Streaming and Recording Guide/Research

Comments

• MonoTekETeAMonoTekETeA Yippy Kie Yo Yie Yay Joined: Posts: 559
    You can try this.
    HD Box Pro. Problem with converters is they will all add some value of lag in. No matter how much money is being put down.
    Your monitor picture is also going to lack, because you will be running what essentially is a composite signal, through component, converted to VGA for your monitor. No one asked for pretty pictures though. If you want a good picture though, go out and buy $300+ in equipment. Otherwise, just settle for this $60 piece. I can't speak from personal experience though, just read through that thread and decide for yourself if it is what you want.
    I can phoenix CPS2 boards. Contact me if you need it done.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
  • VesperiaVesperia Fine asian canadian Joined: Posts: 75
    With the MXO2 mini you need to have the video playing in the Matrox AV Controls preview window. Then use VidBlaster to capture Desktop for Camera 1. Select 16:9 if you are playing HD video from the Mini, and select the area where the AV tools preview window is playing. Now you have a virtual cam in VidBlaster. This doesn't give you audio though. For that you would need to split the audio before it goes into the Mini. Send 1 set of connectors to your line-in on your pc and 1 to your Mini. Now u can set up the stream module in VidBlaster and you are set. If your pc is fast enough you can record with the AV tools and stream with VidBlaster from the 1 PC. You probably need an i7 processor to do both at the same time though.

Ps. There may be better ways to get the audio into the stream. If you have the audio playing in the AV tools preview along with the video you could use the Line-out on your pc as the source for the stream. You may need software like Virtual Audio Cable to do this though.

Thx for taking the time to explain this to me. I have it all setup but when I set the camera up then have A/V tools on screen do I just literally line it up on my screen? cause whenever I have to click off the window or do anything then I have to maximize the a/v window again. Am I just being dumb or is this the proper way you did it. Also what video settings and stream quality settings did you use for vidblaster when I have my actual game set to 720p? thx again.
  • hbreakzhbreakz Joined: Posts: 238
    where can i buy black magic intensity pro (BMI)? can i buy it from the apple store? and still use it on my windows pc. and i know the answer is yes. but i rather ask to be safe. incase of some major hardware issue.
    psn: hbreakz
    live: hbreakz
    sfhdr : M. Bison fulltime
    SF IV :Sagat . Chun li. Ryu. ken.
  • ShinjiGohanShinjiGohan Joined: Posts: 4,423 ✭✭✭
    I believe I got mine online, but I don't remember where.
  • 1Prophecy1Prophecy Joined: Posts: 138
    is it possible to play directly on my laptop from my xbox 360 and record it from there so i wouldnt have latency problems from the television?
  • PumpkinBomberPumpkinBomber Troll Hawk Joined: Posts: 3,681
    Thx for taking the time to explain this to me. I have it all setup but when I set the camera up then have A/V tools on screen do I just literally line it up on my screen? cause whenever I have to click off the window or do anything then I have to maximize the a/v window again. Am I just being dumb or is this the proper way you did it. Also what video settings and stream quality settings did you use for vidblaster when I have my actual game set to 720p? thx again.

You don't need to maximize AV tools. Just have it open on the desktop were the video preview window is visible and use Vidblaster to draw a 16x9 box around the AV preview video. And yes you need to keep other things on your desktop from covering the video because you are capturing the desktop, not the video. The video just happens to be in the area of the desktop you are capturing.

Usually the streams will only do lower quality. So you can set it for auto or whatever the stream will handle. Usually 320x180 or 320x240. If you find a streaming solution for Higher quality and have the bandwidth. Then by all means up your resolution in VidBlaster. Just play with the frame rate till you get a solid stream. Higher frames = higher bandwidth requirements, but better video in general. You just need to find what works best for your setup by tinkering with the settings.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
    "I'm all in." - Phil Ivey
  • ChaoticMonkChaoticMonk Shut The Front Door Joined: Posts: 860 ✭✭
    Hi guys, I need some input.

I'm thinking of getting a PC to TV Converter which will output to VGA and S-Video/Composite at the same time. The plan is to plug the VGA from my xbox 360 to the converter then the VGA out to my monitor so I can play my xbox in HD and the S-VIDEO into a capture device (probably a Dazzle) to record in SD.

Here's what I need to find out:
    1. Will this work?
    2. Anyone had experience with a PC to TV Converter? Do they introduce noticeable lag with regard to the VGA loop (VGA in then VGA out)?
    3. Any one know of a good PC to TV converter to get or what I should be looking for (I'm noticing ones from $20 - $90 but they pretty much say the same thing)?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)
  • ChaoticMonkChaoticMonk Shut The Front Door Joined: Posts: 860 ✭✭
    Ok. I got my yearly bonus at work and I've gone ahead and ordered a Hauppauge HD PVR so I can record & play my xbox in HD. The problem now is I still don't have a way to connect to my LCD monitor from the PVR (it has component out).

I've been looking at getting a new monitor which accepts component input but they are a little pricey. My other option is to use a component to HMDI cable but I can't find any info on whether they do any conversion to the video thereby adding lag or if simply passes through due to the HD signal being the same that enters from the component end and exits from the HDMI end.

Any insight?
  • WorstGiefEVERWorstGiefEVER GIEF Joined: Posts: 462
    Bought the Matrox MXO2 for my Dell XPS M1710 around two weeks ago. It crashed my computer every time I plugged it in and tried to run FME or A/V tools saying PROCESS_HAS_LOCKED_PAGES, so I formatted my laptop. Turns out it was crashing because of a USB memory card driver. Thankfully Vista recognised this was the problem and linked me to a direct download from Dell, so now it functions.

The MXO2 is not compatible with FME, so I'm going to try it with Wirecast tomorrow. Will udpate.
  • animaXanimaX Joined: Posts: 143
    Does anyone know if this product can be used to record from xbox360? Would it be similar to the hauppauge?
    My hori ex2 solderless button mod guide: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=195454
  • striderzer0striderzer0 how not 2 play mvc2 Joined: Posts: 523
    Does anyone know if this product can be used to record from xbox360? Would it be similar to the hauppauge?

from what i read in the users manual there is only has composite in for recording, so probably not worth it if you just want to record .

Has anyone heard about the AVerMedia AVerTV USB HD DVR. this seem quite similar to the hauppauge HDPVR1212 but since it is AVer media it may be compatible with with streaming software on PC
    http://www.tinyurl.com/TeamStriderDonations
    http://www.youtube.com/striderzer0
    "The true indication of a good fighting game – playability, not balance" -Clockw0rk
  • WhatTheDeuceWhatTheDeuce Joined: Posts: 56
    So....I have a question, mainly to the veterans that use Wirecast....What are the best broadcast settings to ensure that there's as little possible choppyness?

Hardware Specs

Dell XPS 8100 with i5-650 Processor
    3 gigs ram(until i put more in)

Capcard is an Avermedia AVerTV HD DVR
    JT "Deuce"
    Tournament Broadcaster for iPlayWinner & CEOgaming
    Facebook - facebook.com/ipwdeuce
    Twitter - twitter.com/ipwdeuce
    http://www.iplaywinner.com
  • drunkninja42drunkninja42 My Little CvS Joined: Posts: 1,695
    Quick question for those versed in Wirecast....is there a way to set up more layers than the standard ones already there? Main reason is that I want to be able to put Player names in during a match, but I've only been able to do so by putting on in a Title layer and another in the Foreground layer. I'd also like to have a little more flexibility in positioning them. Do you HAVE to use their templates for text or is there a way to add it in without those?
  • Black_BerserkerBlack_Berserker Average player Joined: Posts: 6
    great work indeed

