Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition v.2014

Comments

• KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,707 mod
    Trying out the PS-14gs. Only like them for MvC2 right now, but prefer Sanwas for anything else. Going to give it more time before I completely write them off.
    I started putting PS-14G on everything after using a Namco and then EX SE. I prefer them to Sanwas and PS-14GN (though I wish they were screw rather than snap-in.) I seem to manage to break off the damned snap-in tabs every time I remove them from a case.

I was looking up a PCB diagram on Slagcoin yesterday and ended up mirroring the site. If anyone has time to look it over for missing content, broken images, etc. I would appreciate it. I didn't see any when I was skimming it over.

http://srktt.com/slagcoin/
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

Replacement Themes for Enhanced Browsing Pleasure
  • kasprfotokasprfoto part time player, part time modder Joined: Posts: 769
    i also fell in love with PS-14-G's. Kyle, do you have any of Art's Plexi with PS-14-G's mounted? i'm contemplating whether to order some Plexi from Art but don't want to switch to another button (since the plexi adds extra thickness to the CP).
  • Chris [BEANS]Chris [BEANS] Game Over Joined: Posts: 128
    Hmmmm.... Where can I get the clear nuts from the PS-14-KN without buying the whole button?

I want to use the nuts on the OBSN 30 buttons I have, and don't want to use big orange nuts (oo-er!!).
    chrisbeans.jpg
  • Fenrir171Fenrir171 c.fp abuser Joined: Posts: 386
    Clicky sticks FTW. I can never feel comfortable playing on a stick that doesn't click.

yeeeeeeeeeeeessssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss i still find it a bit oddly disconcerting that i cant ear a click... sometimes it makes me feel like i havnt pressed the button...
    I seem to manage to break off the damned snap-in tabs every time I remove them from a case.

i did this a few days ago on my se when i went to move around the buttons... sad panda...

Fenrir of Desert Sky
    Live by the sword, die by the gun.
    {Modern reindition translating too: "Where's the honor?"}

My goal in life? To somehow get on Azrael-samas Words of Wisdom Page...
    Originally posted by RoninChaos
    I GET AROUND, SIR, I CANNOT LIE.
    Originally posted by ViciousSLASH
    They were getting all fucked up and then pow , Optimus Prime comes and he has the touch , AND THE POWER. Does some flips and blows everyone up.

God bless you optimus prime.

<@RoninC> Anyway, I'm (at a certian part in a book). So don't blow nothin' for me.
    [3:00am] <@RoninC> ..except these nuts, bitches!
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,733 ✭✭
    Just buy Nuts AkihabaraShop.jp from.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • black shoemakerblack shoemaker black hatmaker Joined: Posts: 995 ✭✭
    My dad got a 50" Grand Wega for his home theatre. I loved playing games on it since it brought back memories of playing at the arcades in the late 90's when Megalo 50 cabs were pretty common here.

:wow:50 inch CRT?!??! I bet that weighs 500+. He got that in the Philippines??!? All I know is that if I bought one from Manilla, it wouldn't make the trip down here to Bias City.
    jerb
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 1,988
    I seem to manage to break off the damned snap-in tabs every time I remove them from a case.

Jesus Christ I thought that was just me....
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
    i also fell in love with PS-14-G's. Kyle, do you have any of Art's Plexi with PS-14-G's mounted? i'm contemplating whether to order some Plexi from Art but don't want to switch to another button (since the plexi adds extra thickness to the CP).
    I have a plexi from Art on my TE but that one has PS-14-GN. Unfortunately there's not an all white PS-14G. You have to get a black rim on it which looked weird with a Vewlix red/white color scheme.
    Jesus Christ I thought that was just me....
    What's worse is that I've done it plenty of times and I always manage to break at least one in a set. I press them very gently and they still give. Maybe it's my manly Happ hands. The tabs on my SE stick all but disintegrated. I would highly recommend against removing those buttons unless you're swapping them out.

And good god at the 50'' CRT. I have a 27'' CRT on my desk that weights at least 100 lbs.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• MiniFooMiniFoo (notmeth)AMPHETAMINE Joined: Posts: 368
    And good god at the 50'' CRT. I have a 27'' CRT on my desk that weights at least 100 lbs.

I'm pretty sure Grand WEGAs are rear-projection, so that makes them a bit lighter.
  • FreezerBFreezerB Joined: Posts: 1,340
    A friend of mine had a 50+ WEGA and it took a moving crew of 7 to move that thing.
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
    A friend of mine had a 50+ WEGA and it took a moving crew of 7 to move that thing.
    :lol:

Our 36'' CRT takes two people. I keep a 27'' on my desk that hurts my back to rotate between horizontal and vertical. I have to really want to play a game to change it. It's stuck in the vertical position about 90% of the time for shmups.

I'm getting to the point where I want to try something new. I have a dozen or so sticks and I don't want to feel like I'm actually collecting the things. So far I've tried (excluding knock-offs and cheap sticks):

iL (Happ) Competition/Super
    JLF
    ASCII Optical
    LS-32
    LS-40 coming today
    LS-56

I want to get an older Wico P360 but I haven't managed to snag one. I also wanted to try a Suzo stick but no one makes cases that fit them. I'd also take a PS2 Saulabi stick if I could find one at a decent price.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• FunkyFFunkyF Still Scrubby Joined: Posts: 300
    Had an extended play session yesterday with the PS-14-Gs and they are starting to grow on me.
    Maybe it's my manly Happ hands.

This made me lol.
    [Insert witty signature]
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    I was just on a conf call at work (outage) and ignoring my 2-year-old behind me. I turned around to find him dunking a red PS-14-K into a bowl of thick sugary milk left over from Fruit Loops. He'd also spooned some onto my TvC stick.

HAPPY TIMES
  • Crimson_Zero12Crimson_Zero12 ¬_¬ SIDE-EYE MADNESS ¬_¬ Joined: Posts: 659
    So I have an electrical problem with my SE. I recently tossed a PS1 analog pcb in it and the SE's freaked out. When I press two buttons (say, jab and strong) and a diagonal, start and select activate and the diagonal deactivates. Then, when I press three (same two, but hitting short as my third) plus a diagonal, fierce activates with it. Any more and everything activates. I looked through all of my wiring and found nothing different that I've done on my first two dual-mods. I figured that I was fucked.

So I continue fucking with the inputs and watching the lights activate for no reason and I try the PS2 side of it with a PS3 converter. Everything works just the way it should and I go to try the SE part of it. This time, it works the way it should. I take the converter off and hit up FBA to playtest it before using it for anything else. The same problem as before. I rethink it and notice the only difference is the converter, so I put it back on and try again. Problem solved.

I'm just leaving this here for anyone that experiences the same issue. I found a fix and I'm content with that.
    "The true indication of a good fighting game – playability, not balance" -Clockw0rk
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,470 mod
    I'm pretty sure Grand WEGAs are rear-projection, so that makes them a bit lighter.

At the very least my dad's is. That said, it takes two people to move it slightly (including the matching base table) whenever we have to access stuff in the back.
    Love arcade sticks? Then BUY MY SHIRT.
  • Mr. WarzardMr. Warzard CvS2 Commissioner Gordon Joined: Posts: 662
    No luck in the SF anniversary thread, so I figured I'd repost my question here. I just modded my stick with happ parts, and one of my buttons makes a really loud echoing sound whenever it is pressed during gameplay. The other 7 buttons make a similar sound if you listen closely for it, but this one is super loud. Is this common with new happ buttons and will it go away over time, or is the button maybe defective? So far it seems to work ok.
    "Street Fighter 4 ruins everything" - Steve H.
    CVS2: Grown Man Street Fighting
    Apoc was right: http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/comment/556915/#Comment_556915
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭✭
    so my order from akihabara shop came today. i ordered some ps-14g buttons to replace the ps-14gn buttons i sold, some seimitsu pearl buttons, one ls-32 round gate, ls-33, ls-55-01, ls-56 shaft and an ls-55 spring, seimitsu octagonal gate, and some other stuff.

first up, the ls-32 with the round gate is awesome. i <3 non square gates.

as for my the seimitsu pearl, i'll say they're mid tier. it feels ultra smooth, like a cross between a sanwa obsf/obsn and a seimitsu ps-14. my main gripe is that the buttons are noticeably smaller than the sanwa obsf/n. even though they're 30mm buttons, the plunger takes up quite a lot of room.

next is the ls-55 with an octagonal gate. its a pretty solid stick. it feels like a cross between the jlf with octagonal gate and an ls-32. it has the large throw from the jlf octagonal and the stiffness of the ls-32. it feels pretty sturdy.

las but not least is the ls-33. from what i read at slagcoin.com, the ls-56 shaft is compatible with the ls-33 as the stock shaft is too low to be mounted on most arcade sticks. however, i was having problems putting the ls-56 shaft on the ls-33 as it grinds the metal washer. it turns out that you need to put on the shaft cover in order for the shaft to work correctly in the ls-33, which akihabarashop forgot. having no other choice, i took the shaft cover from my used ls-56 and put in on the new ls-56 shaft and then start to put the ls-33 together. it worked like a charm. i was doing vipers fff on my first try which normally takes me 2 to 3 tries to get. the spring was loose but not as bad as people made it out to be. imo, sanwa springs tend to be looser. nevertheless, i replaced the ls-33 spring with an ls-55 spring and it works perfect. definitely my second favorite stick at the moment.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • EvelgestEvelgest set the lab on fire. Joined: Posts: 1,383
    I changed the artwork for my custom.. again.
    Balrog. Makoto. Dekappa.

OH UMEHARA-SAMA
    TEACH ME GUILE-SAN ARIGATO
    ~ mzenken
    Random thought: would it be possibly to mod the WiiShaft with quality arcade parts for TVC?
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,889 ✭✭
    I've got to get used to Seimitsu or Sanwa buttons and sticks at some point. My latest work in progress is using a JLW with happ buttons (I'm used to the tension of a competition and I haven't been able to convince myself I don't need the clicky, tactile fee of a cherry switch under the buttons yet). I wonder if it's worth getting a TE or SE and tossing a JLW inside for practice. At least changing the art woud be a snap. I don't think I want to put custom money behind something I may or may not like. But who knows...
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
  • Ketchy KechKetchy Kech RAZALASH Joined: Posts: 855
    I really would like to use a joytick on my PSP =[ So many greater fighters, and the only option is a shitty analog and "ok" d-pad!
    homebrewers should make an app for joystick detection..!!
    || MvC3: Ironman, Tron, Super Skrull || SSF4 v.2012: Guy || || BB CSII: Tsubaki Yayoi ||
    || UMvC3: R. Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Ryu || 3SOE: Elena || SkullGirls: Painwheel / Double (?) || *

• Chris [BEANS]Chris [BEANS] Game Over Joined: Posts: 128
    Broke the nozzle on a full can of laquer :(
    chrisbeans.jpg
    I really would like to use a joytick on my PSP =[ So many greater fighters, and the only option is a shitty analog and "ok" d-pad!
    homebrewers should make an app for joystick detection..!!

Well if you had a PSP Go, you could padhack a Sixaxis and use it with that.

Actually, has anyone very tried to "padhack" a PSP and put it inside a stick case?
  • Ketchy KechKetchy Kech RAZALASH Joined: Posts: 855
    Well if you had a PSP Go, you could padhack a Sixaxis and use it with that.

Actually, has anyone very tried to "padhack" a PSP and put it inside a stick case?

Can you really? PS3 Sixaxis works with PSP GO? :] I guess ill hold out until it has CFW/homebrew/backup playable capabilities....
    || MvC3: Ironman, Tron, Super Skrull || SSF4 v.2012: Guy || || BB CSII: Tsubaki Yayoi ||
    || UMvC3: R. Raccoon, Dr. Strange, Ryu || 3SOE: Elena || SkullGirls: Painwheel / Double (?) || *

• brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    I wish somebody had a flash dust washer for me.

• RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    I've got to get used to Seimitsu or Sanwa buttons and sticks at some point. My latest work in progress is using a JLW with happ buttons (I'm used to the tension of a competition and I haven't been able to convince myself I don't need the clicky, tactile fee of a cherry switch under the buttons yet). I wonder if it's worth getting a TE or SE and tossing a JLW inside for practice. At least changing the art woud be a snap. I don't think I want to put custom money behind something I may or may not like. But who knows...

I hate to post advice on stuff I haven't tried yet, but you might be interested in these:

OBS-30A.jpg
    Sanwa OBS-30A

OBS-30B.jpg
    Sanwa OBS-30B

I was planning on picking up some in my next akihabarashop order just for kicks, to try them out and post some impressions. You can get the OBS-M-1 switch separately if you already have OBSN- or OBSF-30s, as they appear to be identical button housings with a different type of switch attached. It also looks like you can swap in Cherry switches if the Omrons it comes with feel too stiff. I recall a post from Per some years back saying he really liked them stock, though.

You can find them at akihabarashop.jp under Arcade > Buttons > Special.

Just based on looking at these, I think they'd be pretty nice for a Cherry-style microswitch button. The plunger is relatively short and appears to be centered directly over the switch actuator (unlike Happs), so it should have a pretty direct feel. No way for me to tell how stiff the spring in there is, or if there even is one besides whatever is in the Omron switch. Maybe someone else here has tried these.

[Note for TEs: I doubt these can fit without cutting up the center plate inside the TE housing.]
    The Microswitches are riveted in the thing.
    So it really hard to remove.

TheRealNeoGeo couldn't remove it.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
  • Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward moment Joined: Posts: 2,456
    I was wondering if this was a good alternative to buying and modding a PS3 stick or modding my Xbox stick, as I have to attend the FR tournament and the onlyl PS3 stick I have is a T6 one, and no PS2 stick.
    Saikyo Joe does whatever the hell Saikyo Joe wants to do - Luc

The answer to your question is no.
    I was wondering if this was a good alternative to buying and modding a PS3 stick or modding my Xbox stick, as I have to attend the FR tournament and the onlyl PS3 stick I have is a T6 one, and no PS2 stick.
    Why buy a new stick you're going to have to mod anyway when you can simply just mod your existing stick?
  • Saikyo JoeSaikyo Joe that awkward moment Joined: Posts: 2,456
    Why buy a new stick you're going to have to mod anyway when you can simply just mod your existing stick?

I don't know, but the time I have is short. I have several options.

1) Mod my Xbox stick to be PS3/PS2 compatible, which I can't do myself and requires about as much money as another stick, and can require time if I buy the parts, wait for them to come, send my stick out to get modded, wait for it to come back, etc.

2) Buy a PS3 stick, and later down the road mod them both.

3) Do something with my Tekken 6 stick

Final Round only uses Playstations, which I think is a terrible decision for folks like me lol
    Saikyo Joe does whatever the hell Saikyo Joe wants to do - Luc

The answer to your question is no.
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,954
    I can't help but feel that people are starting to misinterpret the point of this thread. The whole idea of this was to have a general discussion; I don't think that the intent of the Think Out Loud thread was to be a place to ask advice or anything. You can easily make a new thread for that or check out some already existing resources.

I dunno folks, that's my two cents. By the way, that was me "thinking out loud." :razz:

PS: Just throwing it out there also, that my post was not specifically directed at anybody, it's just based on the trend I noticed the past couple of pages.
    I can't help but feel that people are starting to misinterpret the point of this thread. The whole idea of this was to have a general discussion; I don't think that the intent of the Think Out Loud thread was to be a place to ask advice or anything. You can easily make a new thread for that or check out some already existing resources.

I dunno folks, that's my two cents. By the way, that was me "thinking out loud." :razz:

PS: Just throwing it out there also, that my post was not specifically directed at anybody, it's just based on the trend I noticed the past couple of pages.
    Can't help it. People here in tech talk are a helpful bunch who'll simply answer a question instead of berate/troll someone.
    I will help others in any Thread.

But this Thread say in First Post not to ask questions.
    Laugh.

This is like becoming the Absolute Noobie Thread.
    But maybe these questions are thought out loud.
    Laugh.
    I will help others in any Thread.

But this Thread say in First Post not to ask questions.
    Laugh.

This is like becoming the Absolute Noobie Thread.
    But maybe these questions are thought out loud.
    Laugh.
    Who knows, maybe for some people, every thought is a question.
  • GummoGummo Can We Mod It? Yes, We Can! Joined: Posts: 4,687 ✭✭✭✭
    crazy though for the night for me: wouldn't it be cool to integrate one of those tiny laptops like the ASUS with a custom arcade stick case? Convenient MAME on the go!
    Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/gummowned
    Twitter: @Gummowned
    Will be providing my modding services at EVO @ the Madcatz booth!
    crazy though for the night for me: wouldn't it be cool to integrate one of those tiny laptops like the ASUS with a custom arcade stick case? Convenient MAME on the go!

I've been thinking about something similar as well, but with either a PS2 Slim or micro-ITX mobo based PC.
  • pennylanepennylane Joined: Posts: 337
    I really like the spring stiffness of the LS-32 on my JLF. A little stiffer than the JLF spring but moving it doesn't take much energy either.

I'm currently debating whether I should use my modded actuator that reduces throw or stick with the stick JLF actuator. Sometimes I feel like the reduced throw gets in the way of doing motions, but other times I feel like the reduced throw will force me to not ride the gate more, and it makes dashing and such easier.
    Bay Area
    Xbox Live: SturDGoldenBear
    USF4
    Voted for the TE in Engaget. I'm thinking it's high time an arcade stick won an "of the year" award.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/vote-for-the-2009-engadget-awards/
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    I just finished dual-modding a PS3 TE with a padhacked 360 SF4 FightPad PCB and a DPDT toggle switch.
  • brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    I wish they made a nice looking pushbutton 4pdt.

• MonoTekETeAMonoTekETeA Yippy Kie Yo Yie Yay Joined: Posts: 559
    Mek, there is already a thread for that.

Brig, why not just find a cap for it? I think most of those switches are made to be capped.
    I can phoenix CPS2 boards. Contact me if you need it done.

Team Don't Ever Stop!
    Anyone own a cab? I have a serious urge to get one despite being in small-as-hell-town TX.

There's a local vendor who has 20 or so cabs in various (mostly poor) conditions. The one I'm after is a 4 slot Neo-Geo MVS. He has to get a new chassis for the monitor but overall it's in good shape. He wants $300 for it. That works for me since it isn't gutted and has the original Metal Slug. I would honestly rather have a Candy Cab. It seems like a decent compromise though for a wooden cabinet.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• sir_arthursir_arthur Joined: Posts: 1,541
    Voted for the TE in Engaget. I'm thinking it's high time an arcade stick won an "of the year" award.
    http://www.engadget.com/2010/02/04/vote-for-the-2009-engadget-awards/

I did too, but man, it has only 2.3% of the votes while the Vision Goggles from MW2 and Wii Motion Plus have the 23% and 27% D=
    USF4 - Rufus/Sim
    KOF 13 - Duo Lon/EX Iori/Shen
  • lackerlacker Joined: Posts: 183
    I wonder what is wrong with me. When SF4 and the T.E. sticks were announced I decided I was going to skip the whole thing because I did not want to spend $360+ for one game (2 sticks and the game itself). I know have about 9 different joysticks, 3 of which I built, and I have another I want to build. A couple of days ago I put in an pre-order for Hori premium stick and when the guy called me to confirm if it was for PS3 or 360 I canceled my order because I could not decide if I wanted to sell my Hrap 3VSA, the VSHG, or the namco stick, or my 2 anniversary sticks.

I have an extra ls32, about 12 balltops, and about 30 buttons and 2 cthulhu boards.

What happened to me? I blame SRK.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 6,907 ✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what is wrong with me. When SF4 and the T.E. sticks were announced I decided I was going to skip the whole thing because I did not want to spend $360+ for one game (2 sticks and the game itself). I know have about 9 different joysticks, 3 of which I built, and I have another I want to build. A couple of days ago I put in an pre-order for Hori premium stick and when the guy called me to confirm if it was for PS3 or 360 I canceled my order because I could not decide if I wanted to sell my Hrap 3VSA, the VSHG, or the namco stick, or my 2 anniversary sticks.

I have an extra ls32, about 12 balltops, and about 30 buttons and 2 cthulhu boards.

What happened to me? I blame SRK.

the SAME thing happened to me. before sf4 came out, i was pretty happy with my mas, red octane and the arcade stick i built from scratch. just last year, i bought like 6 additional sticks. the madcatz te were sold out so i got an SE stick for $100(!). after evo, i was spoiled by the TE sticks, bought one and dual modded it. 2 weeks later i bought 3 te sticks since it was on sale for $100 with tax and everything at frys. i sold my original te stick and another new one to a friend. now i have 2 te sticks which i heavily modded. i bought an ascii optical stick for $100 from an srk member here since i heard it was nearly identical to the sanwa flash. i bought another one a few months later for $70 on ebay (couldn't resist the deal). i also wanted to try out the seimitsu ls-32, ls-33, ls-55, and ls-56 so i bought a hrap se stick when it was on sale just so i could try the ls-32 and replace the t5 stick i destroyed a while back.

my collection

now i sorta want to get a namco stick despite the fact i hate square gates. hopefully, i can trade one of the ascii sticks for one of those.

i have an extra ls-56, an ascii optical with all sanwa parts, a sanwa jlf, a sanwa jlw, a stock hori stick, 12 stock ascii buttons, countless hori knockoff buttons, numerous happ concave buttons and a like 6 ball tops.

wtf is wrong with me? i blame srk too.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 20,835 admin
    Hey does anyone know where I can buy TE stick screws? You know the one that's on top. I lost one piece and it's bothering me. I couldnt find any on lizardlick =[
  • ThirteenThirteen Joined: Posts: 463
    SRK TechTalk needs a stick collectors anonymous support section. Only here will you find people that have sticks for systems they don't even own.
    Is it bad that half the reason a finally bought a PS2 again is that I had to test out my padhacks and T5 stick?
    One day I'm gonna need a Saturn stick, you'll see!
    All this space inside an HRAP seems like such a waste, I should put some PCBs in there!
  • Sugar_KaneSugar_Kane Joined: Posts: 497
    It's comforting to know that I'm not alone in my stick harvesting. Every time I build one I tell myself 'that's it! I'm never doing this again' then two weeks later I'm ordering new parts.

I've also been straying into collecting more and more. I just don't know what it is about sticks, I don't even use all of them! I blame SRK too, having all of these cool sticks on display just spurs me on.