The SRK Glossary - WIP

Comments

• HBRDHBRD why Joined: Posts: 2,464
    Ragna wasn't in GGXX#R :p
    Sol and Baiken could do Dustloops in #R and Zappa had an infinite with the Dog Summon.
    Yeah, I'm an idiot. And I thought Baiken could only do like, 3 or 4 dusts or maybe 5 with a couple FRCs in there.

And yeah, Zappa's j.HS/dog 5D infinite was badass as hell.
    Magnetomaniac: TEACH THIS GUY HOW TO PLAY CHUN AND RUFUS RESPECTIVELY
    Tarnish: OS is like the Coke Zero of strategy
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
    ·
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    Zstar Electronic Co.Ltd, Sell fire cards for DS/NDSL/NDSi, also have Wii, DSiLL, NDSi, NDSL, PSP2000, PSP3000, PS2, PS3, PSP go, PSP, Xbox360 accessories, all kinds of phones are available
    www.zstar.hk
    WWW.TIGERSUPERMALL.COM
    ·
  • Lord KinboteLord Kinbote Joined: Posts: 9
    First off, thanks a ton for this thread. I have it bookmarked and it's almost always open on a tab in my browser while I'm reading SRK. Seriously, it rocks. Just wanted to make a quick correction:
    GGPO: An emulator/netplay tool developed by Ponder, used by many players for classic games such as 3S and A2/3. http://www.ggpo.net/

The link is broken. I think the 'www' shouldn't be there. I'm not sure if it's browser specific or not (I'm on Firefox) but http://ggpo.net/ works for me.
    ·
  • EvidentzEvidentz I Am Chaos Joined: Posts: 56
    Great thread! Thanks a lot...reading some of the slang on here is like learning a new language lol.

I have a quick question though...does every character (in this case Super Street Fighter IV) have the ability to buffer. I saw that Akuma can c.MK and then use his Ultra to lower his hit-box and avoid a j.HK. I've been working with Juri and I wanted to know if she had capabilities like this.
    "Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated." -- Sun Tzu
    ·
  • YokoshoYokosho DeAndreWay Joined: Posts: 12
    There is so much to actually learn its unreal...
    No man is an island add - vVv DeAndre Way
    ·
    What are folks referring to when they use the term "shenanigans" as it pertains to Street Fighter?
    ·
  • captpancakescaptpancakes Joined: Posts: 5
    What does the SC stand for in a combo like this one?

C.LK -> C.LP -> SC.LP -> S.LP -> S.FP
    ·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    What are folks referring to when they use the term "shenanigans" as it pertains to Street Fighter?

You know, like tricky stuff.
    Like, "Yo man, that Ken FADC was bullshit!"
    What does the SC stand for in a combo like this one?

C.LK -> C.LP -> SC.LP -> S.LP -> S.FP

Standing Close.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
    You know, like tricky stuff.

So, it's referring to a way of playing, rather than a specific move(s)?

Thanks
    ·
  • zerodotjanderzerodotjander Chinaman, Please! Joined: Posts: 304
    Yeah Shenanigans tend to be high risk-high reward type things that rely on your opponent not expecting it or just not knowing the matchup, and are easily punished if your opponent sees it coming.

For example, level 3 focus in SF4 is a shenanigan. You see it land in matches because people are expecting a level 2 followed by mixup, and if they are already on the defensive they just wait for it and get hit. But, it's not a real tactic that you can use to start a combo - most of the time you try it, you'll just get punished really hard.
    ·
  • wolfeagle 847wolfeagle 847 Joined: Posts: 143
    What are the notations for links and chains?

Is a chain ">" and a link "~"?

thanks
    "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Spinoza
    ·
  • NooksNooks Not User-Friendly Joined: Posts: 350
    What do people mean when they use the term Respect? I haven't seen it used too much, so I can't really figure out what they are referring to. I've tried searching the SRK Wiki Glossary, Eventhubs' Terminology, general search engines, and the SRK Forums--which have threads that don't relate to my search with thousands of replies, which I'm not sorting through, sorry.

