Yatagarasu Donjon Game

Comments

• WA BanditWA Bandit Joined: Posts: 20
    edited July 2015
    dobiqwolf wrote: »

Yes, frame data would open up huge doors. If anything, I could easily pick apart the frame data and make it easier to understand via Google doc or otherwise.

XBL - WA Bandit
  • dobiqwolfdobiqwolf Joined: Posts: 73 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    WA Bandit wrote: »

Yes, frame data would open up huge doors. If anything, I could easily pick apart the frame data and make it easier to understand via Google doc or otherwise.
    I have edited my post with the correct link
  • WA BanditWA Bandit Joined: Posts: 20
    I have edited my post with the correct link

You rock, thank you!

XBL - WA Bandit
  • freijafreija A I R Joined: Posts: 150
    edited July 2015
    Just wanted to comment and say I really like this game, and for people who get turned off by playing it for 5-10 minutes, give it more of a shot. This game has really dense footsies and every match feels different. You really can play the characters any way you want, offensively or defensively, especially due to how easy but risky parrying is in this game you really have to be careful. You can eat 50% life from getting BL countered once.

I'm gonna take a shot at a tier list just for the sake of people who want to know what characters they are interested in and how they stack up. From my observations (from watching and playing since the beta)

High: Azure, Hina, Aja
    High-Mid: Chada, Kou/Crow, Juzu
    Mid: Jet, Shimo, Kotaro
    Low: Hanzo

High tiers should be pretty obvious. This game does, to some extent, really favor safe play, but to do well you have to play footsies. This tier list is kind of based on who has good footsies. Azure c.HP,214K, Hina cbfLK and st.HP (and a UOH that is +6 on block!!??!?!!?!?), Aja 214P and like, everything.

• BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    edited July 2015
    Anyone have an issues with certain sticks with this game? I downloaded the demo the other day and when trying to use my round one TE, up was stuck registering on right from the get go. Not having any problems with this on other steam games, checked d-pad vs analog on the stick, tried other USB ports. I'll check again soon,might just be a fluke.
    Post edited by BurnYourEgo on
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • HyenaboyHyenaboy Joined: Posts: 77
    Yeah, there's been a lot of stick issues too. I'm, hoping for an update soon that fixes a lot of the shit that actually should have been fixed on day one, instead of the UI that everyone was complaining about. If they have to, they should hire someone to dot their 'i's and cross their 't's for them because it hurts to see such a good game suffer from so many bugs that keep people legitly interested from playing.
  • FerrellJFerrellJ Joined: Posts: 29
    Anyone have an issues with certain sticks with this game? I downloaded the demo the other day and when trying to use my round one TE, up was stuck registering on right from the get go. Not having any problems with this on other steam games, checked d-pad vs analog on the stick, tried other USB ports. I'll check again soon,might just be a fluke.
    I know there are some issues with a few sticks but I don't think I've heard of that particular one yet. Maybe take a look through the Steam forums for the game. Is your stick a PS3 or 360 stick? FWIW, it works correctly with everything I've thrown at it including a DS4, HRAP V3SA, V4, and a Cthulhu. Have you tried playing with the checkboxes in the launcher?
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,817
    Check the "use Xbox Controller" box if you're having stick issues.

• BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    Thanks guys, I'll look into it. Probably just glossed over something in a rush to check it out. It's a 360 TE round one, could totally be that xbox check box that I blew right over.
  • DwarfDwarf A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry. Joined: Posts: 27
    freija wrote: »

You are very much overrating Aja.

There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,327
    Dwarf wrote: »

You are very much overrating Aja.

And Jyuzu for that matter.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • MuttonmanMuttonman Joined: Posts: 2,817
    And underrating Hanzo.

I mean, I play Aja. She's a lot of fun. I wouldn't call her particularly great though.
  • keo-baskeo-bas Joined: Posts: 1,968

Don't Hina and Aja have issue opening people up.
    I thought Azure looses the range game pretty hard does he have reversal for that matter?

Hanzo Bottom? that makes no sense. She far to versatile to be weak, arguably one of the stronger characters.

Seikuken Disciple
    "That Phantom Breaker Guy"
  • FullMetalRossFullMetalRoss That Hurt! Liar... Joined: Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Aja's game isn't really about opening people up, but zoning to the corner and then threatening guard crush to get people twitchy.
    <<>>
  • DwarfDwarf A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry. Joined: Posts: 27
    keo-bas wrote: »
    Hanzo Bottom? that makes no sense. She far to versatile to be weak, arguably one of the stronger characters.
    Muttonman wrote: »
    And underrating Hanzo.

She isn't really that strong. She seems to have a lot of options but they don't turn out to be particularly practical. That's not to say she's useless, though.
    I think it's still too early to be getting serious about tier lists but it seems like everyone rates from A+ to B/B-, i.e. everyone is viable. I want to finish that sentence with "other than Kotaro", but we'll see.

There are no limits. There are plateaus, but you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,100 mod
    Hina can do amazing pressure if you know how. And she can also just play with footsies and pokes and win. I recall Juicebox saying she was S-tier and I'm inclined to agree.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Great_Dark_HeroGreat_Dark_Hero "Just making functions give in to unwanted pleasure..." Joined: Posts: 2,943
    I recall JuiceboxKing mentioning several times that Aja is actually not anywhere near as good as some players make her out to be. There was also insight from many Japanese players, suggesting the same thing. Aja is still extremely viable but there are quite a few subjects to take in consideration when playing her...

In fact...
    Why is Aja among the worst characters in the game currently? I play her and suspected as much, but it'd be nice to know why from your perspective.

Her neutral is good and oppressive, but this game is ultimately about how quickly you can rack up damage and in this area she suffers. Her super doesn't do much damage outside of raw jumpin combos, her only legit, quick mixup at close range is UOH or low (which is universal), and good players will not lose to basic pressure with normals in neutral.

See: http://ask.fm/One_Hundred_Percent_Juicebox/answer/131857999215

I'm also inclined to agree that Hina is one of the more stronger characters, along with Chadha.

Then again, JuiceboxKing also made an actual tier list.
    Here you go. This is my opinion.
    A+
    Hina
    Chadha
    A
    Crow
    Juzu
    A-
    Kou
    Azure
    Jet
    B
    Shimo
    Hanzo
    B-
    Aja
    Kotaro

See: https://mobile.twitter.com/Juicebox_FGC/status/625441901806620672
    Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/GDHTP | Twitch Channel: great_dark_hero
    PSN: Dark_Ice_Saiko
    KOFXIV: Kyo / Geese / Mai [Luong, MuiMui, Geese, Leona, Shun, Beni, King, Terry]
    DOA5LR: Mai [Nyotengu, Kasumi]
    Tekken 7: Heihachi [Xiaoyu, M. Raven, Eliza, Jin, Lars]
    BBCF: Hakumen[Azaerl, Nine, Izayoi]
    SFV : ??????????????????
    Come to dreamcancel.com for KOFXIV FAQS, wiki-updates, and mini-guides!

edited July 2015
    d3v wrote: »
    Hina can do amazing pressure if you know how. And she can also just play with footsies and pokes and win. I recall Juicebox saying she was S-tier and I'm inclined to agree.
    How should her pressure work? I've been playing her for while and haven't been good with it.

I had the impression that her lack of mix up made her offense underwhelming. I have alot gaps in my pressure and not sure what I should be doing.

2x Cr.lk> 5A> Special
    2D> 412369P/ [4]..6K

Seikuken Disciple
    edited July 2015
    How should her pressure work? I've been playing her for while and haven't been good with it.

I had the impression that her lack of mix up made her offense underwhelming. I have alot gaps in my pressure and not sure what I should be doing.

2x Cr.lk> 5A> Special
    2D> 412369P/ [4]..6K
    I know alot of folks who've been getting good mileage out of just doing slide into her TK overhead. You're not really looking to mix your opponents up, but rather to frustrate them into making a mistake, and then you just beat counterpoke or bait and punish. You basically play her like a mix of ST Boxer and 3S Chun where you're trying to bulldog like the former, but mostly relying on good pokes and counterpokes like the latter.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    edited July 2015

2x Cr.lk> 5A> Special
    2D> 412369P/ [4]..6K
    I know alot of folks who've been getting good mileage out of just doing slide into her TK overhead. You're not really looking to mix your opponents up, but rather to frustrate them into making a mistake, and then you just beat counterpoke or bait and punish. You basically play her like a mix of ST Boxer and 3S Chun where you're trying to bulldog like the former, but mostly relying on good pokes and counterpokes like the latter.

this is true till you face an opponent whose component with parry. But this was against a Hanzo who maybe just strong at dealing with her game. I'll work on this some more.

How doe she bait and punish? All her stuff require charge so she doesn't seem to have any...react able option.
    Seikuken Disciple
  • codykcodyk 2,6 P+K+G Joined: Posts: 227
    Any execution tips for Kou canceling far standing HP into super? I've noticed 23623 is all the motion that's necessary, but still having trouble doing it consistently, at least on one side.

2x Cr.lk> 5A> Special
    2D> 412369P/ [4]..6K

this is true till you face an opponent whose component with parry. But this was against a Hanzo who maybe just strong at dealing with her game. I'll work on this some more.

How doe she bait and punish? All her stuff require charge so she doesn't seem to have any...react able option.
    Pokes. Cr.HP has a deceptive hitbox that can lead to all sorts of damage and juggles.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    codyk wrote: »
    Any execution tips for Kou canceling far standing HP into super? I've noticed 23623 is all the motion that's necessary, but still having trouble doing it consistently, at least on one side.

Plink the punches. This allows you to chain-negative edge the super input giving you a more lenient cancel window.
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,137
    Yeah as primarily a SFIV player I was really confused and thought plinking worked in this game for a moment (would be good because I can't get the links for the life of me).
  • codykcodyk 2,6 P+K+G Joined: Posts: 227
    Eh, I understood what he meant, and appreciate the suggestion, pianoing does help more than I would have expected.
    Can we please not refer to everything that involves pianoing or drumming buttons as plinking. This is some of that SFIV vernacular that's spilling over into other games where it's not applicable. Irks me about as much as calling arcade sticks, "fight sticks".

Because the terminology of 'pianoing' and 'drumming' totally don't refer to or derive origin from activities that have practically nothing to do with playing video games on an arcade stick.

I understand where you're coming from though, and I apologize for offending you. I realize that the action of pressing two buttons in very rapid succession with the intention of creating consistent execution is completely different from the activity of plinking.
  • The_AdventurerThe_Adventurer Joined: Posts: 147
    edited July 2015
    If you 'piano' on a piano, you get a 'plink'.

So.... its interchangeable vernacular.

EDIT: 'Fight Stick' is just a 'band-aid' situation. Getting upset about it is just petty.
    edited July 2015
    Hyenaboy wrote: »
    Can we please not refer to everything that involves pianoing or drumming buttons as plinking. This is some of that SFIV vernacular that's spilling over into other games where it's not applicable. Irks me about as much as calling arcade sticks, "fight sticks".

Because the terminology of 'pianoing' and 'drumming' totally don't refer to or derive origin from activities that have practically nothing to do with playing video games on an arcade stick.

I understand where you're coming from though, and I apologize for offending you. I realize that the action of pressing two buttons in very rapid succession with the intention of creating consistent execution is completely different from the activity of plinking.

Yes, they are in how they operate. Pianoing uses negative edge to increase the likelihood of an attack coming out, like drumming all punch buttons for a super. Plinking is fooling SFIV's input engine into double reading an input, you can plink form kicks to punches and vice versa as long as you follow the priority chain to hit a link.
    If you 'piano' on a piano, you get a 'plink'.

So.... its interchangeable vernacular.

EDIT: 'Fight Stick' is just a 'band-aid' situation. Getting upset about it is just petty.

Absolutely nothing to do with the noise a piano makes.

I'm not being a pedant, they do refer to separate things, they are not interchangeable.

SRK Glossary in the newbie dojo:

Piano: Method of pressing buttons where you roll your fingers across the buttons like playing a piano's keys.
    Plinking: Also known as Priority Linking. Inputting a second command one frame later to trick SF4's input reader into thinking you pressed the first button twice.

Plinking is a SFIV specific engine trait.

Drumming is part of the english vernacular outside of music.
    "verb If something drums on a surface, or if you drum something on a surface, it hits it regularly, making a continuous beating sound.
    He drummed his fingers on the leather top of his desk..."

The fightstick thing is a kleenex vs. tissue type argument, but say it around most people that have been in the scene for more than 5 years and you'll sound like a twat.

My apologies for getting off topic, slight attempt to re-rail the thread.

You can drum across buttons in Yata, but you can't plink, plinking is in street fighter 4.
    Post edited by BurnYourEgo on
  • otoriotori RTSD Joined: Posts: 6,137
    I can't play this game. I get major slowdowns and over 200 ping vs people I play fine in other games.

I've opened my ports and no use.
    otori wrote: »
    I can't play this game. I get major slowdowns and over 200 ping vs people I play fine in other games.

I've opened my ports and no use.

You might not be adjusting your delay settings. During character select, press the O and P keys to change the value, you'll see it at the bottom right of your screen.
    I think most people don't notice it.

• xsoniccxsonicc y: aoc Joined: Posts: 820
    anyone still playing this game? i got into it when it launched on steam and would love to have some people to play with
    no.
    xsonicc wrote: »
    anyone still playing this game? i got into it when it launched on steam and would love to have some people to play with

Get in contact with Nickcool1996 on Steam. He pretty much running the community there and will help get you in contact with other people playing and run online tournaments and stuff.
  • KowtowRobinsonKowtowRobinson TEBOW! TEBOW! TEBOW! Joined: Posts: 6,421
    xsonicc wrote: »

The community will grow a lot if they decide to give us a finished product, I think.
  • blufangblufang Devour! Joined: Posts: 4,487
    I told everyone, how important having GGPO and a polished finished product was. They may have killed their own game.

• ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,364
    Still no GGPO?
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • JohnGrimmJohnGrimm A.K.A. JohnXuandou Joined: Posts: 4,327
    B3vKKM3.jpg

Super rough translation so please understand.

Someone on JP twitter posted a PS4 version of Yatagarasu, probably Legend of Raven.
    Ume-zono then says, "Really? I didn't even know it was coming out."
    "I want to change the menus and such if you're going to make a console version. Also I wanted to update the PC version too to clean it up."
    "Also this tweet may disappear."

So updates are probably coming at some point, I'm assuming GGPO is going to be bundled with other stuff to make it a substantial update.
    You lack devotion! Enduring hunger and poverty is how you find the way!
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,364
    edited August 2015
    Thanks for the update.
    Looking at the screenshot, that's how I imagined the pc version.
    Just have the menus 1920x1080 or whatever resolution the user specifies, then embed the game into a fake arcade cabinet with some artwork on it, so you can keep the games original aspect ratio which improves the visuals of the game and makes the menus look alright.

I mean the menus are ok it's just that everything looks ass because of the resolution.
    The game is rock solid and I hope the creators get some cash out of it.
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
    I have to say, I'm really disappointed by the amount of people that are so turned off by the interface.
    I get that the resolution is small and the online options aren't easy to work out at first, and yes there are two options that both say "ARCADE", but the way the game plays is what's most important. And it plays great! It's a really, really good game and I think if people cared enough about fighting games they'd get over their kneejerk response to the menus for the sake of supporting the scene. Saying it's unfinished is definitely overkill.
    Maybe it's because I play Dwarf Fortress, but I don't think the interface is that bad in the first place.

It baffles me as well. Even back before the game had translated menus, it didn't do anything to dampen my desire to play it- I just worked through the language barrier and played.

I think it might just be that some people will try to find any excuse they can to not have to learn something new. They find an objective flaw with the game's presentation and run with it. Or maybe they're just really cheap and want the game for free. Either way, it's really disappointing.
  • BoboGloryBoboGlory Joined: Posts: 544
    There's a weekly online tournament tomorrow if anyone is interested.

http://challonge.com/WYataAoC2
  • HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    I have to say, I'm really disappointed by the amount of people that are so turned off by the interface.
    I get that the resolution is small and the online options aren't easy to work out at first, and yes there are two options that both say "ARCADE", but the way the game plays is what's most important. And it plays great! It's a really, really good game and I think if people cared enough about fighting games they'd get over their kneejerk response to the menus for the sake of supporting the scene. Saying it's unfinished is definitely overkill.
    Maybe it's because I play Dwarf Fortress, but I don't think the interface is that bad in the first place.

