Hori Real Arcade PRO V3 "SA" Thread - (Available Now! Check OP!)

Comments

• HeihachiHeihachi Joined: Posts: 272
    That's a lot of wear for 1 months. I have madcatz te from 2009 and still looks new.

I wonder if you can put some kind of clear protective covering on v3 sa?
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    looks like someone's been churning dat butter.

Either that or an actual fucking bear plays fighting games here.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
  • joshbeansjoshbeans Joined: Posts: 1
    Is it safe to say that the wear and tear on the above stick is an extreme case? The finish on the V3 SA can't possibly wear out that fast in a month, can it?
  • jeamsujeamsu Joined: Posts: 5
    Anyone know of any good online printing options for custom art? I live in a remote area and dont have access to staples or kinkos. The only site I have found is this www.gameongraphix.com. Has anyone used this option for moding this particular stick? I'm just wondering if their polycarbonite print would be too thick and result in peeling.

I'm also wondering how you remove the art. I tried lifting the edge (without taking the case apart) and it doen't seem to lift off from the surface. Are there any tutorials with pictures showing the process?
  • syn13syn13 AKibA KiSSA Manga Cafe Toronto Joined: Posts: 1,346
    The HRAP V-series stickers don't really have a protective surface on them so the sticker will eventually start to rub off. The case itself is just like the previous HRAP plastic, matte injected plastic but more sturdier. Unless you've got something really sharp on your wrists, it should last for a very very long time(I've seen very used HRAP2 under constant heavy usage and no problems to the case).

I don't have my V3 anymore so I cannot comment on template change but I would imagine that anything from laminated label paper to vinyl(or even the pro material gameongraphix uses) should be fine for the HRAP V series sticks, I don't think the gap between the metal plate and the plastic case is THAT big and from my experiences with label paper, the adhesive used is very glue-like, giving it a secure stick(meaning a mistake applying it on will require a removal and reprint). That brings up another caution as well, plexi-glass and metal can withstand the strength of Goof-Off(glue remover), if there's residue from the original or recent template, you'll probably need to find some acetone-free chemical removal that safe on injected plastic so it doesn't eat through it.
  • tROYISMtROYISM not just an alias. Joined: Posts: 160 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I'm very possibly picking one up quite soona nd wanted to see some pics of anyone that has already done an artmod. I'm planning on using heavy stock glossy lamialabel over the metal panel with PS-14KN clear buttons as I did with my FS3

http://home.comcast.net/~troyism/FS3mod.jpg

PM me if you have any art templates or if you're seen anybody that is making plexis for this
  • We Are VenomWe Are Venom Joined: Posts: 106
    Hey guys first time poster. I have a HRAP VX-SA and I was wondering if HAPP buttons will fit in the case? This is the first stick that I've tried to mod so I dont have any dealings with HAPP buttons outside of an arcade but I know they are quite large compared to Sanwa buttons (I've swapped the Sanwa buttons on this before). If not, Seimitsu buttons should work right?

EDIT: One more thing. What's with the Seimitsu screw in buttons? Are those compatible with this and are they easy to install like the snap-ins?
    how easy/hard is it to dual-mod this stick and whats the cost roughly?
  • NatorNator Joined: Posts: 1
    I recently bought this stick off of Amazon, and only after 1 night of playing with it, the stick is squeaking when moving out of an upward position, like from up-left, up, or up-right to anything else. Do I need to re-lube the stick or something? The squeak is kind of annoying and I feel like I'm breaking it when I use it.
  • thephenomenalonethephenomenalone Joined: Posts: 580
    Could I just say how much I love this stick?

I have the rare Blazblue CS version and if you want a Vewlix layout without paying a outrageous amount for the VLX, the V3 is the way to go.
    Vampire Savior: Demitri, Jedah, Aubath, Victor
    SSF4: Guile, Cody, Dee Jay, Sakura,
    AE: Cody, Yang
    CvS 2:N-Groove-Rugal, Nakoruru, Yamazaki, Rock, Sagat, Kim, Iori, Rolento, Eagle
    Super Turbo: Bison, Guile, Dee Jay, Ryu
    Alpha 2: Guy, Rolento, Gen
    KOF 95: Eiji, Takuma, Kyo
    KOF 98: Yashiro/Mature/Kyo
    Marvel vs Capcom 3: FUCK MARVEL 3
  • GeorgeCGeorgeC Joined: Posts: 2,850
    Love the overhang grip feature of the V3 case myself.... Just wish the joystick were a bit easier to mod!

The case really has only 4 bad points where I'm concerned --
    1) Quick Disconnect covers which make it tougher to remove the OEM buttons than in previous generation HRAP cases;
    2) Absolute minimal space for removing and installing buttons. I don't have the pudgiest fingers out there but there were times I had to use a small screwdriver to push in the 30mm buttons tabs so that I could remove the buttons! Didn't have to do this before!
    3) The new universal joystick mount is somewhat awkward. Even though you have a universal mount I was disturbed by the fact that I had two spare mount screws after installing a replacement SS Mounting Plate! I know manufacturers want to economize but two screws are the bare minimum for stability's/anchoring's sake...!
    4) An unfriendly faceplate for art mods and lexan/acrylic covers. The worst thing I had to do with HRAP 3's and licensed HRAPs was glue in hex nuts for faceplate screw anchors... With this new design, you're talking a bare minimum of removing and destroying the original artwork (which you didn't have to do for most previous generation HRAPs) AND figuring out if it's even possible to use removable art/faceplate protectors with the case! If it doesn't have anchor points for button heads/cap sockets, then I don't know that lexan/acrylic covers are really worth making for this case.

All in all, this revised HRAP joystick case design is a mixed bag.

Don't get me wrong -- I like the way it looks, but is it mod-friendly?

NO!

One other issue...
    In general, it seems to be harder to find variants for the HRAP V3 series. Import stores are just not carrying all the variants. Last one I saw stocked in-States was the BlazBlue Continuum Shift (blue case) design.

The Arcana Heart 3 V3 SA was very limited (very hard now to find the PS3 version in particular for reasonable pricing), and, the newest Amazon.jp exclusive, the Green V3 SE -- I just haven't found any game store/import shop carrying that particular one, period.
  • AnnihilatorAnnihilator Joined: Posts: 20
    I just ordered one of these bad boys.
    What I'm wondering is, is it possible to mod the cover art? In this case, to put any art onto it? I'd be interesting in slapping some nice picture on mine, but don't know if that is possible at all with this model.

Also, is it possible to get illuminated Sanwa buttons? I've seen readily illuminated buttons for purchase, but not Sanwa ones.

Always wanted one where they buttons light up in colors matching the artwork when pressed.
    Just finished my Art/Button mod. It's very simple and only took about an hour. I ended up just printing 80 pound card and laminated it. Used a spray on adhesive, which worked great. Next time I think I'll try the game on graphix control panel print.

Here she is:

IMG_3216.jpg

IMG_3214-1.jpg
  • g0ldenchild562g0ldenchild562 Joined: Posts: 136
    how easy is it to install the seimitsu stick?
    Nice one jeamsu, I like the colors. How did you cut out the holes for the buttons? Wanted to ask that anyway since it seems hard to cut them out that clean, so they look nice with the buttons.

Also what template did you use? Could you give me a link?

Edit: Another question. Would these buttons: http://www.lizardlick.com/Seimitsu-PS-14-KN-30mm-Pushbutton-Blue_p_501.html fit this stick or would I need a different size?
    Sorry for the dumb question, would be nice if somebody could answer it anyway, thanks.
  • Bapex215Bapex215 Joined: Posts: 322
    how easy is it to install the seimitsu stick?

You'll need the MS mounting plate and as for the screws becareful cause they are tight.
    Any way you slice it,

You are going to end up destroying the original artwork on the HRAP V3 cases if you want new artr. There's just no way around. Unless you have a spare Viewlix acrylic cover or cutting template, you will end up mangling the original art --- either by spraying and applying new sticker art on top of the existing art, or by removing the existing art to unscrew the metal faceplate from the base.

Hori sure didn't design this case with art modding in mind...!

As for the Seimitsu mounting plates, I only have the experience with the SS Mounting Plate used for the LS-32 and LS-40 series. The other Seimitsus -- and for most, they'll probably install the LS-56-01 if not the LS-32-01 --, it'll be a bit different with the other Seimitsu mount.

I know for the SS Plate that I only used two middle screw positions to fasten it on. There were no other screw points for the remaining plate anchor screws! I also ended up using spacers (washers) to create torque to keep the screws in because the screws wouldn't go in all the way...! I tried a power drill but those screws would just not budge so I left well enough alone (with the washers).
    DCP_0833.jpg

I've had worse luck with Hori joystick cases in this sense than Mad Catz's. I never had a situation with the Mad Catz TE's where the screw threads on the mounting plates were so tight that the screws would only thread in halfway or encountered a situation where I had both a broken mounting plate screw (cheap zinc screw) AND a damaged/poorly drilled anchor plate thread on a faceplate!

Again, don't assume that because Hori has an overall higher-regarded reputation that they don't have screw-ups, too.
    If anything, the lower priced Hori joysticks are far worse to mod than anything Mad Catz has to offer. The only joystick I've modded that's a bigger pain to mod than the Hori FS series is the Agetec Dreamcast Joystick. It's only a bigger modding challenge because of the higher volume of plastic that has to be cut out just to get 30mm Sanwa's and Seimitsus installed in that case. (Of course, if you're crazy like me and follow MKL's Agetec mod guide then it becomes 3 times more difficult!) That base is still a higher preference for me because of the additional interior room and plexi/VMU screen support from Art Hong.

We're never going to see acrylic plexis for Hori FS joysticks from Art Hong. Could be the case that nobody does a plexi for the HRAP V3 but it'll depend on whether it's worth it. If a removable plexi system can't be created for the HRAP V3 because of nonexistent screw anchorage OR can't be implemented easily like the case was for most Astrocade-case HRAPs, then you have another joystick line to add that simply won't have a plexi like the Hori FS, Mad Catz SE, and most other non-Hori/non-Mad Catz TE joystick lines.
    Nice one jeamsu, I like the colors. How did you cut out the holes for the buttons? Wanted to ask that anyway since it seems hard to cut them out that clean, so they look nice with the buttons.

Also what template did you use? Could you give me a link?

Edit: Another question. Would these buttons: Lizard Lick Amusements - Seimitsu PS-14-KN, 30mm Screw-In Pushbutton, Blue fit this stick or would I need a different size?
    Sorry for the dumb question, would be nice if somebody could answer it anyway, thanks.

I just used an exacto knife (triangle blade) for cutting out the holes. You don't need to be perfect with the edges of the holes because the button will cover them.

The template I used was somewhere in this forum.

Those buttons you posted are screw in, I'm not sure if they will work or not. I used the 30mm Sanwa snap-in buttons.
    Screw-in's should work.

There have been issues with past joysticks (Mad Catz TE, etc.) where screw-ins (PS-14-K-N's) were sometimes too close to the joystick mount area or otherwise minimal room, small holes forced some plastic cutting.
    There has been a thread or two about this in the past.

All I can say is keep a razor blade/utility knife handy.... You may need to do cutting if the plastic is a bit tight on the faceplate hole. Trust me -- a razor blade/utility knife is your friend when it comes to precision modding/cutting. Don't try to do small cuts with power tools!

Screw-in's seem to be better for thicker panels at any rate. The PS-14-K-N's are default choice for anybody who wants to put art in their buttons since old style plug-in Skeleton buttons are available only through overseas arcade parts store (Akihabarashop.jp) or Rollie Electronics which sells their own Asian-style skeleton plug-in buttons...

Note: The Rollie pushbutton is a unique design and NOT a Seimitsu knock-off. There are other modders that swear by those buttons and say they're just as good as the Seimitsu and Sanwa brands. At any rate, if you're a Pearl button fanatic like me, there are some colors of Pearl's that only Rollie sells aside from paying button collectors (yes, we have some people who collect pushbuttons!) outrageous prices for out-of-production Seimitsu Pearl colors... The Rollie Pearls aren't exactly like the Seimitsu Pearls but they'll do fine with the colors you want.
  • brodbrod Joined: Posts: 4
    HORI Real Arcade Pro VX-SE (360, full Seimitsu):

horirealarcadeprovxse.th.jpg

¥14801, releases 11/25, amazon.co.jp exclusive.

Any news about a possible US release for this stick?
    Nope...

Not unless Hori USA makes a surprise announcement.

Chances are that if it's announced as a Amazon.co.jp exclusive, that's how it'll stay.

With the exception of the White HRAP 3 (another Amazon.co.jp exclusive), very few of these joysticks pop up in overseas stores. (An exception being Play-Asia which carried most HRAP 1/2/3 variants in the past for as long as their distribution agents could get their hands on production units...)
    Most people who don't do business in Japan or don't have Japanese friends end up buying them through intermediaries. That's when the mark-up starts getting ridiculous!

The economy is tighter for most of us and there's generally a lot less disposable income to throw at limited run joystick hardware. I think production runs on some of the later HRAP V3/VX variants have been lower. The Arcana Heart 3 V3/VX joystick was rumored to have a much lower production run that previous HRAP 3 variants.

For that matter, it doesn't seem like the recent HRAP V3/VX variants have had much circulation outside of Japan.

As it stands now, the HRAP V3/VX SA is the standard high-end production HRAP for Hori. They might be still making the older Astrocade-style HRAP 3's but the only SA units still in production (to my knowledge) are the black PS3 HRAP V3 SA and the white XBox 360 VX SA. Between the HRAP V3 and VX, there have been at least a half-dozen variants, most of them being sold through Amazon.co.jp ... the exceptions are the Arcana Heart 3 and BlazBlue Continuum Shift joysticks sold through the Hori Store.

I know that when the new style "Viewlix" HRAP V3's were introduced as prototypes they were labelled HRAP V3. The assumption was that all "vanilla" HRAP V3's were going to have Hori pushbuttons (the lousy buttons a lot of us pitch after buying HRAP 3's). It wasn't until after the production units reached stores that it was official that the vanilla HRAP V3/VX's were all SA (Sanwa button) models. Before this case redesign, all the HRAP SA's were limited-run models. It seems like the competition from Mad Catz TE had a beneficial side effect for people who like the Hori product line.... May have forced Hori to make the their "generic" HRAP V3/VX's all SA models.
  • Nomad_SoulNomad_Soul Joined: Posts: 2
    Any problems using this stick (HRAP v3 sa) with non-Intel chipset based PCs? I know the Mad Catz TE stick PS3 version apparently has some issues with nvidia chipset computers. Just wondering if this one works okay with nvidia. Thanks.
    Rule of thumb...

Stick to the Intel-based PC's.

I know there are fans of Athlon-based computers but the reality is that the majority of the app-development industry is in Intel's pocket, like it or not...

Heck, even Apple turned to the "Dark Side" a few years ago and dropped the PowerPC chip in favor of Intel chipsets.

We all hate being told we have to play in sandboxes with sets of rules but that's the reality of the world unless you develop something yourself that becomes a rulemaker.
  • Titan_XTitan_X 無駄 だ!!! Joined: Posts: 196
    I have an nVidia 680i motherboard and the Hori V3-SA works perfectly with it. The MadCatz FightStick TE does not.
    ~Mike (Titan_X)
    'When I first played Street Fighter II, I decided against Zangief because he always lost on the demonstration screen' – Daishi Odashima
  • blklightning21blklightning21 Ibuki and Vega Joined: Posts: 1,494
    Any way you slice it,

You are going to end up destroying the original artwork on the HRAP V3 cases if you want new artr. There's just no way around. Unless you have a spare Viewlix acrylic cover or cutting template, you will end up mangling the original art --- either by spraying and applying new sticker art on top of the existing art, or by removing the existing art to unscrew the metal faceplate from the base.

Hori sure didn't design this case with art modding in mind...!

As for the Seimitsu mounting plates, I only have the experience with the SS Mounting Plate used for the LS-32 and LS-40 series. The other Seimitsus -- and for most, they'll probably install the LS-56-01 if not the LS-32-01 --, it'll be a bit different with the other Seimitsu mount.

I know for the SS Plate that I only used two middle screw positions to fasten it on. There were no other screw points for the remaining plate anchor screws! I also ended up using spacers (washers) to create torque to keep the screws in because the screws wouldn't go in all the way...! I tried a power drill but those screws would just not budge so I left well enough alone (with the washers).
    DCP_0833.jpg

I've had worse luck with Hori joystick cases in this sense than Mad Catz's. I never had a situation with the Mad Catz TE's where the screw threads on the mounting plates were so tight that the screws would only thread in halfway or encountered a situation where I had both a broken mounting plate screw (cheap zinc screw) AND a damaged/poorly drilled anchor plate thread on a faceplate!

Again, don't assume that because Hori has an overall higher-regarded reputation that they don't have screw-ups, too.
    If anything, the lower priced Hori joysticks are far worse to mod than anything Mad Catz has to offer. The only joystick I've modded that's a bigger pain to mod than the Hori FS series is the Agetec Dreamcast Joystick. It's only a bigger modding challenge because of the higher volume of plastic that has to be cut out just to get 30mm Sanwa's and Seimitsus installed in that case. (Of course, if you're crazy like me and follow MKL's Agetec mod guide then it becomes 3 times more difficult!) That base is still a higher preference for me because of the additional interior room and plexi/VMU screen support from Art Hong.

We're never going to see acrylic plexis for Hori FS joysticks from Art Hong. Could be the case that nobody does a plexi for the HRAP V3 but it'll depend on whether it's worth it. If a removable plexi system can't be created for the HRAP V3 because of nonexistent screw anchorage OR can't be implemented easily like the case was for most Astrocade-case HRAPs, then you have another joystick line to add that simply won't have a plexi like the Hori FS, Mad Catz SE, and most other non-Hori/non-Mad Catz TE joystick lines.

Actually Hori fighting stick Plexi covers and replacement metal panels will be available from me soon. If i am able to get a v3 sa then you can also expect to see plexi covers and replacement metal panels for those as well.
    Modding solutions for you Hori RAP V3/VX SAs now available!!!!!
    Lightning Label Customs -> Arcade Sticks and Custom Metal Control Panels(TE, Hrap, V3, Custom, etc)
    The Game Surgeons -> Game System Repairs
    Thread
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-llc-metal-replacement-panels-madcatz-hori-qanba-customs-and-more.126522/
  • Nomad_SoulNomad_Soul Joined: Posts: 2
    I have an nVidia 680i motherboard and the Hori V3-SA works perfectly with it. The MadCatz FightStick TE does not.

That's very good to hear. Thank you for the reply.
    Good to hear confirmation about the chipset, too!

That's what this place is about. People have to speak up and confirm things when they're not known.

We don't all have the money to buy every stick in existence and test them on different computers... I sure as heck don't!

It's nice to be wrong about that chipset!

Sounds like Hori's reputation for multi-chip compatibility is still intact!
  • CJECJE Joined: Posts: 8
    Anyone know where I can get a PSD template for replacing the cover art on a VX SA/V3 SA? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
  • SeFSeF Joined: Posts: 2
    HI!
    Does the HRAP V3 SA work with Windows 7 64bits?
    I read that is PC compatible, but I don't felt really confident about 64bits...

I'm buying a stick for PC use only (GGPO, SSIV AE, emulators etc) and I found a good deal of this stick.
    Thanks in advance!
  • RushedDownRushedDown back in the usa Joined: Posts: 2,046
    HI!
    Does the HRAP V3 SA work with Windows 7 64bits?
    I read that is PC compatible, but I don't felt really confident about 64bits...

I'm buying a stick for PC use only (GGPO, SSIV AE, emulators etc) and I found a good deal of this stick.
    Thanks in advance!

i own one and it works on win 7 ultimate 64 bit
    so it will work fine for u
    Home Depot Vagina TM
    Xanoz says the cure for the common Emil is Semi-Tight White Pie
    RIP Harold John Grinnell 8/29/53 - 8/29/09 you will be missed dad

RushedSRK on psn and live
  • SeFSeF Joined: Posts: 2
    i own one and it works on win 7 ultimate 64 bit
    so it will work fine for u

Thanks! ;D
  • GriizzlyKGriizzlyK Im free Joined: Posts: 26
    would you be able to put a plexi cover on this stick if anyone has could you let me know where you got it from
    I wish the plexis were available! I have art ideas for this otherwise wonderful joystick. I love the narrow "widescreen" ratio faceplate. Enables some really epic widescreen to be used with this joystick that just doesn't fit on narrower faceplates.

Here's hoping blklightning or Art Hong get product support/plexis out for this joystick by Quarter 4 this year!

The HRAP V3/VX series has been on the market for almost 18 months now! I'm frankly surprised that a plexi isn't in production for this otherwise wonderful joystick base.

It has its flaws --- tell me what in-production or past production series joystick case DOESN'T have its issues(!) --- but it's a nice form factor, the best alternative to the Mad Catz TE, generally more reliable than other production joystick (including Mad Catz's), and can be had at better online deals most times than the Mad Catz TE... I've even seen a local computer parts store start to carry the Hori HRAP V3 SA!

I definitely plan on buying another HRAP V3 to mod in the future... when I can spare the cash for it!
  • Ungesehener ZornUngesehener Zorn Medium Rare Joined: Posts: 103
    Hey guys I have an Real Arcade Pro V3 SA and first off a fantastic stick and I'm glad I bought it. I have no interest in removing any buttons or the joystick because they go with the artwork I have made for it already. But I was wondering is there a tutorial video someone can point me towards on how to place custom artwork on this bad boy? I'm hopeless when it comes to this stuff and I'm not comfortable diving into a new stick without at least watching a video.
    Your fiery fighting almost wilted my rosy beauty

PSNID: Unseen_Fury
    Your signature has been modifed, please read the rules.
  • exspesexspes Joined: Posts: 96
    Hey guys, just bought this stick, should be getting it next week. Looking to get the jump on putting some art on it ;) I tried getting the template that was posted a few pages back but the link is broken :( could anyone reupload?
    PSN: aeonfusion PC: exspes
    AE: Cammy, Adon (i play quite a few others too)
    BB: Hazama
    xT: Cammy/Rufus
    Hey guys, just bought this stick, should be getting it next week. Looking to get the jump on putting some art on it ;) I tried getting the template that was posted a few pages back but the link is broken :( could anyone reupload?
    2nd'd please repost template
  • exspesexspes Joined: Posts: 96
    Found it here, on a different part of the forum. Now to get to work, my v3 shall be here tomorrow :D
    PSN: aeonfusion PC: exspes
    AE: Cammy, Adon (i play quite a few others too)
    BB: Hazama
    xT: Cammy/Rufus
    I would like to mod mine. I always eyed the LED mods of other fightsticks. Can somebody tell me which Sanwa buttons I could use that are compatible with LED mods, and what else I would need? I think you also need an LED control board. Are there tutorials for this stick on soldering or LED button mods that I could look up? I'm pretty clueless on where to start. Any help regarding that would be very much appreciated.
    Edit: Actually, are there ANY tutorials? I can't find any, and I don't know what to do to start.
  • TRiXWoNTRiXWoN Solder Soldier in the 6 Button Army Joined: Posts: 1,070
    Anyone know of any good online printing options for custom art? I live in a remote area and dont have access to staples or kinkos. The only site I have found is this www.gameongraphix.com. Has anyone used this option for moding this particular stick? I'm just wondering if their polycarbonite print would be too thick and result in peeling.

I used them back when they were called mamemarquees.com Excellent product. If you have felt American control panels, its the same stuff, While it is thick its not overly so. and the adhesive is strong.
    ::Mod till your heart's content::