Paewang Revolution (Mayflash) Modding Tutorial ver. Laugh [Lots of pictures]

laughlaugh eTokki.com MasterJoined: Posts: 1,929
Although there are many tutorials on how to mod these sticks, I thought I would write my own version of the tutorial because my method requires the least amount of tools and modifications. The benefits of my method is that it requires absolutely zero modifications to the case itself and clean and easy installation of parts.

For those looking for the pinout information of the Paewang Revolution PCB, pinout images and notes can be found in the [Wiring] section of the tutorial down the page.

[Required Tools]

First of all, the required tools for this project are

1 x Phillips Screw Driver
1 x Soldering Iron
1 x Craft Knife or an X-acto Knife
sv102448.jpg

[Disassembly]

Flip the stick over and peel off the rubber feet to reveal all the screws
sv102449.jpg

Unscrew all the screws and take off the bottom plate
sv102452.jpg

Unscrew and take off the button support
sv102455.jpg

Unplug the directional wires from the PCB
sv102457.jpg
sv102458.jpg

Unscrew the button PCB and the main PCB and take them out
sv102463.jpg
sv102464.jpg

Wiggle this joint gently and break off the two PCBs from each other
sv102468.jpg
sv102469.jpg

You can throw away the big button PCB and just keep the smaller main PCB
sv102472.jpg

Let's start removing all the stock parts
sv102474.jpg

Remove the E-clip from the bottom of the joystick, then unscrew the 4 screws to take out the stock joystick
sv102476.jpg
sv102477.jpg
sv102478.jpg
sv102480.jpg
sv102482.jpg

Now remove the stock buttons by squeezing the tabs that are keeping them snapped in place
sv102483.jpg
sv102484.jpg

[Installing the new parts]

A Sanwa JLF-TP-8Y-SK joystick and Crown CWB203C buttons will be used for the new parts
sv102487.jpg

Snap the CWB203C buttons in place one by one
sv102491.jpg
sv102496.jpg

You could even leave the buttons like that without the nuts, but I went the extra mile and used CWB203C button spacers. These spacers drastically reduce the amount of time and effort it takes to screw-on the nuts when installing the buttons onto thin panels such as metal panels and plastic panels. Notice how perfect the fit is on the third photo.
sv102498.jpg
sv102499.jpg
sv102502.jpg

Screw-on the nuts, and that's all for button installation. The size/thickness of CWB203C buttons are perfect for these cases and does not require sanding of nuts or button holes.
sv102506.jpg

Now take the JLF and disassemble it
sv102507.jpg
sv102508.jpg

Take a craft knife or an X-acto knife, and cut away 4 of these spots on the body of the JLF . These spots will be used to mount the JLF using 4 screws.
sv102512.jpg
sv102513.jpg
sv102522.jpg

We will be using the existing screw holes to mount the JLF onto the case
sv102523.jpg
sv102524.jpg

However, if you try to use the screws from the stock joystick on the JLF, you will notice that the screws are too long.
sv102526.jpg

So I used these shorter screws (found on Fanta sticks at the microswitches) to amount the JLF, and they're the perfect size and length.
sv102528.jpg
sv102533.jpg
sv102532.jpg

[Wiring]

In this tutorial, I used a custom harness set to reduce the amount of work, but you can use any wire to connect the buttons to the PCB.
sv102536.jpg
sv102540.jpg
sv102541.jpg

Following the pinout diagrams below (thanks zeetes for the detailed pinout!), solder the corresponding wires to each of the 8 buttons. Run the ground wire to each of the buttons as well.
pcbbuttonlayout.png
paewangrevolutionpcb.jpg
sv102543.jpg
sv102546.jpg

Now, let's wire the JLF using a H5P harness. The wire colors will be different if you use a JLF-H harness and also if you install the microswitch assembly in a different direction from my example.
sv102549.jpg
sv102550.jpg
sv102551.jpg
sv102555.jpg

Here's a photo of the inside after all the wiring has been completed
sv102556.jpg

Final result!

sv102560.jpg
sv102562.jpg

Here's the photo album on imageshack.
http://img44.imageshack.us/gal.php?g=sv102443.jpg
Rolento in SSF4!

eTokki.com - for the best arcade parts, converters, joysticks and more!

Comments

• fokkusuhaundofokkusuhaundo true bubble struggle Joined: Posts: 695
    Awesome work Laugh.

I modded a Mayflash and my method to mount the JLF stick was practically the same as yours except I used the stock screws by cutting them shorter with a wire crimper.
    youはshock!
    PSN: nxsr
  • DemoninjaDemoninja Joined: Posts: 760
    Wow, that mod looks so easy. If I had the money I would try it.

Edit: Just curious, will you be selling things like the shorter screws and spacers as well?
  • 123-Genei-Jin123-Genei-Jin , ?????, Profit! Joined: Posts: 538
    Suscribed. Really like the way you did it.
    :lp::lk::mp::qcf::qcf:+:p:
  • Linear04Linear04 Joined: Posts: 136
    Selling the shorter screws and spacers would be nice, it'd help the people planning to mod rather than just use the pcb
  • Dai_Dai_ Joined: Posts: 368
    Selling the shorter screws and spacers would be nice, it'd help the people planning to mod rather than just use the pcb

Hell, i think he can even sell a complete kit just to open>mod.

Also, suscribed.
  • protomanSTiprotomanSTi aka paikman Joined: Posts: 1,618
    What does the other side of the pcb look like, ie How do you wire the guide/start/back+select button when dropping this in non-revolution sticks.
    Thanks for the tutorial laugh
  • FunkyPFunkyP Chicks with Guns Joined: Posts: 1,545
    they look like standard metal screws you'd find at any hardware store for about $2, the length and diameter would be helpful to know though
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,200
    Awesome tutorial.

What I am interested in is mounting a korean stick (I really want to put together a korean stick! and this takes korean buttons easily.)
    I figure Laugh of all people would be able to do that ;)

If not a korean stick, maybe how easy it would be to put in a LS-32/LS-32-01

<edit> Where did you get/make that custom harness? I would almost certainly be getting this stick if I could learn that
  • laughlaugh eTokki.com Master Joined: Posts: 1,929
    Wow, that mod looks so easy. If I had the money I would try it.

Edit: Just curious, will you be selling things like the shorter screws and spacers as well?

Also, suscribed.
    Sure, I can definitely offer those button spacers and shorter screws through the web store. Maybe the custom harness as well. In any case, they should be added to the store soon.
    What does the other side of the pcb look like, ie How do you wire the guide/start/back+select button when dropping this in non-revolution sticks.
    Thanks for the tutorial laugh
    This is how the other side of the PCB looks like. Wiring the start/select/guide/turbo is straight up standard.
    http://www.etokki.com/image/cache/PW_PCB_B-500x500.jpg
    they look like standard metal screws you'd find at any hardware store for about $2, the length and diameter would be helpful to know though
    I don't have the tool to measure the diameter of the screw, but the length is about 16mm when I measured it with a ruler.
    Awesome tutorial.

What I am interested in is mounting a korean stick (I really want to put together a korean stick! and this takes korean buttons easily.)
    I figure Laugh of all people would be able to do that ;)

If not a korean stick, maybe how easy it would be to put in a LS-32/LS-32-01

<edit> Where did you get/make that custom harness? I would almost certainly be getting this stick if I could learn that
    I'm actually investigating a way to install Korean sticks into these cases myself also, and I have an idea. I'll definitely post it if it works after I try it out.

Putting in a LS-32 is fairly straightforward. You just need to shave off all of the mounting fixtures in the case, and mount the LS-32 up against the panel using screws. It's not clean and screws will be visible from the top, but that's about the only way to make it work. I believe there are pictures and guides out there for LS-32.

The custom harness was handmade using crimp-on tools and such, but I'm looking into supplying these as well.
    Rolento in SSF4!

• OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,190 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    hows the shaft height? is it taller than the madcatz te after the mod?
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • zeeteszeetes I <3 Namco Joined: Posts: 1,060
    very nice laugh!! great tutorial
    I'm actually investigating a way to install Korean sticks into these cases myself also, and I have an idea. I'll definitely post it if it works after I try it out.

http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=169569&p=6564829&viewfull=1#post6564829

that was an interesting way of installing a fanta into a mayflash
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre すごい!!!!! Joined: Posts: 2,200
    If you can get a korean stick mounted in there you've got yourself a sale :)

One quick question, you mention that you used button spacers, but I don't see them on your site. Do you sell them? I know the sites new, but I figure I'd ask.
  • FreezerBFreezerB Joined: Posts: 1,343
    Is that JLF mounted well? The stick doesn't lie flush against the bottom of the case.

Also, I think you should offer a kit consisting the Paewang/Mayflash with the JLF, buttons and screws.
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
  • Linear04Linear04 Joined: Posts: 136
    just have a question for the crown buttons you used

why are the solders for both connections to the button not all the same? some of the buttons have the ground wire soldered to the top left or bottom

or does it not matter at all? i've never used korean buttons before

why are the solders for both connections to the button not all the same? some of the buttons have the ground wire soldered to the top left or bottom

with most microswitches it doesn't matter which side is the positive or the negative as long as they can both make a connection to each other.
  • Perfect LegendPerfect Legend Messatsu Joined: Posts: 632
    Is there a tutorial anywhere that shows how to make a case mountable for fantas?
    Hey guys I am new to this game. Who is the #1 character?
  • osnakeosnake Bison Dollars Joined: Posts: 59
    Is it confirmed you can use that PCB on a Xbox 360?
  • seraphusseraphus Joined: Posts: 38
    Is it confirmed you can use that PCB on a Xbox 360?

Yes, it's confirmed. It's not confirmed that MS might block it with an update.
  • DeTrunDeTrun Joined: Posts: 30
    If there will be a complete mod kit (Paewang + spacers, screws, JLF, Crowns, harness of JLF and PCB) , I think this is going to be my first stick purchase :)
    hows the shaft height? is it taller than the madcatz te after the mod?
    The shaft height is just about right. It's not taller than a madcatz TE after the mod for sure.
    http://www.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?t=169569&p=6564829&viewfull=1#post6564829

that was an interesting way of installing a fanta into a mayflash
    I saw that too, but I'm not sure how good that will actually play.
    If you can get a korean stick mounted in there you've got yourself a sale :)

One quick question, you mention that you used button spacers, but I don't see them on your site. Do you sell them? I know the sites new, but I figure I'd ask.
    I think I should be able to test out my idea on mounting a Korean stick within a week from today. You guys should find out for sure after I've tried.

I will be selling the button spacer/washer through the site, and it will be added no later than today. :-)
    Is that JLF mounted well? The stick doesn't lie flush against the bottom of the case.

Also, I think you should offer a kit consisting the Paewang/Mayflash with the JLF, buttons and screws.
    That JLF is mounted pretty well. It is sitting evenly against the stick mounting screw holes to get the right height for the stick. If the stick were to sit flush against the case, the JLF would be too tall.

I can definitely do a kit if there's enough interest.

You have a good set of eyes, man. I didn't use the same soldering point for gound in half of the buttons, because both points are one and the same. You can use either points for the same function, so it doesn't matter.
    Rolento in SSF4!

• speedsterharryspeedsterharry Joined: Posts: 783
    Yes, it's confirmed. It's not confirmed that MS might block it with an update.
    Do you mean the PCB doesn't have any MS-licensed security chip ?
  • 30243024 Face Da Mighty Bison Joined: Posts: 52
    do you know if you can use 30mm Sanwa snap ons for this mod?!
  • KayinKayin rawr Joined: Posts: 2,115
    do you know if you can use 30mm Sanwa snap ons for this mod?!

You'll have to file down the button holes to 30mm.
    "Games improve execution? Really? I thought the only way to improve execution is to post retarded questions about how to use a stick in tech talk." - Starcade RIP
    paewang_revolution_pcb.jpg

hacked mine yesterday, thanks for the layout ryan! i tried to illustrate where all of the points are on the pcb
  • 30243024 Face Da Mighty Bison Joined: Posts: 52
    i might give this a try considering its dual, but wouldnt M$ update to block unlicensed products to be used?? M$ are too greedy.
    Hey guys,

CWB203C button spacers and shorter screws used in the tutorial have been added to my store as of today.

I would like to add the custom harness soon, but that will take some time since it's a handmade product.

zeetes - That's great to hear! I think the thread will get more interesting when more people start receiving theirs.
    Rolento in SSF4!

• DeTrunDeTrun Joined: Posts: 30
    I think I should be able to test out my idea on mounting a Korean stick within a week from today. You guys should find out for sure after I've tried.

Oh, I just noticed this. I'm really looking forward to this! I hope it won't be too complicated to put it into the Paewang.
  • BigopinionBigopinion The Glasscock Abides Joined: Posts: 554
    Wow, this is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Kind of curious about the 360 support and whether or not MS could apply a patch that kills this stick, if only just a yes/no. I wouldn't change my mind on it even if they could, if they do block it I could mod another official MadCatz PCB I've got into it anyways. This thing looks really easy to mod and your walkthrough is dead-on laugh, thanks for this. May end up buying one through your store soon. :)

Edit: just looked at checkout, haven't bought one yet because I've gotta sit down and hammer a budget out, but is there any way you might add comments on your shipping types? All that's really said about shipping is that they're more or less expensive than each other. It would be nice to know estimated arrival times, how reliable the service is, stuff like that. Thanks!
    ♫Mine Eyes Have Seen The Glory Of The Coming Of The Arm...♫
    paewang_revolution_pcb.jpg

hacked mine yesterday, thanks for the layout ryan! i tried to illustrate where all of the points are on the pcb

Oh BTW, do you mind if I add these pics to the first post?
    Rolento in SSF4!

• FarpenoodleFarpenoodle \o/ Joined: Posts: 604
    Nice! I also used that method to mount the stick. I can verify it's about the right height. It's the cleanest way to do it IMO.

If you've got spare Hori buttons you can also swap Sanwa microswitches in and use those if you want. Personally, I think it's really easy to grind out the holes since it's plastic so you might as well do that if you want Sanwa/Seimitsu.
    Play Arcana Heart 3. It's a good game. :tup:
    Round1.sg
  • masturfadermasturfader Fr:Russia with glove Joined: Posts: 1,425
    where can i draw power for an optical joystick.
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    where can i draw power for an optical joystick.

The 5v line, the point on the PCB where the red wire from the USB cable is.
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830
    Should be red wire of USB.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • YamatoYamato Joined: Posts: 88
    Okay Guys, i know my voice on shoryuken is not even a mumble, but i ordered 2 of these babies last week.
    Posted monday evening, arrived friday evening by EMS (From Korea to France).
    Let's make things clear, that thing is going to change everything about dual mods: easy soldering, fully common ground, it get recognized as a genuine 360 pad on windows 7, no hassle hacking triggers, easy to put a capcom game's config.
    if you're starting from scraps with an empty arcade stick, just use that Joytron PCB, with little soldering knowledge you'll still be able to get yourself a nice dual setup, with a single cable and easy switching between consoles.
    I'll post some photos tomorrow.

@3024 and Bigopinion : This thing about microsoft blocking the PCB is pretty much impossible. i think the microsoft chip has been cracked and dumped in a very clean way. If microsoft blocks the PCB, it will probably block every pad made before, since i don't think you can "update" your pad.
    http://www.facebook.com/yamatodtc Facebook page with my work
    http://www.twitch.tv/yamato_fr FGC french community well known streaming
    I'm done with arcade stick modding and parts selling business, but still like to modd sometimes for friends and myself.
    Oh BTW, do you mind if I add these pics to the first post?

ryan- i don't mind at all!
  • tatakitataki misplaced Joined: Posts: 7,674

This please ^
    Fighting game tutorials, matches, and funny stuff:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/novriltataki
    Former account:
    http://www.youtube.com/user/playtowin
  • tekniqstekniqs Joined: Posts: 681
    hey..so the guys with the pcb already..do you think it would be viable to replace the PS3 TE pcb with this and have it dual modded that way? i'm very interested in dual modding my TE when i get back to the US and this seems to be the way to go.

edit: like could you keep everything in TE in place (the buttons/QDs, etc), but replace the pcb, solder the wires in and whatnot?
    zeetes - the pinout diagram has been added to the first post. Thanks again zeetes!

tataki - I would also like to offer kits, but the fact that the custom harness I used in the tutorial is handmade is the only thing that's preventing me from doing so. I'm looking into getting those harnesses made cheaper and easier, and when that's cleared, I can definitely add a kit to the store.

tekniqs - Someone more familiar with TE's innards could tell you more definitively, but yes, you could replace the TE's PCB with this one without touching the buttons/harnesses/QDs exactly the way you are thinking. The only semi-challenging wiring would be the Turbo and Home buttons.
    Rolento in SSF4!

thanks for the info..i couldn't care less about the turbo but the home button will have to stay haha!
  • SinJulSinJul Tiger Bazooka! Joined: Posts: 291
    thanks for the info..i couldn't care less about the turbo but the home button will have to stay haha!
    To use the Paewang Revolution with a PS3 console or PC, simply hold down the Turbo button when you connect the Paewang Revolution to your PS3 console or PC.

You should care about the turbo button. You need it to play on PS3/PC. :P
    http://www.akihabarashop.jp The best shop for Arcade Parts!
    http://sinjul.wordpress.com/ My Arcade Stick News/Reviews blog!
    Just ordered a stick, I went with the cheapest shipping...I know it's not necessarily the most reliable but I like to think that somehow, someday they'll get my package to me. I don't really have time to use it right now anyways. Will post fresh-out-of-box impressions when it shows up and I get the chance to sit down and use it.

Didn't order any mod parts for it though, not yet. I'm still pretty scrubby when it comes to modding; I'd like to learn how eventually and this will probably be my project stick. :)

Laugh, you're offering Sanwa OBSF-24s and the snap-in Crown buttons, would they work in the Paewang as-is or would you need to widen the button slots? Those screw-in Crowns are dope, may just not even worry about making any adjustments and get those whenever I get around to modding.

Again, really clean wiring, great walkthrough, cool product. Thanks!
    24mm Buttons are small for 28mm holes.
    Crown Buttons fit no problem.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Ohhh ok, didn't know what size the holes were. Cool, I'll probably end up ordering parts eventually, way too busy with school to worry about this stuff right now :(
  • shortman1243shortman1243 Joined: Posts: 261
    I have 2 simple questions about the pcb. Do you have to scrap the medal of the front to solder the turbo/select/home/start buttons??? My second question is about the L D R U??? For example do mean L is for the left micro switch or for the left side? Thanks for the help.
    No scrape.

L D R U mean the directional input.
    Not position of Microswitch.

Like how is on regular PCB.
    lol didn't read the part about turbo and ps3/pc!

k last question...i'm a TOTAL noob with soldering but i want to give it a try...how hard (from 1-10) would it be to take out the TE pcb and replace it with this, wire it up/solder, etc? only thing i'll be replacing is the pcb...stick/buttons stays.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,806 mod
    lol didn't read the part about turbo and ps3/pc!

k last question...i'm a TOTAL noob with soldering but i want to give it a try...how hard (from 1-10) would it be to take out the TE pcb and replace it with this, wire it up/solder, etc? only thing i'll be replacing is the pcb...stick/buttons stays.

Just take it the PCB out and a custom made. Or just mod the Mayflash, it's helluva easier to lug around for tournaments compared to the TE.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    ya but i have no trouble carrying around my TE haha
  • xnammerxxnammerx Joined: Posts: 750
    laugh what if we paid you to do the moddifications? O_O with purchase of the joystick.

As in what he did to the buttons and joystick with the re-wiring and all.