New Hampshire: The Sessions...Return of Salt Mines Starts 1/15/13

Comments

• capsuletoycocapsuletoyco BRAD KAIN! Joined: Posts: 540
    i don't think amane is going to be that great of a character, he doesn't seem to have high damage output or decent mix ups at this stage. we'll see though, it's only been out for a week.
  • NewBloodNewBlood Mika Boyz Joined: Posts: 945
    i don't think amane is going to be that great of a character, he doesn't seem to have high damage output or decent mix ups at this stage. we'll see though, it's only been out for a week.

True that homie. I like the Anji-esque flamboyance of the character and If he sucks all the better, seems to fit the criteria for what I normally like playing anyway haha:D. Bullet looks interesting, but not even close to what I imagined she would play like lol. Izayoi seems flashy and cool, but if she plays like Aegis which is the comparison I have heard I wont even bother. Azrael looks very interesting too. Time for more Dustloop lurking.
    The World is Lucky.

Despite How Much I Hate The World, I Have Decided To Mend It Rather Than Destroy It.

-Koko Hekmatyar

• NeXus.NeXus. Joined: Posts: 94
    Play Jin in CP. You'll thank me later.
  • komradekraigkomradekraig Joined: Posts: 634
    get it.

Good Matches Thursday Kraig like normal. Lots of take away especially how problematic nova can be. Haggar still a problem when he gets rolling and I run into lariat, but so easy to lame I can move past him as a true issue now. Nova seems to be the closest thing to a closer you have had in the anchor spot ever so might be worth keeping him there.
    The World is Lucky.

Despite How Much I Hate The World, I Have Decided To Mend It Rather Than Destroy It.

-Koko Hekmatyar

oh heeeeeeey everybody. Murry chrismas and all that jazz. how's everybody doing? I've got a gift for some of you guys so there will have to be some sort of gaming get together soon--laurence, nick, rich, tim. Where did all those other guys go anyway? You guys out there, still grinding?
    oh heeeeeeey everybody. Murry chrismas and all that jazz. how's everybody doing? I've got a gift for some of you guys so there will have to be some sort of gaming get together soon--laurence, nick, rich, tim. Where did all those other guys go anyway? You guys out there, still grinding?

Yea man, everyone is alive and kicking, just busy I assume with all the holiday stuff. Ill be approaching PWA this weekend just to get a feel for how things have changed/progressed around there and just reconnect. I hear brainbox is shutting down, not sure how true that is, but providing it is accurate i'm sure GU will now be even more of an epicenter for playing across the board and see an opportunity to establish PWA again given the general dearth of places to go.

So as to not get ahead of ourselves Kraig and I spoke about starting up a real salt mines again this month. I'm thinking Tuesday night Jan 15th 6-midnight as a tentative date. Regardless of whom shows up it'll be happening. I think one of the fallacies of my temperament before when running these was assuming a large group was needed to have a good session. I don't care if only one person comes, we will play. That will also eliminate the need to be concerned or check the forums if it has been cancelled regularly. If something comes up that's urgent ill post, but consistency and reliability are all I'm shooting for at the moment.

In addition since it is bi-weekly I figured the best use of time at months end would be to set out for GU. We've mentioned it numerous times, but I personally am in better position schedule wise to make this a reality going forward. So every second session will be a trip to Framingham (usually last Friday of each month). If there is a desire to keep it local just come to the next Tuesday Salt Mines session...again just for consistency. So thats it for now, ill update once I head over to PWA Friday.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Ok so checked out PWA this past weekend to see whats new and it seems like business is going very strong for them with some new machines pinball and otherwise. No new fighters, but that isnt their business. From talking with Sarah she is attempting to lease out an additional 9000 sq ft, for more games and storage. All of our old tv equipment is still there in case anyone was wondering and when approached about having us come back to start something she was more open to the idea.

As was the case last time she suggested that we can just come in and play the fighters that are there, which as we already know leaves a bit to be desired given what everyone currently plays. The back room where we use to have the fight nights has almost entirely been taken up with new and old arcade games leaving little space for us to operate. What I do think would be beneficial would be to utilize PWA once again as a tournament venue and ill shoulder the bi weekly stuff once again at my place. We received quite a bit of praise for the venue and quite frankly there isnt another place like it. Perhaps a small tournament to begin, gauge interest and take it from there. Regardless they would like us back so the door is open.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

i'm open to going back sometimes, it'd be nicer to get a day that's on the weekend though like friday nights.
    Tager finally gets the air command grab... hilarity ensues

also who is hype for how MLP: Fighting is Magic or whatever it is called is totally gonna be the EVO choice game? I mean, honestly, I watched like half of an entire tourney of it the other day. It really doesn't look too bad. This one pony with a hat had a wicked relaunch combo filled with like 6 double leg dropkick type shits into wallbounce into bionic pony head super and the other was like "yo, divekick to air combo to lightning cloud that causes ground bounce, take em up again, smash em on the ground go for mixup". i don't know. mechanics seemed cool.
    Tager finally gets the air command grab... hilarity ensues

also who is hype for how MLP: Fighting is Magic or whatever it is called is totally gonna be the EVO choice game? I mean, honestly, I watched like half of an entire tourney of it the other day. It really doesn't look too bad. This one pony with a hat had a wicked relaunch combo filled with like 6 double leg dropkick type shits into wallbounce into bionic pony head super and the other was like "yo, divekick to air combo to lightning cloud that causes ground bounce, take em up again, smash em on the ground go for mixup". i don't know. mechanics seemed cool.

Ill be trying out MLP, its got a bit of a buzz going and I like the Indie space given the gems on XBL and PC. Need something else to look at since both 2013 Marvel and Street Fighter will boil down to Fei, Akuma, Cammy or Doom, Vergil, zero and some space savers...:rolleyes:
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

you know those tager gimmicks are pretty much useless since you have to sacrifice 50 meter for very little reward, especially when you're going up against a dp character. until i see yumura or another amazing tager use them in actual match play i stand by what i just said.
    Salt Mines on tomorrow, Im looking forward to Best of 3 Marvel matches, and system link anarchy reigns! Feb 1st we will be taking our talents to GU. As stated ill be holding these sessions regardless of who shows up. Just putting up some time in case anyone wants to play, just let me know. Two peeps aside from me are expected so I am going in tomorrow expecting 3 people. We will be running from 6-11, midnight at the latest. So everyone can get home at a decent hour and me sleep lol.

EDIT: Dates of the upcoming sessions are on the front page for those interested in planning things out ahead of time.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

• richardorichardo Joined: Posts: 221
    edited October 2014
    Post edited by richardo on
    you know those tager gimmicks are pretty much useless since you have to sacrifice 50 meter for very little reward, especially when you're going up against a dp character. until i see yumura or another amazing tager use them in actual match play i stand by what i just said.

tim, squash the hate like on Family Matters. I said hilarity ensures, not tager automatically wins. geez. It's obviously about risk and reward which will be dependent on the character tiggums is up against--as you mentioned in your own way--as well as the larger situation--do they have meter/a burst/how much life do they have/do i have/are they familiar with the mixup? etc. It's still funny to see characters flying through the air all paralyzed though.

I'm in there tomorrow. Should be fun. excited to play. my january term online graduate class has been bending me over its knee for a couple weeks now. brutal. given the chance to play marvel or ae i'm gonna choose marvel every time these days. I still like watching ae matches though in tourneys. I just have no desire to play it when there are so many things i'm intrigued with in marvel right now.
    tim, squash the hate like on Family Matters. I said hilarity ensures, not tager automatically wins. geez. It's obviously about risk and reward which will be dependent on the character tiggums is up against--as you mentioned in your own way--as well as the larger situation--do they have meter/a burst/how much life do they have/do i have/are they familiar with the mixup? etc. It's still funny to see characters flying through the air all paralyzed though.

I'm in there tomorrow. Should be fun. excited to play. my january term online graduate class has been bending me over its knee for a couple weeks now. brutal. given the chance to play marvel or ae i'm gonna choose marvel every time these days. I still like watching ae matches though in tourneys. I just have no desire to play it when there are so many things i'm intrigued with in marvel right now.

Gimmicks have their place, but it matters not. Everybody get blown up when I start playing Amane;). Rich we can fire up AE for sure, we should probably start with it. It's never Marvel only anyway, we play whatever mang! No System link is ridiculous...Anarchy screams for system link especially with the bots setting. Oh well we should team up sometime this weekend via XBL and troll the fuck out some people. It'll be fun getting some hate mail hahaha.

