Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward moment Joined: Posts: 2,458
    Why buy a new stick you're going to have to mod anyway when you can simply just mod your existing stick?

I don't know, but the time I have is short. I have several options.

1) Mod my Xbox stick to be PS3/PS2 compatible, which I can't do myself and requires about as much money as another stick, and can require time if I buy the parts, wait for them to come, send my stick out to get modded, wait for it to come back, etc.

2) Buy a PS3 stick, and later down the road mod them both.

3) Do something with my Tekken 6 stick

Final Round only uses Playstations, which I think is a terrible decision for folks like me lol
    Saikyo Joe does whatever the hell Saikyo Joe wants to do - Luc

The answer to your question is no.
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,980
    I can't help but feel that people are starting to misinterpret the point of this thread. The whole idea of this was to have a general discussion; I don't think that the intent of the Think Out Loud thread was to be a place to ask advice or anything. You can easily make a new thread for that or check out some already existing resources.

I dunno folks, that's my two cents. By the way, that was me "thinking out loud." :razz:

PS: Just throwing it out there also, that my post was not specifically directed at anybody, it's just based on the trend I noticed the past couple of pages.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,386 mod
    I can't help but feel that people are starting to misinterpret the point of this thread. The whole idea of this was to have a general discussion; I don't think that the intent of the Think Out Loud thread was to be a place to ask advice or anything. You can easily make a new thread for that or check out some already existing resources.

I dunno folks, that's my two cents. By the way, that was me "thinking out loud." :razz:

PS: Just throwing it out there also, that my post was not specifically directed at anybody, it's just based on the trend I noticed the past couple of pages.
    Can't help it. People here in tech talk are a helpful bunch who'll simply answer a question instead of berate/troll someone.
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,834
    I will help others in any Thread.

But this Thread say in First Post not to ask questions.
    Laugh.

This is like becoming the Absolute Noobie Thread.
    But maybe these questions are thought out loud.
    Laugh.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    I will help others in any Thread.

But this Thread say in First Post not to ask questions.
    Laugh.

This is like becoming the Absolute Noobie Thread.
    But maybe these questions are thought out loud.
    Laugh.
    Who knows, maybe for some people, every thought is a question.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,530
    crazy though for the night for me: wouldn't it be cool to integrate one of those tiny laptops like the ASUS with a custom arcade stick case? Convenient MAME on the go!
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    crazy though for the night for me: wouldn't it be cool to integrate one of those tiny laptops like the ASUS with a custom arcade stick case? Convenient MAME on the go!

I've been thinking about something similar as well, but with either a PS2 Slim or micro-ITX mobo based PC.
  • pennylanepennylane Joined: Posts: 382
    I really like the spring stiffness of the LS-32 on my JLF. A little stiffer than the JLF spring but moving it doesn't take much energy either.

I'm currently debating whether I should use my modded actuator that reduces throw or stick with the stick JLF actuator. Sometimes I feel like the reduced throw gets in the way of doing motions, but other times I feel like the reduced throw will force me to not ride the gate more, and it makes dashing and such easier.
    Bay Area / USF4, SFV / PSN: Rufus_Gunderson
    Voted for the TE in Engaget. I'm thinking it's high time an arcade stick won an "of the year" award.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/vote-for-the-2009-engadget-awards/
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,632
    I just finished dual-modding a PS3 TE with a padhacked 360 SF4 FightPad PCB and a DPDT toggle switch.
  • brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    I wish they made a nice looking pushbutton 4pdt.

• mekkanicmekkanic A Pimp Named Buford Joined: Posts: 636
  • MonoTekETeAMonoTekETeA Yippy Kie Yo Yie Yay Joined: Posts: 565
    Mek, there is already a thread for that.

Brig, why not just find a cap for it? I think most of those switches are made to be capped.
    I can phoenix CPS2 boards. Contact me if you need it done.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,735 mod
    Anyone own a cab? I have a serious urge to get one despite being in small-as-hell-town TX.

There's a local vendor who has 20 or so cabs in various (mostly poor) conditions. The one I'm after is a 4 slot Neo-Geo MVS. He has to get a new chassis for the monitor but overall it's in good shape. He wants $300 for it. That works for me since it isn't gutted and has the original Metal Slug. I would honestly rather have a Candy Cab. It seems like a decent compromise though for a wooden cabinet.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,549
    Voted for the TE in Engaget. I'm thinking it's high time an arcade stick won an "of the year" award.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/vote-for-the-2009-engadget-awards/

I did too, but man, it has only 2.3% of the votes while the Vision Goggles from MW2 and Wii Motion Plus have the 23% and 27% D=
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KOF XIV - Love, Muimui, Iori
    KI - Sadira/Mira
  • lackerlacker Joined: Posts: 183
    I wonder what is wrong with me. When SF4 and the T.E. sticks were announced I decided I was going to skip the whole thing because I did not want to spend $360+ for one game (2 sticks and the game itself). I know have about 9 different joysticks, 3 of which I built, and I have another I want to build. A couple of days ago I put in an pre-order for Hori premium stick and when the guy called me to confirm if it was for PS3 or 360 I canceled my order because I could not decide if I wanted to sell my Hrap 3VSA, the VSHG, or the namco stick, or my 2 anniversary sticks.

I have an extra ls32, about 12 balltops, and about 30 buttons and 2 cthulhu boards.

What happened to me? I blame SRK.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    I wonder what is wrong with me. When SF4 and the T.E. sticks were announced I decided I was going to skip the whole thing because I did not want to spend $360+ for one game (2 sticks and the game itself). I know have about 9 different joysticks, 3 of which I built, and I have another I want to build. A couple of days ago I put in an pre-order for Hori premium stick and when the guy called me to confirm if it was for PS3 or 360 I canceled my order because I could not decide if I wanted to sell my Hrap 3VSA, the VSHG, or the namco stick, or my 2 anniversary sticks.

I have an extra ls32, about 12 balltops, and about 30 buttons and 2 cthulhu boards.

What happened to me? I blame SRK.

the SAME thing happened to me. before sf4 came out, i was pretty happy with my mas, red octane and the arcade stick i built from scratch. just last year, i bought like 6 additional sticks. the madcatz te were sold out so i got an SE stick for $100(!). after evo, i was spoiled by the TE sticks, bought one and dual modded it. 2 weeks later i bought 3 te sticks since it was on sale for $100 with tax and everything at frys. i sold my original te stick and another new one to a friend. now i have 2 te sticks which i heavily modded. i bought an ascii optical stick for $100 from an srk member here since i heard it was nearly identical to the sanwa flash. i bought another one a few months later for $70 on ebay (couldn't resist the deal). i also wanted to try out the seimitsu ls-32, ls-33, ls-55, and ls-56 so i bought a hrap se stick when it was on sale just so i could try the ls-32 and replace the t5 stick i destroyed a while back.

my collection

now i sorta want to get a namco stick despite the fact i hate square gates. hopefully, i can trade one of the ascii sticks for one of those.

i have an extra ls-56, an ascii optical with all sanwa parts, a sanwa jlf, a sanwa jlw, a stock hori stick, 12 stock ascii buttons, countless hori knockoff buttons, numerous happ concave buttons and a like 6 ball tops.

wtf is wrong with me? i blame srk too.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hey does anyone know where I can buy TE stick screws? You know the one that's on top. I lost one piece and it's bothering me. I couldnt find any on lizardlick =[
  • ThirteenThirteen Joined: Posts: 463
    SRK TechTalk needs a stick collectors anonymous support section. Only here will you find people that have sticks for systems they don't even own.
    Is it bad that half the reason a finally bought a PS2 again is that I had to test out my padhacks and T5 stick?
    One day I'm gonna need a Saturn stick, you'll see!
    All this space inside an HRAP seems like such a waste, I should put some PCBs in there!
  • Sugar_KaneSugar_Kane Joined: Posts: 497
    It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in my stick harvesting. Every time I build one I tell myself 'that's it! I'm never doing this again' then two weeks later I'm ordering new parts.

I've also been straying into collecting more and more. I just don't know what it is about sticks, I don't even use all of them! I blame SRK too, having all of these cool sticks on display just spurs me on.
    You are not alone, after this past year i only had a HRAP2 SA, since i wanted another stick for 2P, ordered a SE from the 2x1 in the madcatz store with a friend, later all my friends got 360, so i wanted a 360 stick to dual mod, so i sold my HRAP 2
    and got another SE but for 360, then won an auction for a TE, later bought an empty case for cheap, and traded my PSP for a HRAP 3, and i just stopped, so i had 1 stick
    and now ended up with 5, 2 PS3, 2 360(modding now) and an empty case, for now..... D=
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KI - Sadira/Mira
  • sait0usait0u Joined: Posts: 1,151
    Not that bad, I have total of 6 sticks as of now. 5 of them are custom and 1 HRAP EX since I just got myself a 360 not too long ago.

2 finkles
    1 norris (dual)
    1 voltech (ps3)
    1 NHTRAN's Aluminum case (dual)
    1 hrap EX

Supposely I have 7, but I sold a stick to a friend of mines. =/
  • Okazaki IIIOkazaki III PARRY THAT SHIT SON Joined: Posts: 681 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    It's just very addicting. I don't know why. I first got into stick building/modding about 6 years ago thanks to the one and only PADDY-HACKERS. If it wasn't for him putting up with my scrubby questions back then I would never have gotten into this. Now I have:

2 360 EX2, both broken :)
    2 customs

and a third one the way.

And just today I got word from another player that he may have a HRAP2SA case for me.....and I'm already scheming on colours for the buttons, artwork etc etc

Shit's ridiculous but so much fun.
  • elrashoelrasho Joined: Posts: 253
    Ive had an SE stick with Sanwa parts in for a year now and the stick is perfect for me. I just bought a TE stick but find the stick itself is kinda "loose". The clicky noise it makes is no where near as loud as the Sanwa JLF in my SE, and it feels looser too. Could it be my TE is used or did MadCatz do something to the JLFs to make them looser?
    Ive had an SE stick with Sanwa parts in for a year now and the stick is perfect for me. I just bought a TE stick but find the stick itself is kinda "loose". The clicky noise it makes is no where near as loud as the Sanwa JLF in my SE, and it feels looser too. Could it be my TE is used or did MadCatz do something to the JLFs to make them looser?

They're the exact same parts, but you can't expect every single batch of any product to be the exact same, you know? I'm certain that Mad Catz isn't using used parts; they get brand new parts for freaking GREAT prices since they buy in bulk from Sanwa so they have no incentive to use used parts at all. Besides, MarkMan would throw a Tantrum of Arcade Stick God if he found out. :lol:

Anyways, I dunno about the rest of you folks, but I feel that you guys are the normal stick collectors and fighting game enthusiasts and I'm the odd man out! I've been the kind of guy who never ever bought more than 1 controller for his game console, and typically that controller was the one that came with the console in the first place! I only replace things that break or reach the point of unusability. The same deal applies to arcade sticks for me. I own only ONE arcade stick right now, which is a Hori Real Arcade Pro 2 SA which I modded with my favorite Seimitsu PS-14-G buttons and an ASCII Answer (Optical if some of you folks still prefer that name) joystick and I haven't been even remotely tempted to buy another stick. At one point, I did buy a Mad Catz Arcade FightStick Tournament Edition Round 1 for the Xbox 360 when Amazon had them on sale for $129.99 plus free shipping way back in November, but I've LONG since sold it since I just didn't feel like I would ever get around to using it. Hell, I don't even have a spare stick my friends could use, though that's probably for the twofold reason of one I believe in the Bring-Your-Own-Controller policy and two none of my friends care for using an arcade stick at all. I think this same philosophy's gonna stick with me even when I get my commissioned custom stick built. When I get my new custom case, I'll be selling my HRAP2SA even just because I know that someone else on SRK would make better use of it than I would.
    Anyways, I dunno about the rest of you folks, but I feel that you guys are the normal stick collectors and fighting game enthusiasts and I'm the odd man out! I've been the kind of guy who never ever bought more than 1 controller for his game console, and typically that controller was the one that came with the console in the first place! I only replace things that break or reach the point of unusability.
    I'm seriously considering doing this as well. My girl is letting me get a cab under the condition that I stop cluttering the house with arcade sticks. It's going to be some kind of a zen experience to only have a single stick. The HRAP2SA is a great way to go if you only get one. I'm thinking the only stick I'll keep is an HSS-0130 and probably a Namco or two. :lol:
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
    I'm seriously considering doing this as well. My girl is letting me get a cab under the condition that I stop cluttering the house with arcade sticks. It's going to be some kind of a zen experience to only have a single stick. The HRAP2SA is a great way to go if you only get one. I'm thinking the only stick I'll keep is an HSS-0130 and probably a Namco or two. :lol:

I saw that! Great to see you won elDaz2's Sega Saturn HSS-0130. I was SO tempted to bid on it, but I've already commissioned a case from a very special builder for my own uses, so I declined getting the HSS-0130. Besides, I bring my stick around everywhere so having an HSS-0130 would be a little more than just unwieldy. It's the same reason why I think the new Hori Real Arcade Pro V3 SA and their VLX look pretty ugly! :lol:

I personally don't think it's too much a problem having just one stick around. The only issue is that you'll always be faced with worries about future proofing, but considering that the next console gen won't be out for another 4-5 years and that the PlayStation 2's controller is still the most popular one for converter purposes, I think that having some PS2 era sticks around like your Namco Arcade Joysticks (or an HSS-0130 wired up with mojochan's converters :smokin:) will definitely still be the best option. That is, unless for some reason the next gen goes completely wireless which I won't lie would be really damn scary! :wasted:
    Besides, I bring my stick around everywhere so having an HSS-0130 would be a little more than just unwieldy.
    I have no friends that play fighters and I'm in a small as hell town so it's not a problem. :xeye:
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
    Well you can always wire up the HSS-0130 with whatever new PCB Toodles has cooked up.
    I have no friends that play fighters and I'm in a small as hell town so it's not a problem. :xeye:

Harsh! Sounds sort of like the situation I'm in. No competition whatsoever, so if I want to do anything, I gotta travel! :wasted:
    Well you can always wire up the HSS-0130 with whatever new PCB Toodles has cooked up.
    I'd honestly prefer to leave the entire thing stock. If I swap out the PCB I'll end up going the project box route. I have a project box stick that gets used on the NES up through the Xbox 360. :smile:
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • kasprfotokasprfoto part time player, part time modder Joined: Posts: 774
    ^ i got the same thing goin' on. my project box stick is all sorts of versatile. while i have 2 of each sticks for specified systems. i still need 2xVSHG and 2xSFA Sticks. later on will be my HSS-0130 and Sanwa Flash (in the distant future, lol)
    ^ i got the same thing goin' on. my project box stick is all sorts of versatile. while i have 2 of each sticks for specified systems. i still need 2xVSHG and 2xSFA Sticks. later on will be my HSS-0130 and Sanwa Flash (in the distant future, lol)
    Better hurry up and get yours then, before meus ends up buying every available Sanwa Flash out there.
    ^ haha true, funny thing is like Ikagi chan i used to have only 1 thing per system, i still have my sixaxis from my ps3 and a cheap PC logitech controller, its just this past year sticks where everywhere, i think ill end up modding them and sell all but 2 :)
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KI - Sadira/Mira
    What do you guys think of putting blue for the 2-player side on an HSS? I'm ordering some PS-14G for it and was contemplating doing away with the pink (heresy?). My other choice is yellow. This is just a quick Photoshop.

hssblue.jpg
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • Sugar_KaneSugar_Kane Joined: Posts: 497
    It looks good, but to me they both seem like Player 1 colours, and having 2 p1s would hurt my brain. Have you considered purple?
    It looks good, but to me they both seem like Player 1 colours, and having 2 p1s would hurt my brain. Have you considered purple?
    Thanks for the reply. There's no purple in PS-14-G. Aside from pink my options are blue/yellow/red. I don't think red would look right. I'll do a mockup with yellow when I get a chance.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
    What do you guys think of putting blue for the 2-player side on an HSS? I'm ordering some PS-14G for it and was contemplating doing away with the pink (heresy?). My other choice is yellow. This is just a quick Photoshop.

http://srktt.com/photos/hssblue.jpg
    DOING. AWAY. WITH. PINK!

<scandalized/>
    Yep. I know it's evil. I have a half-dozen sticks surrounding my desk and none of them have pink or purple buttons. No anime art either (for shame!) I'm hoping to rock the HSS with my boy. I could be wrong but I don't imagine him wanting to sit on the 'pink side.'

Rest assured that I'll keep the stock buttons if for some god forsaken reason I needed to sell it.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    So I was on eTokki the other day and I noticed they sold JLF shaft extenders. I've always disliked how short the shafts were but have never tried to improperly mount them to fix it. They even make some to go with JLFs that use shaft covers.

JAWSOME!

This might actually make me give J-sticks another go-round.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro