Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• EldritchOnRyeEldritchOnRye Joined: Posts: 89
    edited May 30
    jopamo wrote: »
    Routing is an art (aka pain in the ass to get perfect). Practice your cut a ton beforehand, then take your sweet time

Yeah I'm going to try and keep it as simple as possible. Round over on the outer edges to make it look cleaner. Using 3/4" for the panel and bottom (since that's what I had on had that matched the panel in size) so I'm going to have to remove some from the bottom to make sure there's clearance. At least that won't have to be perfect in appearance as long as I don't do something dumb like screw up the depth setting and can fence it off to keep the edges straight. Assuming I don't have to route the top panel to make the buttons actually snap in the back panels going to be the tricky part that will take some practice. Going to try and sink the Switchcraft so it's recessed but then if I can pull that off cleanly I'll have to figure out how to do the rear buttons the same way.

Fortunately I have a lot of wood in my garage that's not really project quality but will be good for practice stuff. Hopefully the weather stays decent while I have a few days off so I can get it glued together at least.
    Gummo wrote: »
    Baby Henrik is born today! Can we get team tech talk onesies made?

Congrats. Now just wait for the day you start making them sticks (assuming you haven't already).
    PSN: EldritchOnRye
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    Routing is an art (aka pain in the ass to get perfect). Practice your cut a ton beforehand, then take your sweet time

Yeah I'm going to try and keep it as simple as possible. Round over on the outer edges to make it look cleaner. Using 3/4" for the panel and bottom (since that's what I had on had that matched the panel in size) so I'm going to have to remove some from the bottom to make sure there's clearance. At least that won't have to be perfect in appearance as long as I don't do something dumb like screw up the depth setting and can fence it off to keep the edges straight. Assuming I don't have to route the top panel to make the buttons actually snap in the back panels going to be the tricky part that will take some practice. Going to try and sink the Switchcraft so it's recessed but then if I can pull that off cleanly I'll have to figure out how to do the rear buttons the same way.

Fortunately I have a lot of wood in my garage that's not really project quality but will be good for practice stuff. Hopefully the weather stays decent while I have a few days off so I can get it glued together at least.
    Gummo wrote: »
    Baby Henrik is born today! Can we get team tech talk onesies made?

Congrats. Now just wait for the day you start making them sticks (assuming you haven't already).

He has the modded vtech stick waiting for him
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,046
    Congrats Gummo
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,434
    Just came back from a week-long vacation in California, staying mostly in the San Jose and San Mateo areas.

Stayed at my cousin's place in San Jose; about 6 years ago when I started making Japanese-style arcade sticks, I made him (and his twin brother) each a custom stick (posted way back in 2012 here).

When I was there this past week, I saw this on his coffee table:
    ken-stick2017.jpg
    Putting aside that a lot of his living room needs to be dusted (he lives by himself and isn't home much, so he doesn't have much time to clean), the stick clearly hasn't been used in a long while. Sad-face... T_T

Also hidden in the back, and also clearly not having been used in a long time:
    mas-stick2017.jpg
    More sad-face... T_T
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    So I decided to cut a 2 way Male to Male scart cable in half, to reduce the length thus reducing interference.

Man was it a chore, I rather wire up another Jamma harness
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 906
    edited May 31
    Just came back from a week-long vacation in California, staying mostly in the San Jose and San Mateo areas.

Hope you liked your stay. Weather was good here the past week. It's going to get hella hot the next. So, bullet dodged.

I also hoped you dusted off those sticks. A dusty stick makes baby Jesus cry.
    Day two in the books and everything's still attached but I'm at that point of "kind of wish I had just ordered from Jasen." Got all the panels cut to size without issue but then I went to rabbet them and that didn't go so well. Was going for 3/8" rabbets since all the pieces are 3/4" and figured that would be better than just trying to butt it all together and glue it but I also decided to cheap out and not pick up a rabbeting bit. Foolishly listened to the internet that was all "oh it's simple to do with a table saw, just set the depth once and cut twice". First passes weren't bad but when I went back for the second passes it was not good. Set up a fence and cleaned them up with a straight bit but the first two pieces weren't fitting together right or even consistently. Should have just gotten the rabbeting bit in the first place and will have to pick one up tomorrow (either to make it 3/8" consistently if I was under or 1/2" if I was over somewhere) and hope I can salvage the pieces. Otherwise it's cut all new sides and trim down the top and bottom which I don't want to do.

Also I forgot that it's summer now and got burnt enough that it's made me a little extra cranky about today.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    edited May 31
    It's all part of the process. You'll only think back on how much of a challenge it was when you marvel at the finished product.

I am kinda sharing your struggle, but with my camera. I busted out my SLR today and opened up my new light tent kit.
    This is the first unedited photo that I took. It's not bad, but there's A LOT of room for improvement. Hopefully with practice, I'll get better.

ctSDssw.jpg
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 248 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    anyone that knows me as a friend knows I like to drag my feet on everything and change my mind frequently. That being said, does anyone have a hookup for a Hayabusa Optical before I start looking through eBay listings?
    edited June 1
    Nothing to do but regroup and carry on at this point anyway. Re-measured the rabbets after dinner and they weren't actually as bad as I thought. A bit rough unfortunately because of the ill advised table saw cuts but it should all be workable still at least. Kind of works out anyway since I just now realized that I cut the front and back panel a half inch short thanks to apparently dimensioning the wrong edge when converting the 3D model to a 2D drawing to work off. So it actually kind of works out since I'll have to rework the dimensions a bit anyway and fix the problems at the same time. Maybe just go the whole way instead of trying to fix the rabbets just go from 18x10 down to 17x9 and do them fresh with the right bit.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    mikeohara wrote: »
    anyone that knows me as a friend knows I like to drag my feet on everything and change my mind frequently. That being said, does anyone have a hookup for a Hayabusa Optical before I start looking through eBay listings?

I think I have a Hayabusa optical in my spare parts bin.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • Raij1nRaij1n Joined: Posts: 1,113
    I just got yelled at by wifey for checking the forums while camping. Do I really "have a problem?"

I'd anyone does its her.
    edited June 3
    Think I'm down to another pass of sanding tomorrow and then can fit and glue everything. Hopefully all the pieces fits together without issue (fingers crossed). Dry fit of the buttons and USB pass through looks good at least: https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/224056684371247107/320348096217481226/20170602_194606.jpg

Edit- Boy I've been looking in to finishes and the options are completely overwhelming. Would probably help if I knew what type of wood I was working with.
    Post edited by EldritchOnRye on
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    You think you have enough clamps in your life until you try to glue something and then suddenly there's not enough clamps in the world.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    edited June 4
    Welp. One of the Paewang PCBs in my arcade cabinet (housing an X360) inexplicably crapped out.
    Now to try to find another X360-compatible PCB around the house so that I can get the thing running again...

Now here's a dilemma. Do I:
    a) Just use another X360 PCB (already found) and just get the cab running again, or
    b) Take this as an opportunity to make a few changes to make the unit more modular and more future-proof?
    Post edited by FreedomGundam on
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,519
    As long as you're not planning on swapping the 360 out for another system and the PCB you found isn't crap, I'd go with option a.
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    As long as you're not planning on swapping the 360 out for another system and the PCB you found isn't crap, I'd go with option a.
    That's the thing.
    I have no plans in the short-term to swap out the 360, but in theory, I won't be running the 360 in there forever.

The PCB I found was from a 360 Brawlstick, and I've tested it to confirm that it still works.

Option B would be interesting, because I'd want to aim to use the same modular PCB project boxes as all my other custom sticks (ABS Modular stick and Saint-Seiya-Happ stick).

Looking for:
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,400
    Depends on whether or not you feel like spending. Sounds like option a would save you a good chunk of change. But then again, tinkering is fun.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Givin' dat ho ho ho dem eyes. Joined: Posts: 13,758
    Just get a Brook and call it a day?
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV | CFN: MissingPerson GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Hmmm. Already halfway there in making the thing compatible with my existing PCB project-boxes.

Putting a Brooks UFB is a great idea (the internal wiring to my control panels are already wired to a 20-pin connector with the PS360+/UFB pinout), but would require the most money being spent.
    So far, I've scrounged together all the parts/materials that I need from my parts bins. And everything will be modular. Hell, I could do all this modular updates, and STILL put in a UFB in there afterwards.

Looking for:
  • gahrlinggahrling Better safe than Hori.. Joined: Posts: 3,966
    Welp. One of the Paewang PCBs in my arcade cabinet (housing an X360) inexplicably crapped out.

Those Paewang pcb's are fucking horrible, it's more a case of good riddance than anything else.

You've got all the parts you need to replace the pcb and make it modular so there's no need to go wasting cash on a UFB.
    gahrling wrote: »
    Those Paewang pcb's are fucking horrible, it's more a case of good riddance than anything else.
    Yeah. The hilarious thing is that I've heard of Paewangs dying on people without reason, but the two that I've had in my cabinet have been working great since I got them back in 2011, never had an issue with them. I guess it was about time.

Looking for:
    edited June 5
    I used to be a whiny bitch about all the new and relatively extraneous threads popping up on this subforum on a near-daily basis.

... Now, when I squint, I can see tumbleweeds blowing in. What gives?
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,400
    edited June 5
    9/10 of new people got barked at, the result was predictable.

Other potential factors:

-SFV hasn't taken off like 4 and its iterations did.

-PS4 has completely dominated the Xbone in terms of the fighting game market, meaning there's less demand for dual mods.

-Arcade sticks are pretty durable, and the market is closer to a saturation point than it was following the success of the MCZ TE line.

-Brook adapters are pretty good, it's likely that many last gen stick owners just use those.

-Buying a UFB, wiring, and tools (assuming we're talking about a newcomer) costs pretty damn close to what a new PS4 stick costs. I suspect that many people who look into modding their old sticks have just bought new ones.

-PC is a more viable platform for fighters than it was early last gen. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing many more console exclusive fighters.

Post edited by PresidentCamacho on
    Well put. I wonder if we'll see an uptick in buzz once MvCI hits..
    This stick is so close to being an actual thing it's amazing. Got it all blended together today and it almost looks like I had some idea what I was doing. Have to glue in the support structure (since I forgot to actually build it) and do final sanding and then on to paint. So hard to be patient at this point but now I'm at the part that requires the most patience (probably going to take a week to do paint including the design).
    -Buying a UFB, wiring, and tools (assuming we're talking about a newcomer) costs pretty damn close to what a new PS4 stick costs. I suspect that many people who look into modding their old sticks have just bought new ones.

-PC is a more viable platform for fighters than it was early last gen. Doesn't look like we'll be seeing many more console exclusive fighters.

No kidding on the cost. I'm sure I've spent a bit more at this point than buying a PFS3 on building my stick and even that was a good $100+ more than most commercial sticks. At the same time I wound up this route coming at it from the other angle and feeling like if I was spending $200-250 just for a PS4 stick I was better off doing something with a UFB when an XB or Wii U adapter down the road would make up the difference anyway.

And with Tekken 7 even arguably being the best version. More games need to be cross play though so you can buy whichever you want and not worry about future populations.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    Pokken for Switch is real, can't wait for when we get to mod our stuff for Switch!
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • Pablo_the_MexPablo_the_Mex Blond Kanye Status Joined: Posts: 8,156
    Aye, let me get that MAS!

I used to be a whiny bitch about all the new and relatively extraneous threads popping up on this subforum on a near-daily basis.

I dont see the issue
    edited June 7
    Its hard to carry on a conversation when you're the only one in the room. :wink:
    Its hard to carry on a conversation when you're the only one in the room. :wink:

Never stopped me!

Getting so close to done but forcing myself to be as patient as I can with painting it since I know that rushing that in the slightest will not have good results.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • JRDIBBSJRDIBBS Neighborhood Modder Joined: Posts: 444
    Darksakul wrote: »

I dont see the issue

As long as threads have activity it's a good sign users have been beaten to submission by @Darksakul and are finally posting where they need to.

Hello everybody, been lurking for a bit but I'm around. Celebrating my kid's first birthday today drove home how much time I spend in the forum lol.

Summer's starting so I plan on finishing a few paint projects and misc stuff to clean up my bench room so i can make a guest room.

What's your plan this summer?
    I mod so you can play!
    Joysticks, buttons and PCBs, all at paradisearcade.com!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    Kaimana Guru, check out my GitHub for layouts, animations and more!
    Member of the Church of Dremel and the Cult of Hot Glue.
    No mod is finished until you wrangle that wiring!
    JRDIBBS wrote: »
    Darksakul wrote: »

I dont see the issue

As long as threads have activity it's a good sign users have been beaten to submission by @Darksakul and are finally posting where they need to.

Hello everybody, been lurking for a bit but I'm around. Celebrating my kid's first birthday today drove home how much time I spend in the forum lol.

Summer's starting so I plan on finishing a few paint projects and misc stuff to clean up my bench room so i can make a guest room.

What's your plan this summer?

I haven't been beating people down in a long time.
    edited June 9
    Well I didn't lose any fingers in the pursuit of a sweet stick but I nearly died for it. Had the base painting finished today and was going to clear coat it so I could do the electrical (and use it) while finishing the stencils. Sprayed too goopy in spots though (user error most likely) and trying to sand out the goops took too much paint with it so I just repainted it. While packing up the garage for the night the track of the extremely old steel garage door broke on one side and I barely caught it and got the door locked back open. That was fun.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    edited June 12
    https://arcadeshock.com/collections/frontpage/products/hori-hayabusa-silent-optical-joystick

Up for pre-order, ships at the end of July/early August. I'm definitely on the fence about one, but there's a six-pin harness that needs to be wired up, with one lead I believe going to VCC on a UFB board.
    I'm starting to understand how some of you folks have a whole pile of sticks. Already getting ideas for other sticks and wondering if I have enough stuff on hand...
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Rhythmic Button Mashing Joined: Posts: 1,181
    edited June 13
    I'm starting to understand how some of you folks have a whole pile of sticks. Already getting ideas for other sticks and wondering if I have enough stuff on hand...

The most futile words I've said to myself are something along the lines of, "This is going to be the last stick I buy."

...I am guilty of saying that this week and ended up getting a custom case for some extra buttons and sticks I have.
    Post edited by PinoyPryde on
    I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic
    edited June 13
    I can easily say that I am no longer buying any more sticks. Donezo
    Though that doesnt include MAKING anymore sticks...
    PinoyPryde wrote: »

The most futile words I've said to myself are something along the lines of, "This is going to be the last stick I buy."

...I am guilty of saying that this week and ended up getting a custom case for some extra buttons and sticks I have.

You didn't buy any sticks though!
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • PinoyPrydePinoyPryde Rhythmic Button Mashing Joined: Posts: 1,181

Haha, true! However, I did still buy a case to make one and am going to be adding one to my collection.
    I mash buttons and stomp my feet to music

Steam ID/PSN: ArcadeStatic

Haha, true! However, I did still buy a case to make one and am going to be adding one to my collection.

If it helps I'm working on a design for a smaller stick for my kid right now as something of a test bed for the design I've been kicking around in my head today. At least the first one I can feel better about since I already have the free wood and other stuff left over from the one I just built. At least until it's time to buy the parts.
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
    edited June 14
    Once in a while, I come across the TE2+ on either Amazon or eBay. The current prices are typically between 4-500 bucks. That's laugh-out-loud (literally) pricing.

I have tried my friends' TE2's in the past, and while nice, they were IN NO WAY half a grand great. What in the world (other than bankruptcy) could be keeping the price of these models so stupid-HIGH?!
    edited June 14
    did a little bit of digging on Craigslist and found a Tekken 2 arcade cabinet that needs some work done to it. Guy is asking $300 for it, but I gotta figure out how to go and get it and bring it home without screwing over my finances big time.

Edit: Figured I could rent a small uhaul truck @ 150 bucks and spend $100 on gas to go pick it up and haul it back here.
    Post edited by mikeohara on
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,519
    Too many idiots in the trading outlet these days. Most of the trading outlet mods seem MIA too. Guess I'll steer clear of that section for awhile.
    That's the best looking re-use of the mayflash v2 case yet.
    Better than the red FC30 stick for sure...and this one will actually be allowed to be sold in the US.
    edited June 16

I want that NES30 stick now. I am a sucker for classic NES/SNES styling
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830
    Thinking of selling my HRAP Mushihimesama and other rare arcade sticks.
    Maybe @hibachifinal would want the HRAP?
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com