The Legend of Zelda thread - Master Sword? Light Arrows? Tunics? Nah son. I'm fighting Ganon naked!

Comments

• SanoSano SRKSANO on PS4 Joined: Posts: 12,955 mod
  • ioio Joined: Posts: 1,420
    The past few zeldas have sucked. Nintendo needs to follow capcom's lead and do a new 8-bit zelda in LOZ style.
    (you're == you are) != your
  • SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 17,591
    ^ an 8 bit Zelda? I don't know...that sounds not as appealing as playing 8-bit MM to me. I suppose it would have to be dependent on how it was done.

Hey Sano...Nintendo shut down that fan film.

Nintendo Pulls Plug on Zelda Fan Film:
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/105/1057971p1.html
  • WellmanWellman Joined: Posts: 3,831
    The past few zeldas have sucked. Nintendo needs to follow capcom's lead and do a new 8-bit zelda in LOZ style.

Crack is whack, my friend, crack is whack.

The OG Zelda was great, but no one wants to see that again, besides they actually redid it back in SNES days in Japan on Nintendo's satellite system or something.

What Nintendo needs to do is reuse the Wind Waker graphics, shit is still to this day one of the best cel shading I have ever seen done on a console. They've done nice stuff with the DS games, but I would love to see that beautiful animation that the GC was displaying in all its glory in WW, pushed further along. With maybe less ocean.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    And you have absolutely...
    Been found wanting.
    Welcome to the New World. God save you, if it is right that he should do so.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • CyntalanCyntalan Av comes from my child's math homework - no joke Joined: Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ^ an 8 bit Zelda? I don't know...that sounds not as appealing as playing 8-bit MM to me. I suppose it would have to be dependent on how it was done.

Pff... two weeks it took Nintendo to put a stop on it after its release. That's roughly 13 days too slow for someone to put a stop on something being released on the internet. You know it's being torrented harder than the Star Wars Christmas Special right about now.
    ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ PRAISE HELIX ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

"NO! NOT LIKE THIS!" - Random audience member, Evo 2k9 SC4 finals. Go Hilde!
    "You are a weird, adorable little man, OZ." - Vynce
    "I violated marc but we definitely cool now." - dre37k

Wow. A fan film? That's random. :rofl: Nintendo's wild like that sometimes.

"OMG THEY KILLED THE ZELDA MOVIE! YOU BASTARDS!" :rofl:
  • King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

I don't think that's necessary, although if they did do that, they had better include a Second Quest. Hell, do that anyway with the newer Zeldas. What I really want is a straight-up Zelda game, 8-bit or otherwise.

I beat Spirit Tracks yesterday. I'm done with these versions of Zelda.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 13,078 mod
    I beat Spirit Tracks yesterday. I'm done with these versions of Zelda.

Your thoughts on the train part of the last boss?
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 
  • CyntalanCyntalan Av comes from my child's math homework - no joke Joined: Posts: 7,912 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

...wat? :wtf:

Seriously? A train segment in the middle of the fucking final boss?

Glad I fucking stopped playing. Got to a point that truly pissed me off so much I refuse to go further. It was in the 4th segment of the Spirit Temple, where you had to fire an arrow through a series of those redirectors, one of which the Phantom was supposed to hold up. The problem was that I had, in the process of figuring out how, isolated myself on a place surrounded by lava death, and the Phantom holding said redirector... but couldn't put it down. As far as I can tell, the only way to make the Phantom put it down is to leave the floor, as I spent a good hour trying to find out. My only choice was to meet my liquid hot magma fate... to which I had to do the whole thing over. After I found out this, I said "fuck it" and put it down for good.

Seriously, fuck Spirit Tracks.

You mean the part that played like an unfun version of Pac-Man? Or the part that came after?
    The train boss seemed easy enough. The part where you had to change tracks so you don't collide into him had me stumped (I guess I didn't stop fast enough, or was I supposed to speed up?), but it wasn't a one-hit kill so it wasn't too bad. I actually like the boss battle after that, where you had to make your way to Zelda's body.

Oh, and when I learned I had to play the flute during the very last battle...I wasn't impressed.

@Cyntalan: You can make Zelda drop whatever she's holding by hitting her with something.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
    Wow. A fan film? That's random. :rofl: Nintendo's wild like that sometimes.

