Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition Season V

Comments

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,900
    edited November 1
    jopamo wrote: »
    https://i.imgur.com/M20hSmTl.jpg

I bit the bullet and finally ordered one of these things. I hope it’s all it’s cracked up to be. :fearful:

Mine should be coming in today according to tracking
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,522
    Lucky. I kind of want an OSSC. A colleague of mine has one, and he uses it for his RGB-compatible SNES. Though he already has a Super Nt preordered, so he's not even sure how much use his OSSC will go through once the Super Nt.

But part of me feels like getting an OSSC is falling in the same bucket as my dilemma as to whether or not to preorder a Super Nt myself: I'm just not sure if I'm going to use it much. And for the cost, I'd better be using it quite a bit. :)
    I'm having a hard enough time finding time to game as it is already, and when I do, I'm trying to tackle my huge backlog of modern(-ish) JRPGs rather than go back and replay retro games.
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,268
    edited November 2
    Well my Saturn and Dreamcast output looks like shit on my 4K display. Hopefully cranking things to 1200p and 960p respectively will help things a bit.

Whether I too have any time these days to play is another discussion entirely ;-)

EDIT: I just received notification that my OSSC has shipped!
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 278 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    so, CEO is gonna be a thing next year for me. I'm looking forward to it quite a bit; first time out of state for a tournament too!
    got my new arcade stick on it's way. I had posted in the VLX thread that I was looking at buying a PS3 VLX; but the Obsidian was going for 170 plus shipping at Arcadeshock and I had to snag it.
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,018
    Nice stick & price, and better compatibility

but an og VLX is an og VLX
    anzhar wrote: »
    Nice stick & price, and better compatibility

but an og VLX is an og VLX

This is true; I'll keep an eye out for another one and get it someday. The money simply wasn't there to make it happen.
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,832
    jdm714 wrote: »

For anyone in Tech Talk who does raw denim.
    I know that masturfader and I do.

An update to the Naked & Famous x Street Fighter 2 collaboration.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,018
    OMG!

JDM!!!

special halloween appearance from his ghost

good to see your name brother 07
    it is; indeed a Christmas miracle to see a post from @jdm714

I feel ... blessed almost.

We missed ya
  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,004 mod

I MISSED YOU JAMESJAMES!!!!
    spent a good 90 minutes so far with my Obsidian ... it's really nice (just gotta get used to playing on stick again is all).
  • The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 201
    edited November 9
    How not to dremel a USB port

• GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,523
    Had a quick interview at O'Connor Brewery today. I think it went well. Entry level position, but will gladly take it if given the offer.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    Gummo wrote: »
    Had a quick interview at O'Connor Brewery today. I think it went well. Entry level position, but will gladly take it if given the offer.

That's good news. Right now I'm working 7 days a week pretty much to make sure everything goes off well for my PC upgrade plus saving for the CEO trip. I'm using Mrs. Mike's PC parts to power my system until I can get her some new PC stuff (a new PSU and a new case is very high up on the list). When I'm not working from home in my primary job, I'm in Dallas driving my secondary job for one of the multiple rideshare companies I work for.
    Looks awesome as a portable all-in-one unit. I wanna try my hand at something like that at some point in time.
    My only gripe is the top-visible screw-heads for the joysticks. :)
    But at least they're countersunk.
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    Looks awesome as a portable all-in-one unit. I wanna try my hand at something like that at some point in time.
    My only gripe is the top-visible screw-heads for the joysticks. :)
    But at least they're countersunk.

Thanks.
    Yes this is because the MDF plank I used was too thick. I originaly intended to have a similar fixation system as some arcades or Madcatz sticks panel, something like pop rivets holding the fixation and then hide those rivet with woodfiler, but I couldn't came up a good solution without adding even more thickness and ending with a ridiculous size for the shaft. Even like this this is ok but not fantastic. Wish I could have a router for those kind of work on the wood (for the buttons I did it in two times with two differents size of forstner).
    I'll eventually make an other one after the winter, but smaller. I'm planning on using two different thickness next time.
    edited November 12
    My wife asked me during lunch out today “hey, is it ok for us to order a GlowForge? I want one really bad.”

I almost fell out of my chair. We order on Monday.

Time to start designing some enclosures and control panel overlays. I already have a Silhouette Cameo.

Now how do I ask her for a 3D printer?...
    My wife asked me during lunch out today “hey, is it ok for us to order a GlowForge? I want one really bad.”

I almost fell out of my chair. We order on Monday.

Time to start designing some enclosures and control panel overlays. I already have a Silhouette Cameo.

Now how do I ask her for a 3D printer?...

Regarding the 3D Printer ... is that something that she's interested in too? The Glowforge looks dope; and you could probably ask for a 3D printer on top of it dependent on it's price.
    I’m sure she’d make use of a 3D printer. I’ve been waiting for more SLA printers come to market in order to see costs drop. Might have to wait a bit longer after dropping over 4 big ones on the glowforge
    Seriously. I just looked it up; the GlowForge looks awesome.
    Also saw the price; I don't think I could ever justify it.

Though I've been tempted by some of the lower-end/cheaper hobby 3D printers, and my wife actually seems to be on board with it...

Looking for:
    edited November 12
    I’m sure she’d make use of a 3D printer. I’ve been waiting for more SLA printers come to market in order to see costs drop. Might have to wait a bit longer after dropping over 4 big ones on the glowforge

Dang I'm jelly.
    Well, my 3D printer cost me 350$. Downside is you have to build it yourself. So if you can buy a Glowforge, I don't see why you couldn't spen 1/10th of the price for a 3D printer...
    edited November 12
    After doing some more research I’m hitting the brakes on the glowforge. They want my $4K NOW, but will ship IN JUNE?
    AWSU2j5.jpg

Yeah...no. Not willing to do that.
    I can image the call to the credit card company in case the company derps on us in summer. Trying to request a chargeback on a 6 month-old four thousand dollar purchase will be great fun. /s

Opportunity knocks for a 3D printer now though ;-)
    Not sure if I should just bite the bullet, dump the SLA idea, and sell her on a nice FDM printer.
    Post edited by jopamo on
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,852
    Definitely need to be on the hunt for some knockoff Wii Classic Controllers that are common ground for padhacking purposes now.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Definitely need to be on the hunt for some knockoff Wii Classic Controllers that are common ground for padhacking purposes now.
    I hear ya.

I was building sticks back in 2006-2007, my sticks were always modular with project boxes. I had recently (a year or two ago), decommissioned all the project boxes, and most of the PCBs were sitting in a bin somewhere. I have 2 common-ground Intec Retro Controller PCB for Wii in there, which I didn't know what to do with at the time. I believe my brother has the same 2 as well (somewhere). I guess now I know what I'm using them for. :)

Looking for:
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,852
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    Go home, Amazon...you’re drunk.
    That game pad is screaming "KILL ME"
  • ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 865
    Darksakul wrote: »
    That game pad is screaming "KILL ME"
  • Jamin3131Jamin3131 Modding Enthusiast Joined: Posts: 1,189
    I had a PiiWii that I can no longer seem to find. searched all my tings and its nowhere to be found. I might have sold it in a mod at some point, but for the life of me cant think who I might have sold it to

When you try to find a Illuminated tact switch someone online for what should be a very minor PC case mod,
    No one has the flipping right size and type Tact switch with an embedded LED in it's front other than Alibaba and eBay.

And the smallest quantity you can fin it in is a bulk of 20
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/20-pcs-Tact-Switch-with-Red-LED-Illuminated-Momentary-Small-Push-Button/172640813621?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

Guess I am not ether doing the mod or I am buying 20 switches

I cave in and got the switches.

Yes I could try to swap the LED out of the existing switch I am trying to replace, but I also didn't want to break the only switch I got.
    edited November 22
    I’m considering selling my black modded Sega Dreamcast (GDEMU/batt. holder/Noctua fan upgrade) to make way for one of THESE.

Does anyone here have any experience with these Omega MVS systems?
  • LLeg3ndLLeg3nd Always Eating Joined: Posts: 278
    I’m considering selling my black modded Sega Dreamcast (GDEMU/batt. holder/Noctua fan upgrade) to make way for one of THESE.

Does anyone here have any experience with these Omega MVS systems?

Oh man, I saw your dreamcast on instagram and I would be interested in the DC more specifically the GDEMU if you were to sell it.

Now you also got me intrigued by this Omega MVS system.
    twitch.tv/lleg3nd
    On the flipside, I'm considering selling my consolized Sega Naomi bundle (with RPi bootloader, and USB inputs with UD-USBs) in favor of getting a GDEMU for a Dreamcast...

Looking for:
    edited November 22
    Thanks. While I know that Deunan’s products are in demand (I’m pissed I just missed the Saturn Phoebe order), that GDEMU is going to be sold in that DC. I modded the PSU to remove the gd-rom sucking 12V (to reduce heat). Putting an optical drive back in that bad boy won’t work.