Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,865
    I think they originally banned it then lifted the ban. lol
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,548
    What was the reason for the ban though? Was it something at least somewhat understandable like not wanting the consoles out in the open since people might steal them or was it some scrub mentality like "fightsticks are too elitist"
  • JRDIBBSJRDIBBS Neighborhood Modder Joined: Posts: 454
    edited March 13
    Darksakul wrote: »
    JRDIBBS wrote: »
    At PAX East today...and will be playing in some tourneys.

Word on the street was PAX East banned Fightsticks in the SFV tourney...that true?

That would not surprise me

Yup they did, first day marvel tourney lost a lot of registers because of this but Saturdays sf5 created a lot of bitchin over the Internet so they rescinded the rule.
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    What was the reason for the ban though? Was it something at least somewhat understandable like not wanting the consoles out in the open since people might steal them or was it some scrub mentality like "fightsticks are too elitist"

Organizers didn't have a clue about what they were doing basically.
    I mod so you can play!
    Joysticks, buttons and PCBs, all at paradisearcade.com!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    Kaimana Guru, check out my GitHub for layouts, animations and more!
    Member of the Church of Dremel and the Cult of Hot Glue.
    No mod is finished until you wrangle that wiring!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,393

Word on the street was PAX East banned Fightsticks in the SFV tourney...that true?

Yup they did, first day marvel tourney lost a lot of registers because of this but Saturdays sf5 created a lot of bitchin over the Internet so they rescinded the rule.

So basically a bunch of people with no FGC experience.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • JRDIBBSJRDIBBS Neighborhood Modder Joined: Posts: 454

So basically a bunch of people with no FGC experience.

And its a shame because there is a local shop that does it for a living.
    I mod so you can play!
    Joysticks, buttons and PCBs, all at paradisearcade.com!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    Kaimana Guru, check out my GitHub for layouts, animations and more!
    Member of the Church of Dremel and the Cult of Hot Glue.
    No mod is finished until you wrangle that wiring!
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,040 mod

They finally unbanned them after some players pointed out how stupid the rules was.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    Guess I wouldn't of been welcomed there.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    New Scart Cable picture is too bright, so I removed the 200u caps from the R,G and B lines to find no effect.
    I am thinking about putting 75ohm resistors in place of the caps to see if it does the trick. The Resistors are on order (hopefully they arrive tomorrow).
    Anyone think I should also put a resistor on the Sync line as well?
    edited March 14
    Gummo wrote: »
    Guess I wouldn't of been welcomed there.

WOULDN'T HAVE!!!!

Everytime someone use s"wouldn't of", "shouldn't of", "would of", "could of", "should of" and similar, Dread Cthulhu destroys a Dremel.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,766
    Finally ripped out my SE 360 PCB and just went MC Cthulhu only. Took the switch out, had fortunately put a barrier block in at some point and it was stuck in there with no use, it now has a use as I used it to extend the shortened cable in the RJ-45 that would go to the switch and then from there to the Cthulhu. Perfect lengths.

Now to get some bondo and paint.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 142
    New Scart Cable picture is too bright, so I removed the 200u caps from the R,G and B lines to find no effect.
    I am thinking about putting 75ohm resistors in place of the caps to see if it does the trick. The Resistors are on order (hopefully they arrive tomorrow).
    Which console?
    edited March 14
    Which console?

Analogue NT (Original Model, first edition).
    Oh I got the RGB version (Tim Worthington's board), not the one with the the Hi-Def NES board.
    edited March 14
    Ok, so Nt and NT mini use the same pinout and compatible cable (from the F.A.Q)
    So from here: https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/115000923948-Using-Analog-Video-output-with-the-Nt-mini
    check this : https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/article_attachments/115006340767/Nt_mini_SCART_Information_rev.2.pdf

Seems no resistor except on the Scart 16 (blanking+3.3v).

Be sure to ground everything needed.

Hope that helps.
    So from here: https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/articles/115000923948-Using-Analog-Video-output-with-the-Nt-mini
    check this : https://support.analogue.co/hc/en-us/article_attachments/115006340767/Nt_mini_SCART_Information_rev.2.pdf

Seems no resistor except on the Scart 16 (blanking+3.3).

Hope that helps.

I don't really need the pinout. The Picture is just too bright.

Anyways the NT Mini's pinout isn't the same as the Orignal's

This is what I got emailed from Analogue's support.
    Sure thing!

D-Sub Pinout:

1 - R
    2 - G
    3 - B
    4 - NC
    5 - Gound 1
    6 - Pr
    7 - Y (luma/Yr)
    8 - Pb
    9 - +5V
    10 - Ground 2
    11 - NC
    12 - CV (composite)
    13 - CS# (sync)
    14 - NC
    15 - C (chroma)

Analogue Support

The cable I am using was the NT Mini's Scart cable from Retro Gaming Cables.
    I had to Rewire the HD-15 for it to work.

Hope that helps.

Sure thing!

D-Sub Pinout:

1 - R
    2 - G
    3 - B
    4 - NC
    5 - Gound 1
    6 - Pr
    7 - Y (luma/Yr)
    8 - Pb
    9 - +5V
    10 - Ground 2
    11 - NC
    12 - CV (composite)
    13 - CS# (sync)
    14 - NC
    15 - C (chroma)

Analogue Support

Ha sorry, I read in their FAQ they were the same, but I seems I misunderstood the fact they are just using standard VGA plug (with different pinout).

Hope that helps.

Sure thing!

D-Sub Pinout:

1 - R
    2 - G
    3 - B
    4 - NC
    5 - Gound 1
    6 - Pr
    7 - Y (luma/Yr)
    8 - Pb
    9 - +5V
    10 - Ground 2
    11 - NC
    12 - CV (composite)
    13 - CS# (sync)
    14 - NC
    15 - C (chroma)

Analogue Support

Ha sorry, I read in their FAQ they were the same, but I seems I misunderstood the fact they are just using standard VGA plug (with different pinout).
    So follow up, I got my 75 ohm resistors on the R,G,B, lines. 75 Ohms provide the perfect attenuation to get the video brightness back to line level.

• TheFightingFishTheFightingFish Joined: Posts: 47
    So I peek on my local craigslist every so often with an "Arcade Stick" search just to see if anything comes up.

And I gotta say. I would never, ever tease someone posting a homemade stick in any type of shape in something like the Arcade stick thread here. I love to see folks getting their DIY on at any skill level. But if you are going to be selling something online for $100, man that wiring is just not ok.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/vgm/6040034721.html

Take a look at the second picture that shows the inside of the box.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 958
    apart from the 2 buttons above the lever that is a nice stick, looks really nice

i think the wiring is fine, you should see my wiring.......
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 987
    edited March 18
    Let's get real here: the inside of that thing is a mess. $100 is too much, esp. when you can spend $20 more and get a used HRAP from Fleabay.

00A0A_gNcIt1rlKmg_600x450.jpg

Also..WTF is that crap on the underside of the top panel? Wood putty?! LOL
    Post edited by jopamo on
    Reiraku wrote: »
    Man, Gummo. You shouldn't of said that.

SHOULDN't HAVE!!!
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    The sarcasm in his post was very obvious, but I cannot say the same for yours Dev. I get the impression you are serious....
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,417
    But if you are going to be selling something online for $100, man that wiring is just not ok.

https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/vgm/6040034721.html

I don't know what used stick prices are like, but there's easily $100 in parts and labor there, and I assume it works. The wiring isn't that bad. Mount the PCB better and strain-relieve the wires and it'll be good to go.
    New Jersey
    edited March 18
    Maybe I'm just OCD, but I think the wiring is terrible. In general (other than the top panel), the quality is not something I'd pay for--$100 or even less.
    I'm assuming that this was the dude's own stick at one point (and not something he just threw together to hock)..and IF SO, that makes me cringe even harder.

Before you call me an ass (for which you might actually be right), ask yourself:
    "Would I not take more pride in myself in ensuring a tidy and presentable finished product for something that I made with my own two hands?"
    "Would I be embarrassed selling anything less than that to another person...for $100?"

If your answer is "NO" to both... them I'm sorry, but I won't ever be buying any of your shit on the Trading Outlet ;-)

(Oh and may God have mercy on your soul)
    jopamo wrote: »

I'm getting The Green Mile vibes
    Maybe I'm just OCD, but I think the wiring is terrible. In general (other than the top panel), the quality is not something I'd pay for--$100 or even less.
    I'm assuming that this was the dude's own stick at one point (and not something he just threw together to hock)..and IF SO, that makes me cringe even harder.

Before you call me an ass (for which you might actually be right), ask yourself:
    "Would I not take more pride in myself in ensuring a tidy and presentable finished product for something that I made with my own two hands?"
    "Would I be embarrassed selling anything less than that to another person...for $100?"

If your answer is "NO" to both... them I'm sorry, but I won't ever be buying any of your shit on the Trading Outlet ;-)

Well the parts alone are $40. PCB is another $40.
    No way the case is worth$20 in that condition.
    And there no paying for that awful work.
    edited March 19
    Crap, AssemblerGames is still down, and I really need help for a mod which I cannot make work. :(
    I hate when it seems I've done everything correctly and it still doesn't work...

Edit: Ha, I made some progress.
    Post edited by The_Real_Phoenix on
  • Icy Black DeepIcy Black Deep Still training... Joined: Posts: 1,417

I would say yes to the first and probably to the second, BUT it would take at least two more hours to wire it in a way that makes me feel good about it. So then you think about what a reasonable hourly rate is and it's not likely to be a $100 stick anymore. And then no one will want to buy it.
    So in short, you won't find me selling anything on the trading outlet :)
    New Jersey
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    Fucking gross. This stick I'm modding has dead remains of some sort of insects.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,344

Ew.
    Crap, AssemblerGames is still down, and I really need help for a mod which I cannot make work. :(
    I hate when it seems I've done everything correctly and it still doesn't work...

What are you trying to do?
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,451
    edited March 19
    I've modded a couple for other people where the sticks were filthy/disgusting (dust, clear sweat/dirt accumulation, etc), but no bugs (living or dead) yet.
    That what terrifies me of doing more modding for local FGC members that I don't "know" on a personal level.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga

Dual Frequency Oscillator (for my Genesis)
    http://nfggames.com/forum2/index.php?topic=5744.0

Took me time to make the programmer being recognized by the software, but now I'm getting timeout error when I'm trying to program the CDCE.
    I have enought parts to make 3 attempts, but SMDs are tedious to solder when it's cramped like that.

Took me time to make the programmer being recognized by the software, but now I'm getting timeout error when I'm trying to program the CDCE.
    I have enought parts to make 3 attempts, but SMDs are tedious to solder when it's cramped like that.

Let me guess, you are using Pal Megadrive?

Nope, NTSC one. But the mod is suppose to be paired with my switchless mod.
    Improper clock lead to sync/color issue with the Framemeister.

I did a long time ago a somehow similar mod for the colorburst only, but this is more accurate. the VPD of the genesis seems picky about the main clock.

I did a long time ago a somehow similar mod for the colorburst only, but this is more accurate. the VPD of the genesis seems picky about the main clock.

Most older consoles are actually very much off spec when it comes to NTSC standards, and I am not talking about just the 240p resolution.
    Example the NES video refresh is at 60.10 Hz, the Neo Geo is 59.2hz, a bit more extreme than the Genesis.

Then again with NTSC color standards, Color TVs CRTs display 59.94 FPS (and not a perfect 60), that because of the color subcarrier of precisely 315/88 MHz and limitation of circuitry at the time the standard was made (50's). This was chosen so NTSC color broadcasting would be backwards compatible with Black and White Displays and to minimize luminance degradation.

Thinking about it now, PC monitors are less picky than HDTVs (especially newer models) when it comes to out of spec video.

Does your HDTV have a PC mode for your HDMI Input?
    edited March 20

Most older consoles are actually very much off spec when it comes to NTSC standards, and I am not talking about just the 240p resolution.
    Example the NES video refresh is at 60.10 Hz, the Neo Geo is 59.2hz, a bit more extreme than the Genesis.

Then again with NTSC color standards, Color TVs CRTs display 59.94 FPS (and not a perfect 60), that because of the color subcarrier of precisely 315/88 MHz and limitation of circuitry at the time the standard was made (50's). This was chosen so NTSC color broadcasting would be backwards compatible with Black and White Displays and to minimize luminance degradation.

Thinking about it now, PC monitors are less picky than HDTVs (especially newer models) when it comes to out of spec video.

Yeah I know. There's discussions about the HDMINes from Kevtris about being accurate or not, since it rolls at 60hz precisely: after an hour, games are not at the same frame than the original hardware.

No PC mode on my TV.

Some progress: now I have an I2C error.

EDIT HO SHIT IT WORKED
    Post edited by The_Real_Phoenix on

Yeah I know. There's discussions about the HDMINes from Kevtris about being accurate or not, since it rolls at 60hz precisely: after an hour, games are not at the same frame than the original hardware.

No PC mode on my TV.

Some progress: now I have an I2C error.

EDIT HO SHIT IT WORKED

Rolls at 60 hz exactly is for HDTV compatibility reasons
    edited March 20
    The programmer:
    JCnDrySm.jpg
    The DFO:
    4uqEBs5m.jpg
    USB for scale:
    PkvXoOCm.jpg

Now I have to test it on my Megadrive see if my little modifications are working on this mod. =)
  • TheFightingFishTheFightingFish Joined: Posts: 47
    A guy at work who knew that I was into arcade sticks gave me an X-Arcade Tankstick for free. Anything that you can do easily with one of these? Pretty sure from the looks of it Japanese parts are right out without a ton of work. Maybe clean it up and put some iL sticks and buttons in it? Have to admit, I do kinda love how chunky the case feels.
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Darksakul for mod 2018 Joined: Posts: 921
    A guy at work who knew that I was into arcade sticks gave me an X-Arcade Tankstick for free. Anything that you can do easily with one of these? Pretty sure from the looks of it Japanese parts are right out without a ton of work. Maybe clean it up and put some iL sticks and buttons in it? Have to admit, I do kinda love how chunky the case feels.

HAPP/IL only option without case modification
    End of one nightmare, prelude to the another.
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989

Yeah throw some iL parts in there and call it a day. Hit up @armi0024 & @SusanInParadise at the Paradise Arcade Shop. They have a beefy selection of iL pieces.
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
  • kubebotkubebot Large Member Joined: Posts: 1,269
    edited March 21
    The weight and the vinyl top are pretty decent. I also love the low profile. Keeps the stick from moving around if you kinda rough on it, like maybe I am...X-Arcades biggest problems were the Happ knock off parts and so-so PCB. Not sure when, but they've since upgraded the PCB and seems to work pretty well for PC and all things MAME.

I ended up taking out my iL sticks and threw in a Wico clone (Dominux8) and a variant of a MS. Pac-Man reunion stick on the P2 side. I already have P360 in a MAS and iL in a VLX, so felt like I needed more variety...Also nevermind I have mini-MAS stick dedicated to PAC-MAN/Galaga (really any 4-way which might require at least one button).
    anzhar wrote: »
    The sarcasm in his post was very obvious, but I cannot say the same for yours Dev. I get the impression you are serious....

Aside from bad wiring, the use of "should of, could of, etc." in place of the grammatically correct "should have, could have, etc." triggers my OCD.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 798
    d3v wrote: »
    anzhar wrote: »

Aside from bad wiring, the use of "should of, could of, etc." in place of the grammatically correct "should have, could have, etc." triggers my OCD.

If it helps, me too. I only used it for the sake of the joke and it was a struggle to even type it out.
    edited March 21
    d3v wrote: »

Nothing triggers my OCD like reading sentences with "then" and "than" (or "your" and "you're") incorrectly swapped.

I know when it's time to take a break from the internet and read books when it gets really bad..
    ...when you read sentences with the aforementioned words used correctly...you do a double-take, and have to correct yourself.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 798
    Relevant

Thanks for that. I had forgotten about they're, there and their