Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    What is this about PS4 Pro's having joysticks randomly disconnect or drop inputs because it doesn't hold a steady 5v on the usb line?
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 21,610
    P. Gorath wrote: »
    What is this about PS4 Pro's having joysticks randomly disconnect or drop inputs because it doesn't hold a steady 5v on the usb line?

Use a external powered USB hub
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • P. GorathP. Gorath @ButtonMashLA Joined: Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Darksakul wrote: »

that seems like a really stupid thing to have to do with the more expensive version of a new state of the art system.

that seems like a really stupid thing to have to do with the more expensive version of a new state of the art system.
    it Bypass the issue of the USB ports on the PS4 Pro not holding a Steady 5v.

Its a common problem with all consoles with USB ports not just the PS4 Pro.
    The regular PS4, Xbox One, Xbox One S, and all models of the PS3 and Xbox 360 has in some form or another similar issues.

it usually comes from someone who mod/dual-mod their stick and added a crap ton of LEDs.

You think it's stupid but bypassing the issue all together is the easier solution.
    Using a powered USB Hub is also smart to use at tournaments, spare the console from unnecessary wear and tear from multiple people just yanking out USB cords without a care

There been tournaments where people made USB extenders just to avoid wear and tear on consoles.
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 784
    edited April 19
    I'm actually surprised that hubs/extensions aren't used more often at tournaments. USB type A ports aren't bulletproof, and repairing them once damaged on a main board can be risky business. All it takes is one salty crybaby yanking out their stick and POW.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,420
    jopamo wrote: »
    I'm actually surprised that hubs aren't used more often at tournaments. USB type A ports aren't bulletproof, and repairing them once damaged on a main board can be risky business. All it takes is one salty crybaby yanking out their stick and POW.
    I remember there was discussion that tournaments should at least use small USB extensions taped down to the table for players to plug their arcade sticks into.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified A man behind a desk Joined: Posts: 3,044
    I'm considering just putting a powered USB extension on the setup but if you're doing like the a stream you can always have a stage manager for them to plug the stick in for you.
    Not everyone has that luxury sadly

also
    hello, its still a butthole in here
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
    edited April 20
    LOL. Define butthole.
    (And no, not the intrinsic definition :wink: )
    Whoa.
    tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,187
    Is everyone coming out of the wood works now?
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

edited April 21
    Jamin3131 wrote: »
    Is everyone coming out of the wood works now?

i found my old JDM postcard and saw it was a sign

also here's some food
    i've been baking a lot recently

UHQear6M_v93fNMOggR3mb3EQFzZWR5GniufwihOPvWplbc1OVB3fFoHiFaWmjQMzuGFiP2P6V2KSZgyew1wjmP8kORG5iy9I-Z0mZtZGuJRzr_KLL7uRd1FVVbIDq4VFm-KOapBe2VoZy0bQVVuOZD14lZmsqoyN4kpzb1xyo9ixriIXftiGS_a6X9Jc7hJ-56_CTiGEy_yEGA1CfK7LsO_fXdaZHu1E-w7JIBFmrgtZF1a_LhhddaQFV7scMZnrJA7VGZbCzvH4Tuem6_7kwwk4FBhYxSHaZUAVorXh-zw7K3QfUPR6IUyIbHKZZdwcSZZ_Hswxe6mf7Wg1hjqODEVqTWqjqWS2GjNuFiMeGzdkHQW7QkNyF5TNPLao0ToiKqeic9bBWs1-6ykw5dziUN4NLVrJtXQxl25vcypnDlFCXDfPmJIbY0uimMUVYsyyAyGi6OmYWVi4cctPIEaQ37VckSzqYzO2nhw8ysAPOhuWTmfYeoMKrf8k1rFBramYcjI5MWxhFWwdL0U8Hhd2bh8A-UCtU743eFlJmRYu0x-J32TjidFCuPkHECbPGgPeX894vq7-W_4VCyDRydrCX7higJG-vE6hqXZU63f0H2sBCQwccYs=w1343-h755-no
    I need dat twitter PSR
    I really could go for some pecan pie right now T__T
  • Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 4,901
    I kind of worried. I think spam e-mail has become self-aware. It's only a matter of time now until Skynet launches a robot insurrection against us. -_-
    OFFICE OF THE PRESIDENCY
    NIGERIA INVESTIGATION BUREAU
    ANTI-FRAUD UNIT
    14A AWOLOWO LANE, IKOYI
    LAGOS NIGERIA.

From Desk Of Mrs Vivian Martins
    Director Inter-Switch Unit of the Fund Investigation Bureau
    Tel: +234-806-731-6969

ATTENTION: BENEFICIARY,
    (BE CAREFUL OF THE HOODLUMS)

I am Mrs. Vivian Martins Executive Chairman Nigeria Investigation Department/FBI Investigation department Nigeria, a committee set up by the Federal Government of Nigeria under the able President Muhammadu Buhari. Based on the finding in this investigation department we wish to warn you against some touts. We have been informed that some touts are contacting you in respect to the collection of your fund in the total sum of $15.5 Million US Dollars that was long approved in your favor through the Eco Bank of Nigeria plc.

As a matter of fact we have been on this investigation assignments for some time codely known to no one but the Presidency and some top government official who are in support of this investigation team to help stop fraudalent activities in this country. There is presently a counter claims on your funds by one MR ROBERT BENSON, who is presently trying to make us believe that you are dead and even explained that you entered into an agreement with him in your sick bed before you passed away, to help you in receiving your fund, So here comes the big question.

Did you sign any Deed of Assignment in favor of (MR ROBERT BENSON). thereby making him the current beneficiary with this following account details: MR ROBERT BENSON,AC/NUMBER: 6503809428. ROUTING/122006743,B/NAME:CITI BANK, ADDRESS:NEW YORK,USA, we shall proceed to issue all payments details to the said MR. ROBERT BENSON, if we do not hear from you within the next two working days from today. However, you are advice to email the bank and confirm to them immediately and let them know if MR. ROBERT BENSON is from you or not.

Here is the Banking Information's:

1) NAME OF BANK: ECO BANK NIGERIA PLC.
    2) CONTACT PERSON: MR. Jubril Aku
    3) TEL: +234-8061153073
    4) EMAIL: ecobnk.intnlremittancedep@gmail.com

Please note that you have less than 48hrs to get in contact with the Bank,or the Bank will proceed to issue all payments to MR ROBERT BENSON

Kindly reply urgently by today for more information and directive of claims.

We wait for your concern and action of claim to this regards.

Best Regards

Yours sincerely,

Mrs. Vivian Martins: Director Inter-Switch Unit of the Fund Investigation Bureau
    Deputy: Mr. Tony Allens:
    Telephone:+234-806-731-6969
    ******************************************************************************************************************
    Please note that some fraudsters are claiming to be the Executive Chairman, Chief Mrs. Vivian Martins (AIG rtd.) or staff of The Nigeria Investigation Bureau have recently been sending phony e-mails/letters and also calling unsuspecting persons, with intent to defraud them. It is important to note that these fraudsters are criminals engaged in Advanced Fee Fraud known in Nigeria as 419. Every day, people throughout the world are falling victim to scams of one kind or another. But remember - if it sounds too good to be true, it is probably a scam. In the circumstance, we unreservedly advice you to dissociate yourself from all correspondence and transactions entered into based on evidently fraudulent and fictitious claims.
    I bolded the 'WTF' part.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 117
    edited April 23
    I'm glad you like it.
    I've more fun in perspective:
    grXXpp9m.jpg
    Freshly built this afternoon
    I'm glad you like it.
    http://imgur.com/grXXpp9][img]http://i.imgur.com/grXXpp9m.jpg Freshly built this afternoon[/img]

Nice 3D Printer

I did find it's big brother

I'm glad you like it.
    http://imgur.com/grXXpp9][img]http://i.imgur.com/grXXpp9m.jpg Freshly built this afternoon[/img]

Nice 3D Printer

I did find it's big brother

Ha ha ha nice. Mine takes enought place like that. I'll find a place to put it after testing it.
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,187
    So after 5 years, finally finished wiring up my friends stick.. Life man.

Feels good though to get it done :)
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

• FrankCastleAZFrankCastleAZ SRKTT Modder of the Year 2014 & AZHP Gaming Founder Joined: Posts: 905
    Great video review! When are more coming?

Besides the arcade sticks and arcade projects I have going i'll be documenting, looks like another review will come soon as there's an Obsidian on it's way over to me to tear apart. XD
    SRK Tech Talk Modder of the Year 2014 - Best retail sticks of all time = Onyx/Pearl, TE1, Dragon, VLX
    AZHP Gaming - Providing casual and tournament video gaming services at events and conventions since 2006
    Paradise Arcade Shop <-- Buy all of your arcade parts from here
    Eightarc <-- Buy all of your arcade sticks from here (Code AZFGC2015 for $10 off $50+ or AZHPGAMING for $15 off $100+)
    Random question:
    What's the deal with Sanwa's yellow bat-top? They made them back in the day, but stopped? Or was it limited edition to begin with?
    I have custom builds in mind that would look awesome with a yellow color-scheme (for the parts), but I'm a bat-top user, and not having a great selection of standard bat-top colors available really throws a wrench in the plans...
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    Jamin3131 wrote: »
    So after 5 years, finally finished wiring up my friends stick.. Life man.

Feels good though to get it done :)

project secret project is still dead in my parents house after i moved out. that was 6 years now. I should go finish that thing
    I need dat twitter PSR
    edited April 25
    Random question:
    What's the deal with Sanwa's yellow bat-top? They made them back in the day, but stopped? Or was it limited edition to begin with?
    I have custom builds in mind that would look awesome with a yellow color-scheme (for the parts), but I'm a bat-top user, and not having a great selection of standard bat-top colors available really throws a wrench in the plans...
    So @FreedomGundam , firstly, as far as I know the yellow colored bat top was not in any way ever planned as a limited edition. Now, I've heard two reasons given for why the yellow bat top was discontinued. The first is that it was deemed to be a poor (and it is) color match to other yellow colored Sanwa parts and they just binned it. The other reason I've heard is that there was found to be some toxic chemical in the process of making it that weren't used in the other colors and they couldn't do that color any other way and binned it. Either of these sound semi-plausible. The second perhaps a bit less so as while something like cadmium can be used for yellow (and red) pigments it's not the only way to get a yellow color AND if your goal is to not expose people making your stuff to toxic shit you're probably going to avoid cadmium from the jump. If I really had to guess I would say it's a little of column 'a' (poor match), a little from column 'b' (something wrong with the process) and a general lack of demand. I would also say that if you're looking for one of these 'Good luck'. They're really rare and, just for reference, the one I had and sold on the trading outlet went for, if memory serves me correctly, $40. You're probably going to have an easier time getting creative with a white bat top and some vinyl dye. 3D printing might also be something to look into.
    House of Bane
    @Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0
    Awesome, thanks for the background.
    I guess if it really didn't match the other Sanwa parts, it makes sense. Though I vaguely remember reading that none of the Sanwa or Seimitsu yellow ball-tops nor buttons really match each other perfectly either.

Found an old post from 7 1/2 years ago from @rtdzign saying that he couldn't vinyl dye a bat-top (here), so that option might be out the window. Maybe down the line, I might try my luck with fabric dye with a white bat-top, for the sake of experimentation.

I've already re-planned my projects to use standard available colors, so I guess that's that.

Looking for:
    @Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0
    Awesome, thanks for the background.
    I guess if it really didn't match the other Sanwa parts, it makes sense. Though I vaguely remember reading that none of the Sanwa or Seimitsu yellow ball-tops nor buttons really match each other perfectly either.

Found an old post from 7 1/2 years ago from @rtdzign saying that he couldn't vinyl dye a bat-top (here), so that option might be out the window. Maybe down the line, I might try my luck with fabric dye with a white bat-top, for the sake of experimentation.

I've already re-planned my projects to use standard available colors, so I guess that's that.
    I actually have pics of my attempt to vinyl dye a bat top (see below). At least I think I used vinyl dye. Might have been fabric dye (whichever it was is currently sitting on a shelf in my old roommates garage). Key point was to apply acrylic lacquer on top (this is why my bat top is super shiny). I did experience a little flaking but I attribute this more to the fact that my palms secrete Xenomorph level acid instead of sweat than there actually being an issue with either the dye or the lacquer. Your mileage may vary.
    353763a.jpg

House of Bane
    Happy Birthday to @Markman
    What is that you're printing?
    What is that you're printing?

An armature for a mini arcade cab. The goal is to make a kit shippable in a flat enveloppe (you'll have to assemble it).
    This will support what I post a few weeks ago: s7wvXx7m.jpg?1
    Raspberry Pi (2 or 3), 5" HDMI screen, stick + 6 buttons.

