The SRK Glossary - WIP

124»

Comments

• X_SwordX_Sword -+FGs, Art, and Beats+- Joined: Posts: 1,707
    the Term "free" and "OCV"> are there any updates to the fighting game vernacular?
    --TurntheHeadphonesUp--
    Steam:X_Sword
    I was uninformed about the greatness of BBBR....
  • Trouble BrewingTrouble Brewing Salty about Ultra Joined: Posts: 4,551 mod
    Free means beating someone with little to no effort. In other words, if you call someone free, you are much better than them (or you are talking shit).

OCV you got right in the other thread.
    The artist formerly known as Starcade RIP
  • GuiltyGuilty まこと Joined: Posts: 255
    I don't think I saw the term, "Whiff" anywhere in there, but I could be wrong. I'm a little curious as to why one would want to whiff in the first place, as I've heard it being used in strategies. Could someone please shed some light onto that for me? Are you supposed to intentionally whiff to bait your opponent into charging you or something?
    Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.
    If you aren't gay for Bridget, you're probably gay.
  • OverworldOverworld Low Tier Joined: Posts: 1,595
    It was more prominent in certain games. In 3rd Strike you got super meter for whiffing normals so many players would just stick a few whiffs in there to build meter.

In SFIV people will whiff specials (like Honda's Oicho throw) to build meter. You wouldn't want to whiff something that leaves you completely open like a shoryuken but it can help get free meter for some characters. You can also use moves to appear like other moves. For example you'll see at times Ryu whiffing an attack that hopefully makes his opponent think a fireball is coming (a lot of time a standing kick).

But what you'll mostly hear about it whiff punishing. It's a part of footsies. This can be achieved a bunch of ways, sometimes it's just knowing the spacing so that when your opponent attacks they miss and you can hit the limb they extended and other times it's baiting a move to whiff by moving in and out of a characters effective range.
  • GuiltyGuilty まこと Joined: Posts: 255
    Wow, there's a lot more to it than I thought. That was really informative, thank you very much :) I've just been trying to learn some strategies with Makoto(SSFIV), and I keep seeing that term coming up, but had no idea why I would want to intentionally miss attacks like that, haha.

I'm going to try and learn more about whiff punishing with Makoto, since I've been having a hard time with that lately. I keep missing when the opponent whiffs and I end up getting punished in the process instead, so I need to research better punishers with her. Thanks again for all the information. It really helped me out a great deal!
    Every moment gives us a chance to become more than what we are.
    If you aren't gay for Bridget, you're probably gay.
  • JesseJesse Joined: Posts: 70
    It was more prominent in certain games. In 3rd Strike you got super meter for whiffing normals so many players would just stick a few whiffs in there to build meter.

In SFIV people will whiff specials (like Honda's Oicho throw) to build meter. You wouldn't want to whiff something that leaves you completely open like a shoryuken but it can help get free meter for some characters. You can also use moves to appear like other moves. For example you'll see at times Ryu whiffing an attack that hopefully makes his opponent think a fireball is coming (a lot of time a standing kick).

But what you'll mostly hear about it whiff punishing. It's a part of footsies. This can be achieved a bunch of ways, sometimes it's just knowing the spacing so that when your opponent attacks they miss and you can hit the limb they extended and other times it's baiting a move to whiff by moving in and out of a characters effective range.

