disrupt your hormonal balance, I suspect dairy does as well as there has been many studies linking animal products to endocrine disruption via mammalian estrogen. There are ways around this, I'd have to imagine eating leaner meat is one of them(if you insist on eating meat, don't buy into the soy bro-science most studies indicate that phyto-estrogens act as an estrogen blocker in males). I have nothing but terrible shit to say about dairy though.

Get yourself some brown rice and lentils and make that a staple meal. You'll feel full and get tons of protein.

get into deadlifting (make sure your form is 100% right or you'll get hurt) and squats are good for promoting testosterone. broccoli is a good testosterone food too.

Yea im losing muscle too. I can tell my body comp is different from when i was this weight before. Its just not enough to make me not chase lower numbers. In fact my muscles are starting to show again in my upper chest, delts, and traps.

Staying off deadlifts for now tho. I twisted my back up pretty bad when i used to lift heavy. Wasn't during my lift but at work. Anyway my back goes out super easy now. I heard that doing more ab and core exercises could help there so maybe I'll try that.
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,625
    Back issues are the worst. I messed mine up like 10+ years ago squatting wrong and it's never been the same since. I have a partially bulging disc from it. For the first few years it was really bothersome, and then I'd be okay after like 3-4 weeks and try to do an exercise again, and completely throw it out again. This kept up for a few years and then I randomly found a good inversion table on craigslist (one of the $500 Teeter ones for $100) and holy shit it was life changing.

Like literally. Within a week, after using it 2x a day for 5 minutes each time, my back felt better than it had in like 5 years.

Now a days I am deadlifting and squatting fairly heavy, and my back will still ache somewhat with that same pain sometimes, but I know my limits. When I squat heavier it's definitely more noticeable but I think it's just due to the compression the weight puts on your spine. But I don't really squat heavy anymore since I've changed my routine up completely to do sets of 12 now. My deadlifts aren't nearly as heavy either due to that.

But overall since I've gone to doing sets of 12 overall my body feels a lot less achy in general than it did when I would do sets of 4-8, sometimes sets of 2, just doing heavy lifts. I'm at the point where I am kind of feeling what is the point of being huge now? I'm married, have a kid, and I'm not chasing tail. I can still stay fit and be in shape and not feel all achy with heavy lifts. I've dropped from 215lbs to around 200lbs and I've been lingering around there for some time and I really like how I feel. Sure my XL shirts aren't as snug anymore, but it is funny how to me I feel noticeably "skinnier" but everyone else thinks I look bigger since I'm leaner. I do miss the rush of being able to lift heavier weight, but doing more reps is a different kind of rush, and I still have a good amount of strength.

But back on topic, if you have back issues that are related to disc/spin/compression, I'd strongly recommend trying an inversion table.
    How many exercises per muscle group you guys doing?

Right now im going 8 reps 4 sets and 4 exercises for big groups. Smaller groups im going 2-3 exercises.

Im wondering if i should try to get more exercises and moving my small groupings to another day.
  • NickRocksNickRocks SATSUI NO SABU Joined: Posts: 22,561
    12 sets, 3 movements for small muscles like arms shoulders etc

legs chest back its 15-20 sets, 4 movements
    King of the Post-09ers
    Last of the Prembers, R.I.P. my nibbas
    Maximilian is a racist thief
    https://clips.twitch.tv/maximilian_dood/DifferentBeeHeyGuys