The Official Post your Arcade Cabinet Thread!!

Comments

• drunkninja42drunkninja42 My Little CvS Joined: Posts: 1,695
    That's my dream setup. Especially if I had the cash for Cave PCBs.

Yeah, I can thank good ol' Uncle Sam for that one. Normally I wouldn't spend ~$300 on a single game, but I love Ibara and hate how blurry the PS2 version looks.

Despite owning that, I'm still thinking of getting a 2L12B panel and putting the screen horizontal so I can use it for SF, TvC, and such, maybe deal with having shmups in yoko for a while. If only I had the cash for another cab...
    ·
  • EVAWINGZEROEVAWINGZERO Slacktivismist Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 2,223 ✭✭
    @ Hanzo, I like the CP idea you did. I am contemplating picking up an UMK3 cab. Always my Favorite one.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    [UMVC3 - A Button, B Button, C Button + S]
    [MK9 - Scorpion, Freddy Krueger]
    ·
  • black shoemakerblack shoemaker black hatmaker Joined: Posts: 995 ✭✭
    I wish I had a boar that would magically be used as an ST PCB. Although, I have a couple of MVS cartridges that I got from my local Game Trader.
    jerb
    ·
  • Tim StaticTim Static O - H - I - O Joined: Posts: 4,586 mod
    Tim I love ya and no homo intended.

My cabs, not the pretiest ones here but I love them:

Actually I have boars for: SF II CE, Killer Instinct 2, SSF II Turbo, SF EX, MK I rev 3.0, MK II rev.3.1, UMK3 rev.1.2 and MK 4 rev.3.0

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/mkkhanzohasashi/arcade.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/mkkhanzohasashi/arcade2.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/mkkhanzohasashi/arcades2.jpg

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t186/mkkhanzohasashi/arcades1.jpg

Pedro, your my hero (no homo! lol)

take care my friend, and tell Rhodick i said HI!!
    Follow me on Twitter ;www.Twitter.com/Tim_Static

·
    Posted this on my worklog thread.

101_1116.jpg

Getting so close to being finished. I am going to redo the black. Hoping to get it done for the launch of SSF4.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    ·
  • equlizerequlizer Joined: Posts: 160
    Looks like you were doing something else with that straw and white stuff :rolleyes:
    ·
    Looks like you were doing something else with that straw and white stuff :rolleyes:

haha thats a Bic Pen and a Bag of screws for the Cab. That really made me laugh though
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    ·
  • mikeidgemikeidge Joined: Posts: 564
    heres an older cab i had...
    ·
    current one.....but terrible pic. this is my pride and joy. will try to take a better pic soon.
    ·
    and this one i am trying to sell actually. looks cool none the less. i have no idea what game the side art is from. ive been thinking about painting it black and hunting down a capcom CP overlay.
    ·
    oh the memories..... whenever i walked into an arcade in the 90's, this is the marquee i was looking for.
    ·
  • KajoqKajoq Tenraiha Joined: Posts: 919
    Finally got around to finishing up my newer cab. Monitor on this thing is toooooo good. iPhone pic doesn't do it justice.

24513_797025951570_12900128_43310305_5977325_n.jpg

Now I just need a place big enough that I can have both cabs in operation at once... Currently my other cab is out in the garage
    <mef> kajoq your leilei is like knife
    <O-Bee> Mr. Kajoq you have very funky leilei. good vs. thx
    ·
  • Saint Gut FreeSaint Gut Free Shadow Government Joined: Posts: 678
    and this one i am trying to sell actually. looks cool none the less. i have no idea what game the side art is from. ive been thinking about painting it black and hunting down a capcom CP overlay.

I am going to say Bad Dudes.
    Think you've got what it takes to be an assassin?
    ·
  • sarconussarconus Keeping it classy Joined: Posts: 114
    Hey everyone, i just wanted to share my new project i have been working on. Will be devoted to Super Street Fighter 4! :)

IMG_0030.JPG
    This is the wonder state it was in before a good cleaning and a new coat of paint.

IMG_0031.JPG
    Another view of the rusted control panel.

IMG_0034.JPG
    Disassemble!

IMG_0066.JPG

IMG_0063.JPG
    Almost there! Xbox 360 running in cabinet with sound. New control panel, overlay, sticks, and buttons have been ordered. I will be working on hacking gamestop controller for the CP.

