SFV Character Request/Anticipation Thread

24567622

Comments

  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    Street Fighter should get it's own Duck King.
    Dee Jay and Damnd from Final Fight Revenge pretty much fit the description.
  • MetroxylonMetroxylon Missing link? Joined: Posts: 2,633
    my last thoughts on this matter is "I hope Capcom doesn't resort to listening to fans for who to put in their games anymore."
    Are you clutch or crutch?
    Downback saved my life.
    Stand strong, do or die.

    https://youtube.com/user/SaveReplayandQuit/videos
  • EyeMonkEyeMonk Joined: Posts: 30
    Some Rival School Characters, Jack the Knife, Alex's Mentor (I Forgot his name), Dan's Father (brought back by Illuminati), & Hakan's wife.
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    EyeMonk wrote: »
    Some Rival School Characters, Jack the Knife, Alex's Mentor (I Forgot his name), Dan's Father (brought back by Illuminati), & Hakan's wife.
    What a LOL.
  • john4pjohn4p Joined: Posts: 817
    Dorai, Haggar and Necro

    SF5 will be about the end of Shadaloo. Charlie's there so Chun Li's father should be there, too - as a mind-controlled or cyborg S.I.N. weapon or Illuminati.
  • Omnicide_CutterOmnicide_Cutter Joined: Posts: 6
    Mel (Ken's son)
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    john4p wrote: »
    SF5 will be about the end of Shadaloo. Charlie's there so Chun Li's father should be there, too - as a mind-controlled or cyborg S.I.N. weapon or Illuminati.
    No, he shouldn't.
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,513
    Wonder if people will still be mad if Q is chun's dad. Though I can't see it myself personally.
  • SAOTOME2USAOTOME2U My favorite SF? Alpha 2 (minus CCs) Joined: Posts: 480
    Wonder if people will still be mad if Q is chun's dad. Though I can't see it myself personally.

    I wouldn't be mad, but just convinced Capcom doesn't actually care about the story they've made themselves (or hole they've dug for themselves).

    There are just some characters that have been dead, are dead, and will remain dead, and those are Goutetsu, Chun-Li's father, and Dan's father. All 3 are dead, and if they weren't they would be too old to fight as each are around Gen's age by now in SF3. I'll give Capcom a pass with Oro since he's ancient, but let's not make this a recurring thing. If we are ever to see those 3, it NEEDS to be in an SF Alpha version, and the story would have to happen when Ryu and Ken are perhaps Mel's age now. Speaking of Mel, he's too young to be fighting -- in SF3, he is 3 yrs old. Unless SFV happens at least 13 years after SF3, then let's let him be a kid. You really wanna be beating up a kid who hasn't even reached puberty yet? Long story short, unless Capcom does a complete reboot of SF, these characters, right now, can't happen.

    Someone made a point about Charlie, and that we all just assumed he was dead after he defeated Bison, but it was never confirmed, that's why he's back. Charlie not being dead, okay Capcom, fine. But at least he's still at an age where he can battle.
    A logical, and objective member of the FGC -- we exist.
    Twitter: @ YoSHO2U
  • C.Viper FanC.Viper Fan Jedah Joined: Posts: 148
    Magegg wrote: »
    Zatalcon wrote: »
    I agree about the old school buried fighters. Maybe Ruby Heart, Akira, Batsu, etc...
    Ruby Heart doesn't fit at all with Street Fighter, as for Batsu, there's really no need for him when there's already Ryu and Akuma.

    Batsu doesn't play like Akuma.

    -

    I'm hoping for characters representing the following countries: Canada, Australia, Finland, and some latin country that isn't Brazil, Mexico or Spain.
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2014
    Wonder if people will still be mad if Q is chun's dad. Though I can't see it myself personally.

    I wouldn't be mad but at this point it wouldn't make sense from what we know about Q. He has blonde hair barely peaking from underneath his mask in a few pics. I know we can't count artwork as the gospel but him being her father is a weird concept....even for the street fighter universe. I've wanted to know his story for a while but I feel ANYTHING at this point would be disappointing, no matter what background info it turned out to be. Better to keep the mystery...he still literally makes no sense which to me anyway is why he is so interesting. He wins a round, turns his back to the player in bewilderment looking up at the sky and all around rambling to himself, like he doesn't understand anything. Organic material present in his body but can survive detonations that come somewhere from him. Stalking after particular children who always seem to be well dressed indicating possible wealth or a lead for him to "investigate" (or maybe looking too far into that one). "X Ray" shots of him when electrocuted show some freaky muscle structure instead of bone and his mask, not what's behind it. The mask "eyes" are supposedly just cutouts with the yellow glow coming from whatever is behind it. A lot of neat details rolled into him that keep the questions coming on what he is. But if he's Chun's dad somehow, so be it.
    "Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose
  • R.P.D rookieR.P.D rookie Totally Destructed Joined: Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2014
    Double posted it up =/

    "Come up in that fucken cornfield!!" --Rocky L Rose
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    Batsu doesn't play like Akuma.
    He has the air hadouken, so there's no sense on having him.
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,513
    Who knows. I just want more Juri though. That is top priority for me right now.
  • ruthless_nashruthless_nash Joined: Posts: 2,218
    edited December 2014
    If existing capcom character:
    Dean from FF - Can play a bit like benimaru I guess
    Carlos from FF - (Not sure if they would have someone who fights with a sword though)
    Kyosuke from Rival Schools - Was too bad ass in CVS2 (even tho he was extremely low tier)
    Anyone else from Rival Schools - Dude with benimaru hair and knife? maybe he can play like Yamazaki from CVS2
    Colonel Wolfman from delta red (or any other delta red person - Maybe ginzu, who will play like Bao or Choi from KOF)
    Dudleys Butler - A secret badass? (see below re salaryman)

    New Character
    Dude from an Arab country - looks like your typical arab dude with a box beard with kheffiyah and sunglasses. He would use "Sand" attacks, I pictured him playing similar to Oswald from KOF

    Aborigini woman from Australia - Is a "crocodile hunter" like Steve Irwin. Uses "survival techniques"

    Mounty from Canada - Picture the show Due South. Would play a bit like Heidern.

    Sassy "drunk" woman from Ireland - Lookswise, imagine B.Jenet from Garou, but with red hair (obviously)

    Grappler from one of the Nordic countries (Maybe Sweden) - Picture one of the dudes from World Strongman contest. Zangief type.

    Indonesian Guy - Would wear a sarong and a muslim type "hat". Would practice Silat, with a small knife.

    Salaryman (any country) - would be the comic relief character. Would wear a suit and nerd glasses. Imagine phoenix wright with glasses. Would fight with briefcase. He knows how to fight because he was bullied at school and is secretly ripped and has several black belts in various martial arts. His win pose might actually reveal his true prowess. Cries when he physically lands attacks - even tho its him on the offensive - because he remembers all those bad childhood memories (lol) and he is getting his nerd revenge. Still has some teenage acne. Character name would actually BE Salaryman. Motivation for entering the tournament? to pay off his mortgage obviously.

    Black dude or woman with huge afro USA? - Stuck in the 70s? speak with the jive turkey language like black dynamite. Plays like fei longish with nun chucks with Karim Abdul Jabbar underwear and shirt from game of death.

    As you can see I like KOF alot, which isnt necessarily a bad thing :D (would love CVS3 btw if anyone cares)

  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    Dude with benimaru hair and knife? maybe he can play like Yamazaki from CVS2
    He already has his own original gamestyle, introducing him into Street Fighter only to change his gameplay? Don't think so.
    Dude from an Arab country - looks like your typical arab dude with a box beard with kheffiyah and sunglasses. He would use "Sand" attacks, I pictured him playing similar to Oswald from KOF
    Sand attacks? Could you explain that more? It sounds more like a Darkstalkers/Killer Instinct character, or it fits more with KOF, you know, all those weird energies they use. Otherwise, sounds truly stereotypical.
    Aborigini woman from Australia - Is a "crocodile hunter" like Steve Irwin. Uses "survival techniques"

    Sassy "drunk" woman from Ireland - Lookswise, imagine B.Jenet from Garou, but with red hair (obviously)

    Black dude or woman with huge afro USA? - Stuck in the 70s? speak with the jive turkey language like black dynamite. Plays like fei longish with nun chucks with Karim Abdul Jabbar underwear and shirt from game of death.
    I like these.
    Grappler from one of the Nordic countries (Maybe Sweden) - Picture one of the dudes from World Strongman contest. Zangief type.
    I don't think we need any more grappler.
    Salaryman (any country) - would be the comic relief character. Would wear a suit and nerd glasses. Imagine phoenix wright with glasses. Would fight with briefcase. He knows how to fight because he was bullied at school and is secretly ripped and has several black belts in various martial arts. His win pose might actually reveal his true prowess. Cries when he physically lands attacks - even tho its him on the offensive - because he remembers all those bad childhood memories (lol) and he is getting his nerd revenge. Still has some teenage acne. Character name would actually BE Salaryman. Motivation for entering the tournament? to pay off his mortgage obviously.
    No, please no. Street Fighter is overall a serious game. Even the most comic relief characters, like Dan or Hakan, are true martial arts. Salaryman just no, it sounds terrible, it reminds me of Norimaro on Marvel Superheroes vs Street Fighter.
  • C.Viper FanC.Viper Fan Jedah Joined: Posts: 148
    Forget about my other post, Mexico and Brazil could use some good/serious fighters.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited December 2014
    I need a girl grappler, built like She-Hulk here. I'm not talking about a quick rushdown gimmick character. I'm talking a legitimate grappler, a high health, highly damaging, slow-moving behemoth of a girl. 6'5, 230 lbs. Canadian lumberjill. Practices heavy athletics with some okichitaw. Has moves inspired by caber tossing, tree felling and log rolling. Has an ultra where she makes the northern lights appear by how hard she flips you in the air. And of course, like She-Hulk, has a booty drop.

    Caber toss:

    Standard damaging command grab. She grabs you by the legs and flips you high into the air, before catching you again and piledriving you.

    Log roll:

    Similar to Hugo's meat squasher, a corner-carrying command grab where she faceplants you into the ground and then "log rolls" your body by running on top of you, smashing you into the wall. Has her arms folded while she does it. Humiliating and damaging.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    I need a girl grappler, built like She-Hulk here. I'm not talking about a quick rushdown gimmick character. I'm talking a legitimate grappler, a high health, highly damaging, slow-moving behemoth of a girl. 6'5, 230 lbs. Canadian lumberjill. Practices heavy athletics with some okichitaw. Has moves inspired by caber tossing, tree felling and log rolling. Has an ultra where she makes the northern lights appear by how hard she flips you in the air. And of course, like She-Hulk, has a booty drop.
    Sounds completely terrible. Street Fighter is not about stereotypes, at least at not that extent. Why do everyone think about "lumberjacks" when they think of a Canadian fighter? That's like the lowest exercise of imagination possible, and the worst Capcom could do.
    Now add the "strong woman" stereotype, and what do you get? Some vomit-inducing big cheesy cartoonish stereotypical facepalmy uninspired and idiotique design, probably worthy of Clay Fighter or Kasumi Ninja at best.

    As "bad" as their designers might have become by the Street Fighter IV era, they wouldn't indulge in that pedestrian levels of design. I'm 99.8% sure if they ever introduce a Canadian character, it will have nothing to do with "lumberjacks", aside from probable some (terrible) alternate costume.
  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited December 2014
    Magegg wrote: »
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    I need a girl grappler, built like She-Hulk here. I'm not talking about a quick rushdown gimmick character. I'm talking a legitimate grappler, a high health, highly damaging, slow-moving behemoth of a girl. 6'5, 230 lbs. Canadian lumberjill. Practices heavy athletics with some okichitaw. Has moves inspired by caber tossing, tree felling and log rolling. Has an ultra where she makes the northern lights appear by how hard she flips you in the air. And of course, like She-Hulk, has a booty drop.
    Sounds completely terrible. Street Fighter is not about stereotypes, at least at not that extent.

    You don't know what you're talking about. Why is Zangief a red-wearing soviet musclehead who likes borscht and calls everyone "comrade"? Why are all the American characters blonde white guys, who are involved in the military, arrogant douchebags, or a really fat arrogant douchebag? Why does Fuerte keep talking about tortillas, quesadillas and burritos? Why is T. Hawk a native with feathers in his cap who talks about totems and goes "HAOW" and has a pet hawk? Why is Elena obsessed with animals and nature, and Dudley obsessed with tea? There's a level of stereotype to ALL the characters in SF. My character is actually less of a stereotype in comparison, unless you're deliberately imagining her as a comedy "fat and ugly" heavyweight girl, which is something only shitty western devs do, and not what I'm envisioning at all. Capcom is a Japanese company, they design all their girls according to what they like about girls. There isn't a single girl in the entire SF universe that they deliberately made unattractive, I don't see why they'd start here. Besides, Capcom already has an attractive heavyweight girl in the SF universe, which is B. Widow from Slammasters 2. That was the bodytype I imagined my character having, except with longer hair. So really your conclusion about it being an uninspired design is baseless and stupid since she only exists in concept at the moment anyways and you applied a "western studio" way of thinking to it.

    As someone who was born and raised in Canada I don't think of a lumberjack as being an offensive stereotype at all, and a "lumberjill" even less so since those are practically unheard of. Most people don't even know there's a term for a female lumberjack. Instead of an offensive thing I see it as a prideful representation of Canada. I don't know if you're aware but there's quite a lot of nature here, and some of the stereotypes ring true about us; we DO love drinking, we do love hockey, we have a lot of lumber which we get a lot of use out of, we like the cold, we love maple syrup and we do a lot of oil-related work. In any case, it's mostly an origin story, and an excuse to give her that awesome log rolling move which I take a lot of pride in.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    You don't know what you're talking about. Why is Zangief a red-wearing soviet musclehead who likes borscht and calls everyone "comrade"? Why are all the American characters blonde white guys, who are involved in the military, arrogant douchebags, or a really fat arrogant douchebag?
    Street Fighter II is no more.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Why does Fuerte keep talking about tortillas, quesadillas and burritos?
    Because he sucks. El Fuerte is a failure of a character.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Dudley obsessed with tea??
    That's still a very VERY little detail, Dudley's not exactly your stereotype of an English man, that would be Eagle, maybe.

    I see it like this:
    - Street Fighter I = Bland stereotypes.
    - Street Fighter II = Hugely exaggerated and colorful stereotypes, only with really unique and attractive designs gimmicks.
    - Street Fighter 0 = Anime and mostly unique designs
    - Street Fighter III = Exotic and unique designs with some little anime inspirations (I'm looking at you, Q, Yun, Yang, Gill...)
    - Street Fighter IV = Weird and grotesque designs (in one way or another) mainly (Abel and C. Viper are exceptions, Juri's really over the top, the rest are horrible)

    Take Street Fighter III for example, Oro is not your stereotypical Brazilian, Remy and Abel are not your stereotypical French men, Elena is not your stereotypical African girl, and at some extent they just stopped caring about nationality representations.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    As someone who was born and raised in Canada I don't think of a lumberjack as being an offensive stereotype at all, and a "lumberjill" even less so since those are practically unheard of.
    It's still the most boring representation of a Canadian stereotype, and Canadian fighters are for sure nothing alike. Lumberjacking is not a martial art.
    Better look at what Dead or Alive did with their Canadian boxing man, a character doesn't have to be an stereotype to represent a country.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Most people don't even know there's a term for a female lumberjack. Instead of an offensive thing I see it as a prideful representation of Canada. I don't know if you're aware but there's quite a lot of nature here, and some of the stereotypes ring true about us; we DO love drinking, we do love hockey, we have a lot of lumber which we get a lot of use out of, we like the cold, we love maple syrup and we do a lot of oil-related work. In any case, it's mostly an origin story, and an excuse to give her that awesome log rolling move which I take a lot of pride in.
    Lumberjacks still make nothing sense. I like Mexico and a Mexican high flyer luchador makes sense since it's a martial art (even when the food references are so offensive and idiotique, but let's face it, that's what Japan likes about Mexico, the food), but they wouldn't add a Mexican charro fighter wearing a sombrero and fighting with a Mariachi guitar.

    A colorful and cartoony character like that can work in a "festival" game like the MvC series, but not on Street Fighter.
  • FengShuiEnergyFengShuiEnergy Serving my robot overlords <3 Joined: Posts: 12,513
    If there is a canadian fighter it better not be a lumberjack type.....oh please no. I don't know how they would do it but no reference to igloo's, lumberjacks or any....."old" Canadian stereotype. Ours are just bad........

    Or if it turns out to be true....Juri could use a new punching bag......and I wouldn't mind seeing her wipe the floor with me...I mean "ahem"...... "us".
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Again, if we're judging characters based on how stereotypical they are, mine is no more stereotypical than Elena (who is a dancing tribal princess that talks to rhinos and elephants, I should remind you).
    Her personality still has absolutely nothing to do with what people think about African people.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    And I quite clearly said my character's fighting style is based on okichitaw and strength athletics, not "lumberjacking" as if it's a martial art. That's just a failure of reading comprehension on your part. The fact that I came up with two moves for her regarding her that are loosely related to lumberjacking (when they're actually just clever subversions of stereotypes) is not indicative of her as a whole, because there's still a whole movelist to fill up with other styles of moves. Caber tossing isn't even a Canadian thing, it's from Scotland.
    Still the most boring I've ever heard.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    You just straight up admitted that lot of the characters are stereotypes, going against your earlier sentiment that they "aren't stereotypical to this extent". Even SF3 has characters designed with stereotypes in mind, like Alex, Elena, Dudley, Sean and the Lee twins. They're LESS stereotypical than what they had before, but they're still stereotypical.
    Nah, I don't think they're stereotypical at all, there's a huge difference between having some air from a country and being a stereotype.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    I don't really care about that though, as long as it results in characters that are interesting. My character is not such a stereotype, I'm not gonna have her wearing a toque and gargling maple syrup. She just works in a milling facility, which is actually quite common around here, and has some moves inspired by it.

    Street Fighter isn't about colorful characters? That's nonsense, get the fuck out of here. If it didn't have a colorful cast then the roster would be full of bland, boring losers like Mike and Joe from SF1.
    There's a huge difference between "colorful" and "straight from a kids coloring book".

    I just read your idea of a character and I think in the boar girl from Bloody Roar, and that sucks and doesn't belong to Street Fighter.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    That's even MORE fucking boring. What's the point? Boxing does not have anything to do with Canada, so now you have a character who doesn't even have anything based on their Canadian heritage, which means the character might as well be from anywhere. There's no point in saying he's from Canada. Street Fighter ALWAYS manifests some representation of the characters' homes when they design them. They don't just randomly make a character and say "oh he's from South America or something". There's always a tie-in to their heritage.
    That's exactly the idea, a character DOES NOT necessarily have to look like your stereotypical idea of people from some country. KOF for example, Angel is not your stereotypical Mexican girl and they LOVE her in Mexico. Because with her they dared to break the tradition.
    Take Elena, is Capoeira an African martial art? Not at all. I'm sure if you were you would give her some voodoo powers or something.
    Do skateboarding and rollerskates have something to do with China? Nope. But they gave that to Yun and Yang simply to make them unique, the fact they wear Chinese shirts doesn't make them stereotypes.
    Does Necro looks Russian to you?

    Street Fighter itself is sick of stereotypes, and if they're bringing a Canadian character for first time to the franchise, I don't want it to be a lumberjack.
    Russian wrestler? OK, made sense, specially since they based him on a real person.
    Military American? Made sense, militar boxing exists.
    Dhalsim? Stretching arms is not really an Indian stereotype, but thanks to that he became a unique character.
    But look at Claw, for example, a Spanish mix between a ninja and a matador, much more than a stereotype. Look at Cammy. Look at Rose. That's what Street Fighter is about. Who the hell has true respect for T. Hawk, or Dee Jay, as character designs? No one, really.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    I respect Dee Jay and any proud black man for that matter. Racist. 6CbxaPc.jpg
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

    SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

    PSN: CaptDeepThot


  • PSYCH0J0SHPSYCH0J0SH Joined: Posts: 5,469
    edited December 2014
    Magegg wrote: »
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Again, if we're judging characters based on how stereotypical they are, mine is no more stereotypical than Elena (who is a dancing tribal princess that talks to rhinos and elephants, I should remind you).
    Her personality still has absolutely nothing to do with what people think about African people.

    Are you kidding? The idea behind her reaches 1940's propaganda sort of stereotyping.
    Still the most boring I've ever heard.

    I disagree, and don't really care what you think.
    There's a huge difference between "colorful" and "straight from a kids coloring book".

    This statement makes no sense at all. Where, in a kids coloring book, would you ever find any of these characters, mine in particular? I don't understand.
    I just read your idea of a character and I think in the boar girl from Bloody Roar, and that sucks and doesn't belong to Street Fighter.

    Then don't think of that character. Why would you think of a Bloody Roar character in Street Fighter? That also makes no sense.
    That's exactly the idea, a character DOES NOT necessarily have to look like your stereotypical idea of people from some country.

    Okay. Where did I say anything about what my character looked like? You just automatically jumped to a conclusion that it "looked like" a stereotypical image of a Canadian, which... I don't even know what that looks like, if one exists. You're basing this all on the fact that I mentioned she worked as a lumberjill, and nothing more. I think you might be the one with stereotypes ingrained in your psyche. Contrary to what you believe not all of them have a specific "look" to them.
    Take Elena, is Capoeira an African martial art? Not at all.

    Ahem...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira
    Capoeira [..] was developed in Brazil mainly by African descendants with native Brazilian influences, probably beginning in the 16th century.

    Capoeira's history probably begins with the beginning of African slavery in Brazil. Since the 17th century, Portuguese colonists began exporting slaves to their colonies, coming mainly from West Africa. Brazil, with its vast territory, received most of the slaves, almost 40% of all slaves sent through the Atlantic Ocean.

    The early history of capoeira is still controversial, especially the period between the 16th century and the beginning of the 19th century, since historical documents were very scarce in Brazil at that time. But oral tradition and evidence leaves little doubt about its African roots.

    Another place where you're wrong. You were saying?
    Do skateboarding and rollerskates have something to do with China? Nope. But they gave that to Yun and Yang simply to make them unique, the fact they wear Chinese shirts doesn't make them stereotypes.

    I was referring more to the fact that they're both kung fu movie stereotypes and their names are literally "Yin and Yang" but okay whatever.
    Street Fighter itself is sick of stereotypes, and if they're bringing a Canadian character for first time to the franchise, I don't want it to be a lumberjack.
    Russian wrestler? OK, made sense, specially since they based him on a real person.
    Military American? Made sense, militar boxing exists.
    Dhalsim? Stretching arms is not really an Indian stereotype, but thanks to that he became a unique character.
    But look at Claw, for example, a Spanish mix between a ninja and a matador, much more than a stereotype. Look at Cammy. Look at Rose. That's what Street Fighter is about. Who the hell has true respect for T. Hawk, or Dee Jay, as character designs? No one, really.

    The game is "sick of stereotypes" even though the latest game brought back all of the stereotyped characters and even made new ones like Hakan, Fuerte and Rufus. Okay then.

    And again, you're basing this all on your ignorant assumptions of what I intended for my character idea instead of what I actually intended. You personally believe that I intended for her to be some of stereotype like T. Hawk or Dee Jay simply because I mentioned her occupation. This whole time you've been talking out of your ass because of a personal image you have about Canadians instead of what was actually insinuated. You've been exposed as an idiot, thanks for playing.
    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

    GigaMaidens on twitter - on deviantArt - on Discord

    ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬



  • d3vd3v Coughing DAT PINK SPIT Joined: Posts: 37,144 mod
    edited December 2014
    Batsu won't be added because Rival Schools isn't part of the Street Fighter shared universe (Street Fighter, Final Fight, Captain Commando). And before you bring it up, Sakura was only a guest character in the PS1 version.
  • OilforthewinOilforthewin BETTER RED THAN DEAD. Joined: Posts: 1,847
    edited December 2014
    Magegg wrote: »
    I like Mexico and a Mexican high flyer luchador makes sense since it's a martial art (even when the food references are so offensive and idiotique, but let's face it, that's what Japan likes about Mexico, the food), but they wouldn't add a Mexican charro fighter wearing a sombrero and fighting with a Mariachi guitar.

    You mean a Mexican high flyer isn´t stereotypical? Lucha Libre also contains a lot of mat based wrestling or brawling, not only high flying action.
    You know, why we have this image of "Mexican high flyer luchadors"? It is because, the American promotions specifically signed smaller luchadores to show matches with a lot of highspots.( Definition:"Highspot (n) A move, usually aerial, that includes fast motion among two or more wrestlers; often risk is involved or at least perceived.")
    http://www.pwtorch.com/insiderglossary.shtml
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    This whole time you've been talking out of your ass because of a personal image you have about Canadians instead of what was actually insinuated. You've been exposed as an idiot, thanks for playing.
    He is a dude, who thinks that Turkey is a 3rd world cesspool and that families there have a lot children(See at Hakan and his 7 kids). Also that the people of Cuba want to be liberated by the US. I mean, we all are able to say extremely dumb stuff, but the opinion about Turkey and Cuba is just pure ignorance.

    You guys shouldn´t overinterpret everything.
    Post edited by Oilforthewin on
    "LAST WEEK ON MONDAY NIGHT NITRO, EVERYBODY SEE THE MOST HORRIFIC INJURY IN THE HISTORY OF DIS SPORTS, AND I GOT LISTEN TO YOU TWO IDIOTS SAYIN IT'S A FREAK ACCIDENT! WELL WHAT HAPPEN IS SID VICIOUS RAN INTO THE FREAK. SEE SID VICIOUS CAME OFF THE TOP ROPE, HE HIT DA MASSIVE CHEST OF THE GENETIC FREAK, AND HE FELT DA POWER, AND DAT POWER, SENT HIS LEG DOWN TO THE MAT, SHATTERED HIS LEG, AND HIS DREAMS, OF EVER BECOMIN' WORLD CHAMPYEN AGAIN! SO SID VICIOUS, I'M SEND YOU A PRESENT! I'M SEND YOU THESE TWO PRO- JABRONIES TO LAY NEXT TO YOU IN Y'ALL CAN TALK ABOUT THE SAME THING! YA CAN TALK ABOUT ME, DA MAN WHO SENT CHOO THERE! BUT SID VICIOUS, I DON'T FEEL SORRY FOR YOU, BECAUSE I GAVE YOU FAIR WARNING, TO WALK AWAY! JUST LIKE I WARNED STING, JUST LIKE I WARNED BOOKER T, AND NOW, KEVIN NASH, I'M WARNIN' YOU, BEFORE YOU SSS- DECIDE TO SHOW UP AT SUPERBRAWL, YOU THINK ABOUT DIS! I'M BIG POPPA PUMP, I DON'T FRAKE IT, I BREAK IT!"
  • BB_HoodyBB_Hoody Nice plane you have there. Be a Shame if something went wrong in flight and it crashed Joined: Posts: 5,028
    edited December 2014
    IDK why Magegg is being so judgemental and up tight about stereotypes. Most of his arguments come from his own assumptions and nothing to do with what the other guy said. Stereotypes aren't bad by default, as the old saying goes "stereotypes exist for a reason". What's so bad about using a few positive stereotypes here and there for a character? Wouldn't a Canadian gamer be happy to see themselves represented in Street Fighter? Sure a full blown stereotype like T.Hawk or Dee Jay would suck, but I think having a stereotype for a base then adding some flare to the character I.E Yang, Yun, Ken ( yeah I said Ken ) would be great. That what the Lumber Jack lady sounds like.
  • LivewireXLivewireX Joined: Posts: 5,914
    I'm just gonna say the notion that DOA having a Boxer from Canada is stupid because "what does Boxing have to do with Canada?" is a pretty dumb line of reasoning. It's cool because he's from Canada so it's nice to see us represented, and since we're not much different from the US or the UK...if they can have boxing types, why not?

    And really, C.Viper would be something seen as weirder than a Boxer from Canada since you'd kind of expect a spy thing to be from like the UK because the most famous fictional spy is James Bond, etc. Plus...I'm pretty sure the US doesn't have a lot of people who resemble female versions of Reno from Final Fantasy VII.
  • CaptainGinyuCaptainGinyu Choppin Bricks Like Karate Joined: Posts: 1,978
    BB_Hoody wrote: »
    IDK why Magegg is being so judgemental and up tight about stereotypes. Most of his arguments come from his own assumptions and nothing to do with what the other guy said. Stereotypes aren't bad by default, as the old saying goes "stereotypes exist for a reason". What's so bad about using a few positive stereotypes here and there for a character? Wouldn't a Canadian gamer be happy to see themselves represented in Street Fighter? Sure a full blown stereotype like T.Hawk or Dee Jay would suck, but I think having a stereotype for a base then adding some flare to the character I.E Yang, Yun, Ken ( yeah I said Ken ) would be great. That what the Lumber Jack lady sounds like.

    Stereotypes are generally mass generalizations that only reinforce existing prejudices against a people, they're usually bad and in all cases they're a very lazy line of thinking.

    However, there isn't really anything too wrong with a stereotype for a character in a video game like SF, though I could be wrong on this one.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”-Jimi Hendrix
    Take the Raw Vegan challenge! Lol nah fam, I don't even do this shit anymore.

    SFV: Zangief Sub: Juri
    GGXRD Revalator: Ramlethal Valentine
    KOF XI: Terry/Oswald/Gato | KOF 14: Terry/NAK/KOD, Terry/Yamazaki/KOD

    PSN: CaptDeepThot


  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    edited December 2014
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Are you kidding? The idea behind her reaches 1940's propaganda sort of stereotyping.
    No.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    This statement makes no sense at all. Where, in a kids coloring book, would you ever find any of these characters, mine in particular? I don't understand.
    A lumberjack is the most stereotypical thing you can picture about Canadians, period.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Then don't think of that character. Why would you think of a Bloody Roar character in Street Fighter? That also makes no sense.
    Cause your description fits that character so much.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    Ahem...

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Capoeira
    Capoeira [..] was developed in Brazil mainly by African descendants with native Brazilian influences, probably beginning in the 16th century.

    Capoeira's history probably begins with the beginning of African slavery in Brazil. Since the 17th century, Portuguese colonists began exporting slaves to their colonies, coming mainly from West Africa. Brazil, with its vast territory, received most of the slaves, almost 40% of all slaves sent through the Atlantic Ocean.

    The early history of capoeira is still controversial, especially the period between the 16th century and the beginning of the 19th century, since historical documents were very scarce in Brazil at that time. But oral tradition and evidence leaves little doubt about its African roots.

    Another place where you're wrong. You were saying?
    The fact Brazilians are African-descent doesn't mean a Kenian should know Capoeira, that would be like saying Congolese people should be doing gangsta rap only because it was invented by African American.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    I was referring more to the fact that they're both kung fu movie stereotypes and their names are literally "Yin and Yang" but okay whatever.
    The names are not enough to stereotype a character, man.
    PSYCH0J0SH wrote: »
    The game is "sick of stereotypes" even though the latest game brought back all of the stereotyped characters and even made new ones like Hakan, Fuerte and Rufus. Okay then.
    I don't think neither Hakan, Fuerte or Rufus are stereotypes in the strict sense, while they take a couple cues from stereotypical ideas but they're overall original inventions:
    Hakan has a really stereotypical personality according to what people imagine of Middle Eastern men, but his design is completely original and has nothing to do with stereotyping.
    Rufus is a mix between two or three completely different things, the idea of an overweight American is sort of an stereotype (not really seen in Japanese media often) but not when applied to fighting, he rides a motorcycle which is kind of a stereotype, then they give him a kung-fu fighting style and a costume vaguely inspired in Bruce Lee and more in common with Lien from KOF MI, then he's far away from being a stereotype.
    Fuerte I wouldn't say he's an stereotype simply because of being a luchador, that would be like saying a Korean TKD fighter is a stereotype. It might be an archetype and one that makes sense, one stupid stereotype would be Fuerte being a Mariachi fighter. His design is nothing special and the only truly stereotypical thing about him is his obsession with Mexican cuisine.

    Anyway, those three characters are failures and they're not much appreciated precisely because of the grotesque stereotypical details they gave him. That's the reason why you shouldn't be doing stereotypes anymore.

    To create a cool character you must stay away from the cartoon coloring book stereotypes, you can take a couple gimmicks from different countries stereotype but they have to make sense. Why a lumberjack? That's just as stereotypical as a mariachi for Mexico, and doesn't make sense in the fighting context. What do you think is a cool design, Vega/Claw, or Laurence Blood from Fatal Fury 2?
    d3v wrote: »
    Batsu won't be added because Rival Schools isn't part of the Street Fighter shared universe (Street Fighter, Final Fight, Captain Commando).
    They could start integrating it to the shared universe. Or at least a couple characters. If there was a version of Sakura in Rival Schools, why not alternate universe versions of characters like Akira, Kyosuke or Ryu could exist in the Street Fighter universe?
  • MageggMagegg Joined: Posts: 4,010
    edited December 2014
    Rufus is a pretty obvious stereotype of the American man in a global sense.

    A fat, unintelligent, loud, boisterous, superficial, arrogant, white man who has an ego way too big to match his actual accomplishments in life.

    Americans believing the the Kung-fu in movies is real live martial arts is actually a pretty common stereotype in parts of Asia.
    And that was why people didn't like it. It was a terrible stereotype (specially because it has nothing to do with fighting) AND the execution was really grotesque. Look at Bob in Tekken, is basically the same idea, but without the "Capcomized" design style.

    I think Street Fighter IV character designers have a chance to be good, as long as they stop basing their designs in grotesque stereotypes.
    But then I look at the alternate costume designs and say "damn, there's no way these guys can design something good..."
  • DANZANDANZAN Joined: Posts: 6,582
    ST dictator
    angelpalm wrote: »
    People have to complain to counter act that massive influx of idiot gamers that just eat whatever shit pie developers and studios crap out in front of them. If people didn't complain we would all be playing NMS for years right along side the martian.
  • SideshowRobSideshowRob Brb, busy saving anime Joined: Posts: 321
    No stereotypes. :/ I'm all up for colorful, exaggerated, larger than life depictions of people, but character designs don't have to be rooted in BS generalizations of entire races, "positive" or negative.

    I DEFINITELY wouldn't mind a Jim Kelly homage, though.
  • learis1learis1 Guardian Cadet Joined: Posts: 823
    What's wrong with stereotypes? Balrog's one of the most offensive stereotypes and I'm fine with it. He's stupid, violent, and obsessed with money. Can't get more stereotypical than that, and I love him for it. No offense to all the brothas out there lolololol.
    Get Serious!

    Location: South Florida (N. Miami)

    SF5: Fighter Tag: Learis1
    main char: Ryu
    avg lp: 3500

    SF4: main char: Fei Long
  • SideshowRobSideshowRob Brb, busy saving anime Joined: Posts: 321
    edited December 2014
    It's a little harder to understand the impact of anti-black stereotypes like that if you're not a "brotha" yourself. Possible, just much harder.

    Diversity of personality is what I'm really asking for. If greedy, stupid brutes like Balrog have to exist, fine. But give me more Dudleys (if he's black) and Elenas (minus the noble savage traits, pls) to more than balance out the Balrogs, Mikes, and Birdies.

    And don't get me started on Deejay and Sean...

    And for the record, the bolded applies to more than just the black characters.
  • ProjectjusticeProjectjustice young old guy Joined: Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    edited December 2014
    Capcom wheres my Dominican Rep fighter? Street Fighting is huge in that country. I did it everyday when I lived there. lol

    learis1 wrote: »
    What's wrong with stereotypes? Balrog's one of the most offensive stereotypes and I'm fine with it. He's stupid, violent, and obsessed with money. Can't get more stereotypical than that, and I love him for it. No offense to all the brothas out there lolololol.

    As terrible as it is, I know a lot of brothers that are like this. lol
    Fightcade, Steam and XBL tag: Projectjustice
    PSN: Projectjustice77
Sign In or Register to comment.