The Legend of Zelda thread - Master Sword? Light Arrows? Tunics? Nah son. I'm fighting Ganon naked!

Comments

• King9999King9999 Joined: Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    King9999 wrote: »
    Like Likes returning would be cool. They could actually eat your stuff permanently again like they did in the original Zelda.

Oh then, peeps would REALLY be crying. We already got folks complaining about weapons breaking even though the game is constantly throwing more at you. Imagine the tears from stuff being permanently jacked from you.

All I can to that is welcome to BOTW.
    Switch Friend Code: SW-2722-8799-3295
    PSN/Steam ID/NNID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    "On my business card, I am a corporate president. In my mind, I am a game developer. But in my heart, I am a gamer." -Satoru Iwata, 1959-2015
  • LordWilliam1234LordWilliam1234 I need a win button Joined: Posts: 20,657
    edited April 6
    I just hope they have more dungeon focus in the next one. Open world is nice but the dungeons are still my favorite part of the series. The ones in BotW are good but, like the shrine challenges, felt too short. Nothing quite on the level of, say, Stone Tower Temple or Arbiter's Grounds.
    PSN/Steam/NNID/CFN: LordWilliam1234
    SFV: Cammy, Ed (maybe?)
    Smash 4: Fox, Cloud, Corrin
    Pokken: Braixen
    Guilty Gear: Ky, Dizzy
    Blazblue: Kokonoe, Makoto
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data
    SFV SRK Lounge Bingo! (Season 2)

VGFC - Worlds Collide (Fan-made fighter made by me)
  • NecrotrophicNecrotrophic Isn't a communist. Joined: Posts: 5,611
    I just need another forest or spirit temple. they had such great atmosphere
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • TKRTKR Inventor of Toe Socks Joined: Posts: 151
    Dungeons indeed.

I love the new game. And the shrines are fun. But they really screwed the pooch by not having dungeons. I don't want to give any spoilers. But there are 4 situations in the game that would have made perfect dungeons. Leading to a 5th even.
  • ReggieHadokenReggieHadoken Power Up Joined: Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Seems getting Star Fragments got easier

• FemtoFemto Joined: Posts: 4,397
    Finally have the entire map on display. Still need Stasis+....

I think I'm going to go for everything (side missions, shrines) before I head to the castle again. Game is still awesome, but it'll probably be another two months before I get everything done.
    "Racism died in the 80's and 90's. Period." - ParryAll 11/10/2016
    http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/146396/the-current-state-of-the-world-and-us-updated-first-post/p237

"I was walking home and decided to not get shot at by a Muslim by not interfering and if people want to keep enriching the US with diversity then that's their decision. Also, she was already getting raped. Me interfering would have most likely resulted in the Muslim dude getting killed and then the media picking it up as a hate crime. I just kept walking and I think I made the right choice." - ElderGod http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/208447/the-american-government-thread-youre-fired-no-really-gtfo/p424
    You can beat the game and continue getting everything after. It doesn't seem to ruin anything
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,588
    TKR wrote: »
    Dungeons indeed.

I love the new game. And the shrines are fun. But they really screwed the pooch by not having dungeons. I don't want to give any spoilers. But there are 4 situations in the game that would have made perfect dungeons. Leading to a 5th even.

BOTW lacks big dungeons, but they got a metric fuck ton of mini dungeons, Shrines, caves with "OMG why so many Wizrobes", Enemy base camps, ect.

"You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • purbeastpurbeast Joined: Posts: 4,557
    edited April 7
    I'd much rather have traditional dungeons than anything else they had in this game. I enjoyed doing the Divine Beasts but even though didn't have the same feel and they had like no enemies up until the boss. The shrines in general are fun but don't compare at all to dungeons IMO. There are a few that are very lengthy (and I welcome that) and fun, but then you have a few that use the god awful motion controls I'd rather do with out, a bunch that are "tests of strength" that are exactly the same as the others and repetitive as shit, and then you have a bunch that have nothing but a treasure chest and spirit orb in them. I'm sitting at 102 shrines right now and plan to get all 120 but I would still prefer dungeons.

Also some of the shrine quests though are VERY fun and very smartly done. I did one the other day that took long as shit to just get to the shrine. I could not believe how involved it was and how specific it was. Had I not looked at a guide on how to do it, I don't see how someone could have figured it out. This game is VERY smart and creative.
    Went to Hyrule Castle to look for that Hylian Shield. Holy crap balls that place is HUGE. Mad loot in there though and I was so stoked when I opened that chest and I got the king of all shields! I got the last memory too. If you haven't gotten it yet, you got a long trip through the castle to reach it. That sucker is practically right outside Calamity Ganon's front door! Once I got it, I bounced.
  • crotchpunchacrotchpuncha Joined: Posts: 20,560
    That cat is so pissed off :rofl:
    It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here.
  • InfernomanInfernoman Bro as Hell Joined: Posts: 9,050
    And thus, Ganon reveals his next most terrifying form...

...Catlamity Ganon!
    17799955_408621179516744_3515760911846871819_n.jpg?oh=8b4775467ef80872092e8a6e6441ed85&oe=595E59BA

What catastrophe...
    Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    I'm at 119 shrines and I can't even find the 1 I'm missing by looking at the guide on IGN :(
  • po pimpuspo pimpus Let's Hit the Climax! Joined: Posts: 23,972
    purbeast wrote: »
    I'm at 119 shrines and I can't even find the 1 I'm missing by looking at the guide on IGN :(

The last shrine is in a special place that you can only access after getting all the others. Look more closely at the map- It's made very clear where that place is.

Or, you can just look on YouTube...

Also, be prepared to dodge A LOT of Guardian Beams.
    "Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • NeoBloodNeoBlood kara bank account Joined: Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 8
    po pimpus wrote: »

The last shrine is in a special place that you can only access after getting all the others. Look more closely at the map- It's made very clear where that place is.

Or, you can just look on YouTube...

Also, be prepared to dodge A LOT of Guardian Beams.

You talking about
    the forgotten temple
    ? That shrine is always there. I've done it and I'm at like 106.
    Yeah that is the one he was talking about, and I had already done it as well. And it wasn't hard at all you just sprint through there and they miss you lol.

Heh, funny thing is ... I had all the shrines unlocked. There was one however that I hadn't completed and I didn't realize that it had the hint of orange in it until I was scanning everything again with a guide for like the 5th time. It was one where you had to use stasis to shoot objects, and I remember when I first got to it I had like 1 weapon and it was like an axe so those are hard as hell to aim.

Gotta say, the reward for getting all 120 shrines is pretty damn weak lol.
    29/42 Shrine Quests.
    57/76 Side Quests.
    90/120 Shines.
    210/900 Korok Seeds.

I'm gonna 100% this game eventually :rofl:
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

I have all 120 shrines but I counted the shrine quests I completed in my log and I only had like 36.
  • FoolinfectionFoolinfection Big fish in a little pond 4 LIFE Joined: Posts: 2,151
    edited April 9
    I have all 120 shrines but I counted the shrine quests I completed in my log and I only had like 36.

This just means you found those shrines without initiating the quests. They should auto-complete once you finally initiate them.
    Welcome to the internet. God help you if you have an opinion.

I should start keeping written letters in sealed envelopes when I go to tournaments. If i get bodied, I give them one, and when they open it up it says "fuk u"

edited April 9
    I have all 120 shrines

Yeah but you used a guide you cheater :arazz:
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

I have to say this,

Who cares where in the Time line where Breath of the Wild fits.
    Does it need to fit in the time line, No.

The game stands on it's own merits and doesn't need the time line.
    I have all 120 shrines

Yeah but you used a guide you cheater :arazz:

Yup I don't have time to search all that shit and find them. I wasn't even gonna do it but I was having with them. There are like 5 or so that there is not a fucking chance I would have ever figured out, maybe even 10. And I'm like 100% positive that NOBODY has gotten all of them without using a guide for a few of them. No chance people could figure out some of them.
    And I'm like 100% positive that NOBODY has gotten all of them without using a guide for a few of them. No chance people could figure out some of them.

135798436662.jpg
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

I'm going to finally beat the game probably over the next week and then probably won't ever turn it back on. There isn't much else I want to do in it at this point. Then I'll have time to get back to Uncharted 4 and get Horizon Zero Dawn too.
    Every day, something new, I swear...

"Capcom should listen to their fans... Mega Man is a cool character." -2048 President Elect Kevin at Age 10
  • The MartianThe Martian G.O.L.D. Joined: Posts: 12,128
    Darksakul wrote: »
    I have to say this,

Who cares where in the Time line where Breath of the Wild fits.
    Does it need to fit in the time line, No.

The game stands on it's own merits and doesn't need the time line.

I care....

Of course, I'm the same guy who's written dissertations on Dark Souls' narrative and its philosophical concepts as a whole. Lore will always interest me in these kinds of games, especially considering how cryptic BoTW can get with its lore. It's like uprooting a mystery. It's fun. One of my favorite aspects of playing a new Souls game is researching the lore, and forming my own theories in the moment. I just beat the game, so I can't wait to start digging in without fear of spoilers.

And yes, the game does indeed fit within the timeline.

You're right, though. It's a good game regardless, with plenty of merits outside of its lore.
    "You have a heart of gold. Don't let them take it from you."
    Fuck the "lore" and this stupid timeline BS Nintendo only came up with to shut up obsessive fanboys.

Only things that matter in a Zelda game are the gameplay, Link's dominant hand, and the words "power", "wisdom", and "courage" being mentioned at least once.
    edited April 10
    Why does BoTW have to fit with the rest of the Time Line?

Why can't it be it's own thing? Why can't BoTW be it is own separate timeline that has absolutely nothing to do with Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time?
    SRK: The only website where you can pretty much completely agree with someone and still get hit with a "Get Rekt".
  • DooplissDoopliss Joined: Posts: 3,179
    Why can't BoTW be it is own separate timeline that has absolutely nothing to do with Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time?

Well, at one point the game pretty much tells you how it's placed compared to OoT, so...
    Maybe Doopliss isn't kicking ass, but he's taking names.

"Combo Hunter", A Street Fighter V Season 2 Combo Video

Why can't it be it's own thing? Why can't BoTW be it is own separate timeline that has absolutely nothing to do with Skyward Sword and Ocarina of Time?

...well, there are several references to past games littered throughout the world...and not subtle nods but as in "this was actually a thing." The most obvious of course...
    Being when Nabooru was directly referenced after you clear the Divine Beast in Gerudo Desert, and it was mentioned that Ganon once took the form of a Gerudo.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

I didn't say it has to. I said I'm interested in learning more about the narrative.

But if you really want an answer: Nintendo already confirmed that its part of the established timeline before the game even came out. It takes place sometime after OOT.
    For the record, I think it's great that some people find the various lore tidbits interesting and compelling... But I hope everyone realizes the reason they are so compelling is because the series has always given you just enough story to motivate the player's actions and left the rest either to the imagination, or tiny pieces of background lore.

Going too deep can ruin the mystique.
    edited April 10
    For the record, I think it's great that some people find the various lore tidbits interesting and compelling... But I hope everyone realizes the reason they are so compelling is because the series has always given you just enough story to motivate the player's actions and left the rest either to the imagination, or tiny pieces of background lore.

Going too deep can ruin the mystique.

i think a big part of the mystique is actually that Nintendo didn't put a ton of effort into the storyline and didn't care too much to connect the games and much of the Western audience couldn't accept this. So the timeline theorist was born, by overanalyzing tiny pointless details.

I wouldn't be surprised if Nintendo read zelda forums to make sense of it themselves. So in a sense, the timeline people incidentally have a big role in shaping what the story even is.
    Post edited by Necrotrophic on
    Northeast PA
    570 Necro
    It's never been a secret that the cumulative storyline of the Zelda games was created pretty much in part by both fans and Nintendo alike.
    So I went after Rito's Devine beast and found some memory on Revali. WOW. Falco ain't got JACK on this bird. I mean, this mofo's ego is the size of a small planet! I don't think there was ever a time he didn't talk to Link like he was crap. I'm sure I've heard his VA somewhere before.

Mipha is aces in my book not only for her ability, but for not being like Ruto, who was annoying AF. If only the King of Zora' Domain had named her something else. Like Zelda.

Speaking of Zelda
    I really feel for her in this game. She got this HUGE responsibility dropped on her shoulders. The townsfolk says she sucks and even her dad shows her no chill. Like everyone is waiting on her to pull this Triforce of Wisdowm powers out of thin air. Girl is constantly crapped on because her powers haven't shown yet. One of my favorite memories is The Silent Princess because she's so happy to find the Tireless Frog and is eager for Link to try it. She is legit stoked over this discovery and it is so nice not to see her look like she wants to jump off a bridge.

So I finally got some monster masks. I got the Bokolbin, Moblin and Lizalfos masks. These things are great for blending in with enemies and setting up kills but Link even poses like the enemy of the mask he wears. This freaking game, man.
    Smash 4 Frame Data
    SFV Frame Data

• SonichumanSonichuman You're too sloooww!! Joined: Posts: 18,251
    Yo! That shit is crazy.
  • Mood4food77Mood4food77 Joined: Posts: 9,366

The things people do to avoid gyroscope shrines...but who could blame them.

Who else in a movie wrestled an evil lesbian and by forcefully kissing her, turned her not only heterosexual but good as well? Exactly. That, my friend, is the power of Sean motherfucking Connery - Valaris
    So I'm in Gerudo Town trying to get my man Link some drinks. Kinda surprised they let alcohol in a Nintendo game. Anyhoo, they won't let Link drink because they don't buy Link's "I'm over 100!" response! It isn't like he's lying.
    But according to people that haven't played the game, my weapons break all the time, so I should always have room for more weapons...
    edited April 14
    Just finished Zelda. The final boss was way too easy. It was still a cool battle though but it is just super easy lol. I wasn't even close to dying.

EDIT:

Also thought I read you could still explore and due stuff after you beat Ganon, but I assumed it was in the same world with him not in the castle - guess that isn't the case?
    For me it's why can't I carry all these royal claymores and savage lynel bows?
    Just finished Zelda. The final boss was way too easy. It was still a cool battle though but it is just super easy lol. I wasn't even close to dying.

EDIT:

Also thought I read you could still explore and due stuff after you beat Ganon, but I assumed it was in the same world with him not in the castle - guess that isn't the case?
    Ganon is mad easy when you do the Divine Beasts, completely avoiding the boss gauntlet and cleaving half of Calamity Ganon's HP.

The final battle with Dark Beast Ganon is a joke, no matter what you do.

There is no new game+, but several enemies get upgraded to silver status, such as all the blue maned Lynels. Storywise, nothing changes at all.

EDIT:

Ganon is mad easy when you do the Divine Beasts, completely avoiding the boss gauntlet and cleaving half of Calamity Ganon's HP.

The final battle with Dark Beast Ganon is a joke, no matter what you do.

There is no new game+, but several enemies get upgraded to silver status, such as all the blue maned Lynels. Storywise, nothing changes at all.

But what, do you have to start a new game without all of your stuff to see the upgraded enemies? I thought you'd be able to go back into the world with all of the evil stuff gone and explore that way, and like go walk through the clean castle and stuff. But the only recent saved game I have is right before I fought Ganon.