Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,473
    Oh check this out, a 3rd party controller for the Nintendo Switch is soon to be out. I wonder how much longer till we get the Hori Switch arcade stick?
    https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Fighters-Turbo-Controller-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B06XGYRHJK
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,453
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Oh check this out, a 3rd party controller for the Nintendo Switch is soon to be out. I wonder how much longer till we get the Hori Switch arcade stick?
    https://www.amazon.com/Retro-Fighters-Turbo-Controller-Nintendo-Switch/dp/B06XGYRHJK
    Price-wise, if it's really $30 and works as a Switch Pro Controller, it might not be a bad option to padhack.

I'm still waiting to see if Nintendo will release a Left Joycon with an actual D-Pad.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    Price-wise, if it's really $30 and works as a Switch Pro Controller, it might not be a bad option to padhack.

I'm still waiting to see if Nintendo will release a Left Joycon with an actual D-Pad.

Playing with the Switch myself, I can see why they went the direction they did with the Left Joycon.

Playing with the Switch myself, I can see why they went the direction they did with the Left Joycon.
    Oh, absolutely. If it was a D-Pad, the Left Joycon wouldn't really be usable when held sideways and all.
    And I gotta admit, having the separate buttons for the directionals is nice too (one of my favorite modules for the old Mad Catz Pro Circuit Controller to use for FPS or whatever games), but playing USF2 on the go is not going to be fun with either the analog stick nor the discrete buttons...
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:

Oh, absolutely. If it was a D-Pad, the Left Joycon wouldn't really be usable when held sideways and all.
    And I gotta admit, having the separate buttons for the directionals is nice too (one of my favorite modules for the old Mad Catz Pro Circuit Controller to use for FPS or whatever games), but playing USF2 on the go is not going to be fun with either the analog stick nor the discrete buttons...

And everywhere I checked the Official Nintendo branded Switch pro controller is ether sold out or grossly overpriced.
    Same thing with spare Switch Dock sets.
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Toronto Stick Modder Joined: Posts: 1,560
    Happy Persona 5 Day. May those of you who pre-ordered get through it un-spoiled.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,185
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    Why hasn't anyone stepped up and filled the niche themselves? We don't need big companies, imagine if someone like Gummo had full control of an LLC where everything met his standard? That would be insane. Make a deal with a board manufacturer like Brooke and you're golden.

Like what Jasen Hicks does?

Yes but selling stock models. Not customs. A good standard model arcade stick with 6/8 buttons.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,333
    Why hasn't anyone stepped up and filled the niche themselves? We don't need big companies, imagine if someone like Gummo had full control of an LLC where everything met his standard? That would be insane. Make a deal with a board manufacturer like Brooke and you're golden.

Yes but selling stock models. Not customs. A good standard model arcade stick with 6/8 buttons.

Interestingly, every time I try and have a "stock" model people want me to change the art, the buttons, or the ball top for them. I'd love to have a "stock" model that just sold as is :)
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

Have a question? Use the JASENSCUSTOMS HELP DESK

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477

You must know that making a production level peripheral that's designed for volume sales requires more than just a single deal with a PCB manufacturer, correct? You're talking procurement lines for everything, down to the screws that hold 'that one angle bracket to this piece here'. Plastic molds, custom metal parts, etc.

Let alone seed money for inventory, logistics, ad work, spreading awareness by sponsorship, etc. and you're talking more than anyone in this community can generally handle in any sort of real scale. For example, myself and several others technically run LLC businesses, but that's just for liability and tax reasons.

The hitbox crew is probably the 'closest' to that sort of direction. They don't do anything if it impacts production and test.. which is great, but can stifle innovation if you let it rule the roost. However, they've done the due diligence on sourcing components for scaling volumes, and production lines to handle it.

Jasen does small runs with high quality, and I think he could scale if the need arose, but to me that's not the angle he should be gunning for, and what people are coming to him for.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 147
    Ok, electronic part 1 is working:
    s7wvXx7m.jpg?1
    Next: building the skeleton of the cab and wait for the rest of the electronic.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,185

Interestingly, every time I try and have a "stock" model people want me to change the art, the buttons, or the ball top for them. I'd love to have a "stock" model that just sold as is :)

You can still offer that but imagine filling the entire fightstick niche in the west? Could be worth looking into.

You must know that making a production level peripheral that's designed for volume sales requires more than just a single deal with a PCB manufacturer, correct? You're talking procurement lines for everything, down to the screws that hold 'that one angle bracket to this piece here'. Plastic molds, custom metal parts, etc.

Let alone seed money for inventory, logistics, ad work, spreading awareness by sponsorship, etc. and you're talking more than anyone in this community can generally handle in any sort of real scale. For example, myself and several others technically run LLC businesses, but that's just for liability and tax reasons.

The hitbox crew is probably the 'closest' to that sort of direction. They don't do anything if it impacts production and test.. which is great, but can stifle innovation if you let it rule the roost. However, they've done the due diligence on sourcing components for scaling volumes, and production lines to handle it.

Jasen does small runs with high quality, and I think he could scale if the need arose, but to me that's not the angle he should be gunning for, and what people are coming to him for.

Obviously I glossed over all the hard parts. I don't know the specifics and I don't know if anyone wants to do it but I think there's a good chance there's money to be made.
  • hyp36rmaxhyp36rmax Joined: Posts: 122

And everywhere I checked the Official Nintendo branded Switch pro controller is ether sold out or grossly overpriced.

If you just need a dock you can pick one up directly from Nintendo: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod880075&categoryId=cat831380
    edited April 6
    hyp36rmax wrote: »

If you just need a dock you can pick one up directly from Nintendo: https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/us/po/browse/productDetailColorSizePicker.jsp?categoryNav=true&navAction=jump&navCount=0&atg.multisite.remap=false&productId=prod880075&categoryId=cat831380

I wanted to pick up a 2nd for travel purposes. There a mod that takes a 3D printed new Shell and uses all the existing circuitry to make the dock smaller too.
    nintendotoday.com/nintendo-switch-3d-printed-dock/
  • hyp36rmaxhyp36rmax Joined: Posts: 122

I wanted to pick up a 2nd for travel purposes. There a mod that takes a 3D printed new Shell and uses all the existing circuitry to make the dock smaller too.

Yea i've seen those. A good option if you have the gear to fab it out.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,015
    I just got a shipment notification from Arcadeshock. Hope that 3rd gen silent JLF is better than the 2nd. I'll touch back here IF it actually is...
    edited April 10

Y'know, I was talking to my brother today, and I really wish Nintendo (or some 3rd party) will make a "mini-dock" like that, or even just an in-line adapter, so that I can have one to-go.
    We were both at our parents' house, and since we both have Switches, we both thought it'd be a great idea if we bought an extra dock and left it at our parents' house for when we happened to be there. But even split between the two of us, an official Nintendo dock is more than we'd want to pay for something that we're not going to use on a regular basis...
    Post edited by FreedomGundam on

Looking for:
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989
    White Paint???
    s-l1600.jpg

Also the seller's description is total B.S.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/152498214992
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
    "Collector's Edition."
    Aka painted in Mom's garage using Krylon Edition.

Dude has zero feedback. Good luck to him selling that POS ;-)
    edited April 10
    2tgfBoth.jpg

Sorry. I just couldn't help myself. Must be the BSers I've dealt with lately on Fleabay.

And the fucker states that it's "Brand New and SEALED" in his description....
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 966
    To be fair to the guy he has actually listed it as used in the item condition

The brand new sealed part is in the wall of text that he clearly copied and pasted from elsewhere
    edited April 10
    Sure, but point-to-fact is that the description should 100% match the condition. I've done this with all my listings. You've done it, and I'm sure others here have (I HOPE) as well.

It's not hard just to write a brief and accurate description of an arcade stick. This is NOT a "Collectors EditoR" (editor?). It's just hella lazy..
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,774
    You reminded me of what I've been wanting to do for a while.

Make a new Scammers thread in the TO, so that people can easily check, since the last one hasn't been updated in God knows how long.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    edited April 12
    The guy updated the item description. Bold text unbolded, and he removed both the brand new/sealed and collector's editoR remarks.

All the other plagiarized Mad Catz marketing BS remains, LOL.

EDIT: Sold! Wow there truly IS "a sucker born every minute"
    Post edited by jopamo on
    I spending time designing more custom arcade sticks and arcade cabinets that I really don't have the space for... Hell, I barely have time to play that much these days...

Looking for:
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,185
    edited April 11
    d3v wrote: »
    Yikes! Yea, So who will be our next USA FGC challenger?
    Razer

Razer sticks... So good you'll need two of em!
    edited April 11
    I spending time designing more custom arcade sticks and arcade cabinets that I really don't have the space for... Hell, I barely have time to play that much these days...

If it makes you feel better, I have had the Waifu-brakes pulled on any more sticks and cabs. I am slowly starting to realize that I really do have "more than enough." I just enjoy building stuff more than I do enjoy getting bodied in SFV--probably why I spend most of my gaming time playing Capcom 2D fighters on my Picade and Dreamcast than anything else these days.

jopamo wrote: »

If it makes you feel better, I have had the Waifu-brakes pulled on any more sticks and cabs. I am slowly starting to realize that I really do have "more than enough." I just enjoy building stuff more than I do enjoy getting bodied in SFV--probably why I spend most of my gaming time playing Capcom 2D fighters on my Picade and Dreamcast than anything else these days.
    I'm in the same situation. I just like building things; always looking for the next project to start.

My wife hasn't stick-blocked me entirely yet; almost all the ones that I have are full customs, and she's very supportive of my building-work (space providing, of course). It's the retail sticks (which I really only currently have a VLX; the rest have been long sold) that she's not crazy about, because her rationale is "Why do you bother spending so much money on retail sticks when you can build your own that are technically better?"

Looking for:
    edited April 11
    "Why do you bother spending so much money on retail sticks when you can build your own that are technically better?"

B/c it's like..
    article-2415853-002CD0A400000258-494_634x490.jpg

I only have four commercial sticks. I was in the process of letting go my modded VS and TE, but after Mad Catz's fall--I'm thinking to keep em. My two Sanwa modded Agetecs will only be pulled from my cold, dead hands.
    Hell I am thinking of selling off some of my sticks.
  • JRDIBBSJRDIBBS Neighborhood Modder Joined: Posts: 455
    Hell I am thinking of selling off some of my sticks.

Thinking the same thing,I have two panzers, two tek cases and a SfxT pro stick. Only the panzers are in my house, the others in storage. The sfxt is unsellable unless i spend the money and time upgrading it to ps4 and everyone really looks for the VS. Maybe ill update the thread and sell for pennies on the dime+shipping :confused:
    I mod so you can play!
    Joysticks, buttons and PCBs, all at paradisearcade.com!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    Kaimana Guru, check out my GitHub for layouts, animations and more!
    Member of the Church of Dremel and the Cult of Hot Glue.
    No mod is finished until you wrangle that wiring!
    I started streamlining my sticks last year, I'm down to around 30 !!

I've sold around 30 as well, it was difficult to sell at first, but it has to be done...... Combination of things, Had some money issues, hours cut down at work, and also the Mrs wanted to bring democracy to my games room

I've sold most my consoles as well, just have a few ps3's a dream cast, a GameCube, and the og Xbox

Still selling many sticks

edited April 12
    I thought about selling some sticks too, but they're mostly all one-off customs, and they almost all have a special place in my heart... and like @JRDIBBS said, it's a lot harder to sell of a stick nowadays unless they're PS4-modded, and that would mean more money/effort/time to spend there...

Looking for:
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,642
    nowadays i buy retail sticks so i know how to fix them, and what kind of mods I can do on it extensively. it's market research. i can write it off.
    Just received a KI XBO TE2 from a client for a parts-replacement, and it came modded already with a PCB that I don't recognize:
    stickmod.jpg

All the stick/buttons go to this PCB then to whatever's underneath the stock PCB cover.
    There's also a separate USB-B jack and a micro-tact switch on the casing connected to this PCB.
    And hot-glue galore. :(

Anyone know what this one is?

Looking for:
    A very poor attempt at copying the EZ MOD or EZ PZ....
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!

- Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    My my.... that's a lot of hot glue...
    Yeah. It's a good thing all I was asked to do was some parts-replacement, and possibly art.
    I'm glad I'm not touching any of the electronics.

Looking for:
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    edited April 12
    I think it's a board that let's the user use macros.
    And if so it's most likely from http://www.insanecombo.com

I've dealt with modding a stick with such a board before.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    You're probably right; the secondary external USB jack and the micro-tact switch seems to support that theory.

Looking for:
    You're probably right; the secondary external USB jack and the micro-tact switch seems to support that theory.

And for a whole $159.95 you too can get this awesome mess of tourney-illegal, friendship ending, hot glue put in your $250 fight stick :)

• LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Darksakul for mod 2018 Joined: Posts: 923
    Sounds like everyone in here is in their early to mid 30's. I myself have been trying to cut down to 2-3 joysticks.
    End of one nightmare, prelude to the another.

And for a whole $159.95 you too can get this awesome mess of tourney-illegal, friendship ending, hot glue put in your $250 fight stick :)

Yep there tourneys that will reject a stick for looking too fishy.
    Most sticks are accepted or rejected by the T staff's discretion.
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    Hi guys <3
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
  • FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 910
    Busy with life and business. Hopefully everyone has gotten along and stayed out of trouble while I was gone. :-)

I've got some arcade stick related content coming soon on YouTube. Will keep you guys in the loop. I give a shoutout to here as always and will be providing a link.
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
    You're alive!
    All we need is @deserada to pop his head in!

Looking for:
    edited April 14
    Great video review! When are more coming?
    jopamo wrote: »
    Great video review! When are more coming?

When it comes to reviews of specific sticks, I don't see myself doing them unless it's a new on the market stick and a company sends me one after I reach out.

I do plan to have more arcade stick modding video content up though including another MASS project like I did back in 2014 this time with products via Brook, Paradise Arcade Shop, Tek Innovations, and Eightarc. I'm aiming to have that project done by Q3 2017 but we'll see how things go.
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,106 mod
    Since we haven't done any food out loud posts in awhile.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO