Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,523
    edited October 15
    My wife said Im not allowed to solder or dremel with him in a baby backpack. Idk why. We have baby ear muffs, we just need to buy baby eye protection.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,823
    Gummo wrote: »
    My wife said Im not allowed to solder or dremel with him in a baby backpack. Idk why. We have baby ear muffs, we just need to buy baby eye protection.

You can make that with a dremel too
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
    We have a lack of Food related post lately

Not that I did anything, but I discovered a You Tube thread where I can get ideas in the future

LGR Foods
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCz9uUFDhsPYii-ZihoKsbPg/videos

• FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    I saw a post on Instagram about the Analogue Super Nt.
    Color me intrigued.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,844
    Color me intrigued.

Didn't I call this a couple of months ago? Holy shit, Senpai noticed me!
    I'm honestly surprised a SNES version of the Analogue NT hasn't emerged yet.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • LLeg3ndLLeg3nd Always Eating Joined: Posts: 270
    Color me intrigued.

They have some videos up on youtube with audio quality samples.
    twitch.tv/lleg3nd
    Preorders are already up.
    https://www.analogue.co/pages/store/
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    Bah, I'm having trouble deciding whether or not to preorder the Super Nt.
    It's well-priced but not cheap ($190 + ~$30 shipping = $220USD = ~$275CDN), and I'm just afraid of picking it up and not using it much.
    I mean, I have enough trouble finding time to play modern video games as-is already.

Looking for:
    It's well-priced but not cheap ($190 + ~$30 shipping = $220USD = ~$275CDN), and I'm just afraid of picking it up and not using it much.
    I mean, I have enough trouble finding time to play modern video games as-is already.

I know what you mean. I also got a perfectly working SNES II that been RGB modded and the cart slot modded to allow for imports.
    But that Transparent Super NT looks sweet.
    Darksakul wrote: »

I know what you mean. I also got a perfectly working SNES II that been RGB modded and the cart slot modded to allow for imports.

Agreed. I'm pretty much in the same boat: I have my old unmodded SNES from my childhood, an SNES Mini that'll soon be modded for RGB, and an SNES Classic Edition.
    Do I really need the Super Nt? Probably not, but it's badass as-is.
    A colleague of mine preordered the clear one; I'm tempted by either the clear or the black one.

Looking for:
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 36,981 mod
    edited October 18
    We have a lack of Food related post lately

Stuff from my IG.

Should keep us fed up for awhile.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,017

Agreed. I'm pretty much in the same boat: I have my old unmodded SNES from my childhood, an SNES Mini that'll soon be modded for RGB, and an SNES Classic Edition.
    A colleague of mine preordered the clear one; I'm tempted by either the clear or the black one.

I would have been more tempted if they had cannibalised snes consoles and made it like the nes aluminium one or even a 2 in 1

But fpga, is that not emulating the hardware of the snes? So emulation is more accurate, is it r really 100% like for like though?
    anzhar wrote: »

I would have been more tempted if they had cannibalised snes consoles and made it like the nes aluminium one or even a 2 in 1

But fpga, is that not emulating the hardware of the snes? So emulation is more accurate, is it r really 100% like for like though?

I'm not such a big fan of the cannibalizing of parts from vintage consoles, but I think that's a personal thing.

I guess this can technically be considered emulation of some sort, as you can say that anything that's pretending to be original hardware is "emulation".
    But since this is rigged up to behave, in hardware, like the original hardware and interact with cartridges the same way as the original hardware, it's definitely a big step in the "real hardware" direction when compared to any other form of emulated SNES (Retron consoles or any RPi boxes).

Looking for:

I'm not such a big fan of the cannibalizing of parts from vintage consoles, but I think that's a personal thing.

I guess this can technically be considered emulation of some sort, as you can say that anything that's pretending to be original hardware is "emulation".
    But since this is rigged up to behave, in hardware, like the original hardware and interact with cartridges the same way as the original hardware, it's definitely a big step in the "real hardware" direction when compared to any other form of emulated SNES (Retron consoles or any RPi boxes).

I think the way the FPGA works, is the FPGA hardware is program to mimic the actual SNES hardware down to the clock cycles and the I/O to be as close as you can be to the original.

I think the way the FPGA works, is the FPGA hardware is program to mimic the actual SNES hardware down to the clock cycles and the I/O to be as close as you can be to the original.
    Right. That's my understanding as well.

So while it's not running the original hardware, it's running what's I'm essentially considering a redesign of the original hardware.
    Some might argue that that by definition means it's emulation, but the fact that this is done in hardware, and that it interfaces with the cartridges properly (ie, running them straight up like the original console, rather than dumping the cart as a ROM and running it purely in software like the Retron consoles) is good enough for me.

Looking for:

Right. That's my understanding as well.

So while it's not running the original hardware, it's running what's I'm essentially considering a redesign of the original hardware.
    Some might argue that that by definition means it's emulation, but the fact that this is done in hardware, and that it interfaces with the cartridges properly (ie, running them straight up like the original console, rather than dumping the cart as a ROM and running it purely in software like the Retron consoles) is good enough for me.

It's like two steps away from taking a broken console, and transplanting the CPU and PPU and audio processor onto a new board with new transistors, diodes and capacitors.
    But you are doing it with all new parts instead and getting same or similar results.

Also the Retron isn't that good at Emulation.
    If you want a really good accurate emulation, get Higain. Its resource intensive, but there few out there that emulates SNES games accurately.
    The Maker of Higain made BSNES first, but BSNES could put high end gaming PCs on it's knees. Higain has a better balance of accuracy and performance.

• jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,252
    edited October 20
    Look what’s available up on Amazon and Arcadeshock

818bvltasdL._AC_.jpg

So...portable, has on-board speakers and has a leatherette cover.
    12V power adapter and HDMI cable are included too. Ok. Cool.

But the resolution is only 1366x768? In 2017.
    Seriously?
    Post edited by jopamo on
    jopamo wrote: »
    Look what’s available up on Amazon and Arcadeshock!

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/818bvltasdL._AC_.jpg

So...portable, has on-board speakers and a leatherette cover.
    Uses an included 12V power adapter. Ok.

But the resolution is only 1366x768? Seriously?
    I want, but ulgh, too pricey for me right now.

Looking for:
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,844
    That's too much for the resolution. I'd rather get one of those Gaemz portables.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    So I didn't know why Analogue didn't advertise it, the Super NT, the SNES FPGA that Analogue is doing is done by Kevtris, the same guy who did the HiDef NES HDMI board and the NT Mini FPGA NES.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,017
    Maybe they don't wanna make people aware of the other products...

Although this is a niche market, I'm sure 99% of the potential customers will be aware of Kevtris' work
    So for the first time since 2013, EVO next year doesn't fall on the same weekend as another convention that I go to each year (TFCon Toronto; been going every year since 2006).

Problem is, I still don't think I can go to EVO next year. :(

Looking for:
  • sasquachsasquach Joined: Posts: 369
    "I'm just nice" -Harry Potter
    Even on your day off, you can still be productive...
    yL5w5hwl.jpg
    5Dh2zFXl.jpg
    Are you sun tanning your saturn?
    LOL. Nope. de-yellowing.

It worked great!
  • ed1371ed1371 Yogahh Joined: Posts: 1,526
    LOL. Nope. de-yellowing.

It worked great!

watched a lot of how-to vids and they always encased them in a clear bag with peroxide cream ... did you do it differently?
    why crimp when you can solder??

PSN: Nippage
    Is it weird that, up until right before Mad Catz declared bankruptcy, I never cared to own any TE, VS or TE2 (though I've always had soft spot for the SE/TvC/Brawlstick/KE casing); but now that Mad Catz sticks are not readily available anymore, I want a couple for projects?...

Looking for:
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 275 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited October 30
    So for the first time since 2013, EVO next year doesn't fall on the same weekend as another convention that I go to each year (TFCon Toronto; been going every year since 2006).

Dude, you could have my situation in that I have asked to go to EVO every single year that my wife and I have been together (and since married). I've been told no every year since 2007 about making the trek because of one thing or another coming up. Fuck that, my ass is gonna be at EVO this next year if I have to hitchhike across the country to do it.
    Is it weird that, up until right before Mad Catz declared bankruptcy, I never cared to own any TE, VS or TE2 (though I've always had soft spot for the SE/TvC/Brawlstick/KE casing); but now that Mad Catz sticks are not readily available anymore, I want a couple for projects?...

Psst....
    You looking for an unopened VS?.....
    mikeohara wrote: »

Dude, you could have my situation in that I have asked to go to EVO every single year that my wife and I have been together (and since married). I've been told no every year since 2007 about making the trek because of one thing or another coming up. Fuck that, my ass is gonna be at EVO this next year if I have to hitchhike across the country to do it.
    Nice, I'm rooting for you!
    The first/only/last time I went to EVO was 2013. My wife has always been supportive of me going, and she didn't even go with me that one time.
    I've been wanting to go again, but every year since (2014-2017), EVO has fallen on the same weekend as TFCon Toronto, and I've been going that THAT one every year for the past 11 years. It's closer, cheaper, and I have a longer-standing rapport with people there, so it's generally a no-brainer as to which event to hit up.

The thing is, EVO is the kind of event that I go with my brother (we went together in 2013) because he's essentially my sparring partner/rival in fighting games. The problem is, EVO 2018 will be a few months after he gets his new house, and about a month before his wedding. So there's no way he'll be able to justify going. Which essentially means that I won't go either. :\

Looking for:
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,188
    mikeohara wrote: »

Nice, I'm rooting for you!
    The first/only/last time I went to EVO was 2013. My wife has always been supportive of me going, and she didn't even go with me that one time.
    I've been wanting to go again, but every year since (2014-2017), EVO has fallen on the same weekend as TFCon Toronto, and I've been going that THAT one every year for the past 11 years. It's closer, cheaper, and I have a longer-standing rapport with people there, so it's generally a no-brainer as to which event to hit up.

The thing is, EVO is the kind of event that I go with my brother (we went together in 2013) because he's essentially my sparring partner/rival in fighting games. The problem is, EVO 2018 will be a few months after he gets his new house, and about a month before his wedding. So there's no way he'll be able to justify going. Which essentially means that I won't go either. :\

Bachelor Party in Vegas.
    Find me at A&C Games in Toronto Mondays and Wednesdays

Looks like EVO is officially out for me next year, CEO though is looking really promising. Oh well, it’s still a major.
    edited October 31
    “Marriage is about compromise” (or some flakey BS like that)

I’m just glad that EVO is still being held in the US. When I heard it was initially Japan this year and mentioned the trip prospect to my wife—I got folded arms and a slow head shake.

A 45 minute flight (and time for her to go off and gamble) is a much easier pill to swallow...
    “Marriage is about compromise” (or some flakey BS like that)

I’m just glad that EVO is still being held in the US. When I heard it was initially Japan this year and mentioned the trip prospect to my wife—I got folded arms and a slow head shake.

A 45 minute flight (and time for her to go off and gamble) is a much easier pill to swallow...

That it is indeed. It doesn't help that I have anxiety and mental stuff too; and Vegas would probably be too much for me on my own. Shit would be straight outta The Hangover if I went; even though I'd have friends who would go. CEO is 12 hours by car for us; and the potential of going to the beach with our 4-year old grandson I think sealed the deal for her (and she and him can visit the beach while I'm playing in pools or visiting the arcade on-site or blowing money on stuff).
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 864
    I am so glad my wife loves going to EVO just as much as I do.
    My girlfriend plans shit around Evo since we first went in 2016. We've had nothing but fun there, and I am always looking forward to the next one.
    edited November 1
    M20hSmTl.jpg

I bit the bullet and finally ordered one of these things. I hope it’s all it’s cracked up to be. :fearful: