Official HORI RAP Premium VLX (VEWLIX) - VX (360); V3 (PS3) - Arcade Stick Thread

Comments

• BraintrashBraintrash Joined: Posts: 41
    Take a look at your right hand.

That's basically my point. :-)
    Vewlix way fits perfectly while the Sega way ask me to "force" on my wrist for fitting.
    ·
  • ChadChad Joined: Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    Amazing.
    ·
    Shoryuken is becoming more and more friendly, I see... :-(
    ·
  • sikwiditsikwidit Joined: Posts: 2,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    hahaha actually if you just put your ring, middle finger and index finger down on at table you can see it
    unless your middle finger is the same size as your ring finger this should be obvious.
    You actually have to force your wrist more with a vewlix unless of course you already have your wrist accustomed to being forced for your vewlix that you believe that you are actually forcing it for the astro.

The only reason most manufacters are using vewlix now is because you can use the layout with more games and an 8 button vewlix is more aesthetically pleasing than an astro 8 button, If you use astro, you are probably not using it with 8 buttons.
    ·
    I must have special wrists. ;-)
    Because, my middle finger is obviously bigger than my other fingers (especially needed when riding), but, with the Vewlix I can keep my wrist right (no need to bend it) while I can't with the Astro.
    I'll try to picture it (8 is my hand, both slashes are my wrist).

Astro:

8 8
    | |
    / \

Vewlix:
    8 8
    / \
    / \

Obviously, on the Vewlix, my hands (the 8) are inclined the way the slashes are, which means my hand remains in line with my arm, and so, I don't have to put an angle on my wrist.

That's why I find Vewlix more comfortable and always wonder why Astro is more popular (and also why I rather like the VLX than the legendary Saturn stick, although I would love to be able to change panels on the VLX like the Saturn one; that's the only feature I miss on the VLX).
    ·
  • marquezsfmarquezsf Joined: Posts: 504
    hey i was wondering if any of you guys would know what type of paint i could use to cover up a scratch on my stick thx :)

phot5o.jpg
    Stream http://www.twitch.tv/marquezsf/new
    XBL MGInfinate
    PSN MarquezSF
    ·
  • blklightning21blklightning21 Ibuki and Vega Joined: Posts: 1,494
    Nice I can wait to use it on one of my VLXs. Would I be able to order it spread out? meaning the mount plate more towards the left?

Yes you would it would just be a custom order but you can order a custom layout however you want it as soon as they are available for purchase.
    Modding solutions for you Hori RAP V3/VX SAs now available!!!!!
    Lightning Label Customs -> Arcade Sticks and Custom Metal Control Panels(TE, Hrap, V3, Custom, etc)
    The Game Surgeons -> Game System Repairs
    Thread
    http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/project-llc-metal-replacement-panels-madcatz-hori-qanba-customs-and-more.126522/
    ·
  • bobalobbobalob Joined: Posts: 15
    is there a way to dual mod the ps3 version to xbox360? i heard its harder.
    ·
  • jdm714jdm714 Blue Blue Glass Moon Joined: Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭
    Yes, I can do it.
    J&J SoCal Modding: http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/113434/
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
  • bobalobbobalob Joined: Posts: 15
    Oh ok. Then who on here is willing to sell their vlx? I prefer 360 but ps3 will do if the price is right
    ·
  • JudicasJudicas Joined: Posts: 1
    I'm trying to sell my ps3 vlx at the moment. Sold all my ps3 fighting games and rebrought on xbox 360... just need to get rid of the stick before I can get a new xbox 360 one.
    ·
  • ExtremeYoshiFanExtremeYoshiFan Joined: Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    I'm partially inclined to not answer your question for the 12 year old linux users spelling of Microsoft.
    360 pcbs are 360 pcbs, you'll have no issues.
    Just be happy that he didn't write W1nd0wz3.
    That's basically my point. :)
    Vewlix way fits perfectly while the Sega way ask me to "force" on my wrist for fitting.
    The Sega layout for player two is actually a lot more comfortable. Just take a look at it on the screen for a minute, feel it out with your hand. It's the same layout, but it's rotated a bit. I actually prefer player one's layout, but I don't use the last two buttons.

sega2_s.png
    ·
    I still rather like the Vewlix one.
    But maybe is it because of the way I use my stick?
    ·
  • ExtremeYoshiFanExtremeYoshiFan Joined: Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭
    I still rather like the Vewlix one.
    But maybe is it because of the way I use my stick?
    Could be, it honestly is just a matter of personal preference.
    ·
    Indeed, but I am curious about the technical reasons of this.
    Maybe that could be my next research subject. ;-)
    ·
    Ok, received mine this morning:

photo8ss.th.jpg

I just L-O-V-E it.
    In fact, I sold all other sticks I had (still a brand new HRAP 1 for PS2 to sell which will soon appear on eBay) because this one is just the best stick ever made; and I tried them all. In fact, the only thing that's better than it is a Vewlix cabinet.

Coming soon is a Hori bag, even though it can't also transport a wood plate, which is kind of a disappointment.

I also ordered a Kitty for modding, but already used it for some playing (as pictured) and I was just hooked. Also, I am looking for replacement panels for custom art (for this one, Ithink I will give up plexi for metal panels with vinyl prints), but I think they will soon come to us, so that's fine. And I might even go for some Sanwa buttons changing, but I am not in an hurry.

For now, just two questions remain:

1. Not a question, but I hope to be able to use it for playing Bayonetta like I used Te sticks for that before.

2. I saw someone with a Spark; knowing I will use a Kitty board, I am curious about what it would need to work. I never bothered with that before, but that stick is so awesome I feel like I need to upgrade myself too. :-P
    ·
    Since this is my stick I removed the xbox logo and used my own company logo(EliteRC - We Know RC.)
    To do this just use an X-acto blade and slowly pry up the clear dome button, its stuck on with clear adhesive so not too hard to remove, you'll then notice that the xbox logo is applied on like a sticker, remove it then print your own logo and you'll have your own custom Guide/Home button :wgrin:

I am curious about this button. Is it a part coming from Sanwa?
    ·
  • Jae The OneJae The One NoctisLuna Joined: Posts: 1,338
    i have a vlx that has a ton of deep scratches on the top panel. i don't know if this is something available but is there a way i can buy a replacement panel.
    twitch.tv/noctisluna
    ·
  • Jae The OneJae The One NoctisLuna Joined: Posts: 1,338
    VLX Test panel came today. Looks pretty nice except it is 8 buttons at the moment hahaha. Will mount joysticks and do tests next week sometime
    would you be willing to see your original red panel?
    twitch.tv/noctisluna
    ·
    See it for Jae, and sell it to me. ;-)
    ·
    The VLX is mine, that I let blklightning21 use for prototype and test.
    blklightning21 can cut it up and run it over and throw away.
    But I am not letting him sell to anyone.
    Visit J&J SoCal Modding's Blog for review of new Arcade Parts: http://jjsocalmodding.blogspot.com
    ·
    Too bad.
    BTW, love your avatar.
    ·
  • NotANoob81NotANoob81 Shinkiro Crackhead Eyes Joined: Posts: 863 ✭✭
    I just want to let it be known to all who don't know, the Hori VLX is still the king of consumer arcade sticks. No other manufacturer has put the same level of engineering and quality components into a stick and I don't think anyone ever will.

That is all.
    Rocking a CRT display until something better comes along.
    ·
    True dat.
    ·
  • COMMONSENSECOMMONSENSE Veni Vidi Vici Joined: Posts: 564
    Where could I find/buy one from any ideas?
    ·
  • the mossad manthe mossad man EVIL MAKOTO Joined: Posts: 1,467
    I just want to let it be known to all who don't know, the Hori VLX is still the king of consumer arcade sticks. No other manufacturer has put the same level of engineering and quality components into a stick and I don't think anyone ever will.

That is all.
    I just got a VX SA... Never saw a VLX. How close are they in terms of quality? Only reason I didn't get a VLX is because I don't want to carry it around all over the place lol. Its so big. But if you're saying its that good i might just have to get one...
    "I call this the lowest common denominator theory"..." you want to do as little as possible necessary to still win. And rather than an embarrassment, this is a major skill."

S.Kill
    ·
  • Andrex261Andrex261 Dr. Ryu Joined: Posts: 50
    I have one (previously have a TE-S and a RAP V3 SA) and theres no competitor for this stick in therms of quality
    SSF4 AE Main: Ryu
    Arcade Stick: Hori RAP 3 Premium VLX
    - Dr. Ryu -
    ·
  • scalewormscaleworm old just means i've played more games than you Joined: Posts: 49
    My fav stick of ALL of my sticks (and I have a butt load of them too).
    ·
  • BeWrongBeWrong Hori V3 all the way! Joined: Posts: 301
    anyone knows the specs and diameters of the case wanted to make one.
    BeWrong :)
    ·
  • JayduckyJayducky Stupid Questions---> Joined: Posts: 672 ✭✭
    Im looking at the possibility of installing an MC Cthulhu in my VLX. Has anyone here Disassembled the daughter board of the VLX to solder lines to the PS home and select buttons? That seems to be my only hurdle. I'm not even sure how to access the daughter board of the VLX. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
    Step 1: Put a hole in the box.
    ·
  • Kuya_JoeKuya_Joe AKA BlindWithOneArm Joined: Posts: 2,816 ✭✭
    Im looking at the possibility of installing an MC Cthulhu in my VLX. Has anyone here Disassembled the daughter board of the VLX to solder lines to the PS home and select buttons? That seems to be my only hurdle. I'm not even sure how to access the daughter board of the VLX. Anyone have any knowledge of this?
    I thought there are signal points on the pcb for that... It's been awhile since I opened a vlx
    But it wasn't good enough right? Because it wasn't cleared by you lol...
    -YESMASTER...
    "She doesn't need a mouth to tell me how cute she is. "
    JDM714 epic...
    ·
  • theBAYsicstheBAYsics '93 til infinity Joined: Posts: 642

to remove the back place you first have to remove the 5 black screws on the bottom. the black plate can now be lifted up like an "L". from here you can put the vlx down on its face and have the back plate folded out so you can remove the daughterboard.
    ·
  • JayduckyJayducky Stupid Questions---> Joined: Posts: 672 ✭✭
    I thought there are signal points on the pcb for that... It's been awhile since I opened a vlx

So, you don't need to remove the daughter board to wire to PS home and select? It can be done on the main PCB? Does anyone know what points on the main PCB that would be?
    Step 1: Put a hole in the box.
    ·
    vlxa.jpg
    ·
  • rockphantomrockphantom Fight the good fight Joined: Posts: 74
    Is the gray start button on the V3 a Sanwa button or is it Hori stock?
    ·
  • ReversalReversal Joined: Posts: 202
    All of the buttons on the V3/VX are Sanwa.
    ·
  • RoboKrikitRoboKrikit nuclear Joined: Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭
    It is made by Sanwa, exclusive to V3-SA.
    ·
  • rockphantomrockphantom Fight the good fight Joined: Posts: 74
    Thanks for the quick replies!
    ·
  • jayehsjayehs Joined: Posts: 54
    Does anyone know the credibility or how secure the site mentioned in post #1016? gmarket.co.kr

It is an ebay company but I am still hesitant. Also, if I were to pay the ridiculous price on that site for a 360 VLX, would there be any issues that would arise because of region? I mean, Mi¢ro$oft plays well with other Mi¢ro$oft right?

Gmarket itself is legit. One of the largest in Korea. Online shopping in general i find is miles ahead in Korea.
    ·
  • VPCopVPCop Joined: Posts: 3
    I have a HORI RAP Premium VLX stick for the XBox 360 for sale. The stick is in perfect condition and I still have all the original packaging which is also in excellent condition. I am buying a PojectGiantSword stick so I need to sell this one. I live in the Chicago area and can also put up the stick on eBay for sale. Anybody interested?
    ·
  • Titan_XTitan_X 無駄 だ!!! Joined: Posts: 195
    I have a HORI RAP Premium VLX stick for the XBox 360 for sale...

Might want to delete your post and head over to trading outlet, bud... Selling stuff here in Tech Talk will give you a fast ticket to infraction city.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?threads/info-thread-rules-faqs-and-tutorials-inside-no-buying-selling-in-tech-talk.81882/

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.php?forums/trading-outlet.341/
    ~Mike (Titan_X)
    'When I first played Street Fighter II, I decided against Zangief because he always lost on the demonstration screen' – Daishi Odashima
    ·
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,492
    they won't let him sale a vlx since he just has two posts
    ·
    I already Reported him in the first minute.
    Now I just wait.

Why you be nice and warn him for?
    Let him get hit with the trouble.
    ·
  • chuuchuu Fan of the female form Joined: Posts: 3,492
    lol...i was "nice" that's a first...
    ·
  • d3vd3v Slide Grab Gyakunitaku Kick Joined: Posts: 26,950 mod
    Warning issues.

Please remember that you are only allowed to sell in the trading outlet, and that you need at least 50 posts to do so. Try to go around that by trying to sell anywhere else will only get you warned and eventually banned.
    For me, SF4 got fighting games backward - combos are supposed to be easy and reversals are supposed to be hard.
    -Mike_Z

·
  • VPCopVPCop Joined: Posts: 3
    My bad, well now I konw. Thanks for the heads up.
    ·
  • ThisIsMessatsuThisIsMessatsu Joined: Posts: 191
    Anyone trying to sell their PS3 VLX? if so PM me.
    ·
  • mongchimongchi Joined: Posts: 13
    I just got a VX SA... Never saw a VLX. How close are they in terms of quality? Only reason I didn't get a VLX is because I don't want to carry it around all over the place lol. Its so big. But if you're saying its that good i might just have to get one...
    In order, I got the HRAP3, Mad Catz TE, HRAP EX-SE, V3-SA and VX-SA, then the VLX.
    It took a bit for me to get used to when I first got it, I found it felt hollow. It has a very good stable weight, but when hitting buttons the case felt hollow. I think it has to do with the fact there aren't any support posts anywhere under the panel, only the hinge and edges of it connect it to the case. But as I said, the weight it has keeps it very stable, even without the extra wooden slab you can put on the bottom. I also love how wide it is. All the other sticks mentioned are wide enough to only reach about halfway on my thighs on either side (I sit with my feet slightly wider than shoulder width) whereas the VLX covers all and feels sturdier for me. Its more on my lap than in between my legs. I recently dusted off and played with the HRAP3 and V3-SA and found I now wholly prefer the VLX. Plus that shiny Viewlex finish is ridiculously pretty. Also, I was able to mod my VLX with a PS360 without any irreversible mods. All the PCB connectors made it very easy to fit the PS360 with them, and allow me to swap the original PCB back in with minimal effort.

However, if the VLX were never introduced, I think I would be sticking to my V3-SA and VX-SA. My friend actually gifted me a V3 after I got my VLX, which I fitted with all Sanwa. I just keep one because it's very cute with an SNES button color layout.
    ·
  • FreeswayFreesway Yuuuuup Joined: Posts: 335
    I've had my VLX for a while now and now the door housing the cord won't stay shut. Do you guys have any tips on how to fix this? One person told me use some medical tape at the sides of top of the door but that doesn't seem like a long term fix.
    "On my own dick like I'm layin' on my stomach"

http://www.last.fm/user/freeway4885
    ·
  • NewGenNewGen aka SUPERDAVE Joined: Posts: 546
    you sure the cord compartment door is in properly?
    ·