It is unfinished. Anything that wasn't tied to gameplay was neglected. The fact they couldn't even bother to give the story mode it's own name is evidence of that. The game needing some ingenuity on the player's end to make the online work is a detriment to the game.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    edited August 2015
    Anything that wasn't tied to gameplay was neglected.

1) You're exaggerating. 2) I will take that deal every single time in an industry where almost every major title is shipped with broken/buggy gameplay.
    And if by "ingenuity on the player's end" you mean port forwarding, Yatagarasu is far from the only game that requires it, and it's really a very simple thing to do. You can even download programs that do it for you. Imagine the ingenuity required to set up an IPX network to play multiplayer DOOM 20 years ago. We're spoiled now.

• HawkingbirdHawkingbird I am thou...thou art I Joined: Posts: 25,690
    Anything that wasn't tied to gameplay was neglected.

1) You're exaggerating. 2) I will take that deal every single time in an industry where almost every major title is shipped with broken/buggy gameplay.
    And if by "ingenuity on the player's end" you mean port forwarding, Yatagarasu is far from the only game that requires it, and it's really a very simple thing to do. You can even download programs that do it for you. Imagine the ingenuity required to set up an IPX network to play multiplayer DOOM 20 years ago. We're spoiled now.

I'm not exaggerating. You said it yourself, there are two modes that say arcade when one of them is actually an arcade mode. The button config is among some of the worst I've seen in any fighting game. A PC game lacking resolution settings in 2015. You likely won't care for these things. I should port forward if I want to optimize my online experience. It shouldn't be a requirement to get a game to work. I don't enjoy having to tink with my router settings.
    PSN: Hawkingbird
    FC: 0834-1564-0151
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/runawayavenger
    The button config is among some of the worst I've seen in any fighting game.
    How much simpler could they make the button config?
    I don't enjoy having to tink with my router settings.
    Even if it means being able to enjoy dozens of hours of great gameplay? I don't know what to say.
    edited August 2015
    The button config is among some of the worst I've seen in any fighting game.

I don't understand what you're talking about. It's the standard ABCD used by almost every other 4 button fighter in existence. I can understand preferring hitting 6 to parry instead of it being mapped to a button, but among some of the worst you've seen in any fighting game? Really?

And having two modes listed as arcade is a stupid oversight, but it doesn't mean everything that isn't tied to gameplay was neglected. That absolutely is an exaggeration.

I am disappointed by the lack of resolution options, I do care about the interface, but they're all pretty trivial problems to have with a game like this. The game is designed very well, it runs flawlessly on low end computers, the mechanics are solid, and the netcode is pretty good even without GGPO. That ticks all the boxes for a fighting game.

• The_AdventurerThe_Adventurer Joined: Posts: 147
    While its 4 button configuration is flawless, I've yet to get use to the Parry buttons. Currently I'm going with the default with the 2 parries on the right. I'm wondering if maybe remaping them to the left side might be natural.
    anyone in this thread that won't give this game a chance is not worth playing anyway.

it's a shame because it really is a fantastic game as Dwarf has been saying, it's really a shame that the menus and other small things turn people off, but it's their choice so i can understand.
    no.
  • Wedge_AntillesWedge_Antilles I like cats. Joined: Posts: 489
    Everything is tragic about this game. I'll still hold out hope for GGPO to happen eventually. I don't mind a small community, but since Parrying is so necessary in the game, it's way harder to play with SFIV style netcode. Also I hope they nerf Chadha some if they ever release an update, it's ridiculous having a character where just jumping at half the cast is an advantageous mixup.

Anyway made a CV for it since it's not like there's a ton of playing against other people to be done.
    GFWL: WedgeAntilles S wedgeantilles on Steam
    Anyway made a CV for it since it's not like there's a ton of playing against other people to be done.

let's play! i'm pretty sure i played against you a bunch the other day, i'm soni on yatagarasu, and i'd assume you're wedge. :)
    no.