Would you kill a man?
    Did you get that from this Family Guy Episode

What would you do for a GDEMU?

Also
    BsXMrgdCMAEoo4s.jpg

So If Jesus would, Sure.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,874
    Am I a cheapass for trying to hunt down male SNES controller connectors for a project I'm working on, or becoming that obsessive of a modder that I can do it all by myself if I have the parts?

Or am I just being that guy who wants conserve on good controllers and extension cables?
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
  • mikeoharamikeohara Old Man Hands Joined: Posts: 290 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited November 24
    dunno if there are any fans of Major Lazer here, but their documentary surrounding their Havana, Cuba show Give Me Future is on Apple Music to view free now. It was pretty dope to watch, and I'm strongly considering buying the album based off of multiple streaming listens of the album.

If you don't have Apple Music, the album is also available to stream via Spotify.
  • DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 24,279
    Am I a cheapass for trying to hunt down male SNES controller connectors for a project I'm working on, or becoming that obsessive of a modder that I can do it all by myself if I have the parts?

Or am I just being that guy who wants conserve on good controllers and extension cables?

I just get cheap SNES exnestion cables on Amazon
  • anzharanzhar five times Joined: Posts: 1,022
    They are asking for $200 for a sf4 se stick with a neo geo art lamilabel, sadly they will get some suckers who will bite
    anzhar wrote: »
    They are asking for $200 for a sf4 se stick with a neo geo art lamilabel, sadly they will get some suckers who will bite

As I said to someone else about the TE on Facebook, i would pay at the most $50 for a last gen Mad Catz stick.
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Quickly becoming the Sailor Moon S guy. Joined: Posts: 13,874
    Darksakul wrote: »

Yeah, I'm drawing blanks on finding any connectors, so that's probably gonna be my route, unless somehow Toronto local game stores sell them cheaper.

At some of the prices I've seen on Amazon.ca ($15+shipping for a small DPDT HA HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHA no), I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Basically just trying to see what the cheapest route altogether is: getting some microcontrollers + inverters + extension cables + bread board to make my own controller easily to connect to UD-USBs, or just getting a cheap chinese knock-off SNES pad.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    anzhar wrote: »

As I said to someone else about the TE on Facebook, i would pay at the most $50 for a last gen Mad Catz stick.

I would pay a little more for a comic con or fem fat, and maybe the Namco tekken hybrid

Yeah, I'm drawing blanks on finding any connectors, so that's probably gonna be my route, unless somehow Toronto local game stores sell them cheaper.

At some of the prices I've seen on Amazon.ca ($15+shipping for a small DPDT HA HAHA HAHAHA HAHAHAHA no), I wouldn't be surprised if they did.

Basically just trying to see what the cheapest route altogether is: getting some microcontrollers + inverters + extension cables + bread board to make my own controller easily to connect to UD-USBs, or just getting a cheap chinese knock-off SNES pad.

I forgot the brand now, they are a cheap knock off cable, but the connectors are snap together clam shells perfect for projects

Oh wait, I found the cables on my Amazon order history
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005WMIR4C/
    That specific brand isn't even available on Amazon.ca, and comparable is double the price.

Le sigh.

I'll just see how much A&C is selling their knock-off SNES pads for.
    That specific brand isn't even available on Amazon.ca, and comparable is double the price.

Le sigh.

I'll just see how much A&C is selling their knock-off SNES pads for.

That bites
    edited November 30
    Made a custom Audio only pigtail for my Game Cube. It's a connector from a cheap snes scart cable and some radio snack brand audio splitters that got cannibalized.
    If you are asking but where the video, I got a game cube component cable. The Pig tails also help with connecting my Game Cube audio to my OSSC, which uses 3.5mm stereo TRS Jack instead of RCA.

4OC8txk.jpg
    A used game store from Hamilton is bringing a pack of 4 disrepaired SNES pads to me at our monthly. We're in there, gonna be good to go on decoder fodder!
    A used game store from Hamilton is bringing a pack of 4 disrepaired SNES pads to me at our monthly. We're in there, gonna be good to go on decoder fodder!

NICE
    DSC_0370.jpg

First of two UD-USB decoders wired for SNES/SFC. Once both are done, it's a matter of casing them before Wednesday.

First one connected to a padhacked FC Twin.
  • thelordlonewolfthelordlonewolf Joined: Posts: 25
    edited December 6
    edit: sorry wrong thread.
    rrNciR4.jpg

And #2 done. All ready for tomorrow night.

Going to do #3 & #4 a little later.
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,534
    In NYC for a bit (staying in Long Island City, but heading into Manhattan all the time).
    Any recommendations of good sit-down places to eat (hopefully not too pricey) around the Times Square or Rockefeller area?
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
  • jopamojopamo Stuck in Silly-con Valley Joined: Posts: 1,307
    edited December 7
    “Sit-down places?”
    You’re in NYC, dude. Real men there eat standing up.

[The REAL] Halal Guys (grab your grub and sit where you can find an elevated block of concrete not covered in gum or pigeon shit).
    Southwest corner of 53rd & 6th. (Beware of copycat mofos.)
    Pro tip: go easy on the red (hot) sauce. It’s spicy AF. Best to go late afternoon/early evening. Cart gets a crazy line during the weekends and at night.

Junior’s (yes you can actually sit at a table here, if you can find one...)
    Two locations:
    1. 1626 Broadway @ 49th St.
    2. 1515 Broadway; @ 45th St. btwn Broadway and 8th Ave.
    Pro tip: pastrami sandwich is great. Pickles there are too. Shaddap and eat them pickled beets..they’re good for you! Be a man, and finish that shit off with a slice of cheesecake.

Gray’s Papaya (new location since Spring 2017–you’ll most likely be standing. Don’t worry, it helps the dogs go down easier)
    612 Eighth Avenue, btwn. W. 39th and W. 40th Sts.
    Pro tip: Both the Piña Colada and Papaya drinks are bomb. Don’t wimp out on that dog. Have them load that bad boy up with goodies.

Pizza joints? I’m not going to help you, as even the shittiest pizza place in NYC is worlds better than any “New York Style” abomination that they have over here in California. Seriously, pizza on the left coast is a disgrace.

Have fun. I’m jealous. I really (really) miss that place.

P.S. for any kind of Asian food, avoid that area (Times Sq./Rockflr Ctr.) like the plague. It’s either crap, or really overpriced (or both). Japanese food in the East Village (at St. Mark’s Pl.)... Korean in Korea Town (get out at Penn Station and walk East on 32nd St.)... Chinese down in Chinatown (head south till you hear everyone speaking Cantonese. If you only see rich white guys with white collared shirts, you've gone too far).
    P.P.S. On the topic of Chinatown, if you head down Mott St. to grab a bite please head into the arcade at Chinatown Fair and let me know how many actual fighting games are still in that place. Back in the day, that seedy shithole was where I spent HOURS playing (and getting bodied at) 3rd Strike. I hear that it's but a faint echo of its former self. If so, that makes me :cry:
    Post edited by jopamo on
    jopamo wrote: »
    P.P.S. On the topic of Chinatown, if you head down Mott St. to grab a bite please head into the arcade at Chinatown Fair and let me know how many actual fighting games are still in that place. Back in the day, that seedy shithole was where I spent HOURS playing (and getting bodied at) 3rd Strike. I hear that it's but a faint echo of its former self. If so, that makes me :cry:
    Surprisingly, I did passing by there.
    Mostly music, UFO catcher, and stupid cellphone-ish games ("Crossy road"?).
    I did count ONE Tekken-something on a Namco Noir. That's it. :(

I also ended up passing by Video Games New York. Even my wife was impressed as she walked around in there.
    Ended up just picking up a couple of arcade stick things I needed (a JLF, two Dark Hai balltops, and a couple of shaft-covers).

Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    In case anyone here needed another reason to buy a Nintendo Switch.

https://kotaku.com/street-fighter-collection-bundles-12-games-in-one-relea-1821168522
    I was hoping it would get a ps3 release, maybe they will do digital only, I'm hoping anyways

I'm not buying a ps4 just for ST online. It is the first time I have been tempted to upgrade to current gen but I'm gonna give it a miss
    I think PC is also getting the collection
    edited December 11
    I think PC is also getting the collection
    Looks like my extra Saturns are going on eBay
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 5,526
    Doesn't have puzzle fighter. Hard pass.
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    Or Super Gem Fighter/Pocket Fighter...
    Looks like I’m keeping them Saturns around a bit longer ;-)
    edited December 14
    UPDATE: I returned these things. Even despite a firmware update to “fix” the terrible vibration motor noise, they are just too small for my hands.

I posted above yesterday, so does this count as a double post? (Nah...)

Anyway, my 8bitdo SF30 Pro controllers arrived today (which is great as I have the day off to mess around). I have to say, they look as nice as my previous SFC30’s—except now they have L2 & R2 buttons, USB-C data/charging ports, and (of course) analog sticks with rumble motors.

Here’s how they came packaged:
    XLsPV99l.jpg

The nice outer box of the SFC30 has been replaced with a flimsy cardboard sleeve on the SF30 Pro. However, at least they’ve shrouded the controller to prevent friction damage during shipment.
    hoYTpCcl.jpg
    v778gVul.jpg

So far I’ve paired these with my Switch and a Raspberry Pi running Retropie 4.3. In both cases they’ve paired perfectly with no headaches, and play with no perceptible lag.

The trigger buttons and analog sticks are very welcome additions. They feel great, and work great.

So far so good, right?

Well...the rumble motors are really loud and feel a bit ghetto-cheap in their vibration delivery, but they do get the job done. I’m not a fan of vibration in general, so I’m looking forward to a firmware update that allows for disabling the feature.

Now their predecessors were super-light, and it seems that such remains with this generation. It’s subjective, but the Switch Pro controller and DualShock 4 have much better weight (and ergonomics) for duty with the Switch and Retropie, respectively. I use a Xbox One Elite controller with PC (which is heavy AF), so there’s not much of a comparison there...

Here’s the annoyingly shitty part...
    Either I’ve got ginormous thumbs, or 8bitdo should have spread things out a bit. Check it:
    mrc9Yrel.jpg
    YyACD32l.jpg

I’m hitting at about a 70% “derp rate,” where pressing the Y button or swinging my thumb in the down-right or right directions on the d-pad inadvertently actuates the nearby analog stick.

THAT IS VERY ANNOYING.

Is it a dealbreaker? I dunno yet. I’m going to give them a few days of use. However, it’s possible that these may be gifted to my buddy for X-Mas for his Retropie system that I just finished for him (he has small hands with twigs for fingers, LOL)

My advice?:
    If you have a Switch....get a Switch Pro controller.
    If you have a PC...get an Xbox One, Xbox 360 or DualShock 4 controller.
    If you have a Raspberry Pi (or similar small-board PC), sure...get the SF30 Pro (or SN30 Pro)...but ONLY if you have thin thumbs.
    Post edited by jopamo on
    Here’s the annoyingly shitty part...
    Either I’ve got ginormous thumbs, or 8bitdo should have spread things out a bit.However, it’s possible that these may be gifted to my buddy for X-Mas for his Retropie system that I just finished for him (he has small hands with twigs for fingers, LOL)
    but ONLY if you have thin thumbs.

• The_Real_PhoenixThe_Real_Phoenix electronoob Joined: Posts: 203
    @jopamo Don't home/share buttons aren't too on the way? I've always found that weird to put them under the thumb and rather put then, let's say, next to the 8BitDo Logo.
    edited December 12
    They’re flush enough that you don’t hit those accidentally (thankfully). The analog stick placement on these though is just really janky.

8bitdo is trying too hard to “jack-of-all-trades” a gamepad design that is inherently “pre-analog-stick.” It feels akin to trying to put a second wheel on a unicycle.
    Thanks for the impressions, @jopamo
    I've been waiting for Amazon.ca to stock the SF30 Pro, but we'll see if I still want those. I might just settle for getting the SFC30 and the Classic Mini dongle to use for my SNES Classic instead.

Looking for:
    (Intentional double-post as this one has nothing to do with my previous post, and I didn't want any potential quotes/replies to contain the wrong message)

Just got home from my trip to NYC, and had a question for anyone living in the USA.

So for those who don't know, here in Canada, there's a government imposed price guarantee policy. That is, if an item scans at the cashier/register at a higher price than the price tag on the item/shelf, you're entitled to a $10 discount on the item (if the item is more than $10) or the item is free (if the item is less than $10). This only applies to the first item if you're buying more than one; the remaining ones will get priced at the lower pricetag.

That being said, is there a similar (or any) price guarantee policy anywhere in the US? Does it depend on the state/county?

Mainly asking because, during this trip, twice (once at a Walgreens in Manhattan, and once in a Target somewhere in New Jersey) an item in my basket rang up at a higher price than the sticker on the shelf. When I pointed it out to the cashier, both times they simply replied with "Well, the sticker's wrong, because that's what it scans at." They didn't offer to even look into it. I didn't argue because I didn't know if there was a price guarantee policy; and also the price difference was like $1 on each occasion, so I didn't feel the effort in fighting it was worthwhile...

Looking for:
    edited December 12
    Thanks for the impressions, @jopamo
    I've been waiting for Amazon.ca to stock the SF30 Pro, but we'll see if I still want those. I might just settle for getting the SFC30 and the Classic Mini dongle to use for my SNES Classic instead.
    You’re welcome. For the SNES Classic, your proposal is the preferred one. Analog sticks are a waste for that use case anyway.

About your North East retail experience:
    While a $10 compensation discount isn’t normal in the US, adjusting the price at the register to reflect the sticker price IS. Though I’m not surprised at what you had encountered...
    I’ve lived in four states in the US: NJ (born & raised), NY, RI and now CA. I’ve encountered that crap you’ve experienced in three of them. Can you guess which ones those were?

[hint: they are geographically clustered amongst each other.]

Why, you ask? Because, East Coast. That’s why. That’s one of the (many) reasons why I’m still on the left coast (well, except for the pizza).
    Mainly asking because, during this trip, twice (once at a Walgreens in Manhattan, and once in a Target somewhere in New Jersey) an item in my basket rang up at a higher price than the sticker on the shelf. When I pointed it out to the cashier, both times they simply replied with "Well, the sticker's wrong, because that's what it scans at." They didn't offer to even look into it. I didn't argue because I didn't know if there was a price guarantee policy; and also the price difference was like $1 on each occasion, so I didn't feel the effort in fighting it was worthwhile...
    I would ask to see a manager, and if they refuse I would just drop everything and leave
    edited December 12
    Yep. I’ve done that at a grocery store before. Left the checkout line with a ton of groceries still on the conveyor belt LOL.
    Yep. I’ve done that at a grocery store before. Left the checkout line with a ton of groceries still on the conveyor belt LOL.

Yep. They better send someone out to make a price check. If not hey you lost a customer, I take my money elsewhere.
    Wow. With 2017 coming to a close soon, I was looking back on any mods/builds I did this year.
    And the only thing that came up was redoing the PCB situation in my cabinet, but was more of a necessity rather than a desire, because one of the Paewangs crapped out.

Seems like 2017 was more of a year for gaming than modding/building: Wrapping up FF15, Zelda Skyward Sword, Zelda Breath of the Wild, NieR Automata, Danganronpa V3, Mario Odyssey.

Looking for: