HA! RI! CANE! POLIMAR! - Hurricane Polimar *TvC:UAS Thread*

RoyalFlushTZRoyalFlushTZ *Not a Ryu cosplayer!Joined: Posts: 1,446
Notable general changes in UAS
+ Can chain 2C,6C much more frequently in combos now
+ 236A/B/C combos off of 2C and 6C anywhere on the ground into charge back, forward+A [with respect to having 214+A/B/C emblem(s)]
+ Charge back, forward+A (A-version wallbounce punch) can now combo from, respectively, 2C (anywhere on screen) and 6C (in the corner).
+ Can now combo [on a standing opponent] 5C, charge back, forward+B/C without need of Baroque or assist
+ Handou Sandageri (623+attack,attack,214+attack), now allows quick pauses in between successive hits (example: 623A,[slight pause]A,[slight pause],214A)
+6C has less pushback on hit, allowing for more combo possibilities (example: ...charge back, forward+A, dash, 5B (2 hits), 5C, 2C, 6C, 623C,C,214C XX Shinkuu Kakategoma)
+ Can combo 5C,236+2 attacks (level 3 super) without need of Baroque
- Counter switch-in seems to hit a lot less now
+ During an aerial 623B/C,B/C,214B/C (like during a sj. or aerial rave), Polimar can now Baroque, JC, j.B... Great for the new "higher damage for higher elevation" combo mechanic!
+ Polimar can now combo grounded 623B/C,B/C,214B/C~Baroque, [land] 66, 2A... Midscreen.
+ In the corner, Polimar can combo 6C or 214A/B/C~B overheads into lvl.3 super.
+ In the corner, Polimar can crossup a cornered opponent with 6B.
+ 6B is can cancel into all three of Polimar's supers, and all of his specials attacks (except for charge back, forward+attack). 6B is also Baroque cancel-able.
+ Polimar can cancel 214+attack XX Any super.
+ Emblem A~214+Attack~Emblem A~214+attack... appears to gain Emblems faster than Emblem B~214+attack~Emblem B~214+attack...
+ Polimar can do j.Shinkuu Kakategoma off of an air dash and kara cancel all of his (air-dashed) jumping normals.
-If you do a variable combination (with partner alive and 3 meters for supers) with Polimar's Shinkuu Kakategoma and the grab connects, it does standard damage.
+ "Going into duck stance now has some invincibility frames (Another nice buff, but it will take some time to see people using this effectively)"*
+ "Duck stance wont get pushed away by advance guard"*
+ Can now combo Emblem A to A-version Wall bounce punch.
+ 6C may have some invincibility frames on start-up.

*= from translated partial list of changes revealed by Capcom

Stuff from CGoH that still works
+ In corner, grounded 623B,B,214B~Baroque, [land] 2A... still works
+ Aerial rave... j.B, j.B XX Shinkuu Kakategoma reset still works
+ Grounded 623B,B,214B~Baroque, 66, j.B (into reset grab super, combo grab super, or assist combo)... still works

Combos
I'll do these later
Thor/M.O.D.O.K/Viewtiful Joe
Long live the Mighty THODOK! I do stick mods, too!
youtube.com/RoyalFlush for TvC:UAS and T5DR vids

Comments

• SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    Hum it's me or because characters fall faster, you cannot air combo to handou sandageri (first two hits only), reset to shinkuu kakategoma on mid-screen like in CGoH ?

EDIT : nervermind, the timing is a bit harder i think, that's all, and I can pull it only with the C version of handou sandageri
  • Sephiroth73003Sephiroth73003 Joined: Posts: 4,264
    You can my persona combo of choice is
    5B,2B,5C,chargeattackB,dash,5B,3C,jBB,jBB, Reset super trick is you have to cancel the last j. B and do the j.BB chain pretty much as fast as possible. Works consistantly just you have to do it much quicker.
    SF3: Makoto and Ken
  • SmurvisSmurvis Spin it to win it Joined: Posts: 477
    As far as a simple combo, I've found that this works from pretty much anywhere on the screen with no symbols and only 1 level of super (but you build that super while doing the combo):

(IAD j.C or 2AA) 5B 2B 5C 2C ChargeA Punch -> Dash -> 5B 2B(2nd hit only) 5C 3C j.AABB dj.BB Air super

I was getting about 19k-20k + 12k from the super reset without Baroque, and like 28.5-29k + 12k from super reset with Baroque using 20% red life. If you start with no meter, you get that 1 bar in the middle of the air combo. 2AA starter gives it to you on like the first B of the dj.BB, and I forget where you get it if you do the IAD j.C starter.

My issue with using 623CC is that it does pretty much no damage. Not sure if they changed it from CGOH or not (just started this game on the 26th) but it's pitiful compared to jump normals. j.AABB dj.BB is a MUCH easier reset and does more damage. I guess it's good since if you have a symbol then you can get 623C off of something into Kicks, but if you were able to hit confirm into kicks you might as well just do 3C or something else into j.AABB dj.BB. I tried to add 623CC+214C at the end of the dj.BB, but they must have changed the mechanic for how the +214C functions cause I can't get it to work.

By themselves (no damage scaling from big combos) 236C into 623CC+214C using one symbol does around 7.8k. 3C jAABB djBB does like 12.5k and is stupid easy to reset off of. STUPID EASY. When you double jump, delay yourself for just a brief moment to be sure both of the dj.BB's connect.

I'm not trying to claim I know anything, cause I don't. Been playing TWO DAYS. But this combo seems really good, and there's not really a lot of information here about the UAS version. I'm sure someone here can either add to that or tell me some mistake I'm making with it (maybe certain moves prorate that I'm using too much of?) but I mean, it feels pretty solid to me. No assists, no symbols, and no baroque and you get 31k damage for a braindead easy reset anywhere on the screen with 1 super bar. And hell, you BUILD that 1 super bar while you do the combo.

Edit:
    Oh, and a couple of things to clear up why I did what I did-

5C 2C ChargeA Punch does more damage than just 5C ChargeB Punch because you can't get a ChargeB off of the 2C, too much start-up. And I wasn't able to get ChargeB to let me combo afterwards anyway. I probably just suck, but I didn't even give ChargeB a chance once I noticed it doesn't cancel from 2C properly.

dj.BB does more damage than the 623CC, and I don't think you can do 623CC+214C resets anymore, cause 214C spikes them REALLY fast compared to the start-up of the air grab.

I'm gonna post a video (or try to) around like Sunday or Monday or so. Not that this combo is hard enough to warrant you CGOH vets needing help, but I've never posted any combos, so it'll be fun. Because you can do this one with no baroque, no assist, no meter (you build the one bar that you end up using), no duck symbols, AND from anywhere on the screen (if close to the corner, just take out the dash after ChargeA Punch), I think this is pretty useful considering it can do 20k into a 12k reset. Sometimes the reset isn't 12k if you have done enough damage to activate their Guts, you'll get like 10k or 9k instead.
    Main: Putting my character selection in my signature like a scrubby dipshit
    Alt: Gief

Keep the change.
  • RoyalFlushTZRoyalFlushTZ *Not a Ryu cosplayer! Joined: Posts: 1,446
    My issue with using 623CC is that it does pretty much no damage. Not sure if they changed it from CGOH or not (just started this game on the 26th) but it's pitiful compared to jump normals.
    From my perspective, I wouldn NEVER dismiss Polimar's Handou Sandangeri. I think it's one of Polymar's most important attacks in combos. Each version of the Handou Sandageri can extend a combo with Baroque (red life shouldn't be to hard to obtain) and/or a proper assist. I'm actually thinking of making a flowchart of all the possible ways to combo off of each of the Handou Sandangeri series solo w/Baroque and assists.

Sure, if you just want to keep it simple, go for the j.B,j.B XX 360+2 attacks grab super (Shinkuu Kakategoma). However, if the time seems right, I like getting in more hits to build meter and maybe I don't want to use my bar up on a lvl.1 super until I've gained more meter to use for later.

Also, thanks to baroque renewable jumps, Polimar can do (high up in the air) 623C,C,214C~Baroque, JC, j.B...
    Hey RoyalFlush, this is Kokoronokawari from youtube who posted on your videos often.

While testing, I found j.a j.a j.b j.b superjump j.b j.b Shunkuu Kakategoma to do more damage than just using j.b into it.

I still have issues finishing Handou Sandangeri on the last hit to use successfully in combos.

It also seems you can't A -> B -> C -> {the charge punch the wall bounce, forgot name at this moment} -> Polymar Illusion (level 3) in this version anymore. Can time it after C I think but seems really strict.
  • chillindude829chillindude829 sagat LOL Joined: Posts: 148
    you can just do his standing C to level 3 now. fairly sure in the jpn version you had to use baroque or assist but now it just combos, its pretty ridiculous.
  • greglifegreglife beautiful Joined: Posts: 154
    Can someone please tell me how to get the charge punch to connect after the kicks? I'm trying to help my friend learn polimar and I can't exactly figure this out. lol
    I got techniques drippin' out my buttcheeks
    Sleep on my stomach so I don't fuck up my sheets
  • DaRabidDuckieDaRabidDuckie Happiest. Duck. Ever. Joined: Posts: 9,870 mod
    Can someone please tell me how to get the charge punch to connect after the kicks? I'm trying to help my friend learn polimar and I can't exactly figure this out. lol
    Use the A charge punch; it comes out a little faster.
    "Being degrading or insulting is not the same as being hype. Huh, I think I just solved the problem with the entire community." -- Mike Z on the FGC

Keep note of all the changes I've added to the list. New stuff keeps popping up!
    I'm unable to chain (4)6a to anything other than a 3C into air combo. When i try to dash over i usually whiff...Someone help me out?
    I'm unable to chain (4)6a to anything other than a 3C into air combo. When i try to dash over i usually whiff...Someone help me out?
    It might be good to point out that charge back, forward+A (a.k.a "A-version wallbounce punch) can be combo'ed off of any of the following attacks:
    -5C
    -2C
    -236A/B/C
    -6C (in the corner, with some semi-strict timing)
    -Emblem B

Now, after A-version wallbounce punch hits, 66 (manual dash), 5B... from here, here are some reliable follow-ups:
    -5C, 3C to air combo
    -5C, 2C, 6C, Handou Sandangeri to combo into aerial 360 super grab, assist combo, and/or corner baroque combo
    I have finally found a midscreen combo with Ippatsuman assist (which now aids in pushing the opponent in a certain direction much better now) that works perfectly with Polimar's different strength varieties of Handou Sandangeri.

Basically...:
    (optional [IAD] j.B/j.C),(basic ground stuff until we get to...)2C/6C, 623B,B,214B~BRQ~66 (for IAD) j.B, JC, j.B, JC, j.B, 623A,A(P for Ippatsuman assist)214A, (land, charge back) 5A, 5B, 5C, forward+A (for A version wallbounce punch), 66 (for ground dash) 5B, 5C...

You can end with:
    -fully combo'ed, non-reset air combo ending in 623C,C,C XX Shinkuu Kakategoma. My preferred option, especially if your Polimar has a lot of red life during the Baroque portion of the combo. Does around 40K-42K (on 10% red life).
    -air combo to grab reset
    -(if you have 3 Emblems and lead opponent to corner), 2C, 6C, 236+2 attacks (for level 3). Does around 45K (on 10% red life).

Polimar can also do similar midscreen combos with Doronjo assist.
    I will get a video up showing the combo in motion up sometime.
  • M.D.M.D. digs older chicks Joined: Posts: 4,188
    Did not know 5C combos in lvl.3 super. Got to try that out

But enough about combos. What I need help with is strategies. In Training mode, Polimar feels like a beast, but in combat, I can barely get into position to perform all those beastly combos. He has short range on his attacks, and when the opponent spends most of the time airborne, I feel as though I have to wait for then to come down so I can dish out damage. I tend to trade and/or whiff combo attempts when I try to go air-to-air. I do fairly well againist average mid-range characters, but when it comes to Zero, Soki and Tek Blade, I don't seem to have an answer for them. Any tips on playing a good Polimar?
    "I'm deeeeeaaaadd!" - Williams
    UMVC3: Shehulk/Haggar/Thor
    SSF4: Seth, Gen, Zangief
    KOFXIII: Kim Team, Ikari Warriors, Hwa/98 Kyo/Raiden
    Did not know 5C combos in lvl.3 super. Got to try that out

But enough about combos. What I need help with is strategies. In Training mode, Polimar feels like a beast, but in combat, I can barely get into position to perform all those beastly combos. He has short range on his attacks, and when the opponent spends most of the time airborne, I feel as though I have to wait for then to come down so I can dish out damage. I tend to trade and/or whiff combo attempts when I try to go air-to-air. I do fairly well againist average mid-range characters, but when it comes to Zero, Soki and Tek Blade, I don't seem to have an answer for them. Any tips on playing a good Polimar?
    I tend to play Polimar better than I can explain how to play Polimar, so first, start by watching some of my vids.

Some general strats, I can go into detail later:
    -Dashed 2C is godly. Goes under many attacks and has good ground range. Punish attacks with this thing! Learn how to 2C, Handou Sandangeri~BBQ, and you'll be doing better combos than a common Polimar resets.
    -2C/6C and 6B are essential in Polimar's ground mixup game.
    -Polimar's jumping attacks aren't the best, but are good for boxing an opponent in a corner. j.A is good as an air-to-air poke, go into combo or reset on hit confirm.
    -Best to pair Polimar with an assist that he can work off of. Ippatsuman is my favorite assist for Polimar.
    -Work on your defense, especially against Blade and Zero. Pushblock to 2C to combo goodness when you find an opening.
  • DiendDiend Play to learn. Joined: Posts: 106
    Dayum the Polymar forum doesn't have much love going on, but good stuff to you RoyalFlush for the informative goodness. Brilliant showcase of your skills in the videos as well. Never seen 2C being so good.
  • XaolinXaolin Devils Never Cry Joined: Posts: 166
    Here's video proof that Polly's 6C has invincibility frames in the beginning spin motion:

Start at 2:03, don't mind the skill of the Polly player lol. It's happened to me before but I thought it was an online fluke. Now 6C is more broken lol, Megacrash bait?
    In the words of the great anime Hokuto no Ken - "You are already dead"
    Here's video proof that Polly's 6C has invincibility frames in the beginning spin motion:

Start at 2:03, don't mind the skill of the Polly player lol. It's happened to me before but I thought it was an online fluke. Now 6C is more broken lol, Megacrash bait?

This has happened to me as well lol. Tekkaman opponent Megacrashed my 6C and ate the Handou Sandageri into baroque rape. Friend just looked at me and said "Polymar need nerf."
  • RotaniborRotanibor @ROTANIBOR Joined: Posts: 202
    So I worked out a Polimar combo using a Joe the Condor assist, one meter and baroque that does about 46 Billion. I recorded it for everybody's benefit.

Good thing about it is you can start it at about 3/4 from the other end of the screen, and it should push them all the way into the corner for the BBQ part of the combo. You can also just straight into 3c launch for less damage if you don't have any BBQ at the time.

Going to mess with trying to insert baroque earlier in the combo and seeing what kind of damage you get off of a level 3 at the end of the corner combo next.
  • Atb_555Atb_555 www.neoempire.com Joined: Posts: 1,536
    Thats quite neat! Good stuff
    Nose picking is one of life's greatest treasures...
    So I worked out a Polimar combo using a Joe the Condor assist, one meter and baroque that does about 46 Billion. I recorded it for everybody's benefit.

Good thing about it is you can start it at about 3/4 from the other end of the screen, and it should push them all the way into the corner for the BBQ part of the combo. You can also just straight into 3c launch for less damage if you don't have any BBQ at the time.

Going to mess with trying to insert baroque earlier in the combo and seeing what kind of damage you get off of a level 3 at the end of the corner combo next.
    Very nice. I didn't know Polimar could combo that way with Condor Joe assist-- I always thought it brought the opponent up too high.
  • chillindude829chillindude829 sagat LOL Joined: Posts: 148
    interesting, i use a similar polymar/joe combo except i do the wallbounce before the assist. i think both methods end up w/ similar damage but i might do some testing on it
  • XaolinXaolin Devils Never Cry Joined: Posts: 166
    My corner combo, feel free to call me noob lol, view it in HD if ya can

http://www.youtube.com/user/musicgetto?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/gfNxfnDcX6c
    In the words of the great anime Hokuto no Ken - "You are already dead"
    My corner combo, feel free to call me noob lol, view it in HD if ya can

http://www.youtube.com/user/musicgetto?feature=mhw4#p/a/u/0/gfNxfnDcX6c

Great quality, and seeing as how this ( ) is the best i'm capable of doing at the moment, I can't really call you a noob for that combo you pulled off.
  • B.A.L.B.A.L. Professional n00b Joined: Posts: 32
    Anyone got any tips on who to use as a second char with polymar? Currently Im using viewtiful joe but im just not getting the hang of him, i love how they've got cool assists en hyper combinations together, but I just cant be awesome with viewtiful joe. I'd like to play someone with easy combo's such as polymar (im not using charge punch or hanzou, more basic razor kicks bbq launcher air 360 combo's), any tips?

Also, what do you guys do against PTX? I cant for the life of me figure out what to do against him, apart from shinkuu kakategoma which due to its long startup is still pretty damn hard to land if you ask me
    Anyone got any tips on who to use as a second char with polymar? Currently Im using viewtiful joe but im just not getting the hang of him, i love how they've got cool assists en hyper combinations together, but I just cant be awesome with viewtiful joe. I'd like to play someone with easy combo's such as polymar (im not using charge punch or hanzou, more basic razor kicks bbq launcher air 360 combo's), any tips?

Also, what do you guys do against PTX? I cant for the life of me figure out what to do against him, apart from shinkuu kakategoma which due to its long startup is still pretty damn hard to land if you ask me
    I use V.Joe/Polimar as a secondary team, but while Viewtiful Joe can go well with Polimar, but I still think that V.Joe has more to benefit from Polimar assist than vice-versa.

Use that charge attack wallbounce punch (A-version is the best because it is the most combo-able)! Inexcusable! Seriously, though, Polimar's wallbounce should be a staple in many of his combos.

Polimar really can go with most characters, but Polimar/Ippatsuman is still the best (biased) team combination for Polimar. Polimar gets coverage and excellent combos from Ippatsuman assist, Ippatsuman gets Polimar assist for some good setups, combos, and pressure, and both have grab tricks that just makes the team perfect.

Against PTX: pretty much save Polimar assist and have your first character do much of the fighting (very character-dependent, since some characters shine against giants, while others can't seem to land any good hits). Once you lose your first character and only have Polimar left, prepare to do lots of blocking. For offense, just rely on Polimar's IAD j.B and IAD j.C. You can also try his grounded strings into 6B cross up, but use sparingly (Polimar won't allow go through giants with 6B). Pay close attention to the PTX's red life. If it doesn't have red life and does any grounded attack non-baroque canceled, go in for the grounded grab super. Try to build up emblems and meter for level 3 super (which has invincible start-up).
    Ah yeah I've seen your v.joe/polymar vids on youtube, now that's some high level play! But it's exactly as you say, v Joe has a lot of use for polymar's assist, but not the other way around. I can use Polymar as a pretty solid char atm, but with v joe I'm not getting much further than basic shenanigans. I think he's just not the character for me. About the charge wallpunch, I know they can really extend any polymar combo, but I'm still having troubles with basic combo's as it is, TvC is my first versus game (never played CvS or MvC) and I'm playing on pad, and really getting the charge punch into your game is kinda tricky if you ask me.

Thanks for the tip about Ippatsunman, I think I will give him a go some time soon, he seemed like a pretty solid char when I tried him, and especially his projectile is something I could really use as a Polymar player.

Didn't know polymar's level 3 has invincible startup! :O Sounds like a pretty good weapon against PTX, especially since charging emblems shouldnt be too hard against those slow moving giants. The only problem is gonna be getting the bar up to level 3, but I guess I just need to go easy on mega crashing and keep my attacks pretty much limited to kakategoma and the level 3. Looking forward to the next match already :P

Here's a vid of my play style btw, it's on a small TvC tournament here in the Netherlands (I became 3rd, whoohoo!), but note the TvC scene isn't exactly sprawling here so it's not real high level play :)

(me against 4th place, some failed antics with v Joe and I was being way too unsafe with charging the emblems, for the rest this is basically my level at the moment)
    Just keep practicing with the pad. I'm a pad player myself (GC Analog, hate the dpad) and I find myself able to pull off the more technical combos with ease. Getting that charge wallbounce in is a key part of Polymar's game, so you best be getting to the Hyperbolic Time Chamber.
    I'm using the Wii Classic Pad, the d-pad is pretty decent, wouldnt wanna try out the analog pad tough. It should be doable, I just need to get it into my game. :P Guess I do need to spend some more time in training mode.
  • seasofcheese929seasofcheese929 Sonic Boob! Joined: Posts: 354
    In an air combo, Jun can do her bomb super, and then DHC into the drill after the 4th hit for insane damage
    I have a sheep doing roofing over at my house, come and drop in. We'll put on Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese.
    ^ This is how I combo into Joe's Six Cannon.

EDIT: Had to fix my statement. What I meant to say was: IIRC Polimar can get the full amount of hits with Drill Super off Roll's assist after Lightening Legs. Roll can also DHC with her broom super afterwards.
  • seasofcheese929seasofcheese929 Sonic Boob! Joined: Posts: 354
    I've been messing with the team Morrigan / Polimar. I like Polimar's assist for Morrigan because it keeps them in block stun for a long time, and then she can either go low with 5A or high with the dash overhead for a nice 50/50 mixup.

Does a fireball assist like Morrigan's help out Polimar at all?
    I have a sheep doing roofing over at my house, come and drop in. We'll put on Zeppelin and eat cheddar cheese.
    ^ I use it to combo into his lvl. 3 super after Katana Kyaku.

Speaking of Katana Kyaku, funny thing happened the other day when me and my friends were playing on college campus. My firend's Tekkaman was able to throw Polimar after the first kick of the move. Don't know if this has been mentioned before or this any other character can do it. Polimar had him in the corner when it happened.

Speaking of Katana Kyaku, funny thing happened the other day when me and my friends were playing on college campus. My firend's Tekkaman was able to throw Polimar after the first kick of the move. Don't know if this has been mentioned before or this any other character can do it. Polimar had him in the corner when it happened.
    Well, most blocked mixup attempts usually succumb to high-priority grab range, anyways. Mixups usually triumph over too much guarding, however. With Polimar's Emblem Stance hardly being affected by pushblock and has some invincibility, I just keep going for mixups until I get a solid hit it, then combo with wallbounce punch or handou sandangeri goodness.
  • RedAndBlueThemeRedAndBlueTheme Pro Button Masher Joined: Posts: 13
    Use that charge attack wallbounce punch (A-version is the best because it is the most combo-able)! Inexcusable! Seriously, though, Polimar's wallbounce should be a staple in many of his combos.

This is something that I'm having a lot of trouble with and I can't seem to get it right. When I do the charge wallbounce attack with the 2 fists, I can't really dash afterwards to continue a combo. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Something else that I've also been wondering is: what attack do you follow up with after you dash in?
    Welcome to the Tanden Engine
  • ChibiManaChibiMana Joined: Posts: 273
    Polimar's 6A has never done me any good. I've seen RoyalFlush use it in matches with great results but it seems like button mashers just stop it :/. I feel like I need to incorporate it though >_<
  • La(RENCE)La(RENCE) Joined: Posts: 389
    This is something that I'm having a lot of trouble with and I can't seem to get it right. When I do the charge wallbounce attack with the 2 fists, I can't really dash afterwards to continue a combo. Does anyone have any tips for this?

Something else that I've also been wondering is: what attack do you follow up with after you dash in?

right after the wallbounce animation begins just start tapping forward as much as you can until you dash.

I like to follow with 2b, flush swears by 5b lol