Monster Hunter Tri anyone?

Comments

• JarekovJarekov Thou Art A Bear Joined: Posts: 1,995
    I used to play monster hunter freedom unite like a crack fiend, for some reason i didnt even pick this up until last week.

How does online even work for the wii?

Since there is online is there any chance of new monsters being added? I was really sad to see theres no ash lungs or tigrexs or narcarugas... or that lighting ape whos name is escaping me right now.
  • R | CR | C Hunter Rank 999 Joined: Posts: 1,495
    The online mode doesn't require friend codes. It uses a friend request listing system similar to xbox where u can send messages to friends online and warp to their location. You can also create lobbies with limited customization. It lacks a kick option so it's common to run into unwanted players.

So far there's no info about DLCs to add new monsters. Doesn't even exist in Japan and they've had it more months before we did. Only DLCs are event quests that unlock additional armor/weapons. I was sad about not seeing many returning monsters too. This game will feel real small compared to unite.

Congalala
    So far its pretty awesome but so is every MH game, i like the switch axe a good bit, it looks bad ass and i love the ESP on the sword aspect of it. The lance seems like it got some cool ass improvements the charged upswing is beyond cool and my favorite thing so far about this monster hunter. I need to find low rank armor for aggro lancing though and im not finding too much.

Are the event quests always available to download or do they swap out like and have them be potentially missed?
    The counter attack with lance is definitely a strong addition to the weapon. That plus the smaller monster hitboxes (makes evade easier) turns the lance into much more aggressive play style. There's also the new step advance. I didn't get into lance until recently, so I can't recommend any low rank gear. But like all the other games, any set with guard+ or evade is great. Guard Up is really not necessary majority of the time.

Event quests are not available for download. They just appear. Yes they can be missed, but capcom cycles them.

I finally got around to checking my ID: HMUPWV (Ronnie)
    lagiacrus is a fucking bitch the first time.... damn. Anyone got any suggestions? Im rocking the ragged edge switch axe or the blue moon ( not sure if thats the name but its the light crystal and pelagacite ore lance )lance and he seems to just enjoy fucking me up for free.
  • ubetuffubetuff Joined: Posts: 26
    Use a lance on Lagiacrus if you're having trouble with him. Aggressive countering/dodging makes it much easier. If you're fighting him underwater, I found that it's a little easier to dodge his attacks if you're below him. You can block all of his AoE lightning attacks without guard+ skills except for the really big one that hits twice if I remember correct. Use that to your advantage and get free hits in while he's recovering.
  • nehezirnehezir Joined: Posts: 4
    I had good luck on him using a longsword(after MANY failed bowgun runs). his weakness is fire, and also, if you're clever, you can avoid alot of attacks by cycling around his head and neck.
    thanks for the tips guys hes still stomping me but i think im getting really close.
    getting lucky and having lagiacrus spend more time out of the water then in it is the difference between me not getting hit and getting carted.
  • EndlessEndless Death Before Dishonour Joined: Posts: 2,021
    I find that fighting Lagi above his head, or below him, around his lower tail area is the best. The main thing is to get a few hits in and run, at least for GS. I guess it's obvious, but never be in front of him
    Here's a mini project I did:

I wrote a blog article on Monster Hunting Etiquette here:
    MH3 - 10 Proper Etiquettes You Should Practice - Blogs - Shoryuken
    It's a long read, but I hope you guys find it useful.

Other projects I'm planning are:
    - Video recordings of me playing online with randoms, friends, solo
    - Video tutorials against monsters
    - More articles - some resourceful, some humorous
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,846
    Here's a mini project I did:

I wrote a blog article on Monster Hunting Etiquette here:
    MH3 - 10 Proper Etiquettes You Should Practice - Blogs - Shoryuken
    It's a long read, but I hope you guys find it useful.

Nicely done, it was worth the read

I still need to post up my info but I'll do it when I get to HR 20
    Capped high rank Uragaan in less than 5 minutes tonight.
    The setup was simple, but doing it for the first time was crazy, it went sooo fast

1 hammer user
    3 Longsword users with Paralysis

2 pitfall traps

Trap, hammer stuns, LS paralyze, Uragaan gets stuck like forever
    repeat again with 2nd pitfall trap

by the time Uragaan is out of the 2nd pitfall trap, you can cap him.

I think it was about 4:50
    I'm sure there are other ways to beat him faster, but it's cheaper resourcewise than sleepbombing
    People are constantly giving me shit when they run into my fully charged GS swings online...? Wtf is that about thats some BS, its easy to see coming move dumb asses, no matter what your doing its not going to do more damage then my swing so just move?

Is there something im doing wrong, all i do is lvl 3 charges i never use that sweep attack or the upswing.
    ohh is heavy bowgunning as good as it used to be in freedom unite? I dropped the arena barroth with the bowgun but it took me like 18 minutes, i was drilling his claws a majority of the time with water when he had mud and fire when he didnt.

Do peircing shots have damage mods like they do in freedom unite? like the farther the more it does?
    ohh is heavy bowgunning as good as it used to be in freedom unite? I dropped the arena barroth with the bowgun but it took me like 18 minutes, i was drilling his claws a majority of the time with water when he had mud and fire when he didnt.

Do peircing shots have damage mods like they do in freedom unite? like the farther the more it does?
    HBG is not as good as unite because there's no more auto reload. You can still get a good HBG to spam normal 2s on small/medium monsters. On larger monsters MBG with pierce shots is where the damage is at, generally.

Yes pierce still has the same damage modifier. Sweet spot is roughly between 5-7 normal rolls away from the monster.
  • AmsalpAmsalp Joined: Posts: 216
    This is my first Monster Hunter game, but considering it has so far eaten around 280 hours of my life x_x (around the first half of my summer), I really don't have any complaints about it even if it has less content than previous monster hunter games (then again, I never played those <.<). I don't play this nearly as much, but it is still a fun game to come back to and I'm sorta playing now since the sandstorm is around and I am trying to make Jhen armor + for gunner. Yay for sandstorm reduced prices.

Heavy Bowguns actually take some time getting used to, but they are capable of doing a lot of damage if you can get used to the slow movement. If you don't have a shield barrel or evasion though, you are probably going to die. And pierce damage does the most at around 2-3 rolls away. If you are too far, they'll do less and if you're too close, you might not get all the hits, but I guess it depends on the monster and the attack range of your bowgun.

If anyone wants to play with me, feel free to add me. ID is 23UNPL (Karma). I mainly use a Heavy Bowgun and I'm HR 83 o_o.
    I really want to get into Bowgunning, but I gotta first learn to be competent with a Longsword and Lance first.
    I think I have enough Uragaan+ parts for Urag+ Gunner armor, but I need to grind Jhen+ for Jhen Cannon.
    I also need a few more Ala parts to upgrade to Ala Gleam lance, and hopefully get Dark Claw Demise LS as well.

I'm hoping that I can mine enough so I can get an Evasion Talisman, or some decent 2 slot talisman so I can continue to have Great Luck
  • furixfurix Joined: Posts: 1,524
    Bowgunning is really fun with certain set ups. Namely rapidfire shots. Rapidfire pierce 2 is hella fun and damaging. It's a good way to conserve ammo and not have to combine every quest. I can pretty much do dual monster quests and just my Pierce 1, Pierce 2, and Status shots are enough without needing to combine at all.

Also, I use Extra shot(from escadora), so I get an extra pierce 2 volley~ That's around 360% damage from one bullet if you are aligned correctly and get all the hits from each bullet. It's hot stuff.
    Arcana Heart 3~
    yeah ive got rapid fire peirce 2 i just really want to do something like my old HBG set up from freedom unite, so this actually being able to move crap from having a medium bow gun is horse shit. Im going for the qurepco armor so i can get evasion which is my crutch that i absoulotely need to gun.

I dont get how a medium gun would do more with peirce? Are medium Bowguns the only way to rapid fire peirce shots or something?

I need to get to high rank shit now, this sucks all the low level people are terrible, i had 2 people last night with great swords just upswinging at me repeatedly. Then i had people getting carted every five minutes. Normally i would just solo shit but its so fucking expensive to get ammo its retarded.
  • krazykone123krazykone123 4D Joined: Posts: 2,846
    Name: Rei Rox
    ID: 4Z2KNY

I'm HR 30 at the moment wearing the Jhen armor set, need to do my urgent but I still have a about one or two quests left to do
    yeah ive got rapid fire peirce 2 i just really want to do something like my old HBG set up from freedom unite, so this actually being able to move crap from having a medium bow gun is horse shit. Im going for the qurepco armor so i can get evasion which is my crutch that i absoulotely need to gun.

I dont get how a medium gun would do more with peirce? Are medium Bowguns the only way to rapid fire peirce shots or something?

I need to get to high rank shit now, this sucks all the low level people are terrible, i had 2 people last night with great swords just upswinging at me repeatedly. Then i had people getting carted every five minutes. Normally i would just solo shit but its so fucking expensive to get ammo its retarded.

Well the only part that can rapid fire pierce 2 is the jaggid fire frame. I personally use a medium bowgun for my rapid fire pierce 2 set up. It has bad deviation but I gem in Precision+2 to fix that. I forget my set up, but I'll look it up later. It's fully upgraded so the attack power on it is nice, too. I think it might of been Jaggid Fire frame, Needler Barrel, Barroth Stock.(Or maybe it was Diablos Stock I forget). But either way it should work.
    Arcana Heart 3~
    Well the only part that can rapid fire pierce 2 is the jaggid fire frame. I personally use a medium bowgun for my rapid fire pierce 2 set up. It has bad deviation but I gem in Precision+2 to fix that. I forget my set up, but I'll look it up later. It's fully upgraded so the attack power on it is nice, too. I think it might of been Jaggid Fire frame, Needler Barrel, Barroth Stock.(Or maybe it was Diablos Stock I forget). But either way it should work.

thats ironicly almost exactly what im using but im rocking a shitty stock peice.

Damn i wish i werent so late to the party i would love to do some quests with all you guys.
    Hm well that's the cool thing about bowguns. You don't really have to be making different pieces that much, as long as you keep upgrading your bowgun, the same set you use can pretty much keep working, specially if it's a pierce gun.
    Arcana Heart 3~
    god damn ammo costs get fucking absurd when jhen mohran isnt in town.... sadness.

how long is it usually between jhen visits?
    It's like once a month or something like that... and it usually isn't on the same date either. :/

But, it's okay... at a certain point you won't be needing cash THAT much, so you can just keep buying ammo. I really only use the ammo you can buy from the store, and I never bring combines with me. Because in my opinion... If you have to combine to get more ammo, it means the rest of your team isn't doing their job and you are carrying them. Quests should be over by the time you've used up all your ammo, specially if you are using rapid fire pierce. That way, restocking ammo isn't as expensive.
    Arcana Heart 3~
  • LilmanLilman XBL: tootall984 Joined: Posts: 934
    I havent played this game for a month or two. And yesterday i go back online for the heck of it after a late night at work. I didnt stop until about 5:30 am. This game has my soul no matter when i play it. Im still really low on HR because I stopped. :(
    DarkHokage: I got fired from work.
    ME: Why you get fired?
    DarkHokage: For being black.
    ME: So you were late?
    Eish & Conan: LOL
    Yeah, this is one of the most addicting series ever. I've played through so many of the MH titles and I am amazed I am not bored of starting new characters each time a new game gets released.
    Arcana Heart 3~
  • Nine life catNine life cat Joined: Posts: 34
    Haven't come up here for a while, happy to see there are still people keep this thread going. Just up dated krazykone123's info to the front page. Keep it going people :)
    Im kinda sad theres not sub monsters like pink rathian and all that stuff.
  • ShintarruShintarru Not your Average Joe Joined: Posts: 552
    Shin
    H59KCP

Im hr20
    Time is money, money is power, power corrupts eventually.
    just in case anyone is playing without a keyboard, fryes has a decnt mini usb keyboard for ten bucks right now.

so go get one.
    Hey guys, what is a good Pierce + Status effect gun?
    Leaning towards the Pierce side, status as secondary.
    Thanks!
    I got a new personal best today. Killed Jho solo 14:05 as a gunner.

More details here:
    MH3: Solo Devil Jho 14:05, Killed (Gun) - Blogs - Shoryuken
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    I'm sure there has been a much faster bowgun run than 14:27, I remember reading about such a run and how it was pretty much nonstop headlocking

Might've been an exaggeration though. I never saw the vid, and even ken wasn't able to manage a headlock on jho in his 5 minute lance vid
    been farming lagiacrus for 2 days now, hes a seriously so much easier if you SnS him. Ive been just using the hypno knife and sleepbombing his ass. I really need to get 1 god damned lagia plate and its not dropping ( i think ive downed 20 of them in 2 days ). :( profound sadness.
  • InfiniteInfinite Yurushite Nyan! Joined: Posts: 633
    been farming lagiacrus for 2 days now, hes a seriously so much easier if you SnS him. Ive been just using the hypno knife and sleepbombing his ass. I really need to get 1 god damned lagia plate and its not dropping ( i think ive downed 20 of them in 2 days ). :( profound sadness.

Thats too bad bro. They naturally have a 6% percent drop rate and it goes to 9% when you wound his horns. All I can say is wound his horns, cut his tail off cause its a 4% carve rate there, and look for shiny drops about 2% there.
    Thats too bad bro. They naturally have a 6% percent drop rate and it goes to 9% when you wound his horns. All I can say is wound his horns, cut his tail off cause its a 4% carve rate there, and look for shiny drops about 2% there.

the funny thing is ive gotten 3 rath plates during 1 sitting online all off of tail carves before.
  • InfiniteInfinite Yurushite Nyan! Joined: Posts: 633
    the funny thing is ive gotten 3 rath plates during 1 sitting online all off of tail carves before.

Never got a rath plate until I got to High Ranks where the drop rates are higher lol. I managed to carve 2 from his tail o_0

This game gives you things when you don't want them. Ambition filters ftl

I might be playing this today.
    Hey guys, what is a good Pierce + Status effect gun?
    Leaning towards the Pierce side, status as secondary.
    Thanks!

I like to use Rathling +/Jhen Cannon/Chaos Wing. Unfortunately, Chaos wing can't be obtained until you fight the HR5x urgent. At low rank, you're better off using something with the Barozooka Barrel and Rathling Frame :x. I'd highly recommend getting the Jhen Cannon and Rathling + frame asap.
    *Edit double post for the first time :/*
    Cool, thanks for the heads up. I haven't been on as much, but I have a lot of stocks, a lot of barrels, a few frames, and 4/5 of Uragaan+
    IIRC, my best gunner talisman is a 2 slot Precision 10+, but my blademaster talismans aren't nearly as good.
    got my full set of lagiacrus armor today.

So what is your guys opinion on the SnS? All i hear online is how its the lowest damage and worst weapon type. But I really like it, with djinn i can destroy all the early monsters in absurd time ( 2 minute flat Great jaggi, 6 minute royal ludroth ). The first time i even attempted barioth with SnS i dropped him in 13:50, which is alot faster then my hammer or Gs times.

It seems like if you can drop the early monsters that quickly it wouldnt be hard to do the later monsters with it in fast times, I know some of the limitations are no true ESP and the damage per swing is terrible. But i think with the right armor set and SnS you could really do work.

I was thinking critical eye +2 would be an awesome armor skill since your hitting so much, if you combine that with the final ice SnS (Nardebosche??) youve got 60% affininty. That paired with element up and sharpness would be brutal.
  • SleazoidSleazoid Joined: Posts: 4,744
    Once you get Sabretooth G you'll probably never touch Nardebosche ever again lol

amazing among lances, and god among ice weapons
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,161
    What's up, guys? I just got MH3 today but, I'm in no way new to the series.

Name: Phantom
    ID: T2JYHY
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    I haven't played this in like a month or so, so I forgot my ID. So next time I boot it up, I'll give my info. All I remember is that last time I played I was around HR100 or so.
    Arcana Heart 3~
  • Phantom AngelPhantom Angel The Divine One™ Joined: Posts: 27,161
    Quick Question:
    I play on an HD TV and this game doesn't look nearly as good on it as it does in the IGN review. I looks kind-of blurry... Will buying HDMI Component cables for the Wii increase the quality at all? Thanks in advance.
    "Old enough to know better, Young enough to not give a fuck"

R.I.P. YusukeUrameshi aka Yusuke_The_Detective
    Quick Question:
    I play on an HD TV and this game doesn't look nearly as good on it as it does in the IGN review. I looks kind-of blurry... Will buying HDMI Component cables for the Wii increase the quality at all? Thanks in advance.

from what ive seen fuck no. Stay away from those cords, they make everything look jaggy and like shit. I havent tried them with monster hunter but they seriously made every other game i tried look like shit.