Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0Nobus3r1 ver. 2.0 #RiseUp? Joined: Posts: 5,046
    BolSadguy wrote: »
    Too many idiots in the trading outlet these days. Most of the trading outlet mods seem MIA too. Guess I'll steer clear of that section for awhile.
    Very much so. There are so many people who even post something to the effect of "Here's my stuff and the rules (6 months; 50+ posts) do not apply to me". Very annoying.
    House of Bane
    ID: 8V596
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,636
    jdm714 wrote: »
    Thinking of selling my HRAP Mushihimesama and other rare arcade sticks.
    Maybe @hibachifinal would want the HRAP?

curious, what are those other "rare arcade sticks" :)
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,343
    That's the best looking re-use of the mayflash v2 case yet.

Famicom version was cleaner IMO
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,400
    Got the NES nostalgia personally, I like that color scheme much more.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • hibachifinalhibachifinal 後方互換性 Joined: Posts: 1,636
    too bad. it looks to be based on the same "Mayflash F300" case (smaller, non-metal panel), not the F500/Venom/Joytron Rev V2 which actually gives you a plexi top and a real metal panel.
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,176
    Not sure if anybody noticed, but the Hori Nintendo Switch is available for pre-order on Amazon.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Switch-Arcade-Hayabusa-Officially-Licensed/dp/B01N4P40LG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1498072405&sr=8-1&keywords=hori+switch+arcade+stick

Also saw it on Play-Asia.com, but shipping kills it.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,506
    Not as vital now that Ufb and cerberus work on switch. Thanks to Nintendo's firmware update adding pokken pad support.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,436
    On that note, it's actually kinda nice using the actual Pokken controller on the Switch.
    Playing USF2 or Puyo Puyo Tetris on it is pretty sweet, since the d-pad and the buttons are pretty good. Only downside is no Home button.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    I was happy to put the skills (mostly soldering) that I learned here to use in helping to fix a friends TV.
    House of Bane
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 915
    Would that TV be a flat panel or CRT? If it's the latter, you get two hat tips (for being a daredevil).
    jopamo wrote: »
    Would that TV be a flat panel or CRT? If it's the latter, you get two hat tips (for being a daredevil).
    It was a poorly designed flat panel television. Due to questionable soldering and poor PCB placement the model had a known issue with solder between two of its board cracking. Re-soldered the offending chip and everything was fixed.
    House of Bane
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,830

For anyone in Tech Talk who does raw denim.
    I know that masturfader and I do.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    Anyone here try out a Seimitsu LS-300 yet? I've read that it feels like a JLF, but looks a lot like the LS-32. Does it have the pivot hop like the LS-32? That shit just drives me bonkers.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,084
    Anyone here try out a Seimitsu LS-300 yet? I've read that it feels like a JLF, but looks a lot like the LS-32. Does it have the pivot hop like the LS-32? That shit just drives me bonkers.

I still don't get why the LS-32 is Seimtisu's favorite Joystick.

As for a fix pivot version of the LS-32 I suggest the LS-40
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • platynumxplatynumx Because I have willed it. Joined: Posts: 124

From the focus attack thread
    jmanDMC wrote: »

[*] New LS-32 - it's not called the LS-300. Seimitsu changed that name a while back, and only recently shipped it to all vendors, like this past week. Main difference is the microswitch and PCB housing on new LS-32-01. Seimitsu is switching microswitch partners because they have to, which is why they are short on supply the past few weeks, and why some products are out of stock.

Sounds like same old ls32 with new omron switches.
    edited June 24
    Darksakul wrote: »
    As for a fix pivot version of the LS-32 I suggest the LS-40

Yeah I have a LS-40-01 installed in my Neo Geo themed stick. I love that thing to death.
    I have a LS-32-01 in my Astro City themed stick but I just can't grow to like that stick. I just got the LS-32 for nostalgic authenticity. The stick just sits on a shelf though, so it might be time to swap in a JLF.
    platynumx wrote: »
    Sounds like same old ls32 with new omron switches.

Oh thanks for that. I was going by Arcadeshock and hadn't checked the Focus Attack posts recently.
    I'll be passing on the LS-300 it seems.
    edited June 24
    Edited double post derp. Please carry on.
  • EldritchOnRyeEldritchOnRye Joined: Posts: 89
    edited June 28
    My wife's gift for me for Father's Day finally arrived from Japan! The thing is fucking awesome. It's solid like a tank, and holds every tool I need for my stick and PC work.

0jEDVmV.jpg
    qZK7IHM.jpg

With the bonus of sort of looking like a TARDIS!
    Gummo wrote: »
    Not as vital now that Ufb and cerberus work on switch. Thanks to Nintendo's firmware update adding pokken pad support.

Hyped about this since I just got a Switch recently. Bring on Pokken DX!
    PSN: EldritchOnRye
    SFV, Injustice 2 Soon™
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 35,823 mod
    Well guess what shitty thing happened to me today.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Your camera no longer has exposure compensation?...
    You have a gas leak in your floor?...

WTF is that?!
    Your camera no longer has exposure compensation?...
    You have a gas leak in your floor?...

WTF is that?!

Gutter overflowed and flooded my room.
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    Oh damn. That really sucks! I hope you don't have a PC (or other electronics) on the floor!
    edited June 30
    Man, that sucks. Forget the electronics. The damage to the building is worrysome.
    Time to call some plumbers!
    94d341a1a069c95c6d08984a54ebf6ff.jpg

...too soon? (Sorry) :disappointed:
  • ClandestineClandestine Patiently waiting for CvS3 Joined: Posts: 522
    Food out loud Post

So ran out of vanilla extract this morning making French Toast
    Added Rum extract instead. I was not disappointed.

Next Idea is to add Rum to some maple syrup.

Am scientist. Can confirm that rum makes everything taste better.
    Barntendo, NES left in a barn for years.

Food out loud Post

So ran out of vanilla extract this morning making French Toast
    Added Rum extract instead. I was not disappointed.

Next Idea is to add Rum to some maple syrup.
    When I make granola the wet ingredients are a blend of maple syrup, vanilla extract, vegetable oil and whiskey. Works out pretty well.
    House of Bane
    Ignoring the angry rant portion of this video, there something interesting being mentioned here

Its been revealed that similar devices to the Switch dock made for Cellphones/Mobile devices that do USB C to HDMI Don't work on the Switch.
    Apparently Nintendo went off-spec with the USB C, so that the standard USB C combination hub/HDMI adapters don't work. So some modification to the board wiring and firmware was needed to make a 3rd party USB C HDMI adapter work with the Switch. Apparently one thing that differently out of spec is the power draw requirements from the Switch with HDMI over USB C.

Ignoring the angry rant portion of this video, there something interesting being mentioned here

Its been revealed that similar devices to the Switch dock made for Cellphones/Mobile devices that do USB C to HDMI Don't work on the Switch.
    Apparently Nintendo went off-spec with the USB C, so that the standard USB C combination hub/HDMI adapters don't work. So some modification to the board wiring and firmware was needed to make a 3rd party USB C HDMI adapter work with the Switch. Apparently one thing that differently out of spec is the power draw requirements from the Switch with HDMI over USB C.

This is a dumb rant.

This kind of thing is exactly how manufacturing works in China. A number of companies make these generic electronics that other people can buy and have their branding and packaging attached to said product. There's actually a couple of large trade fairs for this kind of things that take place in the country.
    -Mike_Z

-PersiaXO
    d3v wrote: »

This is a dumb rant.

This kind of thing is exactly how manufacturing works in China. A number of companies make these generic electronics that other people can buy and have their branding and packaging attached to said product. There's actually a couple of large trade fairs for this kind of things that take place in the country.

I just want to focus on the tech side of how the Switch Dock works, I would post something else but the Dock is not well documented.

The Really dumb part is how other people though the Sfans Adaptor is some sort of scam because there a sorta similar product out there.
    Funny is this isn't just a re-branding as there some board modifications required to be made as Nintendo went off spec with USB C. Everything use the same common components anyways, like the Switch shares 90% of its parts with the iPhone.
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,183
    God I hate youtubers that spend 10 minutes to say one sentence.

Cool piece though, can't wait to see all the aftermarket "docks".
    edited July 13
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    God I hate youtubers that spend 10 minutes to say one sentence.

Cool piece though, can't wait to see all the aftermarket "docks".
    Keep in mind Blunty didn't call the device a scam himself, other people called it a scam and he got triggered.

The thing I didn't put up was Blunty did a earlier video where he tested and reviewed the aftermarket "dock".
    Some trolls called it a scam and then the tech news websites all jumped on that bandwagon on without checking their sources.

So I think Blunty has a right to be mad at the negative feedback he got, and that video is him basically him lashing back.
    Should he lash back, if you ask me not like this. He has the fight to defend him self, but he isn't doing any favors to himself giving everyone the finger.

I give Sfans the credit of contacting some electrical engineers and figuring out why the off the shelf USB C to HDMI device don't work with the Switch.
    USB C isn't meant to carry Displayport/HDMI signals as well as high voltage supply (+15 volts). +15 volts 2.1 amps is what the Switch's voltage adapter outputs for when the Switch is in Docked mode.

Turns out there alot of reworking of the boards firmware and some wiring adjustments needed to be made for a aftermarket Switch dock to work.

Here is the original review video

Also at least Sfans seeking official Nintendo Licensing as well.

I personally picked up this
    https://www.amazon.com/BASSTOP-Portable-Nintendo-Replacement-original/dp/B071YVC3NJ/

Its a empty shell to put the official Nintendo Dock PCB inside, it's smaller than the official dock only slightly bigger than the PCB inside, and it reuses the USB C connector from the dock.
    It actually better than similarly priced 3D printed Dock shells, the GOOD 3D printed shells cost upwards of $45 on Shapeways.

I wanted to do some Switch controller testing. I need to pick up a Pokken Controller (it looks like it be good for Neo Geo titles). I even got a decent USB C to USB A adapter (and yes it works great)
    But I really want is to get the Brook PS3/PS4 to Wii U adapter as it works now with the switch.
  • Pr0sk_Pr0sk_ Joined: Posts: 32
    Maybe it is a little out of the subject, but do you guys know if anyone is taking pictures of the different shops and stands and what they look like at Evo ? I'm really curious to see how big it is, what is to sell, this part seems bigger every year. If anyone there has time to take a few pictures, even low quality cellphone pics it would be really appreciated !
    1488536877-twitt.png
  • JRDIBBSJRDIBBS Neighborhood Modder Joined: Posts: 445
    Pr0sk_ wrote: »
    Maybe it is a little out of the subject, but do you guys know if anyone is taking pictures of the different shops and stands and what they look like at Evo ? I'm really curious to see how big it is, what is to sell, this part seems bigger every year. If anyone there has time to take a few pictures, even low quality cellphone pics it would be really appreciated !

Yes, follow @jonyfraze @Vicko and PAS on FB if you have an account.
    I mod so you can play!
    Joysticks, buttons and PCBs, all at paradisearcade.com!
    The Man @ MightyJRMods- PM me for fixes and mods in the USA www.mightyjrmods.com
    Kaimana Guru, check out my GitHub for layouts, animations and more!
    Member of the Church of Dremel and the Cult of Hot Glue.
    No mod is finished until you wrangle that wiring!
  • DubonDubon Joined: Posts: 437
    Is 150€ a good price a used og 360 vlx nowadays? I came across one that looks in good condition. Temped to bite.
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 135
    edited July 16
    Hey guys. I sold a stick to someone in the US shipped from Canada (Insurance + tracking but no signature).
    Package is marked as delivered but my buyer told me he didn't get it, and USPS did the same thing to him last year.

I told him to report it asap to its local post, but what can he do and how can I help him on my side?

Edit: happy ending, the sitck was found.
    Post edited by The_Real_Phoenix on
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,520
    Saw an unusual number of "Get Rekts" on my profile today. Turns out they're all from the same guy in the trading outlet who doesn't wanna follow the rules.

:coffee:
    edited July 16
    Yeah...I'm having a similar issue lately. Except I don't know what his deal is (other than just being a tool with too much free time)
    edited July 16
    Holy shit, @BolSadguy ..it's the same fucking guy! DjDouchey loves tapping that button for ANYTHING he slightly disagrees with.. he must be a riot at parties.
  • BolSadguyBolSadguy Just a Bol of Sadguys Joined: Posts: 1,520
    Hell, most of his posts are just him bumping his own illegal thread. I doubt he even has 50 /actual/ posts.
    The trading outlet badly needs an active moderator who has the authority to just flat out ban people for failing at reading comprehension.
    House of Bane
    edited July 16
    I don't think it's really a lack of reading comprehension, per se.
    It's more like rampant DGAF (Don't give a fuck) Syndrome.

It's amazing how quickly that affliction can be cured with the fear of a possible ban. People suffer from DGAF Syndrome in TO because there are no repercussions for breaking rules. The current environment relegates people like myself and @BolSadguy (et al) to "annoying thread hijacker" status, when we try to set things straight. This ain't our job really, and put us in a precarious position.

I say give @Missing Person his modship. I am pretty sure he'd get things squeaky clean right-quick.
    I don't think it's really a lack of reading comprehension, per se.
    It's more like rampant DGAF (Don't give a fuck) Syndrome.

It's amazing how quickly that affliction can be cured with the fear of a possible ban. People suffer from DGAF Syndrome in TO because there are no repercussions for breaking rules. The current environment relegates people like myself and @BolSadguy (et al) to "annoying thread hijacker" status, when we try to set things straight. This ain't our job really, and put us in a precarious position.

I say give @Missing Person his modship. I am pretty sure he'd get things squeaky clean right-quick.
    Whoever it is TO needs moderation of some sort. It's actually a shame that SRK has cut out so many features to reduce trolling (i.e. oversized fonts, colored fonts, etc.) when they'd be really useful in this sort of situation.

Like if someone clicked on a sale thread that was made by an individual who was ignoring the rules and the first thing they saw was:
    "THIS PERSON IS IGNORING THE RULES OF THE SRK TRADING OUTLET. BUY FROM THEM AT YOUR OWN RISK" (size 48 bold text and bright red)

The message that the rules are there for a reason might get across to some of these asshats.
    House of Bane
  • LittleJimmy1983LittleJimmy1983 Macho Madness Joined: Posts: 909
    First, To use the trading outlet (sell or trade) you have to be with the site for at least 6 months, and have 50 posts. Failure to meet the requirement will result in a infraction or ban. Buyers may be new users but they are required to send payment FIRST.
    6 months isn't very long but some people are probably just joining the forums for the specific purpose of using the trading outlet and don't have the patience to wait that long. Technically 50 posts could be 1 character long posts 50 times.
    ABACABB.
    First, To use the trading outlet (sell or trade) you have to be with the site for at least 6 months, and have 50 posts. Failure to meet the requirement will result in a infraction or ban. Buyers may be new users but they are required to send payment FIRST.
    6 months isn't very long but some people are probably just joining the forums for the specific purpose of using the trading outlet and don't have the patience to wait that long. Technically 50 posts could be 1 character long posts 50 times.
    The part that I bolded (i.e. spamming to get to the minimum post count) would, if I had my way, result in an auto-ban.
    House of Bane