SVC - When It's So Bad It's Good

1235»

Comments

• orochizoolanderorochizoolander 2LANDER! Joined: Posts: 15,624
    There has never been a tournament standard ban list for SVC as far as I know so when you said they're top2 I was comparing them to everyone else. And even after comparing them to godtier characters like shin akuma Stu still said zero n geese are better I was just curious to know why he thought so.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure Goenitz is untouchable because of how fast his tornados recover if you can move like 2-3 steps short of full screen you can spam long range tornado and it recovers so fast it's an automatic chip trap GG:rofl:

I'd much rather fight Geese or Zero over dimitri.
    P. gorath said: seriously though, it really crystalized how much better mvc3 is than that game. "Oh look, commando vs. 3 characters...this will be excitin--zzzzzzzzzzzzzZZzzzz"
  • UbersaurusUbersaurus RIP Kinn "ROBOTRON" Joined: Posts: 1,232 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Shin Akuma, Shin Karate, Athena, and Arremer were not playable characters in the arcade version (or even the neo home version, come to think of it), and since this game came out at a time when that actually meant something, I think there is just cause for them to be banned just as a given. I believe everyone else was allowed back when tourneys existed for this game.
    When someone asks if you're a god...say yes
  • ISLEDGEIISLEDGEI Hero of Earth Joined: Posts: 22
    I never get tired of this game. One of my favorite of all time! I'll take on anyone, anytime, anywhere!
  • Taikoubou1984Taikoubou1984 Joined: Posts: 5
    Expert brazilian matchs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pf2it7O5ys

Hope you enjoy.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Joined: Posts: 0
    Amazing matches, this game looks so fun at high level.
    "What one person sees as degrading and disgusting and bad for women might make some women feel empowered and beautiful and strong."
    - Sasha Grey
  • Predacon RampagePredacon Rampage Skullgirl Blood Joined: Posts: 404
    Expert brazilian matchs
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pf2it7O5ys

Hope you enjoy.
    That Kyo double K.O. was great.
    Skullgirls: Painwhee/Marie
    KOF: Iori, K', & Shen
    VS: Lilith Sub: Jedah & Demitri
    BB: Hazama Sub: Tager
  • Ryujin_OsaiRyujin_Osai leggo Joined: Posts: 303
    aw man.i remember when i first saw this at CTF(rest in peace) loved playing it.loved the art work for this game.was tight when i upgraded to 360 and found out the xbox copy wasn't compatible.never was able to play it ever again.good memories though
    SFV-Laura
    GGrev- sin ky
    BB- naoto,mai

• Tuxedo717Tuxedo717 Joined: Posts: 16
    Oh man, I used to work at an arcade and we had this game. I sunk so many hours into it. I sucked at it at first, but once I got the hang of the GCFS abuse and started to use it to my advantage, it really took off for me.

Geese, orochi Iori, zero, and dimitri are indeed crazy top tier.

I think it's funny how orochi iori basically has the same health and abilities as the normal one (save for the differeing exceeds and orochi's worthless flame pillar), but he is like twice as fast. Why didn't they at least lower his health? lol...he's fast enough to jump over any fireball in the game from full screen and combo you before you recover, even zero if you he's lucky. he's a pretty boring character for me though. he's not cheap because of his moves, just his insane speed and non-marginalized health.

Geese is at least somewhat normal speed, but he has those long, damaging combos. And GCFS wise, he can dash in, do an instant throw, and then the throw follow up. After a few of those, the scales are in his favor for sure, health-wise. if he has enough time to get in a close C attack after a GCFS, he gets a simple f+D kick into raging storm for massive damage. if he has MAX, insert another 6 repetitions before the raging storm, lol. although the raging storm has a tricky input, once someone masters it, it's super safe AA that almost always connects for full damage. comboing low attacks into the modified reppuken he gets when comboing is GCFS immune even to throws i think (you have to do it after the reppuken instead)

Zero of course has the super fast fireball recovery. if you block it, he can just wait to do another and bait you, or do the "shoot the cieling" move, followed by another regular fireball, just to fill the screen. If you try to jump over it he will just helicopter sword you, or slide kick/slide super right before you land. Not to mention the blowfish he can summon and hide behind that the other player can't destroy. Most players just have to wait until it disappears, and with only a 60 second match timer, that really sucks!

Dimitri is super fast, thanks to 3 things. 1: his DP is the best in the game, super fast recovery and beats or trades with everything (beats 90% of the time mind you). 2: his teleport is very cancel friendly. when he is moving before he completely disappears, you throw a fireball or do a diagonal dp. what this means is that you can teleport backwards and bait them to jump or do a move, and then throw a fireball or DP on reaction. as he reappears from the teleport, you can of course do any of his supers. teleporting past ppl on wakeup and then doing the input for his raging demon super to turn around and grab them right as he reappears is crazy good. 3. of course, the darkstalkers-style combo system he has. GCFS in and do a,b,a,b,c,d + pursuit and thats almost as much damage as his EX fireball.
  • Tuxedo717Tuxedo717 Joined: Posts: 16
    since I'm happy to see this thread with people talking about one of my favorite fighters (lol) besides QQing about the top tier peeps, I thought i'd talk about Genjuro, one of the least talked about but viable characters.

his jumping C sword attack is very nice, but not very comboable even on jumpins. it seems to have a hit box that extends way past his hurt box (due to the sword), so you can use this to get past some AA if you time it right. and of course, you can cancel the close D after 2 of the hits into his command grab, which lifts them into the air for a free super catch on the way down. the close D is slow to start up so usually you have to do it after a GCFS, but since his command grab builds meter, you have enough to do it again right after the super, in most cases. his C close is a bit faster than the D but harder to combo the command grab (for me at least).

Speaking of his super, it's perfect anti air, because the card he summons to start the super doesn't have a hurtbox. if someone jumps at you, it's a free super.

The funnest thing about him though that really changed the way people look at him is his long range poking game with his dashing rekkas. the A version starts so fast, charges almost all the way across the screen and connects at a longer range than you'd think. you can punish so many things with this - even fireballs if you do the BC version of the GCFS. if you manage to hit with one, you can combo all 3 for big damage. and if they happen to block, you don't even have to worry about gcfs because you can just bait them and do the next rekka and it will catch them. if they dont GCFS, you can delay the next rekka until they make a move and catch them, too. basically the only thing they can do is jump straight up and make you whiff, and hit you on the way down from their jump.

As if it wasn't good enough, the C version of his rekka goes behind them and crosses up, so you can do it on wakeup. If you repeat the C input 3 times he will cash through then a 2nd and 3rd time, but if you change to the A input mid-way he will revert to the faster, non-crossing-up version, making it safer and trickier.
  • Noble CactusNoble Cactus 56k Days Joined: Posts: 8,476
    Play in real earnest!

No eskay. Figh!

KAY-AOW!

SNKglish at its finest.

I like screwing around in this game sometimes. I like Tessa being in this game. I also like Tessa being good in this game.

What makes her high-tier in this game besides crossups with the Ghosts and zoning?
  • jedpossumjedpossum Ok, Darling Joined: Posts: 4,227
    Play in real earnest!

No eskay. Figh!

KAY-AOW!

SNKglish at its finest.

I like screwing around in this game sometimes. I like Tessa being in this game. I also like Tessa being good in this game.

What makes her high-tier in this game besides crossups with the Ghosts and zoning?
    Hush that announcer did a great job on voicing Demitri "DEMON GO TO HELL".

I occasionally stream so you can see how boring poking around in the memory is. www.hitbox.tv/jedpossum

[8/6/2014 8:19:53 PM] Pasky: jedpossum, hacker of the obscure fighting games

• Noble CactusNoble Cactus 56k Days Joined: Posts: 8,476
    Hush that announcer did a great job on voicing Demitri "DEMON GO TO HELL".
    No grab my regs, no buy.
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

Man, Round 2= :lol:

Yo dawg! We heard you like infinites, so we put yo Exceed in yo infinite! And we can even end yo infinite in a grab super cause it's an SNK grab!

