Fightcade ST discussion!

x64x64 Fuck your SRKJoined: Posts: 3,187
Surprised there wasn't a dedicated thread yet. Anywho, props to POF, this thing is great. No blips, connection issues, or anything so far. Few questions:

1. What are we supposed to do with replay links? Are they archived somewhere? Do we just copy/paste them down after we exit a match?
2. Any reason why the japanese rom is being used instead of the US rom?
3. Will Fightcade eventually auto-update like supercade?

Muchas gracias. Keep up the good work!
ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
Fightcade/USF2: x64

Comments

• 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 458
    I'll give it a shot.
    good to hear no more port forwarding
  • Born2SPDBorn2SPD SPD Fanatic Joined: Posts: 276
    edited December 2014
    1. What are we supposed to do with replay links? Are they archived somewhere? Do we just copy/paste them down after we exit a match?
    Type in the chat /replay replay_id to watch the replay. You can browse all the stored replays here: http://www.fightcade.com/replay/
    There are some reasons for it:
    1. No O.Gief bug (compared with the WORLD version...)
    2. N.Gief is more balanced (Instant stun on his headbutt)
    3. Its the version that the real pros play?
    If i remember well, pof himself said that he would work on something like that in the future.

I keep reading stuff about ST revival, about bringing this game back to life...
    Its nice to see big tourneys happening and old top players giving this game a chance again...
    But what we really need is new players... And having a strong scene obviously helps...
    But in my opinion what will really bring new players to our community is good tutorials/character guides so they can learn easily and have something to start... So, actually good players, stop being selfish and write stuff about the chars you know! The wiki is lacking so much basic content... Stop being lazy and do something about it.
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Born2SPD wrote: »
    Type in the chat /replay replay_id to watch the replay. You can browse all the stored replays here: http://www.fightcade.com/replay/
    If i remember well, pof himself said that he would work on something like that in the future.

Interesting. Didn't realize the jap rom was standard. Always thought the CPS2 board was just more common. I'm going to miss seeing the correct US names for the bosses :( Hope the replay system on fightcade.com eventually can be auto-uploaded to youtube or something. That would be awesome.

• BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    edited December 2014
    I'm fairly new to emulated ST, tried setting up GGPO a while back and the port forwarding was too frustrating with the router I had from comcast and would never stick for what ever reason, so this is a godsend.

My question is, I'm running the Japanese version of ST, is defaults to Turbo 2, but when I got to set dip switches it's grayed out. How do I go about switching that?

Also, @studtrooper do you plan on updating the first post with links or info relating to optimizing set-ups for emulated ST, or perhaps flagging someone down to consolidate these things for and "Official" Fightcade thread?
    Post edited by BurnYourEgo on
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
    Also, @studtrooper do you plan on updating the first post with links or info relating to optimizing set-ups for emulated ST, or perhaps flagging someone down to consolidate these things for and "Official" Fightcade thread?

I'd be happy to update the OP with any pertinent info.
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,034
    Team GGPO here!
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    Has ggpo been down for awhile? I dont sign on to much admittedly but it seems when ever ive tried to sign on the past week or 2 says my password is wrong for some reason 0_o... More topic though of fightcade.. fightcade seems to run weird on my PC. It was already hard enough getting GGPO to work on windows 8. But this is even worse for me, I dunno how to fiddle with the settings but its just off. I know I can do mizoguchis infinite among many other pretty crazy harder execution combos in other games with 200+ ping a lot of times on GGPO and supercade. But fightcade? I have trouble doing it even with like 50-60 ping. Timing just seems different in it for everything thing ive played. =/ Not impressed myself shrug
  • TelMarineTelMarine Joined: Posts: 37
    Born2SPD wrote: »

I figured it's because, by default, you could select speed on the World version. Some years ago turbo1 on the world version was gaining steam as the closest to the real deal/japanese version.
    TelMarine wrote: »
    I figured it's because, by default, you could select speed on the World version. Some years ago turbo1 on the world version was gaining steam as the closest to the real deal/japanese version.

Something I still don't think was discussed enough. Turbo 1 feels way slower than the T2-US/T3-Jap default.

• eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714

A buddy of mine actually plays on T1 on the World Version on his supergun at home, and he thinks it's noticeably slower than T3 on Japan Version. It's as close as it gets, since T2 on World is WAY too fast, but I wouldn't say it's as close to the real deal as it gets.

USA T2 still feels a lot closer to Japan T3 than anything else I've encountered.

eltrouble wrote: »

A buddy of mine actually plays on T1 on the World Version on his supergun at home, and he thinks it's noticeably slower than T3 on Japan Version. It's as close as it gets, since T2 on World is WAY too fast, but I wouldn't say it's as close to the real deal as it gets.

USA T2 still feels a lot closer to Japan T3 than anything else I've encountered.

What turbo setting is the jap rom set to in Fightcade? Can we get a honest discussion going on the merits of going back to tourney standard T3?

What turbo setting is the jap rom set to in Fightcade? Can we get a honest discussion going on the merits of going back to tourney standard T3?

No clue. You'd have to go into the test menu and see what speed it is.

The tourney standard has ALWAYS been T3. It's been this way for some time. The problem is that with emulation and/or internet latency, the "tourney standard" might not feel the same. It's really up to the community to decide what's a relatively appropriate replacement for it. Afaik, it's set to the same standard as GGPO, which has always felt faster than offline ST, which always confused me.
    edited December 2014
    The tourney standard has ALWAYS been T3.

Well, yeah, for the jap rom. I don't think anyone disagrees with US-T2/JAP-T3.
    The problem is that with emulation and/or internet latency, the "tourney standard" might not feel the same. It's really up to the community to decide what's a relatively appropriate replacement for it. Afaik, it's set to the same standard as GGPO, which has always felt faster than offline ST, which always confused me.

I agree that the World rom at T2 might have been a tiny bit faster, but I've always thought that T1 felt WAY slower than it should. It took forever for me to adjust.

@pof What turbo setting did you put the rom at?
  • pofpof Joined: Posts: 28
    The savestate for ST has Japanese Turbo 1 (US Turbo 0) set by default. It is set this way because due to online latency and frame skipping, it's what feels closest to offline turbo 3. On GGPO the default was US Turbo 1 (JP turbo 2), a bit too fast for the opinion of most people.
    edited December 2014
    pof wrote: »
    The savestate for ST has Japanese Turbo 1 (US Turbo 0) set by default. It is set this way because due to online latency and frame skipping, it's what feels closest to offline turbo 3. On GGPO the default was US Turbo 1 (JP turbo 2), a bit too fast for the opinion of most people.

Who's opinion? Turbo 1 was too fast on the World GGPO ST rom? I've never heard anyone say that. Can we put this up to a vote?

• ISIMORNISIMORN CLAW Joined: Posts: 74
    Fightcade is a beast, thank you POF for your work !
  • pofpof Joined: Posts: 28
    Hey ISIMORN! :D glad to see you around :)
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    I for one think the speed is just fine the way it is, and props to pof for going with this decision! On a separate note, is there a way to reset your password? I don't seem to see any link on the website to do so.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
  • NaerasNaeras Terribad Joined: Posts: 3,391
    Played some games on the platform yesterday, had a blast. Seems that there's quite a bit of variety in both character usage and skill levels amongst the players, which is great.
  • ArtVandelayArtVandelay Architect Joined: Posts: 5,520
    Downloaded that stuff today, played Vampire Savior for the first time in my life and fell in love instantly.
    Shit that game is gorgeous.
    Might get into 3S though since a lot more players seem to be playing it on Fightcade.

Couple of questions:

1. Can you somehow get something like a training room for Vampire Savior, 3S and ST using this arcade emulator?
    2. Is it hard to find shitty players?
    3. Are there tournaments going on FightCade and if so can you somehow spectate them via stream or something?
    CFN: NaughtySenpai
  • UtilityKeysUtilityKeys Silver Scrub Joined: Posts: 176
    1. Can you somehow get something like a training room for Vampire Savior, 3S and ST using this arcade emulator?

You can get cheat files for use with the ggpofba.exe. You can find them by digging around on Google. I once found one that had a ton of cheats for Neo Geo games, but I can't find the page where I first got it right now. The first result on Google is this and though it doesn't have any Neo Geo cheats, the Vampire Savior ones seem to work just fine. That said, there are a couple of big exceptions to FBA cheats.

