Best Ultimate Tech Talk Hang Out Loud Edition v.2014

KyleKyle PS-14-GangstaJoined: Posts: 4,707 mod
edited January 4 in Tech Talk
The Introduction thread got stale. Let's try this again.

1. Stay on subject.

2. Do not ask for help.

Lessons learned from AkihabaraShop:

An LS-55 spring magically fixes the JLF for me. It also turns into a solid stick for shmups. It was an obscure reference I caught in another post. I'm guessing most people would call it too tight. It's tighter than both my LS-32 and LS-56. Has anyone else tried this? Thoughts?

The LB-45 (large balltop) is insanely huge. I'd be curious to know if anyone regularly uses one and how you grip it. I had to use the 'grip of doom' which is the equivalent of shifting a gear on a manual transmission.

The LB-30 (small balltop) is comical looking but I actually liked the thing. It feels like it gives you extra precision in shmups. I left it on my LS-32 for now. It's a little too clumsy to use for fighters.

Gogogo.
Post edited by Kyle on
6-Button is cooler
8-Button is dick

Replacement Themes for Enhanced Browsing Pleasure

Comments

• brighennebrighenne Joined: Posts: 799
    My main stick is a jlf with ascii optical pcb, and an ls 55 spring added with the stock spring. It's magically delicious.

• tanabetanabe Stay Cool Joined: Posts: 934
    T

An LS-55 spring magically fixes the JLF for me. It also turns into a solid stick for shmups. It was an obscure reference I caught in another post. I'm guessing most people would call it too tight. It's tighter than both my LS-32 and LS-56. Has anyone else tried this? Thoughts?

i'm thinking about getting the ls-55 spring into my madcatz SE stick that i ghetto modded with happ switches :rofl:

i just got done wiring my HRAP 3. i had to solder the wires to my happ switches and i guess i inhaled too much solder fumes. i''m dizzy as fuck :rolf: lucky me i was using lead free solder.
    PSN: hairypeckpeck
  • Ikagi-chanIkagi-chan Loves his HRAP2SA! <3 Joined: Posts: 1,954
    I'm still a giant advocate of the LS-32 myself. I threw in an LS-32 spring into my own ASCII Answer and it feels just plain old right. Seimitsu's LS-32/LS-40 spring feels as if it were custom made for me! :lovin:

Kyle, I know what you mean; the LB-45 is HUGE. When I first saw one on my friend's custom, I thought for a second he commissioned Numbski to make him a custom ball-top from a pool ball, it was so huge! I couldn't even gearshift knob the thing since I've got really small girl hands and it's uncomfortable for me to grip it like that. I can't reach around enough of the ball-top to get a comfortable grip!

I have yet to try the LB-30 ball-tops though. I'd definitely like to try one though; they're deceptively cute! I only wish they made them in more designs besides just the standard colors. It'd be really cool to see a LB-30-M MeshBall! :lol:

Anyways, does anyone besides me find that authentic American joysticks look insanely awesome? For some reason, I like the way American stick designs look over Japanese design, even though I myself play on nothing but Japanese parts. There's something about an American stick that makes it stand out and be awesome. Is it the straight, 2 by 3 layout? Is it the perfect centering of the joystick in these designs? Is it the concave buttons, the 1, 2, 3, 4 player buttons? I dunno, they just look absolutely fantastic!
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,134
    I accidentally ordered a 45mm Seimitsu Bubble top instead of the 35mm. Not only is it huge, but heavy. I was able to move the joystick by tilting the stick around really quickly.
  • d3vd3v #MAXCPM Fiber Override Joined: Posts: 24,444 mod
    Anyways, does anyone besides me find that authentic American joysticks look insanely awesome? For some reason, I like the way American stick designs look over Japanese design, even though I myself play on nothing but Japanese parts. There's something about an American stick that makes it stand out and be awesome. Is it the straight, 2 by 3 layout? Is it the perfect centering of the joystick in these designs? Is it the concave buttons, the 1, 2, 3, 4 player buttons? I dunno, they just look absolutely fantastic!
    I'm the opposite, I love the curved layout of the Japanese design. To me, the American layout looks stiff in comparison. Off course, those 15 or so years of playing on Japanese parts leads to a bit of bias.
    Follow me on Twitter @D3Vlicious

"Because I Really like to get my weather reports from SRK's D3v""
    -KR|PromilKid

• RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    Hehehe. I got one of those huge balltops some time back. It's pretty clumsy; I think I left it on for about 10 minutes. 360s were fun though. :)

What games actually use these? Seems like something that might go on a claw machine.

I haven't tried the LB-30... Something new to throw on the pile next time I make an order.

American sticks are hot. This is my old Saturn stick.

2007-11-05_134418.jpg

American sticks are hot. This is my old Saturn stick.

http://deviation.org/sticks/2007-11-05_134418.jpg
    Is it wrong that I'm drawn more to that copy of Ys for the TurboGraphx CD than to the stick?

-KR|PromilKid

• MarkManMarkMan FOR THE COMMUNITY! Joined: Posts: 5,071 mod
    Random thought. Man, I wonder if Hori is gonna shit their pants when they see this?
    - MarkMan @ SDTEKKEN.COM

Sorry if I don't reply to your emails or PMs right away. I'm busy :(
  • NiteWalkerNiteWalker For me it was Friday. Joined: Posts: 1,668 ✭✭
    See what?

My random thought:
    Why do no big manufacturing companies make just cases without shitty buttons and sticks in them? I guess just because it's a niche market...

I dunno. Need sleep.
    On a never ending quest for the perfect arcade stick.
    SimpleCase Custom Arcade Stick Enclosures
    He's posting like it's a thought he's having. Basically he's being the big tease he always is with new products coming out, haha.

Oh I see.
    Can't wait to see what's brewing.
  • Sugar_KaneSugar_Kane Joined: Posts: 497
    I add an LS-32 spring on top of my JLF ones because I'm quite heavy handed. It makes them perfect for me.

I bought a 45mm bubble top and a 30mm top to see how different they were. I put the 30mm one on my Namco stick and somehow it just seems to fit the stick, I guess because it's so compact.

The 45mm however... I've been dying to use it but it really is too heavy! I've got it on a stick that I built recently, using the stock stick that I had left over from modding my Agetec. I even put another spring in it to try and compensate for the drastic throw, but it's still too weighty and spongey, you'd probably have to get an elevator spring in there to make it useable.
  • OuroborusOuroborus plays 3s just to troll Joined: Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭✭
    my button ranking:

top: sanwa obsf/n 30, ps-14g. these are easily the best buttons i've used so far. i rank them highly because its super easy to slide from hp to lp and back. the only downside is that the sanwa are too sensitive at times and the ps-14g are a bit loud.

middle: happ convex and concave.

they much more sturdier than the japanese buttons but also too tall to mount on small joysticks. also its not as soft as the obsf and ps14g (more resistance). i love their concave buttons over the convex buttons. i might be the only guy here that does

low: ps14 gn and its kn counter part, crown cwb 203c. too much resistance. it not good for mashing or sliding buttons with your fingers. the edges of the crown buttons are a bit sharp.

bottom: happ ultimate. avoid at all cost.

i havent tried out the ps-15 or ps-14p yet.
    ssf4ae tier list regarding Gen:

D Proto: and where is Gen?
    oORYUOo: you cannot tier what you cannot see
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre しあわせゲットだよ! Joined: Posts: 2,177 ✭✭
    Is it wrong that I'm drawn more to that copy of Ys for the TurboGraphx CD than to the stick?
    You're not the only one :[ I actually spent more time seeing if I could tell what was under Ys.

I recently switched my SE stick to an LS-32-01, and I absolutely love it compared to the Sanwa JFL, which gets me to thinking- should I look into other Semitsu sticks, or is the 32-01 really the standard
  • Digital-Digital- Bumrush Joined: Posts: 1,591
    does the LS-55 spring make the JLF feel ... "mushy" like when you add an LS-32 spring to it?
    [At Ease Loser]
    Street Fighter IV : Seth
    Super Street Figther IV : Seth
    Serve Extra Cold
  • KAKUKAKU Joined: Posts: 73
    You're not the only one :[ I actually spent more time seeing if I could tell what was under Ys.

I recently switched my SE stick to an LS-32-01, and I absolutely love it compared to the Sanwa JFL, which gets me to thinking- should I look into other Semitsu sticks, or is the 32-01 really the standard

try out an LS-56, they're the sex.
  • PhreakazoidPhreakazoid Turkey Legs Incoming! Joined: Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭✭
    So I've started the thought process for a new mod project. This is dangerous, because now that I've got it in my head I won't stop thinking about it until I order parts and make it happen :rofl:

If I do it, it'll be another 1 of a kind though :tup:
    Cerberus, easy dual mod for your TE ->www.phreakmods.com/products/cerberus
    Link JLF Detachable Joystick Shaft! -> www.PhreakMods.com/products/the-link
    Available @ FocusAttack.com -> http://www.focusattack.com/jlf-link/
    Available @ JasensCustoms.com -> https://www.jasenscustoms.com/PhreakMods-The-Link.html
    Available @ ParadiseAracadeShop.com -> http://www.paradisearcadeshop.com/fgc-featured/1124-the-link-jlf.html
  • Big PocketsBig Pockets likes coffee Joined: Posts: 350
    A quick history of my joystick use. Started off with a JLW with a 45mm balltop and later added a beefier spring.
    Next was the LS-33. I loved its compact design and short throw. A stronger spring makes it great.
    Then I used the LS-40 followed by the LS-32. Now it's the "LS-36" (thanks Ikagi-chan) which is probably as close to perfect for me as I am going to get.
    All that to say, I never really used the JLF. I put it in a lot of people's sticks but never in one of my own. So I decided the other day to use one for a while...
    I suppose there is nothing inherently wrong with the JLF but I still began to feel guilty for putting it in so many sticks that I have sold.
    I thought to myself, "Is this what I have been subjecting people to?"
    I mean, so many people claim to like it and think it is the joystick standard but seriously!
    Just to bring it up to par you have to mod the heck out of it when you could have just saved yourself the trouble
    and bought an LS-32...or a 40....or a 33...or any Seimitsu joystick really.
    I guess to be fair I should say that the Seimitsu aren't what I would call perfect either;
    The 32 has a fat shaft, the 40 wears out too quickly, and the 33 has the softest spring ever.
    But I would gladly take any of those over a JLF...at this point. I'm going to leave it in my stick for now
    and put some serious time into it. Maybe I am missing something.

In reference to 45mm balltops.
    What games actually use these? Seems like something that might go on a claw machine.

Your comment totally reminded me of this " . In particular 2:27~2:32. Is it weird that those 5 seconds turn me on a little?
  • PuFFPuFF Dan Marino Joined: Posts: 2,117
    Seimitsu sticks > Sanwa JLF

Couldn't have said it better myself. The JLF feels so loose and mushy. I want a stick with some resistance.
    Mountain Dew is delicious. No matter what Tweleve says.
  • sait0usait0u Joined: Posts: 1,148
    Only if Sanwa decides to make the Flash again. One day, Sanwa, One day...

Whenever I use my ls-56, it takes about 10 minutes for me to get use to everytime. I do love the stiff-ness and it feels great, but it is a bit too sensitive for me especially when I'm trying to do some footsies and end up jumping on either sides.

I can't wait to give the ls-33 with the ls-56 spring a try whenever I receive my case from someone I've been waiting for.
    To be honest, I can't stand a regular jlf at all, but I absolutely love my optical. If only someone could make an optical ls-32...

• spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,889 ✭✭
    I"ve yet to try a Semeitsu stick. I grew up on Happ sticks and american layouts. For my first custom, I used a iL competition with old school happ concave buttons. However, the case had the astro city layout. It took a while to get used to it, but I quite like it now. My fingers really do fall in that direction, especially the pinky finger. My current project I'm putting together has a JLW with a circle gate, which seems like a decent compromise. For me, the JLF just feels too loose. I'm sure with some practice I could get used to it, but I haven't ben to an arcade or any tourneys yet, so I never bothered. And if I could go to a tourney I'd see if I could bring my own stick, for sure...

Seeing how I grew up on american cabs, I'm used to bat tops as well. I recently ordered a white bat top for the JLW that I plan on dying yellow (since a stock yellow seems impossible to find). Since I have the thick shaft (no pun intended) JLW, I can switch between the bat and teh ball top with no problem.
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
  • sait0usait0u Joined: Posts: 1,148
    To be honest, I can't stand a regular jlf at all

I agree, I only like the JLF with the ls-33 spring on there. Stock jlf is way too loose for me.
  • FreezerBFreezerB Joined: Posts: 1,340
    Haha, I kinda find this amusing. Didn't we have a thread about a month back about how "overrated" the LS-32 was? We're doing that with the JLF now! Although, I can see why people would want a JLF and Sanwa buttons. The loose movement and super sensitive buttons translate from thinking to doing very quickly.

My favourite stock stick has to be the LS-32. The dead zone area is the only thing that kinda irks me. Besides that, it's a great stick for both fighters and SHMUPs.
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
  • networkingyuppynetworkingyuppy RandoMadness. Joined: Posts: 2,327 mod
    I'm going to be hooking up a LS-32-01, along ith Seimitsu screw on buttons on my Namco stick for Tatsunoko.
    Love the shorter engage!
    Team Spooky | Battle Circuits | Next Level
    GamePAD Inc. | CTF | Support a local game store today!
    Timtiktok. Mole Man City, even the Turtles can't even find you. Fen.
    facebook.com/networkingyuppy
    Twitter: @networkingyuppy
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭
    In reference to 45mm balltops.

Your comment totally reminded me of this " . In particular 2:27~2:32. Is it weird that those 5 seconds turn me on a little?

Haha, nailed it. Yes, it's weird. But it's not wrong.

That was in the shot by coincidence, but I think the same thing whenever I see the pic.
    Random thought. Man, I wonder if Hori is gonna shit their pants when they see this?

They're gonna be all like "
  • RaishinXRaishinX I fell off Joined: Posts: 1,988
    -Where are people getting 45mm bubble tops? All I've ever seen was the standard solid color ones....

-I'm going to buy a hori with a black base and the seimitsu 2p layout (think T5 hori). Coicidentally I actually gave one of these away about a year and some change ago.

-I also want an LS-33, 45mm balltop, another TaeYung Fanta and some buttons.
    i just stared at beast for 5 minutes.... hes looking right at me
    like im poongko and i got his money -Jaja Novistro
  • KyleKyle PS-14-Gangsta Joined: Posts: 4,707 mod
    My cheapo Saturn Virtua Stick came in the mail today. I had one of these things a million years ago when the Saturn was around. I'm not sure what it's trying to copy but I want some more non-microswitch sticks. The only sound the stick produces is a slight pop when it hard returns to center.

I hooked it up to my Saturn to PS2 converter and then used an Xconverter 360 to get it on the 360. It's a badass stick for shmups. HDRemix was a little iffy (it's very stiff). Coincidentally the balltop is somewhere between the LB-35 and LB-45. The thread was standard so a normal ball top screwed right on.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• black shoemakerblack shoemaker black hatmaker Joined: Posts: 995 ✭✭
    I don't know what it is with you guys and the JLF. It's not that LOOSE, I mean, compared to some sticks, it feels fine. Need that loose feeling so I can pull 360's on a square. But I prefer the LS-32 without the subgate.
    jerb
  • rtdzignrtdzign Joined: Posts: 5,134
    Initially I didn't like the LS-32, but for some reason I am coming back to it. It think it had to do with the case I put it in.
  • charliedrumscharliedrums Joined: Posts: 126
    Ok here?s the deal. I want a stick for tatsunoko vs capcom but I don?t want to make a custom stick right now. All I want is a quick mod, be it the hori wii stick or the new wii se, the JLF is too soft for my liking. I?m an iL stiffness kind of guy. So my question is, witch ever stick I end up buying, what spring can I throw into a JLF to closely resemble the iL euroJoystick?
  • spenzaliispenzalii Joined: Posts: 1,889 ✭✭
    Charlie, I think the closest you can get to that iL would be a JLW. Not sure if any spring will make a JLF feel that stiff. However, I could be wrong (and I'm sure someone will tell me!). I think with the small mounting plate the JLW offers (the big one is standard) it may mount up where a jlf does. Don't even quote me on if the height will be correct though.
    And we build BALLER SHIT! (c) Matskat
  • black shoemakerblack shoemaker black hatmaker Joined: Posts: 995 ✭✭
    can an LS-56 fit with those tatsunoko sticks?
    jerb
    Ok heres the deal. I want a stick for tatsunoko vs capcom but I dont want to make a custom stick right now. All I want is a quick mod, be it the hori wii stick or the new wii se, the JLF is too soft for my liking. Im an iL stiffness kind of guy. So my question is, witch ever stick I end up buying, what spring can I throw into a JLF to closely resemble the iL euroJoystick?
    An LS-55 spring will get you close. It is really damned tight like an iL stick. If you combine it with the original JLF spring it's supposedly even harder. I didn't go that far with it.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• charliedrumscharliedrums Joined: Posts: 126
    An LS-55 spring will get you close. It is really damned tight like an iL stick. If you combine it with the original JLF spring it's supposedly even harder. I didn't go that far with it.

Thank you very much I think I?m going with the LS-55 spring over the JLF. Things going to be TIGHT
    I love the JLF but FWIW I haven't used a seimitsu yet. I'm generally not a fan of levered microswitches.
  • ToodlesToodles da Fetus of Gawd! Joined: Posts: 10,797
    I think optical sticks are way overrated and I vastly prefer a clicky JLF to a Flash.
    The sticks in the AES stick are very cool; uber short throw, small shaft and ball (hurr hurr) and for reason is kinda comfy. I think I'll put in an RJ-45 jack and MC Cthulhu in when I mod my last AES stick; For some reason, I like the idea of playing TvC on it.
    I hate the original AES buttons with a passion. The slope of the stick is sorta weird but tolerable.
    I hate working on PSX code in my boards because one small tweak in one spot will cause the whole things to shit the bed. It's like I have to follow and uber specific recipe where one teaspoon of salt gives you cake, and 1.01 teaspoon of salt gives you crabs.
    I think optical sticks are way overrated and I vastly prefer a clicky JLF to a Flash.
    Clicky sticks FTW. I can never feel comfortable playing on a stick that doesn't click.

-KR|PromilKid

The sticks in the AES stick are very cool; uber short throw, small shaft and ball (hurr hurr) and for reason is kinda comfy. I think I'll put in an RJ-45 jack and MC Cthulhu in when I mod my last AES stick; For some reason, I like the idea of playing TvC on it.
    I hate the original AES buttons with a passion. The slope of the stick is sorta weird but tolerable.
    I've been wanting to get the PS2 version of the AES stick for a while. When I see them they're overpriced compared to the PS3 and Wii versions.
    Clicky sticks FTW. I can never feel comfortable playing on a stick that doesn't click.
    While most of my sticks do click, it's nice to be able to game on a silent stick with a pair of headphones.
    6-Button is cooler
    8-Button is dick

• KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    I'm so stoked that Toodles fixed the PSX support in the MC Cthulhu, not that unplugging/plugging was a major issue!

Also, I'm thinking of buying a used 32" Sony Wega CRT TV I found locally. I'm worried it won't fit into my car though, my old 27" Wega was a tight fit in the back seat...
    Fpr ps1/2 gaming?
    Wegas were definitely top tier a ways back. I had a 32" I paid $1100 for a long time. That thing weighed almost 200lbs.
  • MiniFooMiniFoo (notmeth)AMPHETAMINE Joined: Posts: 368
    I still have a 34" Wega, and it weighs exactly 200 pounds. Still love it, though.
  • KazujiroKazujiro PSN ID: Kazujiro XBLive: Kazujiro SRK Joined: Posts: 1,631
    Fpr ps1/2 gaming?
    Wegas were definitely top tier a ways back. I had a 32" I paid $1100 for a long time. That thing weighed almost 200lbs.

Yeah, for gaming with my PS1/PS2/Saturn/N64/SNES/NES systems. My 27" Wega's picture is so bad right now, it was never the same after I paid to have it repaired (it weighs around 150 lbs.)
  • PaperTigrePaperTigre しあわせゲットだよ! Joined: Posts: 2,177 ✭✭
    try out an LS-56, they're the sex.
    Can the LS-56 be mounted in any mass production stick, like say the TE?
  • FreezerBFreezerB Joined: Posts: 1,340
    It's like I have to follow and uber specific recipe where one teaspoon of salt gives you cake, and 1.01 teaspoon of salt gives you crabs.

I'm going to try and use this analogy all the time.

That and I gotta get my hands on an optical that won't break the bank. As a university student, this is going to stupid hard.
    <Toodles> Seven boards assembled. All popped in and tested. All seven with the IC soldered on backwards.
  • d_mentiad_mentia Joined: Posts: 203

not without modification to the TE's mounting bracket
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,733 ✭✭

Yes.

For Universal Mounting Bracket like TE, replace default VF Mounting Plate with MS Mounting Plate.
    For non-Universal Mounting Bracket like HRAP 3, then use default VF Mounting Plate.

Ok, here we go.
    HRAP with no Universal Mounting Bracket.

PlayStation 2
    HRAP ver.B
    HRAP Amazon Edition
    HRAP SA

PlayStation 2 with Game License
    HRAP Soul Caliber III
    HRAP Arcana Heart
    HRAP Suggoi! Arcana Heart 2
    HRAP Fate/unlimited codes

PlayStation 3
    HRAP 3
    HRAP 3 Amazon Edition

PlayStation 3 with Game License
    HRAP Street Fighter IV
    HRAP BlazBlue
    HRAP Tekken 6

Xbox 360
    None

Xbox 360 with Game License
    HRAP Konamistyle Otomedius Gorgeous
    HRAP Tekken 6

Ok, here we go.
    HRAP with Universal Mounting Bracket.

PlayStation 2
    HRAP
    HRAP SE

HRAP 2
    HRAP 2 SA

PlayStation 2 with Game License
    HRAP Capcom Fighting Jam
    HRAP Tekken 5

PlayStation 3
    HRAP 3 SA
    HRAP 3 SE

PlayStation 3 with Game License
    None

Xbox 360
    HRAP EX
    HRAP EX SA
    HRAP EX SE

Xbox 360 with Game License
    HRAP Deathsmiles
    HRAP Mushihimesama Futari

"d_mentia wrote: »

not without modification to the TE's mounting bracket

What?
    TE Mounting Bracket does not need modify.

Just replace the the VF Mounting Plate that comes with Seimitsu LS-56(-01).
    Replace the VF with Seimitsu MS Mounting Plate.

MS Mounting Plate is default on Seimitsu LS-33 and LS-55(-01).
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    I still have a 34" Wega, and it weighs exactly 200 pounds. Still love it, though.

My dad got a 50" Grand Wega for his home theatre. I loved playing games on it since it brought back memories of playing at the arcades in the late 90's when Megalo 50 cabs were pretty common here.

-KR|PromilKid

• FunkyFFunkyF Still Scrubby Joined: Posts: 300
    my button ranking:

top: sanwa obsf/n 30, ps-14g. these are easily the best buttons i've used so far. i rank them highly because its super easy to slide from hp to lp and back. the only downside is that the sanwa are too sensitive at times and the ps-14g are a bit loud.

Trying out the PS-14gs. Only like them for MvC2 right now, but prefer Sanwas for anything else. Going to give it more time before I completely write them off.

Still waiting for my LS-32-01, hoping it lives up to the hype!
    [Insert witty signature]
    Thank you very much I think Im going with the LS-55 spring over the JLF. Things going to be TIGHT

You might want to give the stock stick in the TvC SE a whirl since it's stiffer than the JLF, heck a few folks in the thread for that stick actually prefer it to the JLF.

-KR|PromilKid