Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

1689690691692693695»

Comments

• jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 646
    edited May 14
    In the other way it's imperative to be familiar with the use cases of the resources you help install--eight hours a damn day. If he gave the People's eyebrow to a business owner, he'd be flipping burgers the next day.

Sheeit...even when I was back flipping burgers at Wendy's, I paid attention to my dad at the grill every chance I got.

That dude is just illiterate/lazy
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 896
    That upload speed is nice, my fibre is 76 down, 19 up

A few years back when I had standard broadband, I was on 15 down, 1 up,

back then, I put gigabit Ethernet all round the house, going through walls and ceiling, the guy I had doing all the fitting told me it would be cheaper to just get a router with more wifi range or use power line adaptors!

When the fibre installer came last year, he told me I didn't need all the ethernets plugged in to the router because it has 5ghz WiFi which is future proof for 5gb speeds!
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,638
    Yeah, so far this bandwidth is blazing, especially for the price. Got on Bell on a promotion, so this package was relatively cheap.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • EldritchOnRyeEldritchOnRye Joined: Posts: 63
    edited May 15
    Makes me think of the video from the winter of the Comcast tech causing those accidents with his ass hattery in the slippery conditions and then getting hostile about it. Makes me think of when I switched providers and was very specific about how I wanted things ran (even though the line from that provider was still installed in the house from having them a couple years prior) and it was a big to do.

This is why I just drilled my own holes to run the ethernet. Go go 10 megabit speed!
    PSN: EldritchOnRye
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,638
    edited May 15
    Makes me think of the video from the winter of the Comcast tech causing those accidents with his ass hattery in the slippery conditions and then getting hostile about it. Makes me think of when I switched providers and was very specific about how I wanted things ran (even though the line from that provider was still installed in the house from having them a couple years prior) and it was a big to do.

This is why I just drilled my own holes to run the ethernet. Go go 10 megabit speed!

Yeah, the thing is, all he had to do was this one jack, because my girlfriend has a Surface (no ethernet jack), and we have our smartphones, so the only things I need it for is my PS4 and my laptop when I'm streaming. And IF by any chance I move my stream gear upstairs later, I can install another Cat5 jack pretty easy up there as well.

So meh, he was kinda getting uppity about it, but at this point, it's not even an issue, since it got done, and the service is working as I desire it. It's snappy on bandwidth on wireless when I'm not gaming, but it blazes on wired.

Once I get my stream gear up here, I'll just buy a decent ethernet switch, and call it a day.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 108
    To their defense, most of those "tech guys" have no formation whatsoever, and thrown at people's house where customers are not better or overly aggresive (I PAID FOR A GODDAMN SERVICE). They are also tied to be as fast as possible beacause they are booked and cannot spend too much time. They are somteimes also forced to sell products with minimum mendatory sells.
    Sure, some of them are overconfident or can be asshole.

Last time a tech come to change something at my appartement (Videotron in Canada, needed to upgrade my modem), the guy saw my installation, backed off, gave me the new modem and told me "I think you don't really need me, just give me the old one". Nothing impressive here: no wifi, ethernet cables and switches. Classic stuff, but a lot of wires.
    He let me installed it, then after that he updated my connexion and plan (illimited download, yay!) on his smartphone. After we check if everything was normal (ping, bandwith, DNS, etc.), he told "I'm sure you're not the kind of customer who call for minor things" and before he leave (10mn intervention) he told me he wishes every customer was like me.
  • ed1371ed1371 Yogahh Joined: Posts: 1,517
    O hai... Whats goin on round these parts?
    why crimp when you can solder??

PSN: Nippage
    Anyone here have any idea where to buy a ps3 account?

Been trying for ever to get the capcom jojos HD but no joy

Anyone no longer using theirs I will take and compensate
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 20,874
    anzhar wrote: »
    Anyone here have any idea where to buy a ps3 account?

Been trying for ever to get the capcom jojos HD but no joy

Anyone no longer using theirs I will take and compensate

Careful with that, buying an PSN account is a violation of PSN EUA.
    Even if you do get an account, you might not be able to download said game.
    Many games are pulled off the servers entirely when they come off the PSN shop.

I saw this https://www.reddit.com/r/StardustCrusaders/comments/4fdebq/is_there_any_way_to_buyplay_jojos_bizarre/
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-09-11-jojos-bizarre-adventure-hd-has-been-removed-from-xbox-live-and-eu-psn
    It's removed on both Xbox and PSN

So getting an account isn't going to help.
    Your best bet is getting the physical disk, if there is one.
    Or get a older version for the Dreamcast.

Remember when Nintendo had an entire series that revolved around a character who used an arm-cannon for like everything?
    Pepperidge Farm remembers.
    To their defense, most of those "tech guys" have no formation whatsoever, and thrown at people's house where customers are not better or overly aggresive (I PAID FOR A GODDAMN SERVICE). They are also tied to be as fast as possible beacause they are booked and cannot spend too much time. They are somteimes also forced to sell products with minimum mendatory sells.
    Sure, some of them are overconfident or can be asshole.

Last time a tech come to change something at my appartement (Videotron in Canada, needed to upgrade my modem), the guy saw my installation, backed off, gave me the new modem and told me "I think you don't really need me, just give me the old one". Nothing impressive here: no wifi, ethernet cables and switches. Classic stuff, but a lot of wires.
    He let me installed it, then after that he updated my connexion and plan (illimited download, yay!) on his smartphone. After we check if everything was normal (ping, bandwith, DNS, etc.), he told "I'm sure you're not the kind of customer who call for minor things" and before he leave (10mn intervention) he told me he wishes every customer was like me.

I kinda get that. I worked for Verizon's DSL Tech Support line in 2006, and I had some absolute asshole customers who would make you hate your life and the fact that it exists. Some guy was telling me to go hang myself because Verizon had shut down his email account because his password was abc123. Yes, people like that really exist. It had been just that week when Verizon started suspending emails with that password or similar. He was absolutely furious and took it all out on me as though I were the policy department and the CEO.

I deadpan said, "I just guessed your password. I don't even have it on file here, but I knew what it was. Your average hacker's going to take less time than me to gain access to every single thing in your Verizon account." That was apparently irrelevant to him, as I was the "little shit who shut off his email." Even after we changed his password and got his email back online, I was still a piece of shit.

And the problem is you can't terminate the call/leave the premises on assholes like this. The only time techs can leave is if the problem is marked resolved or if you're in the premises, they threaten violence. The majority of the time, DSL installs and service calls don't even take place at the premises and are instead on the lines outside. Cable installs are more likely to take place inside than DSL, and Fibre often needs to look at both the premises and the node.

Yes, there were ways around it, which depending on how long it's gonna take me to get through a call with an asshole, I would utilize. I had a Russian guy challenge me to a spelling bee because he couldn't spell Verizon (He spelled it Verzon) to get to our screen sharing site, which I needed to fix something for him because he couldn't understand my directions. I decided, "Fuck it," and transferred him to Dell. Or if someone called me already infuriated and I saw any other call in the last two days to support in his/her notes, I'd auto-transfer them to supervisors, because those types almost always got sent there anyway.
    Darksakul wrote: »

Only thing I'm aware of that can't be redownloaded at all is P.T. Everything else that's been delisted from being sold is still available for download by those who purchased it through their download list.

Regardless it's not the smartest thing to do.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,414
    edited May 19
    M9YxUBk.png
    VY7NccM.png
    :coffee:
    I should note that I don't even have a thread in the trading outlet asking for anything like what he's selling. He literally joined just to peddle his stuff to a random user who never asked for it.
    edited May 20
    Welcome to SRK, @MasterMasher8 . You're gonna do really well here! /S
    Post edited by jopamo on

Only thing I'm aware of that can't be redownloaded at all is P.T. Everything else that's been delisted from being sold is still available for download by those who purchased it through their download list.

No, other games got delisted before also had their downloads pulled.
    It's called losing their license for the IP. Happened with a number of games.
    Remember when Nintendo had an entire series that revolved around a character who used an arm-cannon for like everything?
    edited May 20

You still own those games and can freely download them if purchased prior to delisting. They don't just take those away from you, the licensing expiration just stop them from being able to sell the games. For example you can see the Scott Pilgrim game and DLC in my account that was delisted (and denoted by the missing artwork since that's gone from the store) three years ago when the license expired is still there and available for download:

delist_example.jpg

There was even a trick with the 360 once upon a time (which I'm pretty sure was closed off a while ago) where the game demos used to let you buy the game from within the demo. So if you had "bought" the demo at some point before it was delisted you could even go through the demo and still buy it.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    edited May 20

You still own those games and can freely download them if purchased prior to delisting. They don't just take those away from you, the licensing expiration just stop them from being able to sell the games. For example you can see the Scott Pilgrim game and DLC in my account that was delisted (and denoted by the missing artwork since that's gone from the store) three years ago when the license expired is still there and available for download:
    [Image Snip]

There was even a trick with the 360 once upon a time (which I'm pretty sure was closed off a while ago) where the game demos used to let you buy the game from within the demo. So if you had "bought" the demo at some point before it was delisted you could even go through the demo and still buy it.

Publishers can choose to remove the game off the servers. Only Online game buying service that keeps the download forever for buyers is Steam.
    They made that corporate policy publicly known, it would take a court case to pull a game from the server.

Sony has killed games on PSN before, mostly Capcom Fighting game titles where Capcom no longer has the IP. Prime example MvC2 a while back.
    edited May 20
    Prime example MvC2 a while back.

Behold, the #1 reason why I got back into Dreamcast after a 17 year hiatus. I had MvC2 on PS3. I sold the PS3, and bought another one down the line. Logged into my account and said "WTF!" really loudly.

You can still download the games that are delisted,

I put a 500gb hdd in my ps3 a few months back, and I had to download and install everything again, including mvco, mvc2, and the mvc3 dlc, afterburner climax, ridge racer 7 all of which are delisted

Even for example thq which is no longer in existence, I can download their demo for ufc because I did so back in the day

With jojo's HD I can still download the demo, because I had done so back then, I just never got round to purchasing the full game, as I was deep in to an mmo from 2013 to 2016 and was putting a lot of money in to that
    Perhaps there are different legal rights or allowances on IP defunct downloads on the U.K. store, b/c my MvC2 was distinctly absent on my account here in the US when I got my second PS3.

Now that I have a Dreamcast, I no longer give a frak about losing out on my PS3 version...
    Accept no substitutes!
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,484
    I just took a tour of a local makerspace. I'm definitely signing up for the place. I just wish I knew about this place earlier.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    edited May 20
    TechShop around here charges upwards of $150/mo. for equipment access, which kind of makes it imperative to sign up ONLY when most aspects of your projects are FINALIZED (unless you're rich). Is that the case with the makerspace by you? If not, I'm jealous!
    jopamo wrote: »
    Perhaps there are different legal rights or allowances on IP defunct downloads on the U.K. store, b/c my MvC2 was distinctly absent on my account here in the US when I got my second PS3.

Now that I have a Dreamcast, I no longer give a frak about losing out on my PS3 version...
    Accept no substitutes!

Actually the marvel games are on my US account.

I got accounts for UK, Japan and HK also, to take advantage of sales and the fact that some are region exclusive or the fact that some online play is region locked, so I weigh up where the most active will be and buy that
    Well...shit. That sucks. I guess something must have changed. Sadly, I deep sixed my PS3 super slim soon after the realization that I couldn't re-download. The whole ordeal kinda swore me off consoles as a whole (except my Dreamcast and Wii U). I was also salty on the fragile legal aspect of game downloads as a whole as well. Thankfully, Valve's handled this well so far. Fingers crossed!
  • 4LCH3M15T4LCH3M15T Joined: Posts: 5
    edited May 22
    Is it possible to buy a PS home button? I don't like the look of the Xbox one, and want to change it. If not a PS home button, then is there any other alternative?
    4LCH3M15T wrote: »
    Is it possible to buy a PS home button? I don't like the look of the Xbox one, and want to change it. If not a PS home button, then is there any other alternative?

Sure you could find spare parts on ebay, but it's not going to be a drop in install.
    You have to be willing to cut, sand and glue parts to make it work.
    Is there an easier alternative? For example, changing the icon/art on the home button?
    edited May 22
    4LCH3M15T wrote: »
    Is there an easier alternative? For example, changing the icon/art on the home button?

You are talking about the Xbox One game pad right? Awnser is still the same.

if you are talking about something like this on a stick, same business. No one sells a drop in place replacement.
    original.jpg
    At best you could find someone with the PlayStation version button to trade. But more likely you have to get into the nitty gritty and cut and glue parts together.

The easier alternative is doing nothing.
    Alright. Thank you for clarifying that for me.
    edited May 22
    I'm not sure how the Home button is constructed in the HRAP, but I was able to scrape the logo off on my Mad Catz TE and SFxT VS not long ago. You could open the case up and see if you can get to the button. If you can, check the button to make sure that the logo is a decal or pad print on the flat underside of the button. Then you can flake off the logo with a hobby knife (after submerging in some Goo Gone) and repaint the underside any color you want. I used a black Sharpie marker. DO NOT paint the top of the button.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 412
    Apperantly 8bitdo bt controllers got a fw update that adds switch compatibility. Might be a good option for people looking for a wireless paddhack for Switch.
    http://support.8bitdo.com/#tab2
    edited May 23
    Nice! Thanks. It 8Bitdo can add that functionality with an update, hopefully Brook Ccould as well.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 412
    Its different, 8bitdo are bluetooth controllers. Brooks boards only use bt (afaik) for authentication before transferring data over usb.
  • Jasen HicksJasen Hicks JasensCustoms.com Joined: Posts: 2,261
    Dubon wrote: »
    Its different, 8bitdo are bluetooth controllers. Brooks boards only use bt (afaik) for authentication before transferring data over usb.

I don't think there is Bluetooth anything in the Brook Boards. There are physically NO antenna traces on the board whatsoever and they wouldn't work with the Panzer at all if they did (which is NOT the case). The steel attenuates RF transmission quite well (hence external antenna on the PFS:WIRELESS).
    2014 SRK Tech Talk Company of the Year Jasen's Custom Creations - Custom Joysticks, SuperGuns, Vinyl Graphics
    2014 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick - Retired
    2015 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 2.0 - Hiatus
    2016 SRK Tech Talk New Arcade Stick of the Year Panzer Fight Stick 3 - Order Now!
    2016 SRK Tech Talk Member of the Year Co-Recipient

- Jasen's Customs Facebook, it's where the pictures are: Facebook
    - Follow me on Twitter to see what new things I am adding: Twitter
    - Learn something? I try to publish all of my creations and tutorials at: The TechBlog
    edited May 24
    My hope is not from a technical parity perspective, @Dubon ---more a philosophical hope. And besides, I'm sure it's easier to add signal functions to a USB-connected PCB, than it would be to add signal functions over Bluetooth (and maybe messing with a BT stack).
    Post edited by jopamo on
    About to build a supergun. What's a good-ish size for dimensions on the case? May do a custom casing for it.
    About to build a supergun. What's a good-ish size for dimensions on the case? May do a custom casing for it.

Depends what you want to do with it.
    Are you going to mount a board on top or do you want it to be portible?