I have a question. We are running a 3s tournament and we used in the past a simple TV card to record the matches and to output them into a projector for the audience. We are using CRT TV to avoid lag and the setup is simple; from ps2 to TV and then from TV to the TV card which is connected with the laptop for recording and then a DVI wire that connects the laptop to the projector....the problem is that there is lag in the video and audio on the projector and this can affect the players since the projector's sound should be higher than the TV....so my question is....is there a way to connect CRT TV to a projector? we tried using other tools like HAVA but it requires an internet which is not possible to provide in the place of the event...Also, tried HAUPPAUGE 1212 - HD-PVR which enables you to play 3s using component wire on and HD TV with minimum lag and those TV's can be easily connected to a projector...but this minimum lag still affecting...air re-sets and things that require strict timing like Akuma's mk hurricane into mp shoryuken -___-. How did they do it in EVO 2007 and so? were there also small lag for the audience or was it simply live (what happens at that moment gets viewed directly?)
    great work indeed

I have a question. We are running a 3s tournament and we used in the past a simple TV card to record the matches and to output them into a projector for the audience. We are using CRT TV to avoid lag and the setup is simple; from ps2 to TV and then from TV to the TV card which is connected with the laptop for recording and then a DVI wire that connects the laptop to the projector....the problem is that there is lag in the video and audio on the projector and this can affect the players since the projector's sound should be higher than the TV....so my question is....is there a way to connect CRT TV to a projector? we tried using other tools like HAVA but it requires an internet which is not possible to provide in the place of the event...Also, tried HAUPPAUGE 1212 - HD-PVR which enables you to play 3s using component wire on and HD TV with minimum lag and those TV's can be easily connected to a projector...but this minimum lag still affecting...air re-sets and things that require strict timing like Akuma's mk hurricane into mp shoryuken -___-. How did they do it in EVO 2007 and so? were there also small lag for the audience or was it simply live (what happens at that moment gets viewed directly?)

I believe a few AV Distribution Amplifiers (aka powered splitters) are listed in the OP. But since you are using composite cables you can get one for those at Radio Shack that might do the trick for your setup.
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience." - George Carlin
  • Black_BerserkerBlack_Berserker Average player Joined: Posts: 6
    Thanks for the help...I will try the powered splitters...but don't you have any idea regarding the setting for 3rd strike in EVO? we really would like to try that
    Thanks for the help...I will try the powered splitters...but don't you have any idea regarding the setting for 3rd strike in EVO? we really would like to try that

I wasn't at EVO 2007. But they probably used a distribution amplifier because, well, that's how it is done. I doubt they did anything exotic. You should really read the OP and look at the diagram of his setup.
  • SpruchySpruchy I don't lose. Joined: Posts: 14
    Posted this on IPW as well:

I've been using the set up that Haunts posted in the OP but I've hit a snag with the mixer. I'm on a Macbook pro using the the Hauppauge, a Xenyx 502 mixer, and been trying to get either my Snowball USB Mic or my logitech g330 line in (on mixer) or USB (on macbook). For software like recommended I am using soundflower, camtwist, and flash media encoder. I have my component video cables from the gaming system plugged into the hauppauge with the audio going into the input L/R. I have a two way line cable with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter plugged into one of the five line in slots, and finally my USB microphone plugged into the computer itself (or alternatively a line in MIC plugged into one of the inputs). I've tried various combinations of audio inputs in FME and different plug combination but I cannot get my voice, video, and game audio all going at the same time. The best result ive gotten so far was really laggy audio (like five seconds+ behind the video, when otherwise it matches the delay perfectly) but otherwise its usually just the video and the game audio coming through the stream. I know I am probably missing something really obvious here but Ive spent two days on this now and im out of ideas. If anyone has any ideas it would mean a lot.
  • FuriousJodoFuriousJodo Joined: Posts: 2,077
    Posted this on IPW as well:

I've been using the set up that Haunts posted in the OP but I've hit a snag with the mixer. I'm on a Macbook pro using the the Hauppauge, a Xenyx 502 mixer, and been trying to get either my Snowball USB Mic or my logitech g330 line in (on mixer) or USB (on macbook). For software like recommended I am using soundflower, camtwist, and flash media encoder. I have my component video cables from the gaming system plugged into the hauppauge with the audio going into the input L/R. I have a two way line cable with a 1/8 to 1/4 adapter plugged into one of the five line in slots, and finally my USB microphone plugged into the computer itself (or alternatively a line in MIC plugged into one of the inputs). I've tried various combinations of audio inputs in FME and different plug combination but I cannot get my voice, video, and game audio all going at the same time. The best result ive gotten so far was really laggy audio (like five seconds+ behind the video, when otherwise it matches the delay perfectly) but otherwise its usually just the video and the game audio coming through the stream. I know I am probably missing something really obvious here but Ive spent two days on this now and im out of ideas. If anyone has any ideas it would mean a lot.

Mixer should be between the game console and the Hauppauge, that way your commentary/etc is actually going into the video stream that the Hauppauge will be feeding into your stream/recording. The recording you are getting from the Hauppauge is usually 10+ seconds delayed, so you won't be able to sync it up properly if you have the mics giong directly into the computer.
    http://www.youtube.com/FuriousJodo - http://www.justin.tv/FuriousJodo
    HeavyD: "He's black Galactus. Balacktus."
    For people using the screen capture of a preview window method FileBox extender could be helpful. With it you can set the preview window to always on top so you dont have to worry about moving windows over the preview
    "The true indication of a good fighting game – playability, not balance" -Clockw0rk
    For people using the screen capture of a preview window method FileBox extender could be helpful. With it you can set the preview window to always on top so you dont have to worry about moving windows over the preview

I just set up two monitors.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
  • bizzyrokbizzyrok Joined: Posts: 57
    anywhere in uk to get a decent capture device? 480p should be fine and low price
  • hbreakzhbreakz Joined: Posts: 238
    i use avermedia hd dvr $89 requires pci-e and i use a power splitter i got from amazon 26$. avera media even has a usb i suggest these if ur on a budget. averymedia is basically the same thing as blackmagic. do yourself a favor and save some money. i know i did.
    psn: hbreakz
    live: hbreakz
    sfhdr : M. Bison fulltime
    SF IV :Sagat . Chun li. Ryu. ken.
  • kthkth Joined: Posts: 466
    Is there any program that you can use for title and logos??? I tried manycam but the quality really suck.

This is my stream. Look at test 8. I had to use getto notepad for names :(

STL TRAINING GROUND on USTREAM: STL SCENES.
  • THE ANSWERTHE ANSWER KOF Legend Joined: Posts: 1,688
    very helpful information thanks guys.
    -I'm not THE best anymore, I'm just one of the best =)
    "LOL not everyone is a basement dweller afraid of meeting real people Emil" -Cronopio
  • THE ANSWERTHE ANSWER KOF Legend Joined: Posts: 1,688
    very helpful information thanks guys.
    -I'm not THE best anymore, I'm just one of the best =)
    "LOL not everyone is a basement dweller afraid of meeting real people Emil" -Cronopio
  • RufusRufus An unexpected database error has occurred. Joined: Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    If there is such a thing as a VGA to s-video converter but the input resolution also has to be SD, could you use something like an XCM Mega-Cool 1080p VGA Box to change the resolution? It has a VGA input and output. I'm not sure how it works, but if it could downscale instead of upscale that might do the trick. In which case, it would look like:

There's also a bunch of converters. You should be sure to find one that will support the resolution you drive the VGA one at.
    Hitboxes http://www.pedantic.org/~nate/HDR/
    "You don't know what you're talking about as much as I do." -- Unknown
  • ranmasamaranmasama I dive kick irl Joined: Posts: 1,651
    I just got the AverTV HD DVR. Quality seems good and can stream with FME easily.

Now I just need a program for overlays for streaming purposes (For Windows 7). Manycam doesn't seem to work with avertv. Vidblaster doesn't work with the avertv although I heard that others got it working. For those that have the AverTV, what program do you use for overlays on your streams?
    http://www.youtube.com/user/battleforthesouth - Louisiana Tourneys/Casuals
    http://www.justin.tv/ranmasama - Random Xbox Live Matches. On at random times.
    I just got the AverTV HD DVR. Quality seems good and can stream with FME easily.

Now I just need a program for overlays for streaming purposes (For Windows 7). Manycam doesn't seem to work with avertv. Vidblaster doesn't work with the avertv although I heard that others got it working. For those that have the AverTV, what program do you use for overlays on your streams?

You can try Wirecast.
    Wirecast didn't work either.

EDIT: It did work now. I had to open Avertv Software and run the capture on their software, then close it, then open wirecast for it to show up.

EDIT: I just tried the trick with Vidblaster and it worked. I had to set the video feed to s-video even though it's through HDMI and only certain resolutions work.
  • Exceed^Exceed^ Slangin' Yogurt Joined: Posts: 794
    Are there any inexpensive (or free) alternatives to Wirecast? I'd like to start streaming but the $400+ is pretty steep.
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,189 ✭✭
    Flash Media Encoder, and VLC to name two.
  • MantleMantle Joined: Posts: 466
    Are there any inexpensive (or free) alternatives to Wirecast? I'd like to start streaming but the $400+ is pretty steep.

I'm using camtwist studio on mac + FME run in command line mode + HD PVR as a budget replacement for Wirecast. Another plus is that this set up is about as CPU friendly as you are gonna get if using the HD PVR. I am streaming at 400x224/15fps/900kbit on my 2.4ghz core2duo and my CPU is pegged at 96-99%, but with no frame drops.

I don't consider FME or VLC to be alternatives in themselves to Wirecast because they don't have any production capabilities like overlays and transitions.

If you want to be cheap, I strongly suggest staying in SD resolution. I regret going HD because it means I have to upgrade every other single component in my setup from cpu, ram video card, and bandwidth. Best bet is to get some SD capture card that has directshow output so you don't have to fiddle with a screen capture layer.
    Join the VSF group for updates on the Vancouver scene: http://on.fb.me/gX2xLO
  • marhul403marhul403 Joined: Posts: 61
    Has anyone tried Blitzbox ?, they are totally impossible to purchase but they seem pretty great for streaming.
    Anyone knows how Godsgarden run their streams?
    For those that use Virtual Audio Cable. I have a problem with the in-game sounds. They randomly start making crackling sounds and the only way to fix it is to restart the repeater. It happens often which is bothersome because you can't hear the problem unless you check the stream itself.

For the repeater setup I'm using:
    In-game sounds go through my comp from Avertv which I then send to LINE 1
    Webcam sound to LINE 1
    MIC sounds to LINE1

I then send line 1 to FME to stream. Webcam sound and mic sounds never crackle. Only the in-game sounds.

Someone help me. /beg

http://www.justin.tv/ranmasama/b/275440668

I highlighted this part of the video to show the crackling noises.

XSplit - Going Live is Simple
    The xspit broadcaster is a good free (beta) alternative to wirecast for the basic stuff like multiple cams and shots, thirds(that you make in photoshop/gimp/paint/etc), and text overlays( just recently added). This comes from the people that brought you VH MultiCam and VH screencap which is what they used as a base and built in more features such as built in streaming support to jtv and ustream. Also it doesnt seem to be a cpu hoggy as some of the other free software that can add text overlays
    XSplit - Going Live is Simple
    The xspit broadcaster is a good free (beta) alternative to wirecast for the basic stuff like multiple cams and shots, thirds(that you make in photoshop/gimp/paint/etc), and text overlays( just recently added). This comes from the people that brought you VH MultiCam and VH screencap which is what they used as a base and built in more features such as built in streaming support to jtv and ustream. Also it doesnt seem to be a cpu hoggy as some of the other free software that can add text overlays

Thanks for the heads up.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
  • MazinkaiserMazinkaiser Debiru Mashin Joined: Posts: 88
    That SW is... really how :O

you can set up multiple scenes such as one with the game feed+graphic+text , then have another scene with a player cam, etc. So you could recreate just about every shot you see on the popular wirecast streams like Levelup, Team Spooky and IPlayWinner.
  • The RealystThe Realyst Turtle Power Joined: Posts: 1,685
    Glad I found this thread. I was just abouto create a new one and get reamed for it. :razzy:

I've read this whole thread and while the information is great, no one has really touched on what kind of specs your computer should have to do this stuff.

I've tried streaming with my current computer which is about 3 years old. If I really lower the quality of the stream, it runs smooth, but of course it looks bad. If I up the quality at all, it drops frames... and a lot of them. Also, the cpu usage shoots up to 90-95%. So I guess it's time for a new build? Right now I have :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping
    GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0
    XFX 8800GT 512mb
    4gb of RAM

I'm thinking about going up to these :

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
    ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58
    EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR
    8GB of RAM

I'm using a Black Magic Intensity Pro to do the streaming and I'm trying to get the quality to be at about what SRK Live or Peaceful Jay's stream is right now. My questions are first, before I spend all this money on new equipment..., should my machine as it is now be able to handle streaming am I doing something wrong in the settings or something? Secondly, if I do have to upgrade, are those parts good enough for a high quality stream? Do I need a new video card if the video is going through the Black Magic Intensity Pro? I've already done a speed test on my internet connection. I should be able to stream fine once I get this problem solved. I've tried reaching out to other well known streamers in the community and I've gotten no response. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.
    My Heatware Feedback! = http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=77667

SF4 : Guile and Blanka
    UMVC3 : Nathan, Victor, Vergil / Nathan, Vergil, Clinton
    TTT2 : Christie / Jaycee
  • .temp.temp maximum hype Joined: Posts: 69
    Hey folks, I need help!

I'm looking to start streaming games, but I need a little help with my setup. This is the PLAN.

vfkvmx.png

Now...the question is....which PVR?! I've looked at the posts on here but I still can't decide.

I'm looking at the AverMedia HD PVR as I saw another member of SRK saying they liked it for streaming and recording. Question is, will that be a decent device for streaming HD? I'd love to get an expressbox with a PCI-E card in it, but right now I dont have the extra money AND I don't have an express port on my laptop.

My PC is powerful (i7 920, GTX 295, 6Gb RAM) so I know at home it'll be fine.
    My Macbook Pro (can boot into OSX or Windows) is ...2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256Mb)....will this still handle streaming?

As for software...I'll be TRYING XSplit XSplit - Going Live is Simple . I can't afford wirecast right off the bat, but will be saving for it if it works

Any help?

Thanks in advance :)
    4 buttons and it's GGs all round
    Glad I found this thread. I was just abouto create a new one and get reamed for it. :razzy:

I've read this whole thread and while the information is great, no one has really touched on what kind of specs your computer should have to do this stuff.

I've tried streaming with my current computer which is about 3 years old. If I really lower the quality of the stream, it runs smooth, but of course it looks bad. If I up the quality at all, it drops frames... and a lot of them. Also, the cpu usage shoots up to 90-95%. So I guess it's time for a new build? Right now I have :

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 Stepping
    GA-P35-DS3P Rev 2.0
    XFX 8800GT 512mb
    4gb of RAM

I'm thinking about going up to these :

Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz
    ASUS P6X58D-E LGA 1366 Intel X58
    EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR
    8GB of RAM

I'm using a Black Magic Intensity Pro to do the streaming and I'm trying to get the quality to be at about what SRK Live or Peaceful Jay's stream is right now. My questions are first, before I spend all this money on new equipment..., should my machine as it is now be able to handle streaming am I doing something wrong in the settings or something? Secondly, if I do have to upgrade, are those parts good enough for a high quality stream? Do I need a new video card if the video is going through the Black Magic Intensity Pro? I've already done a speed test on my internet connection. I should be able to stream fine once I get this problem solved. I've tried reaching out to other well known streamers in the community and I've gotten no response. Any help from you guys would be greatly appreciated.

what settings and programs are you using to cast. Your machine should be able you produce a quality steam. A big reason why Peaceful Jay's looks so good, besides having a good computer, is that the last time I checked was Jay cast at H264 baseline@3.1 640x354 with a whooping 2500 Kbps bit rate straight into flash media live encoder and Spooky similarly with H264 baseline@3.1 640x360 with bitrates depending on wheres he is casting from but usually 1000 Kbps or higher. If you are trying to cast at 1280x720 with a Main profile @5.1 that will be way more taxing on your cpu so maybe try a lower resolution at a baseline profile and 3.1 level
    Hey folks, I need help!

I'm looking to start streaming games, but I need a little help with my setup. This is the PLAN.

http://i55.tinypic.com/vfkvmx.png

Now...the question is....which PVR?! I've looked at the posts on here but I still can't decide.

I'm looking at the AverMedia HD PVR as I saw another member of SRK saying they liked it for streaming and recording. Question is, will that be a decent device for streaming HD? I'd love to get an expressbox with a PCI-E card in it, but right now I dont have the extra money AND I don't have an express port on my laptop.

My PC is powerful (i7 920, GTX 295, 6Gb RAM) so I know at home it'll be fine.
    My Macbook Pro (can boot into OSX or Windows) is ...2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo / 4GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce 320M (256Mb)....will this still handle streaming?

As for software...I'll be TRYING XSplit XSplit - Going Live is Simple . I can't afford wirecast right off the bat, but will be saving for it if it works

Any help?

Thanks in advance :)
    The HDpvr can be used for streaming but you it will take some additional setup like capturing a preview window. And your laptop should be able to stream as long as you aren't running too many applications
  • liquidinliquidin Joined: Posts: 39
    what settings and programs are you using to cast. Your machine should be able you produce a quality steam. A big reason why Peaceful Jay's looks so good, besides having a good computer, is that the last time I checked was Jay cast at H264 baseline@3.1 640x354 with a whooping 2500 Kbps bit rate straight into flash media live encoder and Spooky similarly with H264 baseline@3.1 640x360 with bitrates depending on wheres he is casting from but usually 1000 Kbps or higher. If you are trying to cast at 1280x720 with a Main profile @5.1 that will be way more taxing on your cpu so maybe try a lower resolution at a baseline profile and 3.1 level

The HDpvr can be used for streaming but you it will take some additional setup like capturing a preview window. And your laptop should be able to stream as long as you aren't running too many applications

Hey man, fine ?

Do you think my laptop is able to stream with Avermedia HD DVR (or Hauppauge HD PVR) + Manycam + Wirecast ?

Core i3 2,2 GHz
    3GB ram 1333
    Intel GMA HD 256mb

Thanks
  • infamouskidinfamouskid LOVES VIDEO GAMES Joined: Posts: 610
    just want to say i have an hdfury.
    it does strip hdcp. there is no quality loss or delay.
    the problem is it only outputs to vga or component.
    not many capture cards support vga with 1080p input.
    not many cards support 1080p capture as well.
    NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE.
    liquidin
    I would us this Google Translate instead of manycam but it should still work either way. So you plan of action would be to use the program that came with the HD PVR to show the preview, open wirecast and select your desktop capture program and highlight the preview.

I can do this reasonably ok on my core2duo 2.0GHz 4gb ram 667 and Intel GM45 Express so yours should be fine

and to infamouskid for what I have seen 720p is often perfectly fine. How does the hdfury deal with audio? I use this as a alternative since I couldnt find any furys and it works well with my ps3 and xbox in 720p for capturing and streaming and has both a stereo and optical output.
  • threithrei Low IQ Idiot that plays charge characters Joined: Posts: 724 ✭✭✭
    For overlays I use a combination of VH Multi Camera studio, VH ScreenCap (you can use SCFH-DSF instead but VH ScreenCap comes with VH multicam so i use that instead), and Microsoft Excel.

VH Multicam for multiple video sources, output to FMLE via the command prompt, I don't use the GUI to save CPU cycles.

Basically what I do is create an excel sheet with two sections, the top section with player names, and the bottom section where it will be displayed (in black) I link the two cells together so that all i have to do is change the names at the top to make them change at the bottom. I then add that as a source in VH Multicam using VH ScrCap, setting it to capture that one area of the screen. After some adjusting and tweaking (most important being to make sure it only captures at 1fps to save CPU) you can get it working.

Here's an example of how i use it, but keep in mind i do only stream in SD with an easycap, and on top of that my internet isnt the greatest for streaming (7mb down 0.6mb up bell sympatico):

Justin.tv - GhettoGarden - Ghettostream BETA! We levelin up here | SSF4 GAF Endless Battles live via the interwebs, streamed from the basement of a Canadian. GDLK.
  • liquidinliquidin Joined: Posts: 39
    liquidin
    I would us this Google Translate instead of manycam but it should still work either way. So you plan of action would be to use the program that came with the HD PVR to show the preview, open wirecast and select your desktop capture program and highlight the preview.

I can do this reasonably ok on my core2duo 2.0GHz 4gb ram 667 and Intel GM45 Express so yours should be fine

and to infamouskid for what I have seen 720p is often perfectly fine. How does the hdfury deal with audio? I use this as a alternative since I couldnt find any furys and it works well with my ps3 and xbox in 720p for capturing and streaming and has both a stereo and optical output.
    The plan is exactly this that you said. Capture preview and use it in Wirecast. I tested this program recommended by you and not know if is better or not than ManyCam. Apparently the ManyCam proved faster. Another question: Which is better for streaming, Avermedia and Hauppauge??
    For overlays I use a combination of VH Multi Camera studio, VH ScreenCap (you can use SCFH-DSF instead but VH ScreenCap comes with VH multicam so i use that instead), and Microsoft Excel.

VH Multicam for multiple video sources, output to FMLE via the command prompt, I don't use the GUI to save CPU cycles.

Basically what I do is create an excel sheet with two sections, the top section with player names, and the bottom section where it will be displayed (in black) I link the two cells together so that all i have to do is change the names at the top to make them change at the bottom. I then add that as a source in VH Multicam using VH ScrCap, setting it to capture that one area of the screen. After some adjusting and tweaking (most important being to make sure it only captures at 1fps to save CPU) you can get it working.

Here's an example of how i use it, but keep in mind i do only stream in SD with an easycap, and on top of that my internet isnt the greatest for streaming (7mb down 0.6mb up bell sympatico):

Justin.tv - GhettoGarden - Ghettostream BETA! We levelin up here | SSF4 GAF Endless Battles live via the interwebs, streamed from the basement of a Canadian. GDLK.

I use for overlay only Photoshop and Wirecast. It's easy and powerfull. Try you too
    The plan is exactly this that you said. Capture preview and use it in Wirecast. I tested this program recommended by you and not know if is better or not than ManyCam. Apparently the ManyCam proved faster. Another question: Which is better for streaming, Avermedia and Hauppauge??

The avertv usb and hauppauge are pretty much the same when it come to streaming cause they even use the same software,but since the hauppauge has been around longer theres more help on it. The Avermedia can be found on average 35-40 dollars less online

I tested same thing with notepad and also used manycam text on a green background and then used VH multicam to green screen which also worked well.
    You should try xsplit sinch its from the creators of VHscreen cap and Multicam. They updated multicam to be a standalone program that can stream and they added the ability to put text overlays
  • threithrei Low IQ Idiot that plays charge characters Joined: Posts: 724 ✭✭✭
    i did use xplit a while ago, but it gave me a lot of problems with my sources. I guess i can give it another shot now though.