First is Super Turbo. It doesn't work with FBA cheats. If you set the 2P to have infinite health, they just don't enter hitstun most of the time, or attacks might pass through them. It's weird. Anyway, there are a bunch of really great alternative training room-setups for MAME that people have made. Including Pof, who set up Fightcade in the first place. Here's a link to his one, I have it set up and it's really good.

Second is 3rd Strike. I haven't bothered to check if cheats for stuff like Jojo's or Red Earth work, so it might just be CPS3 in general. I know 2nd Impact doesn't work either. If you try to activate a cheat, you get a window pop up saying "Guru Meditation Error" or something followed by a string of characters. You can run a 3rd Strike training room pretty easily just using MAME though. I think even the standard cheats that you can get for MAME will work fine.

3. Are there tournaments going on FightCade and if so can you somehow spectate them via stream or something?

There was a Super Turbo tournament hosted by Arturo Sanchez on his stream a short while back (playlist here). I also saw some dudes doing a Puzzle Fighter tournament. Rotanibor is a very active Vampire Savior player who quite often hosts tournaments. You might want to keep a look out for tournament announcements via Twitter or stuff. There is also this page: http://www.fightcade.com/replay/. But that's just for general replays (it's a damn nifty page though, I like it a lot).
    Links and Usernames: Steam | Fightcade | CFN/XBL: UtilityKeys
    Currently playing Street Fighter V and Killer Instinct on PC, on break from Super Turbo & 3rd Strike.
    'doukens in asses
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    is this ggpo or damdai's setup or a new one?
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

SNAAAAKE wrote: »
    is this ggpo or damdai's setup or a new one?

Not based off Damdai's supercade. Based off of existing open source GGPO code since the original GGPO product is for most intents and purposes dead.

• marumarumarumaru Joined: Posts: 3
    pof wrote: »

mmm.. I feel its way too slow in Turbo1(US turbo0).
    I think its the best way to set the same speed as we play ggpo, that means Turbo2(US Turbo1).
    I think we need some vote to change speed or keep it. If I make http://strawpoll.me/3346158 like this and get some opinion, can u change the speed ?
  • ExposedDExposedD NO SQUIGGERINO Joined: Posts: 6,383
    It's fine as it is. No need for no polls! :relaxed:
    affinity wrote: »
    I mean, you can't even play as a cat in that game. wtf. it's 2017.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    It's called Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog, not Sonic the Cat, you dumb bitch.
  • SNAAAAKESNAAAAKE WHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!? Joined: Posts: 13,098 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    ExposedD wrote: »

yo mom needs my poll doe :relaxed:
    you must defeat my Shen Long to receive the reward

• ExposedDExposedD NO SQUIGGERINO Joined: Posts: 6,383
    SNAAAAKE wrote: »
    ExposedD wrote: »

yo mom needs my poll doe :relaxed:

252.jpg
    affinity wrote: »
    I mean, you can't even play as a cat in that game. wtf. it's 2017.
    chadouken! wrote: »
    It's called Sonic the Fucking Hedgehog, not Sonic the Cat, you dumb bitch.
    When will FightCade have an Emperor of FightCade tournament?
    LOL, I lastscened this Korean player in 3S:

fightcade://challenge-9633-1421142475.27@sfiii3n
  • SesshomaruSesshomaru Joined: Posts: 576
    Fun fact, japanese players play each other at T0 even when their latency to each other is <50ms

Lower speed is better for online, simple like that.
    Sesshomaru wrote: »
    Fun fact, japanese players play each other at T0 even when their latency to each other is <50ms

Lower speed is better for online, simple like that.

Constantly messing with speed settings without bringing it up for discussion and/or a vote is bizarre to me. And no, just because the japanese supposedly do it isn't a good reason. One of the main reasons ST is my favorite SF is because it doesn't play like molasses (WW, CE, Super).
  • luckyjimluckyjim Joined: Posts: 117
    I just tried to get FightCade set up the other day during the arkadeum stream, but no matter what the game feels like it's running at a really low framerate. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong? I have heard of people having similar issues with GGPO, and I may have had the same issues with GGPO (I don't really use it). I already have all my Windows desktop settings set to best performance and I have tried running the game fullscreen to see if that makes a difference, but to no avail :(
    luckyjim wrote: »
    I just tried to get FightCade set up the other day during the arkadeum stream, but no matter what the game feels like it's running at a really low framerate. Is there something obvious I'm doing wrong? I have heard of people having similar issues with GGPO, and I may have had the same issues with GGPO (I don't really use it). I already have all my Windows desktop settings set to best performance and I have tried running the game fullscreen to see if that makes a difference, but to no avail :(

Are you sure you don't realize Fightcade is running ST at Turbo 1 (which is US Turbo 0)? Makes the game feel very slow. GGPO also had the Turbo setting set slow too.
  • UnessentialUnessential Joined: Posts: 1,168
    since T2 on World is WAY too fast [snip]

Those constant lies we've been told about ST (that world speeds are the same as US speeds) and reaffirmed when people ask about speed standards all these years.
    <quitjockinmystyle> everybody i wil approve what is cheating moves or not.
    STToronto https://www.facebook.com/groups/499056723549379/
    Because very few ST players check SRK anymore. mostly it's the local facebook group and NHC.
    PM me here or on facebook if you need a stick mod or repair. Same with arcade boards and superguns.
    Those constant lies we've been told about ST (that world speeds are the same as US speeds) and reaffirmed when people ask about speed standards all these years.

I guess it was just an assumption, but no one really gave a shit about the World version of ST until it was used for GGPO (why over US or JAP rom? dunno).
  • luckyjimluckyjim Joined: Posts: 117

Are you sure you don't realize Fightcade is running ST at Turbo 1 (which is US Turbo 0)? Makes the game feel very slow. GGPO also had the Turbo setting set slow too.

Hm.. it doesn't seem like it - I just playing around with the turbo settings to see if that made a difference but it still feels strange. My point of comparison is SSF2X running on demul, trying the same characters and stage. It just doesn't look smooth at all on Fightcade so it definitely feels like a framerate issue.

Just played around with the 'experimental' blitter on FightCade in fullscreen and it feels a little better, maybe I'll play around some more and see if it helps.
    Everyone knows that offline arcade versions are slower than their equivalent GGPO/FightCade versions
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335

Hm.. it doesn't seem like it - I just playing around with the turbo settings to see if that made a difference but it still feels strange. My point of comparison is SSF2X running on demul, trying the same characters and stage. It just doesn't look smooth at all on Fightcade so it definitely feels like a framerate issue.

Just played around with the 'experimental' blitter on FightCade in fullscreen and it feels a little better, maybe I'll play around some more and see if it helps.

The FBA version that both GGPO and FightCade use is quite out of date - the latest FBA has had some fixes done to fix frameskip and stutter issues as well as alleviate the (horrendous IMO) input delay. It's really obvious when you switch between arcade back to the old FBA, there's substantial input delay there. I know that in my case it isn't due to my monitor since I can play HD remix and it feels lagless, and I can play ShmupMAME with ST and it feels even more responsive than HD remix. So it's all on FBA, and I do wish pof/ponder can eventually switch to using the latest FBA emulator at the very least.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
    t both GGPO and FightCade use is quite out of date - the latest FBA has had some fixes done to fix frameskip and stutter issues as well as alleviate the (horrendous IMO) input delay. It's really obvious when you switch between arcade back to the old FBA, there's substantial input delay there. I know that in my case it isn't due to my monitor since I can play HD remix and it feels lagless, and I can play ShmupMAME with ST and it feels even more responsive than HD remix. So it's all on FBA, and I do wish pof/ponder can eventually switch to using the latest FBA emulator at the very least.

Agreed. Shmupmame, with the right settings, feels most like arcade ST with all the timing differences and what not.

Having interviewed Pof previously, switching to a new emulator won't be as simple as "select file" function. It requires a LOT of programming to make that switch happen, since the GGPO library was programmed to make it work specifically with that version of FBA.

Last time I spoke with him, he said he's looking into several options to get Fightcade moving away from FBA, but it'll be a long time until changes are actually implemented.

• hanasuhanasu Joined: Posts: 130
    edited February 2015
    So it's all on FBA, and I do wish pof/ponder can eventually switch to using the latest FBA emulator at the very least.

It would literally take months of nonstop work to do this. The entire netcode DLL would have to be rewritten from scratch. People need to chill.

Twitter | Twitch | Youtube