The Optical Joystick Discussion

Comments

• DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I thought of something really sick. Imagine if Toodles and Gummownd got together and made an optical stick with a detachable shaft. Has that or something similar already happened? If not, how good an idea would that be?
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • therooktherook I Challenge My Fate! Joined: Posts: 3,458
    I thought of something really sick. Imagine if Toodles and Gummownd got together and made an optical stick with a detachable shaft. Has that or something similar already happened? If not, how good an idea would that be?
    I don't see why you can't use the Link with any optical JLF PCB....
    SFIV: Guy, Cody, E.Ryu, Poison.
    Gundam Extreme: Wing Zero(TV)
    Tekken: Lili, Asuka, A.King, Julia/Jaycee, Kunimitsu.
    SC: Taki/Natsu
    VF5FS: Eileen, El Blaze, Aoi.
  • DeathfistDeathfist Joined: Posts: 714 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't see why you can't use the Link with any optical JLF PCB....
    Hmmm, very Interesting, This is giving me all kinds of random ideas. Imagine an auto-detect hitbox arcade controller where the removal of the JLF activates the buttons and the connecting of the JLF turns them off? All this with an optical stick.
    Deathfist:
    -CONQUER, DOMINATE, OWN-
    -outwhatever your victim.
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,633
    necro bump. just a small question, did the original Sanwa FLASH optical jlf's use the stock JLF spring? or did they provide a spring with different tension?
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,980
    necro bump. just a small question, did the original Sanwa FLASH optical jlf's use the stock JLF spring? or did they provide a spring with different tension?

Both the original FLASH 1 joystick sets as well as the PCB-only upgrade kits came with a heavier spring to make up for the tension lost from having no microswitches. I think both still came with the stock JLF spring, they just included the extra heavier spring if you wanted to use that. This all being said, my unscientific tests have lead me to conclude that the spring Sanwa included was about the same kind of tension as two JLF springs intertwined together. I can't say exactly how much tension that is, but I think that the 1.5 or 2 lb. replacement JLF springs from Paradise Arcade are the way to go. More on the side of the 2 lb. spring in my opinion.
  • Inspectah_3dInspectah_3d Joined: Posts: 2
    Is there a way to install it on qanba q4raf? Haven't seen any info on how to.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    The Qanba Q4 Raf should have a standard Sanwa JLF.
    So the Toodles Spark or Rollie Flash 1 should install the same as any JLF install
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • Inspectah_3dInspectah_3d Joined: Posts: 2
    Darksakul wrote: »
    The Qanba Q4 Raf should have a standard Sanwa JLF.
    So the Toodles Spark or Rollie Flash 1 should install the same as any JLF install
    Ok,thanks... I was looking for the 5v port and I was told it was VCC that's attached to the USB cord was it. I wasn't sure if it was correct one or not.
    Yeah you can tap into the USB's 5volt like for your optical's power supply.
  • Sexperienced.Sexperienced. kdh Joined: Posts: 5,255
    i bought a happ 360 years ago but I gave up trying to use it because it was a hassle to assemble.
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 Old Ass Button Masher Joined: Posts: 261
    edited September 2013
    I just installed the Rollie tonight and I have my brown USB wire in the vcc screw slot on my ps360+ I twisted the 5+v for the Rollie with that brown USB wire and maybe it has nothing to do with it but no response from the ps3 and on win7 game settings it sees a left when it's physically neutral, it can do the left hemisphere but no right side directions. I am not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    Post edited by jpenguin77 on
    Just a hero for fun
  • pablofsipablofsi Joined: Posts: 124
    Can Spark CE/Rollie Flash be used in arcade cabinets? Example: Taito Type X2 (for KOF XIII Climax) or maybe Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I'm wondering about the voltages and connectors being compatible or not.
    pablofsi wrote: »
    Can Spark CE/Rollie Flash be used in arcade cabinets? Example: Taito Type X2 (for KOF XIII Climax) or maybe Tekken Tag Tournament 2. I'm wondering about the voltages and connectors being compatible or not.
    Yes you can. 5 volts is common in all arcade machines

edited October 2013
    How about connectors?

Edit: just read that Taito x2 brings 4x usb 2.0 connectors but I dunno if it would work out of the box with these sticks.

Edit 2: Do any optical pcbs work with Happ sticks?
    Post edited by pablofsi on
    Do any optical pcbs work with Happ sticks?
    The Spark and the Flash are designed for the Sanwa JLF. The Ascii Optical PCB would also work, it can be gutted from a Ascii optical joystick and transplanted into a JLF.

The short answer is NO. The Optical PCBs on the market does not work with a Happ.

Happ has their own line of optical sticks, although in my opinion they are lacking.
    Suzo optical is a much better if you are looking for american style but they are rare and pricey.

How about connectors?
    For the power, one wire to the VCC and other to GND

The rest you wire up as you would any joystick.
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,633
    edited October 2013
    Is this a common issue with the rollie optical FLASH1's?

I used it on a round2 madcatz TE 360 pcb (jumping the main usb vcc/redwire). It works normally, execution is great, nothing lags.

but it's finicky is some other ways.
    -Like turning on your xbox360 console with the guide button doesnt work.
    -also turning on your 360 with the joystick (madcatz TE round2 that has the FLASH1 pcb) already connected, it doesn't read the stick, i'd have to plug it when the console is already on.

I feel like its voltage issue, or something, but FLASH1's are meant to work with 5V right? just curious if this happens to anyone else...

it's not really that big of a deal, but ofc I worry that it might ruin something in the long run.
    Where to buy the new Happ opticals and why do you think they are lacking? do they lack sensitivity adjustement?
    There is no new ones, just old discontinued product thats floating around
  • jpenguin77jpenguin77 Old Ass Button Masher Joined: Posts: 261
    So my replacement johnny sent me worked like a champ. Just gotta figure out now what i did wrong to my shaft cause it seems shorter since i took it apart the shaft cover doesn't fit now.
    Just a hero for fun
  • bmckaybmckay Sword/Triplets/Dog/Raoh Joined: Posts: 3,388
    Has anyone considered making a Seimitsu optical? After a day or so of searching, I haven't found anything that implies anyone has had any success in it.
    "...and everything I say comes natural, and it's a thing of beauty like a Alicia Keys' face"
    -Robert Leroy Parker, 1902
    edited November 2013
    Happ/Suzo , Sanwa, MAS, Ascii and I think maybe IL made a optical joystick
    Toodles made a optical board for the JLF as well.

Paradise Arcade working on something but I can't confirm detail or if its an actual optical

Sega did something similar with Hall Effect sensors. Which work similar to Optical but with magnetic waves instead of light.
  • eczangiefeczangief GOD OF 1-HANDED ROM Joined: Posts: 1,877
    bmckay wrote: »
    Has anyone considered making a Seimitsu optical? After a day or so of searching, I haven't found anything that implies anyone has had any success in it.

I made an optical LS 55, however, it played like one of the old Wico Perfect 360s, since I used the Wico optical base. It was a mess, but was a lot of fun. Ran it gateless so it felt nothing like a Seimitsu stick apart from the spring.

I never took pictures, unfortunately. I would like to revisit the Seimitsu optical idea, since I prefer less throw and engage over the looser (and more forgiving) Sanwa feel.

My favorite stick currently is my Suzo Inductive with Kowal's JP shaft mod. Not sure it qualifies as an 'optical' since it uses induction, but its lacking physical switches which I guess is the point.
    I can't believe I'm Magnetro.
    Oh it was Wico I was thinking about.
    Wico experimented with stuff before anyone else in arcade controls.
    edited November 2013
    Oh and fwiw... The Suzo Inductive is such a strange beast that I wouldn't even compare it to an American style stick. Its closer to a Hitbox-- the throw and engage is seriously that tiny. After mashing on a Suzo, everything else feels super floppy.

On topic, I'm looking forward to trying the Spark CE at some point, as a sensitivity pot is very intriguing. I can only think of a handful of sticks with that feature.
  • sethian0sethian0 B PoSiTiVe - B KiND Joined: Posts: 1,079
    Inductive is nuts! Spark CE is great! Suzo feels way tighter because of the very small (gate), small gate, smaller engage haha.

I was reading through some stuff yesterday about Klevers and I noticed IST or ISmall was releasing some Fanta optical stick. has any heard if this has made it to the states or if there is any review\play test\more info on it.

All I found was the 20 second video of him proving an optical stick makes no noise.

Thanks in advance!!!
  • emphaticemphatic Joined: Posts: 477
    @armi0024 Cool, will the inductive PCB come with a suitable spring that feels close to a standard JLF? Also, 5-pin plug, does this mean that GND or +5V (or what will it run on) will be hooked up in another way?
    I love shmups and never play fighting games.
    Here's my Guwange stick: http://www.emphatic.se/?p=197
    Brian another question about your inductive will it be like this Suzo where you will need the ferrite core on the shaft to activate the directions or are you taking a different approach
    pablofsi wrote: »
    Where to buy the new Happ opticals and why do you think they are lacking? do they lack sensitivity adjustement?