Gonna upload more casuals later.
    "The secret to strength is daily training."
    Chun-Li Street Fighter V training mode
  • PaolochunPaolochun so that I / can say I'm on your side Joined: Posts: 11,291 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG

GCFS -> command throw is pretty good for her in this game. She can do combos to Reverie Sword after a connected ghost too. Or maybe do another command grab and try for the ghost again.
    I think it's funny how orochi iori basically has the same health and abilities as the normal one (save for the differeing exceeds and orochi's worthless flame pillar), but he is like twice as fast. Why didn't they at least lower his health? lol...he's fast enough to jump over any fireball in the game from full screen and combo you before you recover, even zero if you he's lucky. he's a pretty boring character for me though. he's not cheap because of his moves, just his insane speed and non-marginalized health.

O. Iori does have a little less health than the normal one iirc. Dies faster to Exceeds... but yes. iirc he is kinda immune to GCFS because of his speed, and ability to change the timing on his rekkas.

The two Iori's have different Max Mode combos too, and some different moves (such as regular Iori having the KOF 2002 follow-up to his Ya Otome).
    Recent-ish match vids

Mute in case of loud sound or ambient karaoke noises. :lol:

Playlist for these vids and more: http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2829F9992C3332EE&feature=mh_lolz
    Found and friended this guy on YT, some decent new-ish match vids.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/lobodelaire777#g/u

• The Electrifying OneThe Electrifying One Coming4EVO Joined: Posts: 1,282
    thanks nice vids
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
    Capcom Exec and co-producer of Streetfighter 2 in interview with Sega Saturn Magazine, 1998:
    "The Days when people really loved playing computers games has ended. This is mainly because of Sony. Sony has created a new era of light users who consider games to be just an everyday form of general entertainment- nothing special. The kind of games we used to see from Nintendo have gone. These are the games that children used to play, but now they don't."
  • NsauceNsauce PSN: Nsauce Joined: Posts: 171
    I found quite a few vids of me and my friends on an old hard drive, once I get some time I will upload them. I miss Shiki...
    Recent-ish online match vids from here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ReillyOne/videos
  • Ryujin_OsaiRyujin_Osai leggo Joined: Posts: 303
    Recent-ish online match vids from here: http://www.youtube.com/user/ReillyOne/videos
    i always watch reillys channel for some good svc matches.miss playing this game.Violent ken ftw
    SFV-Laura
    GGrev- sin ky
    BB- naoto,mai

• Thatdude8Thatdude8 Joined: Posts: 302
    Those were some good matches.

Last casuals from here, arcade has become old and busted, and the players have most likely moved on to Tekken/SF4/KOF 13. I hope the controls can still be salvaged. :sad: These next vids also build the case against mercy rounds in casuals, even if he's your bff or something. It's just a waste. :lol:

As usual, loud karaoke, you might want to watch on mute. Gonna label these later.

Glad my thread is still around:)
    "What one person sees as degrading and disgusting and bad for women might make some women feel empowered and beautiful and strong."
    - Sasha Grey
  • DecepticonusDecepticonus Joined: Posts: 112
    Athena banned? Yeah, I guess since she is a boss character. But I never thought she was that great to begin with. I recall playing alot of them on XBL a long time ago. Yes, her moves have alot of priority, alot of invincibility and she can zone pretty well with the lion fireball. However, her moves were pretty gimmicky as well

Bow of Judgement - unblockable yes for good damage BUT you can just duck under it
    Mermaid tail - block it and you get a free combo on her
    Bird peck thing Hammer drop - hold up and stay jumping, this move can only hit if you are on the ground or just block low (the bird) and then block high (the hammer drop) and punish her. Plus, I've seen ppl hit her out of the hammer drop.
    Exceed - rarely used, but if blocked free combo on her.

Her moves have so much start-up you saw them a month away so you could block correctly and punish them accordingly. Plus, most players just sucked they want to zone. Get up next to them they don't know what to do! Normals? pokes? combos? what are those??? Sure she's far from balanced with all the bullshit invincibility but she's very beatable.
  • DecepticonusDecepticonus Joined: Posts: 112
    4neqs pretty much already clarified it, but....

Dictator is THE worst of D tier, bar none. His normals aren't as good as they are in other games and they didn't give him a command move equivalent of st.mk. He's pretty unsafe besides maybe his stomp/dive stuff. Blocked scissor kicks don't even required GCFS to punish. Just block and attack. He can only combo into lp Psycho crusher from lights (and only lps mind you, not lks unless its a link or something). And if you mess up for some reason and it gets blocked your ass is grass. HP Psycho Crusher is just annoying but its not enough. His exceed is damn good, but so are several other peoples.

Claw is only slightly better than bison. Wall dives and stuff just aren't worth a damn. He's got some crappy hitbox issues that aren't in his favor either. His supers are pretty meh also. Okay pokes I guess, but don't try that shit on anyone with meter.

Hehe, this thread is fun. Game did suck but it was fun. These were my two characters and yeah they did suck.

For Bison it was Head Stomps all day, quick, fast charge and enough priority to connect as counter hits, where then you could juggle someone afterwards if it hits as a counter on an airborne opponent in the corner with a Super Psycho Crusher, multiple ones. Yeah his Psycho Crusher and Knee Press were just ugh. They both do the same thing, same damage the only difference is you can combo Psycho Crusher from a light. SO why bother with knee press. Then there was his Bison Warp. You could use it sometimes as a GCFS counter, but normally the recovery on it sucked like hell. And MAX Mode gave him nothing to work with. Except cancelling unsafe normals into a Bison Warp or Head Press. Only thing he had going for him was his Super Psycho Crusher cross-up. Hit an opponent with a Super Psycho Crusher, you can time it to hit them with the tail end of another one as they wake-up. Did good damage but after a while you could become predictable. While Knee Press Nightmare, what a waste! Can't combo from lights, can't do the cross-up thing and did the same damage, Again, what is the point. Though his exceed was good for punishing fireball spammers or anti-air though ya had to be psychic.

Vega felt so slow and stiff in this game compared to all the SFs. His wall dives sucked. Flip Kick wasn't too bad and his MAX Mode Claw Roll, xx, Flip Kick was cool. Don't bother with wall dive super unless you want to waste meter. Apparently SNK took a page out of the Alpha book on this super rather than ST. Flip Kick super was decent. His exceed had no range and crap hitbox.

Though both characters could GCFS to super, the normal way (f, f) w/o losing a charge which was pretty nice. Ppl not familiar with the characters usually lost out to that since who woulda thought you can dash up and do a charge super.
    Is there any new tournament footage of this game.
  • _Exiled__Exiled_ Joined: Posts: 1,249
    Oh man I used to play this game religiously in spring 2004.

I love doing the max combos for Iori, Kyo and Geese
    Going back to the classics....
    -Pointless forum OLDIES (summer 2004-spring 2005)
    -Fighting game era OLDIES (fall 2000-spring 2007)
    -Wrestlers OLDIES (attitude era 1999/wcw 1999)
    -Davey Havok // Tom Morello // Flea // Travis Barker

I <3 you all!!!
  • ReoGeoSRKReoGeoSRK Joined: Posts: 749
    Hey everyone I just found this thread and saw its been inactive for awhile so hoepfully we can get a little more action going on now.

I just started playing SVC on Fightcade a few months ago and in spite of the game's flaws j really do enjoy it. I wanted to know if anyone here still plays or would be interested in running games. SVC isn't the most popular game on Fightcade so I really like to develop a community for it somehow. I guess the best place to start is here.

My name on Fightcade is ultros and I use ryu,kyo,ryo,dan,hugo and genjuro.
1235»