The Optical Joystick Discussion

Comments

• KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,735 mod
    Cross posting from the Namco thread. I got my second ASCII stick in yesterday from eczangief. I stayed up late last night and got it installed.

img2333tn.jpg

Toodles, it sucks that the PCB is doable and the housing is the problem. I can understand you'd need a large run for something like that. It's seems too quirky for someone to have to small batch of them.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • beastSPLbeastSPL you must drink!! Joined: Posts: 448
    Nice!! I also enjoy the table cloth!!
    modding TEs to do funny things.
    need to add HSS-0130 to my collection!!
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,980
    Nice!! I also enjoy the table cloth!!

I agree with beastSPL on this one; I love the Christmas themed snowman tablecloth. I had to actually look for the Namco Arcade Joysticks in that pic since the tablecloth was too good! :looney:
    I agree with beastSPL on this one; I love the Christmas themed snowman tablecloth. I had to actually look for the Namco Arcade Joysticks in that pic since the tablecloth was too good! :looney:
    Haha. I have to do my modding on the kitchen table now because my desk is overtaken by sticks. I didn't even think about the tablecloth in the picture. One of these days I'll have a sexy work table. There's also a can of fruit salad in the picture which is the 'temporary holder of screws.'
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • dogworthdogworth Joined: Posts: 107
    does anyone have high res pictures of the partside of the ascii or even one of what is under the flash's cover? if there isn't any, if one of you that have an ascii wouldn't mind taking a few good shots of the part side i would very much appreciate it.
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830
    ASCII Optical.
    asciiphotodiode.png

ASCII Optical.
    asciipcbunder.png

No high resolution. :sad:
    Maybe someone can do.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,778
    Hmmm. The ascii uses four transistors to act as their inverters, while the p360/flash uses an actual inverter chip. Cool.
    that is perfect. thanks. it doesn't look like Tr1 or Tr2 have markings and the only one that is hard to see is the value on R3-R6, which should be the same for all 4.
  • FreezerBFreezerB Joined: Posts: 1,343
    Maybe we could ask Madcatz to help out in a production of optical sticks? Haha, prolly not (or maybe? Who knows.).

If there was a rallied effort to get Toodles' opticals in production, I know I'd be down for it.
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
  • ComradeTaoComradeTao Rock It! Joined: Posts: 1,278
    Yeah, I would pitch in what I can afford just to see it done.
    With God, all things are possible.

The words "Hype", "Community", "Salty", and "Troll" have lost meaning due to overuse.
    Just out of curiosity, how are the newer P360s? Getting interested in the whole optical joysticks and might as well start at the most accessible.
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
  • spideymanspideyman Much Luv to the Midwest Joined: Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i have a mas stick with a p360 that is a few years old. it's not a wico p360 but i really like it. i use my mas for mvc2 and jap sticks for everything else.
    Much love to the midwest.
  • XMetalXMetal Just Be Madness Joined: Posts: 368 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i know this was posted somewhere else awhile ago, but i couldn't finde it. can someone link me to the picture that shows how to solder the wires on the ascii clone to the pcb?
    I believe this is JDM's diagram..

94e3fe8b.jpg
    ah, thanks so much beast.
    Thank you jdm714.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Thank you jdm714.
    jdm714 is my hero. He knows everything about everything. I want to see a thread where he is corrected so I can feel better about myself. :lol:
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
    ah, thanks so much beast.

Thank JDM!! I didn't make it, just passing the info along!
  • meusmeus Joined: Posts: 2,051
    Yo Ladies and Gentlemens i found the deal of the year and its brand new never used Sanwa Flash1 complete with fucking awesome sticker too.

s0z_9-img540x400-1263718735uggkwp99.jpg
    s0z_9-img530x400-1263718727pg3brc99.jpg
    Meus
    i fvcjumkne love street fighter
    tyhank you shoryuken1!!!!!!
    àlso nammers with fake tittieeeees
    How and where?!? Meus you're my hero !! Lol that's too awesome.. Where's your time machine cause I want to buy a BNIB Flash1 also.. Words can't describe.. Can't wait for my ASCII to get here too haha
  • Ketchy KechKetchy Kech RAZALASH Joined: Posts: 862
    Holy shit, meus, how and where is the question of the hour lol, Congrats man, you astound me!

edit: also how much was the steal??!
    || MvC3: Ironman, Tron, Super Skrull || SSF4 v.2012: Guy || || BB CSII: Tsubaki Yayoi ||
    || UMvC3: R. Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Ryu || 3SOE: Elena || SkullGirls: Painwheel / Double (?) || *

if he tells you it might make your ears bleed and your wallet cry... hahah
    haha most likely, I'll take the info via PM too ;] ~~ ~
    || MvC3: Ironman, Tron, Super Skrull || SSF4 v.2012: Guy || || BB CSII: Tsubaki Yayoi ||
    || UMvC3: R. Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Ryu || 3SOE: Elena || SkullGirls: Painwheel / Double (?) || *

How and where?!? Meus you're my hero !! Lol that's too awesome.. Where's your time machine cause I want to buy a BNIB Flash1 also.. Words can't describe.. Can't wait for my ASCII to get here too haha
    How/ by looking on the web site. Where/ on japan country and auction with highest bid won. If i had time machine would have won lots of lottery and buy few flash1 too. Also thanks for ur kind words.
    Holy shit, meus, how and where is the question of the hour lol, Congrats man, you astound me!

Thanks, How same asnwer upper question. If ppl want and need it bad also by looking hard ur dreams will come true.
    Price come to 175 usd
    if he tells you it might make your ears bleed and your wallet cry... hahah
    Price come to 175 usd
    haha most likely, I'll take the info via PM too ;] ~~ ~
    it wasnt cheap but its brand new flash1 cant ask more.
    Meus
    very good price especially since its brand spanking new, you gotta show me the ways of your japanese auction searching! Godly, man! great stuff, I wanna see that dual flashed out HSS lol

very good price especially since its brand spanking new, you gotta show me the ways of your japanese auction searching! Godly, man! great stuff, I wanna see that dual flashed out HSS lol
    Thanks the way of my hunt on japan auction is jedi way lol. That is my first flash1 brand new. I had second one scored but the deal went soar so noo 2nd flasf1 for me : (. But im close to score second one again but this time need only more money for it.

My dual hss will have ascii asnwer on it. Im putting both flash1 on my B_E cases the twins.
    Meus
    Yo Ladies and Gentlemens i found the deal of the year and its brand new never used Sanwa Flash1 complete with fucking awesome sticker too.

http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/meus/s0z_9-img540x400-1263718735uggkwp99.jpg
    http://i592.photobucket.com/albums/tt2/meus/s0z_9-img530x400-1263718727pg3brc99.jpg

I'll never understand why Sanwa threw in a GT-Y Octagonal Gate with every JLHS-8Y FLASH 1 or HS-ASSY FLASH 1 PCB though. But, I suppose they were just trying something different with their joysticks. Great stuff on that brand new FLASH 1 though, meus! It even comes with both wiring harnesses with the quick-disconnects on them and that weird pink accessory thing that came with the FLASH 1s. I STILL have not a clue as to what exactly it's for though! :xeye:

I'll definitely get one of these someday! And when I do, I'll be doing what you're planning on doing and buying a case from Br0ken_Engli5h and putting it in there. There's not a single joystick case out there more deserving of such a great joystick, in my opinion!
    It is a Wire Tap from JST.
    JST CL Connector.

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eCL.pdf
    It is a Wire Tap from JST.
    JST CL Connector.

http://www.jst-mfg.com/product/pdf/eng/eCL.pdf

Oho, jdm714 comes to my rescue again! That's a great specifications sheet, though I still wouldn't know what a wire tap does. I think I get it; it would provide voltage to the Sanwa FLASH 1's voltage wire without having to cut and splice the main voltage wire of the arcade cabinet or something. I do hope someone can explain this one.
  • brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    Yeah, that's basically it, you can tap into a preexisting voltage wire without having to solder a new wire to the source.

Not solder; arcade cabinets have a power supply that uses screw down barrier strips for the outgoing power. You can either use that fork QD and screw it down on the +5v source on the power supply, or use the tap to get the power from one of the other wires coming from it, or from the jamma harness.
    Yeah, that's basically it, you can tap into a preexisting voltage wire without having to solder a new wire to the source.
    Not solder; arcade cabinets have a power supply that uses screw down barrier strips for the outgoing power. You can either use that fork QD and screw it down on the +5v source on the power supply, or use the tap to get the power from one of the other wires coming from it, or from the jamma harness.

Aha! Thanks for the replies brighenne and Toodles. Good to know it's not an absolutely necessary component to installing a FLASH 1 into a home arcade stick. :bgrin:

Speaking of which, does anybody know if the Wico or Happ Perfect 360, ASCII Answer, and Sanwa FLASH 1 PCBs use the same or similar optical mechanisms? I'm just wondering what kind of parts I'd need to buy in order to replace the optics on a dying joystick.
    ascii may have used optics made by sharp, that are now discontinued.
    Uh, those look identical to the LED/receiver pairs in the p360 and sanwa flash, and the only company I know of that makes that model isn't sharp. You have a citation somewhere?
    Citation-Needed-wikipedia-819731_500_271.jpg
    actually, i don't have anything concrete. i was told by someone who seemed to know what they were talking about that is was made by sharp and was given a part number for them which is discontinued. i'd prefer what i was told to be wrong and would like the correct info if someone has it. i'm looking to fix a burned out ascii. i'll edit the previous post and see if i can get more info about it.
    i heard before that the ascii flash clone has a shorter engage distance than the jlf. can someone confirm this and tell me by how much?
    Can anyone tell me which ASCII sticks have the optical in them? I'd like to try and snipe one in an auction.
    For PlayStation
    ASCII Stick 3 (?????????3)
    ?plugin=ref&serial=118

ASCII Stick Zero 3 (?????????ZERO3)
    ?plugin=ref&serial=154

ASCII Stick Justice (????????? ??????)
    ?plugin=ref&serial=146

For Dreamcast
    ASCII Stick FT (?????????FT)
    ?plugin=ref&serial=80

ASCII Stick FT Special: SNK Version (?????????FT SP SNK?????)
    ?plugin=ref&serial=205

ASCII Stick FT Special: Capcom Version (?????????FT SP ?????????)
    ?plugin=ref&serial=204
  • eczangiefeczangief GOD OF 1-HANDED ROM Joined: Posts: 1,877
    If anyone buys the ASCII Stick 3 (programmable) to gut the Opticlone I'll buy the rest of it back form you :]]]]] In fact please do.

AFAIK there IS a microswitch version of the SNK/Capcom sticks as well so be careful.
    I can't believe I'm Magnetro.
    The SNK and Capcom for PlayStation do not have Optical Joystick.
    But the Dreamcast of SNK and Capcom do have Optical.

That is why I list only for Dreamcast, and not for PlayStation.
    So there is not really anything to be careful about.