"OMG THEY KILLED THE ZELDA MOVIE! YOU BASTARDS!" :rofl:

That makes me wonder if they're going to attack There Will Be Brawl as well.

As soon as I'm done with M&L, I'm going to pop in Spirit Tracks and play it. The game is really that frustrating?
    That makes me wonder if they're going to attack There Will Be Brawl as well.

As soon as I'm done with M&L, I'm going to pop in Spirit Tracks and play it. The game is really that frustrating?

For me it was to a degree, but ultimately, it was more annoying than anything. The train crap was so agonizing it hardly made the game worth playing everything else that could have been good about it, and my above example was just the icing on the cake for me. Call me crazy, but I think it's an unforgivable oversight to have a method in which the only way out of the situation you're in is to kill yourself/reset. Of course, if I'm proven wrong and there IS some way to make the Phantom drop the redirector, then I'll take back the unforgivable oversight accusation, but I spent a good long while trying to find out how with no avail. Every interaction with the Phantom is "guide and assume", so any object interaction requires an object to interact with... there didn't seem to be an "object" anywhere that would interact w/ the Phantom after that was in hand.

Honestly, I don't understand why, if they programmed in the "switch" button between Link and Phantom, that they didn't just let you fucking control the Phantom instead of give it orders. That whole process was on the annoying side, and I'd constantly fuck up and accidentally switch back to Link forgetting that I had to draw a fucking line for the Phantom to follow. That would've solved the whole problem I had above in the first place.

• ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 13,078 mod
    You mean the part that played like an unfun version of Pac-Man? Or the part that came after?
    The train boss seemed easy enough. The part where you had to change tracks so you don't collide into him had me stumped (I guess I didn't stop fast enough, or was I supposed to speed up?), but it wasn't a one-hit kill so it wasn't too bad. I actually like the boss battle after that, where you had to make your way to Zelda's body.

Oh, and when I learned I had to play the flute during the very last battle...I wasn't impressed.

@Cyntalan: You can make Zelda drop whatever she's holding by hitting her with something.

Couldn't agree more with the whole thing. I fucking HATED the flute in the last battle. I wanted to throw my DS out the window.
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 

like what? Like, chuck a pot at her? In the place I was in, it was isolated totally, on higher ground than her, and I was out of inventory at the time, which is why I failed at finishing the puzzle. I don't think I actually HAD anything to hit her with with the difference in height.

like what? Like, chuck a pot at her? In the place I was in, it was isolated totally, on higher ground than her, and I was out of inventory at the time, which is why I failed at finishing the puzzle. I don't think I actually HAD anything to hit her with with the difference in height.

Yeah, you can hit her with pretty much anything. You could try tossing bombs at her if you have any.
    Yeah, you can hit her with pretty much anything. You could try tossing bombs at her if you have any.
    I didn't have any at the time. :sweat:

Regardless of how much I fucked myself over, I can't think of an instance in a past Zelda where the only choice remaining was to jump in the pit and start over. I noticed in almost every other isolated setup they had something that'd drop an item refill of some sort in order to bail yourself out at the very least, but not in this case. :bluu:

It was the last straw in this, and hearing about shit like train fights and mid-fight flute playing only makes me not want to pick it up again even more.

New Zelda coming Q4 2010? (Warning: Kotaku): http://kotaku.com/5441242/report-new-zelda-out-by-end-of-2010-first-ds-successor-details
    Kotaku wrote:
    The paper also noted that the newest Legend of Zelda sequel will go on sale before the end of 2010 with no note whether this refers only to Japan. The game was first announced at the E3 game expo in Los Angeles back in 2009.

They quoted a reliable source, so it's not them talking out of their ass.
  • Shadow Ace 50Shadow Ace 50 Chaos Control A hoe Joined: Posts: 2,377
    is it me or is twilight princess the easiest zelda game ever created...everything was self-explanatory even if this was your first zelda..

the hardest is link's awakening on the game boy..using no guides
    Prayer Changes Things-
    "Spades and Yu-Gi-Oh are pretty much the same game" -Big G.
    AE: Vega/Fuerte/DJ SFxT: Vega/King KOFXII: Kensou/King/Terry
  • DarthTreyDarthTrey Sabaku Taiso!!! Joined: Posts: 924
    is it me or is twilight princess the easiest zelda game ever created...everything was self-explanatory even if this was your first zelda..

the hardest is link's awakening on the game boy..using no guides

imo Zelda 2 was the hardest, the sidescrolling shit had me pissed and i could never seem to find where to go......

but other than that they are never very hard to me anyways. I think the only ones i haven't played are the oracles and the ds games.

