Fightcade ST discussion!

Comments

• UCFinishUCFinish Tim Joined: Posts: 109
    Glad I came across this thread. I've been curious why online default is JP Turbo 1, and I see that its been answered.
    Thanks.
    Video games aren't supposed to make you feel miserable.
  • OhioNitsudOhioNitsud Joined: Posts: 81
    Been wanting to play this game for a couple years now. I'm hoping that learning the fundamentals here will help me in other fighters. I read some of the wiki, will go back and read it again and go over character strategy for Ryu and Ken. Is the AI rubberband?
  • BoggleMindsBoggleMinds Joined: Posts: 335
    edited February 2015
    hanasu wrote: »
    So it's all on FBA, and I do wish pof/ponder can eventually switch to using the latest FBA emulator at the very least.

It would literally take months of nonstop work to do this. The entire netcode DLL would have to be rewritten from scratch. People need to chill.

I'm a software developer myself, so I understand that often something that seems simple is in reality a lot more complicated! That said, I wonder what exactly about the netcode library makes it so tightly coupled to the old version of FBA and making an upgrade a daunting task. I'm guessing the netcode DLL that Ponder wrote (which of course is close-sourced) is hardcoded to use the old FBA? I can see how that could prevent us from ever upgrading unless Ponder decides to either 1) release the source code (never happening), or 2) spend time to update the DLL (also probably never happening given how busy he is with Stonehearth).

Sadly my C++ and C# proficiency is at a basic level (I'm a Java dev), otherwise I'd be interested in looking into providing assistance as it's a shame that fixes exist for FBA's frameskip/lag issues, but for various reasons we might never see those used in GGPO/Fightcade.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    GGPO Handle: Gizzle
  • SpinalBloodSpinalBlood Sagat Wins Joined: Posts: 252
    Sesshomaru wrote: »
    Fun fact, japanese players play each other at T0 even when their latency to each other is <50ms

Lower speed is better for online, simple like that.

Constantly messing with speed settings without bringing it up for discussion and/or a vote is bizarre to me. And no, just because the japanese supposedly do it isn't a good reason. One of the main reasons ST is my favorite SF is because it doesn't play like molasses (WW, CE, Super).

I don't agree. It may not be a good reason but it still gives a clear indication by someone who should know the arcade better than anyone. I personally think that on Fightcade, the game is smoother on turbo 1 jap. The emulation is faster compared to hdremix or cabinet, so no matter if t3 jap is normally used, t1 feels closer to me than t2, but especially smoother. I think pof is right about frameskip

• SesshomaruSesshomaru Joined: Posts: 576
  • Jion_WansuJion_Wansu Joined: Posts: 6,033
    Is FightCade down? I can't connect...
  • x64x64 Fuck your SRK Joined: Posts: 3,187
    Not a big fan of twitter myself but it is useful in situations like this: https://twitter.com/fightcade

pof usually tells you when something is going on there.
    ST/HDR/USF2: Honda/Rog/O.Hawk | USF4: Bison | SFV: Ryu :(
    XBL: mr x64 | PSN: deadpool_zero | SFV: epistaxis64
    Fightcade/USF2: x64
    pof, can we get Street Fighter II - the world warrior (910206) for FightCade
  • dialupsuckydialupsucky FINAL SHOWDOWN Joined: Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭✭✭ OG
    try i tried to play fight cade for the first time in maybe 6 months recently. Completely unplayable still. has anyone gotten this to work correctly on windows 8 yet? its ridiculous . Guess ill try again at the end of the year or maybe when windows 10 comes out lol
    Doesnt matter if its ST or what game. Its just slow, it lags and it drops inputs for me all over the place. If I mess with any settings it gets even worse. Oh well..
    Windows 8 (and to a lesser extent 7) are one of the reasons why GGPO/FightCade has declined in usage over the years. I actually don't think the "Win 7 DWM fix" that the FBA developers implemented really fixed much - what I noticed is that the best improvement came from totally disabling DWM via a hack. Now it runs pretty well in that input lag is reduced a lot. I'm not sure who to blame - Microsoft developers for forcing DWM on and making it really hard to disable, or emulator devs who a) don't test enough on Windows, and b) don't seem to care about lagless gameplay. At least ShmupMAME is a notable exception to this.
    "My first visit to an arcade changed my life. It was such a sensational experience. The fact I got to play with total strangers and connect with them through the game enthralled me." --Daigo Umehara

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
  • eltroubleeltrouble Joined: Posts: 5,714
    try i tried to play fight cade for the first time in maybe 6 months recently. Completely unplayable still. has anyone gotten this to work correctly on windows 8 yet? its ridiculous . Guess ill try again at the end of the year or maybe when windows 10 comes out lol
    Doesnt matter if its ST or what game. Its just slow, it lags and it drops inputs for me all over the place. If I mess with any settings it gets even worse. Oh well..

Might want to try contacting Pof directly (contact info at fightcade.com) and see what he can do to help. He's pretty open about trying to solve anyone's Fightcade issues, and if not, he'll work towards fixing it in the future.

That's the cool thing about Fightcade. Since it's still being supported by the devs, you can actually get help, unlike GGPO nowadays.
    Digging the player profiles @pof. Are you planning on letting players edit their profile in any way? Changed my avatar but I want moar lol.
  • scratchbackscratchback Joined: Posts: 1,042
    Quick question guys. I recently started playing ST on fightcade but today for some reason I opened up the game and there was no sound. Have no idea what happened and I can't seem to figure out how to get the sound back. Any ideas?
  • Smashbro29Smashbro29 Waiting for the new Framemeister... Joined: Posts: 7,199
    How do I get this to go fullscreen retain aspect ratio and actually utilize the screen?
    Smashbro29 wrote: »
    How do I get this to go fullscreen retain aspect ratio and actually utilize the screen?

Untitled_zpstyn11vom.png

Took a snapshot for you. Open GGPOfba.exe in your fightcade folder and change the monitor setting to whatever your computer monitor's native AR is.
    This probably should be its own thread as this is a Fightcade client discussion thread. I'll answer anyway:
    Vindicator wrote: »
    New to ST, I have some quick noobie questions:

Gief, Hawk, Honda jump in with heavy or light or get a knockdown and do a standing or crouching light, the only way I can get out of the command grab is to do a special, right? If I use Claw I can do his flip kick (3 Punch or 3 Kick) and I assume the 3 Punch version is better. If I'm using Dictator, which special do I do?

You die. Heh. No seriously, Bison only has one reversal, his super. So if you don't have a super stocked and you're about to eat a command grab, you can ether attempt a reversal throw (assuming you aren't out of throw range) or jump backwards and hope their command grab timing was off. If you are fighting someone who knows what they are doing and they catch you near a corner, you're dead. That's the nature of SF2 and playing Bison in general (Can't jump out of command grabs and Bison has limited reversal options).
    How to get better at using Charge characters?

Practice dude. Get set up with a ST training mode somehow (MAME/HDR/Dreamcast) and start trying to find a feel for how fast you can get a charged move out. The more you practice, the easier it will be to get a feel on how much charge you need. Like second nature.

• BurnYourEgoBurnYourEgo Ishikawa don't care about your weeabullshit avatar. Joined: Posts: 1,997
    New to ST, I have some quick noobie questions:

Gief, Hawk, Honda jump in with heavy or light or get a knockdown and do a standing or crouching light, the only way I can get out of the command grab is to do a special, right? If I use Claw I can do his flip kick (3 Punch or 3 Kick) and I assume the 3 Punch version is better. If I'm using Dictator, which special do I do?

How to get better at using Charge characters? Playing any fighting game made in the last 15 years and then going to this is quite the culture shock, there is no leniency for charge moves. I know you have to charge for 2 seconds but it feels closer to 3 seconds and I can never pull off a charge super when I need to.

Characters I hate:

Chun (just because of her throw damage)
    And all the Grapplers.

Actually, most charge moves only have to be held for 60 frames, or 1 second. I think the longest is 78 frames or 1.3 seconds.
    Steam: BurnYourEgo: Terribly playing KOFXIII and Xrd, want to learn Skullgirls
    Fightcade:Bathtub_Leviathan: ST, maybe 3s
  • TenshoTensho Joined: Posts: 2,866
    What's the difference between ggpofba and ggpofba-ng in the fightcade folder?
  • albertinoalbertino Joined: Posts: 19
    edited June 2015
    Quick question guys. I recently started playing ST on fightcade but today for some reason I opened up the game and there was no sound. Have no idea what happened and I can't seem to figure out how to get the sound back. Any ideas?

I don't have any sound in the game demo/title sequence but once I start a game the sound is there - have checked my roms and everything seems correct. Have you tried inserting credits and starting? This isn't...by design is it..? I have the same results using the latest version of FBA.

Edit - it's not by design - there should be music/sound effects during the title sequence. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue!
    Post edited by albertino on
    albertino wrote: »
    Edit - it's not by design - there should be music/sound effects during the title sequence. Glad I'm not the only one having this issue!

The game's attract mode is probably silent by default.

• albertinoalbertino Joined: Posts: 19
    D'oh - that's probably it - how embarrassing :p
  • Missing PersonMissing Person Righto. Joined: Posts: 13,811
    I've never had sound during the attract.
    XBL: WatCnBrwnDo4U | PSN: LanierIsPlusEV/FORpowerfulGame | CFN: MissingPerson/YddeDdeDe GGPO/FightCade: Missing Person | Steam: [TAS] Missing Person | Battle.net: MissingPersn#1365
    Twitter: JTMMissingPersn | Instagram: jtmmissingperson | Twitch: twitch.tv/missingpersonsrk
    wonder if windows 10 will fix any of the problems with windows 8. It is still a free upgrade right?
    wonder if windows 10 will fix any of the problems with windows 8. It is still a free upgrade right?

I don't know anyone running fightcade in Win10 preview. Would be interesting to know. Doubt it though.

Sadly the FBA emulator (along with a lot of desktop applications) has issues with input lag because of the forced Desktop Window Manager in Windows 8.1 onwards. If DWM doesn't ring a bell, think Aero from Windows 7. It's basically the same thing. DWM is now so tightly integrated into the OS that there is no option to disable it without resorting to some ugly hacks. With DWM completely disabled (via hack), there's noticeably less input lag and tearing compared to running the latest FBA with the "Win7 DWM fix".

I'm actually surprised that not many people realise that Windows 8 (and therefore 10) all have a higher in-built lag than Windows XP. This affects ANY application that is running on the desktop and using the standard APIs to draw their UI (i.e. basically every program in existence). One of the workaround hacks I mentioned is to download Process Explorer, run it as Administrator, and then 1) Suspend winlogon.exe, 2) Kill dwm.exe. This actually stops the DWM, with the side effect that you get an ugly black bar on the side of your screen. On the plus side FBA feels a lot more responsive, on par with running on XP.

www.youtube.com/Guoguodi
    well windows 10 is out.. anyone try it out yet to see if it fixes any issues? I hvant bothered to dl it yet myself, since just getting my controller to work on windows 8 was a pain in the ass, let alone playing online =x
    I run mine on Windows 7
    Who keeps hacking FightCade
  • 7 5 07 5 0 Joined: Posts: 458
    Finally registered moments ago. I'll be at HSF2 and SSF2X.
    LOL, he's baaaaack...

fightcade://challenge-7571-1440247766.19@ssf2xj
    Would be cool if pof enabled cheats online so that we can use Gill and Shin Gouki in 3S. Never seen anyone use Shin Gouki in a competitive matchup on 3S. Also, this would enable Shin Gouki for ST as well
    edited October 2015
    pof should ban Jion
    Bet if we get this on FightCade then everyone will play this:

• MrMelonGodMrMelonGod I LIVE for ScrubQuotes Joined: Posts: 124
    Out of all the lobbies Super Turbo is the least salty. Thank god because I'm shit.
    pof should allow the world warrior hack and enable cheats to use Gill in 3S. Would be interesting to see what happens if Gill is playable along with Shin Gouki online
  • hlidskjafthlidskjaft Joined: Posts: 32
    is fightcade currently down? i can't seem to log in.
  • PencileroPencilero Joined: Posts: 162
    Quick Fightcade question.

I'm using the Mac client, and I received my first challenge last night; but my P1 button mappings did not work. I attempted to map the buttons to the P2 side, but nothing happened during the match.

1. How do I map my joystick inputs in the event I end up on the 2P side?
    2. Is there a quick custom input reset?

Thanks, and maybe we'll cross paths some day. I'm just a bit weary since it's been years.
    Things I draw, some times fighting game related:
    Instagram and DeviantArt
  • JedahsMinistryJedahsMinistry BattousaiCV Joined: Posts: 542
    Pof working on integrating a newer FBA

Hopefully this fixes the issues a lot of us have with newer Windows versions
    Gettysburg, PA
    Netplay Poverty - http://www.twitch.tv/randomalt
    X-Men COTA and stuff - http://www.youtube.com/user/BattousaiCV
    Blurbs about games - http://twitter.com/BattousaiCV