Tips/Rules for posting in the Newbie Sakiyo Dojo

skisonicskisonic Joined: Posts: 1,131 mod
Hi Guys,

I really like the idea of this forum. It's always a tough job organizing info on the forums while at the same time getting to quick, basic questions without running into thread derailment issues and the like. I'm going to take a second to list out some tips for posters that might keep in mind. This is not meant to influence the intent of your posts, but instead give you the best chance of finding the info you seek.

Tips for asking questions:

Format (Likely to change): A preferred thread title format would look something like "SF4: Ryu - How do I FADC?". This is of course only possibly if a question is so specific that this information can be provided in the thread title. At this point, use your best judgement and try to make it look nice while things come together.

When asking your questions try to include all pertinent information on the subject that one can muster. Besides the obvious, any information one recall might be helpful.

-What Game/Character/Stage?
-Actions immediately before/after

When asking for help, first decide what type of answer you seek. Are you looking for an escape to a particular situation? A counter attack? Do you need help dealing more damage in a match-up? It's of course difficult to figure out the answer to your question, but a little critical thought can help the speed the process along quite a bit.

Important!: When asking questions, try to avoid discussions about things that don't have a direct question/answer scenario (IE: Opinion based topics). For example, try to avoid making topics like "Who is your favorite character in SF4?" or "Why should we use game mechanic XYZ in game ABC?". These topics are more suited for other areas of the forum as they can cause long debated discussions that most new players won't understand. Also, simply put, they're a magnet for trolling, or generally will be seen as trolling attempts themselves.

Be Humble: Realize in this situation you are asking for help. Put your ego aside and try to work with the help you are offered. Enjoy this experience as you learn and grow.

If you make a topic just to cry/whine about something you're going to get a warning. This is a place for learning and asking questions. That doesn't mean make a topic "omg xyz is soooo cheap" keep that stuff on other forums.

Tips for Answering Question:

Try to find any information that isn't included that may be helpful.

Be Honest: Use language that represents the true degree of your statements. In other words, try not to say "This move beats c.strong" or describe a fail-safe counter if you are uncertain. If some experimentation is required in a situation but you only have a faint idea of what you'd do, try to explain it as such.

Be Humble: Realize in this situation someone is humbling himself, asking for help. Be courteous when offering help, do not insult beginners for lack of knowledge. Make this experience enjoyable so the scene can grow.

Last, but above all, to everyone in the forum - Play nice. We're here to help. This could be something great for SRK and fighting games in general, so treat it nicely and help it along. Please don't flame the noobs. Blatant trolling and trolling topics will not be tolerated Newbie Sakiyo Dojo.
Internationally known. East coast home.

I bet some people thank god for the internet and the keyboard everynight when they pray. "NOW I CAN SAY WHATEVER I WANT!" - big|dave
·

Comments

• c001357c001357 Time Wizard Joined: Posts: 576
    can you ask tech talk related questions here?
    ·
  • yflowyflow Shoto Scrub #339482 Joined: Posts: 445
    can you ask tech talk related questions here?

I assume that the Tech Talk forums would be a better place to get an answer, but I think that a very basic question about it here would provide you with the results you need as well.

As for this thread: I think this section is a great addition to the site. You don't get more fighting game competition by acting like you're more elite than newcomers.
    ·
  • stroggstrogg KKKramer Joined: Posts: 1,371
    Also, don't be discouraged, or upset when someone replies in the form of a link to an existing thread. Check it out, your question might be answered, and if not, you might find deeper discussion by posting a reply to that thread.
    Need your stick modded?
    ·
  • bytexbytex Huge Gaming Penis Joined: Posts: 490
    Just don't let this forum deteriorate into the typical "f... off use the search function or don't post at all" tactics :)
    ·
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants No thanks..... Joined: Posts: 15,423 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Also............don't get frustrated when you don't get an answer right away.
    I've been many new people post the same question in multiple threads.....and that does not end well.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    ·
  • Jubei KibagamiJubei Kibagami Too much naughty... Joined: Posts: 1,245
    Just don't let this forum deteriorate into the typical "f... off use the search function or don't post at all" tactics :)

Google is great, people are lazy.
    ·
  • BlackShinobiBlackShinobi Making moves Joined: Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭
    since it keeps being asked, this is just a reminder that all of the street fighter 4 trials have been on youtube since the week SF4 came out. If you can't figure out the timing seeing someone do it will probably be more helpful than a page full of text trying to explain the timing to you.
    https://www.facebook.com/ShinobeFGC
    twitter.com/shinob_e
    New player gameplay video critique thread. CLICK THE LINK AND CHECK IT OUT.
    Help the community grow one beginner at time.
    ·
  • MattFMattF Joined: Posts: 38
    Locations for tournaments

Would it be wrong to ask where there are tournaments on long island?
    ·
    Would it be wrong to ask where there are tournaments on long island?

You can check Tournaments & Events ..............or Regional Matchmaking and look inside your region.

You can find these and more by scrolling down the main forum page.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    ·
  • booty clapperbooty clapper Grrrrrr Joined: Posts: 1,726
    Can we pleasssse get the "I'm new" or "I suck" match making threads closed. There is always like 3 of them at any given time. And they aren't even questions.
    #SNKPlaymore & #Alpha2 on efnet
    ·
  • AtariusAtarius Joined: Posts: 2
    this helped thanks
    ·
  • robotic elfrobotic elf like in the stories Joined: Posts: 749
    Re: pertinent information.

Newbies, if you're having trouble with a character, or a specific tool/situation, and come to ask help, that's cool, you've come to the right place, but if you don't explain which character you're using it makes it much harder for people to give relevant advice.

Modern fighting games can have anywhere from 20 to 50 characters. Each one of those characters will have different options, and different responses to both common and rare situations. I know you may not have decided on a "main" yet, but even if you can bring it down to a short list of possibilities it means people won't have to list a huge list of options from random characters you're not interested in playing, and can give you much more helpful advice.
    Is SpoonyGosling
    This game glorifies violence. I love it for this reason.
    ·
  • ValarisValaris keeping watch over SRK Joined: Posts: 13,030 mod
    Could we have a rule that the topic be more precise? Don't fucking start a thread with "I need help" or "Newbie question" or some shit. Make a thread called "I need help with Plinking" or "Dash Ultra question".
    I slept with admins so I could get my join date changed. 
    ·
  • HadokenHadoken Joined: Posts: 5
    Akuma

I need help with basic combos for Akuma. Im only a beginner but I always get my ass kicked in online matches. Note: I have a Fightstick that I use.
    ·
  • HadokenHadoken Joined: Posts: 5
    So do we start threads or what?
    ·
    Specify what game you are having Akuma troubles.............would help a bit.

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    ·
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,654 mod
    Posting a thread about your problems would make a lot more sense than asking in the rules thread, unless your problems with Akuma are somehow related to the rules here. :p
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
    ·
  • iceberg1127iceberg1127 Joined: Posts: 4
    My biggest problem is that my right arm start to hurt after a while of practicing combos. And also I have trouble executing the SRK movement on my joy stick can some one help me. <:[
    Tekken 6~ Lars, Roger Jr, Bob, King
    Street Fighter~ Akuma, Adon, Gouken
    Marvel v Capcom 3~ Dante|Akuma|Hulk
    ·
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    question, would anybody know where exactly the SRK forum rules and guidelines are located at?
    can't find it page wise right now.
    does the forum rules and guidelines state how many infractions can be leveled on a member before that member gets their membership placed in jeopardy? in other words something like temporary or permanent ban?
    cause i've like 3 or 4 simultaneous infractions going on...and i have no idea how many of them cause a auto-temporary or permanent banning.
    I'M NOT TRYING TO GET BANNED! DON'T WANNA GET BANNED! or anything like that.
    i just wanna know like how many infractions cause temporary bans...so i can stop posting for a really really long time...like log out for 6 months give or take a few months.
    i can't log out right now exactly since i'm in the process of dealing with two modders/sellers arcade sticks, and i can't do that right now because i paid them already etc...one is still working on my stick.

after i've tested both sticks and everything is fine transaction-wise....then i'll log out for like 6 months and stuff so my infractions get a good long chance to expire.
    thanks in advance to anyone able to answer my question.

p.s. yeah i know that i can just not post while logged in but some threads are just soooooo tempting to put 2 cents in post-wise for me so, logging out will at least hold me from posting even if i'm tempted while lurking these delicious threads that SRK has in abundance.
    LOGIC AND REASON ARE OVERRATED VIRTUES.
    ·
    The Rules are included in the FAQ:
    Shoryuken FAQ

I'm not sure if telling you how many infractions lead to an auto ban is kosher or not. Regardless, most bans are auto unbanned as well. This means when your infractions time out you are permitted to post again. Unless you go out of your way to piss off the mods, that is.

As for logging out for 6 months, if you do this, you run the risk of your account getting purged. The best way to not get banned is not just break the rules. Most of the stuff in the rules is pretty common sense.
    ·
  • Axl_m4sterAxl_m4ster This is how I look like, don't make fun Joined: Posts: 2,423
    The Rules are included in the FAQ:
    Shoryuken FAQ

I'm not sure if telling you how many infractions lead to an auto ban is kosher or not. Regardless, most bans are auto unbanned as well. This means when your infractions time out you are permitted to post again. Unless you go out of your way to piss off the mods, that is.

As for logging out for 6 months, if you do this, you run the risk of your account getting purged. The best way to not get banned is not just break the rules. Most of the stuff in the rules is pretty common sense.

thanks starcade. had no idea that my account could get purged from being logged out for too long.
    actually, i was thinking of logging out, then re-registering to change my username to something other than the one i'm using now,...only because alotta people don't like me and its become too fashionable at the fighting game discussion boards to flame and troll my posts...so even if i'm not trying to derail a threads topic...it ends up getting derailed by everyone flaming my posts and focusing more on my username than on what i've written....so,...but then i read i can't do that since its considered a bannable offense cuz its suspected of like, to be used by the member as having the ability to continue troll posting just under different usernames...yunno, having multiple accounts...but, man...i just can't post anything anymore cuz everyone just sees my username and goes into flaming my posts, thread gets derailed, etc...
    it only happens at the FG boards, all of my infractions are from there.

i'm not saying i haven't trolled or purposefully strayed off topic,,i'm not saying i don't deserve my infractions...i do, and dare i say i probably deserved even more infractions leveled upon me...i'm just saying that the flaming my posts by other members is too out of control now and i can't post up now at that particular board because of everyone focusing more on my username(me the person posting up) than on what i'm writing or the personal opinion i'm trying to state.

anyway, maybe i'll just re-register to change my username so people can get their focus off from my current username and more onto the point i try to make.
    or i'll just log out wait till my account gets purged as you say, and create a new account.

but right now until i make 100% sure everything went ok with the 2 sticks i ordered...i gotta stay logged on with this username and account.
    plus, i have the transaction details/discussions between me and the 2 sellers in my PM box and i can't get that deleted.

thanks again.
    ·
    If people are constantly trolling your posts, alert a moderator that handles the subforum.
    ·
    its ok. hes already aware.
    again i deserve my infractions, and i would state that looking back i have deserved even more in the past...but i think its just best that i change my username/account/writing style than to incite any more possible thread derailments by me complaining about others focusing too much on my username(me) than my posts.
    its cool, its nothing serious. nothing to worry about.

or i'll just have to avoid ever posting again in the boards where people lose their focus on the topic and focus more on me.

either way will solve the whole "focusing on me instead of my opinion" minor problem.

its cool, dont worry about it.
    ·
  • GuiltyGuilty まこと Joined: Posts: 255
    Just a thought, but should there be an "Introduce Yourself" sticky somewhere in the dojo? I've seen quite a few "I'm new" threads opening up on here lately, and maybe it would help cut all that down if we had a sticky that was reserved for introductions or something. Just a thought though. Sorry if it has been touched upon already.
    Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.
    If you aren't gay for Bridget, you're probably gay.
    ·
  • booty clapperbooty clapper Grrrrrr Joined: Posts: 1,726
    people don't look at the stickies anyway
    #SNKPlaymore & #Alpha2 on efnet
    ·
  • SuperkewlSuperkewl Pong Boom Joined: Posts: 123
    Can a rule be made so you can't ask questions about execution type things? They are just figured out through practice.
    "I don't play video games, just fighting games." - Gootecks (in ''I got next'')
    ·
  • DagonDagon World's worst throw-tech-er Joined: Posts: 839
    Can a rule be made so you can't ask questions about execution type things? They are just figured out through practice.
    I would disagree with this rule. As a Chun player in SSFIV:AE, piano'ing inputs is pretty critical to hit most of her legs combos. I don't believe that asking about piano'ing techniques should be against the rules. More generally speaking, asking about peoples' strategies for inputs seems fair to me. Now, I believe that people shouldn't be asking questions like, "How do I hadouken?", but that's either trolling or someone who hasn't even consulted the move lists. I believe it will be rare.
    "Hakan is for the dedicated." - Samurai Drew
    Super Street Fighter Four: Arcade Edition version Two Thousand and Twelve: Chun-Li/Dan
    XBL: EOT 00000100
    ·
    Yeah, that's pretty much how I look at it. If you read the newbie dojo question for a while, you'll notice 3 main types of execution questions:

1) How do I DP?
    2) Should I use the DP shortcut?
    3) How do I (do something more complicated)?

I close 1 automatically. Between move lists and the execution sticky, that one is already covered. People seem to like talking about 2 every few months, so I roll with it. 3 are perfectly valid questions in the newbie dojo.
    ·
  • D_WD_W Disemboded Dave Joined: Posts: 106
    Hey. Here's a question concerning the rules. I started up a weekly vlog about how I'm attempting to get better at fighting games. Basically I talk about what I practiced over the week then jump into some online ranked matches and attempt to win. The goal of the thread would be, of course, to get advice and such. Would that be an acceptable thing to make a thread about in this forum, or would that belong somewhere else?
    My Variety Gaming Youtube Channel

PSN name = Rouge_Waveform
    ·
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Hey. Here's a question concerning the rules. I started up a weekly vlog about how I'm attempting to get better at fighting games. Basically I talk about what I practiced over the week then jump into some online ranked matches and attempt to win. The goal of the thread would be, of course, to get advice and such. Would that be an acceptable thing to make a thread about in this forum, or would that belong somewhere else?

As long as you're seeking constructive criticism, and don't turn it into a "Waaaah, I'm bad, how do I become godlike?" type thread, you should be fine to post here.
    ·
  • D_WD_W Disemboded Dave Joined: Posts: 106
    As long as you're seeking constructive criticism, and don't turn it into a "Waaaah, I'm bad, how do I become godlike?" type thread, you should be fine to post here.
    Constructive Criticism is exactly what I'm looking for!
    My Variety Gaming Youtube Channel

PSN name = Rouge_Waveform
    ·
  • AkiyoshiAkiyoshi The Flame Crussader Joined: Posts: 1
    Hello, first post in the forums

Talking about the above, do a section on the forum referencing Character Guides exist here?

If not i wonder if it's valid to ask for ways to improve the use of certain character in paricular, thing like it's basic playstyle, execution of weird moves and such.

Hope to get used here soon.
    ·
    Check out the stickies in the character specific sections and the SRK wiki.
    ·
  • AhnoldRunningManAhnoldRunningMan Joined: Posts: 12
    hello everybody i am really new here and i have a question about Zangief in Super Street Fighter 4 AE. Does anyone know any combos that they would be willing to share to help me with Zangief. He is my main and I am Starting my Scrub Match series With him and want to be better and i only know one combo that really works and thats (Air body blow, crouch light P, 3P Lariat) which seems to be very formidable. But i want to see some Links that end into his grapple or is that not possible?
    ·
    You can check the Zangief section..................

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/zangief.17/

-Traitor Aizen Souske
    ·
  • AhnoldRunningManAhnoldRunningMan Joined: Posts: 12
    You can check the Zangief section..................

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/zangief.17/
    Thank you! sorry i didnt know it has that.
    ·
  • TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27
    Thanks for the thread. Knowing the rules is very important and when I choose my main/sub I will check the info into their corresponding threads :)

By the way, I clicked the link to the faq of srk and it is broken :(
    :):qcf::)
    ·
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,603 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the thread. Knowing the rules is very important and when I choose my main/sub I will check the info into their corresponding threads :)

By the way, I clicked the link to the faq of srk and it is broken :(

This one? http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Super_Street_Fighter_IV_AE
    ·
  • TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27
    I was refering to this Shoryuken FAQ But the one you posted now is just fine. Thanks again :)
    :):qcf::)
    ·
  • sarujamusarujamu Joined: Posts: 41
    Can I post a: "PS3 noobs, let's post our PSNs here" thread?
    ·
    sarujamu wrote: »
    Can I post a: "PS3 noobs, let's post our PSNs here" thread?
    Please use the Online Outlets section for matchmaking.

·
  • VolcanicAkuma55VolcanicAkuma55 Joined: Posts: 1,928 ✭✭✭✭
    can we make a "no introductions" rule?
    SF main: Akuma
    not wannabe, GUNNA BE pro. just need more practice.
    FIX AKUMA AND GOUKEN'S MUSIC IN USF4. WE DONT NEED 3 VERSIONS OF RYU'S THEME
    ·