I'll have to order the hull, which should be in acrylic laser cut.
    Mini cab should be 12cm large and 21cm height.
    Nice! I'm always on the lookout for a baby brother for my Picade
    If you ever get to making multiple units and would consider selling one--I'll take one off your hands :smiley:
    Nice! I'm always on the lookout for a baby brother for my Picade
    If you ever get to making multiple units and would consider selling one--I'll take one off your hands :smiley:

From my calculation, the armature itself should cost 30 bucks in PLA.
    But a lot of stuff still has to be clarified: for now there's no sound: you'll have to use the jack from the Pi and use headset. I can add a mono speaker though but for a cost. You'll need the PCB for the controls. I'll also have to add a HDMI splitter so you can plug it to a screen, but then it will only display 480p (because I have to stick with the 5" screen resolution), the stick is not what I was looking for, etc, etc.

I also need to get a quote from Ponoko for the acrylic laser cut.
    edited May 2
    progress:
    HzVxU8Im.jpg

Right side is a failure (PLA wire snapped in the middle of printing) that I just use for holding the structure.
    Parts need to be sanded to fit nicely.
    Raspberry pi 2 as scale in the bottom.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 928
    Progress:
    ggGk27Am.jpg
    • All the parts are printed, sanded and fit nicely. They will be glued tomorrow with epoxy, after I finish the fake neon on the top (need to make some test with better LEDs).
    • Electronic is pretty settle down now, I should get most of the parts tuesday.
    • There will be a small speaker (and a proper conversion to mono) with volume control and sense detection: when you use the external jack, this will cut the internal sound.
    • Waiting for adafruit stuffs (audio board and speaker).
    • Still missing the HDMI connectors: they are 3 month late (coming from China, first order was lost, waiting for the other).

Hopefully I should finish a big part this week, then sending my last PCBs (sound board, connector board and HDMI connector eventually).
    edited May 11
    Holy shit. Lit marquee? Wow! I think this deserves a thread indeed.
    Edit: What the heck I'm doing, I'm going to create a thread.

DO IT!!!
    Found this today on You Tube

I think it was appropriate to share it here.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 928
    edited May 12
    anyone heard of the Dragon Slay brand? they selling the below stick for £149.99 shipped (GBP)

im curious about the multi-platform pcb ps4/x1/pc, it does not state ps3 or 360, so im thinking its not a brook

but from the description im guessing you might have to plug in a controller

s-l1600.jpg

full details
    ✔ Japanese SANWA DENSHI joystick, Vewlix style 8 button layout ideal for all fighting games such as Tekken & Street Fighter
    ✔ L3, R3 for added game play options, TURBO mode for all 8 action buttons
    ✔ CUSTOMIZABLE template, storage compartment for cables, hex screwdriver
    ✔ 3M CABLE for easy connection to console, USB cable to connect with PS4 / Xbox One controller
    ✔ KEY LOCK SWITCH to enable only action buttons function, directional input toggle switch between Dpad, left or right analog stick

DRAGON SLAY Universal Arcade Fight Stick Controller This new generation multi format universal fight stick enables you to reach a greater level of success across a number of different fighting games. Built for players of classic fight games such as Tekkon, Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat to mention just a few, the Sanwa Denshi controls with the classic arcade layout gives you complete control. Compatible with Xbox One, PS4, PC as well as android this fight stick allows you a multitude of gaming options. Product Dimensions Height 8cm, width 25cm, length 41cm weight 3.5 kilos Packaging made of high quality material to protect & store all products, contains: 1 x Fight stick 1 x Hex screwdriver 1 x Micro USB cable 2 x Faceplate images 1 x User Manual 1 x Door Hanger 1 x DRAGON SLAY Sticker Pack

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg
    Real arcade parts and a decent case what I look into a stick the most. I usually end up replacing the PCB anyways
    edited May 12
    That's actually a pretty nice looking stick. I wish they gave us a side profile shot, because some of the angle shots make the bottom–middle of the stick look kind of strange. Still, with Mad Catz now out of the game it's always welcome to see new contenders enter the ring
    Yeah, the angles are a little deceiving in those photos; it's hard to tell how much of an incline it has or overall how thick the casing is.

@jopamo
    How does one get their hands on an GDEMU these days?
    In all honesty, I'm tempted to unload my Naomi stuff in favor of modding a Dreamcast...

Looking for:
    edited May 12
    A wise choice! I really wanted to play legit un-emulated/ported MvsC2, CvsS2, and Ikaruga...and was too much of a cheap-ass to spring for NAOMI hardware. Disc-swapping for JP games got tiresome so the GDEMU helps lazy me (and the optical drive) stay happy.

1. Visit Deunan's blog at https://gdemu.wordpress.com/
    2. Scroll to the bottom and click the "Follow" link to register and get notifications on his new posts.
    3. Read every post he...posts. Keep a keen eye on mentions of GDEMU order opening schedules.
    4. Make sure you're available the day/night-of the posted ordering time. NOTE: depending where on this planet you're located, that could be difficult. (I had to wait up to 1AM the last couple of times)
    5. Go to the following link and start your order when they are open (which lasted 15 mins max last time---@ 1am here in California). It will say "Pre-orders are now closed" in red all other times.
    https://gdemu.wordpress.com/ordering/ordering-gdemu/
    6. Enter your order details (PayPal registered email, your location, and your name). Note: you will not receive any automated confirmation that your "order" was placed. It actually isn't an order-per se. You're just putting your name on a contact list.
    7. Deunan will contact you (after an undisclosed amount of time) asking you to confirm shipping and payment details.
    8. Pay the man.
    9. He'll send you a confirmation of shipment via PayPal with a Polish Post tracking number (which is mostly useless if you are in the US or Canada, as there is no online tracking once it leaves Poland. You can pay extra for trackable EMS, but it starts at 40 Euro). The unit is wrapped in anti static bubble wrap within a padded envelope. NOTE: per Deunan, while you can't track online, calling your postal carrier via phone may render you some tracking success.
    10. Receive your GDEMU. Note: the first unit came to me in 1.5 weeks. The second came in 10 weeks...
    11. Install the GDEMU. If using the printed tray (see below)--It uses three of the screws that hold down your GD-ROM drive assembly, and uses another longer screw and standoff cylinder combo that he includes for the bottom-left screw hole on the PCB. If you forego the tray it will use just the included screw in his kit. NOTE: if using the tray, you must remove the top 2 standoffs attached to the GDEMU.
    12. Check the link for details:
    https://gdemu.wordpress.com/installation/gdemu-installation/

NOTE: You can pair the GDEMU with a really classy 3D printed SD card tray from Bit-District. Quality work but pricey. Not needed per se (though see my comment on overheating below), but adds a finished look and stores extra cards.
    https://bit-district.com/gd-emu-sd-card-tray.html

NOTE: the PSU still pushes 12V for the optical drive that is now gone, and thus can cause the PSU to overheat. The 3D printed tray (or strategically shaped cardboard or plastic) helps a lot here to emulate the old air travel path shaped by the GD-ROM assembly. Without this path established, heat will not exit out the side properly and could permeate the console causing overheats. I decided to take the 12V out of the equation on both of my Dreamcasts following a guide I found on Reddit. This method was also vetted by multiple peeps on the (unfortunately) now-defunct ASSEMblergames.com. Everything stays cool and controlled now:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/dreamcast/comments/461ohk/how_to_remove_12v_from_dreamcast_for_gdemu_and/

Sorry for the novel. Good luck!
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,714
    edited May 14
    I had a technician come install fibre service. Because the modem is encased in the wall, I told him I needed wired access to it for gaming. He kept swearing up and down that wireless does not cause any issues or drops in performance.

I ran two speedtests.

Wired:
    84eRQ3L.png

Wireless:
    tPu7XFH.png

...he still didn't believe me. I honestly think he just didn't want to put a Cat5 jack where the RJ-11 jack. was (despite the fact that the RJ-11 jack was wired with Cat5 cable)
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    edited May 14
    IMHO install techs many times know jack-SHIT about the technological nuances of what they are installing. This is coming from a former install tech.

Also was he swearing like "swear to god" swearing or "fuck, shit" swearing? Not that the distinction matters, as both are unprofessional. Customer comes first.
    Just tell him that you need a wired connection for a desktop that doesn't have a wireless card.

Looking for:
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,714
    He installed it anyway, saying we were entitled to a free jack "even though I'm sure that it won't make a difference."

So I just nodded and let him be right because I was getting what I wanted anyway. :coffee:
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Just tell him that you need a wired connection for a desktop that doesn't have a wireless card.

I would of told him I don't care, I not paying him for his opinion but his work I want done.
    I want a wired connection. I am paying for a service and I expect to get the service I am paying for.
    Even if the Wall jack is free, I am a paying customer. If its not free, here is moneys do the service I am paying for.
    I get it in one way, to most people, wireless won't change fuck all to their browsing habits.

But when I specifically told him it was for bandwidth intensive and ping-sensitive things such as broadcasting and gaming, he argued that it won't make a difference. I did one test on speedof.me and the ping fluctuated based on when I was wired or wireless, and I told him those ms of ping made a difference. He gave me the People's Eyebrow when I said that.