Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,980
    Thanks for the reply. There's no purple in PS-14-G. Aside from pink my options are blue/yellow/red. I don't think red would look right. I'll do a mockup with yellow when I get a chance.

I like how yellow buttons look (look at the Namco Arcade Joystick after all!) but trying to match it up to blue would look all kinds of silly if you kept the yellow start buttons. It'll look extremely Christmas like, but putting red on the P1 and green on the P2 side would look pretty sweet. And red P1, blue P2 doesn't look THAT funky to be honest; it's a high contrast color scheme which I suppose in theory would look ugly, but high contrast color schemes look damn nice; it's the reason the original Astro City Green/Pink scheme looks sweet and why I feel that if Seimitsu made purple buttons (they really should), Red/Purple would look pretty damn nice. But, since you're limited to just Black, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink, that's clearly not a choice. Either way, I really don't recommend going with yellow action buttons unless you plan on changing out the color of the yellow Start buttons. It would mess up congruity. I like the idea of putting black on there somewhere, so perhaps maybe get a set of black rim, white plunger buttons for the P2 side and black rim, blue plungers for the P1 side?

Actually, using an arcade stick would be a pretty cool way to teach your son that certain colors that are considered "girly" aren't really that unmanly at all. Hell, my own top 3 favorite colors are white, purple, and yellow in that order, with pink a very damn close runner up. Colors aren't weren't ever meant to have any gender bias; that's just a stupid ploy invented by salesmen throughout the centuries. Colors exist to appeal to the eye. Otherwise, we'd be color blind and be living a dog's life in shades of grays. Flowers attract honey bees and other beneficial insects through two ways, one through the scent they emit and their shape, but also through the color tone. It's the same deal as to how hard candies appeal to kids who've never eaten them before; they look pretty and their eyes react to certain tones of colors. No gender bias at all; it's just something meant to attract the eyes of human and animal species alike.

So I was on eTokki the other day and I noticed they sold JLF shaft extenders. I've always disliked how short the shafts were but have never tried to improperly mount them to fix it. They even make some to go with JLFs that use shaft covers.

JAWSOME!

This might actually make me give J-sticks another go-round.

You used to watch Street Sharks didn't you? :lol:

I'm tempted to give those shaft extenders a go as well since I'm curious as to how it would feel NOT to bust my knuckles on the control panel playing on a JLF. :lol:
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,735 mod
    I like how yellow buttons look (look at the Namco Arcade Joystick after all!) but trying to match it up to blue would look all kinds of silly if you kept the yellow start buttons. It'll look extremely Christmas like, but putting red on the P1 and green on the P2 side would look pretty sweet. And red P1, blue P2 doesn't look THAT funky to be honest; it's a high contrast color scheme which I suppose in theory would look ugly, but high contrast color schemes look damn nice; it's the reason the original Astro City Green/Pink scheme looks sweet and why I feel that if Seimitsu made purple buttons (they really should), Red/Purple would look pretty damn nice. But, since you're limited to just Black, Red, Blue, Green, Yellow, and Pink, that's clearly not a choice. Either way, I really don't recommend going with yellow action buttons unless you plan on changing out the color of the yellow Start buttons. It would mess up congruity. I like the idea of putting black on there somewhere, so perhaps maybe get a set of black rim, white plunger buttons for the P2 side and black rim, blue plungers for the P1 side?
    What about Green P1, Yellow P2, Pink Start/Select? I think it would work without deviating from the original color scheme. I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for listening to me ramble. This wouldn't even be necessary if I wasn't so obsessed with the PS-14-G.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,386 mod
    Yep. I know it's evil. I have a half-dozen sticks surrounding my desk and none of them have pink or purple buttons. No anime art either (for shame!) I'm hoping to rock the HSS with my boy. I could be wrong but I don't imagine him wanting to sit on the 'pink side.'

Rest assured that I'll keep the stock buttons if for some god forsaken reason I needed to sell it.

Could care less about the anime art. But I'm a sucker for them arcade authenticity, spending 15 years with Sega candy cabs will do that to you.
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,834
    What about Green P1, Yellow P2, Pink Start/Select? I think it would work without deviating from the original color scheme. I think that's what I'm going to do. Thanks for listening to me ramble. This wouldn't even be necessary if I wasn't so obsessed with the PS-14-G.

Like this?
    38085985.jpg
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Yay, exactly like that! Thanks for the picture. My tax return came in today so I think I'll grab a pair of meshballs as well. :lol:

Edit: Green and yellow it is. I just put in a big order at AkihabaraShop. Be on the lookout for a stick sale from me. I've got to clear out some of my goodies to pay for all this.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    Blasted Wii to VGA cable didn't work for crap... picture kept going out for 2-3 seconds at a time.

I'm not paying $180 for a blasted VGA box. I'd sooner buy a new monitor.

Gonna keep shopping around some, and I'll crawl through threads here to see what I can find.

edit:

Just read through the rest of the thread... is this just stick talk or ANY kind of technical chit-chat? My apologies if it's just stick talk.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,549
    I think is Tech Talk, its just that sticks are a common topic =D
    SFV - Karin/Sim
    KOF XIV - Love, Muimui, Iori
    KI - Sadira/Mira
  • Br0ken_Engli5hBr0ken_Engli5h Joined: Posts: 232
    Soldering irons get hot!

.....and burning flesh smells like pork.
  • Digital-Digital- TRVP LORD Joined: Posts: 2,216
    Well, I finished re-wiring my HRAP EX-SE. I previously had a JLF-TM-8 installed in it and decided to put the LS-32 back into it since I just finished buying a Madcatz MvC TE. Now I have a Seimitsu stick for Shmups and a Sanwa stick for fighting games.

I bought the spools of 18 gauge wire, terminal strip, .187 quick disconnects and zip ties at a local Radio Shack shop for less than 15 bucks. If I would've ordered them online at like Lizard Lick or GamingNow.net it would've been a bit more expensive PLUS I would've had to wait for it in the mail. Local Radio Shack shop FTW!

I also took off the plastic film that was on top of the HRAP EX-SE control panel and now its a matte black finish, it gets dirty easily though. My next investment will be a black or mirror plexi for my HRAP with SNK 4 button layout. If Nareg ever gets Black on Black Seimitsu PS-15-GNC buttons I'll be getting 4 of those for my plexi along with a black meshball too.
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
    Yay, exactly like that! Thanks for the picture. My tax return came in today so I think I'll grab a pair of meshballs as well. :lol:

Edit: Green and yellow it is. I just put in a big order at AkihabaraShop. Be on the lookout for a stick sale from me. I've got to clear out some of my goodies to pay for all this.

And I was about to recommend going for blue since there was already someone who did yellow.
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,943
    Soldering irons get hot!

Hauueueghhh.
    Blasted Wii to VGA cable didn't work for crap... picture kept going out for 2-3 seconds at a time.

I have used the VDigi Wii -> VGA cable on a few different monitors without issues... just throwin' that out there. It's the only one I've used though.
  • black shoemakerblack shoemaker black hatmaker Joined: Posts: 995
    the JLF ultimate mod is stupid..... there i said it.

i must be the only person in this earth who thinks it's dumb to put tape on the acutator and insert paper into your microswitches.
    jerb
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    I have used the VDigi Wii -> VGA cable on a few different monitors without issues... just throwin' that out there. It's the only one I've used though.
    I used something similar with no luck. the one I used didn't have dipswitches on it though, so that very well might work. I went ahead and ordered a High-box though, since Luckyday recommended it and I can use my PS2 with it as well. Thanks for the recommendation, though.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

i must be the only person in this earth who thinks it's dumb to put tape on the acutator and insert paper into your microswitches.

Nah man you aren;t the only one, I agree with you. The JLF is perfect in every way. Modding the JLF with extra springs, paper in microswitches, andputting tape on the actuator is stupid and just ruins the perfection of it all.

Only mod(s) I will do to a JLF is...

Put an LS-40 shaft cover on it, stretch out the stock JLF spring (this actually makes it feel a bit stiffer and good at the same time, NO HOMO! :lol:) and I'll use an octo-gate. Thats about all I'd mod on a JLF.
    I got a job with the mob making G's, doing some pick-ups, deliveries and transporting keys.
    Nah man you aren;t the only one, I agree with you. The JLF is perfect in every way. Modding the JLF with extra springs, paper in microswitches, andputting tape on the actuator is stupid and just ruins the perfection of it all.

Only mod(s) I will do to a JLF is...

Put an LS-40 shaft cover on it, stretch out the stock JLF spring (this actually makes it feel a bit stiffer and good at the same time, NO HOMO! :lol:) and I'll use an octo-gate. Thats about all I'd mod on a JLF.
    Meh, all stock JLF is perfect for fighters.
    Stock JLF is the Best JLF.

Although I just use a regular HORI Fighting Stick EX2.
    So Hori Joystick and Hori Buttons!
    Laugh.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,632
    I've got the money to buy a new JLF and buttons for my new TvC FightStick, but I'm going to wait a week for when I get my income tax return to place a large order for all the parts I'll need for this and the two sticks I need to finish for my kids.

I tried using the stock stick, but it's just not doing it for me.

No, you're not the only one.
    Soldering irons get hot!

I've had two good soldering iron burns. My last one hurt for days. I'm much more aware of the iron now.
    And I was about to recommend going for blue since there was already someone who did yellow.
    I think I made the right choice. Yellow looks very nice for 2P.

hssyellow.jpg

You're not. Putting tape on the actuator is silly.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
    Meh, all stock JLF is perfect for fighters.

You are only repeating what I said.
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,632
    You are only repeating what I said.

You implied stretching the stock spring and putting an octogonal restrictor on it, that's not the definition of all stock.
  • The_ThirdThe_Third Poverty Gamer Joined: Posts: 1,009
    Going out stick hunting this afternoon.

I'll assume you're from Manila area correct? Do sticks just pop up in Japanese 'surplus' stores? I'm trying my luck here in Cebu and they never have sticks...The coolest thing I saw was a Kendo set with a shinai!

EDIT: Also, interesting to see Sanwa is selling white-rimmed OSBF-30's now.
  • PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,119
    Looking at the other Seimitsu sticks on the market, what is the difference between a LS-40-01 and a LS-56-01.

How do they compare to the LS-32-01?

Firmer, softer, etc.
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
  • brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    Round ls32 subguide? I've only seen the round main guides. Is this new or have I never just seen it?

http://www.akihabarashop.jp/images/LS32-SubGuideRound.jpg

My friend down in Japan found an snk SCB-U4 cabinet in japan. He said it was selling for somewhere 100-200 USD (i dunno how many yen) with the monitor and the original cp. he sent me pictures of the cabinet, and I was pretty impressed by it. but the original control panel disgusts me, and it also disgusts m h9omeboy. so i jus need to know what 2P control panels are compatible with the SCB-U4.
    jerb
    You just never saw it before now.
    Not new.
    nah man. i did some research, i do realize that this cab is old as fuck. but, we are getting the cabinet in good condition. i just need to find out what control panels are suitable for this cab. we be using it for an mvs cab anyways because we got fuck loads of mvs games.
    jerb
    My Post was a reply to brighenne.
    Don't you see that your Post and mine are at same time?
    I'll assume you're from Manila area correct? Do sticks just pop up in Japanese 'surplus' stores? I'm trying my luck here in Cebu and they never have sticks...The coolest thing I saw was a Kendo set with a shinai!

EDIT: Also, interesting to see Sanwa is selling white-rimmed OSBF-30's now.

Just checking the malls that are known for having electronics (V-Mall, Shopsville). As of late, lots of stores are now carrying HRAP3s (plain and T6 variant), whereas a year ago, the only sticks you could find were crappy budget sticks.

As for my "hunt" didn't buy anything though. Was looking for a stick for the Wii but couldn't find any. Right now I'm thinking of getting a HRAP 2 instead (since I've always wanted to do a mini Versus City type deal) and using converters for PS3 and Wii.

EDIT:
    Almost forgot, I was surprised that the arcade in V-Mall had 2 giant Capcom cabs that I didn't recognize (running Soul Cal 3 and NGBC). Turned out they were CAV 2 00B 60s. I was genuinely surprised since I had assumed that Megalo 50s and Super Megalo 2s were the only large arcade cabs in the country.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    seimitsu clear buttons along with its light up mods are extremely overrated.

i understand the aesthetic value, but why sacrifice performance for looks? that never makes sense to me.

maybe i'm just biased against the clear buttons as i personally think they're crap. i can't do standing mk into handslaps with gen without scrapping off the skin on my finger.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    Just because you can't doesn't mean other people can't. I can do anything on either set of buttons(without scraping my fingers off), but I just find seimitsu to be a lot more comfortable for me personally. I've got big, heavy hands though, so I personally like the extra resistance.

• OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 7,278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    i can do mk xx hands on those clear buttons too or pretty much any type of buttons (maybe except for happ ultimates), but i'll need like a band aid or something to prevent scraping my skin
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
    I've got a definite preference for Sanwas. Buttons with extra resistance just feel stiff and unresponsive to me.
    To quote rtdzign:

"Seimitsu is only for manly men who have too much power in their button presses. Men who use Seimitsu tend to be the men that open jars for the girlie Sanwa men. Real men like us also like to crack open pistachios that have no crack in them with only two fingers."

:rofl:

• PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,119
    So Mad Catz hates me. On my MvC2 TE the Seimitsu Joystick mounting bracket doesn't have the hole drilled like my SE. YAY
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,943
    To quote rtdzign:

"Seimitsu is only for manly men who have too much power in their button presses. Men who use Seimitsu tend to be the men that open jars for the girlie Sanwa men. Real men like us also like to crack open pistachios that have no crack in them with only two fingers."

:rofl:

Seimitsus are for drunks with shaky hands without the wherewithal to avoid pressing buttons they didn't mean to press, but who are too girly to step up to manly Happ buttons.
    Happ buttons aren't manly, they are for cheap bastards, what do you expect from microswitched buttons. The whole debate between Sanwa's sensitive SW-68 switch versus Seimitsu's switches is retarded. TBH, I love both and I would prefer them any day over microswitched buttons. Momentary contact buttons ftw.
    jerb
    So I bought an NES Max Controller at swap meet for $5 yesterday.

I clean it today.
    Took it apart.

Placed into nail polish remover.
    And now the plastic eaten. :sad:

I'm so sad.

I can use the Cable for Multi-Console Cthulhu.
    And the PCB for Turbo B and Turbo B.
    But that is all.

I'm so sad.
    Poor jdm. I would send you one if I had it. What was the nail polish remover supposed to do? Clean it?
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,980
    So I bought an NES Max Controller at swap meet for $5 yesterday.

I clean it today.
    Took it apart.

I'm so sad.

I can use the Cable for Multi-Console Cthulhu.
    And the PCB for Turbo B and Turbo B.
    But that is all.

Oh man jdm714, that's awful! I recommend you try getting yourself a bottle of Goo Gone to get rid of any grime you might need to remove. One 8 fluid ounce bottle lasts a LONG time, I'm telling ya! I've used that stuff to remove even the toughest adhesives. Once, i used it to remove super glue I accidentally spilled on one of my Sanwa buttons!