Ima get flamed for this but i feel TP is second only to OoT /cringe. Followed closely by LttP
    Say hello to your mother for me.
    The hardest Zelda game for me is Oracle of Seasons, without using guides. Figuring out the puzzles was super hard.
    New Zelda coming Q4 2010? (Warning: Kotaku): http://kotaku.com/5441242/report-new-zelda-out-by-end-of-2010-first-ds-successor-details

They quoted a reliable source, so it's not them talking out of their ass.

Yeah, it is a legit quote

Although, I hope Iwata is bullshitting on them actually getting the next Zelda out by 2010. The fact is, given all we've seen or even heard about the game has been one vague poster image and conflicting accounts from Miyamoto and Aonuma, I don't think concert development has been going on for long. So a 2010 release may mean we could be getting a rushed game (probably simplified for all audiences as well), instead of the well crafted masterpieces we've gotten with previous Zelda games.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    Been found wanting.
    - A Knight's Tale

Although, I hope Iwata is bullshitting on them actually getting the next Zelda out by 2010. The fact is, given all we've seen or even heard about the game has been one vague poster image and conflicting accounts from Miyamoto and Aonuma, I don't think concert development has been going on for long. So a 2010 release may mean we could be getting a rushed game (probably simplified for all audiences as well), instead of the well crafted masterpieces we've gotten with previous Zelda games.

The thing is, we don't know how long this game has been in development. For all we know, they might have started work on the next game right after TP was released. Nintendo isn't known to rush games. There's a chance the game could get delayed.

ppffft...Nintendo? Rushed? Zelda? please...Miyamoto ain't having that lol. If there's so much as a speck out of place that Miyamoto doesn't like the he's going to 'upend the tea table' and end up delaying the game.
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,589
    OOT>Oracle>LTTP>the rest.

Was anyone disappointed with TP? it was great and I liked all the ideas in it but it just wasn't as fun as most other zeldas IMO.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
    OOT>Oracle>LTTP>the rest.

Was anyone disappointed with TP? it was great and I liked all the ideas in it but it just wasn't as fun as most other zeldas IMO.

Not enough new content. Great looks, the wolf thing was interesting but as a whole, they didn't really add a lot to it that was memorable.
    You have been weighed.
    You have been measured.
    Been found wanting.
    - A Knight's Tale
  • FatalFuryDFatalFuryD Feint Cancel Addict Joined: Posts: 956
    I played since Zelda II, never played the first Zelda. I'll get around to it, someday..

THE THREAD TITLE BETTER BE A JOKE YOU ASSHOLES

ahem. I got to play a bit of TP at my buddy's and I think the control sucks. It might be better now that we have wiimotion plus.
    My Eternal Fighter Zero cmv, match footages and tutorial vid:
    http://youtube.com/user/seaechiowai
    (Latest update: 7 Jan 2010)
    Inuie G. Choi
    ^ No TP's controls won't get better if you're talking about waggle for sword swipes.
    Reggie: New Zelda Wii Title Has To Be Perfect
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1060447p1.html

uh huh...There's no way I'm expecting this to show up in 2010.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,675 admin
    Reggie: New Zelda Wii Title Has To Be Perfect
    http://wii.ign.com/articles/106/1060447p1.html

uh huh...There's no way I'm expecting this to show up in 2010.

I'm thinking holiday season...for Japan at least.

Anyway, LttP is my favorite (also my first I still remember how many times I died when I finally beat that game and that was about...12 years ago), after that they aren't in any particular order but I did like MM better than OoT and TP was good for the story line (big Zelda lore fangirl), the ending, and Midina, but it was too easy. I wish Nintendo would get beyond the three hit for most boss battles.
    I still gotta finish up both lttp and MM at some piont....so many games I eventually have to just sit down and finish.
  • Lt_Col_SandersLt_Col_Sanders White Castle Stormer Joined: Posts: 559
    How are the two games for the DS? I was thinking about picking up either Spirit Tracks or Phantom Hour Glass tomorrow, but I don't know which one to pick up over the other. All the reviews say they're pretty much the same. Oh, and OOT and MM were much better with the "wow" factor than TP was. TP was a good game, but it just didn't have what the two N64 iterations had. I still need to play Windwaker and LTTP.
    You might like Phantom Hourglass. Some hated the "do this same temple over and over" crap, but other than that, it's enjoyable. A few stupid gimmicks, the removal of all things overworld exploration in favor of setting a route and playing a minigame, but fun if what you like are the dungeon/puzzle aspects.

Spirit Tracks?

Fuck Spirit Tracks.

You might like Phantom Hourglass. Some hated the "do this same temple over and over" crap, but other than that, it's enjoyable. A few stupid gimmicks, the removal of all things overworld exploration in favor of setting a route and playing a minigame, but fun if what you like are the dungeon/puzzle aspects.

Spirit Tracks?

Fuck Spirit Tracks.

Despite the hate above, Spirit Tracks is technically better than Phantom Hourglass. There's no timed dungeon, and you never have to revisit the same floors. The dungeon designs are also much better than Phantom Hourglass' stuff. The only real knocks against Spirit Tracks are the boring train rides and the late-game pan flute BS. The problem with both PH and ST are the travelling gimmicks. Your only mode of travel on the overworld map is the boat (PH) and the train (ST). The travelling isn't interesting in either game; it's enough to keep me away from the DS Zeldas until I see a straight-up Zelda game.

Spirit Tracks?

Fuck Spirit Tracks.

Despite the hate above, Spirit Tracks is technically better than Phantom Hourglass. There's no timed dungeon, and you never have to revisit the same floors. The dungeon designs are also much better than Phantom Hourglass' stuff. The only real knocks against Spirit Tracks are the boring train rides and the late-game pan flute BS. The problem with both PH and ST are the travelling gimmicks. Your only mode of travel on the overworld map is the boat (PH) and the train (ST). The travelling isn't interesting in either game; it's enough to keep me away from the DS Zeldas until I see a straight-up Zelda game.

Play LTTP ASAP.

Play LTTP ASAP.

Bah, the only thing they fixed going from PH to Spirit Tracks was redo-a-dungeon. Aside from that Spirit Tracks is virtually identical to PH in gameplay quirks and overworld nonsense. The way I see it, if none of the shit bothered you in PH except the redo-a-dungeon, you'll probably enjoy Spirit Tracks more. If ANYTHING bothered you on any level in PH besides the redo-a-dungeon, expect it all to return and more obnoxiously (Nintendo really needs to stop with the mic gimmick bullshit).

• Lt_Col_SandersLt_Col_Sanders White Castle Stormer Joined: Posts: 559

Play LTTP ASAP.

Glad I took your advice. Just finished the tower and got the Master Sword. Now I see why this game gets so much love. Time to pry myself away from the keyboard and bury my nose back into my ds.
  • rogueyoshirogueyoshi Nothing Comes Easy Joined: Posts: 1,927
    yall should play lttp 2 aka minish cap. it's short for a zelda game, but really good.
    nignagnog: minority report
    nignagnog: you got punished for your future crimes
    BossG: anybody that's black already suffers under pre-crime laws
    I just finished helping my girl finish Twilight Princess and trying to teach her one of the main fundamentals of the game (enter a room...if the solution isn't readily obvious then look around). She was still having difficulties playing through the game which confuses the hell out of me since she says she beat God of War on Hard. TP was the easiest Zelda I've had the pleasure of playing IMO. The only time I needed help was the second part of that cube puzzle in the Yeti's Castle and that Statue moving puzzle right before the Master Sword.

I also started up Majora's Mask on the Wii's VC as a sort of side project for myself. Kinda sad that this game is forever going to live in OoT's shadow.
    Hey does anyone know what you have to do to get the Great Fairy sword in Majora's Mask? I'm running around the water temple now and I'm just wondering if it's possible for me to go do the whole fetch quest thing for it that I'm sure is there to get it.
    *drops a fairy on the thread*

So E3 has come and gone and the new Zelda was shown. Miyamoto had interference issues on the stage but everything works as it should. What are people's thoughts so far on Skyward Sword? Hype for it? In the increasingly popular 'oh look it's a sequal/rehash/remake' camp? Want to send some hate mail to Miyamoto and co. for making Link right handed? Discuss!