Hey I should have replied to this earlier. If you want a cheaper alternative to the happ p360 look up MAS opticon (usually on ebay) MAS makes their own. Not quite a p360 but close. I heard it feels like the original competition gate (i think they make them out of new happ comps).

Any who, hope this helps.
  • XorXe-YaGaMiXorXe-YaGaMi Teh Mexican Tier Joined: Posts: 124 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited February 2014
    Hi all!
    I try to mod a HRAP2 SA whit a ASCII optical PCB, i remeber in the ps2 era some guys use his FLASH-1 stick in a PSX pcb, as i know you can only get a 3.5v using a PSX PCB instead of the 5v required but Flash-1 works good.

Now im trying to use my ASCII stick using the HRAP pcb, and the 4 basic directions (U,D,L,R) works well the problem is diagonals, i using diferent actuators (Kowal, JLF stock, Ascii) in my test whit the same results, i dont know exactly if the diagonals doesnt work for the lack of VCC power, or another thing, any idea or sugestion about my problem?

I forgot to mention, i test in a PS3 using a InPin converter.

Thanks!
    I love this Game
  • XMetalXMetal Just Be Madness Joined: Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Wuttup =) Been awhile, heh. Hope everyone's been good. Anyway, I noticed that the Rollie flash1 that they make now does NOT include the rubber ring that came with the original Sanwa Flash1! I contacted the dude and he says he never seen it, and that he owns a couple of originals. I was hoping someone with an original flash1 could possibly post a picture of it for me? That would be much appreciated.
    Hi all!
    I try to mod a HRAP2 SA whit a ASCII optical PCB, i remeber in the ps2 era some guys use his FLASH-1 stick in a PSX pcb, as i know you can only get a 3.5v using a PSX PCB instead of the 5v required but Flash-1 works good.

Now im trying to use my ASCII stick using the HRAP pcb, and the 4 basic directions (U,D,L,R) works well the problem is diagonals, i using diferent actuators (Kowal, JLF stock, Ascii) in my test whit the same results, i dont know exactly if the diagonals doesnt work for the lack of VCC power, or another thing, any idea or sugestion about my problem?

I forgot to mention, i test in a PS3 using a InPin converter.

Thanks!

That sounds pretty weird. I used to have an ASCII optical in my HRAP2SA and it worked perfectly with the stock actuator, diagonals and everything. I even used it on multiple PS3s with an inPin and it didn't give me any problems either. I wish I could give more technical advice, but it worked perfectly fine for me when I installed it on the stock Hori PCB. I didn't have to use a voltage converter to get 5 volts or anything.
  • SticksworthSticksworth Spice Runner Joined: Posts: 25
    Okay so I apologize in advance but I haven't read through all 10 pages so I don't know if this has been addressed but I have to know; do the optical joysticks work like analog joysticks or digital joysticks? Meaning, is it on/off or can you creep with it? Please & thank you.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,176
    Okay so I apologize in advance but I haven't read through all 10 pages so I don't know if this has been addressed but I have to know; do the optical joysticks work like analog joysticks or digital joysticks? Meaning, is it on/off or can you creep with it? Please & thank you.

Optical joysticks are digital.
  • Half-RoHalf-Ro Omae wa mo shinderu.... Joined: Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited April 2014
    Friend has two (capcom vs snk) ft sticks he is gonna give me. I am gonna drop the sticks in different cases (vlx, vs)

Just a few questions:

Will a jlf squate gate fit the stick because I do not like octo? Also, will a jlf replacment spring work in it? I would like to put a 2.5 or 3lbs spring from PAS in them.

Never mind, read back a couple pages and sounds like you can. Cool!
    If you mean the ASCII optical sticks, then yes and yes.
  • Half-RoHalf-Ro Omae wa mo shinderu.... Joined: Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Thanks for the confirmation.
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I don't know how relevant this is to the lot of you but I have an optical Korean joystick.
    Myungshin fanta is the base and instead of microswitches there is an optical pcb and a metallic panel (to ensure the infra red is f'ed with). It's (obviously) silent and really good. I had Gummo dual mod it @ Final Round XVII and he'd never heard of/seen on prior to that.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
    RaishinX wrote: »
    I don't know how relevant this is to the lot of you but I have an optical Korean joystick.
    Myungshin fanta is the base and instead of microswitches there is an optical pcb and a metallic panel (to ensure the infra red is f'ed with). It's (obviously) silent and really good. I had Gummo dual mod it @ Final Round XVII and he'd never heard of/seen on prior to that.

Got any pics? I'd love to take a look at this. Is this the optical joystick prototype that Crown or Myoungshin teased a while back?
  • fifty8mmfifty8mm Patines Americanos Joined: Posts: 431
    I have gots to see this!
    Need a camera but I can borrow a friend's iphone or something, I'm sure. It's basically a Myoungshin but instead of microswitches it's got a pcb with infrared lights n shit with a metal panel over it. It fits on the same knobs and is held down by screws using the same holes the microswitches.

It does not fit onto a Taeyoung fanta because the assembly is different and the plastic on the bottom of that thing just doesn't allow it without modification. It could probably fit onto a crown with some minor modification.

Silent and fairly sensitive. Probably more so than regular k-sticks. I'll do what I can to get pictures. Also you ask Gummo I believe it was he who modded it at FR17
  • fifty8mmfifty8mm Patines Americanos Joined: Posts: 431
    Need a camera but I can borrow a friend's iphone or something, I'm sure. It's basically a Myoungshin but instead of microswitches it's got a pcb with infrared lights n shit with a metal panel over it. It fits on the same knobs and is held down by screws using the same holes the microswitches.

It does not fit onto a Taeyoung fanta because the assembly is different and the plastic on the bottom of that thing just doesn't allow it without modification. It could probably fit onto a crown with some minor modification.

Silent and fairly sensitive. Probably more so than regular k-sticks. I'll do what I can to get pictures. Also you ask Gummo I believe it was he who modded it at FR17

I would cry if your just messing with us lol looking foward to seeing it!
    edited July 2014
    anyone heard anything solid about the korean addition from IST... need korean optical!!!!

0.jpg

See IST optical lever in video:

I am pretty sure this is what @RaishinX has since I saw his comment on that youtube video =)

I couldn't find it on ISTMalls website.
    fifty8mm wrote: »

I would cry if your just messing with us lol looking foward to seeing it!

sorry but that's basically it in the vids (couldn't find them at the time). The link from the site is indeed gone (I could just about swear Laugh sold me the last one off of IST). I like it but as far as returning to neutral the stick requires the rubber grommet be relatively firm. Soft rubber is a no go as it flicks all over the place getting undesired inputs. Good stuff, though.
  • Wade GarrettWade Garrett Joined: Posts: 144
    anyone know where you can still buy the Rollie Flash 1? Focus attack doesn't carry them anymore and I've searched every play I can think of
  • 69mustang69mustang Joined: Posts: 140
    anyone know where you can still buy the Rollie Flash 1? Focus attack doesn't carry them anymore and I've searched every play I can think of

Straight from the man himself

http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/17746/rollie-electronics-flash-1-core-optical-joystick-pcb-29-95/p1
  • ihopeidieihopeidie already dead Joined: Posts: 32
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,156
    So what is the consensus on the JLHS Flash1 PCB? Is it worth it? You would think everyone would slap one of these into their sticks.

• deseradadeserada Joined: Posts: 562
    The tactile response of microswitches is something I'm very attached to, even if you're going to go with the D2MV silent switch mod and get the slightest actuation force/tactile response in return.

No doubt I'd love to try it out someday, but the reason I haven't jumped on an optical PCB just yet is because my primary method of orienteering is by using the tactile feedback from diagonals to find what angle the stick is at relative to my hand (without looking down at it, of course). The angle of the stick itself is only a problem because I tend to use a lot of smaller and sloped sticks (i.e. not rectangular prisms, think the Namco) which can transit a good deal of my lap without my noticing, but I digress. If I don't know the angle, I can't predict where directionals are, and it causes erroneous input.

If I installed an optical pcb in anything, it'd most likely be a stick with a larger base, something like an HRAP where it would be more difficult to let the thing slip 30 degrees from horizontal while I'm playing (lol).
    So what is the consensus on the JLHS Flash1 PCB? Is it worth it? You would think everyone would slap one of these into their sticks.
    Is it worth it and is it feasible are two different questions.

Optical boards have the following Pros and cons

Pros:
    Near silent operation (only sound you hear is the actuator hitting the gate)
    No mechanical switches to wear out
    laser like precision the board's with IR emitters and detectors

Cons:
    Cost
    Needs a power source/ making sure you can get the recommended voltage for your joystick's optical PCB.
    Certain aftermarket actuators will not work (such as aluminum or white actuators) as they will reflect the IR light differently than the stock black actuator.
    Oversized actuators may also be an issue.
    Optical boards are only made for select Joysticks, such as the Flash 1 only works with the Sanwa JLF and various JLF clones, fans of other Joystick types may not have a option.