The Official Post your Arcade Cabinet Thread!!

Comments

• eczangiefeczangief GOD OF 1-HANDED ROM Joined: Posts: 1,877
    eczangief wrote: »

Ha ha ha, are you just holding that Diamond VLX to get it into the shot!!!

Hah. Nah, I would've if it came down to it, but it is precariously cantilevered off the edge of the bureau.
    I need me some suzos.
    Sending you a PM. Will cut you a deal on a pair if you want. I remember you from Marvel2 days.

I can't believe I'm Magnetro.
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,413
    Dont sell to Pablo, sell to me instead. That way Pablo can come over.
  • Feargus001100Feargus001100 Joined: Posts: 989
    rcaido wrote: »
    Dont sell to Pablo, sell to me instead. That way Pablo can come over.

7f9836a440ca3c47f97c5d3aa736bf20.jpg
    #MAS_Preservation_Society
  • VOLDOMVOLDOM Joined: Posts: 144
    Mutifur!
  • RugdoctorRugdoctor Joined: Posts: 175
    it's mahvel baby

IMG_0388.JPG

Well, its CvS2 artset but close enough (runs away...)

• ReirakuReiraku Joined: Posts: 863
    armi0024 wrote: »
    And I'm moving in 4 months!

Any of those coming through Vegas during the move? o:)
  • Pimp WillyPimp Willy "I guarantee we got a rat in the house!" Joined: Posts: 10,767 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited March 2015
    Well, I made a purchase this weekend. The only thing that stinks is I won't be able to play until August :( Bought this in a Cali auction and will be meeting it in Minnesota when we get there.
    Used some of the money from the Twilight Zone Pinball I fixed and sold so Susan can't get after me too much!

I was eyeing the same machine, but it went for a bit more than I was willing to spend : )

I do see the DDR Machine I bought in the background of those pics though

e$ports
    FC: 0018-4935-1331
  • makstaksmakstaks Joined: Posts: 176
    edited April 2015
    For those with custom builds, how do you handle power when you manage multiple devices?

I'm building a mid-sized tabletop cabinet. I would like to feed power to a Game Console (ps3 slim), NUC pc, Monitor, and Amp. I imagine this going to a hopefully small power strip inside of my cabinet. I am then hoping to connect this strip to a single power connector mounted on the cabinet. This is so I only have one cable going out of the cabinet. I'm looking for something like this but hoping I can connect a power strip directly to it...

http://www.amazon.com/TOOGOO-Inlet-Socket-Switch-IEC320/dp/B00FFYMOCI

Any recommendations for this build? I'm also looking for a compact power strip in case you guys have seen one.

Thanks!
  • oldskoolgamingoldskoolgaming STMemory Joined: Posts: 105
    Pimp Willy wrote: »
    Well, I made a purchase this weekend. The only thing that stinks is I won't be able to play until August :( Bought this in a Cali auction and will be meeting it in Minnesota when we get there.
    Used some of the money from the Twilight Zone Pinball I fixed and sold so Susan can't get after me too much!

I was eyeing the same machine, but it went for a bit more than I was willing to spend : )

I do see the DDR Machine I bought in the background of those pics though

How much do the DDR cabinets cost?

• DarksakulDarksakul Your lack of faith disturbs me Joined: Posts: 23,805
    Arcade cabs prices tend to vary wildly.

Factors include
    your geographic region
    Supply and demand
    Condition of the cab (or level of damage)
    Who's selling it
    The reasons they are selling it
    Sometimes the rarity of the machine (assuming the seller gives a crap what the machine actually is)
    Size (larger cockpit or environmental cabs go for alot more)

Wooden US upright cabs tend to go for the cheapest. I seen some fix-er-upers where its just a bare wooden cabinet but the cabinet is still serviceable for as cheap as $50.
    Like a hollowed out video poker machine.
    Traditionally Japanese style cabs goes for more, DDR cabs could be considered large format Japanese style cabs.

For local pickup you need to rent a truck or moving van or ask someone else with a truck to help you out.
    Across the nation or overseas you are looking at freight shipping, which the shipping can be a few grand.
    “Strong people don't put others down... They lift them up.”
    - Darth Vader, Philanthropist
  • oldskoolgamingoldskoolgaming STMemory Joined: Posts: 105
    Darksakul wrote: »
    Arcade cabs prices tend to vary wildly.

Factors include
    your geographic region
    Supply and demand
    Condition of the cab (or level of damage)
    Who's selling it
    The reasons they are selling it
    Sometimes the rarity of the machine (assuming the seller gives a crap what the machine actually is)
    Size (larger cockpit or environmental cabs go for alot more)

Wooden US upright cabs tend to go for the cheapest. I seen some fix-er-upers where its just a bare wooden cabinet but the cabinet is still serviceable for as cheap as $50.
    Like a hollowed out video poker machine.
    Traditionally Japanese style cabs goes for more, DDR cabs could be considered large format Japanese style cabs.

For local pickup you need to rent a truck or moving van or ask someone else with a truck to help you out.
    Across the nation or overseas you are looking at freight shipping, which the shipping can be a few grand.

yeah over here(SG) there's people selling for like 5-7k excluding transportation. just curious abt the prices over in US. but thanks that was a very thorough explanation =)
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    tomle wrote: »
    Just wanted to show off my Arcade Cabinet inside my bedroom.
    Cabinet made by Krey

Very nice, love the black/white color scheme.
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • RamrodRamrod P.G. Joined: Posts: 406
    Ramrod wrote: »
    Picked up this converted Data East cabinet this weekend:

540x360.jpg

I'm going to turn it into Final Fight. I need another one to turn into Magic Sword. Since the proper Dynamo HS-1's are impossible to find (especially set up for 2 player), these Data East cabinets are the next best thing for this era of Capcom games (FF, MS, UN Squadron, Legendary Wings, etc).

I'm going to remove the start buttons from the front and put them back on top, use different joysticks, and install all the NOS artwork.

Finally got around to this. Decided to go with MS instead of Final Fight because I like it better and the art is cooler. I was going to try red t-molding but the cabinet has corner protectors so I just kept it black.

ihpTvAOl.jpg?1

Here's the control panel stripped and bondo'd. It was originally a Karate Champ (you can make out the bolt holes for the dual joysticks for each player)

aH7hw7Xl.jpg?1
  • rcaidorcaido Dynamic Bayside Duo Joined: Posts: 8,413
    Cool cabs guys!
  • PresidentCamachoPresidentCamacho Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho Joined: Posts: 3,455
    Beautiful!
    Play Crimzon Clover, or go to hell.
  • armi0024armi0024 Dash Cancel Expert, paradisearcadeshop.com Joined: Posts: 1,826
    @Lemony Vengeance nice find

To any trying bleach yellowed trim on Candy's, I'll post the differences on my Super Neo's. The 40 volume hair bleach and Hawaiian sun does an amazing job.
    www.paradisearcadeshop.com Sanwa, Seimitsu and a ton of custom parts
    2015 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, OBS-MX buttons
    2014 Tech Talk Stick Mod of the Year, LVT3 TE2
    2013 Tech Talk Store of the Year and Product of the Year, Kaimana Led Controller

To any trying bleach yellowed trim on Candy's, I'll post the differences on my Super Neo's. The 40 volume hair bleach and Hawaiian sun does an amazing job.
    Oh so similar to the retrobright method
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    edited April 2015

Thanks! Ken from Thegameroom.com is about 50 miles away from me, and normally refuses to order these for import. A customer of his requested 4 and paid 50% down, but didn't come up with the remainder, so off to ebay they went. I was on a road trip when I saw the listing, so I emailed him and worked out a deal: My neo29 and a discounted remaining amount for the cabinet.

I'm getting an omega CMVS in the next day or so, so letting go of my 4 slot (which didn't really get much play time in) wasn't a terribly big deal. Sad to see it go, but making room for this was a nice exchange.

As for the sun bleaching, I look forward to the results! I still need to do that to my speaker shroud on my New Astro City. I'm torn though.. while I like things being clean, the yellowing can give the cabinet a small amount of character.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Ask me about my Consolized Naomi!
  • Lemony VengeanceLemony Vengeance JAMMA pad hacker Extraordinaire Joined: Posts: 463
    nice get! I love Sega's little tank (and you know why I'm calling it that ;) ). OOH! it has a platform too! nice!

OH NICE!! It looks like you have the proper upper CP surround too! Take pics in there, it's possible that you'll only need to get the control panel (which are more common than you think :) The illuminated marquee may be tough to find, however.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
  • FreedomGundamFreedomGundam Freedom, ikimasu! Joined: Posts: 2,521
    So jealous of those with DDR (or other dance equivalent) machines. Are those hard to find replacement parts for?

My original plan a few years ago was to buy a bigger house with a basement large enough for my main/modern entertainment/gaming setup, my custom cab (currently holds an X360), a Blast/Astro City, and a DDR machine, among other geek/hobby things. Unfortunately, I'm moving into a bigger house this summer, and the basement is unfortunately much smaller than I'd had hoped for; there's going to be room for my entertainment/gaming setup, as well as my custom cab and the other geek things, but definitely no room for a second cab and by far no room for a DDR machine... :(
    Current at-home stick: Hori VLX Kuro (LS-40-01 + PS-14-K)
    Current portable stick: Mad Catz TvC (LS-40-01 + PS-14-KN)
    Current guest-sticks: custom ABS Modular stick (JLF + OBSN-30), custom Saint-stick (Happ/IL Competition)
    Cabinet: custom "Resistor" cabinet (32" LCD, X360, P1=LS-32-01 + PS-14-KN, P2=JLF + OBSC-30)
    Previous sticks: custom Happ CvS2 Double-sticks, custom Happ Hitomi-stick & Xenosaga-stick, custom Sanwa/Seimitsu Neptune-stick and Sylvia-stick, modded Mad Catz TvC, modded Mad Catz Brawlstick, modded Hori FSVX, modded Exar Exaprize

Looking for:
    CPS2 (green or blue): Hyper SF2
    Naomi GD-ROM: SF Zero3 Upper, Puyo Puyo Fever, Triggerheart Excelica, Ikaruga
    I've wanted a top skater cab for a LONG time... but there's no space for me in the basement beyond what's already in the the "war room".

I feel your pain, man.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    nice get! I love Sega's little tank (and you know why I'm calling it that ;) ). OOH! it has a platform too! nice!

OH NICE!! It looks like you have the proper upper CP surround too! Take pics in there, it's possible that you'll only need to get the control panel (which are more common than you think :) The illuminated marquee may be tough to find, however.
    Hey Lemony, would getting a plexy cut out and print art on some vinyl work for the Aero City Cab?
    edited May 2015

Hey Lemony, would getting a plexy cut out and print art on some vinyl work for the Aero City Cab?

As a replacement for the CP? No, the CP is just like other sega CPs in that the stick mounts to it.

As a covering for the entire upper CP surround like what arts hobbies/FH/FA does for arcade sticks? It might, but you would need to work past the carriage bolts in the CP itself..Maybe a custom CP with studs instead of bolt holes, then using Screw in buttons to keep the plexi in place, no bolts needed. :)

Here's a decent looking CP with surround for reference.
    10.jpg

looking at the pic again, it looks like the original panel is under the art, which could possibly just be a vinyl overlay:

2015-05-07_1050.png

red arrows are pointing to the CP screws. Could be hidden gold :)
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    edited May 2015

As a replacement for the CP? No, the CP is just like other sega CPs in that the stick mounts to it.

As a covering for the entire upper CP surround like what arts hobbies/FH/FA does for arcade sticks? It might, but you would need to work past the carriage bolts in the CP itself..Maybe a custom CP with studs instead of bolt holes, then using Screw in buttons to keep the plexi in place, no bolts needed. :)

Here's a decent looking CP with surround for reference.
    http://home.insightbb.com/~candycabinetcity/cabinets/Sega/Aero/10.jpg

looking at the pic again, it looks like the original panel is under the art, which could possibly just be a vinyl overlay:

http://content.screencast.com/users/LemonyVengeance/folders/Jing/media/9da12e46-efa9-4923-8446-d54360f9c0b7/2015-05-07_1050.png

red arrows are pointing to the CP screws. Could be hidden gold :)

No not the control panel, I meant the marquee. Sorry for not making that clear.
    Here's a quick shot of the insides. I plan on being thorough when cleaning it out to see what it all has. The marquee has the light fixture inside, so I'll probably just get some repro art for it. Also, I'll have to drill the locks on the bottom of the cp, since we don't have keys for it.
    20150506_205701_zpspejt8kil.jpg
    edited May 2015
    Reiraku wrote: »
    Here's a quick shot of the insides. I plan on being thorough when cleaning it out to see what it all has. The marquee has the light fixture inside, so I'll probably just get some repro art for it. Also, I'll have to drill the locks on the bottom of the cp, since we don't have keys for it.
    20150506_205701_zpspejt8kil.jpg

nice! Here's a good place to start for artwork:

http://wiki.arcadeotaku.com/w/Sega_Aero_City
    No not the control panel, I meant the marquee. Sorry for not making that clear.

Ah, gotcha :) that could be done, but it would be easier to get it repro'd on actual translucent plastic. issue is, finding vector art for the marquee may be tough.
    MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL!
    Santa Hatz 4 lyfe!
    Reiraku wrote: »
    http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b154/KarinKanzuki/20150506_205701_zpspejt8kil.jpg
    I am not picking on you Reiraku, so you don't get the wrong idea.
    I don't like that exposed terminal strip bridging what appears to be mains voltage.That wiring going into the outlet box could be and should be one continuous wire/cable.
    Hell all that 120 volt wiring is a nightmare. The previous owners did some really sloppy work.
    Why there even is a extension cord?

I am not even worried about the Jamma wiring.
    No offense taken. A lot of that I was wondering myself when I first checked it out. I had planned on redoing a lot of the wiring when I got to cleaning it because I'd really like this thing to not burn down my house. Part of me is seriously considering taking out most of it and putting in a dreamcast with VGA connection. That or going with a single slot MVS board, but I have another cab I'm building that will cover most of those games anyways. I really want to get that wiring sorted so I have a better idea of what needs to go and what doesn't. As you said, it's a mess in there.
  • x24x24 Eiffel Tower! Joined: Posts: 280
    Impressive as always. I've been curious how that vewlix top panel is installed. Any chance for some pics on that?
  • ericleroiericleroi Joined: Posts: 529
    Thanks x24. If you are referring to the topper, it's made from an acrylic wall display panel which came with pre-drilled holes like this one:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Displaypro-Landscape-Hanging-Poster-Display/dp/B00GGGXMWA/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1431541295&sr=8-7&keywords=a4+acrylic+display+wall

I dug out some old photos:

VewlixSlimArtworkHolder.jpg

I cut some L-shaped plastic trim to size and drilled some holes to line up with those on the display panel:

ArtworkDrilled.jpg

The plastic trim is super-glued to the top of the cabinet and small nuts and bolts used to secure the acrylic display panel :

ArtworkEmpty.jpg

If that's not what you meant, let me know.