So if you if you do a special no matter if it hits, is blocked, or whiffs it still builds meter? Wow I never knew that
  • ErawanErawan The tiger who swapped his stripes for spots Joined: Posts: 186
    Hi, could someone tell me what 'l-frames' are in reference to MvC3? I hear that Akuma and Ryu have a variety of moves with this 'feature'.
    (Talking about Daigo) "i dont see how someone who is good at SF gets to be a celebrity because i bet theres plenty of people that would beat him that dont go to tournaments, and is he good at the megadrive version or the newer releases for ps3 and 360" - Comment by SpoilerAlert, Kotaku
    23 Aug 2011 3:32 AM
  • SoploxSoplox Joined: Posts: 45
    Is too many concepts I'll never learn any of this Damn!
  • onReloadonReload what's a combo Joined: Posts: 209
    I'm going to try and learn more about whiff punishing with Makoto, since I've been having a hard time with that lately. I keep missing when the opponent whiffs and I end up getting punished in the process instead, so I need to research better punishers with her.
    The thing you have to remember is that different moves have different recovery times - so if someone whiffs a move with fast recovery, you either shouldn't try to punish it, or use a really quick (not much start-up) move, like close jab, or whatever her fast normals are. Basically, that's the general starting point - what's a fast normal that I can start a combo with? Will I have time to do close HP xx Hayate? Or, if they whiff something that has huge recovery, like Ryu's Ultra 1, what should you do with all the time you have? You don't want to end up panicking and throwing, 'cause that's a waste of a good opportunity.
    So if you if you do a special no matter if it hits, is blocked, or whiffs it still builds meter? Wow I never knew that
    It depends on the game, yes; in MvC3, assists and special moves that don't connect give you no meter. Also, note that in games where you get meter for whiffed moves - they'll give you more meter if they connect - blocked or hit. Some moves (normal moves in SF2, SF4) don't gain meter unless you connect with them.
    Is too many concepts I'll never learn any of this Damn!
    You go a little bit at a time - like when you're looking at a guide and you think to yourself, "Wait, what does he mean by 'Fierce'?" then you come back here, etc, and you figure it out. That's a basic example, but for more complicated ideas like hitstop or frame advantage etc, you kind of take it in as you need it. You have to start learning from playing, most importantly.
  • wanzerpilot09wanzerpilot09 There is no such thing as 'too classy.' Joined: Posts: 16
    Alright I was looking at a Yun combo thread and saw the following notation:

Main hitconfirms. If you're dive kicking, OS crouchtech (with c.mp if you can)

What does OS stand for? I looked on the forums here and elsewhere around the internet and I have had no such luck. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is a silly question.
  • SoupyShoeSoupyShoe Check your training wheels at the door Joined: Posts: 1,484
    most likely Option-Select.
    XBL gamertag- SoupyShoe SRK

THIRD STRIKE ONLINE- MARSHMALLOW RYU ALL DAY

PLEASE RELEASE CVS2 ON XBL MARKETPLACE :wasted:
  • SolidMGSnakeSolidMGSnake Joined: Posts: 2
    - c.lp, cst.lp, st.mp xx HK Upkicks

Whats the cst.lp mean? This is a combo for Yun.
  • SoupyShoeSoupyShoe Check your training wheels at the door Joined: Posts: 1,484
    - c.lp, cst.lp, st.mp xx HK Upkicks

Whats the cst.lp mean? This is a combo for Yun.
    looks like someone made up their own abbreviation with crouching/standing.lp.....even so, you could just do his 1-2-3 chain to his scissor kick

st.lp, st.lk, st.mp xx hk up kick
    XBL gamertag- SoupyShoe SRK

THIRD STRIKE ONLINE- MARSHMALLOW RYU ALL DAY

PLEASE RELEASE CVS2 ON XBL MARKETPLACE :wasted:
    cst.lp means close standing light punch. You want to do low jab/short, close standing lp, standing mp > ender instead of the target combo for ease of hit confirming and, in the case of low short, it starts with a low.

That target combo isn't that great really.
  • blehbleh Joined: Posts: 116
    A combo that doesn't use any super/ultra/etc. gauge/meter, so, in SF4, it would be combos without EX, Supers, or Ultras. In MvC3, it would be without using Hyper Combos, but X-Factor could be in there, depending on your definition of meter.

Generally speaking: no usage of meters.
  • blehbleh Joined: Posts: 116
  • AuthenticBlazeAuthenticBlaze Joined: Posts: 67
    I'm still not completely sure about the "buffer" aspect of the game. Could anyone break it down for me noob style?
    Victory is the sweetest feeling
  • AlusAlus Starsauce Joined: Posts: 52
  • YOJIMBO-武士YOJIMBO-武士 train, exectue, win. Joined: Posts: 101
    what exactly are loops?
    PSN ID: yojimbo87x
    It's a series of attacks that you repeat, with or without a definite end.. if the loop doesn't have a definite end, or can go on for a very, very long time, it's sometimes called an "infinite," like MvC2 Ironman's [j.LP, MP, MK, U+H] - though technically, under normal circumstances, this infinite will end when the character "dizzies out" after awhile.

Think of El Fuerte's last trial in SSFIV, where you have to connect three HPs in a row. People call the method for executing that combo "Run, Stop, Fierce" or RSF. You're "loop"ing [HP xx Habanero Dash, Sudden Stop]. in the case of the RSF, it will eventually end since the dummy character gets pushed back with each repetition.

hope that helps.
  • Sabin41Sabin41 S4B1N - OG scrub :P Joined: Posts: 1,000
    It hasn't been mentioned yet, but a Mist Cancel is a technique almost exclusive to Johnny in GG (is there anyone else that can do it?) which involves using a special attack, in this case a stance, to circumvent lag on normals. The character was basically designed around it, he's slow unless you cancel his normals on hit into other normals. Not sure how else to explain it.
    SFII & IV - Main: Zangief Sub: Honda
    GG & GGX2^C+ - Main: Potemkin BlazBlue (CT & CS) - Main: Tager
    UMvC3 - Main: Thor (b)/ Dormammu (b)/ Magneto (a) Sub: Haggar (a)/ Sentinel (a)/ Magneto (b)
  • King9999King9999 Oraoraora...Mudamudamuda Joined: Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool thread! I would add some terms used in 3D fighters though, like Guard Impact, SPOD and such.
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8754-7747
    PSN/Steam ID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    #TheMassacreOfE32013 Never forget...
  • RichHoboRichHobo Joined: Posts: 75
    Whats a fuzzy guard? Is it just a situation thats ambiguous to where opponent has to block (e.g. cross ups and instant overheads)?
  • SPECTERLIGHTSPECTERLIGHT Chimes At Midnight Joined: Posts: 702
    What is the notation for Cross Up when posting combos, etc?
    Is there a universal notation guide?
    Disciplines: Bushin-Ryu-Ninpo, Street Fighting, Demonology, IGA Ninjitsu, Bushido, Alchemy, English Boxing, Wing Chun, Shaolin Gung Fu, Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Igyo Tenshin-no-Jutsu, SFCQC, Swordplay, Garou Ryū MMA, Kusanagi Ryū Kobujutsu, Yagami M.Arts, Gun Kata...
    “There is nothing outside of yourself that can ever enable you to get better, stronger, richer, quicker, or smarter. Everything is within. Everything exists. Seek nothing outside of yourself.” 武神

RIN-PYOU-TOU-SHA-KAI-JIN-RETSU-ZAI-ZEN
    I don't think there really is a notation for crossup; generally when a combo can cross up, it's important that it can also NOT cross-up, which makes it into a mix-up. If you're transcribing a combo that took place in a match/combo video, then sure, you might just put like "[cross-up]", but I don't think there's a symbol for it.

Also, here is a short notation guide from Maj's Sonic Hurricane: http://sonichurricane.com/articles/sfnotation.html
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,539 ✭✭✭✭
    What is the notation for Cross Up when posting combos, etc?
    Is there a universal notation guide?

I guess you could use XU for cross-up. Or X-U. It's not very commonly used, but it's not difficult to decipher either.
    Sometimes combos will have (cross up only) in front of them, otherwise it's probably safe to assume it works either with or without a cross up.
  • TurboNewbieTurboNewbie Joined: Posts: 27
    Excellent! This is just what I needed to become familiar with the terms and applications that I see on other threads. Learnt a lot. Thanks you guys :)
    :):qcf::)
  • Bowser-DaimaoBowser-Daimao Professional Button Masher Joined: Posts: 18
    Thanks for making this guide. I get pretty confused reading fighting game lingo, it's like another language to me.
    Mains: SSBB, Marth SF3TS, Dudley. SSF4 and Alpha 2, Sakura. Darkstalkers 3 Lilith.
  • PapinguimPapinguim Joined: Posts: 308
    I still don't understand Hit confirms and plinking.
  • wolfeagle 847wolfeagle 847 Joined: Posts: 143
    What is a "ROM" combo? Is it just a type of combo and if so could someone please explain or is it an acronym as well? Thank you in advance for replies!
    "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Spinoza
    What is a "ROM" combo? Is it just a type of combo and if so could someone please explain or is it an acronym as well? Thank you in advance for replies!

Are you referring to ROMfinite combos?
  • jonthegiantjonthegiant Joined: Posts: 7
    Hello guys, i'm french and i would like to know what does mean the word "tier" in "tier list" please
  • ImmaculateImmaculate UltraBeard Joined: Posts: 650 ✭✭✭
    Anyone know what "curly mustache" and "pringles" means? 
    Anyone know what "curly mustache" and "pringles" means? 
    Curly mustache is in reference to pringles, since the pringles dude has a curly mustache.

People have varying opinions on what exactly 'pringles' mean, since it's interpretation has kind of changed over the years depending on who's telling it.  It originally meant that you cracked as easily as a pringles chip, meaning you've got no defense and you get opened up very easily by your opponent.  
  • Alternate275Alternate275 ★TOURNEY HOST★ Joined: Posts: 1,029
    There should also be a glossary on Sponsor and Team affiliations. Like ''WW, MCZ, DRS, CT, FR, TS, aAa, vv, pdp, AG" and so on. Like what each abbreviation stands for
    "Proud representative & overseer of Crew Round 2" :D
    PSN: CR2_Alternate | XBL: DRS Alternate | Skype: Alternate275
    King of Fighter XIII | Guilty Gear Xrd | BlazBlue ChronoPhantasma | Ultra Street Fighter 4
  • King9999King9999 Oraoraora...Mudamudamuda Joined: Posts: 8,956 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2013
    RichHobo wrote: »
    Whats a fuzzy guard? Is it just a situation thats ambiguous to where opponent has to block (e.g. cross ups and instant overheads)?

Fuzzy guarding is a situation where you have a chance to guard against two or more attacks of different ranges/classes. So instead of guessing whether the next attack is a low attack or an overhead, fuzzy guarding lets you block both.
    Papinguim wrote: »

Hit confirming is exactly what it sounds like: recognizing that your opponent got hit, allowing you to safely follow up with something. A good example is Fei Long's Rekka Ken. If the first hit didn't connect, you need to have the presence of mind to not input the rest of the sequence, because that will leave you at a big disadvantage. Conversely, if the first hit did connect--that is, you confirmed the hit--then you would follow up with the rest of the sequence. It's a simple concept that takes a lot of practice to get right.

My understanding of plinking is wonky, so I'd rather not explain that one.
    Hello guys, i'm french and i would like to know what does mean the word "tier" in "tier list" please

A "tier" is a ranking. So when someone asks what a character's tier is, they're actually asking what their ranking is.
    Post edited by King9999 on
    3DS Friend Code: 2105-8754-7747
    PSN/Steam ID: mmking9999
    Tile Crusher now available on Android & Itch.io!
    #TheMassacreOfE32013 Never forget...
  • forte95forte95 Summoner of the Power Joined: Posts: 336 ✭✭✭
    King9999 wrote: »
    RichHobo wrote: »

Fuzzy guarding is a situation where you have a chance to guard against two or more attacks of different ranges/classes. So instead of guessing whether the next attack is a low attack or an overhead, fuzzy guarding lets you block both.
    Papinguim wrote: »

Hit confirming is exactly what it sounds like: recognizing that your opponent got hit, allowing you to safely follow up with something. A good example is Fei Long's Rekka Ken. If the first hit didn't connect, you need to have the presence of mind to not input the rest of the sequence, because that will leave you at a big disadvantage. Conversely, if the first hit did connect--that is, you confirmed the hit--then you would follow up with the rest of the sequence. It's a simple concept that takes a lot of practice to get right.

My understanding of plinking is wonky, so I'd rather not explain that one.

A "tier" is a ranking. So when someone asks what a character's tier is, they're actually asking what their ranking is.

Fuzzy guard is actually when you retain a standing hurtbox even when you are holding down-back to crouch-block. Normally, crouch-blocking would give you a crouching hurtbox.
    A common fuzzy guard situation is when you block something in a standing position. In this situation, you are actually in a fuzzy guard "state" for the duration in which you are in blockstun. This means for a short period of time after blocking in a standing position, you will be treated as if you are standing, even if you were holding down-back to crouch. So if the opponent jumps (say, Ryu) and immediately presses a button (let's say short), it will still connect, even if the attack he uses would miss if you were in a crouching position. The funny thing about fuzzy guard is that when you hold down-back, you are not considered crouching, but you are still considered crouch-blocking. This means you will not block overhead attacks. So in this situation, fuzzy guard is a bad thing because it causes you to get hit by overhead attacks that don't normally connect on a crouch-blocking opponent.

Plinking means priority linking. It's a technique that people use to make tight links more lenient. It can be compared to double tapping. Double tapping is when you very quickly tap a button twice, usually within a few frames of each other (press button A, then press button A again a split second later), so you have a better chance of executing the link. Plinking is when you very quickly tap TWO buttons on consecutive frames (press button A on frame 1, then button B on frame 2). When you do this in certain games (like SF4), one of the buttons will outprioritize the other, so it functions as if you tapped the higher-priority button twice on consecutive frames (the game reads that you pressed button A on frame 1, then button A again on frame 2). In this sense, plinking is like an insanely fast double tap (although you cannot actually double tap on consecutive frames).
    Mag/Dorm/Jam

Credits for avatar: RieyTails from deviantART
  • wolfeagle 847wolfeagle 847 Joined: Posts: 143
    What is "low crush"? Thanks!
    "All things excellent are as difficult as they are rare." - Spinoza
124»