Edit:

oh yeah and how about the OoT remake for the 3DS? The fact that they're actually rebuilding this game could be pretty awesome.
  • DHEvilDHEvil Joined: Posts: 2,365
    There will never be a Zelda better than Majora's Mask. OoT is given way too much credit in the same way that FF7 is given too much. Sure, something like OoT was never seen before, but in terms of the quality of the gameplay, the story and atmosphere, MM trumps OoT soundly.

Skyward Sword is looking very pretty. Graphical fidelity is, despite common opinion against the opposite, a very important aspect of enjoyment of an interactive title. This is the most aesthetically pleasing Zelda title I have ever seen.
    BUHSSA WUHF!!
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 8,805
    Link's Awakening without a doubt is the best. better than MM which I liked over OoT which I liked over LttP and so forth. Unless I course we consider OoA and OoS a complete game.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    looks like Skyward Sword is officially not coming out until early 2011. Miyamoto mentioned that they wanted to have at least that much time but now Aounuma is saying early 2011 for sure.
  • nano5896nano5896 BlightedAgent Joined: Posts: 282
    There will never be a Zelda better than Majora's Mask. OoT is given way too much credit in the same way that FF7 is given too much. Sure, something like OoT was never seen before, but in terms of the quality of the gameplay, the story and atmosphere, MM trumps OoT soundly.
    What I really like about MM is the atmosphere. It's very dark.

My favorite Zelda games in order

1. Ocarina of Time
    2. Twilight Princess
    3. Majora's Mask
    4. A Link to the Past
    5. Phantom Hourglass

I'm playing Spirit Tracks right now, but I hadn't played it for a month since I had WarioWare: DIY (I recommend having this game)
  • AQUA-PURAAQUA-PURA @theasianloner Joined: Posts: 1,634
    I loved OoT and TP. Soundtrack to both are great. I especially enjoyed the song in TP: Desperate Hour[/url]. Good stuff. I came across this girl who can play it just as good: YouTube - Zelda: Twilight Princess - Midna's Desperate Hour (Piano) You guys should check out her other stuff [url=http://www.youtube.com/user/waltzforluma . Phantom Hourglass is good as well. Except for the puzzle inside the ghost ship. That was a bit of a problem. I mean, I got it, but somehow it was some other numbers.

Wow... Thank you for posting her vids, this stuff is crazy...

I can't beat the last dungeon on LTTP.. =[
    Actually, I can't even go through the first floor... and there's like 8 of them!
    "DingDangDoom... BITCH MAKE ROOM!" - DDD
    Actually...thinking about which version of ALttP should I play? GBA or SNES/VC? I know there's a but for the most part it's pretty much a port.

Speaking of that, OoT 3D will mark the first time Nintendo has actually gone back and pretty much completely redid a game in this series IIRC. This game will make so much money if it's within a 3 week window of the launch of the 3DS that it's going to be ridiculous. Perhaps if enough people ask for it they might go back and completely redo MM?
  • Stuart HaydenStuart Hayden Outspoken User. Joined: Posts: 11,639
    The Game Boy Color games (Links Awakening, Oracle titles) have always been better than the console Zelda's to me. I just enjoyed the stories, characters and atmospheres more. It's not "Oh, hey guess what? Ganon is back for no real reason. Go to get the tri-force". They're actually original games.
    R.I.P Seth Michael Hayden
    R.I.P Troy Lane Rogers

Fuck Dan Marino
    Fuck $RK

www.breakdancingrobot.com
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    Actually...thinking about which version of ALttP should I play? GBA or SNES/VC? I know there's a but for the most part it's pretty much a port.
    Should play the SNES 1 first really just cuz...well...it's the one that everyone fell in love with. It's just awesome and should be seen in it's original form with no tampering or added stuff to it. Thats my opinion though.

As for remakes SF64 is technically a remake of Star Fox on SNES> I guess it doesn't really count though cuz a lot's different between the two games here. I think it's hilarious though that Star Fox 3DS is a remake of a remake.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony
    Alright I'll dl it on VC at some point then. I already have enough games to play as it is right now lol. Thanks for the input Radiant.
  • Radiantsilvergun3Radiantsilvergun3 Smooth Criminal Joined: Posts: 11,277
    Yea no problem man. have fun with it. Games wonderful. It's graphical style still blows me away to this day. It's so colorful, vibrant and realized in much the same way as super Metroid.
    RoninChaos: A snap back is when you pimp slap a bitch with your back hand, and snap back around to catch her with the front.

In this one and only life, I fear not death but monotony