SSF4Marquee.jpg
    This will be the new marquee :)
    ·
  • bigsexyc420bigsexyc420 Keystone II Joined: Posts: 446
    thats bad ass!
    "Contra on the DS makes me want to punch myself in the balls"
    -Monte
    ·
  • ericleroiericleroi Joined: Posts: 504 ✭✭
    The marqee looks great! Interested to know how you did the artwork as I need something similar but with regular A4 dimensions for my cab.
    ·
  • megaultrasupermegaultrasuper MAME junkie Joined: Posts: 827
    Thanks for the heads up.

So basically the only options for authentic 3rd strike on a cabinet is to hook up a computer with Mame or get the original board?

The PS2 or Xbox versions of 3rd Strike would be preferable to a MAME setup in my opinion. Although there are slight speed and gameplay differences from the PCB and the console releases I would still prefer the stability of a console over the varied nature of a pc.

With a pc you have to deal with:

-input delay

-inaccuracy of emulators. Although everyone says "a emulator IS the game!" that's not exactly true. Emulation is never perfect, and is nowhere near as well documented or approved for competition as a console release.

-Emulator slowdown/speed-up. See above. Nearly every emulator runs at a different speed from the arcade, and that can make a big difference to me. With programs running in the background there is always the issue of random things happening to affect performance in an emulator, and even cause it to crash. This is far less likely on a console.

In the past I owned a MAME cab:
    image6n.th.jpg
    image1xx.th.jpg

It has now been taken apart for modification. I sold the 19" Tri-sync monitor I had in there during a moment of desperation and now I'm looking for a replacement. I think I'm going to attempt to refurbish the original monitor by doing a cap kit on the chassis, and replacing the tube from an RCA television to get rid of the burn in. I'll lose the EGA/VGA functionality, but I never used those much anyway.

Different times I've wanted to replace the comp sticks and buttons with Japanese stuff, but I think I'll leave it alone for now. Maybe once I get the other stuff in line.

I had an Ultimarc I-pac in there, and it was pretty good. Extremely easy to work with. I have heard it dropped inputs, but that never seemed the case with me. I sold it along with my monitor. In the future I plan on adding multi-console cthulhu support for ps2/3, and also DC support. I should be able to connect it all together with D-sub connectors.

I think I'm getting kind of bored with MAME. I have played hundreds and hundreds of hours of classic arcade games in the last few years, and I'm ready to move on to a new era of gaming. I'd like to to get into the stuff that came out in the late 90s. Most of those games are not emulated well enough for my liking, and the console versions have been released in near arcade perfect form.

I'm not really interested in collecting boards in any form. It's too expensive for me, and the allure of consoles/emulation is too strong.

My other two projects:

01016a.th.jpg
    Rampage Cabinet. Probably going to be MAME'd for a friend into a fighter cab and sold.

01214a.th.jpg

Ms. Pac-Man. I'm thinking of turing this into a dedicated vertical cab and installing a joystick+3 buttons.
    ·
  • GmegblnGmegbln Joined: Posts: 4
    Seeing this thread makes me regret passing on a SFII Cabinet for less than $50. I should have made room for it!
    Here's my current cabinet, good ol' Astro City. Currently has an Ibara PCB inside, but I also have a SCART-JAMMA adapter so I can use it with my consoles as well.

The things I'd do for an Astro City setup like yours...
    ·
    @ sacronus - Bad Ass man, Love those Cabs so much
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    ·
  • imtonyimtony Joined: Posts: 257
    I was wondering how hard is it to replace a monitor on an arcade cabinet? I was thinking about picking this up
    http://batonrouge.craigslist.org/vgm/1669878052.html
    and was wondering how much would it run me to put MvC2 on there? Or how hard it would be to put a dreamcast in it and let it play MvC2 or a PS2 with HDLoader?
    ·
  • TetsuosanTetsuosan Watahh Joined: Posts: 1,708
    I was wondering how hard is it to replace a monitor on an arcade cabinet? I was thinking about picking this up
    and was wondering how much would it run me to put MvC2 on there? Or how hard it would be to put a dreamcast in it and let it play MvC2 or a PS2 with HDLoader?

I wouldn't recommend you replacing the monitor yourself if you don't have the experience with it. You can get hurt really bad or worst kill yourself.
    [SIZE=12px]www.twitch.tv/dontblowthis[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]www.dontblowthis.com[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=12px]www.twitter.com/dontblowthis[/SIZE]
    ·
  • CicadaCicada NO, YOU CANNOT. Joined: Posts: 1,392
    can't pass up a chance to show off my handiwork -- i'm proud of it :D

IMG_7003.JPG

i have a worklog/thread in this forum as well, with tons of photos. I know someone asked for sketchup files -- and if i can ever find them , i will definitely have them up. they're not accurate/to scale, as i just used them to draw out how i wanted certain components to look. [CPanel, display/rounded top, etc]
    Inland Empire/SoCal SF4 Training: http://forums.shoryuken.com/showthread.php?p=7446178
    500px.com/bgateb
    ·
  • fokkusuhaundofokkusuhaundo true bubble struggle Joined: Posts: 695
    I'm loving the TE Vewlix Cab. Great job!
    youはshock!
    PSN: nxsr
    ·
  • megaultrasupermegaultrasuper MAME junkie Joined: Posts: 827

This would be a pretty easy job.

Learn how to discharge the monitor first and safely remove it. It's not that hard or dangerous, but it's important you review everything thoroughly beforehand. Or even better ask the owner to remove it for you before hand and see if you can get a discount for the cab minus the broken monitor!

Once you've done that then you can add a new monitor. This cab is big enough that you could fit a 19" PC monitor in there without having to remove the case. You may have to put in a little shelf to set it on, but that's not a big deal. If you're feeling more ambitious you can source a 20" pc monitor, remove the plastic housing, and install it on the mounts for the arcade monitor. IF you do this then the result will be fantastic.

To hook up your new monitor all you have to do is plug it into the NAOMI via the VGA port, or buy a VGA cable for your dreamcast. I would recommend the dreamcast since you can play a wider variety of games more easily (burned games!).

To get controls you'll need to hack some DC pads and connect them to the controls. Again not a big deal.

I could get MVC2 and every other DC fighter running in this cab for less than $150.
    ·
    Thanks, i managed to snag it off ebay locally for an awesome price. I am almost done hacking the first madcatz pad. MANNNNNNNNNNN so much work involved to get this thing up and running. I spent 8 hours last night just to solder the connectors to 25pin. Of course not having any flux didnt help my cause but heads up to anyone planning on doing the same.

@ sacronus - Bad Ass man, Love those Cabs so much
    ·
  • JazzJazz Pagua Sonfa Joined: Posts: 3,085
    sarconus this is scrubby as hell but how do you (and some others) run xbox/sf4 in your cabs?

What connections/devices are in use here?
    I think some ppl should join the madden community
    ·
  • Cobrakai22Cobrakai22 Joined: Posts: 107
    My New Astro

Last week I picked up a New Astro Locally (miracle BTW lol)

Cabinet was in perfect condition, no cracks/dents/major damage.
    Except a rough paint job/ a lot of stickers/ in need of a new CP.

oldastro.jpg

So after a week of sanding/priming/painting/clear coating, and a photoshop of the astro city CP I ordered from Akihabara Shop (Hope it comes soon lol)...

I have this:

NewAstro.jpg

I originally wanted to try and get it close to the original color, but I figured why not flip the color scheme. Light color on the bezel and dark on the body.

I am very pleased with the finish and color, just need my CP and I want to hook a Jpac to it also and it will be a great addition with my Custom Vewlix in my small apartment lmao!

**BTW - Anyone know where I can get a plexi marquee for the top, it dosent have to be OG can be repro. So far my search online has been unsuccessful.
    ·
  • R1V3R5R1V3R5 Cinnabon! Joined: Posts: 62
    You bought your cab! Awesome! Looks great.
    ·
    Thanks for the help R1V3R5, so glad i went with it!
    ·
  • drunkninja42drunkninja42 My Little CvS Joined: Posts: 1,695
    This guy on Arcade Otaku sells repro marquee holders for various cabinets (you'll need to have a registered account there to see the topic):

http://forum.arcadeotaku.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7179

He's in UK, so shipping may be a tad expensive though.
    ·
    The cabinet was fitted with a 31khz monitor with VGA cable so all that was needs was VGA cable. I hooked the audio up to the internal speakers amp board and I just got done doing my first madcatz controller hack.

If you have a Hamm cabinet you will have to use scradt cable with lm1881n sync chip to split the sync signal.
    sarconus this is scrubby as hell but how do you (and some others) run xbox/sf4 in your cabs?

What connections/devices are in use here?
    ·
  • EtotheNGSPDEtotheNGSPD Gief Power Joined: Posts: 881
    What a nice thread, here are my Babies.
    101_0432.jpg

101_0433.jpg

101_0434.jpg

101_0436.jpg
    The Next time we meet im going to break your arms.
    Spun Uncontrollably Skyward... Driven Brutaly Into the Ground.
    Zangief's express line is Open who, is Next???
    Thanks to Luciano Leone, that AV is Fucking Awesome Bro.
    ·
  • GXEGXE @}-}--- Joined: Posts: 214
    62OneSeriouslyRadKid_thumb.jpg
    DO NOT QUOTE IMAGES. Thank you. - The Community
    All my PSD files are at: http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=d3d2f1779750f22c8c9e7c56ba37815fbf0a0e44734691ce
    See my templates at www.dcorti.com
    ·
  • scuzscuz hau 2 shewt hadewkin Joined: Posts: 199
    That's probably the best picture I've seen all week.
    ·
    Beautiful. I hope that things still exists somewhere...
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    ·
  • n_nlemonn_nlemon tea and cake Joined: Posts: 61
    @Jazz + sarconus

you mean scart to jamma..
    http://pc2jamma.mameworld.info/arc_sat1.html

thats for 15khz screens, like in the Astro Cities..
    The most beautiful rose is cultivated in the blood of those that fall before me
    ·
  • black shoemakerblack shoemaker black hatmaker Joined: Posts: 995 ✭✭
    nice shorts you got there gxe
    jerb
    ·
  • md72582md72582 90% Raw Vegan Joined: Posts: 617
    Heres my sfiv cabinet.

DSC02234.jpg
    DSC02241.jpg
    I love my lord jesus christ, i love virgin mary, i love bob marley, i love marilyn monroe, i love betty page. i love my family, i love my cousins, and i love my friends.
    ·
  • Lex_EskobarLex_Eskobar Joined: Posts: 106
    ^
    Amazle.
    The Fighting Playboy.
    ____________________________________________________________________________________

XBL: Lex Eskobar
    PSN: Lex_Eskobar
    ·
  • TimstuffTimstuff Chillin' out maxin' relaxin' all cool Joined: Posts: 418
    P7270308-1.jpg

ohcp.jpg

P7270281.jpg

sideart.jpg

P7270316.jpg

P7270295.jpg
    ·
  • ipitydatfuipitydatfu Joined: Posts: 499

he seems really enthusiastic with his neo geo
    ·
  • md72582md72582 90% Raw Vegan Joined: Posts: 617
    ^
    Amazle.

Thanks!
    I love my lord jesus christ, i love virgin mary, i love bob marley, i love marilyn monroe, i love betty page. i love my family, i love my cousins, and i love my friends.
    ·
  • kali pimpinkali pimpin 8 buttons?! Joined: Posts: 353
    haha cobra u beat me to that cab !!! i was going to make it a vegas trip to go get it too.....good job on fixing it up!

>straight west coast'n <
    ·
    Thats crazy lol.

Everything came in, installed the cp and a Jpac.

GROUP SHOT!!!

Cabs.jpg
    ·
  • kali pimpinkali pimpin 8 buttons?! Joined: Posts: 353
    thats beauty....just plain beautiful

>straight west coast'n <
    ·
  • Dash'MBFDash'MBF now with more HooBangin' Joined: Posts: 359
    Here are a few of mine...

P1010335.jpg

P1010336-1.jpg

P1010337.jpg

P1010338.jpg

P1010339.jpg

P1010340.jpg

P1010341.jpg

P1010334.jpg

Sorry about the glare in the 1st two pics. The KI1 is working, just needs the monitor replaced and the sticks and buttons put in. The Showcase is the project cab that'll have MVC2 installed once it's finished.

BTW that's a badass metal gear cabinet!
    September is almost here......
    ·
    Nice Dash, I was waiting on you to show up here :)

Love that X-Men cab, so clean.
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    ·
  • bigsexyc420bigsexyc420 Keystone II Joined: Posts: 446
    @Dash
    can you show us those portraits between the xmen cab and SF one?
    "Contra on the DS makes me want to punch myself in the balls"
    -Monte
    ·
    Posted these on the project page.

Here is my Vewlix Clone, 95% done. Sadly, shes sitting in a PODS for the next 3 months until I get my new place in Tallahassee.... Sigh...

101_1197.jpg

Close up of the Red Plexi

101_1204.jpg
    [TMNTTF - Leonardo]
    [Donkey Kong - Jumpman]
    ·