Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• MoonchildeMoonchilde Resident tech talk double poster Joined: Posts: 4,836
    Nice post. Never been a sneaker guy myself.

You should be maining Guy with all that sneaker love :)
  • ExtremeYoshiFanExtremeYoshiFan Joined: Posts: 1,179
    MarkMan wrote: »
    I know some of you guys like sneakers too. I did a blog post on my personal site (lol if you get the title), check it out and let me know what you think!

http://arcadestick.wordpress.com/2014/04/27/2014-first-quarter-review-sneaker-pick-ups/

NOTE: WARNING, I am old.

This might seem like a really stupid question, but I have to ask because I don't actually know. Do you buy these to wear them, or are they displayed in some sort of collector's case?
    Now I'm picturing MarkMan's house to have walls of glass with arcade sticks and sneakers behind them.
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod

This might seem like a really stupid question, but I have to ask because I don't actually know. Do you buy these to wear them, or are they displayed in some sort of collector's case?

I buy them with the intentions of wearing them. That's why sometimes I buy 2 or more pairs depending on how much I like them. So I have one to 'rock' and one to stock for a rainy day. :)

But there's no way I'd not wear my sneakers. They're fun.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 22,836
    Relax @Markman both myself and Ducky is about a year older than you.

So if anyone going to be making fun of you being old, you are not alone.
    "You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance."
  • armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,826
    Darksakul wrote: »

So am I on dinosaur status?
    This was the sneaker when I graduated
    1993nikeairforcemax_466413.jpg

And it was worn by one of the stars of the team that lost the NBA Championships.
    www.paradisearcadeshop.com Sanwa, Seimitsu and a ton of custom parts
    2015 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, OBS-MX buttons
    2014 Tech Talk Stick Mod of the Year, LVT3 TE2
    2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller
    edited April 2014
    armi0024 wrote: »

So am I on dinosaur status?
    This was the sneaker when I graduated
    http://cdnl.complex.com/mp/620/400/80/0/bb/1/ffffff/a1de811f4e1080e155e52596c0d0de50/images_/assets/CHANNEL_IMAGES/SNEAKERS/2013/02/the-20-best-sneakers-of-1993/1993nikeairforcemax_466413.jpg[

And it was worn by one of the stars of the team that lost the NBA Championships.
    I don't know your age, so I can't answer that.

I do know of people in here who is in there 40s.
  • MarkManMarkMan BRAND & COMMUNITY ADVISOR FOR TEKKEN | EVO BIZ DEV | ? ? ? Joined: Posts: 5,164 mod
    Air Force Max! Charles Barkley! 93/94 NBA season? Good times.
  • armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,826
    Ok Mark, you scare me :)

Dark, I'm not 40, but I do know of one 48 year old in here :)
    2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller
    armi0024 wrote: »
    Ok Mark, you scare me :)

Dark, I'm not 40, but I do know of one 48 year old in here :)

I Didn't say your 40, I forgot who that was now they are born in 1972 according to them
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified A man behind a desk Joined: Posts: 3,044
    i don't think i have claim to youngest in tech talk anymore. that was a long time ago when me and nerrage were fighting for it.
    i'm sure new young'uns have come to replace me
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,474
    I think I'm pretty average in terms of the age-group here. Low-30s.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    So I can now add "getting blown up" to the list of crazy shit that's happened to me.

I was replacing various peripherals at a retail store today when a surge protector exploded in my face. I'm fine (I reacted pretty damn quickly it seems, dodging the blast by falling backwards as it happened) but my beard still smells like smoke. I've also worked for thirty hours straight, but that's less crazy and more plain stupid.

Oh, check this... the explosion disintegrated the grounding lead on the thing that I was plugging into it:

10178041_10101170496926636_2414351117590457892_n.jpg

The idea of what that thing could have done to my face if I was two or three inches closer rattled me pretty good.

Oddly enough, considering it shot crap everywhere, the surge protector itself looked pretty tame...

10177372_10101170497021446_9152580887920778972_n.jpg
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

edited May 2014
    @DaRabidDuckie‌ You need some bullet proof glass over the good eye... seriously :)

Did it sneak up on your right side or something? BE CAREFUL BRAH!
    Let's just say I was doing something that on hind sight was really, really stupid. Sparks flew, and I couldn't see afterwards. I was totally freaked out, I was blind and deaf a good 5 minutes.

Everything came back but man that was the scariest shit, I've read about people losing their sight and hearing with explosives going off near them simply from the flash and sound. Thankfully I still see perfectly and I can still hear perfectly (I have really good high frequency hearing and it has never went away even after the explosion) so no worry I guess.

When I was a kid I was putting two extension cords together and accidentally got my finger caught between the connectors in both. Felt a slight numbing and pull it apart. Surprised I am not dead and that wasn't worse.

I've also had that same happen when I was working on a CRT and my hand would sometimes brush against the live solder points. Not pleasant and you get that numb feeling for a second as you pull your hand away.

I'm really surprised I'm not dead, lol. Still, learn from your mistakes. Stuff that I won't ever do again. I guess we're lucky @DaRabidDuckie‌.
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,477
    Sigh. I was really hoping to avoid running into show stopping issues with this next product. Now I need to find out if it's a material choice issue, or because the part was a prototype and weaker than it would be in production.

Either way.. it's not easy or cheap to stress test.
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
    Nooooooo
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    So I can now add "getting blown up" to the list of crazy shit that's happened to me.

They say what doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Duckie, how is your super strength coming along? Can you bench press a bus yet, or are you only up to a small station wagon filled with children?
  • Capn SpankyCapn Spanky Bullet Billpocalypse Joined: Posts: 1,795
    I designed and 3D printed a housing for an inductive charger. When the group I made it for saw it, they realized they hadn't planned for all the features they wanted. All this to say, we're going to Dremel it until all the components fit.
    undamned wrote: »
    Someone needs to make SRKTT shirts with Christopher Walken holding a dremel saying "Babies,... I gotta have more dremel!"
    -ud
    I'm sure TOG would do a short run of nice silk screens

So I just ordered the new HORI HRAP V4.
    Real question is will I like Kuro buttons or am I going to swap them out.
  • NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,346
    So I just ordered the new HORI HRAP V4.
    Real question is will I like Kuro buttons or am I going to swap them out.

The plungers stand high similar to Seimitsu and they are more sensitive like Sanwa. Not bad buttons IMO.

The Kuros just need to be broken in.
    The plungers will squeak and "catch" the inner surface of the rims for a while.

Mind you, I haven't used mine enough to get it past the "breaking in" phase, so what do I know. :)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
  • mr.mortifiedmr.mortified A man behind a desk Joined: Posts: 3,044
    i swear if they made the plastic for the kuro's rim a lot thicker and harder it would be a lot better. you'd have to literally shave the button hole so it doesn't catch since it pinches the plastic causing it to get caught
    follow me on twitter @mr_mortified
    I need dat twitter PSR
    edited May 2014
    Well I get a authentic Hori Rap shortly with Kuros pre-installed.
    I will pass judgement then.

Funny thing is this is the first legit commercial arcade stick I am buying new and not used and/or in a state of disrepair.
    And I bought the NEO GEO X GOLD controller new (what a POS that thing is when a broken AES controller from the 90's was the better controller)

Since S.H.E.I.L.D. is infiltrated by Hydra I should burn this, and not post this online
    shieldID_zps88e8ff45.png
    I notice we don't have a Jamma related thread, arcade cabs, Test Rigs, Super Guns and Consolization ect...
  • undamnedundamned Wake up! Time to die! Joined: Posts: 1,686
    I notice we don't have a Jamma related thread, arcade cabs, Test Rigs, Super Guns and Consolization ect...
    We have arcade cab thread, but general JAMMA thread could be cool.
    -ud

• NENDONENDO I will meditate and then destroy you. Joined: Posts: 3,346
    -ud

I agree. People have been saying that there isn't enough arcade stuff in TT.

• d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,368 mod
    Starting to slowly republish some of my older stuff on the new site.

First up, the builder feature with @b15sdm‌ and and MvC2 custom stick from @spenzalii‌ who's art I did.

http://d3vlicious.com/2014/05/04/d3vlicious-builder-feature-b15sdm/

http://d3vlicious.com/2014/05/04/berserker-barrage-mvc2-wolverine-custom/
    You can't ask for well-thought-out changes off day 1, week 1, or mostly even month 1 play...and that's when the game is out and everyone's in the lab.
    -Mike_Z

If there's anything we do best, it's breaking games and then making everyone suffer with all the cheapness.
    -PersiaXO
    @d3v Would be cool if this got some attention

To others, great kickstarter for a movie on Women in gaming.
    https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1198903728/no-princess-in-the-castle-women-who-game
    -ud
    iNENDOi wrote: »
    Yeah. We have an Arcade cabinet thread, and a Supergun thread, but nothing generic JAMMA.
    Considering I've been more into arcade/JAMMA stuff in the past 6 months than arcade sticks, I'd definitely be game for a thread like that.

Looking for:
    Where is the cabinet thread?
    IMHO JAMMA covers cabinets and superguns. Maybe I am over simplifying but superguns always just seemed like a mini portable cabinet without a monitor.

I like the idea of a JAMMA thread though
    -ud
    iNENDOi wrote: »
    Yeah. We have an Arcade cabinet thread, and a Supergun thread, but nothing generic JAMMA.
    Considering I've been more into arcade/JAMMA stuff in the past 6 months than arcade sticks, I'd definitely be game for a thread like that.

@armi0024‌
    Arcade cabinet thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/96822/the-official-post-your-arcade-cabinet-thread/p1
    Supergun thread: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/187730/the-check-out-my-supergun-thread/p1

You're not incorrect on the Supergun analogy; as a very high-level explanation, it's essentially a big-ass converter for JAMMA to standardized power, audio-video and/or controls.
    And you're also right on JAMMA essentially covering arcade cabinets and Superguns, but not necessarily: for example, a MAME or X360/PS3 cabinet has nothing to do with JAMMA.

But a separate JAMMA thread could cover things not covered in the Arcade cabinet and Supergun threads: for example, standalone JAMMA boards, consolization, general arcade A/V conversion stuff, etc...

Looking for: