The Legend of Zelda thread - Master Sword? Light Arrows? Tunics? Nah son. I'm fighting Ganon naked!

Comments

• King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,787 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 19
    Hah, I just recognized the music in Eldin. Nice.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 22,652
    edited March 19
    About weight... There is no weight limit per se, but Link does run, climb, and swim faster if you don't have any weapons equipped... He also swims and climbs faster naked, unless you have the requisite gear that makes those actions faster.

And, of course, certain weapons have different attack speeds and combos...
    Found the white horse... Had no idea it was so close to the stable where the old guy mentions it, plus the memory...

Now I'm off Guardian hunting, so I can get all the Ancient gear.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    edited March 19
    I'm pretty sure you move slower in snow and sand, too. You can find special gear to help with that.

Protip: try giving rusty weapons to Rock Octoroks.
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 Frame Data Wizard Joined: Posts: 19,939
    edited March 19
    The one downside to getting a bunch of weapons with high durability.

My weapons aren't breaking very often now, but I keep coming across cool weapons; I want to carry 'em all but I can't :rofl:

My current stash:

WVW69kKqLV4JE7VEuJ

EDIT: This is pretty cool. Minor spoilers for one of the dungeons though:
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Juri, Chun-li (buff plz)
    Smash 4: Fox, Cloud, Corrin
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV SRK Lounge Bingo! (Season 2)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)

My weapons aren't breaking very often now, but I keep coming across cool weapons; I want to carry 'em all but I can't :rofl:

My current stash:

WVW69kKqLV4JE7VEuJ

Tell me about it. I have Royal Bows out the ass.
    edited March 19
    I love the Blizzard Rod.

Oh there's a camp of 6 enemies up ahead? Lemme go ahead and freeze 'em all in one attack and then shatter them to pieces with their own clubs :rofl:

Blizzard swords/spears are pretty good too, only enemies it doesn't really work against are the Lynels and the Guardian type enemies (I think).

EDIT: Well, the ice weapons work on the basic ones you find in the trials at least.

Also took out my first mobile Guardian. Shot it in the eye with a shock arrow to get it to stay still, cut off all of its arms with a Guardian Sword, then stood right in front of it and parried its laser back at its face while it sat there helplessly.

Screw the Lynels, Guardians are the most satisfying enemies to beat down. Though I suddenly have this weird craving for a Samurai Jack game...
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

I didn't know a Stalnox (skeletal Hinox) existed until now. Found it at Hyrule Forest Park.
    edited March 20
    King9999 wrote: »
    I didn't know a Stalnox (skeletal Hinox) existed until now. Found it at Hyrule Forest Park.

Those are pretty fun. Not necessarily the toughest enemy but it's funny some of the things it does to fight you :rofl:

Also, seems that the Zora that trades 10 luminous stones for one Diamond is kind of a rip-off, at least as far as rupees are concerned; 10 luminous stones = 700 rupees, compared to 500 rupees for one Diamond. It's only really useful if you want a Diamond as part of repairing the Lightscale Trident.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 17,758
    edited March 20

My current stash:

EDIT: This is pretty cool. Minor spoilers for one of the dungeons though:

That solution is amazing...God this game man.
    edited March 20

Those are pretty fun. Not necessarily the toughest enemy but it's funny some of the things it does to fight you :rofl:

Dude ripped it's own arm off to club me with... I lol'd, then threw it's eye into a nearby campfire.

Also lol'd at the Guardian Stalker that incinerated two Chuchu and a Stalkoblin, only to get it's laser parried right back through all the corpses into its face.

I still think Lynels are more fun due to the Mexican standoffs you can get into... "We doin' this or not, brah?"

Speaking of Lynel fighting:

"Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
    po pimpus wrote: »

Dude ripped it's own arm off to club me with... I lol'd, then threw it's eye into a nearby campfire.

Mine ripped a part of its own back off and threw it at me as a projectile. :rofl:
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

So, you know how enemies get resurrected during a Blood Moon? This apparently extends to Shrine Guardians as well.

So if you want more Guardian weapons, hit up those Tests of Strength shrines every Blood Moon cycle.

This is good to know. I need one of their weapons for a side quest.

Finished the game just now. My one question about Zelda was answered...
    I was wondering if she was old if she had been keeping Ganon sealed for 100 years. I'm a bit disappointed it wasn't the case. Would've been interesting, at least.

Now I'm going to complete the remaining shrines and sidequests. Also want to find that last memory. Seems pretty hard to find if it's within Hyrule Castle.
  • FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,200
    I'm pretty hooked on this game. I just got a house which meant to do a while ago, but just....kept....exploring.....

Speaking of exploring I'm looking for the blue flame for the

lab technician in Akkla village

any leads onto this. I also didn't know you could equip weapons to help you with certain parts. I need to head back to the volcano and equipe the frost sword I have. I accidently equipped the fire sword in this one snow region up north and saw that it warmed me. I might have read about it here though?
    Femto wrote: »
    I'm pretty hooked on this game. I just got a house which meant to do a while ago, but just....kept....exploring.....

any leads onto this. I also didn't know you could equip weapons to help you with certain parts. I need to head back to the volcano and equipe the frost sword I have. I accidently equipped the fire sword in this one snow region up north and saw that it warmed me. I might have read about it here though?

Blue flame in akkala

IIRC there is a nearby mountain/hill that that has the blue flame on it. It has lamps you can light and it also has moblins and bokoblins that are around that will probably mess with your trek.
    edited March 21
    Am I the only one who drops a rock on the head of a Korok when I find one underneath it? It's kinda cute how they react :rofl:
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

edited March 21
    I've really started looking forward to Blood Moons now. I marked key enemy camp sites/Lynel locations on my map so every time it happens and I want to stock up on my favorite weapon type, I charge over there. Found a camp full of Lizalfos that gives me at least 3 of the Tri-forked Boomerangs, my favorite weapon in the game, and they often come with either a critical hit bonus or + durability (the latter is good 'cause that particular weapon is annoyingly flimsy for how much I love it).

...I just wish I had room for those and all the other cool stuff I keep finding...I hate having to leave weapons behind. :sad:

Makes me really appreciate the weapon durability system in this game. Makes me want to use every single item I find, right down to the Lizalfos arms or a random Soup Ladle.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

edited March 21
    Nope, the durability system sucks because I'm an uncreative scrub who can't think outside the box and only wants to mash on the sword button... I don't know how to actually fight, so I can't beat anyone with a decent weapon... And I haven't left the plateau, so the only weapons I have are shitty Boko bats and wooden bows that break after 10 uses that I burn through fast because I like rolling my face over the sword button like its a regular Zelda game...

Even though I've been complaining about combat being an afterthought in every single game since Zelda II...

I TINK ZERUDA GET STALE...
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,966
    Man Zelda II really did have gdlk combat for an NES game.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    Oh, and then I bitch about the one game before BotW that actually made me think about combat outside of mashing A, because it had the audacity to ask me to hold the wiimote in the proper direction...

Skyward Sword was a breath of fresh air, combat-wise...
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 19,966
    Skyward Sword was so awesome. That first Girahim (sp?) fight was super fun because it forced you to level up. Top 10 Zelda boss fight imo.
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
    edited March 21
    Nope, the durability system sucks because I'm an uncreative scrub who can't think outside the box and only wants to mash on the sword button... I don't know how to actually fight, so I can't beat anyone with a decent weapon...

Jim Stirling in a nutshell. :rofl:

Also seems Angry Joe made a BotW review after all...praising the heck out of the game.

I haven't watched it (don't need him to tell me how good the game is) but I scrolled through the comments to see what other people felt about the game...only to find a bunch of people saying that the game was shit and people that like it are just manchildren who should play real games.

Why did I expect anything more from youtube comments. Or a better question, why did I even look through them to begin with :rofl:
    Post edited by LordWilliam1234 on
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Why are right-wingers so sensitive? Joined: Posts: 5,266
    edited March 21
    there's a silver lynel in the plains near the faron sea (i think thats what its called) that has a giant club where even perfect dodges can still get you hit (which means you're dead lol)

he also smashed the ground and that shattered my shield. this lynel isnt screwing around. i think there's another one near by too
    Post edited by Necrotrophic on
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    Sonichuman wrote: »
    Femto wrote: »

Blue flame in akkala

IIRC there is a nearby mountain/hill that that has the blue flame on it. It has lamps you can light and it also has moblins and bokoblins that are around that will probably mess with your trek.

Thanks! I found it right after I posted that, haha.

Did a side quest that resulted that involved me jumping of the side of the mountain to deliver the final blow on a cursed Dragon. I really needed arrows and had to fast travel back to a village to buy some for the final part. Working on my third stamina wheel.

Not really worried about hearts right now, but I'll get to those after I complete the third wheel or possibly fourth one.
    You know...its funny. I said I was gonna go into Gerudo and I was only in there for the briefest of moments before my ADD took me to the top middle of the map lol.
    there's a silver lynel in the plains near the faron sea (i think thats what its called) that has a giant club where even perfect dodges can still get you hit (which means you're dead lol)

he also smashed the ground and that shattered my shield. this lynel isnt screwing around. i think there's another one near by too

I posted a video earlier of a dude going over how to fight those Lynels. One of his big mentions was to not dodge, but parry most of his attacks to not get your gear insta-shattered.
    ...anyone here been to the Coliseum Ruins and heard the piano piece that plays there? I swear bits of it sound familiar but I can't pinpoint if it is indeed a reference to something or if it's an original piece...
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

...anyone here been to the Coliseum Ruins and heard the piano piece that plays there? I swear bits of it sound familiar but I can't pinpoint if it is indeed a reference to something or if it's an original piece...

It's the same song that plays at the Temple of Time.
    It's the Song of Time, but played very, very slowly.
    edited March 22

It's the same song that plays at the Temple of Time.
    It's the Song of Time, but played very, very slowly.

I swear it's a different tune. I picked up on the one at the Temple of Time right away but this one seems different.

I'll have to double check again, 'cause it's driving me nuts. :rofl:

EDIT: Yep, it's an entirely different tune.

EDIT 2: I...just got a blood moon event but it wasn't at midnight and it happened with no warning. I just killed a Hinox on a cliff Northeast of the Samasa Plain; after taking his loot (he dropped two Royal Broadswords with 58 power and a Royal Claymore with 71 power :wow: ) I walked to the cliff edge to see what was there...and suddenly the Blood Moon effects appeared and immediately the cutscene played. Yet it was only 6:45 PM. And indeed, the Hinox I had just taken out was revived.

I wonder if it was a bug, or if it's something that may happen if you take out enough monsters that were already revived by the Blood Moon...either way it was weird.
    Post edited by LordWilliam1234 on
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• DavidstarDavidstar KILLA KUEEN! Joined: Posts: 4,928
    Go kick a chest naked
    Did you see that Zack? Clear as a crisp spring morning... FK....in the signature. I knew i could count on it. It never fails
    Davidstar wrote: »
    Go kick a chest naked

Oooold.

Crouch while opening a chest from behind. That one was cool too

edited March 22
    Was searching out another Great Fairy... didn't find her, but ran across a bunch of Koroks, elemental arrows, and rupees along the beach to the north of Lanaryu Bay. Murdered a Hinox and also fought a Luminous Talus... apparently it drops more Luminous Stones than its regular kin... So if you're looking to sell or trade them for Diamonds to recreate champion weapons, there's your guy.

By the way, IS there a Great Fairy in the Zora region, or am I wasting my time?
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Peeps are STILL butthurt over weapon breaks? I thought it was painfully obvious from the get go that BOTW was not gonna be like other Zelda games. I mean, it's not like we can't find other weapons or, I dunno, fight by other means. You know what I do to extend the life line of my weapons? Take the heads of Stalfos skeletons and chuck them into the water or off a high cliff. Or take their arms and beat them to death with them, which makes for some great irony.

I LOVE raiding camps and finding out what is in that treasure chest. Is it rupees? Arrows, a shield? Who freaking knows! Since the enemies in this game actually sleep, you can always sneak up on them for the stealth kill. Or you can use bombs as distractions to draw them out. Push boulders on them, drop metal crates on them. But naaaaaaw, people just wanna always rush in with swords all the time and then cry when the weapon breaks because swinging stuff around is the only way people know how to fight. Or! Or! Get this! We can avoid some fights entirely! This game lets you pick and choose so many of your battles.

I ran into my first flying Guardians the other night while trying to climb one of those towers to get more of the map. Either my current armor is pretty good or I didn't take a dirtect hit from the laser because it didn't even take three hearts worth of damage. I'm gonna go back there so I can use them for practice so I can get used to battling them.

My second fight with a Lynel went over MUCH better than my first. My first was like "I JUST CAN'T!!!" This time I was like WHAT, YOU WANNA GO?! LET'S DO THIS!!!" I parried some of his attacks and dodge him and took him out quicker. And I was a bit disappoited to find out the bow he dropped was outclassed by most of the bows I already had on me. Bet hey, each time I beat one of these guys I get his monster parts and balls get bigger so, that's two wins there.

I cannot find that fat mofo that asked me to get his maracas back. I have like 30 Korok seeds and I need more inventory space.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 8,873
    Silver bokoblin charges me on horse
    hit horse with an arrow
    Bokoblin flies off into water, drowns
    Swim after monster parts
    No fucks given

<- See AV for my reaction.
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    Really like how they did the Lost Woods in this game and the very subtle hint they give in how to go through it.
  • IdunoIduno ...what to put here Joined: Posts: 4,748
    I have no issue with my weapon breaking in a game where you can go get it repaired and it's useless until you do.

I have issue when a game goes "Hey you just got this totally sick sword from a quest/shrine, want to use it? Oh look it's gone now lol."

There are ways to make players switch things up without fucking them like that.
    “It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."
    -Stephen Fry

"I know crackheads that could sneak into a house better than an 8th century shinobi."
    -Jimmy1200
  • JGreenJGreen Joined: Posts: 1,635
    I was honestly pretty annoyed with the weapon breaking too. Then, I found that there are fixable weapons which are actually good weapons and spawn points for some of the higher tier weapons. For the weapon spawn points, you need to wait until a blood moon for them to respawn. So while it's still somewhat annoying, it's not as bad, but it does require some exploration to find those weapon spawn points. This is definitely a game which rewards you for thoroughly exploring every part of the game world and I love the game for it.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,139
    I don't understand the whole annoyance with losing weapons. I always end up finding duplicates of the same swords before my current one ever breaks (yes I'm referring to elemental weapons).

I mean like. It's not like you're losing them and are fucked until you find another one days later. I can't go anywhere without finding shit over and over again.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

• NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Why are right-wingers so sensitive? Joined: Posts: 5,266
    weapons breaking would be fine if you could save as many weapons as you wanted in links house. then it would demand that you be strategic
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,139
    weapons breaking would be fine if you could save as many weapons as you wanted in links house. then it would demand that you be strategic

Upgrade your inventory slots,nigga.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

Upgrade your inventory slots,nigga.

meh. i already beat the game and found most of the shrines.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    I would like there to be more space to store weapons in Link's house, if only because I wanna fill it up with as many Lizalfos Tri-forked Boomerangs as possible.

I love that weapon :rofl:
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

i just wish there was more utility from having the house.
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • The MartianThe Martian A Terrible Fate. Joined: Posts: 11,941
    This game is fucking amazing.
    "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster HUMANZ Joined: Posts: 8,147
    edited March 22
    Played for a bit today. Maybe an hour or two.

I still can't get into this game. I'm trying but I just can't seem to get invested. What little I did bore me to near tears.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

Kinniku has garbage taste.

Next.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• Kinniku BusterKinniku Buster HUMANZ Joined: Posts: 8,147
    Kinniku has garbage taste.

Next.

Naw. I don't think it's a bad game. Not at all. A game like this would have blown my fucking mind 5-7 years ago when I was super into gaming still. Now I just don't care and I can't really pin point a reason to why outside of I find the game boring. Not bad, just boring.

Truth be told I find a hard time getting invested into any video game these days. Yet I still find myself buying them.
    Peace to the Mountain
    Amiibo Aficionado

Negro Install

The sky's fallin', baby, drop that ass 'fore it crash.

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,252
    Question, should I get the game now or wait till the Switch gets back in stock first?

I am thinking of getting the game soon and spreading out the total costs.
    Never pay double the retail price
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Cool thing I noticed about Lynels, if you're so far away they have to shoot you, and they keep missing, they'll change their aim so the arrows rain down on you. Probably old news but still so cool.