Thanks in advance.
    ·
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭
    ^ There's no real secret, nothing exclusive to fighting games beyond the normal meaning of the word. They're just applying the term to fighting games.

Outside of a match, usually it means that you acknowledge and appreciate another player as being smart/strong: they possess a level of skill sufficient enough that they are to be taken seriously or are worth taking seriously. Alternately, it can indicate that they have attained a body of knowledge and a depth of understanding such that their opinions on how the game "is meant to be played" (ie. what is most effective in high level competition) are worthy of consideration.

Inside of a match, sometimes it's used in a less overarching or all-encompassing sense to indicate that a player has taken the threat/possibility of something specific an opponent has presented into account to such a degree that they are forming or changing their current course of action or whole gameplan around it. Most commonly this threat/possibility is the ability (assumed, just demonstrated, or already known) to effectively, properly use a particular option or set of options on reaction or at will or with a very high degree of consistency. Essentially you've decided that they've significantly tilted the risk/reward away from you for that thing, and you are adjusting accordingly. You could call it a... caution adaptation.
    "I'm not going to use [move, tactic] against him [excessively, very much, right now at this moment, for the entire duration of this situation, at all for the rest of the match] because I'm very sure that he will [stuff it, punish it, bait it, avoid it, etc.]."
    ·
  • DoctorWho3kDoctorWho3k Got the tools of survival Joined: Posts: 315
    I'm pretty sure I already know but I would like an official definition of salty.
    AKA Remy, if you see me on live and want to play just shoot me an invite.
    Mains
    Marvel:Nova,Frank,Wesker (attempting vergil, zero) SF4:Gief, Bison MK: Jax SCV:Pyrrah SFXT: Bison,HUUUUGO
    ·
  • deadfrogdeadfrog Joined: Joined: Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭✭
    it is the same as being sour or bitter but not really. diferent from being sweet though
    ·
  • DoctorWho3kDoctorWho3k Got the tools of survival Joined: Posts: 315
    Any idea about the origin? I just think it's a really funny insult and have never heard it used outside of fighting games.
    AKA Remy, if you see me on live and want to play just shoot me an invite.
    Mains
    Marvel:Nova,Frank,Wesker (attempting vergil, zero) SF4:Gief, Bison MK: Jax SCV:Pyrrah SFXT: Bison,HUUUUGO
    ·
  • pockyypockyy Joined: Posts: 8
    what does hit confirm mean?
    thanks.
    ·
  • SethSquallSethSquall Joined: Posts: 24
    Hit confirming

Hit-confirming is the act of giving your mind enough time to react to a situation.

Instead of going for an unsafe combo and hoping it'll connect, ideally you would leave "mental padding" in the form of quick normal attacks that can be linked together, which will give the mind the time to process whether your attacks are connecting or being blocked.

If the attacks land, you can then go into a damaging combo, and if the attacks are blocked, you aren't forced to guess with a highly punishable maneuver.

Hope that helps.
    ·
  • Captain Sirloin IICaptain Sirloin II Joined: Posts: 63
    Either I'm blind, or whiffing and stuffing didn't get mentioned at all in this thread. Seeing how this glossary is intended for new players, I can see why it should be included, considering how often it is being used, and how infrequently people use those words on a daily basis in general conversation.

They do seem like words that can be deduced easily when using context clues, but I feel that I can see ambiguous responses from new player to new player too. Example: One might assume stuffing requires a specific situation, like Ken countering with a dp because of frame advantage.

I would provide 'em, but I'm a new player myself, so my definition will probably be not be the best if it came from 'impression' and not 'fact'.
    ·
  • MaNiLa iCeDMaNiLa iCeD Drop Bombs Like Pac Joined: Posts: 53
    cr.lk, cr.lp > SRK

What does the > stand for?
    ·
  • PatakaReadaPatakaReada Just a Boy, hungry for love Joined: Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭
    Link probably, what is gattling?
    "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. But not Hip-Hop yo"
    ·
    Aight thanks bro.
    ·
    when referring to Hakan, what does DDT mean?
    ·
    What does Flowchart mean?
    ·
  • PatakaReadaPatakaReada Just a Boy, hungry for love Joined: Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭
    when referring to Hakan, what does DDT mean?

Refers to his Oil Dive. Although I do not know why it is called DDT.
    What does Flowchart mean?

Usually refers to players who play Ken and just spam shoryuken with out thinking about it. Google flowchart Ken.
    "The Lord giveth, and the Lord taketh away. But not Hip-Hop yo"
    ·
    Refers to his Oil Dive. Although I do not know why it is called DDT.

Usually refers to players who play Ken and just spam shoryuken with out thinking about it. Google flowchart Ken.

DDT is a wrestling move. Google DDT Jake the Snake
    ·
  • scarsofzsaszscarsofzsasz Hunter Smith Joined: Posts: 221
    DDT is a wrestling move. Google DDT Jake the Snake

infamy is right. Maybe Hakan's move was given the nickname DDT based upon the old wrestling move.
    SG: Parasoul/Cerebella SFXT: Chun/Marduk, Rolento/Raven KOF XIII: Kula/Mai/Mr.KarateSFIV: Cody, Oni, Dudley, DeeJay
    SF3: Alex, Dudley MvC3: Nova/Cap/Sent **If you want practice against my characters in any game just PM me!!**
    ·
  • saigotosaigoto Joined: Posts: 119
    What exactly is a yomi (sp?)
    AE2012: Chun li
    P4A: Mitsuru
    BBCP: Jin, Mi-12
    ·
  • Demon JimDemon Jim I'm Cereal Joined: Posts: 4,158 mod
    I heard a phrase I hadn't heard in awhile but "magic series" is something most people might not know but is a very popular terms with older games. I'm not really sure how to define this, like I know what it is I just suck at explaining things.

-DJ-
    Just like that.
    "...but when he gets there, at the end of the day, it's just corn flakes." - Christopher Walken
    Battle at the Border Tournament Director
    ·
  • AidoniaAidonia The Prince Joined: Posts: 37
    I got a question and might have missed it but what does hk.ST, cr.mk and cst.hp mean??

is it Hard Kick standing, crouching med kick, crouch stand hard punch??

Thanks
    Main: Claw
    Alt: Boxer/Guy
    ·
  • HBRDHBRD why Joined: Posts: 2,464
    I got a question and might have missed it but what does hk.ST, cr.mk and cst.hp mean??

is it Hard Kick standing, crouching med kick, crouch stand hard punch??

Thanks
    People have different notations for stuff, but those mean standing HK, crouching MK, and I assume close standing HP. Things start to get wonky with close/far standing, I think the standard is c for close, f for far, cr for crouching. You shouldn't have to say cst since there aren't any characters with close/far versions of their crouching attacks as far as I know.
    Magnetomaniac: TEACH THIS GUY HOW TO PLAY CHUN AND RUFUS RESPECTIVELY
    Tarnish: OS is like the Coke Zero of strategy
    Abominablek: CvS1's menu theme was so gay I expected the Queer Eye guys to bust into my house and give me a makeover
    ·
  • lencoo12lencoo12 Joined: Posts: 2
    Found a better explanation of plinking from the same guy as in the video you linked to

Thanks Iduno, I knew Loltima had a better explanation for plinking in one of his videos, couldn't remember which. Also edited with a video with examples of Option Selects.
    ·
  • isaacfankisaacfank Joined: Posts: 5
    hey thanks!

thanks for that!
    ·
  • Jordanf1endJordanf1end Joined: Posts: 93
    in marvel.. what does KFC mean?
    ·
  • davidwillsondavidwillson Joined: Posts: 1
    Found a better explanation of plinking from the same guy as in the video you linked to

Thanks Iduno, I knew Loltima had a better explanation for plinking in one of his videos, couldn't remember which. Also edited with a video with examples of Option Selects.

What does the CS mean in this example?

CS. HK > L. SRK > EX SRK
    ·
  • onReloadonReload what's a combo Joined: Posts: 209
    Probably "close, standing". Sounds like a SF4 Ken combo.

Still, when someone writes "c." for "close," they don't need to put anything for standing, as it's implied; attacks are assumed to be done standing unless "cr." is there, indicating a crouched attack..but like HBRD already said, some people have different notations.
    ·
  • AidoniaAidonia The Prince Joined: Posts: 37
    People have different notations for stuff, but those mean standing HK, crouching MK, and I assume close standing HP. Things start to get wonky with close/far standing, I think the standard is c for close, f for far, cr for crouching. You shouldn't have to say cst since there aren't any characters with close/far versions of their crouching attacks as far as I know.

Thanks
    Main: Claw
    Alt: Boxer/Guy
    ·
  • 0ldskool0ldskool is oldsk00l. 0_o? Joined: Posts: 97
    well i have thought it's similar to salt in a wound. like, you get beat so bad it stings more than normal.
    wii TvC -> 5071-0618-7691 PS3 -> O-l-dSk00l - anytime >) http://www.team-decerto.net/
    ·
  • fogerfoger lame is good Joined: Posts: 5,203 ✭✭✭✭
    Any idea about the origin? I just think it's a really funny insult and have never heard it used outside of fighting games.

step 1
    get in front of a mirror

step 2
    insert a spoon full of salt into your mouth

step 3
    watch yourself get salty and notice the similarities to when you mess up something in a match
    ·
  • AquaslashAquaslash Joined: Posts: 9
    Just a small request: Could the definition of "whiffing" be added to the OPs? Granted, I did find it on the fourth page, but I think the info would be useful all together up there.
    XBox360: Kyoryu Aqua

SFXT: Lili-Dudley
    SSFIV: Juri/Dudley/C. Viper
    MVC3: X-23-Chun Li-Deadpool
    ·
  • NoKushWaveNoKushWave Ehh Joined: Posts: 83
    New to ssf4 been playing since tuesday

Whats a chain?:confused:
    ·
  • fistoftheryustarfistoftheryustar Joined: Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    In regards to 3S:

Is it still a Link, if the hits don't add to a higher combo number? For example, Ryu's link: [Forward+HP] to [Shin Shoryuken.] The HP hit does 2 and the Super does 4. So sometimes I get the message "Super Art 6 Hits." Thats definitely a link. But what if it says 2 hit Combo first (from the forward HP), then almost immediately goes into Shin Shoryuken, but the numbers dont add to a 6 Hit Combo message?

Basically is it still a Link, if the hit numbers don't add together?
    My drawing:
    Mai cheats on Ryu - "Shin Shoryuken!"

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7115525&postcount=252
    ·
  • onReloadonReload what's a combo Joined: Posts: 209
    then it didn't combo - if you have the other player block after getting hit by F+HP, they'll block the super. a link is a type of combo, so if they can break out of it, it's not a combo, or specifically, a link combo
    ·
  • fistoftheryustarfistoftheryustar Joined: Posts: 2,128 ✭✭
    Ah damn, I was hoping it wasnt that. Thanks for the confirm man.

Gotta practice my links
    My drawing:
    Mai cheats on Ryu - "Shin Shoryuken!"

http://forums.shoryuken.com/showpost.php?p=7115525&postcount=252
    ·
  • ButtonMashEffectButtonMashEffect The Ultimate Rager. Joined: Posts: 19
    Great help thanks.
    Damn i Rage hard sometimes...
    ·
  • rukawa11rukawa11 Joined: Posts: 4
    Hey, was looking at the chun li section of the mvc3 forum. what does LL mean? Thanks
    ·
  • Geese PantsGeese Pants No thanks..... Joined: Posts: 15,374 ✭✭✭✭✭
    has anyone mentioned kfc?

No..........because it's banned and it doesn't make any sense.
    The Prince of Masturbation.........

"Please do not use such strong words...........it makes you look weak."
    -Traitor Aizen Souske
    ·
  • RedEyeRedEye Joined: Posts: 22
    tiger knee
    ·