Whenever international competition is involved I will always prefer to watch KOF over anything, with AE second and Marvel last. Across the board I just think everyone is so damn good at AE right now. It makes it a good time to watch as it seems the mechanics of the game are second nature and true strategy is now what separates people. Average level street fighter nowadays seems to be higher than it is for Marvel. Marvel just looks horrible atm when its played by anyone less than a tournament experienced, seasoned player with a dedicated team...Not much of that around imo.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Guys, just a reminder that sessions are bi weekly and to check the frnt page for the appropriate dates to show up ::cough:: kraig ::cough::. Next up is GU on Feb 1st.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

• Potable PotpourriPotable Potpourri Joined: Posts: 32
    Where did all those other guys go anyway? You guys out there, still grinding?
    Hey, Rob and myself still play SF all day, err day. Rob's back in school now, though, so you won't be seeing too much of him, unfortunately. However, I'll be getting my license soon, so I'll be able to make it down to the Salt Mines whenever.
    the hell happened to the srk forums? you people seeing this or am I just tripping ballz?
  • Potable PotpourriPotable Potpourri Joined: Posts: 32
    I dunno, I kinda like the new forum layout. It loads faster, anyhow.
    I like it too. SRK has been rather archaic in its presentation even to sites like eventhubs, which I now prefer. Got plans tonight since ive beard from a couple people they wont make it for the fight night. March 1 is GU for those interested. Anyone playing sfxt ill probably create a room tonight finally got a team, geeze.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Forum looks fine to me Kraig I think you might be tripping balls.

So hows everybody doing game wise?  I didn't pick SFxTekken back up as good as people say it is now, just not for me I guess.  If any of you guys are coming through my way on GU day let me know I'm kinda interested in going.  Looking to play some Marvel and maybe Blazblue or Persona if I'm feeling froggy enough.
    SFxT is fun. Gotta put in some work on that tonight for GU tomorrow...I'll be in Framingham for work tomorrow and will likely head straight there afterward. So if anyone was planning on going I wont be able to give you a ride unfortunately, but ill be there if you plan on making the drive.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

So front page has been updated with the updated Apartment and GU sessions. I know some of you went this past Friday. For coordination sake just shoot me a text and let me know if you are coming or just post up on the forums or something. So the idea was thrown about regarding running another tournament (thank you Rich) and given how successful our first go around was I would definitely be interested in doing it again. I'll be checking in with Sarah this week to see what dates are available, what demands she might have etc and report back. Depending on what she says it may not happen but worth a shot anyway. On an aside its probably a good idea to keep the games list small. We definitely had too much going the last time and it created chaos. Additional ideas:

-Grudge Matches: More of an exhibition piece or intermission after top 4 in each game is established. Reach out to people that are coming and see if they want to issue a challenge to a rival or someone that simply kicked them out of a previous tournament and run a quick FT5 set against them for all to see and bragging rights. We would of course have this advertised on the tournament page and a flyer so people have the lowdown before the tournament starts. 

-Regional battle: 3v3, 5v5 single elimination, team tournament. Could be as specific as needed such as Western MA, Central MA. Or broad like Maine, Mass, Conn, NH etc.

Winner Stays On: Like a royal rumble. Players pay to draw a number 1-20 (depending on attendance/interest, player cap could be higher) and enter the rumble. Whomever draws numbers 1 and 2 start the rumble. Winner stays and plays the next entrant until they are the last person standing and claims the pot at the end. Would likely have to be one game to keep it interesting and level out the playing field.

Got some more but won't get ahead of myself. Any other ideas like venue fee, game entrants pricing etc is welcome or just general interest in helping run it.  
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

How short are we looking to keep the game list?  I think a majority of the time issues came because BB teams took for-fucking-ever because it was best 2/3.

Obviously for games we have to have AE, Marvel, and SFxTK.  This probably leaves just KoF and or Persona for a 4th/5th game.
    I think one of the major issues was running teams and singles for our first tournament, it.spread us too thin and as you said games ran way too long. I think keeping it simple is the best way especially if we are just getting back into it and either making it a teams tournament or purely singles, not both.

Im thinking AE, Marvel and Persona. Being that its PWA im sure there will be a request to include arcade games of some kind from Sarah so there has to be room to accomodate that. There isnt a large tekken or kof scene in these parts for it to matter if they excluded from the lineup, however guilty gear could be another good edition as that community seems strong.

One concern that i had is our old room with PWA doesnt exist anymore as they noc longer reserve it for.bday parties etc. Its now packed with racing games. So space will be of concern.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

So GU is tomorrow, leaving around 7. If anyone is going text me today and let me know whats happening so I know if its worth the trip or not.

March is full of sessions updated on the (first page) to take advantage of if you want to play so dont feel obligated this week if next week works out better for your schedule.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

No GU ya'll, dat snow storm...Tuesday session is on so look forward to that if you are coming.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

• CitizenCIACitizenCIA Flipping tables since 96' Joined: Posts: 1,139
    NH. All the people I've met from NH have been rad. Lets be friends again. GU tournament on the 30th! Come on out plz! http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/176126/mar-30-2013-game-underground-monthlies-framinghamma
    USA's 7th best Hakan.
    "I'll write to Capcom after this, ask them to nerf Hakan" "Thank you..put him back where he should be."
    CitizenCIA wrote: »
    NH. All the people I've met from NH have been rad. Lets be friends again. GU tournament on the 30th! Come on out plz! http://forums.shoryuken.com/discussion/176126/mar-30-2013-game-underground-monthlies-framinghamma

I do believe we will be heading to this as discussed last night. And thanks for letting us know CIA!

I think the GU trips are going to be increasingly more important since it appears more than ever we've chosen our games of enjoyment and don't get much out of our own personal (apartment sessions) like we use to. So throughout the summer ill be putting up dates to make sure we are in there at least twice a month so everyone is getting their fix in something they like otherwise why play, right?

Notes from last night:

-A plea to be a little less negative about the well known, well beaten faults of UMVC3. Games been out over a year now its understood its a bad game where skilled players lose to scrubs (like me) all the time lol =P. The game doesn't make sense so whats the point of bringing logic where none exists?

-Tim I am holding your feet to the fire once CP releases; you said you would teach me how to BB=p.

-Kraig, Thanks for the bopping me (who didn't) , Ironman is coming along.

-Nick only person who gets salty while winning lol. Aside from your need to berate me at every turn for "mashing", calling me an idiot, while still putting up sizable win streaks (not sure I even won two games), obliterating my teams via OCV numerous times, and styling on me, I do think you should enter more tournaments man. You clearly have skill and most importantly the time to develop into a great player. Just my two cents.

The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Don't mistake marvel Nick and regular Nick cuz marvel Nick is an asshole. Regular Nick apologizes for marvel Nick being an asshole haha.

Anyway if we all decide to make the trip on the 30th I'll go theres no point in not going.
  • PhuriosOPhuriosO Joined: Posts: 3
    Hey guys I'm from Methuen, MA and I was thinking of joining you for sessions whenever possible. There are a couple guys down here who'd really appreciate some training against new people.

We mostly play the Capcom fighters but we'd gladly dabble into some BB or melee, if anyone still plays that.
    PhuriosO wrote: »
    Hey guys I'm from Methuen, MA and I was thinking of joining you for sessions whenever possible. There are a couple guys down here who'd really appreciate some training against new people.

We mostly play the Capcom fighters but we'd gladly dabble into some BB or melee, if anyone still plays that.

PhuriosO welcome! It seems you are a neighbor as I am right over the line in Salem near the Texas Roadhouse off 28. My in-laws live in Methuen, so I am familiar. Again welcome aboard we have seen quite a few faces pop in and then disappear unfortunately, so if you are serious about gathering, by all means feel free to stop by. As you may have seen on the first page we are starting to ramp things up a little bit and I am offering two different sessions: Casuals at my apartment in Salem and GU trips. Usually people will hit me up as the dates approach via forum or text so I know how many are coming.

Most of us have Asus monitors/sticks that are brought and can be brought depending on how many show up and we usually run things on xbox although there are PS3's for 3D fighters and anime fighters. We will play just about anything, but I don't believe there are any melee players in our midst currently. However if you play SF, Marvel and BB you will find more than adequate competition among us. I'll go ahead and add another session for this Tuesday March 19th, as e are currently setting our sights on attending the GU Tournament mentioned above as a group at the end of the month. I also think it would be a good chance to get introduced and get comfortable with everyone. Any other questions let me know!

The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Good to know! Well we're a group of around 5 people but most of us work 2nd shift jobs, unfortunately. On Tuesday I don't work, but I have school in the evening, to make things even more difficult. Usually I get out of ULowell around 8:30, would you guys still be playing that late?
    No worries man. We play till midnight or 1 am normally on weekday sessions. Since you are in Methuen if you came by its no issue I assume to get home within 15 mins or so. Ask your friends what would work for them and I would be happy to accommodate anytime next week also.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

so is anyone thinking of going to GU tomorrow? i am still undecided. i need to go get some work done on my car but if everyone wants to go i'd be down.
    Cant today, but im all in next week.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Nothing happening tomorrow gents as a reminder. GU Friday.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Im leaving later than expected tomorrow like 9pm from my place. There may be a snow storm as well so ill be playing it by ear for GU. If anyone is in fact going ill see ya there. If the snow gets in the way then it'll be UGS Saturday afternoon for a few hours.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

GU Friday if they are having it. Final Round this weekend ya'll. UMvC3 Regional Battle Royale exhibition! Ill have it up if anyone is free wants to come through for that and some Dave Chapelle episodes lol.
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Not sure about Friday. I'm planning to head down there on Saturday for the tournament though. Carpool?
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

that would never work....he's going to freeze those pipes then owe someone a lot of money
    So is that a no or what
    No to Saturday. On another note ill fill everyone in on what I have been working on behind the scenes over the last couple of weeks. I've been talking to one of my wife's friends from high school in an attempt to convince him to assist us in establishing our own venue and promoting a REAL scene. He is a successful business oriented guy and starting his own online magazine (The Daily Enthusiast) that indulges popular and lesser known hobbies/passions. He finally agreed to help us by utilizing the magazine (once complete) to market our future events and tournaments. Ill be meeting with him and his web designer early Saturday afternoon as the magazine will hopefully be up by the beginning of Summer (end of May at earliest) to discuss what they can do for us and what that will mean as we inch closer to summer.

Another topic we briefly touched upon that ill be hammering out with him this weekend will be venue and sponsorships. He is in New York right now meeting with sponsors to collaborate with his magazine. When those relationships are finalized in the coming weeks the plan is to have follow up meetings to discuss what we are trying to do and hopefully get them to agree to throw something our way monetarily to help with the purchase of stream equipment, tournament overhead, pot bonuses etc.

I am not certain where it all will lead or if it will lead to anything, but as a starting point I am excited that there is an opportunity to do much more than initially imagined and beyond what we achieved with the PWA tournament. Regardless my main goal is to find us a cool venue to replace PWA. While we could run something there isn't much space with all the new machines and Sarah keeps mentioning running tournaments without consoles so there would be a lot of pressure for us to do it their way and not one that would be FGC friendly. I also have not been able to get in touch with Adam.

I'm off tomorrow and the Curleh Mustache Event kicks off at 1pm EST if anyone is in the area, stop by. Speaking of which, where are the new guys???!! Haven't posted up in a little bit. =(
    The World is Lucky.

-Koko Hekmatyar

Sounds interesting. I am free Friday, but I won't be heading out. If anyone wants to come up to my place you are welcome to. I will be running the Final Round stream and probably be playing some Guilty Gear. Feel free to give me a call or text pretty much any time during the day.
  • CollCc_HackenfallCollCc_Hackenfall Joined: Posts: 6
    Yo. I may be relocating to New Hampshire in a couple of years. Lookin' to get into NH's FGC a little early. From the looks of things, you don't have much of a legitimate scene there?
    Hello CollCc_Hackenfall. Unfortunately we (all of us) may be relocating to somewhere in Canada in a couple of years. The original plan was to move to Alaska and become crab fishermen, but we finally decided on buying some land (in Canada) to start up a nice lab in order to make copious amounts of methamphetamine. Bad timing, I guess.. but maybe you can start your own legitimate scene around here if you do end up relocating in a couple of years.
    Anyone having sessions today