Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    emphatic wrote: »
    ifbpwnstar wrote: »
    So I've brought this up in the past but have had no luck, I even tried it myself using Akishop's Adobe instructions. but wasn't able to get Windows 7-64bit to recognize my stick to begin coding it on 3 computers.

You have to use a 32 bit system. I know, because I had the exact same problem.

Cerberus uses the same program/update style, and I do it on my win7 64 bit box just fine.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,497
    Anyone here use a desoldering gun?

I'm sick of using a desoldering pump, though I haven't used any desoldering wicks/braids yet. I just saw pics/videos of the Hakko 808 desoldering gun, and holy crap I need something like that.

Problem is, the Hakko 808 is ~$180 on Amazon.com, and some ~$330 on Amazon.ca (WTF?). Any other reliable models out there that anyone can recommend without me breaking the bank?
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,514
    I've seen MonoTekETeA use one at a philly tourny before. Think it was the same model too. It was godlike. I wish they weren't so damn expensive because I would of bought one.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,366
    d3v wrote: »
    Anyone here try Razer's new BlackWidow keyboards with their new Razer Green and Orange mechanical switches? How do these compare to Cherries?

Switches feel fine, (I don't know how long they will last) I just don't like the coating on their keys.
    The Switches are made by I believe some Korean company that made knock off cherries before.

I'm sick of using a desoldering pump, though I haven't used any desoldering wicks/braids yet. I just saw pics/videos of the Hakko 808 desoldering gun, and holy crap I need something like that.

Problem is, the Hakko 808 is ~$180 on Amazon.com, and some ~$330 on Amazon.ca (WTF?). Any other reliable models out there that anyone can recommend without me breaking the bank?
    Not in over a decade when i was in the service, and that an old military model.

“Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • teleuteteleute Panda Joined: Posts: 118
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Anyone here try Razer's new BlackWidow keyboards with their new Razer Green and Orange mechanical switches? How do these compare to Cherries?
    Switches feel fine, (I don't know how long they will last) I just don't like the coating on their keys.
    The Switches are made by I believe some Korean company that made knock off cherries before.

Can folk actually buy the switches separately? It seems like they'd be good for people who dislike the deep activation on the GamerFinger buttons.
    teleute wrote: »

Can folk actually buy the switches separately? It seems like they'd be good for people who dislike the deep activation on the GamerFinger buttons.
    Check out Geek Hack on knock off Cherry MX switches.

And deep activation? WTF?
    A Cherry MX switch activates about half way down, which is shorter than the Sanwa SW-68 switch.
    The Cherry MX switch does have is a deeper bottom out point.
  • teleuteteleute Panda Joined: Posts: 118
    A Cherry MX switch activates about half way down, which is shorter than the Sanwa SW-68 switch.

I just remember some people saying they felt the GamerFinger buttons had to be pressed deeper to activate but, yeah, I wouldn't be surprise if the issue was pressing till the bottom out point and thinking that was the activation point.

I'm mostly interested cause I can't seem to decide between the GamerFinger buttons and Silent Sanwa Clears.

I just remember some people saying they felt the GamerFinger buttons had to be pressed deeper to activate but, yeah, I wouldn't be surprise if the issue was pressing till the bottom out point and thinking that was the activation point.

I'm mostly interested cause I can't seem to decide between the GamerFinger buttons and Silent Sanwa Clears.
    its why for those who are new to Cherry MX switches (usually for keyboards) its recommended to start with Blues or Browns
    You feel the actuation as a noticeable bump, and on blues you hear a CLICK as you activate.

761b0078_vbattach197802.gif

Reds and Blacks have no indicator when the switch activates, reds of often use for Game Finger HBFS buttons as they are softer

Blues, Browns - Tactile
    Reds, Blacks - Linear

Legit Green MX switch do exist
    green_mx_DK9008G2_Pro.jpg
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod

I use a vacuum desoldering tool. Works really well.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,733 mod

The Razer switches supposedly activate shallower than the Cherries.

They're also supposed to last longer (60 million presses versus 50 million).
  • chaoslimitschaoslimits Death by snu snu Joined: Posts: 1,827
    i've never won any srk tt thing, so ill take what i can :v

i like the frown, it's not the best mizuhara pic yeah, but i find it cute.

funny too, I've gotten two PM's so far asking who it was.

i debated on whether to use the frown or this
    but i went with the frown because that's generally the face I make when im on the internet.
    I'm with you on that. Also think this is one of her more flattering pictures (from a quick image search). Second one, not so much :V

@kojibeoulve > i want to refund sf4 from my life; give me back all my lost time!
    edited April 2014

The Razer switches supposedly activate shallower than the Cherries.

They're also supposed to last longer (60 million presses versus 50 million).
    Before the Atrox Beta, I had bad experiences with Razor products.
    Their past keyboards was laughable and their headsets break about as often as tritton headsets

@hibachifinal‌
    Is there any truth to the rumors Mizuhara Kiko had plastic surgery?
    laA0lefo.jpeg
    Here is Mizuhara Kiko as a little girl (taken from her twitter account)
    To me other than age she pretty much looked the same.

I think her critics are confusing plastic surgery for the more common and too used for celebrity photos, photoshop.
    @DaRabidDuckie‌
    Thanks.
    I think I may need to get one sometime.
    A regular desoldering pump is passable for simple things like resistors, caps or diodes, but it's a pain in the ass for anything with more than 3 solder joints.
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,644
    Is there any truth to the rumors Mizuhara Kiko had plastic surgery?

To me other than age she pretty much looked the same.

I think her critics are confusing plastic surgery for the more common and too used for celebrity photos, photoshop.

a japanese fashion model actress (of korean descent)?

i don't doubt it.

There are many things at work, yeah like touchups on photos, but knowing japanese celebrities, this is very likely.

If only they spent as much on dental plans. :v
    (no offense, but.. c'mon.)

I do admit, her candid "I just got out of bed" photo where she is a mess, the picture obviously untouched,
    and it was obviously taken on a home camera and she still looks cute speaks alot about her looks.

• hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,644
    I do admit, her candid "I just got out of bed" photo where she is a mess, the picture obviously untouched,
    and it was obviously taken on a home camera and she still looks cute speaks alot about her looks.

her doing a snoop dogg is classy ;v
    edited April 2014
    Has anyone saved a copy of the Avant Garde LT font that we used for the "SUPER" part of the SSFIV logo? My file for it was lost when my old comp crashed.

EDIT: Never mind. Was able to redownload it again.
    Post edited by d3v on
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,634
    edited April 2014
    Not sure if it's the right place to ask, but does anyone know how to fix really old CDMA flip phones? phone works fine, but screen is just all black, probably due to a loose wire.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,837
    Take it apart and look for a loose wire connection.
  • deBorudeBoru Salty Shodan! Joined: Posts: 429
    Some scumbag movers stole my Dremel... my parents got me that Dremel when I moved out. So beyond angry, kinda just sad.

The mother-in-law paid for the movers so I don't even really know where to complain yet. Never let someone handle a move while your away guys.

My whole box of tools is gone, but the Dremel was the only thing with sentimental value.
    Nintendo 2DS Friend Code: 0619 - 4370 - 4095
    PlayStation Network/Steam ID: Chivalier
    Baby Registry: https://www.amazon.com/registry/baby/331X2ZYUUFEC6
  • MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,837
    I had someone break into my storage facility and steal my toolbox :( My mom had bought those. But, when I moved she got me a new toolbox anyway that ended up nicer in the end.

Mom's are so nice sometimes :)
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686

I recently picked up an 808. Still getting a feel for it (when to clean it, etc.), but so far, pretty awesome. I'll likely give an update in a few weeks after a few hundred more desoldered parts :)
    -ud
  • nscnsc Stay free, it's the way to be Joined: Posts: 1,795
    stolen tools are so sad :'( they just don't understand what's going on... lost and alone without their master, just aching to be used in a project as they are shamelessly sold illegally
    PSN: iamnsc ~ Steam: nsc
    Ontario, Canada
    which one of you dweebenheimers did this
    https://24.media.tumblr.com/fa855193a00f2ce9161befc36692d513/tumblr_n1nfvsszf31r5xbzdo1_500.jpg

i guess you could say that he's good at
    sharp turns

Wrong place for a handle that long. Should have put it on the handbrake lever, modded to sit vertical of course, so that he can just easily pull it for some handbrake drifts.
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    Gummo wrote: »
    I hate my roommate's dog. Good job chewing up my day one xb1 pad.

Apple bitter spray. Spray some on a cloth, run it down the length of any cable you don't want the dog chewing on (anything else too, for that matter), and he'll never chew it again.

I've had ZERO cords get chewed up by cats thanks to that stuff.

Oh, and wash your hands several times after using it. You seriously don't want that shit in your mouth.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

• ExtremeYoshiFanExtremeYoshiFan Joined: Posts: 1,179
    https://24.media.tumblr.com/fa855193a00f2ce9161befc36692d513/tumblr_n1nfvsszf31r5xbzdo1_500.jpg

sharp turns

Wrong place for a handle that long. Should have put it on the handbrake lever, modded to sit vertical of course, so that he can just easily pull it for some handbrake drifts.

That sounds like a fantastic idea until I accidentally grab my e-brake instead of the shifter when preparing to merge onto the highway. Let's keep the e-brake where it is.

sharp turns

That sounds like a fantastic idea until I accidentally grab my e-brake instead of the shifter when preparing to merge onto the highway. Let's keep the e-brake where it is.
    Why not, that's how it's set up in most rally and drift cars.
  • phaedrusphaedrus Joined: Posts: 818

Apple bitter spray. Spray some on a cloth, run it down the length of any cable you don't want the dog chewing on (anything else too, for that matter), and he'll never chew it again.

Oh, and wash your hands several times after using it. You seriously don't want that shit in your mouth.

I gotta try that. Luna decided it would be a good idea chew up my gamepad. Luckily it was only the analog stick cause i can buy a pro controller and use those. Nintendo does a flat $80 rate so bollocks to that.

7 button is trap.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,514

She chewed on the analog sticks and a lil bit of the rim of the faceplace surrounding them. It had no wires since its a wireless pad. I'm not going to spray the enitre pad,.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 2,017
    edited April 2014
    That's an interesting shifter mod, to put it mildly. I could see if it were a sequential shift transmission, a la rally cars. But hey, if he (or she) wants to get their Ken Block on, so be it

Oh yeah, dweebenheimer. Need to add that to the lexicon
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,450
    spenzalii wrote: »
    That's an interesting shifter mod, to put it mildly. I could see if it were a sequential shift transmission, a la rally cars. But hey, if he (or she) wants to get their Ken Block on, so be it

Oh yeah, dweebenheimer. Need to add that to the lexicon

Apparently you missed KoF 98.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
    edited April 2014
    Any of you modders deal with impatient clients? Almost all of the guys I've modded sticks for have all been very patient, even though I generally speed through the work faster than I predict every time. But one guy always seems totally impatient, but he's a returning customer who hasn't complained at all about any of the (very fair) pricing that I've given him, so I can't complain that much...

1st interaction:
    We send a few e-mails back and forth, talking about what he wants, and pricing. Details of mod is clear, and price for labor is accepted.
    me: "Ok, so we can meet up on Saturday, and I should have it ready back for you the next day (Sunday)"
    him: "Ummmm. I don't feel comfortable handing off my stick to a stranger..."
    me: (internally) "WTF?!?!?!??! What do you want to do, hang out at my house while I mod it?!??"

2nd interaction (a few months after the 1st):
    Again, a few e-mails on details of the mod, and prices. Work is clear, price is accepted.
    him: "Can you meet up Thursday evening? And is it possible to finish by Saturday?"
    me: "Ok, I can meet up on Thursday evening, but since I'm not home most of Thursday or Friday, I can't guarantee the Saturday. I'll say Sunday to be sure."
    him: "No worries. It'd be nice to have it for Saturday, but no rush or anything."
    i]come Saturday morning, 9:45am[/i
    him: (via text) "Soooo... How's it going with the stick?"
    i]I ignore the text for an hour to do most of the mods needed[/i
    me: "Almost done. Just need one last thing, but that'll need me to run my electric drill, and I don't want to do it now because my wife is still sleeping."
    him: "Do you think you'll be able to finish it for me today?"
    me: (internally) "WTF!??!?!?!? I told you I'll have it for you for Sunday!! Argggggggghhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!"

3rd interaction:
    He's disappointed that the JLF comes with a square gate and that there's too much throw. I told him I have extra octo-gates at home, and a Kowal actuator that I wanna try out; if I don't like the actuator, I'll sell it to him (after I test it out).
    i]Monday[/i
    me: "I'll hopefully try out the actuator tonight, I'll let you know."
    him: "Ok cool, no rush."
    i]Tuesday morning[/i
    him: (via text) "Did you test out the actuator yet?"
    me: "No, didn't have time. Maybe tonight if I have time?"
    him: "Ok cool."
    i]Wednesday morning[/i
    him: (via text) "Did you test out the actuator yesterday?"
    me: "No, got sidetracked on my Supergun, didn't have time. We'll see tonight."
    him: "Ok cool."
    i]Thursday morning[/i
    him: (via text) "Call me when you have a minute."
    me: (I call him) "What's up?"
    him: "Did you test out the actuator?"
    me: (internally) "WTF!??!?!?!?"

Looking for:
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    Ive had to deal with that at tournaments. Whats really annoying is that as soon as their stick is ready for pickup they take forever to come get it.

Oh my god I have to laugh every time I see this with you guys.

Happened to me on the odd occasion I actually do installs and such, and it's always *look back at the stack of sticks* "hmm... gimmie another hour" and they come back in like 20 minutes.

Like clockwork, mod is done, and they don't come back for like 6 hours -.-
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    It was tedious but I just finished building my Super Gun.
    Everything worked great.

Now to talk to a certain eBay seller on where my bloody Unibois.
    @Darksakul‌
    Why aren't you posting it in the "Check out my Supergun!" thread then? :D

On that topic, I'm also doing some maintenance on my Supergun; trying to rig up undamned's UD-USB LEDs to the front panel of the X360.
    Problem is essentially 3-fold:
    1) The UD-USB uses/expects common-cathode LEDs, whereas the X360's front panel uses common-anode LEDs. This is solvable with some inverters and stuff, but I don't really feel like going that route.
    2) I'm desperately trying to reuse the connector-header between the front panel PCB and the internal PCB, so space is a little limited for wiring.
    3) On the front-panel-PCB side of things, I'm sure there's some weirdo connections between the connector-header pins and all the other contacts on the board; I've tried cutting traces and everything, but it seems that a few of the header pins are never truly isolated from each other.

I think I might actually drill some holes in the PCB and mount in my own 3/5 mm LEDs, since I might have already burned/killed the existing LEDs (I had a really bad short circuit earlier on).

Looking for:
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    @FreedomGundam‌ I'm slowly getting used to the fact that modding an existing board is often harder than just designing your own :)
    -ud