SVC - When It's So Bad It's Good

Comments

• Sh!nStarw!nSh!nStarw!n Sakura of the Southwest Joined: Posts: 492
    Funny that I picked this game back up just recently. The entire SNK side was so much fun to play but I never played the Capcom side that much because it felt boring to play. Iori, Terry, Shiki, Geese, Kim, Kyo, and Ryo were so much fun to play.
    XBL: C88 Starwin

USF4: Sakura, Poison
    SFxT: Rufus/Law Law/Paul
    Injustice: Superman, Solomon Grundy
    Jojo's ASB: Dio Brando
  • ChuvyliciousChuvylicious Joined: Posts: 441
    Then you haven't been playing against any good players.

Guard cancel front step is probably better than a parry, since you can apply it after a simple block, to punish practicall anything.

So true. Also, I have to disagree with claw being ass. My buddy was pretty good with him and had a good mix up game
    heres the link to the rom and emulator, thanks Age, if any of you decide to play online. if you do just let me know so we can get some matches going :D
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=GFBZ9F3J
  • LessQQLessQQ Stop crying Joined: Posts: 34
    You are going to get banned for linking that. I would edit your post asap. Besides that does anyone still play the game online?
    "This is KOF. We put our shit on VHS." ~ Hatred Edge
  • Return of ShikiReturn of Shiki Your favorite game sucks Joined: Posts: 4,418
    So true. Also, I have to disagree with claw being ass. My buddy was pretty good with him and had a good mix up game

How in the world are you going to confirm GCFS as being better than parry, and then claim Claw as being pretty good?
    GCFS is [precisely the reason why Claw is so ass. You can't even play him the way he's supposed to be played because absolutely everything he has can be punished.
    If you listen to fools, the mob rules...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Joined: Posts: 0
    No, you're misunderstanding Rougeyoshi and Emil. And they're right. They're saying that basically when you have the meter for GCFS pretty much everything outside of air-air, light/very quick recovery attacks and projectiles from 3/4's screen or more become massively unsafe and risky.

Like I said, you can bait them but its more dash length dependent and what options your characters has that can be buffered in blockstrings. And of course, these affect which characters on the tier list besides the usual criteria for fighting games.

The only thing I disagree with is the GCFS XX throw that RY said, and that's because throw is ass in this game, not to mention whiffing makes you lose meter. I wouldn't waste a GCFS on a throw attempt; I'd attack.

Yes I did misunderstand the statement, I was defending GCFS from the claim that ts breaks the game but I realize now that they simply meant it makes a lot of offense punishable.
    "What one person sees as degrading and disgusting and bad for women might make some women feel empowered and beautiful and strong."
    - Sasha Grey
    How in the world are you going to confirm GCFS as being better than parry, and then claim Claw as being pretty good?
    GCFS is [precisely the reason why Claw is so ass. You can't even play him the way he's supposed to be played because absolutely everything he has can be punished.

i never said GCFS was better than parry and agreed with emil stating that you haven't played good players. You obviously don't have the skill to play claw or haven't played a good claw player to consider him ass. one of my buddies youtube profile i posted, mejia, played claw on kb and did a pretty good job using an ass character.
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,389
    i never said GCFS was better than parry and agreed with emil stating that you haven't played good players. You obviously don't have the skill to play claw or haven't played a good claw player to consider him ass. one of my buddies youtube profile i posted, mejia, played claw on kb and did a pretty good job using an ass character.

Please don't use kaillera players as a basis to show how a character is good. Also the problem isn't about being able to execute with Claw (so whether he's using keyboard or not is irrelevant). The problem is being able to USE Claw in such a way that he doesn't get owned by GCFS and there isn't much he can do. You can be able to execute every single combo and trick with Claw but that isn't going to help him if GCFS takes practically everything away from him.
    KoF98UM - EX Yama, Eiji, Orochi Yashiro | KoF2k2 - Kim, Whip, Athena, Choi |
    Kof13 - Saiki, Shen, Vice | P4U2 - Shadow Labrys, Rise | GGXrd - Bedman
  • bulasking14bulasking14 Joined: Posts: 3
    Some people do use GCFS throw if they're close enough. I guess it's done because it's lazier/easier. GCFS-command throw is pretty good in this game IMO, one of the reasons why Tessa is high tier.

Found old grainy camphone stuff of a few casuals here. Still talking to old/new KOF local yokels on Facebook with regards to some old tourney footage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=Ojoce0QC6tI&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch#!v=66MhtaRxXwk&feature=related

You know it's from the Philippines because there's karaoke in the background. Best watch on mute. :coffee:

hahaha I'm the one who posted these vids. Glad to see it in a forum like this and I'm very happy to know that there's still people who love this game. Btw from what province/city were you from?
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,407 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    @bulasking

Hello, I sent you a private message on Youtube. I'm looking for more local matches too but can't seem to contact the people who might have them.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • Tech RomancerTech Romancer PSN: Tech_Romancer Joined: Posts: 5,200
    Ooh, nice hope to see 4neqs in some matches. Cool to have a scene down there for this game.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
    "Problem with Marvel is when you are not mashing you are losing". - 9thPixel
  • GravelneedGravelneed God, Why does SFxT exist? - Luisa Ferre Joined: Posts: 974
    I really like the OST for the game. Too bad I've only played this game a couple of times. It's fun though.
    ....but the Arcana Heart 2 stick smells like sweet bubblegum and crisp rainbows and early sunshine and happy smiles and fresh tulips and oohh- deadfrog
  • *Above Omnipotence*Above Omnipotence Semi-Supreme Being Joined: Posts: 305
    LOL Vega is definitely not bottom tier. His poke game almost rivals Guile's. My homeboy named Fly was giving some good Geese playes problems.

Also, Earthquake needs to move up to tier B. His cross-up jump in D followed by standing D was crazy good.

And Tessa DOES NOT have to rely on GCF to be good. She's actually a good character without it, but a monster with it. I've won plenty of money with her.
    I'm 2nd. to God's power. I'm the semi-supreme being.
    @4neqs

we'll try to record some high level matches but we need a good camera hehehe

@*Above Omnipotence

I agree that Vega is not a bottom tier and I think he is a very good "anti"
    he can escape tessa's unblockable too :p

"And Tessa DOES NOT have to rely on GCF to be good. She's actually a good character without it, but a monster with it. I've won plenty of money with her."

hahaha right. plenty of players here have Tessaphobia.
  • SystemSystem Joined: Posts: 508,676 admin
    yeah, bulasking14 will record some high level plays back there in our place.

its good to know that svc is still alive and kicking!

im an svc player myself since 2004 when the game reached the mall near our place. back then i thought i was the only one who will play it coz kof2000 was the hype back then..

anyway, cant seem to think of anything to say now.. lol!

and yeah, if anyone wants to play online with me, give me a message in my yahoo. i have a copy of Age's file (svc rom and mame w/ kaillera)
  • LunaSlaveLunaSlave insert title here Joined: Posts: 150
    always enjoyed this one. I know it's broken by reputation, but never played it competitively and don't know the first thing about it on that level. For messing around and playing casuals, it was always fun, and one feature of the game, the intro quotes for each fight, I'd like to see implemented elsewhere.
  • fiolfiol Joined: Posts: 1,419
    and one feature of the game, the intro quotes for each fight, i'd like to see implemented elsewhere.

kof13
    Lowpstore.com (the best place for arcade stick and stuff) Check it out!
  • orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,636
    I used to play svc on xbl all the damn time, it's brokenness is what made it so hilarious and fun. I wonder if I'm still ranked #1 on xbl or if I'm in the top10 anywhere, I remember being one of the very few players within the top100 who didn't use shin akuma...unlimited supers oh man what were they thinking:rofl:

Haven't played it since 360 launched but I see it at evo11 I'd be down to MM anyone excluding a few of the most broken guys especially red arremer:rofl:

I was pretty damn good with violent ken I still have 30 or so replays on my og xbox I'll have to watch them again someday.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • EmilEmil Joined: Posts: 4,389
    LOL Vega is definitely not bottom tier. His poke game almost rivals Guile's.

Eh, the point is his poke game is completely negated by GCFS and he has nothing that can beat that. Guile has options around GCFS.
    KoF98UM - EX Yama, Eiji, Orochi Yashiro | KoF2k2 - Kim, Whip, Athena, Choi |
    Kof13 - Saiki, Shen, Vice | P4U2 - Shadow Labrys, Rise | GGXrd - Bedman
  • Emperor PaineEmperor Paine Hakkenden Sensei Joined: Posts: 363
    I used to play svc on xbl all the damn time, it's brokenness is what made it so hilarious and fun. I wonder if I'm still ranked #1 on xbl or if I'm in the top10 anywhere, I remember being one of the very few players within the top100 who didn't use shin akuma...unlimited supers oh man what were they thinking:rofl:

Haven't played it since 360 launched but I see it at evo11 I'd be down to MM anyone excluding a few of the most broken guys especially red arremer:rofl:

I was pretty damn good with violent ken I still have 30 or so replays on my og xbox I'll have to watch them again someday.

Shit son I think I've played against you a couple times. Got my ass handed to me in a serious manner. lol I was/still am very scuby at this game. I for one enjoyed the game though. Got some matches recorded. I believe I even have a match with me using Mai beating one of those ass-hole Shin Akuma's.

I'll be happy to upload some of my professional beatings by people who i thought were skilled. I still have the game so I could actually play a few rounds with anyone. (don't expect much though) I stopped playing the game as soon as KoF 2k2 came out. I actually made top 50's on that game lol. (which doesn't mean much)
  • KerseyKersey Cyrax Wins Joined: Posts: 504
    Shit son I think I've played against you a couple times. Got my ass handed to me in a serious manner. lol I was/still am very scuby at this game. I for one enjoyed the game though. Got some matches recorded. I believe I even have a match with me using Mai beating one of those ass-hole Shin Akuma's.

I'll be happy to upload some of my professional beatings by people who i thought were skilled. I still have the game so I could actually play a few rounds with anyone. (don't expect much though) I stopped playing the game as soon as KoF 2k2 came out. I actually made top 50's on that game lol. (which doesn't mean much)

SvC side tourny at the next Palomino Nights. Get ignited.
  • Emperor PaineEmperor Paine Hakkenden Sensei Joined: Posts: 363

Are you serious? That shit would be hype. That actually makes me wanna pop the game one and work on it. lol

I'd like to watch those matches.

Whaaaat? I want in.... =[
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • rukawa_kaederukawa_kaede ({「決最終戦奥義」}) Joined: Posts: 3,512
    I just got the guide for this game, need to work on those infinities,lol
    jae hoon wrote: »
    Affinity is just a rouge program sent out by the bot program known as Emil.
  • GravelneedGravelneed God, Why does SFxT exist? - Luisa Ferre Joined: Posts: 974
    How many people show up for these SvC side tournaments? I would like this game to be part of my tournament that I'm planning to do in the next year or 2.
    ....but the Arcana Heart 2 stick smells like sweet bubblegum and crisp rainbows and early sunshine and happy smiles and fresh tulips and oohh- deadfrog
    @ 4neqs, the Ura 306 Shiki: Saika followup is indeed meterless in this game. My mistake.

Also I might get in matches tomorrow, dunno.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz
  • black_7black_7 Joined: Posts: 46
    Love the game. Willing to play it competively, despite its faults. Just don't take it too serioulsy.

Definitely the better game in the vs. series between Capcom and SNK.
  • AnakronAnakron Alpha Male Joined: Posts: 2,391
    Love the game. Willing to play it competively, despite its faults. Just don't take it too serioulsy.

i don't think so idiot
    #SNKPlaymore on rizon
    isn't it funny that capcom put a mechanic called focus into a game designed for people with ADD
  • ShishiohShishioh Starbreaker Joined: Posts: 2,921

That's subjective depending on which style of game you like more and the rosters. I may play CvS 1 over it at the moment but I would play it over CvS 2 in a heartbeat.
    "Hitboxes have nothing at all to do with the way a fighting game plays. they are just a means to an end."-Random Discus user
    Written exactly like that.
  • terryforeverterryforever Joined: Posts: 30
    i use to play tis game a lot back in the arcade times in malaysia.

my favor character is Tessa, Claw, guile, Mars People, Genjuro & some more.

Mars people was my 1st character that win many (around 3x matches)
    Tessa also very good.
    Guile n Claw is fun to play, especially both got the very fast charge.
    for claw, u can just do down, up + K/P all day.

the old days....now malaysia not many people playing anymore
  • Ash2k4Ash2k4 For Justice !!!!!!!!!!! Joined: Posts: 1,056
    I remember playing this broken ass game it was so bad yet good i used kasumi iori, mr karate, akuma won a few locals and torney when we had arcades. I remember playing this on og xbox and in the first week being in the top 30 EEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
    JR RODRIGUEZ - YOUR MOVES ARE NOTHING!!
    Mexiwont -We need a tier list of top trash talkers. I nominate Jerry (obviously S+++ tier) to make it.
    Option Select !!!!!!!!!
  • Dark GeistDark Geist I miss arcades Joined: Posts: 98
    Even though this game had some broken shit in it, I still had a blast with it.

People where saying they had problems with charging in this game....maybe my arcade at the time had the updated board (someone earlier mentioned this) because noone had these problems when we were playing it.
  • King-SunKing-Sun The Perfect Rushdown Joined: Posts: 763
    Even though this game had some broken shit in it, I still had a blast with it.

People where saying they had problems with charging in this gam
    e....maybe my arcade at the time had the updated board (someone earlier mentioned this) because noone had these problems when we were playing it.

lol and I thought it was just me phucking up
    The rent Is too damn high....
  • Dark GeistDark Geist I miss arcades Joined: Posts: 98
    lol and I thought it was just me phucking up

Everyone says this, the machine I played on had no issues. None that I remember at least.
  • Mr BakaboyMr Bakaboy Joined: Posts: 169
    SVC had strict controls you have to get used to. (i.e. down/back to forward does not work) I know a lot of friends had fits getting used to the controls.
    "The freaks come out at night."
    I remember how hard it was to get near demitri. It was like 1945. :looney:
  • ZamuelZamuel Non Angry Black Man Joined: Posts: 460
    While this game had its flaws, it got active play in the arcade back in the day and I remember having fun with it. I mained Tessa while occasionally playing Hugo on the side. As far as Zero...someone using him caused his opponent to ragequit in the arcade.
  • terryforeverterryforever Joined: Posts: 30
    Guile n Dhasim got the faster fireball in the game
    (am i right)

Fighting Guile so difficult, he charge so fast!! Even SSF4 Guile also not fast like he.
    Sonic bomb..sonic bomb...whole day. if u jump, flash kick....
    (i win many like tis also, hehehe)
  • TizocTizoc Joined: Posts: 11,406
    Well I hope someone will be able to answer these questions for me-
    1- What was the tier list for the game? IIRC, Zero and Geese were top weren't they?
    2- One of Tessa/Tabatha's specials has her summon a ghost that travels as a projectile, what were this move's properties and what was it used for? Was it useful for combos?
    3- Could someone provide strats for Dimitri?
    "You have to be a badass if you ride a giant seahorse." -Grant Morrison on why Aquaman is badass
    "Game Over, Snively. ...Thanks for playing." -Dr. Eggman, Sonic Universe #40
    "I'm stinking of animal blood...As of now I'm a vegetarian. And this is Bat-cow." -Damian Wayne
    #1 - There is no official tier list.
    #2 - The Jamming Ghost is technically a Projectile but its not used for fireball wars or similar things, its too slow. Its best used as an oki option after you knock the opponent down or when you have time enough to release it. Its used for pressure and if it hits, you can potentially combo off it. The ghosts dissipate if Tabasa is hit or grabbed.
    # 3 - Like Darkstalkers, Demetri has chain combos. The Rule, just like Vampire is weaker to stronger and is like this:

* LP > LK > MP > MK > HP > HK

To do that, you have to learn his command moves (which function like normals in a capcom game and are cancelable into each other). A full chain would be like: f + A > A > B > C > D or whatever. A shorter one (and starts low) is like: df + B > A > d+D...that's a standard sweep combo. Besides that you zone with air and ground fireballs as the distance permits. Even fairly close its good because he has great recovery. His Exceed (Demon Flare) isn't fancy but gets the job done, basically a pumped fireball with almost zilch recovery. You can set up midnight pleasure against people that try to GFCS too often. His dash is a teleport when you hold BC and you can go through some things with this. One fun mindgame is to buffer in Midnight Pleasure as it ends or the DP followup. The Bat Spin is really useful for fireball punishment. Besides that, Uppercut/fireball game like a shoto.
    youtube.com/user/Ergeniz